Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Could you add a timestamp to the load screen? I very seldom know who a randomly generated name is.

Yeah I'm gonna redo the saved game info files so I can have names, times and versions for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C
Congratulations on the ongoing success with Qud, Unormal. Is there any chance that the Steam sales are good enough that you might consider full-time dev, or maybe switch to part-time work? I'm always amazed at how much you can get done while also holding down a job and having a family. Family is already my limit, there; full-time dev is the only way I can finish anything anymore :/

Awesome! posted:

45 minutes to find the bug, squash it and get an update posted. that's pretty impressive
I have a thing against bugs--won't rest until every one I know about is GONE, I tell you. That goes double for the wasp I trapped that night... sucks to discover your electric swatter is out of power when a wasp finds a way in and takes a liking to your monitor :P

Happylisk posted:

Quick note to people who've already purchased cogmind: we're doing weekly seed runs over at the cogmind forums. This week's seed just dropped, so if you have the game why not compete!

http://www.gridsagegames.com/forums/index.php?topic=208.0
These are a great way for new players to discuss what went wrong for you and learn how to consistently get past the early levels. I'm mostly out of commission with family this week, but I'll probably get to my run towards the weekend.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kyzrati posted:

Congratulations on the ongoing success with Qud, Unormal. Is there any chance that the Steam sales are good enough that you might consider full-time dev, or maybe switch to part-time work?

Mm, if the long tail behaves like Sproggiwood, it won't make enough on an ongoing basis to pay for luke and I, though it + Sproggiwood across mobile+PC mighttttt start making enough to sort of support one person; hard to say till the tail really flatlines, which will be a few weeks still.

Really both have been pretty financially not-good in any kind of rational business analysis; neither of them even hit the top slot in roguelikes on Steam during launch, for example whereas even modest successes peg up there on releases for weeks. For example, as a modest success Guild of Dungeoneering has sold something like $300k gross worth in just a couple weeks, which is more than Qud+Sproggiwood might make in a couple years. Real outliers like Darkest Dungeon do 10x what Guild does, and we've done maybe 10-15% of Guild with Qud, launching just a day later, and Qud is doing a *lot* better than Sproggiwood did. So in the ecosystem of commercial products, both Sproggi and Qud are essentially just a single step up from "sold no copies at all". :coffee:

We'll have to make Roguelike Simulator or something next, to actually make some money. :D

Unormal fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 29, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Unormal posted:

We'll have to make Roguelike Simulator or something next, to actually make some money. :D

This'd be like Goat Simulator, I'm guessing? That actually sounds kind of fantastic, if only because you can probably find an excuse to make literally anything explode.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C
Wow, Guild of Dungeoneering did that well in such a short period? Amazing.

Once you get to content releases that stegosaurus tail could materialize for you, where it'll have more of an impact with help from Steam. Almost wish I had that now, but there's still so much to do and Steam EA is a scary place full of distractions I don't need.

In any case, no one makes a traditional roguelike for the money, that's for sure. It's :love:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kyzrati posted:

Once you get to content releases that stegosaurus tail could materialize for you, where it'll have more of an impact with help from Steam. Almost wish I had that now, but there's still so much to do and Steam EA is a scary place full of distractions I don't need.

Managing a steam release is really super easy in the world of releases, their platform is awesome. When you get that far, I'd be happy to help, I've done a couple of them! As long as you don't mind taking advice from a commercial failure. :D

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Unormal posted:

Would this be an IVAN-like? I'd buy it.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Unormal posted:

Managing a steam release is really super easy in the world of releases, their platform is awesome. When you get that far, I'd be happy to help, I've done a couple of them! As long as you don't mind taking advice from a commercial failure. :D
Thanks :D. I imagine the technical/backend side should be fairly straightforward, it's more the community I'd be worried about dealing with. Once you step out of niche-land, all manner of crazies show up. I'm getting better at it over time, and I believe it'll be a nicer transition once there's a big enough established fan base to lean on, which you've been building for ages but I've only got like 4 years of =p

I have seen the Qud Supporters Team in action, and it is a beautiful thing.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
So I went ahead and started to read some Tales of the Dying Earth, because that seemed like a cool thing to do. Holy poo poo, this is some badly written, misogynistic, rapey, trite, wish-fulfillment. It's no wonder Gary Gygax liked it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Did they ever post this here? Full size Qud 'box' art:

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Has anyone played Coin Crypt? It's in the latest Humble Bundle, and having just spent like 4 hours straight into it, I must say that it's an extraordinary roguelike. It has very innovative gameplay mechanics, and the abilities and weapons you use are also your money reserve, and intertwine with the game world in many ways. Basically you use some coins with various abilities during combat, and various coins have various cooldowns. Enemies use the same mechanics as the player, though they use coins at a slightly slower rate, I think. The combat gets very hectic, since it's real time, and thinking time is time you don't get to use on cooldowns. Highly recommended!

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Unormal posted:

Mm, if the long tail behaves like Sproggiwood, it won't make enough on an ongoing basis to pay for luke and I, though it + Sproggiwood across mobile+PC mighttttt start making enough to sort of support one person; hard to say till the tail really flatlines, which will be a few weeks still.

Really both have been pretty financially not-good in any kind of rational business analysis; neither of them even hit the top slot in roguelikes on Steam during launch, for example whereas even modest successes peg up there on releases for weeks. For example, as a modest success Guild of Dungeoneering has sold something like $300k gross worth in just a couple weeks, which is more than Qud+Sproggiwood might make in a couple years. Real outliers like Darkest Dungeon do 10x what Guild does, and we've done maybe 10-15% of Guild with Qud, launching just a day later, and Qud is doing a *lot* better than Sproggiwood did. So in the ecosystem of commercial products, both Sproggi and Qud are essentially just a single step up from "sold no copies at all". :coffee:

This is so loving depressing considering the quality of both games. I wonder if a more extensive marketing/social media push wouldn't have made a huge difference. Ever consider making more of an effort on that front?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Monopthalmus posted:

This is so loving depressing considering the quality of both games. I wonder if a more extensive marketing/social media push wouldn't have made a huge difference. Ever consider making more of an effort on that front?

Sproggiwood was too cute for PC, too not-free for mobile and Caves of Qud is too keyboardy and low-fi for the modern era. The market (at large) just doesn't want them.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Unormal posted:

Sproggiwood was too cute for PC, too not-free for mobile and Caves of Qud is too keyboardy and low-fi for the modern era. The market (at large) just doesn't want them.

The aesthetics of Sproggiwood suit it well to a freemium mobile game, but I have no idea what you'd actually sell. Maybe make gold significantly harder to get and add a freemium option to buy items for real money to speed it up?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

The aesthetics of Sproggiwood suit it well to a freemium mobile game, but I have no idea what you'd actually sell. Maybe make gold significantly harder to get and add a freemium option to buy items for real money to speed it up?

A really bad piece of psychological engineering. We actually had it partly designed, but it was just a horrifying piece of work and we just decided to make a good game and be poor (success!). I kind of want to just make it for real and make a lot of money for real games, handofluke doesn't want too though :D. Things like selling continues, keys to chests, etc.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 29, 2015

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

You only get one launch, I wonder if Qud's EA status is the real detriment? If you wanna define niche, indie EA roguelike centered around a lo-fi aesthetic and post apocalypse might be the perfect example.

Which is a shame, they're cool things.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Unormal posted:

A really bad piece of psychological engineering. We actually had it partly designed, but it was just a horrifying piece of work and we just decided to make a good game and be poor (success!). I kind of want to just make it for real and make a lot of money for real games, handofluke doesn't want too though :D. Things like selling continues, keys to chests, etc.

4/5 ****
crashed on boot up

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Selling out is ok if it gets you mad stacks, imo.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
make a freemium roguelike / dungeon manager kairosoft ripoff.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
A self-parodying freemium addon would be funny. "$100 for the win cube, use it on any character to display a "you win" screen".

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Go free to play mobile and use it to fuel full-time gamesmaking. Make sure you burn all bridges at your current place of employment when you quit for the true indie dev experience.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

^ Twitter meltdown. Gotta have a twitter meltdown.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

andrew smash posted:

make a freemium roguelike / dungeon manager kairosoft ripoff.

wait, even better, make a freemium grimcute permadeath episodic fantascifiypocalypse team manager/base builder.

Oh no, kimmy was bitten by a zombwolf while crafting cyber armor and your scavengers aren't home yet... buy a regenero-pack for $0.99?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
More armor skins, new nanospells, and interpersonal drama on the way in episode 2, only $5.99!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pladdicus posted:

You only get one launch, I wonder if Qud's EA status is the real detriment? If you wanna define niche, indie EA roguelike centered around a lo-fi aesthetic and post apocalypse might be the perfect example.

Which is a shame, they're cool things.

Nah, like half the top roguelikes are or were EA. Darkest Dungeon is EA and has made about 6-8 million bucks.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 29, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
We're getting a little off topic, but a small part of me wants someone to remake Decker as a free-mium game, where you also have to build your own network populated by all sorts of ICE, and the networks that you do ShadowRuns on are other user-designed networks.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yea i dont think ea really matters to sales. ark is an ea survival thing (but with dinosaurs this time!) and it was the top seller all throughout the summer sale with just a token discount

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Does Sproggiwood play well on an iphone? I've been eyeing it for a while but I wasn't sure how the UI works on such a small screen.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Arcturas posted:

Does Sproggiwood play well on an iphone? I've been eyeing it for a while but I wasn't sure how the UI works on such a small screen.

It's got a fully responsive UI with a small-screen mode, it plays really nicely imo.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

We're getting a little off topic, but a small part of me wants someone to remake Decker as a free-mium game, where you also have to build your own network populated by all sorts of ICE, and the networks that you do ShadowRuns on are other user-designed networks.

Do it do it do it.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Qud isn't post apocalyptic because you don't fight crazy survivalists who carry precious metals and canned beans

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

amuayse posted:

Qud isn't post apocalyptic because you don't fight crazy survivalists who carry precious metals and canned beans

Scrap-clad hermits who try to club you to death with a silver nugget and raw bear meat beg to differ.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

That better?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Add location?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

That better?

Put wall time on there.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

How do you cook raw meat in Qud? I know I've seen jerky being sold but I haven't found a way to turn raw into anything.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Internet Friend posted:

How do you cook raw meat in Qud? I know I've seen jerky being sold but I haven't found a way to turn raw into anything.

Just eat the raw meat! Food poisoning is AFAICT not a thing, and meat does not go bad.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Not time spent playing, an actual time/date stamp. Honestly, you can boot the guid for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Benly posted:

Scrap-clad hermits who try to club you to death with a silver nugget and raw bear meat beg to differ.

Well Qud doesn't have Bitcoin so it can't be in the future

Internet Friend posted:

You get jerky with master butchery