Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, that's exactly why I was having a hard time coming up with the right word to describe it. But he doesn't seem like a drunkard cop, he seems like a drunkard criminal. And his face is too animated. He's too comic.

Well if you wanted to be at all faithful to the source, you'd not pick him for a character called old stoneface. But they're not so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Holy loving poo poo. What on earth is happening to England?

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Remora posted:

Holy loving poo poo. What on earth is happening to England?

Don't blame us for BBC America's sins.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Well that's obviously an absolutely godawful discworld adaptation, but it might hit "get drunk with my friends and laugh at how bad this is". Silver linings.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Honestly, if I was completely unfamiliar with DW I'd probably give it a shot for some trashy fantasy fun. Maybe I can be strong and turn off that part of my brain and enjoy it...
who am I kidding, I'm just going to end up hate-watching it

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I have so much poo poo to love-watch that I can't comprehend the concept of having time to hate-watch.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: If Sybil is ball due to being an Aristocrat (i.e. some congenital VD) that's a point for them, though.

It's established that she wears a wig because dragons are bad for real hair, but they could absolutely come up with a stupider reason.

They're definitely trying something, but whatever it is, it feels like they're trying way too hard at it. Cop Jack Sparrow over here.

Edit: oh god wendell pierce as death is a fantastic performance that's exactly wrong.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

El Fideo posted:

It's established that she wears a wig because dragons are bad for real hair

Huh, I'd forgotten about that. It's only been like two years since I read them all again.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Even if I was coming into this without knowledge of the books it still looks terrible. The dialogue is terrible. The characters look terrible. The scenery looks ok though.

If the exchange between the patrician and Vimes was mean to be a witty high point then the rest of the script is likely to be just as awkward and disappointing.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Vimes just coming out and saying that out loud is 100% absolutely the writers missing the entire Vimes/Patrician relationship and vibe, as is the finger. Vimes rages about Vetinari when and where he thinks Vetinari isn't looking, and in front of Vetinari, he doesn't even make eye contact, let alone speak more than absolutely necessary.

"I don't know. What do you think?" is, unfortunately, a killer Patrician line.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Holy poo poo this looks like garbage.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Remora posted:

There's a few bits of casting I thought were quite good, and Anna Chancellor as Vetinari was certainly one of them.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good line but I thought the delivery was poo poo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BurgerQuest posted:

Good line but I thought the delivery was poo poo.

It was basically delivered wrong. Makes it look like the actor didn't understand it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

:lmao: that looks terrible.

It looks like Tank Girl.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Death looks like a Ringwraith walked into the wrong set. Why the glowing eyes?

At least this is making The Colour of Magic seem like a stunning adaptation, and it’s the one I dislike the most...

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
Man i'm alone in liking that trailer then. When the first onset photos appeared I was like wtf are they doing but this is clearly still discworld and I can get onboard a post industrial revolution punk interpretation. I'm cautiously optimistic. It cant be worse than the sky adaptations right...right??

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

StrawmanUK posted:

Man i'm alone in liking that trailer then. When the first onset photos appeared I was like wtf are they doing but this is clearly still discworld and I can get onboard a post industrial revolution punk interpretation. I'm cautiously optimistic. It cant be worse than the sky adaptations right...right??

Vimes as a scenery chewing Jack Sparrow light seems worse than anything Sky pumped out to me...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It might be my TV and also my laptop, but the sound mix sounded terrible. I couldn’t hear virtually anyone’s dialogue over the music in the trailer, and then in the scenes, the dialogue all overlapped and was at the same level too. I honestly found it difficult to understand what people were saying. This is definitely one for subtitles.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

StrawmanUK posted:

Yeah I'm ok with it from that trailer

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Iacen posted:

Vimes as a scenery chewing Jack Sparrow light seems worse than anything Sky pumped out to me...

He's is clearly the alchoholic Vimes as we first met him in the books so maybe him becoming sober Vimes will be the character arc for him but I take your point. I will say the clip of them trying to sober him up is not great

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Fuckin Hell

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Bold, casting foul ole ron as samuel vimes.
Dutch angles!
Man, this is going to be a trainwreck.love it.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

StrawmanUK posted:

I actually liked going postal.

This appears to have been designed to alienate the entire existing fanbase and I have no idea how you can see it as clearly still discworld.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Space Butler posted:

This appears to have been designed to alienate the entire existing fanbase and I have no idea how you can see it as clearly still discworld.

The initial on set photos looked like they had completely removed all fantasy elements. From the trailer you can see its a post industrial revolution discworld, its got the fantasy races, DEATH, you can briefly see an aerial shot of ankh morpork and it looks the old city is intact surrounded by urbanisation. I can accept this. Going postal was also my favourite of the sky adaptations btw but I dunno, Terrys wordplay and puns just fell flat when spoken onscreen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Iacen posted:

Death looks like a Ringwraith walked into the wrong set. Why the glowing eyes?

Death has always had a point of glowing blue in his eyes.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Remora posted:

Vimes just coming out and saying that out loud is 100% absolutely the writers missing the entire Vimes/Patrician relationship and vibe, as is the finger. Vimes rages about Vetinari when and where he thinks Vetinari isn't looking, and in front of Vetinari, he doesn't even make eye contact, let alone speak more than absolutely necessary.

Once again, I observe the following, from Guards! Guards!:

quote:

Vimes had been one of the middle rankers, the falsetto equivalent of a yes-man. He remembered Wonse as a
skinny little kid, always tagging along behind in hand-me-down pants with the kind of odd skipping run he'd
invented to keep up with the bigger boys, and forever coming up with fresh ideas to stop them idly ganging up on
him, which was the usual recreation if nothing more interesting presented itself. It was superb training for the
rigours of adulthood, and Wonse became good at it.

Yes, they'd both started in the gutter. But Wonse had worked his way up whereas, as he himself would be the first
to admit, Vimes had merely worked his way along. Every time he seemed to be getting anywhere he spoke his mind,
or said the wrong thing. Usually both at once.

That was what made him uncomfortable around Wonse. It was the ticking of the bright clockwork of ambition.
Vimes had never mastered ambition. It was something that happened to other people.
"Look, Vimes, I'm being very understanding. In the circumstances. Now, I want you to get out there and sort this
out. Do you understand?"
Vimes saluted. The black depression that always lurked ready to take advantage of his sobriety moved in on his
tongue.
"Right you are, Mr Secretary, " he said. "I'll see to it that he learns that arresting thieves is against the law. "
He wished he hadn't said that. If he didn't say things like that he'd have been better off now. Captain of the Palace
Guard, a big man. Giving him the Watch had been the Patrician's little joke.
But Wonse was already reading a new
document on his desk. If he noticed the sarcasm, he didn't show it.

Vimes as we originally meet him is absolutely the sort of person to say what he thinks when he thinks it to the Patrician and his other superiors without a great deal of subtlety. Life doesn't start falling into place for him until after the incident with the dragon gets him into Vetinari's good books, and Sybil's stabilising influence gives him a bit of self-control so he can stay there long enough for Vetinari to fully reflect on how Vimes could be useful to him.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Yeah, the eyes may look awful, but they're canon.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

I dunno, if it wasn’t actually marketed as Discworld I could see myself having a lot of fun with this. I like the style and aesthetics in a vacuum.

I’ll end up watching it anyway. :p

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah no, I think I will pass.

It just reminds me when Terry was trying to get Mort adapted in some ways.

Also, Sybil is too attractive and Vimes is both too young. If you enjoy this good on you, I just can't.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Also why is she apparently keeping slaves chained up?

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
It's so audaciously not-Discworld that my disappointment has warped back around into sincere interest.

The sky adaptions honestly just bored me.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

El Fideo posted:

Yeah, the eyes may look awful, but they're canon.

Well, yes. When they are in a skull. Here they are like a someone 6’5” tried to cosplay as a jawa but couldn’t find yellow eye lights...

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Space Butler posted:

I also enjoyed Going Postal.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Was that Vimes playing a guitar in a band?
Apologies but I had a stroke when I saw that and after waking up couldn't make myself play the trailer again.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Doctor Jeep posted:

Apologies but I had a stroke when I saw that and after waking up couldn't make myself play the trailer again.

God damnit I spent hours repressing that and you just go and tear the bandage away

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Doctor Jeep posted:

Wyld Dragons

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Doctor Jeep posted:

Yeah cos this is a punk rock adaptation of the Watcchggggghhh

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah no, I think I will pass.

It just reminds me when Terry was trying to get Mort adapted in some ways.

Also, Sybil is too attractive and Vimes is both too young. If you enjoy this good on you, I just can't.

This show was obviously going to be bad simply based on the exclusion of Colon and Nobby.
Cause having ugly and/or old people was apparently a no go. Which btw Good Omens had no issues with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alhazred posted:

It looks like Tank Girl.

Well gently caress me lmao.

I just realized the reason Vimes is so wrong is it's American BBC and Americans can't handle characters with a British accent that don't fall 100% into one of the following three categories:

a) cut-out 1st lover
b) cut-out utter loving clown (Vimes here)
2) cut-out brilliant villain to be killed by hero