Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bernardo Orel posted:

Nah, he just needs more booze.

Same difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Bernardo Orel posted:

Nah, he just needs more booze.

You say that about everyone!

Granted, you're not wrong.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Bufuman posted:

You say that about everyone!

Granted, you're not wrong.

I'd prefer if there was a way for him to keep making games and not die from his liver damage though.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I liked this bit from the interview:

Yoko Taro posted:

You've had some really unique and wild ideas. Have you ever pitched anything that a team has said is too much?

In Drakengard 1, obviously you may know at the end of the game you come down into Shinjuku and then there's a rhythm-game which is the final part of the game. My original proposal for that was something that the team shot down straight away. The idea was you had a giant Ayumi Hamasaki, a Japanese pop idol, come down from the sky and then you had a singing contest with her to decide the fate of the universe. And they said, "No, we can't do that," and that was shot down. A pop idol in America who's the equivalent of Ayumi Hamasaki... so basically, it'd be something like Britney Spears coming down and you being like, “Oh hey, Britney! Let’s fight!” That's the kind of thing that would have been.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Yoko Taro is a goddamn treasure. Japan, please keep pumping alcohol and money into this man so he can continue to alchemize it into madness and depression. And games too, I guess..

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

...! posted:

I liked this bit from the interview:

Yoko Taro posted:

You've had some really unique and wild ideas. Have you ever pitched anything that a team has said is too much?

In Drakengard 1, obviously you may know at the end of the game you come down into Shinjuku and then there's a rhythm-game which is the final part of the game. My original proposal for that was something that the team shot down straight away. The idea was you had a giant Ayumi Hamasaki, a Japanese pop idol, come down from the sky and then you had a singing contest with her to decide the fate of the universe. And they said, "No, we can't do that," and that was shot down. A pop idol in America who's the equivalent of Ayumi Hamasaki... so basically, it'd be something like Britney Spears coming down and you being like, “Oh hey, Britney! Let’s fight!” That's the kind of thing that would have been.

And they still left the basic idea in, they just nixed the name brand idol. Probably because it would cost money.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Hah. And then he went and made a game about one pop idol's quest to murder her five sisters.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Yoko Taro posted:

Is life worth living?

I mean, I'm quite interested in what happens to you after you die, so that's an interesting one. But I guess that's something you'll only find out if you die in the first place, so for now I'm okay with that. I think I'll try and give it my best shot at what I've got for this life in the moment. Certainly, when I'm playing video games, all of the sudden (I) get annoyed at how (I'm) doing and (I) reset the game straight away. I don't think I'm quite ready to do that with real life yet, though. I think I'll try and put in a bit more effort on this ending. The one thing I really want you to put in this article though is that, watch out children, because you're not going to learn anything about life or philosophy from a drunk, 47-year-old weirdo. I think everyone's got their own serious debates and wonders about it in their own head, so there's nothing they can really get from me about this.

quote:

It is not something grand like pride or self-respect. I think that it’s just that I get bored really easily, and I end up wanting to search for unpredictability when I’m playing and creating a game. However, creating something unexpected is not unexpected anymore, so I might actually create something super orthodox next time.

quote:

And this doesn't really have much to do with the question, but I do want to try creating a pinball or a vertical scrolling shooter game. Well, this is simply because I like those types of games.

...! fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 27, 2017

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

God, I wish I could read that article. Thanks for the quotes!

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Episode CXXI: Intel and Inventory

After that series of unfortunate events, we’re dumped back on the character select screen. We’re now done with A2’s segment of the game (not that we’re done playing as her yet) so we now need to wrap up 9S’s path.

If you were wondering why Pod-153 said she didn’t know anything about A2’s whereabouts why clearly in contact with Pod-042, it’s because it was outright lying and the Pods a trying to avoid the two parties from interacting as long as possible. Nobody ever said Pods weren’t allowed to lie.

Proposal: Commence data overhaul immediately.
Pod, search for the other structural units. I need to find those authorization keys and destroy the Tower.
Alert: Combat inadvisable during abnormal vital conditions.
It’s fine. Run the search.
Scanning. Actively operating enemy large structural unit detected in accessible location. Marking location on map.

Music: Rays of Light

Our new objective is the Resource Unit we briefly saw back in the Flooded City. Going there will lead to the conclusion of this chapter, which is a cut-off point for the last batch of sidequests.

Since we’re already in the Forest Zone, we’re going to go check out a sidequest that has been hanging in 9S’s exclusivity window since we first got the option to pick characters in Route C.

This involves a trek over to the top floor of the Forest Kingdom Castle. As we approach the area, we happen to receive an email correspondence. This better not be Emil giving fishing tips again...

It’s that android on the moon keeping up the lie that there’s definitely still humans up here, ignore anything you hear about some Project Gestalt business or something called Replicants. Fake news, all of it. Glory to mankind.

They’ve actually bothered to post guards at the castle gates this go around. A bit too little, too late guys. The Forest King has already been assassinated. Twice, if you believe that was another copy of it as the Meat Box Resource Unit core.

Music: Forest Kingdom (Dynamic)

Everyone in the castle itself has leveled up to appropriate Level 50+ range for Route C and a few guards have been swapped out with Enhanced Legday units. Everyone is quite mad at androids at the moment, but they’ve got nothing to say that we hadn’t heard our first tear through the area to get to the Resource Unit on side questing with A2.

This sidequest giver is located at the very top floor of the far eastern ruined Library chamber of the castle, just above the entrance to the old forest king’s grave. What do you know? It’s another Scanner unit from YoRHa. That makes a whole four confirmed NPC survivors. I still don’t think we’ll be able to start a baseball team anytime soon...

Let’s see what’s up.

Yeah. I’m 9S, by the way.
Oh yeah, I’ve heard of you... You’re the model people used to call “Nines”, right?
Yeah.
I’m 4S. It’s impressive that you’re still alive, 9S.
You’re a Type-4 model, eh? You guys were deployed pretty early on if I remember correctly.
I sure wasn’t expecting to run into another Scanner model. Not after what happened to the Bunker...
So what are you doing here?
Gathering intel on the enemy. YoRHa might be a thing of the past, but the Resistance is still around. So as long as my body works, I figure I should make myself useful. If you have any information about local enemies, can you share it with me? There’s only so much I can do on my own.
Sure. I’ll give you everything I have at the moment.

So begins easily the biggest pain in the rear end quest in the game. And that is counting a sidequest that requires every single weapon to be obtained and upgraded to maximum level.

So 4S actually wants Unit Data entries in our Intel log. Specifically, to complete the quest fully we need to get a 95% completion rate of enemies. We’re at 80% right now having completed 92% of sidequests and killed every machine and corrupted android along the way. We’ll maybe get another 5-7% completion by going through the remainder of the game and hitting Ending C. There’s maybe another 2% hitting post-game boss fights against Level 99 enemies.

So what’s the missing percentages? RNG, baby! Enemy that will only spawn at random points at specific times in the story with the RNG gods determining if rare spawns will occur such as say a EMP capable version of X enemy that looks literally identical to all the others or a 10% chance an Enhanced Model (red dude) version of an enemy will spawn at a specific place at a specific story event. This quest is straight up impossible to complete before hitting Ending C which might unlock some ways to make toying with the RNG slightly more manageable.

This is the part of the LP I have been dreading doing most because it’ll be just 3-4 hours of me dicking around listening to a podcast getting annoyed one specific version of one fucker doesn’t wanna show up so I can get an extra percentage or two.

Thanks again, Nines. You’re really helping out here. Here’s something for your trouble. Let me know if you find any more data, all right?

This jerk is at least nice enough to give out some rewards at certain thresholds. Specifically, 75% and upward to 95% total.

We will not be visiting this jerk Scanner unit again until the postgame wrap-up. This quest will just linger in our log until likely just before the LP is finished. So that’s fun. It sitting there reminding me I have to go do this trash quest... Again...

Speaking of suffering... That’s it for the Forest Kingdom and sidequests. There’s another thing we can do while we’re in the region, though. Now that we’ve concluded the grim fate of Pascal’s Village, what do you say we pop over there as 9S, eh?

Music: Wretched Weaponry (Quiet)

We could have visited here any time as 9S past the title drop of Route C and he would be greeted with the machine corpse filled ruins of the Machine Village. All 9S does is let out a troubled gasp at seeing all the friendly machines dead. BUT... since we’ve finished up deciding Pascal’s fate and erased his memories...

...Our pal Pascal is actually hanging out here now. Hey, buddy... How’s it err... how’s it going...?

Music: Wretched Weaponry (Quiet Vocal)

Pity about all the junk, however. I keep trying to clear it away, but it seems to be never-ending.
Pascal, that’s...
Pascal? Hmm. That sounds oddly familiar. Ah, well. Would you like to take a look at my wares?

So Pascal has now become a special merchant. For what, you ask...?

...Aww, Christ! Yep, Pascal is now selling the dismembered body parts of his former townsfolk.

He also salvaged the Machine Cores from the machine children that went through the suicide pact. I mean, it was just a bunch of junk going to waste as far as he knew. You know, because of the memory wipe and all. The Children’s Cores can be sold at any other merchant for 50,000 G. BEST VALUE! The Machine Arms, Legs, Torso and Head are all high end weapon upgrade material, usually for maximum level upgrades with Masamune.

The Machine Heads, however, is a new weapon if 9S wants to box with the severed head of one of the machines he did a sidequest for back in happier times. These morbid Combat Bracers provide a Machine Discount at robot merchants still alive, including Pascal. At maximum upgrade it gains Machine Brand which permanent buffs the weapon damage for every foe killed, topping out at 500 kills.

Machine Heads posted:

I LACK PARTS

I AM USELESS

MY EXISTENCE IS UNNECESSARY

I TRIED I TRIED SO HARD MOMMY

Yep... that’s about what I expected. Of COURSE they’re machine child heads. Those are the easiest to pop off. Everyone knows that!

And that concludes the relevance of the Machine Village in NieR: Automata. Tune in next time when we hang out with some old friends and hear about their depressing lives as :yokotaro: adventures in sad robots having awful times continues!

Video: Episode 121 Highlight Reel

Forest Castle Concept Art – Should have just razed this castle to the ground the first time we were here...

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
and that's why wiping pascal's memories is actually the best action.

weapon! upgrades! money!

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Children's Hearts Cores: CAN BE EXCHANGED FOR MONEY.

...Woohoo?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
So, I suppose mechanically speaking them memory wipe is the best option at least. When I saw what he was selling I couldn't help but laugh. Morbidly.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Holy poo poo that's hilarious. That's just so loving late 90s edgy it's absolutely perfect.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahahahah I never saw that because I helped Pascal escape this cycle of death and rebirth.

And I also skipped out on the 4S mission by not looking there. :v:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
first of all, I like that even in his maximum-kill-all-machines mode, 9S still seems upset when he sees Pascal (or weirded out)

secondly
gently caress those enhanced variants of machines
especially the flying one in the desert with the kamikaze units, you know who you are

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
jesus loving christ

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Yeah, that has looped right back into horrible but funny.

Gameplay wise, if Pascal dies how long are you locked out of these items? I assume the weapon at least can be bought somewhere else eventually... but all things considered I can imagine they just lock the upgrade materials out of being purchased and you have to reply on drops.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Paused posted:

Gameplay wise, if Pascal dies how long are you locked out of these items? I assume the weapon at least can be bought somewhere else eventually... but all things considered I can imagine they just lock the upgrade materials out of being purchased and you have to reply on drops.

The weapon is as missable as the weapon rewards for other missable sidequests. There are a tiny handful of Truly Permanently Missable Things but weapons are not one of them. To specifically answer your "how long" question, as TDI already hinted in this update when talking about the sidequest: finish route C.

The upgrade materials can come from drops in the meantime, yes.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Paused posted:

Yeah, that has looped right back into horrible but funny.

you arent locked out permanently, is all anyone should say to that

and Machine Arms are (for me at least) stupidly harder to find as drops than the rest of the machine parts

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
:yokotaro: Level = High

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

I bought the baby machine brains and just kept them. Hoping I would be able to do something, anything with them for best boy pascal. :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

When the English VAs were doing a playthrough, they found Pascal's shop.

They were not pleased (I'm not linking because there is obvious spoilers, and I don't have the effort to track it down right now anyway)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wish there was a flashback to Pascal waking up next to all the machine children and going "wow, someone just left all these fresh spare parts lying around! :buddy:"

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I like how we were having a full-on philosophical debate over Pascal's fate without knowing one path lead to him becoming a BODY PART MERCHANT.

I think it also seals killing Pascal as the "Correct" option. He would be driven into a homicidal rage by his memory-wiped self.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
So yeah, you can take the heads of a pair of peaceful machines (that were very likely murdered by berserker machines) and use them to beat other machines to death. :yokotaro: is taking their pacifism, shanking it in a dark alley, taking its wallet, molesting its corpse, and then finally going to its house and doing the same to its wife and kids. It's just about the most darkly hilarious thing I've seen in ages.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

...! posted:

And this doesn't really have much to do with the question, but I do want to try creating a pinball or a vertical scrolling shooter game. Well, this is simply because I like those types of games.

I would definitely play Emil Pinball. I think a lot of people would.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
At...

... at least someone called him 'Nines'? :ohdear:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Notice how there's still two NPC dots on the map?

Shut in machine's still apparently shut in. Good for him. He had a goal, and he achieved it. Even in the face of the apocalypse, that door is staying shut.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Huh. I guess machines are fairly resistant to heat.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

chiasaur11 posted:

Notice how there's still two NPC dots on the map?

Shut in machine's still apparently shut in. Good for him. He had a goal, and he achieved it. Even in the face of the apocalypse, that door is staying shut.

Also note that your weapons can phase through walls, so if you get confused about what that dot is and try to attack it, it explodes!

I'm sorry, Shut-In Machine. You survived the massacre just to die pointlessly here. :negative:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

This is why, regardless of the ethics of it, wiping Pascal is the correct option. Morally repugnant, but correct.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That is just so goddamn special. You be you, unca Yoko,

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Bufuman posted:

So yeah, you can take the heads of a pair of peaceful machines (that were very likely murdered by berserker machines) and use them to beat other machines to death. :yokotaro: is taking their pacifism, shanking it in a dark alley, taking its wallet, molesting its corpse, and then finally going to its house and doing the same to its wife and kids. It's just about the most darkly hilarious thing I've seen in ages.

No, they weren't murdered by the machines. They committed suicide. Those are children's heads.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Oh god, I was waiting for this update and the reactions to it. Especially once the discussion of morality started.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

Picayune posted:

At...

... at least someone called him 'Nines'? :ohdear:

And wasn't in the process of being put out of her misery while saying it.

:smith:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

exploded mummy posted:

Look at it this way

It can't get any worse

chiasaur11 posted:

We both know that phrase is blood in the water for a Taro Yoko game. Whatever happens next is your fault.

Ixjuvin posted:

let's not kid ourselves

Verant posted:

Oh, my sweet summer child.

look, life gave him lemons and he became an arms dealer

it could have been so much worse

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
If Yoko Taro really wanted to twist the knife, there'd be an option for 9S to hack in and undelete the memories. While wearing dead childrens' faces as bracelets. Welcome back, Pascal!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ashsaber posted:

Oh god, I was waiting for this update and the reactions to it. Especially once the discussion of morality started.

If there's one thing we've learned today, it's that being a consequentialist in a Yoko Taro game is a deeply horrifying proposition.

• Locked thread