Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

SirPhoebos posted:

I will say that the original build up of Ahn-Qiraj and C'thun (before the raid itself was introduced) was well paced if you were leveling in Kalimdor. If you paid attention to the environment, you notice a gradual build-up of the Silithids as a threat.

The stuff to actually unlock the raid is one of those ideas that sounds neat on paper but in practice is best run on a small MUD rather than a game with thousands of simultaneous players per server.

i leveled one of my many characters down through kalimdor on the alliance, and it did a surprisingly good job at slowly building up to the revelation of Silithus being this blasted wasteland of hives and dust

unfortunately, the zone itself is complete and total rear end to play in compared to the other zones, so i gave up and finished leveling in a nearby crater full of dinosaurs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Orc 7: The Call to Power

When I think about it, Warcraft 1 does a decent job selling a power fantasy to the player in its story. However primitive the storytelling is, the player ends up king or warchief by the end of the game. Orcs being orcs, you take the position by the direct approach.

I've thought about what an ideal remaster of this game would look like over the course of this LP, and making the player character a hero unit is one part of it. I like strategy games that represent the player character actually being on the battlefield - Fire Emblem and Supreme Commander come to mind in addition to Warcraft 3. Hence for my narrative human campaign, I felt compelled to justify why the player character is not represented on the field.

This is, of course, not how Orgrim Doomhammer's usurpation of Blackhand as Warchief plays out in the canon story.

All the same, it makes strategic sense. Blackrock Spire is not at all self-sufficient in resources, and strangling the supply lines to Blackrock Spire puts the Horde's nominal central command and military elite at Doomhammer's mercy. If they cannot counterattack and regain control of their supply lines immediately, they're in danger of withering on the vine while Doomhammer uses those same supplies to strengthen his own position. There's going to be huge pressure from Blackhand's own officers to cut a deal with Doomhammer and support his coup.

It's a smart strategy that appeals to the history nerd in me.

Estimated position - the map suggests we're on the eastern edge of the theater. As this mission is effectively non-canon, no location for this battle has ever been established. I'll explain more in the lore post.

This mission felt like a breather after Orc 6. Attacks were much less frequent and less intense, there are no new enemy units, and there was only one catapult-induced rage cheat moment.

First gold mine is immediately west of your town.

Following this road north brings me to a bridge. After the last few maps, I've decided not to probe the bridge further. As it happens, this river divides the map cleanly in half and this bridge is the only chokepoint between Blackhand's base and mine.

As we're now facing enemy orcs, they now wear blue. Most attacks take this form, a warlock and a necrolyte, and they're mostly inconsequential. Both units are very squishy, and the warlocks don't appear to have summoning unlike the conjurers previously (my instinct was that these are indeed the orc equivalent of human conjurers, and sure enough they are).

There's another gold mine in the far southwest corner.

Raider attacks are much less common than the warlock/necrolyte duos.

I can build walls now, but they're 100 gold per tile. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Up until the catapults rolled out, a spear squad did a wonderful job on base defense, picking off the necrolyte/warlock duos without suffering a single hit. Just make sure to kill the necrolyte first so it can't raise the warlock as a skeleton.

Another gold mine to the northeast.

Human 6 taught me to value far seeing, so I build a temple and make a necrolyte for the sole purpose of serving as a remote scout. Conveniently they came with dark vision, the orc equivalent, automatically researched.

This pays dividends immediately. If I had probed the bridge with a scout, it would have died to this.

poo poo.

Once again, I lose almost my entire army. Something I've discovered is that if you move spearmen/archers/raiders/knights immediately when they're targeted by a catapult, they'll just barely escape the blast (which, remember, will one shot spears/archers and do 2/3 the max hp of raiders/knights). If your reflexes are even slightly off, you're taking the hit. Upgrading the speed on raiders/knights makes this micro-or-die window more forgiving, and if there's two lessons I learned from this mission, one of them is that I absolutely have to rush for raiders/knights and improved speed, upgrades for my other units can wait because they aren't involved with the binary do-or-die nature of catapults.

As Orc 6 hinted, I can now train my own warlocks and they can summon their own beasties. In this case, spiders.

Another odd fit in hindsight. The modern Horde loves scorpions but isn't one for spiders. The Forsaken don't mind them but that's about it.

Cheating ensues to deal with that goddamn catapult and rebuild my army in a reasonable amount of time.

My necrolyte has dutifully continued to scout for me and finally found Blackhand's base.

No need for an archer to scout and pull enemy defenders when I can summon spiders to do the job. It turns out that the number of spiders a warlock can summon depends on their magic bar. A full bar gets four spiders.

Spiders may be weak as combat units, but they can still chew through fragile units like an unsupported warlock quickly.

Serious opposition splats them in two or three hits, but they did what I needed them to do.

Blackhand's base is much more intelligently designed than previous towns. The main (only?) way in is from the east, while all the production buildings are on the western edge of town. I have no idea if the AI respects needing tech buildings or not.

I lose almost all of my melee units during the sack, but my spear squad and catapults are more than enough to clean up.

But so far, at least, the AI respects how slow unit production is for the player and so once the sack is in full swing it can't produce enough reinforcements to turn the tide.

That raider did not die to enemy attack. Note to self: do not send melee units and catapults to attack the same target. Incoming fire has the right of way.

And that is that.

The scoring issues have spread to the orcs as well.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 14, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hammer Time

Now that we've seen a completely non-canon depiction of how our protagonist seized control of the Horde, I think it's time we finally get a better look at him.

Today's subject, Orgrim Doomhammer.

Doomhammer has a long, melodramatic, and utterly irrelevant backstory that builds him up as a particularly noble savage. He's a brilliant warrior, a natural leader, a cunning strategist, a genocidal warmonger, all very standard Blizzard heroic leader dude stuff.

He’s also one of the most frequently and severely retconned characters in all of Warcraft. Chris Metzen really wants you to think that Doomhammer is a heroic character who did the best he could in terrible situations, and to this end wrote that he’s exceptionally brilliant and never wrong and everything he did leading up to Warcraft 1 up through his death was the only possible thing that would have worked. Even though he’s an active director in an imperialist war of conquest with the explicit aim of exterminating native civilizations to make room and resources available for his own colonizing people.

This is, in my opinion, utter bullshit that does not merit further discussion.

The one important detail in Doomhammer's backstory is this: he did not drink Mannoroth's blood. He is what Warcraft will later come to call a Mag'har, an uncorrupted orc. This does not mean that Doomhammer is not an rear end in a top hat, he never had any objection to the genocide of the draenei, the subjugation of the ogres, or the Horde's bloothirsty traditions of might make right. He only objected that the Horde's use of fel magic was unsustainable and starting to kill Draenor as a planet. Because Blackhand in canon is an idiot, he accepted Doomhammer refusing to drink Mannoroth's blood as a sign of humility and subservience, even though Doomhammer had been an outspoken critic of the use of fel magic.

Throughout the First War, Doomhammer served as Blackhand's second in command even as he hated him, and waited for the correct moment to strike. Again, Doomhammer had absolutely no problem with conquering Stormwind and slaughtering every human in sight, he was just concerned that fel magic would kill this planet like it was killing Draenor, and you should really prioritize environmental sustainability when getting on with your colonial invasions and ethnic cleansing of the natives. What's the point of slaughtering all the residents of your new living space if magical pollution's going to ruin it all?

Doomhammer's coup in canon only happened after the death of Medivh, which we haven't see in WC1 yet, because Medivh's death also knocked that pesky jerk named Gul'dan - reference here if you've forgotten who he is - into a coma.

Like every noble savage culture in fiction, orc culture has a long tradition of letting people challenge the king to an honorable one on one duel for the throne if he (and it is always specifically he) feels that the king (or warchief or khan or other dictatorial strongman leader not elected by a mandate of the masses via direct democracy or some form of republicanism) is weak, and in canon that's how Doomhammer's coup played out: two mostly naked, sweaty muscle men wrestling for hours in a scene that I suspect Metzen furiously insists was not remotely sexual.

In the end, the evil overlord defeated the other evil overlord, and the Horde rejoiced before resuming the genocide of the native inhabitants of this world so they could evacuate their own people from their dying world and claim this one as their own.

As the orc campaign in WC1 is canon, I'll talk about Doomhammer's future role in the story of Warcraft as we get to it. Oh, he did have a neat magical hammer called the Doomhammer that was tied up in the power of the elementals on Draenor and was the subject of a few prophecies. Doomhammer passed the Doomhammer to some loser named Thrall, who eventually passed it to the player characters in World of Warcraft, who used it for one expansion then sucked all the magic juice out of it, replaced it with a green in the first zone of the next expansion, and tossed it in their banks to rot where it remains to this day.

Orgrim Doomhammer as a character is mostly a factory-standard noble savage leader character, with the only unusual twist to him being his consistent hatred of fel magic and endangering the planet. He's a colonial warlord who enthusiastically commits genocide against other races who he doesn't perceive as having anything to offer him, but he doesn't like pollution ruining his new vacation home built on the bones of women and children. Credit where it's due.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I recall the scorpion/spider summons as being pretty crucial for some of these missions, at least the way I played them. If you have enough casters to constantly hurl out a swarm of them, they can eventually wear down any hostile force or base enough for a proper assault with catapults and the works to succeed.

Against humans it's a bit trickier since clerics can patch up minor injuries, but it often still works against them.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Didn’t you say all the orcs who didn’t drink demon blood were killed? Retcon!

I always thought Ogrim Doomhammer had a badass name. One other name I wonder about though- was Blackrock spire named for the clan that took up residence there or was the name a happy coincidence?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The art of the area shows a rock spire that happens to be black, though it is possible that the orcs either brought it with them or built it after the fact. I'm going to go with "They brought it with them" just because the mental image of a large group of orcs trying to wrestle it through the portal and refusing to leave it behind because "How else will people know we're the Blackrock tribe? What if they dont have black rock on the other side? We can't use grey rock!" Is too enjoyable to pass up.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

achtungnight posted:

I always thought Ogrim Doomhammer had a badass name. One other name I wonder about though- was Blackrock spire named for the clan that took up residence there or was the name a happy coincidence?

One of the books mentions that the name predates the arrival of the orcs on Azeroth.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

achtungnight posted:

I was simplifying at the time for the sake of introducing the setting. :) As a matter of fact, we already met one other orc who never drank demon blood - Griselda - and in WC3 we'll meet an entire clan that didn't.

quote:

One other name I wonder about though- was Blackrock spire named for the clan that took up residence there or was the name a happy coincidence?

Pure coincidence, officially. The Blackrock clan is named after a volcanic mountain on Draenor, and they found a volcanic mountain on Azeroth that had also been dubbed Blackrock Mountain.

The weird part is less that and more that the orcs have set up shop in the middle of a dwarf kingdom and there's a sprawling city directly underneath Blackhand's headquarters.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Of course we all know the reason Doomhammer hated the Black hand enough to kill him and usurp power. He was just so sick of hearing that nutter talk incessantly about that Kane fellow.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I quite like this plot setup for the mission. Often enough in strategy games when you have a mirror match the story is all about how "some faction within the army has rebelled and is making a bid for power/freedom!" so it's a fun change to be the small faction rebelling to take control.

Doomhammer is very caught up in between both being a key player in the Horde of early Warcraft but also being the starting point of the more sympathetic Horde in WC3 onwards, and Blizzard really failed to thread that needle. It can be done, I'm sure of that, but trying to paint him as a heroic figure isn't how you do it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cythereal posted:

The weird part is less that and more that the orcs have set up shop in the middle of a dwarf kingdom and there's a sprawling city directly underneath Blackhand's headquarters.

I don't know about Warcraft Dwarves, but, depending on how much this was still drawing from the earlier Warhammer Fantasy roots at this point, it's entirely possible the Blackrock Dwarves just didn't care about the hoard of orcs on the surface, as long as they didn't try to invade the keep. Hell, considering the timespan from the orcs arrival to the end of the war, it's possible they didn't even realize there were orcs on the surface (do Warcraft Dwarves have underways connecting the various keeps?)

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I think the Dark Iron Dwarves were in the middle of being enslaved by fire elementals at the time of the war.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Rhonne posted:

I think the Dark Iron Dwarves were in the middle of being enslaved by fire elementals at the time of the war.

Yeah, fire elementals enslaved to the old gods, and for the old gods at least on the surface the orcs would have been a good thing to them in that they would probably have damaged the titan seals during their rampages, they might even have had the Dark Iron provide weapons to the orcs in return for not bothering them

now once the burning legion bits started to come out the Old Gods would have moved against the orcs to protect themselves from big bad Sarg reaching the planet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AtomikKrab posted:

Yeah, fire elementals enslaved to the old gods, and for the old gods at least on the surface the orcs would have been a good thing to them in that they would probably have damaged the titan seals during their rampages, they might even have had the Dark Iron provide weapons to the orcs in return for not bothering them

now once the burning legion bits started to come out the Old Gods would have moved against the orcs to protect themselves from big bad Sarg reaching the planet.

There's this little group called the Twilight's Hammer that's actively taking part in the invasion, so yeah. I'll delve into what's been subsequently established about them and their part in WC1 in the next lore update.

Doesn't mean I don't find it weird that WoW retconned an entire city to being directly underneath Blackhand's headquarters (and then Doomhammer's in WC2) and no one said anything about it until WoW. :v:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

FoolyCharged posted:

Of course we all know the reason Doomhammer hated the Black hand enough to kill him and usurp power. He was just so sick of hearing that nutter talk incessantly about that Kane fellow.

Peace through power?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It's a shame really, if it wasn't for the genocidal war, demonic corruption, or elemental enslavement, the Blackrock Orcs and Dark Iron Dwarves probably would have gotten along pretty well. They have a lot of similarities, they're both considered the rear end in a top hat clans of their respective races, WoD shows us that the Blackrock Clan is the most industrial of the orcs, going all in on the technology they are given and would probably be way into the dwarven tech if given a chance, and uncorrupted BR Orcs even have the same dark and ash grey skin tones as the DI Dwarves from living in volcanic mountains for generations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rhonne posted:

It's a shame really, if it wasn't for the genocidal war, demonic corruption, or elemental enslavement, the Blackrock Orcs and Dark Iron Dwarves probably would have gotten along pretty well. They have a lot of similarities, they're both considered the rear end in a top hat clans of their respective races, WoD shows us that the Blackrock Clan is the most industrial of the orcs, going all in on the technology they are given and would probably be way into the dwarven tech if given a chance, and uncorrupted BR Orcs even have the same dark and ash grey skin tones as the DI Dwarves from living in volcanic mountains for generations.

Important correction: the Blackrocks in modern WoW are considered to be a major rear end in a top hat clan, but this was not the case during WC1 or WC2. Blackhand was chosen as Warchief because he enjoyed the genuine respect of almost every clan - he was about the only guy every clan was willing to follow to war.

The rear end in a top hat pariah clans of this era were the Dragonmaw and Shattered Hand.

GhostStalker posted:

Peace through power?

Tbh, Blackhand probably would have liked the real-world historical Black Hand, considering they were a bunch of ultranationalist fascists bent on world conquest and ethnic cleansing...

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Cythereal posted:

The rear end in a top hat pariah clans of this era were the Dragonmaw and Shattered Hand.

I'd also include the Burning Blade in this group, since their Warcraft II blurb is basically "even the other orcs think these guys are psychos".

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
So is the titular Doomhammer a small, spikey, blade topped mace/hammer? Or a gloriously smoothe wolf emblazoned battle hammer? We'll never know!

Also does Doomhammer wear or not wear cool custom full-plate armour that is important enough to bequethe to his successor? We'll never know!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

life_source posted:

So is the titular Doomhammer a small, spikey, blade topped mace/hammer? Or a gloriously smoothe wolf emblazoned battle hammer? We'll never know!

This actually reminds me of a parable (or more famously from one of the Diskworld novels) about a family's axe, and how the father asks the child "Look at this axe, it has been passed down in our family for generations. When I had to splint the handle, did it stop being our ancestral axe? When my father had to replace the old handle, did it stop being our ancesteal axe? When his father had to replace the old axe head because it had worn down too much, did it stop being our axe? The axe is more than the pieces that make it."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Randalor posted:

This actually reminds me of a parable (or more famously from one of the Diskworld novels) about a family's axe, and how the father asks the child "Look at this axe, it has been passed down in our family for generations. When I had to splint the handle, did it stop being our ancestral axe? When my father had to replace the old handle, did it stop being our ancesteal axe? When his father had to replace the old axe head because it had worn down too much, did it stop being our axe? The axe is more than the pieces that make it."

It's a classical thought experiment known as the 'Ship of Theseus.'

I've also been warned today that Human 7 is notoriously buggy, so I guess I'll discover tonight or tomorrow whether the GOG version fixed the bug or not.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 14, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Right, a parable (I had first heard the axe version as a wee tot, which is what I always default to when trying to remember it.)

Either way, the point is that the Doomhammer can change over time, but as long as people say it's the doomhammer, then it's the doomhammer.

So... is WoW worth playing at all now? All this talk of Warcraft kind of has me wanting to give it another go. Last time I played was... uh... Burning Crusade.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Randalor posted:

I think the Discworld one is about a horse shoeing hammer. But that idea makes too much sense for Warcraft and it was probably just another senseless retcon.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Doomhammer was one of those characters that was done absolutely dirty in Warlords of Draenor.

He's this big lore figure, that you see like... a couple of times in one zone (as Horde, dunno about Alliance), and then he's killed pretty unceremoniously. No cut-scene death for Doomhammer, and not even by a player character.

Hell, I don't think he even gets a special model or anything.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Cythereal posted:

I've also been warned today that Human 7 is notoriously buggy, so I guess I'll discover tonight or tomorrow whether the GOG version fixed the bug or not.

I'm genuinely kind of surprised that a specific mission in Warcraft 1 can be buggy, because of how they all seem to use the same moving parts, with not much in the way of scripting or such, I'd have expected that either they'd all be bugged or none of them would be.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm genuinely kind of surprised that a specific mission in Warcraft 1 can be buggy, because of how they all seem to use the same moving parts, with not much in the way of scripting or such, I'd have expected that either they'd all be bugged or none of them would be.

Human 7's idea is that you're staging a prison break on a Horde slave camp and using the freed peasants to build your base. From what I've read, going for the slave camp right away causes the AI to go bugfuck insane because it's acting like you've started attacking its main base, which normally causes the AI's aggression to spike and send everything they have at you. So you actually want to ignore the slave camp until after you've taken out the main Horde base.

Randalor posted:

So... is WoW worth playing at all now? All this talk of Warcraft kind of has me wanting to give it another go. Last time I played was... uh... Burning Crusade.

Do you enjoy incredibly hard raids and dungeons, and don't mind long grinds and starting from way behind? Do you not have a problem with giving money to a company run by pedophiles and rapists? Do you enjoy stories where authorial voices tell genocide survivors to get over it, you'll never heal and move on if you stay angry about the slaughter of 90% of your people?

If the answer to all of these questions is 'yes,' then WoW welcomes you.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm just waiting for the reveal that the "buggy" aspect is a "Well, actually, scorpions are an arachnid" kind and not "Game hardlocks when X/Y/Z are done". Never got that far in Warcraft, just a thought when I saw the word buggy.

Cythereal posted:

Do you enjoy incredibly hard raids and dungeons, and don't mind long grinds and starting from way behind? Do you not have a problem with giving money to a company run by pedophiles and rapists? Do you enjoy stories where authorial voices tell genocide survivors to get over it, you'll never heal and move on if you stay angry about the slaughter of 90% of your people?

If the answer to all of these questions is 'yes,' then WoW welcomes you.

Good to know, I'm going to go back to playing Lego Star Wars then! I do have an issue with the second part and stopped giving Blizzard my money awhile back, I kind of assumed the second part, but then again, I played the game back when it first came out so "long grind" is kind of subjective, and wait, what's that about the third part?

I just wanted to know if it was fun to run around in the free 20 level bit...

Randalor fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 14, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Quote is not edit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Randalor posted:

and wait, what's that about the third part?

Cythereal posted:

How about we not talk about this one again for a while? :v:

Cythereal posted:

To quote Taran Zhu, Master of the Shado-Pan: "This war ends when one of you stands down and WALKS AWAY."

But no one did walk away, and now we have an official short story about a priestess in a city burning to the ground spending her final moments in life praying to her goddess that all the babies in the nursery be sent to a dreamless sleep so they won't have to feel themselves burning alive.

The Horde committed genocide again a few years ago and once again the pissed off survivors (lead by women once again) were told by authorial self-inserts that they're being irrational if they stay angry about it and you'll only heal and move on if you stop being angry and blaming the Horde for its actions.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Randalor posted:

Good to know, I'm going to go back to playing Lego Star Wars then! I do have an issue with the second part and stopped giving Blizzard my money awhile back, I kind of assumed the second part, but then again, I played the game back when it first came out so "long grind" is kind of subjective, and wait, what's that about the third part?

I just wanted to know if it was fun to run around in the free 20 level bit...
If all you want to do is run around the free trial and level, yes it’s fun.

All the grindy poo poo and being behind and hard dungeons/raids that Cythereal mentions happens at max level; the actual 1-60 leveling experience is quite smooth and enjoyable.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So do the two factions just take turns genociding each other, or... because that's what I'm getting from how people have been talking about both the Alliance and Horde.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

There are plenty of private servers for playing WoW out there that don't involve giving Blizzard money. I dabbled on a Wrath of the Lich King (second expansion) server for a couple months with a buddy. Then the FF14 expansion came out and I was pretty tired of ten year old MMO design by then so I dropped it.

I've definitely seen up to Mists of Pandaria (fourth expansion) and I'm sure there are servers that go to Legion, the sixth expansion and last one that most players would consider "good."

Randalor posted:

So do the two factions just take turns genociding each other, or... because that's what I'm getting from how people have been talking about both the Alliance and Horde.

Have the Alliance ever actually committed war crimes the same way the Horde has? I didn't play Alliance past vanilla so I really don't remember.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Beta for Azeroth had a bunch of juvenile genocide crap so Steve "I wanna gently caress Sylvanas" Danuser could, uh, make it "morally grey".

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Randalor posted:

No it's mostly just the Horde

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

life_source posted:

I think the Discworld one is about a horse shoeing hammer. But that idea makes too much sense for Warcraft and it was probably just another senseless retcon.

It's probably come up multiple times in that series, and knowing Pratchett he absolutely would field it for something as seemingly inconsequential as a farrier's hammer. The version about the axe did come up in The Fifth Elephant during the denouement to help resolve a major plot thread about something else entirely being Theseus'd. (It was one of the first of the series I'd read, it's stuck with me.)

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Have the Alliance ever actually committed war crimes the same way the Horde has? I didn't play Alliance past vanilla so I really don't remember.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Randalor posted:

I personally enjoy the gameplay a lot and running through old raids is really fun, but it comes with the absolutely gigantic caveat that playing while Bobby Kotick is still in charge is something I would ethically recommend against doing.

Also, ignore the story past Legion, it's pretty much entirely garbage outside some small elements involving Jaina.

Cythereal posted:

The Horde committed genocide again a few years ago and once again the pissed off survivors (lead by women once again) were told by authorial self-inserts that they're being irrational if they stay angry about it and you'll only heal and move on if you stop being angry and blaming the Horde for its actions.

but don't worry, it was all one woman's fault, everyone else was just following orders

(A "fun" note: I'm pretty sure it's been said that the guy in charge of writing this scenario was one known for constant sexual harassment. I say one because there are quite a few Blizzard higher-ups with this distinction.)

Jen X fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 14, 2022

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Randalor posted:

No, it’s mostly this:
1.) Horde elects a shithead leader.
2.) Horde commits genocide on the Alliance or nukes a city or some other massive war crime, due to said shithead.
3.) Alliance teams up with some part of the Horde to kick said shithead out of power.
4.) The Alliance completely and immediately forgives and forgets*.

* Please ignore such questions as “Wait, since when is following orders a defense?” “Don’t the rest of you have some culpability for picking shithead in the first place? and “Weren’t y’all loyally following shithead less than a week ago?”

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My personal little favorite war crime is the orc general who found a ship full of Gilnean refugees (who weren't even members of the Alliance at the time), slaughtered them, and skinned them. The final quest in that sidequest chain is killing the general and retrieving the 'wolf-skin helm and cloak' he's wearing. So the quest-giver can give them a burial, because his brother was a werewolf and the orc general literally tanned his brother's skin and made it into a hat-and-cloak ensemble to wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

WHAT THE gently caress?