Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

Centzon Totochtin posted:

What's the moveset for aegislash that makes him broken?

I like Swords Dance/Iron Head/Kings Shield/Shadow Sneak. You get enough defense to spam 3x Swords Dance, then ruin everything with Iron Head. Kings Shield whenever a new guy comes out to swap back into defensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I got a Phantump through Wonder Trade, and it evolved into Trevenant.

When it evolved, it said "Trevenant learned Horn Leech!" but it wasn't actually added to her move list. All she knows is Tackle and Confuse Ray. Does this happen a lot, or was this just some freak bug I ran into?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So I'm not interested in power gaming or EVs or online poo poo. Just want a well rounded team.

I picked the grass starter, Squirtle, and like the Fletchling Bird that turns into a fire, and Flabebe for a fairy. What are two glaring weakness's to make 5 and 6? I want to try and stick to X/Y or Black/White mon as I played a lot of the earlier ones so played a lot of red/gold mon.

I have X if that helps.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

teacup posted:

So I'm not interested in power gaming or EVs or online poo poo. Just want a well rounded team.

I picked the grass starter, Squirtle, and like the Fletchling Bird that turns into a fire, and Flabebe for a fairy. What are two glaring weakness's to make 5 and 6? I want to try and stick to X/Y or Black/White mon as I played a lot of the earlier ones so played a lot of red/gold mon.

I have X if that helps.

Get a ghost sword to turn into an Aegislash, and a good psychic mon and you will be set.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

For Aegislash's moveset, use Protect, not King's Shield. Nobody's gonna risk physically attacking him anyway so you might as well protect yourself from Will-o-Wisp and Hynosis.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

teacup posted:

I have X if that helps.

Pick up an Axew, you can get one in the first cave, and also an Inkay which you can get right after. That'll give you two more physical dudes who are really powerful and can cover a lot of types your other guys can't.

Malamar can use the Move Relearner to get Superpower. Absolutely do this, and get one with Contrary, for hilarious shenanigans.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

LAY-ZX posted:

For Aegislash's moveset, use Protect, not King's Shield. Nobody's gonna risk physically attacking him anyway so you might as well protect yourself from Will-o-Wisp and Hynosis.

But will Protect trigger Stance Change?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cyflan posted:

But will Protect trigger Stance Change?

No it won't. Only King's Shield will. If you're not running King's Shield you may as well run a third attack, perhaps Hidden Power fire as Aegislash has an absurd 150 base special attack in attack form and you can nail stuff that would otherwise wall it.

Zore fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 22, 2013

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Protect won't trigger Stance Change. You'll need to either use King's Shield or switch out.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Got it. I think I've learned enough for today, thanks again, man. It's incredibly helpful!

Yeah, I mostly have nothing to base or use as an example since I've never spent time remembering the names of Pokes from Gen V, but I do know that I cared a great deal for my Pangoro early on and thought teaching him Surf was the best idea I'd ever had. I was using that mostly for examples sake to try and make sure I had the right idea down as far as how competitive battling goes.

I'll definitely be taking your advice however. There's a lot for me to learn, so looking up videos will be incredibly entertaining and educational in the same way. On top of that, I'll definitely be back to ask and get critique on my team.

[Separate note: Do you guys use a specific site to cross check things about Pokemon? Like an online Pokedex or something or is it just a mix or Serebii, Smogon and Bulbapedia?]

If you want a really quick way to get into the game and start figuring out the flow of player battles, Pokemon Showdown has a Random Battle option. It gives both you and your opponent six completely random pokemon with predetermined movesets. You're not gonna learn anything about team builds or that kind of thing but you will get a feel for what is effective, what sounded better in your head, and maybe you'll even find a pokemon you would have overlooked completely and decide you sorta like them.

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/

The good thing is that although the movesets are randomly picked from several they seem to not be completely random, it's not like you'll get trash like Scratch/Tackle/Sand Attack.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

LAY-ZX posted:

Whoever said King's shield wouldn't protect vs those moves? I haven't found anything that would suggest King's shield is worse than protect.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

GeckoMissingo posted:

Whoever said King's shield wouldn't protect vs those moves? I haven't found anything that would suggest King's shield is worse than protect.

It definitely does not, it's been tested. It's not worse than protect since it applies a really harsh debuff to the attacker and switches Aegislash to defensive mode, but it does have a different niche.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Protect won't trigger Stance Change. You'll need to either use King's Shield or switch out.

Cool, apparently I've spent the last two weeks getting lied to.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Star Guarded posted:

I've been hatching Grimers for an hour and a random Japanese person I traded with in the GTS has been giving me the level 3 hatching o-power every couple minutes. I can't do anything besides spam the nice button but I love him and his psychic ability to know what I'm doing.

Is he giving them directly to you or are you getting them from him through his PSS icon lighting up? If it's the latter, he's just using them for himself and you can take them. A kindred spirit, if you will.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Geostomp posted:

As dumb as Ash was in Unova (as well as Iris annoying and Cilan useless), I'd say that the biggest problem was that the show just ran out of plot about 2/3s of the way through. Without even Team Rocket to eat up time, they were forced to meander around in incredibly pointless filler forever. They did try to work in N and a Plasma plot, but those were just awkward. XY might be better, but I'm not holding my breath for this show to be good.

I'd really love to see the show switch up to the game protagonists sometime. Let Ash have some closure and start fresh.

They had a big plot two-parter with Team Rocket and Team Plasma going at each other planned around when the series fell apart... then there was that big earthquake+tsunami+badly maintained nuclear power plant thing. It was never aired.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok I just realized that they slightly changed Steel and it no longer resists ghost and dark (I think because of Aegislash)... which means Metagross is now weak to Ghost and Dark.

I caught a Metang in someone's friend safari and was all excited to train it up :v: His strong Steel type move is actually useful now since it hits Fairies for more damage.

On the other hand holy poo poo they've FINALLY updated some of the old useless mons statwise to keep up with the constant power creep. Before this generation they used to only balance old stuff by giving it new moves or a more powerful 2nd or 3rd ability, they've never touched stats.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So hey, gently caress Game Freak for gating the egg-hatching O-Power behind a max style requirement. All this style-raising garbage in Lumiose? It's all boring as gently caress. And as far as I know, there's no drat way to see how close you are to 'max' or how long it would take. I've beaten all three star restaurants, I've worked at the hotel a couple days, I can't beat the battle place because it's cheaty bullshit like all Battle Tower things...

No idea how close I am, but I have a feeling the answer is 'not close enough to justify wasting this much time and money to get it.'

In the time it's taken me to grind style points, I could've hatched three dozen eggs. And the power probably isn't even worth it, that's the joke here. I dunno how many steps each levels reduces, but it can't be far enough to warrant going through this tedious crap.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ok I just realized that they slightly changed Steel and it no longer resists ghost and dark (I think because of Aegislash)... which means Metagross is now weak to Ghost and Dark.

I caught a Metang in someone's friend safari and was all excited to train it up :v: His strong Steel type move is actually useful now since it hits Fairies for more damage.

On the other hand holy poo poo they've FINALLY updated some of the old useless mons statwise to keep up with the constant power creep. Before this generation they used to only balance old stuff by giving it new moves or a more powerful 2nd or 3rd ability, they've never touched stats.

To be fair, they're still barely touching stats and seem to be doing it at random. Most of the mon's they've touched have gotten a 10 point boost in the weirdest things, like Staraptor getting a little boost to Special Defense. The only pokemon who got a significant stat boost is Pikachu who got 15 point boosts to... both defenses.

The only pokemon they've really changed for the better is Scolipede. 100 base attack and speed boost as its hidden ability :getin:

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

ChibiSoma posted:

So hey, gently caress Game Freak for gating the egg-hatching O-Power behind a max style requirement. All this style-raising garbage in Lumiose? It's all boring as gently caress. And as far as I know, there's no drat way to see how close you are to 'max' or how long it would take. I've beaten all three star restaurants, I've worked at the hotel a couple days, I can't beat the battle place because it's cheaty bullshit like all Battle Tower things...

No idea how close I am, but I have a feeling the answer is 'not close enough to justify wasting this much time and money to get it.'

In the time it's taken me to grind style points, I could've hatched three dozen eggs. And the power probably isn't even worth it, that's the joke here. I dunno how many steps each levels reduces, but it can't be far enough to warrant going through this tedious crap.

Go to the Pokeball shop and buy like a hundred balls one at a time.

Every purchase will give you a bit of Style.

And if you didn't buy the other Kanto starter mega stones yet their price will go down to a minimum of 10,000 with Style, so that's one way to tell.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cyflan posted:

Go to the Pokeball shop and buy like a hundred balls one at a time.

Every purchase will give you a bit of Style.

And if you didn't buy the other Kanto starter mega stones yet their price will go down to a minimum of 10,000 with Style, so that's one way to tell.

This.
Someone on /vp/ said it was 150 balls, but I can't verify that. You don't need to buy expensive balls either, just the 200$ ones.
Hatching power is extremely effective when you have a flame body with you. I've never tried it without a flame body because that's just counter intuitive.

octopiggy
Feb 16, 2012
Joined the club last night:

Shiny Seaking!

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Zore posted:

King's Shield/Swords Dance/Shadow Sneak and either Sacred Sword or Iron Head.

Note, he's not really broken. Will-o-wisp and other status goes straight through King's Shield and he's absolute bait for things resistant to Ghost that are faster than him. He is a really, really good pokemon though.

Well goddamn, I evolved him at level 51 before he learned King's Shield; what level does he learn it?

E: also is there a way to devolve him or do I need to train and EV another one I hate my life

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Well goddamn, I evolved him at level 51 before he learned King's Shield; what level does he learn it?

Go to the Move Relearner. Only Aegislash learns it.

e: Doublade doesn't. And i'm fairly certain the only way to get it is Move Relearner unless Aegislash can learn it at a pretty low level.

Cyflan fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 22, 2013

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

nerdbot posted:

Is he giving them directly to you or are you getting them from him through his PSS icon lighting up? If it's the latter, he's just using them for himself and you can take them. A kindred spirit, if you will.
Oh I see. I just assumed the game asked consent if the person wasn't on your friends list. Oh well, it's also cool that I was hatching eggs at the same time as a dude in Japan. He was probably confused by my nice button spam, then.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Cyflan posted:

And i'm fairly certain the only way to get it is Move Relearner unless Aegislash can learn it at a pretty low level.

Aegislash, being a stone evolution, does not in fact have any level-up moves at all. His list of relearnable moves is probably the longest of any Pokemon in the entire series, though.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Guys I made my own pokemon. He is the bro pokemon who is a brewski refrigerator and has bottle opener hands.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Gamefreak already stole your idea.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

HoneyBoy posted:

Gamefreak already stole your idea.

Napoleon's idea is quite clearly a Rotom evolution!

I would use it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Random girl trainer in the battle chateau had a shiny Burmy. Is this a joke gamefreak....

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zore posted:

To be fair, they're still barely touching stats and seem to be doing it at random. Most of the mon's they've touched have gotten a 10 point boost in the weirdest things, like Staraptor getting a little boost to Special Defense. The only pokemon who got a significant stat boost is Pikachu who got 15 point boosts to... both defenses.

The only pokemon they've really changed for the better is Scolipede. 100 base attack and speed boost as its hidden ability :getin:

Clefable went from a lovely 85 Special attack to a slightly less lovely 95 special attack. With the typing change it can deliver a moderately powerful Moonblast and it resists fighting instead of being weak to it.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

PonchAxis posted:

Random girl trainer in the battle chateau had a shiny Burmy. Is this a joke gamefreak....

It is, actually. Ever since like the RSE days there's always been a couple of trainers in the battle areas who have a Pokemon guaranteed to be shiny just to gently caress with you.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

PonchAxis posted:

I always wondered if this could happen, thanks for answering a question I've had for 5 generations of pokemon.

Edit:Oh NM

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

LAY-ZX posted:

Aegislash, being a stone evolution, does not in fact have any level-up moves at all. His list of relearnable moves is probably the longest of any Pokemon in the entire series, though.

A lot of Stone evolutions have level up moves but generally only 2 or 3. Arcanine learns Extremespeed and Close Combat after evolving, for instance.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The stat change I understand least is Azumarill getting a buff to Special Attack when you would never, ever want to use Azumarill's Special Attack.

There are a few that can definitely be appreciated, though. Raichu's Speed buff, Clefable's Special Attack buff and Scolipede's Attack buff strike me as the most major of them.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 22, 2013

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

I like how both Nido's had their attack boosted but Sheer Force still makes a special set better.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

OK so this is probably public knowledge and I am behind, but Pokemon you capture from the friend Safari always at least have 2 maxed out IV's, when I checked it out for myself I was all like :monocle:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Evil Canadian posted:

OK so this is probably public knowledge and I am behind, but Pokemon you capture from the friend Safari always at least have 2 maxed out IV's, when I checked it out for myself I was all like :monocle:

Holy poo poo

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I love how sometimes when you heal your Pokémon at a Center it switches to a random camera angle, like they're just going "gently caress it, we can DO THIS NOW!!!!"

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Legendaries will also have at least 2 maxed out IVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

As will baby Pokémon like Riolu and Pichu, because they're in the same breeding group as legendaries.

• Locked thread