Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I mean I've never been shot with a rubber bullet but I can't imagine it's a particularly pleasant experience wherever it hits you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Julio Cruz posted:

I mean I've never been shot with a rubber bullet but I can't imagine it's a particularly pleasant experience wherever it hits you

lol yeah whatever liberal millennial snowflake. you know when i was younger, people were tougher and patriots. true americans etc

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The anthem should be “Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue” by Toby Keith

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Sorry, but I'm not worshiping every rear end in a top hat who went through boot just for a high APR Cámaro.

Besides, right wingers only like the troops as long as you don't raise any fuss about being a tool for imperialism, the treatment of troops after service, or just exhibit Leftist behavior in general. Then you're just a tin soldier who will be mocked with a purple bandaid. They only like you as far as they can use you.

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 18, 2019

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

If you want to be respected, and your opinion matter, you wouldnt be an enlisted rank soldier.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Forceholy posted:

Sorry, but I'm not worshiping every rear end in a top hat who went through boot just for a high APR Cámaro.

Besides, right wingers only like the troops as long as you don't raise any fuss about being a tool for imperialism, the treatment of troops after service, or just exhibit Leftist behavior in general. Then you're just a tin soldier who will be mocked with a purple bandaid. They only like you as far as they can use you.

But if you earn $170 million kicking emails about for 90 minutes a day, you have to listen to them and do what they want.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Worship of athletes has to be the most fluid thing in their repertoire, given most of them love football until the players get uppity.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I remember a forensic ballistics thing saying that shots to the groin area usually aren't accidents and often indicate a personal revenge or sexual inferiority motivation, so why are people with rubber bullets shooting people for psychosexual reasons on account of their gender again?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Here’s me getting mad at things I don’t personally like and does not effect me one bit. I’m a “normal” person.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Keeshhound posted:

There's a bunch of nerve endings and blood vessels in the groin; it'll gently caress you up regardless of what you've got down there.

Debate & Discussion › Boomer Memes: There's a bunch of nerve endings and blood vessels in the groin; it'll gently caress you up regardless of what you've got down there.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Bloodnose posted:

Does it not hurt to get shot in the vulva? Ladies, help me out here?

Fallout taught me it's the optimal place to shoot anyone regardless of sex.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Good morning sirs, Total Arab Death

sirs, do not be mean

jojoinnit posted:

Eh, God Save the Queen still includes the line "and rebellious Scots to crush!"

The Dutch anthem is still super mad at the old Spanish king. All anthems are stupid pretty much.

as well it should

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Bloodnose posted:

Does it not hurt to get shot in the vulva? Ladies, help me out here?

The armored carapace protects against most small arms fire.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

It's a shame it goes down every 20 seconds or after the combo attack

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

quote:

Why Carry a Gun?

My old Grandpa said to me, 'Son, there comes a time in every man's life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take a whoopin'.'

I don't carry a gun to kill people; I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil; I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the World.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government; I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry; I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone; I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man; I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate; I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it; I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police protection is an oxymoron: Free citizens must protect themselves because police do not protect you from crime; they just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a whoopin'!
-----------------------

A LITTLE GUN HISTORY

PLEASE DON'T THINK FOR A MOMENT, THAT THIS COULDN'T HAPPEN IN OUR COUNTRY ALSO !!!!!!

In 1911, Turkey established gun control:

· From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
-----------------------

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control:

· From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
-----------------------

In 1938 Germany established gun control:

. From 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.
-----------------------

China established gun control in 1935:

. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
-----------------------

Cambodia established gun control in 1956:

. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
-----------------------

Guatemala established gun control in 1964:

· From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
-----------------------

Uganda established gun control in 1970:

· From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
-----------------------

56 million defenseless people were rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control.
-----------------------

You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.

*Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect ONLY the law-abiding citizens.

With guns, we are 'citizens'; without them, we are 'subjects'.

During WW II, the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!

Gun owners in the USA are the largest armed forces in the World!
If you value your freedom, please spread this anti-gun control message to all of your friends.

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense.

The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.

· SWITZERLAND ISSUES A GUN TO EVERY HOUSEHOLD! SWITZERLAND'S GOVERNMENT ISSUES AND TRAINS EVERY ADULT IN THE USE OF A RIFLE.

· SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!

· IT'S A NO BRAINER! DON'T LET OUR GOVERNMENT WASTE MILLIONS OF OUR TAX DOLLARS IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE ALL LAW-ABIDING CITIZENS AN EASY TARGET.

· I'm a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment! If you are too, please forward this. If you're not a believer, please reconsider the true facts. This is history; and if we do not want history to repeat itself, we must wake up.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Ron Jeremy posted:

"I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man; I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate; I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate."

"I don't carry a gun to feel like a man, I carry a gun to feel like a man."

"I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate, I carry a gun because I AM inadequate. Checkmate Libtards."

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ron Jeremy posted:

During WW II, the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!

love this every time i see it lol

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

quote:

i carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

...is even better when you know what happened to Ol’ Billy Burrough’s wife.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
China got invaded by Japan because nobody involved in the massive Chinese Civil War going on at the time had any guns whatsoever yup

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ron Jeremy posted:

That highball glass was threatening him.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

jojoinnit posted:

I once got yelled at by an old lady for remarking it felt a bit fascistic to make a stadium full of people stand and sing to/salute the state during a baseball game. I'm not American and hadn't been to a lot of sports games period and it just felt weird. This was during the seventh inning at Fenway, and no not during Sweet Caroline. It was either America the Beautiful or the Pledge. Maybe it was a special day I was unaware of?

My parents freaked out at me when I happened to mention I felt a bit uneasy having children indoctrinated to do the pledge every single morning before they even know what half the words mean. That's unAmerican, apparently. They straight up did the 'if you don't like it then leave!!!!111' bullshit.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

"SWITZERLAND'S GOVERNMENT ISSUES AND TRAINS EVERY ADULT IN THE USE OF A RIFLE."

So... can we do that? Make people get trained in the use of guns and take them away if they misuse them?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ron Jeremy posted:

Just to spare my fellow sloths the effort of figuring out that is William S. Burroughs and sharing this tidbit:

quote:

Burroughs killed his second wife, Joan Vollmer, in 1951 in Mexico City. Burroughs initially claimed that he shot Vollmer while drunkenly attempting a "William Tell" stunt. He later told investigators a different story: that he had been showing his pistol to friends, when it fell and hit the table, firing the bullet that killed Vollmer.
Definitely sounds like the sort of dude you should listen to about guns, glad that he had it to... avoid being killed? Hmm.

Also, definitely not a crazy person:

quote:

Burroughs also actively practiced magic in his everyday life: seeking out mystical visions through practices like scrying, taking measures to protect himself from possession, and attempting to lay curses on those who had crossed him. Burroughs spoke openly about his magical practices, and his engagement with the occult is attested from a multitude of interviews, as well as personal accounts from those who knew him.

Biographer Ted Morgan has argued that: "As the single most important thing about Graham Greene was his viewpoint as a lapsed Catholic, the single most important thing about Burroughs was his belief in the magical universe. The same impulse that led him to put out curses was, as he saw it, the source of his writing ... To Burroughs behind everyday reality there was the reality of the spirit world, of psychic visitations, of curses, of possession and phantom beings."

Who needs a gun when you can just use your occult knowledge to lay curses on your enemies?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

quote:

In 1938 Germany established gun control:

. From 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

It's weird how passing gun control in Germany meant that Jews in Poland couldn't defend themselves

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Jurgan posted:

"SWITZERLAND'S GOVERNMENT ISSUES AND TRAINS EVERY ADULT IN THE USE OF A RIFLE."

So... can we do that? Make people get trained in the use of guns and take them away if they misuse them?
The stated basis of the 2nd Amendment is that "A well regulated Militia [is] necessary to the security of a free State", so why not require all wannabe gun-owners be members of the militia in good standing? Because immediately after passing such a law, being black/brown or voting for a Democrat would be made a crime, and beating your wife would be ignored.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
The purpose of the militia is to prevent the standing federal army from oppressing the states. The federal army is supposed to protect the country from invasion. Debates leading to the verbiage in the Constitution are well documented --- yes, you don't need a computer to store a good historical record! --- including those around the purposes of personal ownership of arms.

Individual gun ownership is currently interpreted as being unconnected to militia service: 2008 Supreme Court.

Gun ownership is not mandated, though for a while you could certainly be drafted to military service. :shrug:

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

It's a waste of time to argue that the 2nd amendment as intended can work in unison with the sort of gun regulation a modern society needs. It can't.

The second amendment should be ignored and be violated at every opportunity.

But, but, but slippery slope, republicans, first amendment, constitution :911:

Yeah the government is already violating the rest of the constitution as it will.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Ron Jeremy posted:

I don't carry a gun to kill people; I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil; I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the World.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government; I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry; I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone; I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man; I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate; I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it; I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

\

Please tell me I'm not the only one who pictured this.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Eschenique posted:

It's a waste of time to argue that the 2nd amendment as intended can work in unison with the sort of gun regulation a modern society needs. It can't.

The second amendment should be ignored and be violated at every opportunity.

But, but, but slippery slope, republicans, first amendment, constitution :911:

Yeah the government is already violating the rest of the constitution as it will.

The role of the 2nd amendment as imagined by the founders is pretty much completely encompassed by the National Guard. The whole point is to prevent the federal government oppressing the states by explicitly permitting the states to form their own militia so they would have an independent force under their control to counter the power of any federal army. The militia was never 'random dudes with their own guns doing whatever', it was always a force raised by local authorities under their control and organization - the NG actually dates their creation to the first militia raised in Massachusetts in 1636.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Ambitious Spider posted:

Being from the philly burbs I've seen a lot of pro-cop stuff since the shooting, but this is particularly egregious

It’s “blessed are the peaceMAKERS”, not “blessed are the peaceLOVERS.” :smug:

I think Teddy Roosevelt literally said this once.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Ashcans posted:

The role of the 2nd amendment as imagined by the founders is pretty much completely encompassed by the National Guard. The whole point is to prevent the federal government oppressing the states by explicitly permitting the states to form their own militia so they would have an independent force under their control to counter the power of any federal army. The militia was never 'random dudes with their own guns doing whatever', it was always a force raised by local authorities under their control and organization - the NG actually dates their creation to the first militia raised in Massachusetts in 1636.

Also there is an argument to be made that it was also a component of genocide against indigenous nations via frontierism and using private citizens as a kind of first wave.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

LunarShadow posted:

Also there is an argument to be made that it was also a component of genocide against indigenous nations via frontierism and using private citizens as a kind of first wave.

I've heard that the fear of a slave uprising also factored into it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Ashcans posted:

From what I've read (and I'm not an expert by any means), I think it's less that they envisioned the militias fighting off a federal army, and more that as long as militias existed there'd never be a need for a peacetime army. There's very little chance one of those early presidents could have gotten an army that was loyal enough to attack the states on the president's orders, but there was already the fear of European powers invading. In a crisis, people might demand the government take drastic but short-sighted action. The founders were worried that some president might try to raise an army just in case we got invaded, and then you'd have a bunch of soldiers getting paid to just sort of stand around with nothing to do, so they'd inevitably start abusing the population. By keeping state level militias ready, you could call them up in an emergency, but the militia members would all be normal citizens who would be working normal jobs or farming during peacetime. It ties in with the third amendment, which limits the power of the army just in case we ever did have to temporarily form one. Of course, now we do have a standing army (and several other military branches), so that original purpose is moot. Thus, the right invented an entirely new purpose through selectively mining quotes from the founders.

(Also, yeah, probably some slave-hunting and Indian-killing stuff tied in with it as well.)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

ponzicar posted:

I've heard that the fear of a slave uprising also factored into it.

"Well-regulated militia" meant widely different things based on who one was talking to about the matter.

First, national defense/strategic deterrent force with various ideological trimmings. Implicit in this is the intention to function as a deterrent against both foriegn and potentially domestic armies, as discussed here. That latter part turned out to be not so successful during the Whiskey Rebellion.

Then you have the freebooters, white folks without property or family money coming to them who would band together to wipe out Natives, clear and then farm the land which was Not Being Used. Did a bunch of hick teenagers just murder peaceful folks to take their land and wealth?! Naaaah, that was a company from the North Carolina State Militia, reacting to provocations from the dastardly Natives! Send a courier out to the new mayor with his commission as a captain as soon as possible, yeah?

Finally, it gives a difficult-to-limit right for private landholders to own extensive small arms and even light artillery and other war materiel, all of which is absolutely VITAL to maintaining the Fugitive Slave Patrol. This led directly to the sometimes-comical-sounding fact that every planter and land holder in the south styled themselves a Colonel; in fact they did hold militia commissions due to the fact that they were in command of their own local branch of the Slave Patrol. Fun fact: county sheriffs descent pretty directly from the Patrol, and when someone mentions "our Anglo-Saxon traditions of law enforcement" like some suited corpse or another did back in 2017, they are talking about the Patrol and its ideological successors, the sheriffs.

It is also a significant contributing factor to why Southern militia formations were so loving unreliable in the field during the War of 1812 and the Civil War, as well as during any nameless brushfire conflict where they were expected to stand their ground under fire; what little training and experience the individual soldiers had received was geared entirely around terrorizing a captive population, not developing the mindsets and camaraderie which were required to stand in one place reloading while all of your childhood friends are mangled into disgusting masses all around you.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Could god himself make an analogy more pointless than this one? I’d like to see him try.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Turns out the 500 people are mostly fleeing from a bunch of gunmen outside the park. They'd probably be willing to buy a ticket but there's no legal mechanism allowing them do so. Also the park quite happily has them picking up trash and cleaning up poo poo, paying them less than minimum wage, denying local teenagers the crappy job opportunities, but park management never seems to get in legal trouble for this despite the revolving door of "rollercoaster riders." They don't actually ride the rollercoasters, but someone in line saw a brown person in front of them (who probably bought a FastPass) and started the rumor.

But yeah, it's a shame. So the US government has actually started just holding them in cages off in a corner. Sorry, what was your analogy again?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
If you don't have to wait two hours to get on the roller coaster why are you? Who is making you? Maybe they're the ones who are wrong?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

InsertPotPun posted:

If you don't have to wait two hours to get on the roller coaster why are you? Who is making you? Maybe they're the ones who are wrong?

Aren't citizens actually just born on the roller coaster?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Kind of weird that legal immigrants will wait years and pay thousands of dollars when the illegal way is such a breeze. Wonder why that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Brawnfire posted:

Aren't citizens actually just born on the roller coaster?

Sounds like my kinda roller coaster :dadjoke: