Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I wish I knew why people were so bothered by it.

I just find it odd that it seems to be becoming more common. Or I'm just seeing fewer movies in the theater that don't appeal to post movie clappers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gyges posted:

I just find it odd that it seems to be becoming more common. Or I'm just seeing fewer movies in the theater that don't appeal to post movie clappers.

I guess I remember it happening at random films. I remember people clapping at the end of Malcolm X, Forrest Gump, Titanic, etc.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

By far my favorite part of Civil War was the casual undercurrent that even in-universe everyone considers the events of Age of Ultron to have been a pointless waste of time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wish I knew why people were so bothered by it.

They are clapping for no one.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Scyantific posted:

Pre-liminary numbers are in for CW, estimated $181.1 million dollar opening weekend, making it the third highest Disney/Marvel opening on record. It basically doubled the opening weekend of Winter Soldier, and tripled the numbers for First Avenger.

.... and it's a really close third place, it's only $10m behind Avengers: Age of Ultron's opening weekend. It's also the fifth biggest opening weekend of all movies all time (unadjusted).

Plus it's already got half a billion international, and that's without the numbers from half the international markets (including China) which also opened this weekend. When those numbers come in it's international box office should be ahead of BvS's current international numbers.

It's also already beating The Incredible Hulk, Captain America: The First Avenger, Ant-Man and Thor's domestic totals and it's made roughly half as much as either Avengers films ended up making in total: CA:CW's current total is $678m and the Avengers films got $1.52b and $1.4b.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 8, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Steve2911 posted:

It's less weird than laugh tracks.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Watched it the other night, what a fun movie. I liked how the villain was just a normal person. Sure, he was dangerous, but he didn't have any super powers. He was smart, but not super-genius level or anything. Just a dedicated, pissed off survivor from Sokovia. A normal man destroyed the avengers while armies of aliens or robots couldn't..

Also, I thought Steve's distrust of UN oversight had more to do with what he dealt with in Winter Soldier: The last time there was an international organization (was SHIELD international? I don't remember it being really well defined) calling the shots it turned out to be controlled by Hydra.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

SHIELD had an international board it answered too and safe houses in Europe, so at the very least it's scope was international.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

It's a communal thing

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gyges posted:

His entire speel about giving up weapons has been bullshit from the beginning. He doesn't sell missiles or guns anymore. He's totally happy selling engines for war machines and developing less than lethal weapons. He's provided an Iron Man suit to the Air Force. While it's not stated that The Raft is a Stark design, the fact that it pops up from beneath the waves and the interior looks very Tech Interior Designs makes it seem likely. Prisoners are in little Star Trek brig rooms with glass and bars replacing force fields.

When did he provide one to the Air Force? The one Rhodey had in IM2 was confiscated from him and by Age of Ultron Rhodey has retired from active service and joined the Avengers.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Hat Thoughts posted:

It's a communal thing

They are communally clapping for no one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lt. Danger posted:

They are clapping for each other. We all had a great time, didn't we?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lt. Danger posted:

Well I mean it's just like, "We are all appreciating this, & hell, it feels good to all agree on how good this is" (i didnt clap cuz I wasnt too hot on the movie but y'know)
Anyways even when u got a specific clap target it's usually not actually for them either, I remember when I played Basketball it always surprised me how much applause/yelling there were in the tapes bcuz I didn't/couldn't focus on it when I was playing.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

When did he provide one to the Air Force? The one Rhodey had in IM2 was confiscated from him and by Age of Ultron Rhodey has retired from active service and joined the Avengers.

I vaguely remember Nick Fury telling Tony that he could have stopped Rhodey any time he wanted to, and Tony didn't have a response. He probably could have had Jarvis autopilot the suit back home as soon as Rhodey got out of it, or at the very least demanded/stolen it back after the events of iron man 2 (though this would have probably created a big fuss if he tried).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He just happens to have no problem with the working relationship they have.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's a spontaneous thing what happens sometimes. One time I was alone watching the Oscars and Amy Adams sang "Happy Working Song" and I clapped at the end, briefly forgetting where I was.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gyges posted:

His entire speel about giving up weapons has been bullshit from the beginning. He doesn't sell missiles or guns anymore. He's totally happy selling engines for war machines and developing less than lethal weapons. He's provided an Iron Man suit to the Air Force. While it's not stated that The Raft is a Stark design, the fact that it pops up from beneath the waves and the interior looks very Tech Interior Designs makes it seem likely. Prisoners are in little Star Trek brig rooms with glass and bars replacing force fields.

Ah, the "What the movies explicitly state and show is lying because it doesn't fit my image of the character."

Stark Industries isn't the only megacorp in the Marvel universe - the Raft is more likely to have been built by Hammer Industries or some such, and Stark notes in IM2 that Hammer is only one of many competitors filling the military-industrial void that Stark Industries left. Also, Rhodey stole his original Iron Man suit and Stark has continued to work with him because it's a huge point of the movies he's in that Tony Stark can't (and indeed shouldn't) handle everything by himself. What we see of Stark Industries (as distinct from Tony's pet projects) in the movies after IM1 shows them to now be primarily a computer tech/aerospace/energy megacorp that's huge on global outreach and education.

Tony Stark in the movies is a good man who makes mistakes, then does his damndest to fix them. He has perhaps the purest sense of personal responsibility of any Avenger even as he's the most visibly flawed of the group as well.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 8, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's less weird than laugh tracks.

I agree that they're both dumb, but at least laugh tracks have the purpose of telling the audience when to laugh. If your show is made for children or monkeys that's a good boost.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cythereal posted:

What we see of Stark Industries (as distinct from Tony's pet projects) in the movies after IM1 shows them to now be primarily a computer tech/aerospace/energy megacorp that's huge on global outreach and education.

That had an army of robocops at the ready, for some reason.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

As Nero Danced posted:

Watched it the other night, what a fun movie. I liked how the villain was just a normal person. Sure, he was dangerous, but he didn't have any super powers. He was smart, but not super-genius level or anything. Just a dedicated, pissed off survivor from Sokovia. A normal man destroyed the avengers while armies of aliens or robots couldn't..

Also, I thought Steve's distrust of UN oversight had more to do with what he dealt with in Winter Soldier: The last time there was an international organization (was SHIELD international? I don't remember it being really well defined) calling the shots it turned out to be controlled by Hydra.

I liked it especially because They never really get to confront him and in the end he just goes to jail with the smug satisfaction that he kind of won

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

To aid in the whole superhero thing and were the result of Tony getting bored. Iron Man 3 makes a point that they're mostly superfluous.

AoU's Iron Legion seemed to only be used for crowd control until Ultron modified them for his debut.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
So "guy who creates drone riot cops because he's bored" is just an all around great guy. Hmm.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I thought this was the most fun Marvel movie since Guardians. I still narrowly put Winter Soldier above it for overall best flick they've done. Ant Man stole the show. Rudd has comic timing that's a level above everyone else in the cast. I was mildly excited for the next Ant Man but now I'm fired up for it.

Also thought the ending fight scene was the best sequence in any MCU movie. Big spoiler I actually bought Captain America killing Iron Man for a minute because of the blow to the arc reactor and RDJ's acting looking like he was about to have a heart attack. The runway fight with everyone was super fun, but that one-on-two tussle at the end was so great.

Not quite sold on Black Panther yet. Cool suit but something's missing for me right now. Can someone drop some knowledge on me re: his best stories and villains so I can do some reading?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

What? They're basically meant to stand in one spot and tell people to avoid the explosions and poo poo.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

sigmachiev posted:

Also thought the ending fight scene was the best sequence in any MCU movie. Big spoiler I actually bought Captain America killing Iron Man for a minute because of the blow to the arc reactor and RDJ's acting looking like he was about to have a heart attack. The runway fight with everyone was super fun, but that one-on-two tussle at the end was so great.
I hadn't seen any of these in a while and definitely had a "whoa there, Steve" moment because I couldn't remember whether Tony had solved his heart issue.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Batham posted:

:colbert: Only when the people involved in creating the film are also in the theater.

The entire point of pretending a forum like this has any meaning is "Death of the author". But also, manifestly, the author is still around. We see them uncomfortable at press junkets and ComiCon and the like. Therefore the author, who is both dead and still existing, is some form of ghost.

Ghosts are always with you

Applaud the drat movie or they'll watch you do naked stuff.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

So "guy who creates drone riot cops because he's bored" is just an all around great guy. Hmm.

Try "Guy who creates drones to assist a team of a small group of people since they can't be everywhere at once." Or "Guy who creates drones to fight supervillains so people won't have to risk their lives fighting evil."

Tony explicitly states in Age of Ultron that he was trying to end and replace the team so everyone could go home and get on with their lives, leaving the superheroics and life-threatening battles to robots instead.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cythereal posted:

Tony explicitly states in Age of Ultron that he was trying to end and replace the team so everyone could go home and get on with their lives, leaving the superheroics and life-threatening battles to robots instead.

TFRazorsaw posted:

What? They're basically meant to stand in one spot and tell people to avoid the explosions and poo poo.

That doesn't strike you as the least bit funny? This is a straightforwardly utopian idea?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

I hadn't seen any of these in a while and definitely had a "whoa there, Steve" moment because I couldn't remember whether Tony had solved his heart issue.

He complains about his left arm going numb. He doesn't have shrapnel or an arc reactor shaped hole in his chest anymore but that doesn't mean his heart is a-ok.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cythereal posted:

Try "Guy who creates drones to assist a team of a small group of people since they can't be everywhere at once." Or "Guy who creates drones to fight supervillains so people won't have to risk their lives fighting evil."

He probably also made Falcon's little drone buddy Redwing. Dude just can't stop making drones.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
It was a pretty good movie, not as good as Winter Soldier or GOTG, but still really good. I'm now interested in the spider-man movie next year so good job Marvel machine. The tonal shift from the first 30-40 minutes to when spiderman shows up is pretty jarring but was welcome.
So when do characters next show up?
Iron man and Spiderman are in Spiderman's movie, Black Panther is in his own movie, Ant-man is in ant-man/wasp. Will bucky or cap show up in Black Panther? Rhodes, Falcon, Hawkeye, Black widow are probably out til Infinity War. Vision and Scarlett Witch are too, which I am kind of bummed about. I would like to see what happens with Scarlett Witch, she seems pretty hosed up by the end of this movie. Partial heel turn in Infinity War?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

He complains about his left arm going numb. He doesn't have shrapnel or an arc reactor shaped hole in his chest anymore but that doesn't mean his heart is a-ok.
There is that, and as I thought of just now, he definitely now has cause to wonder, would it have stopped Steve if he'd still had the reactor implanted?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking forward to the Black Panther and Spider-Man movies. Civil War managed to explain the motivations of a dozen superheroes to fight one another than BvS could for only two. If even a couple of them were just going along because they're star-struck, the movie crammed a lot of character work in while still delivering some big set pieces.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

sigmachiev posted:

Not quite sold on Black Panther yet. Cool suit but something's missing for me right now. Can someone drop some knowledge on me re: his best stories and villains so I can do some reading?

Wait a bit and pick up the new Black Panther written by motherfucking Ta-Nehisi Coates.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He probably also made Falcon's little drone buddy Redwing. Dude just can't stop making drones.

Considering he made everyone's new gear in Age of Ultron, Tony presumably asked all the Avengers "Hey, I'm a tech genius with a budget of 'yes.' What gear do you want?" He directly noted that Steve was in charge of the Avengers, Tony provided the funding, infrastructure, and tech.

He probably upgraded Falcon's suit to the bulletproof wings he has in Civil War, made Hawkeye's staff, Widow's electro-suit, Steve's shield tractor beam from Ultron, and so on and so forth.

Then Spiderman also said that Tony built Spidey's suit and gear in this movie.

Honestly, maybe the best thing for Tony to do would be to retire and just be the Avengers' official toymaker. The only Avengers who don't owe any of their kit to Tony are Thor, Hulk, Ant Man, and Scarlet Witch (even then she raided Stark Tower's wardrobe in Age of Ultron).

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 8, 2016

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That doesn't strike you as the least bit funny? This is a straightforwardly utopian idea?

Ultron was meant to be a replacement superhero, yes. But they were trying to make a JARVIS-like artificial intelligence; not just a killbot but effectively a "person".

That doesn't change the fact that the Iron Legion is only ever deployed to keep people from wandering into harm's way during a firefight, and he only deploys the suit army when he finds a situation too big to handle as just one "man". That's a responsible use of resources.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Black Panther is at his best when he is deep in dealing with political bullshit and having to balance being a king, his personal wants, and doing what is right by the world.

This was nailed perfectly in that final conversation between him and Zemo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tyree posted:

So when do characters next show up?
Iron man and Spiderman are in Spiderman's movie, Black Panther is in his own movie, Ant-man is in ant-man/wasp. Will bucky or cap show up in Black Panther? Rhodes, Falcon, Hawkeye, Black widow are probably out til Infinity War. Vision and Scarlett Witch are too, which I am kind of bummed about. I would like to see what happens with Scarlett Witch, she seems pretty hosed up by the end of this movie. Partial heel turn in Infinity War?

The upcoming films are:

Doctor Strange November 4, 2016
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 May 5, 2017
Spider-Man: Homecoming July 7, 2017
Thor: Ragnarok November 3, 2017
Black Panther February 16, 2018
Avengers: Infinity War – Part 1 May 4, 2018
Ant-Man and the Wasp July 6, 2018
Captain Marvel March 8, 2019
Avengers: Infinity War – Part 2 May 3, 2019

Ruffalo has said he will appear in the Thor movie so if those guys are doing an intergalactic road trip thing there's a chance they might have cameos in Guardians of the Galaxy, or vice versa. Black Panther might also feature the 'criminal' Avengers who were on Captain America's side since they ended up in Wakanda at the end of Civil War. Who knows who else will appear in Spider-Man. I'd expect at least one major character to die on Infinity War Part 1 so who knows who'll be left after that.

Cythereal posted:

The only Avengers who don't owe any of their kit to Tony are Thor, Hulk, Ant Man, and Scarlet Witch (even then she raided Stark Tower's wardrobe in Age of Ultron).

Well, Banner co-built Veronica with Stark but I guess they both benefited from that equally

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

A deployable fleet of emergency response workers able to act in extreme conditions performing humanitarian aid while depicting a human-esque form in order to ease discomfort across language barriers.

Yes, that's identical to an army of RoboCop's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PJOmega posted:

A deployable fleet of emergency response workers able to act in extreme conditions performing humanitarian aid while depicting a human-esque form in order to ease discomfort across language barriers.

That's literally the opening scene of RoboCop (2014).

TFRazorsaw posted:

Ultron was meant to be a replacement superhero, yes. But they were trying to make a JARVIS-like artificial intelligence; not just a killbot but effectively a "person".

He became a person. How'd that work out?

• Locked thread