Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Feenix posted:

Not really sure if this is an iOS apps relevant question but it’s the closest I could think of. Ever since iOS 13 when I tell Siri to create a reminder she puts it in not my reminders list but my dinners for the week list. I’ve been having to go in and manually move it by changing list. Early on I thought this was a beta issue but it has persisted and I’m wondering if I am missing some default list setting somewhere?

There is the default list option in iOS settings app and then click Reminders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Rye Bread posted:

I’d switch completely, but my company email is O365 as well. I can’t seem to figure out how to turn badge counts off for the gmail accounts only. I think it’s all or nothing.

Not to mention for me the Outlook app is slow, doesn’t update in the background properly and notifications are inconsistent.

Notifications not firing for work meetings is a huge deal breaker for me.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Protocol7 posted:

If you go into the recently used apps view (I think it's still the double-tap home button on the Air 2) you can swipe apps up to close them.

Full restart is just turning it off and on. Hold power button, swipe to shut off, etc.

Well this seems to have fixed the two-open-tabs-at-a-time problem, although I get the feeling it’s only a matter of time before that happens again. Thanks for the tip.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Which confuses the hell out of me, cuz apparently it works for the people who won the dice-roll to let them have the option to enable it.

Not like Google are super invested in making their Gmail app any good anyway. It's nearly 2020 and the iPad app can still only be run in full-screen.

I have dark Gmail and I don’t even use the app. Not one bit. Not even a little bit.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

LODGE NORTH posted:

I have dark Gmail and I don’t even use the app. Not one bit. Not even a little bit.

Yeah same but it doesn’t have auto switch yet so I’ve not used it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’ve been having a weird issue with the gmail app where if I get a email notification pop up and tap it, the gmail app opens but doesn’t go to the email, just the inbox where the email I wanted to read does not appear.

That’s because for some reason the email has been autodeleted and is in the trash. It doesn’t happen every time but at least half I’d say. I’ve updated the phone and the app and keep getting the same thing happening.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Violator posted:

There is the default list option in iOS settings app and then click Reminders.

Thanks Friend! I did not know that!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah same but it doesn’t have auto switch yet so I’ve not used it.

Actually I take this back, it’s working.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
For some reason using Gmail’s labels is important to me, even though I make almost no use of them - I basically just tag shop invoices so I can see them a bit more clearly in the inbox (then archive when the item arrives). Do any other email apps have access to that in the same way as Gmail uses them, or will it treat them as folders where an item leaves the inbox once you apply the label to them?

Ideally an app that can do push notifications from Gmail.

At this point, if I could train myself into a better workflow for organising those emails - especially ones that might need to be within multiple labels/folders at once, I’d probably make the switch away from Gmail.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Rye Bread posted:

Not having dark mode for gmail on iOS is pretty common. Their support forums have a few threads on it.

Apparently, as of 11/22, it’s “taking longer than expected for iOS.”

https://support.google.com/mail/thread/17162631?hl=en

Sucks. I put my gmail accounts in Outlook temporarily.

I have been considering doing this as I use the outlook app for work emails and really like it, but I would like to keep them separate for just in case reasons. Also I have work email notifications off, not sure if outlook allows per account notification settings.

Outlook is a much better thought out app than gmail though.

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Is there a better weather app now that IBM has totally loving ruined weather underground on version 6? They removed Apple Watch support and widgets and about 10 other features I used. You now have to pay to get the hourly forecast. It really sucks because I used the watch and widgets every day.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Sarah Problem posted:

Is there a better weather app now that IBM has totally loving ruined weather underground on version 6? They removed Apple Watch support and widgets and about 10 other features I used. You now have to pay to get the hourly forecast. It really sucks because I used the watch and widgets every day.

Dark Sky

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Carrot (powered by Dark Sky).

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Carrot uses Dark Sky by default, but can also use data from Foreca, ClimaCell, AccuWeather, Aeris Weather, MeteoGroup, and (if you're in Australia) WillyWeather.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

empty baggie posted:

(if you're in Australia) WillyWeather.

Lol!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Hello Weather is also powered by your choice of Dark Sky, Accuweather, AerisWeather, or the Weather Channel.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is Hello Weather one of the more accurate weather apps? I already own it so I'm installing it again to try it out.

I've been using Weather Live but it's just not that accurate. The other day it said it was like 15 degrees cooler than it actually was, so I dressed in jeans and a long sleeve shirt when I would've been way more comfortable in shorts and a t-shirt.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Rageaholic posted:

Is Hello Weather one of the more accurate weather apps? I already own it so I'm installing it again to try it out.

I've been using Weather Live but it's just not that accurate. The other day it said it was like 15 degrees cooler than it actually was, so I dressed in jeans and a long sleeve shirt when I would've been way more comfortable in shorts and a t-shirt.

The post directly before yours addresses this as best anyone will be able to without sharing your location

XBenedict posted:

Hello Weather is also powered by your choice of Dark Sky, Accuweather, AerisWeather, or the Weather Channel.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Grassy Knowles posted:

The post directly before yours addresses this as best anyone will be able to without sharing your location
I guess what I mean is which of those sources is usually the most accurate?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

I guess what I mean is which of those sources is usually the most accurate?

That depends on your location.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there a photo app like Dreamscope that’s better and/or cheaper? I forgot it existed and just went to check it out and it’s still slow as gently caress and $10/month for high res images.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Does anyone else’s “recently closed tabs” list act weird?

Mine seems to show the actual recently closed (last few hours) and then a huge list of tabs that I closed months ago. That part never seems to clear out, any ideas?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it’s been weird for a while.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Apologies if this has been covered recently, but does anyone know why autocorrect has gone totally bugfuck on me since iOS 13?

I just typed “This sounds” and it turned it into “This d SST o in nds”

It’s like it loves expanding a single typo into a whole string of 2-3 letter nonsense words

It keeps doing this as bd I am losing my mind

E: ^^ that’s what it did to “and”

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Nothing that bad for me, but it does do some annoying poo poo sometimes. The other day I was typing the title of a movie--I forget what it was, but it was two regular words spelled normally, let's say it was "Lethal Weapon." I typed "Lethal Weapon," spelled and capitalized perfectly, no reason for autocorrect to get involved, but it changed it to "Lethal a Weapon." Thanks!!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Apologies if this has been covered recently, but does anyone know why autocorrect has gone totally bugfuck on me since iOS 13?

I just typed “This sounds” and it turned it into “This d SST o in nds”

It’s like it loves expanding a single typo into a whole string of 2-3 letter nonsense words

It keeps doing this as bd I am losing my mind

E: ^^ that’s what it did to “and”

I dunno but if I miss type just it loving autocorrects it to Jaír ??? Wtf?

If I backspace just is the first word to replace it with.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
If I type "PO Box" it autocorrects it to "P.o. box" 100% of the time even after trying to teach it that I don't want that correction.

I wouldn't mind it correcting to "P.O. Box" I guess, but no thanks to that wonky capitalization.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's seriously debilitating, and it's new behavior that started quite suddenly. It's making it so I genuinely dread typing on the phone and now have to get to a laptop if I want to do any involved typing. Is there any way to like reset the dictionary or something?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Settings —> General —> Reset

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Typing jusy turns it into just and P.O. Box is autocorrected just like that. Reset your dictionaries.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I reset my keyboard dictionary twice, closed all apps, restarted the phone, and even gave it some time to just sit there and do its iOS thing.

Let's see: P.o. box

Thanks iOS 13. It just works.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I reset my keyboard dictionary twice, closed all apps, restarted the phone, and even gave it some time to just sit there and do its iOS thing.

Let's see: P.o. box

Thanks iOS 13. It just works.

P.O. Box

:shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gently caress you Jaír!

gently caress right off.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Ooo this is a fun game.

I'm gonna try to type P.O. Box

Works for me as well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m guessing the person with the P.o. box problem has it somewhere in contacts like that.

The thing that always enrages me is when it thinks I’m trying a proper noun and corrects to that capitalized word. Then when I back out to retype it keeps the shift on for that word like of course I’m retyping a proper noun.

Ok maybe it doesn’t enrage me but it’s been annoying for years now.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I don't have it stored anywhere in my contacts. In fact I have actually tried the opposite, creating a contact called "P.O. Box" or variations thereof trying to fix the problem. I've also tried creating keyboard shortcuts or whatever but it still insists upon P.o. box. I do wonder if it has something to do with having other languages' keyboards enabled. Not that "P.o. box" is proper in any language but maybe it's just creating some oddness.

It's just one of those iOS problems that makes no sense but isn't worth completely resetting or restoring to fix. :(

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lazyhound posted:

Settings —> General —> Reset

Thanks, drat Apple for putting something in a place too obvious for me to find

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Thanks, drat Apple for putting something in a place too obvious for me to find

IMO it's pretty bizarre to have a "Keyboard" section in General settings and not put the keyboard dictionary reset option there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
The root issue is the swipe keyboard is turned on and you're not swiping. Then it's saving your mistyped as correct words to autocorrect to. I'm not a fan of the Apple swipe so I disabled it and installed GBoard for times I want to swipe. When I want precision I go to the stock.