Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Dirk the Average posted:

Is there a reason why a dictation software is preferred over alternative hardware? Functionally there should be mouse-equivalents operatable with the feet, or the tongue, elbow, or some other novel method that does not involve the wrists or hands. I doubt they would be as useful for, say, typing, but I imagine a trackball operated by foot or something like that would be effective for moving a mouse around the screen.

Because it is software. Microphones are common and cheap, and specialized input hardware is the opposite.
Sure, you can get a robot arm with built in synthesizer, but that kind of stuff needs to be custom fit. And even for a foot trackball you need to take off your shoe which is already difficult with impaired arms, it needs to be unusually sized (making it expensive), you need to practice with it, you need to set it up in a special space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I wonder how difficult it would be to adapt a DDR pad for general use. Although using one of those (especially sitting down) would require some dexterity, and the home versions recommend taking off shoes.

I used to daydream about making a foot-controlled joystick. Not so much for accessibility, but to improve my gaming.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you wanted a foot controlled mouse design, I think a super-sized track point (nub mouse) would be the best fit. You could also have different nub covers for shoe, socks, barefoot etc use. One foot you lightly nudge in each direction to move, and a couple switches to press with the other foot.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Going back for a second: It's me. I'm the guy who steps on all the Hanako landmines. I'm an innate helper who struggles a lot with social awareness. Routes like this just remind of how much of human interaction is just an absolute minefield for me.

I did Rei's route awhile ago. I tried to do Misha's route but I ran into a problem where the beginning was so repetitive (even with skipping text) that my ADHD kicked up and caused my body to tense up (it's a weird thing that happens to me). And also I didn't know if I was on Misha's route or Shizune's.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ChrisBTY posted:

Going back for a second: It's me. I'm the guy who steps on all the Hanako landmines. I'm an innate helper who struggles a lot with social awareness. Routes like this just remind of how much of human interaction is just an absolute minefield for me.

Same, Hanako was my first route after the Manly Picnic, and after she blew up in my face I was like "Okay, getting a walkthrough. Because I want to at least intentionally trigger bad ends."

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

I did Rei's route awhile ago. I tried to do Misha's route but I ran into a problem where the beginning was so repetitive (even with skipping text) that my ADHD kicked up and caused my body to tense up (it's a weird thing that happens to me). And also I didn't know if I was on Misha's route or Shizune's.

Shizune's. There is no Misha route.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

nielsm posted:

If you wanted a foot controlled mouse design, I think a super-sized track point (nub mouse) would be the best fit. You could also have different nub covers for shoe, socks, barefoot etc use. One foot you lightly nudge in each direction to move, and a couple switches to press with the other foot.

I've heard good things about the Microsoft adaptive controller for people wanting foot-control, though you'll need to map one of the joysticks to a mouse input. It's pretty pricey between the base hub and accessibility peripherals, but it's definitely cheaper than a robust dancegame pad at the very least.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
I'm most of the way through Shizune's Act 1 part now, and god I forgot how infuriating she is at first :negative:. She gets better even before the end of the act, but she's the sort of person that's only acceptable in the most anime of circumstances.

Explopyro posted:

I'll do my best, for better or worse. Here's the way I've been doing it with ShareX.

To set up ShareX to upload things to LPix (you only need to do this once):

1. Go to this page and copy all of the text in the white box to your clipboard.
2. Open ShareX.
3. Go to Destinations -> Image Uploader and pick Custom Image Uploader.
4. Go to Destinations -> Custom Uploader Settings.
5. Click Import -> From Clipboard. (On the left panel, partway down.) This should add lpix as a custom uploader.
6. On the right side, you should see the username, password, gallery fields. Fill these in with your credentials appropriately (for your LPix account, not your forums account). I usually make a new gallery for each update (and change the setting here before I upload), but organise things how you like; if you're just using the default gallery, leave Default here.
7. Close the window. You should now be ready to upload images.

To upload images:

Upload -> Upload File (to upload a single image)
Upload -> Upload Folder (batch upload an entire directory at once). It will ask you to confirm ("do you want to upload 100 images?") before starting.

Once the images are uploaded, they'll show up in the main window, you can right-click them there and pick "copy URL" to get the link to the image. Although what I usually do is just open the LPix gallery in my browser and copy the URLs from there, I name them sequentially so I can just go down the list and paste them into the appropriate location in my post.

I hope that broke it down enough to be helpful, maybe?

The program is more powerful and does other things than this, but this is all I need from it, so I haven't really experimented with other features. When my average update is 150-200 images, it isn't really practical to do them individually.

If you're only doing 15ish images per post and your current methodology is working for you, you might not want to go through the hassle, but IMO it's worth it at any point beyond single-digit numbers of images.

It works! I've gone ahead and added that to the post, plus information on automating the process with VBA.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Falconier111 posted:

She gets better even before the end of the act, but she's the sort of person that's only acceptable in the most anime of circumstances.

I'm stealing "in the most anime of circumstances."

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Thunk posted:

Shizune's. There is no Misha route.

Do we at least find out why Misha is in that school? Also wow, bummer. Personality wise Shizune is far and away my least favorite character.

Dareon posted:

Same, Hanako was my first route after the Manly Picnic, and after she blew up in my face I was like "Okay, getting a walkthrough. Because I want to at least intentionally trigger bad ends."

A thing about the bad ending. Like; I'm very sad that you are angry and you hate me but I am also happy that you are speaking multiple sentences without ellipses.
I really wish we weren't doing Rei last. Her chapter is SO MUCH and I wanna talk about it.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 27, 2021

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

Do we at least find out why Misha is in that school? Also wow, bummer. Personality wise Shizune is far and away my least favorite character.

A thing about the bad ending. Like; I'm very sad that you are angry and you hate me but I am also happy that you are speaking multiple sentences without ellipses.
I really wish we weren't doing Rei last. Her chapter is SO MUCH and I wanna talk about it.

Shizune's route shows why Misha is in the school. Shizune's Bad End doubles as Misha's "route", but it's really bad.. I thought Shizune's chapter did a lot to explain her character, but it seems to me that in Lily's chapter everyone around you is simply better off somehow. Even Kenji.

I played Rin's chapter last and I'm glad I did. I don't think I'd have had the energy to continue playing the game after that. Rin's chapter is exhausting and not even remotely similar to the others', but I guess that makes sense thematically.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

You learn a little bit about Misha via Lilys route. Interesting, Lily's route also involves Hanako getting involved and making friends outside of you and Lily. Given her attraction for Hisao is in Chapter 1 already, it's an interesting twist on Hanakos character that seeing a guy she likes get close but go for someone else other than her seems to be a positive development for her.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Nothingtoseehere posted:

You learn a little bit about Misha via Lilys route. Interesting, Lily's route also involves Hanako getting involved and making friends outside of you and Lily. Given her attraction for Hisao is in Chapter 1 already, it's an interesting twist on Hanakos character that seeing a guy she likes get close but go for someone else other than her seems to be a positive development for her.

It makes sense for Hanako though; she gives it a bit of a shot and everything goes fine. It doesn't go perfectly, of course, but she makes a friend, and presumably Hisao isn't a dick to her.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 60: Detour Ahead

Katawa Shoujo OST - Wiosna

:eng101: Time to do it all again, folks! Shizune’s path in Act 1 is a little odd in that it’s kind of two paths that branch off from different points in the scene structure before meeting and skipping the bulk of the rest of the act. Think less Emi’s route overriding other choices and more it zooming off in an entirely different direction. But first, let’s head back and deal with that big early choice in Update 8 one last time. :eng101:

Katawa Shoujo OST - Daylight

What to do…

>Read my book.
>Wait for Shizune and Misha to reach a decision.
>Go talk with Hanako.

:eng101: Path less traveled it is. :eng101:

=>Wait for Shizune and Misha to reach a decision.

Misha and Shizune are still arguing about their choice for lunch place, incomprehensible for a pair of high school students who have to take a taxi at least to make it to downtown and back in time.

HISAO: "Haven't you finished, already?"

MISHA: "Oh, sorry Hicchan! Were you waiting for us?"

SHIZUNE: "..."

MISHA: "You don't have any plans?"

HISAO: "Plans?"

MISHA: "For lunch?"

HISAO: "Well, I don't, so I thought I could hang with you guys."

Misha smiles victoriously at my lack of plans, and excitedly translates my response to Shizune.

(Silence)

MISHA: "If you don't have anything specific planned out, do you want to eat lunch with me and Shicchan? Ah, we're going to go to town for lunch, though... Don't worry, Hicchan, it's not that far.

HISAO: "Sure, I'll come with you."

And with that, we leave the classroom.

:eng101: And with that, we merge back with the main narrative and skip further down in the update until we hit the point where Emi nearly gives us a heart attack. The part where Shizune chews her out doesn’t change, but the section immediately following it does. :eng101:

Katawa Shoujo OST - School Days

MISHA: "That's great, Hicchan!"

I wouldn't call that great, but I let it slide this one time.

MISHA: "So, let's hurry, Hicchan~! To have lunch! We promise it'll be great!"

HISAO: "I'll take your word for it. What kind of a place is it? A restaurant, or something?"

MISHA: "It's a teahouse, Hicchan~!"

A teahouse... that sounds kind of fancy.

MISHA: "Why are you looking at your wallet, Hicchan? It's okay, if you don't have any money we'll cover for you~!"

HISAO: "That's really nice of you. Thanks."

MISHA: "It's okay, Hicchan! After all, we're friends, right, Hicchan?"

It's only been three days. Are we really friends that quickly? Heh. But, hearing that makes me happy.

MISHA: "Ah, it's only for today, though, and only if you accept right now! Do you want to go, Hicchan?"

I start wondering if this is some kind of trap. Is this Misha's suggestion or Shizune's? This is important. I'm still a little apprehensive about the possible motives of a girl whose favorite pastime is the game of world domination. No, I'm just being paranoid. Actually, they have grown on me already, and I do have to go to town sometime. So why not now, with them? I've never actually been to a teahouse before. All my expectations are from what I've seen about them on TV. But those are period dramas, and these are modern times. It might just be a regular café, and they're just calling it a teahouse. Either way, I'm curious about that, too, so there's another reason for me to join them.

HISAO: "Sure."

MISHA: "That's great, Hicchan~! That's great, that's great! Yay~!"

Misha hops up and down briefly to show how happy she is, which causes a few heads to turn towards us. Shizune opts for a polite, tiny clap that lasts for all of two seconds before she goes back to looking stoic as usual.

HISAO: "Would it kill you to be a little happier, Shizune?"

MISHA: "Oh? I wasn't aware that Hicchan was a king. Hahahaha~!"

Shizune pushes her glasses up as Misha delivers her message totally without sarcasm. I guess it would sting more if she could say it with the intent Shizune meant behind it, so for once I'm happy to have Misha as a barrier between us.

HISAO: "I'm not telling you to jump for joy just because I'm having lunch with you. I'm not that arrogant."

She seems to accept this, and we head for town with Shizune leading the way.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Afternoon

Watching her walk in front of me, I notice that she walks very quickly, taking long, heavy, determined strides. Maybe if we were traveling through a snowstorm it would make sense to walk like that, but it's a perfectly clear day. Anyway, it's making me feel exhausted just watching her.

We arrive at the teahouse in what Misha says is “record time,” likely because of Shizune's blazing pace. I feel a little let down seeing that it's not a huge feudal-era building with mats on the floor and women in kimonos pouring the tea. It actually is more like a café, as I thought. Not that it's a bad thing. It looks very nice. As soon as I walk through the doors, someone zooms in front of us, as if they had been lying in wait the entire time.

YUUKO: "Welcome! Thank you for patronizing this establishment!"

The top half of her body drops forward in a bow that looks like an axe chopping through wood. I'm surprised to see it's none other than Yuuko, the librarian.

HISAO: "Hey, I didn't know you worked here."

YUUKO: "Oh... Yes, I do. I'm a waitress... I've been working here for one year, six months, and two weeks now... Thank you for choosing to come here, is there anything I can do for you?"

MISHA: "Hi, Yuu-chan~!"

YUUKO: "Hello."

HISAO: "Misha, you both know her too?"

MISHA: "Of course, Hicchan~! Yuu-chan works in the library, after all~! I don't go there often myself, but Shicchan knows her! And~!, we both come here a lot, so it's like we see her all the time!"

YUUKO: "Um... Yes... Should I get you your usuals? And... if there is anything you would want, please feel free to tell me at any time."

HISAO: "You don't have to be so formal, we all know each other."

It's also pretty empty today, so she can afford to take it easy. I was hoping she would stop looking so nervous, but my words have the opposite effect.

YUUKO: "No... I'm a waitress, this is my job, I have to... do it properly."

MISHA: "Okay, okay~! That works for Shicchan! Yuu-chan, please get Shicchan what she usually gets, and I'll have some green tea with milk and honey."

HISAO: "No pressure."

YUUKO: "Um, yes... but... this is my job, and... there is always pressure. I'm sorry, I'm arguing with a customer... Sorry! Sorry, sorry!"

Yuuko takes another hundred-mile-per-hour bow. I decide to give up and join Shizune and Misha at a table. As soon as I sit down, Yuuko comes by looking even more upset than before.

YUUKO: "I'm sorry! I'm really, really sorry, I forgot to take your order... I'm... not attentive to customers, that's not right... I'm sorry... If there is anything I can do to make up for it, please tell me..."

MISHA: "It's okay, Yuu-chan, Hicchan didn't order anything, so it's not your fault, don't be upset."

It's true. I guess I should order now, but I don't really know what this place serves, and there doesn't seem to be a menu.

HISAO: "Yeah, she's right. I'll have some coffee, and... a sandwich, if you have one. Whichever sandwich you think is the best tasting one here, because Shizune is paying for my meal."

Shizune frowns and gives me alternating looks of surprise, indignation, and bemusement, unable to decide between the three.

MISHA: "Hicchan, just how much money do you have in your wallet? It can't be that little, right?, right? We should split the cost three ways, to make it fair~! Yeah, I won't accept anything else~!"

Misha turns to Yuuko.

MISHA: "Yuu-chan, Shicchan says she wants three of whatever is the most expensive item on the menu~."

HISAO: "No!"

MISHA: "Hahaha~! Just kidding, Hicchan..."

YUUKO: "Um... okay, I think that the turkey sandwich is the most delicious sandwich... And it comes with free soup... A good employee would try to recommend the item that there is the most of, though... or the most expensive item... Am I bad at my job?"

HISAO: "No! That sounds good, I'll have that. And some coffee."

YUUKO: "Okay."

She comes back a few minutes later with our drinks and my sandwich. Shizune seems to be fine with just her tea, while Misha also ordered a parfait. I don't know why, because I can't imagine many other things that would go worse with tea. Oh well. I take a bite out of my sandwich. It's very good.

(Silence)

MISHA: "Hicchan, have you thought about joining the Student Council?"

HISAO: "Huh?"

MISHA: "Don't talk with your mouth full, Hicchan..."

I wash my food down with a sip of coffee, which is also surprisingly good. But now's not the time to remark on how this place has good food.

HISAO: "You said you understood it was too early to expect me to make a decision this quickly! That was like three hours ago!"

Katawa Shoujo OST - Katawa Shoujo OST - Generic Happy Music

MISHA: "A man should be decisive, Hicchan!"

MISHA: "You really should join the Student Council, Hicchan. Come on, it'll be fun!"

HISAO: "People always say “come on, it'll be fun” about things that are never, ever fun."

MISHA: "Don't you believe me, Hicchan?"

Is it Shizune saying that or Misha? What a cute expression; but the effect is somewhat jarring, like she has split personalities.

HISAO: "Uh..."

MISHA: "Hicchan, that's depressing. We just want to spend time with you..."

MISHA: "That's right, Shicchan! Yeah, that's a good point too!"

MISHA: "Yup, this is beneficial to everyone, it solves all our problems~."

MISHA: "Yeah, I also thought Hicchan would appreciate it... That makes me sad."

Suddenly I feel really left out.

HISAO: "It's rude to talk about someone without letting them in the conversation."

Shizune adjusts her glasses, laughing to herself.

MISHA: "Aw, but it's true, Hicchan~! And you would be helping us out, membership has been really low this year."

HISAO: "How low?"

MISHA: "Ah, that's a secret, Hicchan."

HISAO: "No, I want to know how low it was. How low is “low”?"

MISHA: "Ahaha..."

HISAO: "Five?"

HISAO: "Lower?"

MISHA: "Well..."

HISAO: "Zero?"

MISHA: "Wahaha~! Hicchan, that isn't important. What matters is that the number is low, and that is why we would appreciate you giving us a hand, especially with the festival coming up so soon, and it looking to be a busy year ahead in general."

HISAO: "So you're not going to answer my question?"

MISHA: "No~."

I sigh and straighten up in my chair, trying to look as defiant as possible, because this seems like a big issue and I do not want to let it go that easily. I feel silly, like a blowfish.

HISAO: "Fine, at least tell me this: How many people are in the Student Council? Total?"

MISHA: "Um, well, Hicchan, we're definitely undermanned, but we have enough members to get the job done. Yup, yup~!"

HISAO: "It's not just the two of you, is it?"

MISHA: "Hahaha~! Hicchan, that's funny~!"

MISHA: "But~! It's definitely not just us."

HISAO: "Are you sure? Are you absolutely sure?"

MISHA: "Yup~!"

I stare at them both, trying to see if they will slip up and confirm my worst fears. Misha frowns, looking uncomfortable, but that is probably because I'm staring at her.

Shizune, on the other hand, returns my gaze with one of her own. Maybe she is challenging me, peering at me over the rims of her glasses like that. So teasing; and surprisingly immature, like a little girl beckoning someone to play with her.

MISHA: "Hicchan, your two cute student council representatives have been trying to make you feel welcome and are even treating you to lunch. You should show your gratitude by joining the council so you can at least help them out. Yeah, it would be great if you could just file some papers for us, and... the festival is coming up, and we have to build some stalls for the games and food, just a few, so if you were there, it would be a lot easier for us... Please, Hicchan?"

What an interesting good cop-bad cop routine. I'll give it a shot. Why not?

Just a shot.

HISAO: "Okay, I'll give it a trial run. It doesn't mean I'm joining, or anything definite, just that I'll help out a little, and then I'll see. And this makes us even for lunch, I'm not doing this because I want to."

I finish off the last of my sandwich, and this makes Misha notice for the first time in a while that she has a parfait. She starts digging in, much to Shizune's chagrin, because I can tell from the way she plays with her fingers that she had a lot to say. Every time I look at Shizune, she looks back with such focus and intensity. This time is no exception. Her face is expressionless; maybe she is thinking. Eventually, it gives way to a smile.

(Silence)

She signs something, and obviously, I can't understand it at all. She has to know that. Then, she does it again, a childish playfulness showing through in the speed and energy of her gestures.

HISAO: "Misha, what did she say?"

MISHA: "...?"

Misha looks up from her parfait, torn between wanting to help out and going back to eating.

HISAO: "What does this mean?"

I try my best to make the same movements with my hands that Shizune did. I come to realize quickly that this isn't very easy. Imagine doing this all day, as your only means of communication.

MISHA: "Hmm~... Sorry, Hicchan, I can't tell you."

HISAO: "Why not? Is it an insult?"

MISHA: "No, Hicchan, I can't tell you because~!, it means something nice."

Something nice, huh? Well, they've gone back to their tea and food, so I guess this conversation is over for now. I don't really understand. But this makes me wish that I could. Maybe I could even try learning sign language. This school might have courses for it. Would I really do that? I think about it as I finish the rest of my coffee. I wonder why I'd even be motivated to think about it.

I'm enjoying myself so much that I don't even notice that we were supposed to be back in class ten minutes ago. Even if I were to start heading back to school right now, it would take at least... thirty minutes? Maybe. I can't risk running fast with my condition, so it would take at least that long to get there. Well, ten minutes late already as I am, it wouldn't matter even if I could teleport.

MISHA: "Something wrong, Hicchan?"

HISAO: "I just realized lunch break ended ten minutes ago. It's only my third day, and I'm already going to miss a class."

Katawa Shoujo OST - Hokabi

MISHA: " Yup~! You are already late."

HISAO: "Hey, that's not funny, so are you! And, aren't you two in the Student Council? You're setting a bad example."

MISHA: "Hicchan is so moral..."

MISHA: "But~! Hicchan is right, he is late for class, and~ it looks like you're cutting too, Hicchan, because you're not making an effort to go. As your student council representatives, we're going to have to do something about this and make sure you're punished for it~!"

HISAO: "But you two dragged me out here, this is all your fault. Take responsibility!"

MISHA: "Hicchan, we were just taking a prospective student council member out to try and recruit him. It's business, business~! But~! You're not a member of the council, so there's no excuse!"

HISAO: "Yes, there is. That prospective student council member is clearly me."

MISHA: "Yes~! Are you going to join the Student Council, Hicchan?"

Shizune raises her teacup haughtily and wags her outstretched pinky finger up and down.

MISHA: "Hicchan, if only you were a member of the Student Council... But~! You can still join now, Hicchan! If you join now, you won't be in any trouble at all, and we'll be able to take many more nice excursions like this all the time! It'll be fun~!"

I start to think that, maybe, this was all an elaborate set-up leading up to this moment. Maybe Shizune lured me out here, banking on the possibility that I'd lose track of time and be forced into this situation. Diabolical. ...Well, considering what I know of her, I should have been more on my guard. But to admit that I got myself into this, even slightly, would be unforgivable. I try to read Shizune's intentions in her eyes, but she just returns my stare blankly. Innocently. She takes a sip of tea, like she is mocking me.

MISHA: "By the way, Hicchan, I didn't plan this at all, things just happened to work out this way~!"

I was almost about to drop my theory as paranoia, but this puts a new spin on things. I almost fall over in awe. So it really was an elaborate set up, from the very beginning, all just to burn me and force me to join the Student Council.

MISHA: "Ahahahaha~! You look so nervous, Hicchan~! Did you really think we were tricking you this whole time?"

HISAO: "You're not?"

MISHA: "Hicchan, you really thought...?"

Misha frowns, looking heartbroken. Shizune quickly frowns as well, following her lead. How synchronized. Two of a perfect pair. They must be twins.

MISHA: "Shicchan says she's flattered, Hicchan, but doing that kind of thing would be a grossly inappropriate abuse of power, and imposing on your free will~! And~! It would be blackmail, too! Shicchan would never do anything like that, never!"

I think about asking Misha, 'Are you sure?' but resist the urge to.

MISHA: "Anyway, Hicchan, what Shicchan said is true. Since you're with us, and we're doing student council work, it's okay if we miss a class or two."

MISHA: "Not that this is a good excuse to do so..."

MISHA: "...Or one that should be used more than three times a month..."

MISHA: "Or something that can or should be abused..."

MISHA: "So~! We must definitely, definitely return to class! Eventually~! Wahaha~!"

Shizune waves Yuuko over and points to her empty teacup, indicating that she wants another one, as Misha scrambles to finish her parfait so she can order something else. Maybe I should as well. I am still hungry, and the portions here are a little on the small side. Most importantly, Shizune is paying for everything. With that in mind, I ask Yuuko for another sandwich.

(Silence)

By the time we leave the tea shop I've missed not just one class, but two. Shizune and Misha seem content to let the whole day pass by, stalling for even more time by suggesting a tour of the town that turns out to cover a two block radius from where we start.

Eventually, we do go back to school, and the rest of the day is business as usual. When classes are over, Shizune and Misha pack their bags and leave the room before me. Come to think of it, this is the first time they've left me alone. It's strange, I almost miss them. The room empties quickly, and I'm the last one out the door. When I try leaving the lobby, however, an arm lowers itself in front of me like a toll bridge gate, stopping me in my tracks.

HISAO: "Oh, hi Shizune."

:eng101: A pair of hands show up on the screen before it goes dark. :eng101:

A pair of hands from behind cover my eyes, followed by a sharp burst of laughter.

MISHA: "Hi, Hicchan~! Guess who!"

Misha asks the question completely without sarcasm, meaning she doesn't think that I instantly knew it was her for many obvious reasons.

HISAO: "I wonder who it could be? Well, it's definitely not Misha..."

MISHA: "Hahaha~! It is!"

Katawa Shoujo OST - The Student Council (Shizune’s Theme)

Misha swings around to stand in front of me, beside Shizune.

MISHA: "Hicchan, are you busy right now?"

HISAO: "Busy going to my room, yeah. See you two tomorrow!"

I try to make a break for it, but Shizune is too agile to get past. As someone who used to play soccer, this is embarrassing. Not to mention that this behavior is drawing some odd looks. I should just quit while I'm ahead.

MISHA: "Hicchan, could you please go upstairs and get a few things for us from the art room?"

HISAO: "Why me?"

MISHA: "Hahaha~! Shicchan thinks that if the art teacher sees us, he will say hi, and she doesn't like him!"

HISAO: "Ignore him."

MISHA: "She tried, but even though Shicchan is deaf, he'll try to say “hi~!” anyway!"

HISAO: "Run away?"

MISHA: "I never run!"

A tone of finality so strong that I can pick it up even through Misha. I can see there is no use pursuing this further with Shizune.

HISAO: "Misha, why can't you get them?"

MISHA: "Stairs make me dizzy, Hicchan!"

HISAO: "..."

Shizune nods, as if to confirm it.

MISHA: "Please, Hicchan? We need these things to build stalls for the festival, and you said you would help out a little, right?, right?"

I really shouldn't, but I guess just this once would be all right.

HISAO: "Okay."

MISHA: "That's great, Hicchan! Thank you~! This is what we need!"

She holds out a piece of paper for me to take. I'm sure this list was made by Shizune. It's handwritten, but each letter is perfectly formed and uniform, as if it were typed. Not just that, but it's exhaustively detailed, complete with numbers, bullet points, and even little checkboxes. What it boils down to is that she wants paint, paintbrushes, posterboard, and an easel. Just different types and specific numbers of each. I wonder how I'm going to carry all of this stuff down the stairs without breaking my neck.

:eng101: … Okay look, I know she’s atrocious, but keep in mind this part of the game was released three years and at least one major overhaul before the rest. What you see may not be what you get. :eng101:

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 3, 2021

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

I have a small question for the thread. You may have noticed I’ve kept a consistent update schedule for this LP, but I haven’t posted updates at a consistent time (which I like to do). So, I wanted to run a quick poll on when you’d like to see these updates. Keep in mind I operate out of the Central time zone and all times will be based on that, and also that I may end up postponing updates until later in the day if things come up. This is just for ease of reference.
  • Morning (8-11)
  • Midday (11-2)
  • Afternoon (2-5)
  • Evening (7-11)
Feel free to make your decision based on what’s convenient to you; I’ve been using the midday slot because I tend to want to post these early and that’s as long as I can make myself wait, but I’d rather throw them off when people want to see them. Remeber to bold your vote to make it easier for me to see. :siren: Vote ends in roughly 48 hours! :siren:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

As a European, the time you posted today is great.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I actually like the act1 Shizune minus the being a bitch to Lily

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

raifield posted:

Shizune's route shows why Misha is in the school.

No it doesn't? Misha's disability (or even possible lack thereof) is never explicitly brought up, though there's been a lot of speculation on the matter among fans, and while a somewhat likely reason for her enrollment in Yamaku comes up at one point, it isn't definitive. It doesn't seem like something the writers ever decided on for sure, since it wasn't important to Shizune's route.

And I'm cool with updates going up whenever it's convenient for you.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Any of these times are convenient for me, that’s the whole point :mad:

Also, I’d like to remind the thread not to talk about things we haven’t seen yet, even in spoiler tags. Discussion of what we’ve already seen is fine, but we gotta leave SOMETHING to surprise people :v:.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I don't like either girl in the dynamic duo anymore.

And yeah I'm just back from my lunch break so around this time is perfect for me.

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.

Space Kablooey posted:

And yeah I'm just back from my lunch break so around this time is perfect for me.

+1

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I guess I'm gonna be the weirdo that says the duo doesn't seem that bad? They're being a bit hamfisted to try and get Hisao on board with the student council, but have demonstrated it's because their backs are to the wall a bit in terms of lack of manpower. Hisao as well is showing a lot of willingness to stand up for himself this time to try and get more information despite the much heavier pressure Shinzune (and Misha) are putting him under.

Maybe my brain is rotted by too much anime and mediocre light novels, but I really don't see how Shizune is so terrible (yet).

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Yea I've never really seen what's so awful? I've mostly seen a level of pushiness around deadlines and recruiting that I would consider "lower end of expected for a volunteer that takes things mildly seriously." Misha I can see as grating but not unusual for a teenager. But I haven't played the game maybe they blow up the school or something.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Mid-day.

Shizune seems exhausting. No real respect for anyone.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Bullying someone into "volunteering" is definitely not a good look.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I mean. I have a thing for Nagatoro-type characters so I'm on board with this. Even if they're being insufferable and would be even more insufferable in waking life.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Shizune just seems like a really driven individual who takes responsibility seriously, with an extremely blunt personality, which isn't aided by the fact many people are forced to communicate through the medium of Misha to deal with her. The combo of the pair seems really exhausting to deal with and I'm certainly not gonna say I would have fared better in that situation than Hisao at that age. I don't think there's been any malicious actions from the pair though, just some bribery to try and get Hisao to join the student council.

That said I have no extensive personal experience with bullies so I may just be reading it entirely wrong. :shrug:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I wouldn't go as far as calling them bullies, but having them taking Hisao out for lunch, stalling for time until they have some "dirt" on him for the skipping class thing, and then using it to make him help out on their stuff is the kinda of thing that would leave me with a very bad taste in my mouth, had it been me. Unless I had already decided to help them out and just went with the flow.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Shizune is the worst and there's really only one reason a person might accept her behavior and she manages to gently caress that up so bad I have an effortpost about it already loaded and ready to go when it happens.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Just because I'm not seeing it yet doesn't mean it can't still happen. I'm looking forward(?) to seeing just how terrible Shizune actually gets.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
From an anime/VN point of view, Shizune just comes across as pushy/energetic. From a RL point of view, she's getting tiresome. And there's more WALLS OF TEXT to come.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Evil Kit posted:

I guess I'm gonna be the weirdo that says the duo doesn't seem that bad? They're being a bit hamfisted to try and get Hisao on board with the student council, but have demonstrated it's because their backs are to the wall a bit in terms of lack of manpower. Hisao as well is showing a lot of willingness to stand up for himself this time to try and get more information despite the much heavier pressure Shinzune (and Misha) are putting him under.

Maybe my brain is rotted by too much anime and mediocre light novels, but I really don't see how Shizune is so terrible (yet).

Shinzune is fiiiine, she just has a very bombastic personality, but she's not been bad, people are just taking her too seriously.. I'd still be up for hanging out with her and Misha at this point, I don't get the hate some of this thread seem to have for her.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
She's pushy, but she's only going this far because Hisao has proven receptive/amenable to it. It's more of an in joke than actual serious manipulation/pushing, see the other routes where she backs off fast once Hisao has some friends to hang out with. I don't think it's that bad at all, granted I actually like Shizune's route.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

EclecticTastes posted:

No it doesn't? Misha's disability (or even possible lack thereof) is never explicitly brought up, though there's been a lot of speculation on the matter among fans, and while a somewhat likely reason for her enrollment in Yamaku comes up at one point, it isn't definitive. It doesn't seem like something the writers ever decided on for sure, since it wasn't important to Shizune's route.

I could've sworn Misha talks about it in Shizune's route, but it's been several years since I've played and I must be imagining things.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

raifield posted:

I could've sworn Misha talks about it in Shizune's route, but it's been several years since I've played and I must be imagining things.

quote:

MISHA: "Stairs make me dizzy, Hicchan!"

That's all I got, at the moment.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
Yay, I caught up!

It's been forever since I played this game. I think I played it a year or two after it came out, word-of-mouth on how it came from 4chan and how it had no right being as good as it was made its way to me. I played it, enjoyed it, had a few gut-wrenching moments, the works.

My route was something like Hanako - Emi - Lily - Shizune - Rin. Maybe Lily and Emi flipped. Ended up getting good ends on all of them up until Shizune's due to not paying attention as I was clicking through the text, got terrified of what Rin's bad ends would be like after Shizune's route, and used a walkthrough to ensure I didn't experience that. This game, it hurts. :v:

While I'm a little late for this, I will say that while I liked Hanako's route way back when I had thought it was kinda overblown based on how everyone seemed to suggest that it really "subverted expectations" and such. Having since had a couple panic attacks and more awareness about my social anxiety issues, I appreciate the writing of Hanako more.

I'll be working on a few effort posts on ADHD, medication, and depression/anxiety. I know I've seen ADHD mentioned in here, but it's usually paired with other things in those posts. And I like talking about ADHD, I know people I work with who say "yeah I probably have ADHD but don't want to get diagnosed since I'm too old too change" and a teenager trying to get examined for it while their parent fights against it saying "oh she just has depression", and all I keep thinking is "this is a treatable condition and I like myself so much more on my medication why won't you people at least *talk to a doctor to get informed* agghhhhh". Hopefully I can contribute to fixing that perception in some small way for people who read this LP and don't know anyone with it.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

One update and the page fills up with Shizune discourse :allears:.

Cobalt-60 posted:

From an anime/VN point of view, Shizune just comes across as pushy/energetic. From a RL point of view, she's getting tiresome. And there's more WALLS OF TEXT to come.

I’ve heard it said that a tsundere in anime is an abuser in real life, and while that’s kind of an extreme position I think there’s something to it. It’s barely spoilers to say that dichotomy won’t be going away and I think it’s part of why so many people dislike this route.

OneWingedDevil posted:

And I like talking about ADHD, I know people I work with who say "yeah I probably have ADHD but don't want to get diagnosed since I'm too old too change" and a teenager trying to get examined for it while their parent fights against it saying "oh she just has depression", and all I keep thinking is "this is a treatable condition and I like myself so much more on my medication why won't you people at least *talk to a doctor to get informed* agghhhhh". Hopefully I can contribute to fixing that perception in some small way for people who read this LP and don't know anyone with it.

Oh man, the ADHD/perception/medication complex is extremely relatable, it’s a hell of a thing to wade through.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Falconier111 posted:

I’ve heard it said that a tsundere in anime is an abuser in real life, and while that’s kind of an extreme position I think there’s something to it. It’s barely spoilers to say that dichotomy won’t be going away and I think it’s part of why so many people dislike this route.

You know, I never thought to put it that way. Shizune acquires some subtlety when you start talking to her personally, and Misha isn't MAKING ENOUGH NOISE FOR TWO PEOPLE. It is somewhat of a swerve that this route plays heavily on anime tropes when the previous two routes required subverting them.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
I actually have a problem with Misha, though it's not with her as a character. Why exactly is she Shizune's interpreter in the first place? I'm asking this because Misha is also a student, but being Shizune's interpreter means she has to dedicate a majority of her time to Shizune and her wants/needs. What exactly happens if Misha needs extra help in a class that Shizune doesn't need, or if she's sick one day? Does that mean Shizune has to skip class too because Misha can't be there?

I'm not saying it's wrong exactly, but I think it would make a lot more sense to me if Shizune's interpreter was an adult who was either supplied by the school or hired by Shizune's family. That way Misha could just be Shizune's friend first and also be able to focus on her own schoolwork without both of them being attached at the hip. It's just...unless Misha is getting compensated in some way, I'm having a hard time seeing what exactly Misha is getting out of this relationship. It feels very one-sided.

For those of you out there with more understanding/experience with the deaf community, is it common for other students to act as interpreters without compensation? Or am I just looking at this from the wrong angle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Lawnmower
Apr 1, 2011

For the cow-borrowing glory and infinite wisdom of Elmal! Cheese for everyone!

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

I actually have a problem with Misha, though it's not with her as a character. Why exactly is she Shizune's interpreter in the first place? I'm asking this because Misha is also a student, but being Shizune's interpreter means she has to dedicate a majority of her time to Shizune and her wants/needs. What exactly happens if Misha needs extra help in a class that Shizune doesn't need, or if she's sick one day? Does that mean Shizune has to skip class too because Misha can't be there?

I'm not saying it's wrong exactly, but I think it would make a lot more sense to me if Shizune's interpreter was an adult who was either supplied by the school or hired by Shizune's family. That way Misha could just be Shizune's friend first and also be able to focus on her own schoolwork without both of them being attached at the hip. It's just...unless Misha is getting compensated in some way, I'm having a hard time seeing what exactly Misha is getting out of this relationship. It feels very one-sided.

For those of you out there with more understanding/experience with the deaf community, is it common for other students to act as interpreters without compensation? Or am I just looking at this from the wrong angle?

While I specifically don’t work in the deaf community, I have absolutely checked Misha’s general interpreting work with my aunts and grandmother-who work as teachers and interpreters in the deaf community.

And they cannot stand her.

I don’t like Shizune much either right now-assuming correct translation, her and Lilly have a lot to talk about when it comes to manipulating people and taking their agency. Lilly’s was done for a benefit to bother, but Shizune cannot say the same.

But note that Hisao was even confused by who he was talking to? My family has basically said that a interpreter, unless they are spoken to directly or as part of a group, generally direct eyes and talkers back to the principal conversation. Like..it helps a LOT that it seems that Hisao is actively talking to Shizune-I get the impression that he is making eye contact with her-which is such a huge deal.

But a lot of Misha’s mannerisms are bleeding over in a unhealthy and inaccurate way. I’m guessing that this school is strapped that on-site interpreter paras cost a lot..