Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I feel bad for peeps in this thread. I’m sitting here with 2 of 3 mewtwos for the day (including a 91%) and 13 overall. I’d trade if you were local :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The day weather boosting all the chikoritas I caught was pretty cool. Managed to turn a 611 shiny (plus a weather boosted moltres next time we meet up) into a shadow claw gengar :coal:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Niantic needs to cut the poo poo and do more raids during community days. Like every gym should have different levels nonstop.

This would be great. A reason to bring all the people together is good and offers a break from "CATCH THE SAME POKEMON OVER AND OVER".

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Got a Mr. Mime and that rounds out Kanto.

Managed to catch six shiny Chikorita and evolve two of them to the final form.

All in all a solid day.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Fartington Butts posted:

This would be great. A reason to bring all the people together is good and offers a break from "CATCH THE SAME POKEMON OVER AND OVER".

We had more people at the one Mewtwo raid than I've ever seen in my town, I think the total was 24 so we split in the two groups and we've never had to do that before

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
16 shiny chikoritas, same strategy has worked consistently for 3 community days in a row and yielded around the same amount each time.

Now what the hell am I gonna do with 16 Chikoritas?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

trade them to people who missed out on the community day. i always try to catch extra shinies on community day just for that purpose. doing nice things for people feels good.

now if only someone would return the favor for the shiny bulbasaur, charmander and mareep i missed out on :smith:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Yeah, I wasn't even playing yet on any of those community days. The cost is just so high for trading though, even with good friend levels.

I'll probably start handing out Chikoritas for any decent high CP pokemon. I don't have enough Tyranitars or Blisseys yet.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the trade cost is pretty manageable at ultra friends, 100k stardust isn't much. or maybe i just have a warped sense of stardust since i never power anything up because what if i need that stardust later to power something else up.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If I had been around for the whole life of the game, i'd probably have like 10 or 20 million stardust. But I have like 500k total right now. :(

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Went 1/5 on mewtwo raids, but it was pretty fun to do a 60ish person raid train over a few blocks. And the dittonut was super adorable. Good community day, i even bothered to catch a few chikoritas.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LionArcher posted:

I feel bad for peeps in this thread. I’m sitting here with 2 of 3 mewtwos for the day (including a 91%) and 13 overall. I’d trade if you were local :(
I'm 5 for 6, and the one I missed was due to a bug. I've been lucky - best so far was 96% (a15) weather boosted with Thunderbolt. I still don't have an ice move one, though.

I feel fortunate because I usually don't have this high a catch rate.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

What’s the best move set for non-EX Mewtwo? I finally caught a halfway decent one today, it’s currently Psycho Cut/Ice Beam.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
Hatched all the regionals I didn't already have, did raids at the two EX gyms nearby, caught a Mewtwo, got a bunch of shiny Chikos and traded some to a friend who only got one. One of my best Pokédays.

Tank Sinatra
Dec 26, 2012
Had a big pokeday. I stumbled into a Mewtwo raid, which we barely won. I caught the ugly bastard, and just then I hatched a Mr. Mime. Quickly set up a trade with one of the dudes from the raid, and he hooked me up with a Dragonite. I had five holes in my Kanto dex, and that was three of them filled in the space of a few minutes.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

BabyRyoga posted:

If I had been around for the whole life of the game, i'd probably have like 10 or 20 million stardust. But I have like 500k total right now. :(

Nah Stardust was even rarer than it was today. No weather, no gifts, no raids, no berries to donate, etc.

Your only reliable source besides catching was hatching eggs and 5000 stardust if you were one of the lucky few who actually held 10 gyms a day.

The increase of stardust is one of the better things Niantic has done so I can power up stuff like Sunglasses Blastoise and my large pink whale even though I would never use them in actual important situations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ballz posted:

What’s the best move set for non-EX Mewtwo? I finally caught a halfway decent one today, it’s currently Psycho Cut/Ice Beam.
I asked this yesterday. Seems like Thunderbolt - solid dps, and electric is meta-relevant with all the legendary flying pokemon out there.

Ice makes him the top ice attacker in the game, but ice isn't critical. Fire, he's in the top tier of those, too. Dynamic Punch is probably the most practical because it tears down Blisseys really well, without the weaknesses of actual fighting types.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ice mewtwo will be pretty useful for when giratina drops and if we ever get a salamence or dragonite raid

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lol I just realized I never bothered evolving any 'ritas today that means I missed out on the special move doesn't it

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
drat my Mewtwo is only 76 IV with Psycho Cut and Psychic.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
My kid has one of the accounts that got the lizard instead of hardware, so that was pretty weird.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

IcePhoenix posted:

lol I just realized I never bothered evolving any 'ritas today that means I missed out on the special move doesn't it

Meganium moves from like 14th best grass attacker to 13th best grass attacker with frenzy plant so it doesn’t really matter

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

on the other hand for the most part you can use whatever the hell pokemon you like in most cases, so hey if you want to power up a good meganium and use it for gym battles or whatever go hog wild

it's why i got a level 40 sandslash

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Yeah really the only case for min maxing seems to be solo,duo,trio raids. Everything else you have a swarm of pubbies for raids, or wear down gyms with useless meat.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Ballz posted:

Psycho cut/ice beam is the best ice attacker available right now.
Confusion/psychic is similar in power to future sight alakazam, but mewtwo is bulkier, and therefore better overall.
Either quick move with focus blast is good for dealing fighting damage to common gym defenders while resisting psychic attacks from blissey/snorlax, but it's not as high DPS as machamp.

dwarf74 posted:

I asked this yesterday. Seems like Thunderbolt - solid dps, and electric is meta-relevant with all the legendary flying pokemon out there.
No, thunderbolt and flamethrower are the worst, since they're outclassed by the electric and fire type legendaries, and even non-legendaries like flareon and blast burn charizard. Also there are no electric weak legendaries in gen4, the birds are gone and rock types are better against those anyway.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

I again offer if any goons will be in AZ around the holidays or even in the next month and want a Mewtwo, friend me, get to lvl 3, and I'll give you one of mine. :)

Caught 4 shinies for me, 3 for a friend. That friend sent me an egg that hatched to a Mr Mime so I'm trading him that because the poor dude wants one badly, I already have two, and his hatch rate sucks.

Niantic needs to cut the poo poo and do more raids during community days. Like every gym should have different levels nonstop.

What’s your friend code?

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Can anyone add my wife, she loves to get gifts from strangers! Thanks!

5187 2409 1611

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

on the other hand for the most part you can use whatever the hell pokemon you like in most cases, so hey if you want to power up a good meganium and use it for gym battles or whatever go hog wild

it's why i got a level 40 sandslash

Good taste, Sandslash and Sandshrew are heckin' cute.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

Pez posted:

Can anyone add my wife, she loves to get gifts from strangers! Thanks!

Added (PizzaMilady).

The day before Chikorita day, my girlfriend was having trouble with catching a Gastly, so I did it for her and it turned out to be a Ditto (which she needed for a quest) that was a wonder + best stats, so she was very happy about that (little did we know this wouldn't have really mattered soon).

Then on Chikorita day, we went for some Mewtwo raids to try to get her one. I had gotten one the day before and caught it on my first try, and thought, oh, this is like Entei, easy to catch. Did a second raid right after and realized how wrong I was. :mad: I did two and caught a second one, she did three and caught zero. I traded her mine and we were barely able to since we'd just become ultra friends, but fortunately, it was both lucky and got a bump up from second best to best stats. :) I also used a Charged TM on it to give it Focus Blast from Flamethrower to help us take down all those Fighting weak Pokemon in the gyms. Then we got back home to charge our phones just enough before the event.

The event itself went pretty well. I got 7 shinies, she got 3, and we evolved 2 shinies each and 1 regular. We charged our phones again then did gym battles at night and we're now set to get the 50 coin max for 9/23. So it ended up being a very good day for playing Pokemon Go, but I never thought I would spend nearly the entire day just doing that.

Right before the event, I also decided to attack a gym and put in a taunting Pokemon (50 CP Halloween Pikachu from when I played very briefly 2 years ago) since I'd already gotten my 50 coins for 9/22, expecting it to get knocked out quickly. Instead, I checked an hour later to see this:

:3: I liked thinking of it as the Chu family with their caretaker Blissey and pet Donphan residing peacefully in the gym, until this one Blissey jerk came and wrecked the whole family hours later. I noticed they only ever take over that gym, and any time I'd attacked it, they'd heal to full right away even with multiple attacks (on top of having stole claim to the gym when it was grey), so it seems like something weird is going on there.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Fly with me posted:

https://twitter.com/kentosuga/status/1043385296392355840

This is the Global Marketing Lead for Pokemon Go.
This was intentional.

Notice how the Global Marketing Lead for Pokemon Go doesn't use AR mode when catching, because AR mode is dumb.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
I have some pretty poo poo luck in trading but once and a while I get something magical.

I got every response from omg awesome, to you idiot. It's great. Yes I changed bite to waterfall later.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That owns and is exactly what lucky pokemon should be used for.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I just noticed the gym nearest my house is an EX gym but its so out of the way there's no way in hell it'll ever get enough players raiding there to trigger it BUT the gym a bit further down the road, the one in a good spot, that's always changing hands and gets raided constantly yeah that one isn't EX because of course it isn't.

I hope that now we can actually tell what is EX eligible, we also get someway to get "EX status" moved to the gyms that are actually active, rather than them being stuck on ones nobody wants to go to.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
One of those little weird guys from after the event is showing up on my radar right now, which is odd, I thought they just spawned for a half hour after the event.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah there's one on my radar as well.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Yeah I just caught one and it's still Ditto.

You know what is great? Getting to the next level of the Celebi research and finding out you need 40 grass types about 6 hours after Chikorita day is over :suicide:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Just lol @ the people here thinking Nutto is a bug... It's a reveal of a new Pokemon in order to hype the Pokemon Let's Go games that are coming out in a few weeks. This might be the Pokemon that was going to be exclusively available through trading with Go in Let's Go, or the other way around.

- Its model is numbered 891, that's a number beyond the current Pokedex and Pokemon model numbers, suggesting Gen 8 / the Let's Go games
- Niantic's head of marketing hyped it
- It appeared in precisely timed waves after each community day wave, not an accident. Also it's still here, if it was a bug they could have changed something by now.
- A few days before, Kecleon's model was replaced by Nutto (number 891 was found in the filename or something). Its cry was also replaced by a cry that is not of another known Pokemon. The people who still saw Kecleon hadn't restarted their game since then and Kecleon was still in their cache, note how nobody saw both at the same time, always either Kecleon or Nutto.
- Why was Kecleon involved then? They probably needed a way to sneak Nutto into the game without raising suspicion, and this was probably more subtle than expanding the Pokedex from 380 entries or however many we have now, to 891 (or 808, for gen 8). Kecleon was not in anyone's Pokedex as it hasn't been released so the slot was available to use for this purpose
- Its tail is a Kecleon stripe? Lol no, it looks like an electricity wire, for which red and blue are typical colours.

I guess when they eventually remove Nutto and update the assets of Kecleon's model back to Kecleon, this'll be confirmed.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, this thing looks too detailed to be a Missingno-type filler model. And sure, the body looks like Ditto, but it's clearly not.

It's very likely a Gen 8 sneak peek.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Then why have it turn into Ditto? Also they're still around since no patch has been pushed I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://ibb.co/erYrHU

I leveled up 5 other 85+ Machamps with Counter/DP and 4 of them are Lucky so I think I just beat the game

• Locked thread