Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D
You know, the "still in your uniform" thing would make more sense if Yamaku's uniforms looked in any way like a normal school uniform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 58: 6/19-6/20: Always Traumatize Makoto

This update covers content from Part 52 of the original LP.

I know it’s been a little bit. I got into a bike accident a couple weeks back. And then I went to Comic-Con. And then when I got home, I tried to boot up FFXIV but it kept crashing, so I decided to reinstall it. And then I figured I might as well work on this while I waited for that.

Anon: A bit childish, but I like it!

Daytime

Music: Wicked Plan

Ryuji, I promised myself I’d never speak of this again. It’s just not loving worth it, dude.
But—
Come on, man. It was extremely upsetting for all of us, getting waylaid by those stereotypes right out of a hateful “comedic” act on a variety show. Just drop it, man.
…Whatever. Just do it, Yusuke.

Okay, I entered Kaneshiro’s name into the Nav—and just as expected, it’s a hit.
All we need now are the two other keywords: what he thinks of as his Palace, and where it is. But we don’t have any clues other than people falling victim around here… We’ll just have to try whatever keywords we can come up with.

So we’re just going to throw out ideas at random to guess the malfunction of the brain of a dude we’ve never met. Can’t see any flaw in this plan!

Urgh, that’s gonna be impossible… How many buildings do you think there are in Shibuya?

He likes money, right? It’s probably just, like… a bank.

Candidate found.

You’re real good at this, man.
We’re thieves, right? Only makes sense we’d knock over a bank eventually.

OK… That’s a hit! So, he thinks of somewhere in this city as his own bank!
I thought it’d be somewhere less realistic. That’s all it is, huh?
Now then, what location would Kaneshiro think of as his bank?
If we’re talkin’ about a place where he keeps his cash, maybe his own hideout?
How about… a real bank?

No, Ann. That’s stupid.

His cognition wouldn’t be distorted in that case.
Dammit, we ain’t gettin’ anywhere…

I’m not sure how to put this, but… we’re not really embracing the mad, narcissistic aura of a Palace, are we? We’re thinking too small.
Yusuke, settle down. You’ve never done this part before.

The hell’re you talkin’ about?
This Palace is a bank for someone who extorts money with criminal acts. It’s something more…
But what other ways can we think about it?

Maybe it’s a blood bank! He’s a vampire!

Oh, could it mean a place you withdraw money?

No, guys, it’s definitely the vampire thing. We’re doing mine.

Hold on! Do you think it might have something to do with the victims? He’s taking money from his victims’ wallets, right? That means his bank is wherever they are!
That’s terrible… but you may just be right.
Oh, come on! How many people do you think Kaneshiro’s taken advantage of in all of Shibuya?
Result found.
Wait a second. …I have a hit.
Huh…? Wait, what!? D-Did I say something right?
The place that Kaneshiro thinks of as a bank is… “All of Shibuya.”

Wow, you did it Ryuji! But it was by accident, so you receive 0 Ryuji Points. Sorry, but them’s the breaks.
Dammit…!

What!? Like… the entire city?
I see. That’s certainly where his victims are… It turns out he really is a terrible criminal.
But wait, is it okay for us to go into the Palace right out of a crowd like this?
Eh, nobody notices if a piece of trash disappears from a trash can. This ain’t any different.

Honestly, probably one of the best lines in the game.

In that case… let’s go.

Music: Disquiet

What are those!?

So this is what Kaneshiro considers a “bank.”

I know my life for the past couple months has been comprised of nothing but increasingly blunt metaphors, but… man, that’s on the nose!

I never thought it would be the entire district. Look around us… The distortion is affecting the whole of Shibuya.
Huh? Whaddya mean?
Ohhh, that’s right! Even when we were in the castle and the museum, the city outside looked normal.
He sees everyone in Shibuya as his patron.
No surprise for a mafia boss.
It’s best we focus on finding Kaneshiro’s location and stealing his treasure as soon as possible.
Yeah, his hideout’s gotta be somewhere around here. Let’s go look for it.

Excuse me, can we—

(ATM Human) Aaaaaaagh! No, please! I don’t have any more money! But if you just give me some time, I can get all of it for you! I got a hot lead on billions of yen! These guys with shapes on their faces just want me to play Red Light, Green Light first!

I got all the hot, fresh Squid Game jokes for you guys! Surely this will not date the poo poo out of this update, posted October 10, 2021, for anyone reading it in the future!

I have not watched it yet.

What’s this guy talkin’ about? He’s just ramblin’ on…
Let’s just leave him be.

This is terrible… All of these are real people, right…?
This is effed up…
I don’t think we can talk to any of the ones here…

That would appear to be the case, but there is nobody we can speak to, let alone a bank anywhere… Let us try checking around the station once more. We may have overlooked something important.

It’s no use… It’s all over… I’ll end up just like them…
>What happened?
Can’t you tell…? I’ve fallen… fallen so far… From a place where Kaneshiro leaves no tracks…

Wait, I know you’re just a cognition, but why do you know his name?

Hm, what could that mean…?
Hey, you gotta tell us a little more than—

Daisy… Daiiiiiiiiisyyyyyyyy… *collapses*

…It doesn’t look like this one’s going to say anything. Kaneshiro leaves no tracks…? Does he mean that literally, or could it be figurative?
Hey, why don’t we go over all the intel we have now?

Wait a second… They’ve “fallen” from a place where Kaneshiro doesn’t leave any tracks…? Could that mean… they were actually thrown down from somewhere high up?

What, you think the Palace is in the *sky*? That’s *stupid*, and I’m going to laugh at you! Now just let me take a deep breath and throw my head back, in the process briefly looking at the heave—oh goddammit

Music: Desire

“Kaneshiro doesn’t leave any tracks,” huh? Figures it’d be floating.

That is at best a loose paraphrase of what we were told.

You’re useless! C’mon, don’t you have some kinda secret gadget or somethin’!?
Shut it! I’m not some robot cat!

You know, we never considered the possibility that you’re a robot!

I mean, I’m not a cat at all!
This may be the limit of what we can do today.
We gotta find a way to get up there…
Let’s think about it some more tomorrow, okay?
All right, we should get out of here for now! Run for it!

WHY ARE WE RUNNING!?

Daytime → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

It’s that woman who reeks of alcohol…
You free?

I’m texting you amid my busy work schedule! It’s about that Kaneshiro guy. He’s more dangerous than I thought!

A teenager like you shouldn’t be messing around with a guy like that. It was probably wildly irresponsible of me to give you his name, now that I think about it! Well, bye!

Proving our justice isn’t going to be easy… We’d better discuss this with everyone tomorrow.

What a pain. I’m sure the police are tired of this guy, too.

(Male Host) Here’s what we’ve got for you today! Here’s the first one! The Supportive Gift Set! Give this to the busy bee in your life, and you’ll be sure to get along! 1 Blaring Alarm Clock and 1 Face Beautifier! Both items in one set! What a steal! But that’s not all! There’s more! Next up, the Busy Revival Set! With this, nothing will be able to keep you down! 3 Revivadrin and 10 Recov-R: 100 mg! These will both be in one set! What a steal!

Let’s go for the Busy Revival items. Gifts are kinda worthless if you’re playing ~optimally~, honestly.

We’re going to keep brewing coffee to get those last few points for Sojiro, as well as some extra Charm.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

Maaku gains Charm +1.

Here, I’ll have a sip.

It’s Cuban Crystal Mountain, right?

Forever cursed to make poo poo coffee…

I’ll keep mentoring you, so keep it up. One day, there will be a flavor of coffee that only you can produce. You have potential, keep training.

Music: Days of Sisters

About those Phantom Thieves, I mean. If Dad were still alive…

It’s okay. Keep going.

Just because I just got back from facing constant, ever-present stress and institutional sexism at work, the kind that wears me down slowly and turns me into a husk of my former self, doesn’t mean I’m not capable of having a calm, reasoned discussion about our father, the man whose death set me on my current path and tainted my entire worldview! As long as you’re not gonna say something crazy like—

I just wonder if he would’ve been on their side… That’s all…

*slams the table with both palms like Phoenix Wright*
Ohno
Do you want an itemized receipt of how you just hosed up, or should I go straight into berating you?
The second one, please…
Good answer. Well, then, on to the yelling: I don’t give a poo poo what Dad would have thought. He’s dead, and now I’m the one stuck holding the bag. I can’t believe the nerve you have, questioning my work, when it’s the only reason you even a roof over your head! Do you have any idea how hard I work? Do you have any idea how much of a drain, physically, financially, emotionally, you are? You’re a useless parasite feeding off my life.
*about to cry*
Oh, uh… sorry, I guess. *going back to eating* Man, this dinner is really bland. You need to work on that.

Anon: NO! Justice ain’t that simple

Morning

Music: So Boring

I just wonder, why bother stealing hearts? You can’t do anything with them. They have no monetary value, either.

The Metaphor Understander has logged on.

If I were them, I would go for something with a concrete, clear value—like gold. …Speaking of, there’s another kind of metal that’s very valuable in its own way. They’re called minor metals, and they’re used in many electronics. In fact, most of you probably have some on your person right now. In your pockets, in your purses… Were you listening, Takamaki-san? Give me one example of something most of you have that contains minor metals.

Huh!? Oh, uh, yeah! I mean—
Hey, Lady Ann is obviously panicking! Be a good guy and help her out!

So, another one of these.

Sorry, Maaku, can you help me out? Something that uses minor metals… And all of us have something like that on us…? Uh, right now, I’ve got… lipstick, my smartphone, and mascara. What do you think, Maaku? One of these has minor metals in it, right?

The smartphone, you moron.

A lot of minor metals are excavated in China. Some countries simply produce more than others. 90% of the minor metals used in Japan are imported. But a lot of the recyclable trash we throw away contains minor metals too. In other words, a junkyard is much more valuable than someone else’s heart.

Nice! Lady Ann seems really relieved!

Maaku gains Charm +1.

You’re pretty good at studying… I’m impressed.

Morning → After School

Are we out of luck?
It’s no fair his Palace is up in the sky…
If only we could contact the real Kaneshiro…

Oh, yeah, that’d go real great for us.

…Hm?

What do you want?
Nothing in particular. I just saw you all together here.
That so?
You seem to be having quite a bit of trouble.
So you’re here to check up on us? You may be the student council president, but when it comes to what we do, you’re useless.

Useless?

Useless…
How unfortunately specific…

Just stay on your high horse and watch. Or do you wanna eavesdrop, since you’re so good at it?
*sucking in breath*

Yeah, keep going guys! She’s about to cry!

So you wish to get in contact with Kaneshiro.

Guh?

That is what you were just discussing, weren’t you? It seems you just needed to find out where he is.

Uhh… yep.

Hey, you don’t gotta answer her honestly!

……
Good-girl… pushover…
Useless… Useless… Useless…

…What was that?
Fine. I’ll help you meet Kaneshiro.

What exactly is she planning on doing?
She had a dead-serious look in her eyes…

Should we… stop her?
Better let her get a bit more of head start. Maybe it’ll be entertaining!

Does this mean she has an idea as to where Kaneshiro may be?
I highly doubt that.
I didn’t like her stern face…

Okay, that should be long enough I think.

Hrrgh! What is up with her!?

How did Morgana beat us here!?

(phone) Just stay on the phone and listen. Make sure you record the call as well.

It took me this long to realize Makoto gets your number from Sojiro under false pretenses entirely to enable this scene. It’s honestly kinda clever writing.

Huh? Who is it?

That idiot! What’s she doin’!?
(phone) I heard I could find someone named Kaneshiro if I came to Central Street.
Central Street!

Uh, that’s where we are right now, idiot.

She’s being too rash!

He’s blackmailing the students of Shujin Academy, is he not? Tell him if he doesn’t want me talking to the police about it, he’d better agree to meet with me.

The two men look at each other.

Music: Tension

You better be taking me to Kaneshiro.

Yeah? Or what?
Bluff called, I suppose…

It’s the guys that messed with us the other day! So they were connected to Kaneshiro!

Those were the guys promoting some hot deal or whatever, right? They didn’t really “mess” with us, honestly…

She still on!?

(phone) Where are we going?
(Pierced Man’s Voice) (phone) I guess we can’t do anythin’ to her if she’s Kaneshiro-san’s customer.
Hey, I asked a question here. Where are we going?
We gotta go after them!

Good job Yusuke, but I don’t think you need to be a talented sketch guy or whatever to write down a license plate.

Agh, poo poo, he ignored me!

Dammit, I said STOP!

Love the way the back tires lift three feet off the ground like in a cartoon.

Ryuji!

Ryuji what the gently caress

Hurry up and get in!

Welcome back to Kaneshiro, He Of The Weird Voice. (For the record I actually like Jalen K. Cassell as a VA and even like his Kaneshiro, it’s just a funny performance to me)

You know what happens to anyone who snaps at me, don’t you?

Niijima-san!
What the hell’d you do to her!?
Ohhh, I get it.

Really not sure what their endgame here was, but eh.

Kaneshiro opens the briefcase in front of him, and the top half clips through some paper on the table when it opens. I point this out because I’m just surprised I never noticed it before, not because it’s some grievous flaw (you can only see it for a couple seconds anyway).

(to the woman next to him) That bag you saw the other day—the crocodile one. How much was it?
(Gaudy Woman) About three million?

Kaneshiro hands her a few stacks of bills.

*squeal* For reals!?
Better thank those guys.
What?
I’m royally pissed right now. Can you tell? You know how spending money relieves stress?

I feel like the opposite usually applies in my case.

You goddamn brats poking your noses where they don’t belong are going to give me a migraine!

See this empty space? I’m so pissed that now there’s a three million yen gap here. It pisses me off even more if I don’t fill it up. I’m a perfectionist. So, good luck.
What is that supposed to mean?

Come on, you all look so tense. I think I’ll call it… “Debauchery of Minors at a Club.” So, can I send this to your school?
That’s—
Oh, drat, I got booze and cigs in the shot! Maybe some drugs too? Ahh… This is so hilarious.

Now listen up. Run your mouth to the police, and I’ll break all of you, starting with your families.

Three weeks. Bring three million yen by then. No less. Summer bonuses are around the corner, you know? It’ll be easy if you beg your mommies and daddies.
*evil chuckling*
Now get out of my sight. I’m about to have some fun.
What!? To hell with that!
Don’t bother with him. Makoto’s safety is more important right now.

Oh god, someone get that cat out of here! I’m allergic, you idiots! Why is it even in here!? Ugh, it’s growling at me!

Three weeks for three million yen… Things have taken a serious turn for the worse…

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 11, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sae might be on to something, you are completely useless Makoto.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

This continues to be the stupidest possible piece of blackmail material. They really didn't work that hard on most of the reasons for the deadlines.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
the way this game talks about illicit substances sounds like a 17 year old whose older brother got high once and won't stop talking about it so the kid just has to tell his friends like the world's worst game of telephone

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Faillen Angel posted:

the way this game talks about illicit substances sounds like a 17 year old whose older brother got high once and won't stop talking about it so the kid just has to tell his friends like the world's worst game of telephone

Modern Japan's view of drugs is on par with America's during the 1930's.

Yes I did just look up when Reefer Madness was made, shut up

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Faillen Angel posted:

In Japan being found with any Marijuana at all is likely to get you completely fired from all work ever. At least from what I understand, they take it super seriously in terms of social/employment repurcussions.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I just got one thing to lay on you cats and then I'll split: that I am declaring WAR on anyone who sells drugs in our community.
But Joker, I sell drugs to the community!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I still maintain this is probably the best character introduction to the PT we've got beyond the initial core of Joker-Skull-Panther. No, Makoto is not acting rationally here, but you have to remember where she is coming from: an honor-roll student who has done everything right for years discovering over a Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day couple of weeks that it's not enough, will never be enough, and more will always be expected because the Game Is Rigged. It's not a matter of Being the Best, it's a matter of being lucky enough to be the right person at the right time to catch the right eye- it's the closest the plot has come to the thesis statement of the entire game since Kamoshida (the superfluousness of Shirogane notwithstanding), and is sadly the closest it will come before abruptly turning away from examining the faults of society and focusing more or less wholly on the "bad apples" that bring society down. It also suits the nature of her Tarot card- the Priestess inverted means isolation and the hoarding of wisdom over sharing it, which is akin to what she was like before on the student council path, and yeah, staring down armed gagsters is a bit extreme, but she's strayed at last from the path that was leading her nowhere but stagnation.

Part of the other reason I say what I am is that this is kinda the last arc (in the base game at least) where you can see where everyone is coming from without contrivance- it is not reliant upon people we never see again in the story, nor does it have an ostensibly sympathetic character blackmailing the female lead into doing an embarrassing thing, nor does it force conflict unnecessarily and to ultimately no purpose- it's just a put upon girl snapping because her only role model is a highly strung (and self hating) disaster area, and the only people around who she can talk to about this have rejected her too.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 59: 6/20: Ghost Riding The Pope

This update covers content from Part 53 of the original LP.

Evening

I didn’t mean to drag you in like this…

Yeah, no idea what you were thinkin’ there.

I was stupid…

Absolutely. What did you imagine the outcome would be?
Hey guys, maybe shut up and lay off for a second.
Huh? But you were the one who’s been the most pissed off at Niijima this whole time, weren’t you? You said something like, “I hope that stuck-up bitch dunks her face into a deep frye—”
Hahaha, ignore him!
Read the room, idiot!

I was so caught up in trying to be useful…
All right, enough of the blame game! What’s done is done!

No, let’s keep turning on each other, and while you’re all distracted I’ll knock out the one determined to be most responsible and harvest their organs for quick cash. It’ll solve all of our problems at once!
And only create like, a few dozen more!
Exactly! We’d be stupid *not* to do it!

I’m going to cause trouble for Sis too…

She’s going to have to invent a whole new genre of emotional abuse after this debacle…

Sis?
My older sister has a commendable job, and she’s a much more remarkable person than me… A lot happened after we lost our father three years ago, so it’s just us living together… But I’m still a child, so all I am is a burden to her…

I have no further questions about your sister. I am sure she will never become relevant to our lives in any fashion.

…… …And that’s why you were so reckless?
I just wanted to be useful in some way to someone…
Y’know, I might not get your whole situation, but ain’t it a bit off saying that you’re useless to her?

Useless… Useless… Useless…
*whimper*

(to Ann) In particular, I have to apologize for what happened to you.
Eh?
Now that I think on it, the truth about Kamoshida must’ve been covered up by the whole school.

With the sole, notable exception of the one teacher I hang out with. She’s inexplicably innocent.

I had my suspicions, but… I couldn’t do anything about it. …No. I *didn’t* do anything. Had I cared enough, I could’ve done something…
……
People like me… must really be what others call scum of the earth.

Trust me, if you really were, you wouldn’t think of yourself that way.

…Huh?
I’m the same. It’s just like you said before: I was closest to Shiho, but I didn’t do anything…

In fact, I said and did several things to accidentally make it worse! Whoops!

Besides, Kamoshida’s the one to blame. Shiho understands that… and I do too.
Takamaki-san…
You didn’t have a place to belong either… Isn’t that right?
Me… either?
We won’t let anyone fall victim again. Now, what should we do from here?
I’ll do something about the money! So can we please just drop the case with Kaneshiro?

What the hell are you saying!? Even if he didn’t have dirt on us, this was your idea! We need to do this to protect the students of Shujin, remember!?
Besides, I highly doubt you have that kind of money just lying around, and it won’t do for you to keep rushing into things like you did today.
Yusuke, what would you know about money?

If only we could do something about that bank…

Ryuji!

Yo, shut the gently caress up, dude!

There’s a great little moment that proved just a bit too difficult to properly capture here where Ryuji realizes his blunder and just scratches his head trying to deflect attention, it’s pretty neat.

Bank?
Oh, right, the bank!

Music: Suspicion

She isn’t useless at all! She may be our key in! Hear me out, you guys!
Our key in? What do you mean?

Why is Hamiru’s bag cat just standing there, and why are you now talking to it?
Wait. You know about Bagcat!? Why didn’t you tattle on me?
To be honest, seeing you carry that thing around was pretty adorable.

We’ve become Kaneshiro’s targets. That means we’ve become customers of Kaneshiro’s bank!
I see. The reason why we couldn’t enter before was because we weren’t considered his customers…

I’m not sure we ever actually established this, but alright!

And wouldn’t you say that she in particular is a special customer?

…In what way? I guess she’s seen Kaneshiro’s face, but that’s all I got, and we’ve all seen his face now too.

Let’s take her with us. She is responsible for our current situation.
Whoa, I don’t follow this at all…

Ryuji, that’s normal.

She risked her life doing something so reckless. At the very least, she has the right to know. Won’t you come with us?
What? …Wait. To where?
Yeah, where are we goin’?
Beats me…

Guys, please. The cat all but said it outright.

(to Fox) A canine!?
It’s Fox…
Be quiet. The Shadows are going to notice us.
A monster cat!?

Man, Mona gets that one a lot.

I’m noooooot!
That’s Morgana, the cat that was in Maaku’s bag. This is what happens when we come here.

Codenames, guys! Christ!

That voice… Takamaki-san? Where are we?
We’re inside Kaneshiro’s… well, the “world” inside his heart.
…What?
It’s another reality in which Kaneshiro’s distorted desires have materialized.
…Another reality?

It’s floating in the air!? Th-This is reality!? My goodness… ……

Guys, we broke the cop.

I’m sorry, it’s just… But since this really exists, I can’t doubt it…

Or you could just be having a psychotic break! Not to be confused with those psychotic breakdowns that have been on the news, of course. Generally much less taking your pants off at Denny’s.

A reality that one’s heart shows… Is it like the application of optical illusions in social cognitive psychology?

Zuh???
NEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRD!

That may be like overwriting their cognition… I think I kind of get the logic behind it…
(to Mona) Ain’t she more amazing than you?

After how long it takes you to get *anything*, Skull, I’d say you don’t have much room to talk here.

Then does that mean there’s an ATM version of myself somewhere in this world too?
Perhaps. Regardless, we can change Kaneshiro’s heart and make him confess if we steal his Treasure. …If it all goes well, that is.
We’ll make it go well. Everyone’ll notice us for sure if we take someone like Kaneshiro down!
Our justice will also become resolute.
Think we’d be able to give courage to those in need if it happens!?
For the sake of those in need, huh… You sound like my father.
Your father?
…No, don’t mind me. You want to go to that bank, right? Let’s go then. If I’ve become a customer of that bank, then they’ll have to let me in.

It came to us!
It’s just as I calculated!

I thought that I’d be able to get in since I have the same identity as such customers. I’m Kaneshiro’s source of revenue, after all.

But this was *my* plan…

But wow… This place is huge.
I rarely gotta go to the bank, so… this’s makin’ me kinda nervous.
Being in a bank with costumes like these is so obvious—we’re totally robbers.
You got that right…
It seems there will be a lot of Shadows from here on.
Huh? What’s that about?
Enemies attack us here.
I see… I’ve trained in aikido. Don’t worry; I can defend myself.

Uh, yeah, that’s not gonna do poo poo against these guys.

We have to go in from the front, don’t we? I’m an honorary customer, so I better act like one. …I *will* be useful for you guys.

Alright, just settle down there, sport.

Music: Price

Well, aren’t you eager?

You know, we don’t actually *have* to go in today. We could just, like, come back. We know this will work in the future, and it’s already, like, 8:30.
Nonsense! We have to cause a huge disturbance and alert the Palace ruler!
Right, right. I guess I was hoping we could, like… skip that part?
……
…Joker, what the hell are you talking about?
Dammit… I’m not gonna get home in time for my stories…

I had a feeling this would happen.
Come at us!
No no! Wait!

Wasn’t it your idea to walk in like a normal customer? Besides, I just told you that your martial arts training won’t work!

She’s one of Kaneshiro’s customers.
I’d like to speak with the bank president.
Excuse me, but do you have an appointment?
I need to talk to him. Now let me through!

Yo, banks have presidents?
Yes, but not the political sorts—in theory.

I strongly advise that you do not attempt to go elsewhere.

Huh… Ostensibly polite word choice, but with just a *hint* of menace behind them… They hold our lives in their hands, and they know it.
That’s a bank for you.

Really love that the “Days until Reported to Police” countdown is still there, by the way. The idea that Makoto is still about to turn us in after all this is very funny to me.

That comes to three million yen in total. You’re here regarding that, correct, Miss Beautiful President?

Extremely goddamn skeevy hearing this grown-rear end man refer to Makoto like that. Wait, no. What’s the one beyond “skeevy”? It’s that one.

You gonna call it off then?

Skull, come on man. You can’t be this dumb. I’m not going to let you be this dumb.

No—a loan. The interest rate is ten percent a day.
Ten percent interest a day… Um… Uh… That means… One day is…

Panther, you too!? It’s extremely easy to figure that out!

It’s three hundred thousand yen.

Well, la-di-da, look at Little Miss Math Wizard over here, calculatin’ all these fancy numbers in her head like that!

There’s no need to be alarmed. I have a more manageable option for people like you.
That was your plan from the beginning, wasn’t it?
Quite the impressive insight… Niijma-san. …Or should I say, the younger sister of the beautiful prosecutor Sae Niijima?

Ah, poo poo, she comes from a whole family of cops! This was a bad idea, guys!

How do you know that!?
Please don’t underestimate our intelligence network. My, what wonderful goods have come falling into my lap.
Don’t be ridiculous!
Young women are such great assets. They lack strength—be it social, physical, or mental. They lack physical strength and are dumb. It’s as if they only exist to be devoured by the strong. That just might be the rule since the dawn of history.
You truly are despicable…
You better be ready, Kaneshiro! We’re gonna snatch your Treasure from you!
Don’t make me laugh, you petty thieves. My citadel has the highest security installed in it.

Suddenly, Shadows!

Anyone will do anything for money. I’ll rob you of your lives as easily as you breathe air. *snicker*

Music: Keeper of Lust

This fight could be kind of annoying in the vanilla release, and it’s still a bit of a pain in Royal, but we have more tools to deal with it now. Remember, the Oni Shadows lack weaknesses. However, Technicals are so much better in Royal that a pretty good strategy I found here was to hit them with Fire/Ice/Electricity (and hey, we brought Panther/Fox/Skull, how about that?) and just hope to get an ailment to stick. If you can knock them down from there, a Baton Pass over to Fox for Rising Slash will shred them, despite their resistance to Physical.

A lucky All-Out Attack takes this wave down for the count.

The target is still alive! We must deal with them at any cost!

So now, once again, we are faced with two more Oni, and our health is looking a little low, especially Panther’s.

I don’t think I ever showed off Champion’s Cup, the skill from the Crystal of Lust Jose upgraded, but here it is.

An Attack boost to go along with the Diarama, nice.

Not too shabby.

Don’t let them escape! We must take them down!

Hired with money as opposed to *what*, dude?

We’re in trouble at this rate! Let’s run!

Music: Run, Run, Run!

Could those have been the Personas you mentioned…!?
Does now really look like the time to be asking that!? We need to retreat! Makoto, make sure you don’t get separated from us!

There’s no end to them!
Guys!

…Motherfucker, *what*!? I *live* here. You’re literally thieves. How am I the one sneaking around?

However, I do thank you for providing me with such wonderful goods. …It’s time you disappear.

Managing a bank is tough as it is. So it’s my policy to kill clients who are more trouble than they’re worth. Having one impertinent brat disappear is enough to set an example in that other world.
Please stop!
Oh, I wouldn’t damage an asset like you. They’re dead men walking, but you’ll be just fine. Your sister is quite a beauty though. I’ll make sure to make her my personal slave. Once I get bored, I’ll just sell her off. Oh, poor Sis…

Really didn’t need the weird gross sex poo poo to wanna pound this guy’s face in. Honestly, it’s just kind of overkill.
What are you even talking about, dude? Are you criticizing this guy’s big dumb villain speech?
I mean, I guess, yeah. This guy seems kind of like a chump, honestly. We’ve only met him the once and know pretty much nothing about him. I’m just finding it hard to get properly *invested* in this one beyond basic rage. It’s like he’s trying to make up for the lack of interaction we’ve had with him by going straight into the mustache-twirling. It all just feels so impersonal, you know?
I see your point.
Maybe not the *worst* Palace ruler so far, but definitely the *least*.
Oh my god, shut up.

Then you’d better start taking customers tomorrow. All you gotta do is endure it and do as you’re told.
Endure it… Do as I’m told…
You’ll earn three million yen in no time. Although, your life and everything along with it will be a complete wreck by then!

I’ve been listening to you go on and on…

Music: Awakening

Huh?

Video: Makoto’s Awakening

Very well. Let us proceed with our contract at once.

Please… Never lose sight of it again.

Music: Will Power

A Persona…?
No, dude… That’s a bike…

I’ve never seen anything like it…

ANGRY PUNCH GIRL GET

Line Changes!!!!!

During the first meeting with Shadow Kaneshiro in the conference room, the original game featured the line: “Young women are so useful. They lack physical strength and are dumb.” That (terrible) line is now “Young women are such great assets. They lack strength—be it social, physical, or mental.” It actually properly conveys the meaning now, in addition to not being awkward as all hell!

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 4, 2023

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I know it was you (rightly) criticizing the game again, but the mental image of a Joker who just mercilessly heckles every villain and shadow is hilarious to me.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
The bug eye helmets on the shadows never fails to make me giggle. Help.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Makoto's awakening is one of the few times Cherami Leigh can really let go. :kiss:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
This is why Makoto is my favorite LO, despite her being a cop

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Persona 5 and gratuitously threatening every female character with rape. Name a more iconic duo.

Also, emotional abuse isn't funny.

Gen. Ripper fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 20, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ah, my favourite awakening in this game and second favourite overall for the Phantom Thieves. I really wish that Makoto’s characterisation outside of this managed to keep to this level of done with things. Instead of the confidant story she actually has being fine but not really about her.

Ann similarly has an awkward one, but I actually think her confidant is at its best when it is about Ann and Shiho and their friendship and support for eachother.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNa43EJUi5c

Well, apart from one time in a spin off for a tired and dumb reason.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 60: 6/20-6/21: Talking It Out Between Girls

This update covers content from Part 54 of the original LP.

Music: Will Power

The enemy’s agitated! Take them down and make an opening!

Well, let’s get to work. Makoto's skillset is identical to what it was in the original game, with the exception that she starts off with Makajama, which has a high chance of inflicting Forget on one foe.

I know I already showed off Detox, but I really like this image I captured so I’m making you all look at it again.

We manage to defeat the two Oni, and the last enemy is knocked down by Makoto, so we’re all set up to see her Finishing Touch…

But nope! Ah, what a rip!

loving Morgana, interrupting the usual flow of combat!

Music: High Pressure

In the old LP, I mislabeled this track as “Run, Run, Run!” My apologies for any confusion.

We know how to get in now. Our objective’s been accomplished!
But how are we getting out?
There’s only one exit, right?

Do you want to get smacked?

Okay, we have a path!

Get in!

There’s no escape in reality, nor will you break through the security system here.

And don’t think I’m not gonna bill you for that door you just smashed!

It doesn’t matter what you do. You can kiss your bright futures goodbye!

That was no aikido—that was some hardcore rear end whoopin’!
I am SO not pissing her off… I feel like she’ll rip off my arm.

It’s a little late to try to avoid antagonizing her, don’t you think? We’ve been doing that constantly for a full week now. But yes, I see what you mean. She radiates passionate fury…

…Oh, stop it!

Can’t say I mind it after all that just happened, though… It’s unbelievable that I would join the Phantom Thieves I spent so long chasing.
Wait, join? We never said anything about that!
C’mon, man. After all that, you’re gonna stop her here?
No girls allowed!
*I’m* a girl, you dip!
Fine. Only girls who could beat me up allowed. poo poo, I think that means she does get to join. Dammit.
Glad that’s settled. Still, I can’t imagine what Sis would say if she found out about this…

You mentioned her earlier.
She’s a prosecutor for the district—and she’s investigating the Phantom Thieves.
Wait, ain’t that bad!?
No need to worry. A normal investigation would never lead them to a world like that. Then again, it must’ve been fate for this to happen…
What do you mean?
I can’t be like my sister. I had a feeling that there’d come a time when we wouldn’t see eye to eye anymore.

It seems like that time came a lot sooner for her than for me, though…

I’m thankful to have a sister who works so hard, but… there are times I feel sorry for her too.

Hearing my Persona’s voice let me understand my own feelings. I’m supposed to hear that weird voice buzzing in the back of my skull, right? That’s a Persona? Not a tumor or something?
Yeah, you get used to it.

It appears you’re not as reserved as you make yourself seem.
I was just doing whatever the adults told me to.
Won’t she be perfect as our advisor? She’s fearless and has a sharp mind.

Advisor? What is this, a school club?

Sounds good to me! We’ve needed someone like that for a while now!
I’d be honored if I can help out.
We had way too much testosterone anyway, so I feel much better hav—

So the Kaneshiro over here doesn’t know what happened inside the Palace.
That’s right, but his Palace will be affected if the real Kaneshiro’s cognition changed. We can’t be lax.
It seems it’d be best to avoid unnecessary contact with him until then.
Three weeks left, huh…
There’s that security system too.
But if we pull this off, it’ll definitely be great!
We’ll crush him like a fly. I’ll make him regret making me angry…
Anyways, let’s begin our operation tomorrow!
First wee need to secure a route to the Treasure like always.
You guys are finally starting to get used to this.
I’ll be waiting for the call to meet up.

I wish my Persona was like that.
Yours is on a ship though.
Dude, you kidding!? Motorcycles are way cooler than dumb boats! It’ll be just like the song! “I’m a phantom, on a steel horse I ride…”
Don’t say such things. And for the record, I am most certainly not “wanted.”

>Do you even have a license?
>Wait, poo poo, that’s an extremely cop question I just posed, never mind

A regular one, yes.
Niceee… I can’t wait to get my hands on one too.

Anyway… I’d just like to apologize for my actions. I involved all of you in this mess, misread your intentions, and couldn’t help Suzui-san either…
We don’t need to talk about that right now. We just need to deal with Kaneshiro.

Very well, I understand. Anyway, I will do my best to make sure I don’t slow you all down.

But it seems like it’s all worked out now. We’ll need to work together to get through this!

But now we’re going up against a real criminal. Stay on your toes, okay?

Hooray, the TV medicine has arrived!

Only because the way we define “crime” is arbitrarily narrow and excludes many of the most legitimately harmful acts to the fabric of society!
Are you yelling media criticism at the TV again? Where do you even pick this stuff up?

(Sharp Detective) They’re happening out there in the real world. Understand?
(Confused Suspect) Um… Why are you telling me this?
This detective knows what’s going on. Drawing on your own firsthand experience is important.

Worth pointing out that Sojiro is finally ready to rank up thanks to our constant floorclean and coffemake.

Maaku gains Kindness +1.

You know, I can turn into a car too, so it’s like… I feel a sense of familiarity?

Yes, both you and the motorcycle are incredibly weird, that’s nice.
Well, a motorcycle is cool and all, but it can’t beat me for carrying a bunch of people. Guess I really am… special…

Carry…? No… Take somewhere? Something just crossed my mind… …It’s no use. I can’t remember at all…

I had it right on the tip of my tongue… It was like there was a metaphor I was straining to remember… No, it was like *I* was the metaphor, and the *metaphor* was incredibly strained… Some bullshit about “hope” or something? Eh, it’s probably not important.

I need to concentrate on Kaneshiro for now. Unlike you guys, Makoto’s clever, so we can expect great things from her. But Maaku, you really do have something special.

My quiet stoicism does trend to attract total idiots to me, it’s true.
Makoto’s not an idiot!
Not at first glance! But mark my words, we’ll find out what her deal is in good time!
Well, whatever. I better step up my game if we’ve got a new member!

I’m sure Makoto’s brain can—

…… We got Yusuke, and now Makoto… This guy has quite the luck… Could there be some reason for it? Nah, that can’t be…

Now, to sleep on his face as revenge for him falling asleep during my speech…

Anon: Isn’t this a crime?

Lunchtime

Oh no, it isn’t a problem… I actually find it refreshing to be asked to the student council room.

That’s… a little weird! Wait, not what I came here to do!
If it helps, I’m definitely a little nervous.
Yeah, same.

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

I wanted to apologize. I’m… really sorry for everything.
What do you mean…?

…Wait, what? Do you not remember all of us being really cruel to you? I blamed you for Kamoshida…
…Oh, right. Well, you don’t need to…
I blamed you because I was too weak to admit my own guilt and failure to help Shiho… even though I already did blame myself and even told Maaku about it like, a month and a half ago… my feelings here are very confused, honestly.

…Hey, there is no need for that. In fact, I think the two of us are pretty similar.
Huh…?

Really, I too am indirectly responsible for the suffering that went on under Kaneshiro. I kept telling myself I wasn’t at fault, but I was lying to myself to avoid confirming my own worthlessness. I’m sorry too.

I see… In that case, wanna call it even?
Even?

We both hosed up hardcore. Only God can truly forgive us now, so why not try to forgive each other?

*chuckle* You’re right… How about we leave this conversation in the past?

Oh, but… one more thing. You’re not worthless, Niijima-senpai. You were a bit reckless, but you’re the reason we found a way into Kaneshiro’s Palace. And you even obtained the power to change people’s hearts. You did that all yourself, Niijima-senpai.
*chuckle* That way of thinking is very much like you, Takamaki-san.

…The hell’s that supposed to mean?

When you confronted me about Suzui-san, I realized how dishonest and small I was. You’re always very direct… That’s what helped me finally realize the error of my ways. It turns out I’m a little slow on the uptake at times… Hey… Can I call you Ann?
Um, yeah! I… I’m going to do the same, M-M-Makoto… Rgh, that’s so embarrassing!
*chuckle* How about we get something to eat before we go home for the night?

Why are you chuckling so much, Makoto?

Ooh, I know a place!

Do you want to split one?

Split? No no no! We’re each getting a whole one and going half and half!
You really are voracious, aren’t you?

Lunchtime → Afternoon

I believe some courtesy should be shown to those who are our senior.
Oh yeah… Should we call you Niijima-san, or like, Niijima-senpai?
No need to be formal. Just treat me the same way you would anyway else.

>…To be honest, I forgot your first name.
It’s Makoto.
>Whatever you say… Sojiro? Did I get that right?
Hell no!

I already just call her by name.

“Already” like that’s been the case for more than one hour.

For real? Did something happen?
That’s a secret between us girls!
Dammit, that sounds like fun.

>Ryuji, get your mind out of the gutter.
What are you talking about!?

All of you may call me by first name. No need to hesitate.
Very well. I shall do just that.

Music: Everyday Days

You! Pay attention! Is that how you listen when someone’s talking to you!?

Maaku gains Charm +2. They sure did add a lot of these Ushimaru chalk throws, huh.

Afternoon → After School

Music: Tokyo Daylight

We’ll take care of him ourselves and leave the world speechless!

(Energetic Student) Something like that sounds like it could lead to a lot of trouble. Akechi-kun mentioned that too.
I guess it does sound like they’re pretty dangerous, after all… There was a poll or something about the Phantom Thieves, and not too many people support them.

Talk about the Phantom Thieves was nonstop throughout spring. Will that go on through summer?
(Foodie Girl) The Phantom Thieves are neat and all, but summer calls for Soothing Soba! Don’t underestimate its flavor, just because you can buy it in convenience stores…
It’s tough to tell if they’re hot or cold. These noodles aren’t chill, but they’re… soothing?

Don’t you think it’s terrible how he insists that the Phantom Thieves are dangerous?

They actually save people, so he really needs to show some evidence to back his criticisms. As a journalist, I can’t let this slide. Maybe I should write a counterargument in the paper.

Oh, yeah. I’m sure the principal would love that.

No, I can’t let this slide. The influence TV has on people is incredible, you know. As a journalist, I won’t let him make biased statements that irresponsibly sway the public!

His prettiness is irrelevant to me! Professional journalists need to be impartial. Is what the Phantom Thieves did that bad? The truth is that people have been saved by them.

(Motivated First-Year) Whoa, really? But Shibuya’s not safe right now, and I don’t know it very well. But maybe Akechi-san will save us from danger and the two of us will fall in love!
Yes! Yes! He’d make like, the perfect boyfriend.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, yeah, I’m sure.

We’re returning The Great Thief.

In exchange, we’re going to take out The Gallant Rogue.

…What is it? You seem to be in a gloomy mood.
(Easygoing Basketball Player) No… Talking about competitions like that… You know I just lost the primaries, right…?
What are you talking about!? It was a good game! You won in spirit, so don’t worry!

It can’t be helped. After the Madarame incident, my acclaim has skyrocketed, apparently.

A true hero may be closer to you than you think. He could even be right in front of you… Ah, I can’t say more than that. There are rules a hero must follow, after all.

Heh, I understand if you think that way. Heroes are lone wolves who are often misunderstood. This is for the best. It’d be irresponsible to involve innocents in the fight for world peace.

(Kind Faculty Member) I was on the track team. Well, it’s been a while since I’ve done any running…
Track? That’s so hilarious! We don’t even have a track team after they disbanded. It’s because of Sakamoto, right? He’s a problem kid, just like us! Hahaha!
I know it isn’t right for me to say it, but Sakamoto really had some bad luck…

(Female Student in a Jersey) And it’s not just the volleyball team. They’re looking at all of Shujin with skepticism now…
That can’t be right. There’s still that honor student that does gymnastics, isn’t there? Ugh. I’m the one working hard, but she’s the one that gets the preferential treatment. This is so unfair…

It bothers me every time I interact with these two that the one wearing a track jacket is the one labeled as “Female Student in a Jersey” instead of the one who, you know, is actually wearing the jersey.

Yeah, tell girls you find them largely annoying. That’s a great way to attract the ladies. While you’re dropping those hot negs, I know two PUAs who’d probably appreciate the company, want me to introduce you?

(Gentle Male Student) The girl that walked by earlier? Yeah, she’s pretty gorgeous.
(Refined Male Student) She has a competition coming up, right? I hope she does well to prove the naysayers wrong.

Music: Tokyo Emergency

That’s why I’ve poured my soul into this song—to help restore our hope. I give you… “Lullaby of Ruin”!

Inside a ball of dirty bills
A tempter dances in the dank
Ready for a crazy party, baby
A night of greed, covered in money
Ten percent interest every ten days
Be sure to spend it… Wisely…

Thank you, thank you so much! How was the live performance?

Thanks! Make sure you spend your money wisely while you’re young!

(Young Cameraman) Let’s stop covering the madia… It’s getting dangerous… The higher-ups don’t want us covering whatever we want. I bet the director’s going to scold us.
Don’t get cold feet now! As long as we keep increasing our ratings, he won’t say a thing!

However, the Sun God will not be deterred by such things! I will continue to protect Shibuya! Those frightened by the criminal organization need only accept the power of the Sun God!
(Man with Clear Eyes) Whoa, I can see it… Healing is taking place… thanks to the Sun God’s blessings!

(Young-Looking Woman) Yeah, Akechi-kun! The way his eyes look to the side is pretty sexy…

The way his eyes look to the side? What?

I love the way he runs his hands through his hair too…
Did you hear what I just said? You really like younger guys…

Speaking of Akechi, he’s just hanging out on the other end of this passage.

I had some time until the taping began, so I decided to walk around for a while.

Huh. I guess they really do look to the side. Weird.

Must be nice being famous. For good reasons, anyway.

I’ve heard many rumors about a criminal group lately. I hope you have avoided involvement.

Ah, lovely.

That’s right… Nothing to worry about at all… Hehehe…

However, you needn’t hesitate to ask if you require help. I have police connections, you know. By the by, this city is never short on excitement. First that train accident, now this mafia…

The mafia especially seems to be getting a little too big for their britches! Whoever’s in charge may be getting a… visit… soon.
Not sure what you’re implying there, but I agree! I think.

Not to mention the Phantom Thieves. I’ve thought of a great any things during my stroll. That reminds me, did the Phantom Thieves go to the Madarame exhibit before committing their crime? What is their goal? And who might be their next target…?

I would love to chat more, but I really must be going. I hope to speak to you again soon.

What a nice—er, I mean, “pleasant” boy.

Why not check out the underground passage of Shibuya Station? There are job ads next to the stairs. I’ve considered finding work too, but I’ll just get rejected since I look like this… Haha. Oh, right. If you happen to see me at night… Would you make sure you stay a safe distance?

Oh, that’s good. Well, I’m sure that at your age, you’d rather have fun than be busy. Oh, right. If you happen to see me at night… Would you make sure you stay a safe distance?

Say, I’d like to ask you something. In the city, I keep hearing about phantom thieves. What kind of trick do they use to steal people’s hearts? Haha, well, I guess you wouldn’t know… Oh, right. If you happen to see me at night… Would you make sure you stay a safe distance?

(Modest Housewife) Fortunately, his salary is so low we’ll never have to worry about something like that…
That’s so brave of you. We’re much too afraid to put ourselves at risk.

“It’s so brave of you, going outside while being poor.

I suppose there are just things a rich family like yours could never understand…

(Easygoing Shujin Girl) Hmm, I think so. Akechi-san was talking about them on TV, after all.
It’s like what happened with Kamoshida. I think the calling card is the key. Do you have any idea who put it there?
Oh yeah, the culprits are still a real mystery… I wonder if they really are from my school.

Now that we’ve completed the first billiards Technical tier, we can buy a new pool cue for better results next time. We’ll do that later, though. We don’t want to blow half our cash on that thing at the moment.

Oh hey, it’s Ann and Makoto, getting crêpes like they said they would. This bit is new to Royal and it’s pretty cute.

Oh, how about some pudding a la mode? I’ll give you my tip on the best way to enjoy it!

Really? You guys sure love going to places like this…

No, actually. The cat won’t let me buy crêpes, I’ve tried.

I’ll be here spending time with Makoto today, so just let us know if we’re meeting up! We’ll head over as soon as we finish eating our crêpes!

You don’t have to do that, we’re not actually going to meet up today.

(Veteran Pick-Up Artist) Patience is a virtue at times like this. Don’t try to be as cool as Akechi. Go for more casual!
More casual… Wait, how would I do that?
Uhhh… you know. Take her out to a café or something instead of a bar…

Oh, hey Hamiru! You… gonna come in and work today?
Nope!

We pick up one Soothing Soba from Triple Seven and leave.

(Kichijoji-Native Girl) So true, considering the number of commuters who go through the Kichijoji Station.
I mean, why do they make a stop at Mitaka? Stop at Kichijoji! Am I right?
Yeah! They say they have less stations to reach the further out ones like Tachikawa, but who cares?

…You kids are really talking about public transit? Is that what you’re into?

Wasn’t your office in Shibuya?
(Stocky Man) Oh, yeah. But I’d already left… Though I’m sure I would have been a target of harassment myself.
Have you ever seen the mafia?
I don’t remember. I only walked along the major streets between the station and the office. Or it could be I just wasn’t paying attention to anything but work.

TAKIN’ YOU PUNKS DOWN RAAAAAAGH

(Bobbed-Hair Girl) Mommy, what’s a biker gang?
(Trendsetting Mom) Oh, um, w-well… They’re a group of people who like to ride bicycles!
Really? Then I’m gonna practice riding my bike! I wanna be in a biker gang, too!

Get your own, kid.

My friend’s big brother’s in high school, and he gave me one before. It was so good!
(Doting Father) I bring those home from the bakery nearby though.
It’s not the same, Dad! The one I had was way better!
I-Is that so? I actually thought the ones from the bakery were pretty good…
…My friend’s big brother gets them all the time.

Looks like we know what Sakai’s next request will be.

Say, you ever think about working at a host club? A host like you could make a lotta money!

What? Underage? I thought you were much older. You’re so mature for your age! Hehe!

Come on, you can even just try it for one day, a trial run, to see if you really like it!

(Bespectacled Taxi Driver) Well, I hear those thugs in Shibuya make a ton of money, and they party there like crazy.
Yeah, but Shibuya’s getting shady. It’s all because of some new crime organization or something. Maybe their money’s good, but I don’t want to get caught up in any trouble with those guys.

That’s right! There’s something you absolutely must do in case something ever happens to you! Wipe your hard drive before anyone finds out what’s really in there! I present Data-Bye-Bye insurance! Get it now at a special price during this promotion!

A bit too real, there.

(Sharp Lawyer) Phantom Thieves, huh? They must be pretty prim and proper if they’re handing out calling cards. They say they haven’t found any other evidence about them yet. I wonder what’ll happen.
The internet is treating them like they’re Robin Hood. I doubt the police can ignore this for long.

We enter the bookstore and buy their entire stock. Remember, this bookstore gets new additions every time we do certain activities for the first time.

(Sad Old Man) We can’t trust these suspicious Phantom Thieves. I hope the police finally get their act together. It’s getting more dangerous to go outside. If this keeps up, we won’t even be able to take walks.
People are saying there’s been a lot of bank transfer scams, too. We really need to be careful.

(DJ) I won prize money the other day, and it was a million yen! …Or did I? I never even entered any sweepstakes. Everyone, please be careful and watch out if this happens.
What is this—some new kind of scam? You’d have to be a fool to fall for that.

Well, as it turns out…

(Dog-Loving Girl) No, we can’t go home yet! Kotaro says he still wants to play!
(Gentle-Looking Mother) I’ve heard there’s lots of scary people around. You don’t want anyone to steal our money, do you?
I’m not scared! Kotaro is here with us!

And that’s gonna do it for this update, because I ran out of room for the rest of what I wanted to include!

Line Changes!!!!!!!

In the scene immediately after Makoto joins the party, Ryuji’s line “‘Sup, Miss Post-Apocalyptic Raider.” is now “So, you’re totally the Fist of the Phantom Star now, huh.” I guess they got clearance for that reference.

In the same scene, Shadow Kaneshiro’s line “There’s not a snowball’s chance in hell that a bright future lies ahead for you!” is now “It doesn’t matter what you do. You can kiss your bright futures goodbye!” Not really sure why they bothered changing that one to be honest. I guess the second half is a little clunky originally? Whatever.

When Makoto and Ann are hashing things out on 6/21, Makoto’s final line “Well, shall we?” is now “Yes, let’s! After school today, right?” Completely pointless change.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 21, 2021

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Arist posted:

…You kids are really talking about public transit? Is that what you’re into?
As someone who grew up in a major metropolitan city and relied on mass transit, gently caress yes, we'd bitch about the service and decisions of the transit authorities all the time since they impacted our daily lives.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I meant it more specifically as a reaction to the two "Kichijoji Native" characters, who exclusively talk about incredibly mundane and insular Kichijoji issues, but I suppose that's fair.

My original thought for commentary there was going to be a reference to that old terrible repetitive series of SNL sketches The Californians, the premise of which was a soap opera set in California where the characters talked pretty much exclusively about LA traffic, but I figured that might be overly esoteric and obscure, and it wasn't funny enough even to me to be worth it. Also, I just didn't want to out myself as remembering a bad old SNL skit :v:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Arist posted:

(DJ) I won prize money the other day, and it was a million yen! …Or did I? I never even entered any sweepstakes. Everyone, please be careful and watcho out if this happens.

Judgement Kazzy's been up to some poo poo I see.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Funky Valentine posted:

Judgement Kazzy's been up to some poo poo I see.

He is a pure, honest boy made of truth and fists. You take that back.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Judgement Kazzy would have destroyed Kaneshiro without even breaking his bicycle

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
me and six or seven other worked up, wild eyed heteros are gonna bust up a gas station with grappling hooks to protest obamas new hoagie tax

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

John McClane posted:

me and six or seven other worked up, wild eyed heteros are gonna bust up a gas station with grappling hooks to protest obamas new hoagie tax

this works suspiciously well

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

my friend spyroquagmire called me today. said he's trying to start a "weed NASA"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

who cares who the next james bond is. theyre all Lucifer

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 61: 6/21-6/22: Maaku Versus Determinism (New)

Let’s hang with Maruki today.

It’s gotten so hot lately. Really makes me reconsider the lab coat, to be honest.

Can’t be a proper science… guy without a labcoat, though! It’s just not done! I learned that from Hououin Kyouma!

Actually, I’ve been planning a little—uh, well, I should just ask: are you free today?
Maybe a break wouldn’t be so bad… Are you gonna help Maruki with his research?

Ah, great! Well. Come on in. Make yourself at home…

Music: Ideal and the Real

Or will it!? Today’s your lucky day! Please take a look at what’s on this table!

I found these cookies in an underground mall! Now we can have a little break! They’re kind of fancy cookies, too… I thought I’d get a surprise for you, since you’ve been kind enough to indulge me all this time. Go ahead, enjoy!

Oh, I know. As long as we’re talking about cookies…. They actually reminded me about this psychological experiment. The scientists prepared two containers, and put the same kind of cookies in both of them. In one container, they put only one cookie. But the other one was filled with cookies—ten of them. So then they had their subjects try cookies from each container, and asked how their tastes compared. Which container’s cookies were marked as tasting better? Any guesses?

Correct. Easy to guess, huh? There’s something called the “law of scarcity.” It’s about what you’d imagine from the name: people are drawn to things that are more scarce. You can see this law in action just by observing how excited people get over limited-edition merchandise.

In becoming aware of scarcity, we trigger our own desires, and cause a change in our cognition… Not only that—the effect spreads to our senses, and creates a subjective, observable difference in our reality. Basically, your perceptions can be changed by your cognition or preconceptions.

You know, you don’t have to tie everything back to cognition. It’s getting a little forced. And I get what you mean, but I don’t think it can be both “subjective” and “observable” in a scientific sense.

How do you feel about that idea? That your unconscious desires may have changed the taste of the cookie?

“My senses lied to me!” is some prime, grade A Dumb Guy poo poo, and I wish I could have picked it.

It probably sounds like an exaggeration, but something about that seems so beautiful to me. Maybe the human heart can falter, or be unreliable sometimes… But if this experiment proves anything, it’s that even a simple preconception can be enough to bring someone more joy. For example, take that story I just told you… What if you’d eaten that one cookie, and it had been the best cookie of your life? Say I never revealed the trick behind it. That cookie would have remained more delicious than usual. It would have been a subjective truth of your reality.

Man, you’re really into this cookie poo poo, huh?

Basically, what I wanted to say was… If this idea of preconception could be studied further, and actually applied to treating people… I feel like it could help a lot of people. Maybe even more than I could help through counseling. Then again, it relies so heavily on perspective. Some people might call it a lie, or see it as running from problems. …Still, even if that’s true, I still believe that method could save a lot of people.

I really need to watch myself. Whenever I’m talking to you, somehow I always end up going back to my research.

It’s more like… it’s as if I’m talking to an old friend.

I can sense a strong bond of friendship from Maruki…

A bit weird, to be frank…

Ooh! Mindfulness! When we’re bottoming out on SP, there’s a chance for it to recover by a small amount on Joker’s turn! Not a huge chance, though! Only seen it once or twice, actually! …But still!

What I’m going to teach you today is…

It was supposed to be a chance for us to relax, but it ended up being another big academic discussion…

Hmm… yes… and how does that make you feel?

…I’ve always been like this. I get so hyperfocused on my own research, I don’t notice anything else. Back when I was a student, people kept warning me about that…

All right, see you again soon.

After School → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain-

He prolly thinks his money’s just gonna come rolling in.
He does have the upper hand on us, after all…
If that picture got out, who knows what would end up happening to Maaku…
Guess worst-case scenario’d be he gets expelled.
No, there is a more serious alternative… He’s currently under probation, meaning… …I’m so sorry. This whole situation is my fault.

Don’t be like that. It’ll be fine!
>Easy for you to say…
We just gotta fight our way outta this! And when we do, we’ll be taking down a target even the police couldn’t! We’ll be heroes!
Right!
Very well, then. I put my faith in all of you.

Why are people so obsessed with changes in cognition today?

In any case, we’re in big trouble if we can’t change Kaneshiro’s heart. Let’s do this.

At an event in the city, several people started feeling nausea and were taken to the hospital. The health department suspects food poisoning and is carrying out an investigation.
You should be careful too. Even phantom thieves would get dragged down by a stomachache.

Have you ever given it any thought? What is “justice” to you?

I see. That’s one way to look at it, but you only perceive what is on the very surface. The boy who was featured in that TV discussion is still in high school. Akechi, was it? He is well-spoken and skilled in the art of debate—almost as good as I was at that age.

Tonight, we go to the Shinjuku flower shop and buy two Mega Fertilizers for our plant.

Then we head to Kichijoji for some darts since Makoto just joined up.

It wouldn’t be happening if they hadn’t spent years turning society into a capitalist nightmare!

HELL YEAH, DUDE

Both the aggressor and the victim here are looking for easy money. That’s the only reason this happens.

…Eh, on second thought, maybe not. When it comes to the mafia blackmailing literal children, you do not, under any circumstances, gotta hand it to them.

Well, let’s get in there and play some darts.

Music: Kichijoji 199X

Starting with Makoto, of course.

Hey, Maaku, can we go first? I’d like to test this technique I’ve thought up. As for the rules… Let’s try 301. It’s best to start with the basics, no?

Good start from Maaku. But can they keep it up!?

It’s already round 3… Make sure to stay focused!

Yes. The answer is yes.

Makoto, you switched off your targeting computer. What’s wrong?

I see… The positive effects of synergy between two people yield unexpectedly strong results…!

So, that went well. Now we just have to get Ryuji or Morgana for the next round and we’re golden!

gently caress. I guess we just… reload? *sigh* Man, you had to go and ruin it, Ann? Couldn’t let me get through this optimally, nooooo…

Okay, that’s sorted, let’s just.

Huh. Well, that sucks. But what are the odds it happens a thi—

gently caress. Okay, I feel like I get what’s happening now and it’s probably just gonna keep happening, ri—

…We’re actually doing this, huh game? You’re really gonna do me like this?

I have the power to stop this. I HAVE THE POWER TO END YOU. My PS4 external hard drive will relish deleting all data from you, you piece of poo poo!

I was going to do a funny bit for this one where I take a picture “threatening” my PS4 with a hammer, but I couldn’t find a hammer. Or a screwdriver, for that matter. I don’t actually think I own a toolbox, which is mildly concerning, honestly.

In a desperate bid to avoid the cold hand of what may just be some deterministic RNG bullshit, I go run around a bit and talk to some NPCs.

Oh, hey. Ann’s not here this time, maybe it’s all gonna work out!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Different path. Same result.

Music: Gate of Steiner

Man, I’m making a lot of references to Steins;Gate today…

Eventually, I come to the possibly-wrong conclusion that who gets chosen is determined by who is standing where during this initial shot, so I stop playing darts entirely when Ann is standing off to the right here and just reload instead.

Another reload, ugh.

Oh? She’s in a different spot! Have we done it!?

gently caress YEAH

We finally found the right worldline! (Well, sort of, it would be better if it was Morgana instead of Ryuji, but eh)

Whoa, 501? Settle down there, partner!

What’s happening here is that Ryuji is now TOO GOOD at darts and wants more of a challenge since he’s Rank 2. Whatever, it won’t affect anything.

I’m getting a handle on the darts minigame, as you can see.

Guess I’m up… I’m goin’ all out!

On to round 3. Hehe, you got this man!

Yep, doing pretty well for myself.

Heh… Man, I feel so motivated right now! Maybe ‘cause I knew you were countin’ on me?

Maaku gains Proficiency +2.

We got both a hat trick and a high ton, so that’s two extra points. Makes sense.

Maaku gains Proficiency +1. That’s the normal reward for not getting any bonuses.

We can train up, and have fun at the same time. This is a pretty handy place.
Well, see you around.

Anon: NO! Justice ain’t that simple
Anon: they’re up to something
Anon: NO. They piss me off.
Anon: Akechi-kun is right!
Anon: they got a criminal, so ya

Haven’t there been a lot of pictures leaked lately?
Want me to get you a job? It’s real easy.
So many weirdos lately… Is it that psychotic breakdown thing?
Been hard to meet my quota… I gotta find some suckers.

Anon: Justice? Sounds sketchy

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Early Morning

(Knowledgeable Office Worker) Yeah, I read something about that online. The beautiful fortune teller, or something… I hear she’s pretty good. A lot of people say her predictions come true.
(Fortune Telling Aficionado) Some say she can divine your very destiny. Maybe she can tell me who my soulmate will be… …I think I’ll pay her a visit.
A fortune teller in Shinjuku, huh… Didn’t we see her when we met with that journalist? She seems pretty popular. She said she’s there at night. Should we pay her a visit, too?

That floating bank really reflects Kaneshiro’s personality. He’s flying around so no one can trace his steps… He doesn’t trust anyone.

Wow, you come up with that yourself? What a cutting insight. It’s an incredibly obvious visual metaphor, Makoto, please don’t baby me about it.
…Sorry.

I bet security’s tight in there too. That’s why we should get moving soon. Why don’t we go to the Palace today?

You know, we could… But I have this thing… Ugh, such a pain, you know how it is…

Understood. I’m sure you have your reasons as the leader. I’ll leave my schedule open after school, so talk to me anytime.

Maaku didn’t actually have any plans, but he’ll be damned if he’s gonna let the newbie push him around!

Early Morning → Afternoon

He’s been demanding money, but I choose to ignore those messages.
Is that OK? Have any scary men shown up at your house?
No.
Kaneshiro still has the photographs in his possession, remember? Perhaps that advantage is why he doesn’t feel any urgency to act.
So do you think we’re safe for now then?

>I mean, it’s the mafia, guys. Keep an eye out anyway.

Just like Yusuke said, those pictures are bad news for us.
We will need to change Kaneshiro’s heart as soon as possible.
Agreed. I will do everything I can to help.

Afternoon → After School

Music: Kichijoji 199X

…Anyway, the punchline to the asinine savescumming trial I just went through is that the only people available to hang today are Takemi and Ann, neither of whom I’m currently prioritizing, so… back to darts!

We’re finally gonna watch this motherfucking cat try to throw darts, and I’m here for it.

Woo! Another high ton!

What is that cat doi—oh god, everybody get down!

Unfortunately, we don’t get a good image of the jump thanks to the iris out, but it’s still very funny.

Pretty good accuracy, all things considered.

So, now we’re into round 3… We gotta really pay attention to the score now!

Man, you sure got a way with words! I think I’ve got this now!

It was because I could feel your motivation. It made me able to try harder than usual.

No thanks, Yusuke. We got all we needed for today.

Ah, don’t be so glum about it. I’m not sure I have it in me to play another round after stifling my laughter at the cat trying to do it for so long.

However, it may be best not to be overeager. The challenge can wait until another time!

Maaku gains Proficiency +1, and an extra Proficiency +1 for getting a high ton.

Now then, farewell.

Well, at least we’re done with darts. For now, anyway.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Shoot, I forgot I had this one and was saving it for the appropriate section (3 updates or so ago)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 62: 6/22-6/23: Master of Disguise (New)

Evening

She must have some kind of trick. Maybe we should check it out.

Morgana, bad things happen to Ryuji all the time, that’s not an impressive prediction.

(Reporter) Wow, we’re really high up! The view from the observation deck feels like you’re walking on air!
(Pundit) I’m afraid of heights, so the street stalls in Asakusa might be a better fit for me… Hahaha.

Crossword time.

Once, again, I really overthought the hell out of the answer to “money holder.”

Even so, this one was cake.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

Hey! You c’n tell, rrrright?

Urp… Hey, kid, jush gimme some beer! Some alkamahol, jus’ ta be shuuure!

Really? Strange, I don’t recall having very much to dr—*burp* Whaddya think? I c’n do a preddy good i-imitation of a shober person, amirite? *retch*

You should take that performance on the road, my friend!

Aww, doncha be like that… *burp* Here, I’ll do anozher of my impressh… impressions. Thish one’s Akechi-kun, booooy detectivvve. “Hi. My name’s Goro!” Goro-ro-ro! Roro! Roro. Roll roll!

Doesn’t he know how dangerous Shibuya is? He was robbed there on his way home from cram school.
(Innocent Grade Schooler) I wish I could play video games sometimes too, but my parents won’t let me.

(Angel) Another straight boy? Oh, you shameless homewrecker!
No, it’s not like that. I’m talking about a boy I saw on TV! Akechi-kun!
No way, you’ve got the hots for him too!? Stop it alreadyyy!

Ugh, we’re back in the days where I’m transcribing these two. I’m not sure the localization team bothered “updating” their dialogue here, either.

Huh? I’m fine. Yes, I know there’s been some weird incidents lately. Of course, I’ll be careful. Don’t worry about your big sis. I’m not going to let myself get tricked again, I promise. Once I become a singer, I’ll make that money back and then some. No, I won’t be home for a while.

I’m suddenly reminded of how depressing this character’s subplot is. :smith:

(Partying College Student) No way… So sleepy…
Whoa, whoa—you can’t sleep here, it isn’t safe. C’mon, you gotta get up!

(Elderly Office Worker) I’m thinking of taking my family on a month-long vacation to Europe this summer.
Be careful if you do go. A number of strange incidents and accidents have been occurring lately.
Ah, yes, I had almost forgotten. There hasn’t been much talk about it lately.

(Adorable Woman) Yeah, yeah—the mafia, I know. Relax, the city’s perfectly safe.
So is the country, thanks to Taro from next door!
You mean that idiot dog who plays with anyone who comes near him? Real good guard dog.

I know a job that’ll make you rich. I can hook you up, but you’ll hafta legally erase yourself.

Hmm… I hate rich people… but I do want to be legally dead… Sign me up!

Nahhh, I’m just messin’ with ya… Heh heh. I love it at night… I get to cut loose n’ be free.

Then go home, kid. It’s not my problem if you stick around and somethin’ happens to you. Come nighttime, this is our world… Heh heh. I love it at night… I get to cut loose n’ be free.

(Foreign Barker) I’m sorry! It’s just so drat hard to get used to all the Japanese cultural formalities!
Yeah, but you’re no good to me if you can’t interact with potential customers. Don’t make me fire you. If nothing else, at least be the strong, silent type and try to scare off any mafia goons.

I worry Foreign Barker might be a little too neurotic for that job.

It say, “Website Usage Fee: 500,000 yen.” I never registered for something like this though.
(Sullen Office Worker) Ohh, there’s been a lot of those. The obvious remittance fraud. And yet, young people still fall for it. I hear tens of millions of yen get stolen this way.
They probably fall for it because of a guilty conscience. It’s a problem with upbringing.

Babe come over
>I can’t, I’m in Shibuya
I’m alone right now

(Thin-Voiced Woman) Oh, let’s not do Shibuya… It’s gotten really unsafe, I hear. I don’t mind if it’s near our office.
Girl’s night in Kichijoji? I dunno. Won’t they think we’re just a bunch of drab thirty-somethings out on the town?

The whole lot of ‘em are just a bunch of money grubbers! Don’t they know there’s more to life than money!?
(Charismatic Manager) …People do say that there are some things in life that can’t be bought with money. What about you? What’s more important to you than money?
Huh? Oh, um… Bein’ surrounded by my favorite things, I guess? Since I’m workin’ in Kichijoji and all, I wanna live in style!
Okay, sure… But doesn’t that cost money, too?

There’s actually a prolific café right over there. I was hoping we could discuss things over some tea, but…

As far as they’re concerned, anyone in my company must meet their standards of intelligence and attractiveness… If not, well, they take it to social media, denouncing and harassing the people in question. I wouldn’t wish that on you.

Am I not pretty enough to hang out with you?

Akechi wants to have a discussion at a café nearby…

This is a check for Level 3 Knowledge and Charm. We pass with flying colors.

Thanks. The place is really quite popular. It should be open right now… Let’s get going.

Hm? Who said that?
Who said what?

Well, I don’t hate sweets, but I’m not exactly partial to them… Fads tend to be fairly similar, so I’m more curious about its popularity than its taste. Well, why don’t we give it a try?

I actually enjoyed that more than I thought I would.

(Forgetful Woman) Ohh, you mean the guy who’s on TV these days… Who was he again?
(Fad-Following Woman) Wasn’t his name Akechi-kun? You know, the next-generation Detective Prince…? Should we ask him for an autograph? Might be something worth bragging about…

I’m sure she doesn’t mean any harm, but I don’t want to cause any trouble for the store…

We should go.

You heard it here folks, straight from Joker himself, Akechi did nothing wro—well, today at least. Probably.

Sorry, but I think it’d be best to leave. I’m only going to cause problems if I stay. A shame I don’t have glasses like you. Maybe I would have been able to get out of this situation.

Music: My Homie

(Forgetful Woman) Hey, is that boy really Akechi-kun?
(Fad-Following Woman) You know… Now that I see him up close, I’m not sure…
Maybe you were seeing things? I don’t remember the show too well, but I’m pretty sure he didn’t look like that.
Aww! If he was the real thing, I could’ve bragged about meeting him.

How is this working!?
That’s the power of the glasses, amigo.
They were five feet away and staring a hole into my skull! They surely heard our entire conversation, as well! This is nonsense!
Just give them back.

Side note: You can’t really tell in these screenshots because the resolution is lowered but Maaku is absolutely still wearing his glasses even while Akechi is, too. Guess they just didn’t want to swap the protag model for those eight seconds.

I suppose I’d better learn to watch what I say around you.

Haha… Are you familiar with the legal right of portrait? Or privacy, perhaps?

I think I’ve learned a valuable lesson. Thank you.
I can sense Akechi’s gratitude towards me…

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

But you certainly surprised me today. I can’t believe we got out of that with such a basic trick. It was an interesting experience, but… I definitely don’t want to go through that ordeal ever again. I saw firsthand what happens when I’m too careless with my words around you.

Though if you dressed as me next time, I think I might agree. I could use a stunt double. You and I aren’t terribly different in height. I’m sure my clothes would fit you. If we do this, it’ll have to be carefully planned, of course. I’ll be dictating everything, from hair to accessories.

Yay! Makeover! I wanna look like the prettiest princess!

Nobody would notice the switch, I’m sure. We proved it today—most people can’t see beyond the superficial. Whoops… I’ve an early start tomorrow, so I’ll have to excuse myself. See you soon.

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

Let’s read The Gallant Rogue. We’re a bit behind on our library book backlog.

Ishikawa Goemon was a thief without peer. So he was a hero of the common people, huh?

Early Morning → Morning

Speaking of rain, did you know that the teru teru bozu was originally female? According to one theory, it came from a Chinese paper doll of a girl—the “Sao Ching Niang.” When it came to Japan, it looked like a monk praying for sunny weather, and became male. In the history of the world, it’s not uncommon to twist people’s genders for politics or religion. Now then, Hamiru-kun, please look at this picture.

Now, do you know what this woman’s position was?

Psh, I know this! I read Makoto’s Persona bio! Also, the French kinda gives it away.

That’s correct. Pope Joan was a significant figure from the medieval ages. You’re quite the history buff. Joan—or Johanna as some historians argue—was the pope of Rome, even though women couldn’t be priests. As such, she was a legendary figure, sometimes thought of as an anti-church symbol.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

According to the legends, Joan was a cross-dressing girl brought from Athens to Rome. Praised throughout the city for her wisdom, she was eventually chosen by the people as pope. However, when it was discovered that she was a woman, she was stoned to death. This incident was regarded a taboo by the church. As a result, Joan was stricken from history books.
As long as they can do the job, it doesn’t matter if they’re man or woman. Sheesh, some people…

Morning → After School

We are, in fact, going to the Palace today.

Well, not today today, because we’ll be heading into the Palace next time!

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Honestly laughed out loud seeing this, it's like Maaku is wearing a wig

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 63: 6/23: It’s Showtime (New)

This update covers content from Parts 57, 58, and 59 of the original LP.

Well, let’s go meet up.

Music: Wicked Plan

I just had an idea—and a phenomenal one, at that.

So, what’s up, Morgana?

Well… It’s something I’ve been giving a lot of thought lately. Now that we’ve all gained some experience in battle, I think it’d be good for us to work on our finishers.
Our finishers? Yeah, I guess if we’re going to keep fighting, we ought to do it with style.
Right? Right!?

Uh, the enemy’s not gonna care how stylish we were. They’ll be just as dead. Who are we showing off for, exactly?

So I came up with just the idea… It’s maybe my best one yet! And we can definitely pull it off if you play a part in it, Lady Ann!
Me? Well, okay—what do you need me to do?
Now that’s our Lady Ann! Quick on the uptake.

Barf.
You can leave at any time, you know.
No I can’t! Did you forget why we’re even here?

What I had in mind was…

Really?
So, is that a no?
Well, it’s not that I don’t want to… it’s more like, isn’t your idea sorta impossible? Even in the Metaverse?

A strange blue glow emanates from Maaku’s pocket…

Could it have reacted to something…?

And now that Ryuji and Yusuke have arrived, we’re going to ignore that strange star development for the time being.

Things would get interesting if my sister ever found out…
There’s no time to be getting sentimental here.

What about that came across as “sentimental” to you? Anyway, I have some quick questions before we begin. I’m afraid I still don’t know much about being a Phantom Thief. Could you teach me about the Metaverse?

Okay, so there’s this guy named “Mark Zuckerberg,” and he looks and acts like a version of Commander Data who got really into cryptocurrency.

Simply put, that world is formed of a person’s cognition. There, you can change people’s hearts.

I’ve gathered that much. I’m more concerned about the method of transportation—the app itself.
You simply need to input a name, a location, and a distortion.
Yes, but if it’s a navigation app, couldn’t someone access our history on the server?

…!?

Welp, see you guys in prison.

Wait, why are you looking at me like that…? Has nobody thought of this before!?
I…
Now she’s catchin’ me off guard too…

Ryuji, don’t pretend that’s difficult.

And we don’t know where it came from, right? It showed up on my phone without any input from me… Do you know anything about it, Maaku-kun?

Okay, I can actually answer this one. The weird dude with the deep booming voice and the nose longer than his forearm gave it to us for mysterious reasons.
Why did I even ask…?
Great, now everyone thinks I’m insane.
I guarantee you do not have to worry about us *starting* to think you’re crazy.

…I don’t fully understand, but I don’t think we have to worry about people accessing our data. From what I can tell, this app is incredibly special. It wasn’t made by any ordinary means.

That is true… Perhaps our information is safe for now if Sis hasn’t already uncovered it and located you all.

We’re still learning things ourselves. I hope your sharp wit can help us with that.
Thank you. I’ll do my best.

C’mon, we just gotta take care of him before the time limit. We’ll bounce back from this. Plus people’ll really start admirin’ us if we can manage to take this bastard down!
Yeah, this is the perfect opportunity. We have to succeed, no matter what!

Even with all this rain, it’s not getting any cooler…

Let’s just head in then.

You all were using code names, weren’t you?

“Narc.” Done, next.
Please actually try.

This time’s a hard one… Maybe somethin’ like “Shoulder Pads”?
Why in the world did you focus on that?
I refuse to be called that.

Gotta be one word anyhow. Snappier that way.

What about “Rider”?
Sounds too much like a smuggler. Next.

I thought that sounded good. Do you want something cool or not?

“Fixer”?
I’m not a mastermind though. Next. Won’t you give me something better to work with?
She reminds me of an empress. You got anything, Joker?

How about “Unpleasable”?
Too many syllables.
“Picky” then.

Guys, she’s clearly a “Queen.”

Uh, I already have the card motif going on. Is this gonna be some weird thing where you’re like, shipping us to clear the way for your Ann fixation? I’m not down with dating a cop.
I believe he’s going for chess, not cards.
Whatever.
But either way, I’ll take it. Pleased to be working with you all.

Now then, could you explain to me the strategy for this mission?
…Strategy?
…You don’t have one? Wait. The Phantom Thieves were acting without any plans!?

…No! We totally had a plan! It was, uh… Dude help me out here

Uhh… We pretty much look around the area, I provide navigation when needed, and then…
If we run into Shadows, we beat the poo poo outta ‘em!

Great plan. A+.
You wanted the help!

Very well then. I feel like I’ll be useful for sure. It seems my role is to be the brain of this team. I’ll analyze Mona’s information and give out orders. Any objections?

It’s a little haughty calling yourself the brains…

N-None, Queen!
I bet Skull’s definitely the type that’ll be under a girl’s thumb.
Mona, will you begin navigating us?
Y-Yes, Queen!

YASS QUEEN oh god why am I like this

Him too, it seems…

Apparently we are acknowledged as customers who can be extorted.
…That’s fine. We can take advantage of his negligence.
Though I will say, it’s a little scary every time.

We haven’t taken a look at Johanna’s Trait yet, so let’s do that. Gaia Pact increases the party’s chance of inflicting Burn/Freeze/Shock by 25% while Queen is present. This trait is all about scoring Technical hits, since Frei gets a free Technical off all three of those status ailments. Pretty cool. Maybe not quite as flashy as Skull’s chance for a 40% physical damage boost, Panther’s chance for lowered SP costs, or Mona’s increased healing, but this is another always-active Trait and it really helps for setting up knockdowns on enemies without weaknesses—but I’m getting a bit ahead of myself there. We’ll cover that in a bit.

Anyway, we’re going in with the slightly unusual starting party of Skull, Fox, Mona. No Queen just yet, surprisingly. That’s for a specific reason we’ll see shortly.

Anyway, let’s head in via the secret passageway under the pig statue.

I don’t remember seeing this place last time. Just where exactly are we…?
There has to be a map somewhere. For now, let’s try to explore and search for the Treasure.

Hmm… I don’t like the looks of this…
You mean ‘cause you’re a cat?

…But, if it does end up making trouble for us, thhat could actually work out in our favor. We’ll have a chance to finally show off our surprise finisher!

Music: Last Surprise

Geez… Fine! Here we go!

Ready to go!

As this tutorial mentions, Showtime is a free team-up attack with no cost that activates under certain conditions. It’s… pretty busted, honestly.

Let’s see what all the fuss is about here.

Video: Mona and Panther’s Showtime (Watch this, even with gifs there’s just no way to properly capture this)

This is how I really feel!

Oh, thanks!

You have such good taste!
Meeeeooow!!!!

*giggle* Yeah!

Get a load of this!

Perfect!

And it just does massive damage.

So, that’s the first Showtime in the game. There are several, each involving a different pair of Phantom Thieves, and honestly? That’s probably my least favorite one. They’re so good.

Heheheh! It’s simply the fruit of our secret, passionate training—
Hmm, yeah, I guess we did put some effort into it. Still, I’m surprised it went so well…

Maybe it was because of the thing Jose gave us? That… star-shaped thing?

Back… then? Oh, you mean when I told you about the team-up idea?
So, in other words, the… star, I guess we’ll call it… reacted to Mona’s wish to fight alongside Panther?
Wish-granting stars… If that’s truly the case, we’re just encountering one strange phenomenon after another.
I don’t really get it… But, what I know is, if Mona and Panther can pull that off, can’t we do it too? Wouldn’t that be sick!? Hey, Fox, you wanna try comin’ up with one o’ those badass moves of our own? We could call it, like… “Art Run,” or somethin’!
……
C’mon, quit givin’ me that look…
There’s a lot we don’t understand about how this works… as usual…

There’s a few conditions for activating Showtime. If the battle’s going really well or really poorly, it’s more likely to happen.

Also worth noting: you can perform a Showtime with only one of that Showtime’s members in the party, you don’t need both. This is why we have Mona in the party right now, and we’ll swap Panther in after a while to save on his SP.

From there, the opening beats of this bank play out pretty much identically. The treasure chest behind the counter in the lobby now contains a Portable Battery, which gives whoever equips it Shock Boost.

These Orobas(es) have for some reason changed their elemental affinity since the original game. They used to be weak to Bless, now they’re weak to Ice.

Gotta get on top of the elevator, remember?

There’s a new room off to the side here.

If we climb up, we can get on top of this divider wall…

And grapple right over to the second floor. I have no idea why this is here, it’s completely pointless. You skip one fight, maybe.

So, there’s the Sleuthing Instinct ability from Akechi’s Confidant, which reveals one elemental affinity from an enemy. I believe this is the only time this entire dungeon that this procced, so… it’s pretty goddamn rare!

We get it, game. Jeez.

Anyway, let’s head inside the office and get the keycard.

We take these guys down in one round.

Queen, it was in no way difficult.

Use the keycard…

Why is there a whole-rear end room here just for the space above the elevator?

And here’s the first safe room. We’re going to take this opportunity to head back to the Velvet Room.

Music: Aria of the Soul

We’re going to fuse Flauros from Eligor, Orobas, and Berith. Unlike in the original game, we can make special fusions without all of the necessary Personas in our “deck,” as long as they’re all registered.

However, you do still need to pay the resummon fee to fuse this way.

We give Flauros Tarukaja, Rakukaja, and Maragi.

I shall become a fiery mask of thine, with my powers to see the past and future…

I can also see the past, it’s not that impressive.

Worth noting that Flauros with Tarukaja was our current Strength request, which we have just filled.

What is it, Inmate? Need to check on your penal labor? So, you’ve brought us another Persona we asked for.
You did indeed bring a Flauros with the skill Tarukaja. That completes our current assignment…

That’s a fair assumption, I’m very lazy.
I’m almost impressed, Inmate! That task list Justine wrote is really be helping you grow!
…I didn’t write the list. I had assumed you did.
Huh?
Though now that I consider it, there’s no way you could have written something so precise.
What!?
Still… this is quite the conundrum. I do not believe our master created this list, so who could have?
I want my reward! Give me the serotonin, I earned it!
Shut up, Inmate!
Caroline, should we consult with our master about this?
Nah, it’d be a waste of his time.
What are you two whispering about? Please cut me in, I’m so loving bored, you have no idea.
Anyway, Inmate, you have earned this new function of the Velvet Room. Please use it wisely.

I feel like my bond with Caroline and Justine is growing deeper…

Oh boy… Lockdown… Yay…

Okay, I kid, Lockdown is actually much more useful generally than it was before. Still not gonna get much use out of it, though.

You may now place a Persona into Lockdown and train it to learn new skills.
While you’re lazily wasting away, your Persona’s gonna grow all on its own. Talk about hospitality! …Anyway, time for your next task! According to the list, it’s… uh… What is it, Justine?
The next task is…

One more thing… The next privilege we provide for you will unlock great power. Therefore, we will need you to fulfill two more tasks before we can hand it over to you.
Heh… The world’s not so easy, is it!? First up, bring us a Phoenix that has Counter!

…I just said that, Caroline.

As always, speak to us once you have obtained it. We will know if the deed is done. Am I clear?

That’s the only business we had in the Velvet Room for now.

Return of the security cameras. Security cameras are annoying because you can’t cross their field of view, even when jumping between hiding points.

Smash the box to turn ‘em all off.

Ngh… But we’ll have to get through this area… Let’s do this, guys.

Good to know, Queen.

We freeze the enemy using Fox. Unfortunately, Queen isn’t in the party so we can’t properly take advantage of this.

Anyway, here’s Fox’s Scoundrel Eyes proccing to protect the party from Oni’s Rampage.

Here’s Black Ooze, a recolor of Slime. It’s weak to Electricity and Psychokinesis.

We eventually enter a large atrium, where we have to get keycards from these two guards inside this locked room.

I was always more of a Public Enemy guy myself. Anyway, that’s a weapon for Skull.

Here’s the vault we need the keycards for.

Apparently Treasure Demons can spawn into regular enemy encounters now? Huh.

Oh hey, a hostage situation. Forgot this was even a thing.

gently caress you I’m not giving you a goddamn Bead, are you kidding!? Sorry, Fox.

I have definitely gotten some absolutely vulgar team names from this assist mechanic before. Thanks anyway, PRH1104.

Well, let’s keep going. We can grapple up here.

Big bad shadow here, best be careful.

Motherfucker! And it’s been pretty long since the safe room, ugh. What happened here is that this Take-Minakata is weak to Psy—which I have on Matador. Unfortunately, Matador is weak to Electricity, which this Shadow uses. So it zapped me then took me out with Assault Dive, ouch.

While fighting our way back to where we were, I get Mazio for Skull.

And Mindfulness procs for the first time ever, and the only time in this dungeon! Remember, this was a Maruki Confidant ability that gives a chance to replenish Maaku’s SP when it’s very low.

When we get back, we find that the Shadow was near a Will Seed, which we grab. But not before that Shadow almost mercs me again.

We’ve finally smashed all the cameras, let’s eavesdrop.

I sure do love having these two keys that open that big door downstairs! Those intruders will never get through here!
Son of a *bitch*.
They look strong, let’s split them up and fight them individually. We’ll lure one away with the communication equipment upstairs.
Sure, whatever. We could probably handle them both though, honestly.

On the way, Fox learns Counter.

I also notice the elusive “Persona summoned facing backwards” glitch, which seems to have survived into Royal unscathed.

We’ve been ambushed! Please send exactly one person to help us!
(over intercom) We’re on break. Ask someone else.
Please! We… need someone… tough?
Fine. I’ll take care of this. Gary, stay here.

This run animation looks so weird I thought it was a glitch at first. The speed of the movement in no way matches with how dramatically this guy is running.

This was a trap!? You bastards!

Anyway, that takes care of itself rather quickly.

And let’s head right back for the second one.

Where’s Charlie?
We loving killed him, man.
Eh, I never really liked that guy. He stole my lunch last week. But, uh, I’m still gonna have to kill you guys. Sorry.

The second one goes down just as easily.

And we head into the next portion of the Palace.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 11, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I know I'm kind of skipping through the dungeon, but I really just don't have much to say here at all. It's mostly beat-for-beat identical, at least so far.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Arist posted:

I also notice the elusive “Persona summoned facing backwards” glitch, which seems to have survived into Royal unscathed.
Weirdly enough, with Matador here the glitch makes things look more stylish.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

I know I'm kind of skipping through the dungeon, but I really just don't have much to say here at all. It's mostly beat-for-beat identical, at least so far.

There is one thing that I think is different but that is towards the end of the palace.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
One more thing about the Showtime that's hilarious is that for a brief time after using it their pictures in the game's status screen change to their bad drawing pictures from the showtime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWT08GXsOAY

I like the extra touch that the Mona and Panther names are put in cursive even though that video covers it up with that Party stamp.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TwoPair posted:

One more thing about the Showtime that's hilarious is that for a brief time after using it their pictures in the game's status screen change to their bad drawing pictures from the showtime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWT08GXsOAY

I like the extra touch that the Mona and Panther names are put in cursive even though that video covers it up with that Party stamp.

GAH, I forgot to show this off! I'll have to put it in during a later Palace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arist posted:

GAH, I forgot to show this off! I'll have to put it in during a later Palace.

Speaking of showing off, don't forget bosses get a different Showtime animation.