Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Yeah it was Navezgane.

I gotta stop using that map though, every time I restart it's 2.5km from the first trading post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Actually I just looked it up on the wiki and while that isn’t necessarily the most up to date place it specifically mentions zombie bears as spawning in the burnt forest.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I think my biggest issue in the harder difficulties is how little I can do at night. Glowy eyes sprinters are no joke. Just huddling by a fire, in a basement, passing the time while IRL phone browsing and waiting for dawn.

I don't know why I'm doing this to myself.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
The intended thing is for you to take care of crafting and building during the night, but yeah if you're on higher difficulty the chance of attracting attention is usually too great.

I think those difficulties are only really doable if you have friends to sacrifice. Remember you don't have to be the fastest, only faster than the slowest person.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t think I will ever go above Warrior. Starts feeling to much like 1 small mistake will be the end of you.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
On single player at 100% loot, I have finally reached crucible crafting level with only 1 point in workstations, lvl 46 (xp/100%).
And still have 130 steel left over from before.
After choosing steel as a reward a few times (maybe 3x at 25 per) and through wrenching buttloads of stuff and building a bunch of mods and a motorcycle.
So maybe its not so bad having it gated at 75 books.
Might be a little tighter on Multi, but I have seen steel as a reward quite a few times.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 1, 2023

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003

sure okay posted:

i vote yes

Done deal.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Man, stabbing/shooting zombies through a partially broken door is such a pro strat. Even if the door doesn't last long against them, it'll give you enough time to get a few good hits in before retreating further. Especially great when you open a door and trigger a room. Just close the door again and wait for them to break a hole.

zeroskippy
Apr 10, 2016
It has made the double barrel shotgun a lot more viable early game. A when a lot of door break the first hole is right at head height.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Godlessdonut posted:

Man, stabbing/shooting zombies through a partially broken door is such a pro strat. Even if the door doesn't last long against them, it'll give you enough time to get a few good hits in before retreating further. Especially great when you open a door and trigger a room. Just close the door again and wait for them to break a hole.

Just enough time to throw a grenade and let it cook before they fully break through

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Drakenel posted:

The intended thing is for you to take care of crafting and building during the night, but yeah if you're on higher difficulty the chance of attracting attention is usually too great.

I think those difficulties are only really doable if you have friends to sacrifice. Remember you don't have to be the fastest, only faster than the slowest person.

yeah the attention mechanic is something I don't really get. Seems like even if Im crafting in a basement or third floor of a building, I'm still attracting curious zombies.

Am I supposed to be doing some kind of sound or light proofing? Extend a fence?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Oysters Autobio posted:

yeah the attention mechanic is something I don't really get. Seems like even if Im crafting in a basement or third floor of a building, I'm still attracting curious zombies.

Am I supposed to be doing some kind of sound or light proofing? Extend a fence?

Thats the heat mechanic, everything you do generates 'Heat' attracting local zombies and once you pass a certain thresh hold, a screamer.
For instance, mining.
You can generate less heat by ducking when you mine.

Heres is a good video that goes over it.

edit: actually this may be a better video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=883I29QcPQM

But yeah, it is useful to surround your base with a 2-3 high stone or higher density wall and some spikes to keep them out.
On the flip side you can create a pseudo horde night by setting up a base in the wasteland and having multiple forges going and cover it in burning barrels and torches.
Screamer city.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Wait what the hell, there's Tier 6 quests? I thought it stopped at 5.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

T5 infested.

Also, last night I found a Jeffelon Zuckergates estate, T4 I think or 5.
Havent tried it yet.

e: I have had such bad luck with getting overwhelmed in Infested missions.
I'm pretty sure I havent died this much on a single playthrough since like 2019

OgNar fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 4, 2023

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Tier 6 quests are Tier 5 quests (same locations) but harder. More zombies and higher tier zombies for your game stage (unless you’re maxed out) plus a big fancy chest at the end (it won’t even be locked!). Same with any other “infestation” quest, a tier 3 infestation quest will send you to a tier 2 location.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kibayasu posted:

Tier 6 quests are Tier 5 quests (same locations) but harder. More zombies and higher tier zombies for your game stage (unless you’re maxed out) plus a big fancy chest at the end (it won’t even be locked!). Same with any other “infestation” quest, a tier 3 infestation quest will send you to a tier 2 location.
Yeah, I'd just assumed T5 was the highest and Infestations were of the same tier but could use POIs of a single tier lower. Showing up at Higashi Tower and reading "Tier 6 Infestation" had me worried.
Didn't die but the finale is insanity, not sure how you can take these on tactically beyond building a little defensive base just before the last stand.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, I'd just assumed T5 was the highest and Infestations were of the same tier but could use POIs of a single tier lower. Showing up at Higashi Tower and reading "Tier 6 Infestation" had me worried.
Didn't die but the finale is insanity, not sure how you can take these on tactically beyond building a little defensive base just before the last stand.

lol I literally just did that one and was down to less than 20hp when it was over. I tried to find a place to retreat to and ended up cornered.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I'm pretty sure POI difficulty can actually go up to at least Tier 7, due to the biome bonus, and maybe higher when combined with Infested.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm pretty sure POI difficulty can actually go up to at least Tier 7, due to the biome bonus, and maybe higher when combined with Infested.
Yeah, orange skulls are technically separate from red despite being displayed on the same graphic and I think even have a stronger effect on the actual gamestage + lootstage you'll encounter inside.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Still not finding any compelling reasons to "upgrade" from a20 to a21.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So my server took over a police station that already had a wall. I've installed a steel hatch on one side and encased all the exterior concrete walls in a second layer of concrete but zombies still partially beat on the walls instead of going to the hatch. How do I get them to only go to the hatch, if that's possible?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

there's hundreds of new POIs, that's the main appeal of the game :shrug:

you can mod around the less cool changes

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

It's hard to know exactly what's going wrong but zombies will often beat on structures near them when their pathing resets. A common example is zombies who fall will sometimes beat on the wall they fell off for a bit but it also seems to happen if they're bumping into eachother. If you've got a bunch of zombies piling up against a wall they're likely to put some hits into it. I'm not sure how you fix that particular problem with a wall on the ground if that is your problem, the usual fix is to move the walls away from where zombies are likely to be. Maybe a moat?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Phigs posted:

It's hard to know exactly what's going wrong but zombies will often beat on structures near them when their pathing resets. A common example is zombies who fall will sometimes beat on the wall they fell off for a bit but it also seems to happen if they're bumping into eachother. If you've got a bunch of zombies piling up against a wall they're likely to put some hits into it. I'm not sure how you fix that particular problem with a wall on the ground if that is your problem, the usual fix is to move the walls away from where zombies are likely to be. Maybe a moat?

Because it’s so easy to create a pile up of zombies on a thin block any zombies which take fall damage will always start attacking the nearest and weakest player block.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So my server took over a police station that already had a wall. I've installed a steel hatch on one side and encased all the exterior concrete walls in a second layer of concrete but zombies still partially beat on the walls instead of going to the hatch. How do I get them to only go to the hatch, if that's possible?

Is this during a blood moon or just random wandering zombies? Wandering zombies are more likely to go for a door if one is on the direct path to you/a source of Heat but if they don’t see one they’ll just beat on whatever is in front of them. If it’s during a blood moon then your steel hatch might have “outclassed” your concrete walls in the zombie brains. Steel hatches are pretty tough and the zombies might now see that it would be quicker to get through the concrete walls instead of the hatch.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Because it’s so easy to create a pile up of zombies on a thin block any zombies which take fall damage will always start attacking the nearest and weakest player block.

Is this during a blood moon or just random wandering zombies? Wandering zombies are more likely to go for a door if one is on the direct path to you/a source of Heat but if they don’t see one they’ll just beat on whatever is in front of them. If it’s during a blood moon then your steel hatch might have “outclassed” your concrete walls in the zombie brains. Steel hatches are pretty tough and the zombies might now see that it would be quicker to get through the concrete walls instead of the hatch.

Just regular zombies. We're running the wandering hordes mod and the police station is right inside a wasteland or whatever biome so we've got a lot of zombies that show up. I guess a moat would help but in previous maps I've seen them just start attacking the ground instead.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kibayasu posted:

To expand on that last bit, zombies see doors as having less HP than they actually have for the purposes of pathfinding. That makes zombies preferentially break down doors, but if you've got a steel door on a wooden building, they'll just break the walls down instead.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Maybe I should downgrade to an iron hatch then, until we have steel walls.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

girl dick energy posted:

Yeah, aside from the improved worldgen and POIs, the changes are kinda wacky - water and skills in particular.

They should take inspiration from Project Zomboid for both mechanics. Zomboid has a great implementation of safe/unsafe water and a skill system that, whilst not perfect, is miles better than the RNG-hell magazine loot system A21 has.

That said, the new POIs really are rather good, and clobbering zombos with stun batons is very entertaining.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Maybe I should downgrade to an iron hatch then, until we have steel walls.

That probably won't change much with wandering hordes and zombies. If they're on one side of a building won't walk all the way around to hit a hatch they'll just hit the wall in front of them. Same behavior as zombies who are beating on the walls of a POI you're inside even though you left the door open. You could put doors in the walls they're attacking but all that will do is concentrate the damage onto the door more often than the walls.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Imo, the skill system in A21 makes scavenging playstyle essential since you need those books to skill up, so you can’t just sit in your base for hours anymore.

You have to engage the trader or poi to progress, which is great with less boring stream of people spending hours building their box house.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The part of me that wants to overdesign things thinks the crafting magazines could be more complicated and still good but that ties into my strange desire to force/encourage a player to interact with the desert/snow/wasteland biomes more often outside of a vague feeling of "better loot" (which stops mattering pretty quickly if you're doing trader quests). But something like that would probably need a redesign of a lot of things and I don't need TFP doing that more often.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Now that I am a fairly high level in my single player and have maxed out stuff like vehicles, clubs, shotguns etc.
Basically maxed everything i've put points into.
I've noticed that while I still get read books from the sets like needle/thread, lucky looter and the like, but the only skill books I see are ones I havent put points into.
Like knuckles, sledges and pistols.
So the game isnt really 'wasting' skill books and only giving me stuff I dont have.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Zombies also don't have very complex pathfinding, so if they spawn in on the opposite side of the station they might just try to go through it by brute force rather than pathing around. If however they're on the right side and are attacking walls right next to the door then yeah, could be a big block HP discrepancy. But concrete vs steel doors should be within tolerance levels, I think?

OgNar posted:

Now that I am a fairly high level in my single player and have maxed out stuff like vehicles, clubs, shotguns etc.
Basically maxed everything i've put points into.
I've noticed that while I still get read books from the sets like needle/thread, lucky looter and the like, but the only skill books I see are ones I havent put points into.
Like knuckles, sledges and pistols.
So the game isnt really 'wasting' skill books and only giving me stuff I dont have.
The way I understand it is that first the game rolls whether or not a magazine is even present in the loot. Then it figures out what magazine it should be, based on your skills. If you have, for example, sledgehammers, you're more likely to get a sledgehammer crafting book. But then once you max out sledgehammer crafting, that then gets put very low on the roll priority. There's exceptions to this, obviously, like kitchen drawers will only ever have cooking magazines so even if you're maxed out they can't roll anything else, but generally I find the game is pretty good at prioritizing (and subsequently not wasting) magazine loot.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Having just slogged through it, the County Jail might be the worst POI in the game. Poor direction and layout, generally boring, completely over the top enemy density even compared to other T5 POIs. The finale literally drops you through the ceiling into the very center of a huge room and then enemies pour in from all sides, including something like 20+ non-randomized wights from the surrounding cells. As soon as I dropped down I pillared back out and let them break out doors into the surrounding jail so I didn't have to face them all at once. The worst part of it all is that at various points, dozens of enemies will spawn out of thin air. The game already has a monster closet problem but when you first step into the building, like 16 zombies spawn right outside and run in.

The only saving grace is that about half these groups are bugged out and don't trigger properly, so they'll just stand there motionless and nonresponsive until you kill them, thus reducing the overall enemy density.

Never go to the county jail, it's trash.

E: Important! If you quit during a singleplayer game while in the middle of a mission, the mission resets and next time you play you have to re-activate the big exclamation mark, which completely resets the POI. So for instance, if it's a fetch+clear mission, even if you've cleared the finale and looted all the chests, if you didn't yet pick up the courier satchel and quit, when next you load in you'll have to do the entire POI over again. You could probably exploit this if it's a POI with tons of books or something, just repeatedly clear, say, the book filled entrance of a Crack a Book Cafe, but in practice it's mostly a pain in the rear end.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 5, 2023

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Vib Rib posted:

E: Important! If you quit during a singleplayer game while in the middle of a mission, the mission resets and next time you play you have to re-activate the big exclamation mark, which completely resets the POI. So for instance, if it's a fetch+clear mission, even if you've cleared the finale and looted all the chests, if you didn't yet pick up the courier satchel and quit, when next you load in you'll have to do the entire POI over again. You could probably exploit this if it's a POI with tons of books or something, just repeatedly clear, say, the book filled entrance of a Crack a Book Cafe, but in practice it's mostly a pain in the rear end.
This also happens if the game crashes during a single-player mission. Which, surprise, happens a lot.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Does the blood moon horde still reset if you quit before morning breaks?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kibayasu posted:

Does the blood moon horde still reset if you quit before morning breaks?
Yep. Just happened to me yesterday.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Vib Rib posted:

Having just slogged through it, the County Jail might be the worst POI in the game. Poor direction and layout, generally boring, completely over the top enemy density even compared to other T5 POIs. The finale literally drops you through the ceiling into the very center of a huge room and then enemies pour in from all sides, including something like 20+ non-randomized wights from the surrounding cells. As soon as I dropped down I pillared back out and let them break out doors into the surrounding jail so I didn't have to face them all at once. The worst part of it all is that at various points, dozens of enemies will spawn out of thin air. The game already has a monster closet problem but when you first step into the building, like 16 zombies spawn right outside and run in.

The only saving grace is that about half these groups are bugged out and don't trigger properly, so they'll just stand there motionless and nonresponsive until you kill them, thus reducing the overall enemy density.

Never go to the county jail, it's trash.

The enemies popping in thing is intentional with POIs. There are triggers that spawn in zombies into the next area so that you don't fire a gun in the first room and wake up the entire POI at once to run you down. Usually the POIs are designed so that you don't see the pop-in though - it'll be something like they spawn in as you walk around a corner or as you approach a closed door. It also helps significantly with performance in the giant T5 POIs to not have hundreds of zombies spawn immediately and melt your computer.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Dirk the Average posted:

The enemies popping in thing is intentional with POIs. There are triggers that spawn in zombies into the next area so that you don't fire a gun in the first room and wake up the entire POI at once to run you down. Usually the POIs are designed so that you don't see the pop-in though - it'll be something like they spawn in as you walk around a corner or as you approach a closed door. It also helps significantly with performance in the giant T5 POIs to not have hundreds of zombies spawn immediately and melt your computer.
I don't think I properly explained the point of the complaint. These are enemies spawning in behind you, in places you've already been. If enemies spawn out of thin air in a location ahead of me, I generally wouldn't know it, and I agree, that's fine. But this is walking into the building and then a horde of zombies pop in on the front step where I just was 2 seconds ago.
Also many of these groups didn't even activate and just stood in place, you can literally jump on their heads and they won't react. Very buggy POI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah the spawn-from-thin-air trigger gimmick is extremely lame, not a fan of that any more than I am of the Bloodmoon see-through-stealth gimmick.