Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Person Dyslexic posted:

I prefer to spend my time lurking here, waiting for the actual moment of plot progression like a toad waiting for that golden fly to land. I'll probably grow old and die before it happens but there is always hope.

To add a bit of content, I find it hard to care in the slightest about an antagonist who has appeared in five chapters and has the amazing character development of, "wow he kicked the armored titan's rear end, something everyone else has proved entirely capable of multiple times."

shut up retard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Why is Annie called "The Female Titan" if there are clearly female titans, like the broad-shouldered, barrel-chested woman with a Black Hole Sun smile in this issue. Really Annie's unique trait is she's "The Female Titan That Actually Has Breasts."

The Japanese is 女型 which is literally "Woman-Type" i.e. she's physiotypically female so that's what they call her

I'm not sure if physiotypical is even a word though. My spellcheck doesn't think it is.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

It's been a while since I've done a reread of the series and somethings bothering me that I don't want to go back and check. I seem to remember that during the very beginning of the series Eren dreams of Frieda Riese, but how could he have obtained memories of her if he didn't eat his father until after the attack is over? Am I misrembering speculation and it was just Mikasa or has it not been explained? In fact, did we ever get any kind of explination for the title of the first chapter?

My impression is that Frieda actively sought out Eren, because of who he is: the offspring of another shifter who came from outside the walls. But this raises more questions. If she knew, why did she and her collective consciousness not rat him out to the MP? Grisha and Frieda would have a relationship, why would he turn against the true King? And was Grisha really the one who orchestrated the attack on Mikasa's family?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Why is Annie called "The Female Titan" if there are clearly female titans, like the broad-shouldered, barrel-chested woman with a Black Hole Sun smile in this issue. Really Annie's unique trait is she's "The Female Titan That Actually Has Breasts."

She's the only distinctively female-looking titan among the abnormal types? They don't bother labeling or even looking at the regular titans, so it works well enough as a shorthand.
Come to think of it I don't recall them seeing Ymir's titan form either.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

My guess is all the titans seen near the walls were old soldiers from 100 years ago, and I guess it was mostly men enrolling in the army.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Someone refresh my memory, why instead of doing suicide attempts and trying to fight the colossal titan they don't attempt to just lost them in the city and then run to the loving basement?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I think the "Hange controlling the armored titan" theory could be right considering she knows the most about titan biology. Maybe she slipped into that big gaping hole and is flailing Reiner's vegetable body around like a puppet?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Don't we all Erwin, don't we all.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Turin Turambar posted:

Someone refresh my memory, why instead of doing suicide attempts and trying to fight the colossal titan they don't attempt to just lost them in the city and then run to the loving basement?
Because monkey trouble can command the titans to run, and titans can run faster than horses

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

change my name posted:

I think the "Hange controlling the armored titan" theory could be right considering she knows the most about titan biology. Maybe she slipped into that big gaping hole and is flailing Reiner's vegetable body around like a puppet?

Something must be up with armored or this battle is just completely impossible

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

change my name posted:

I will only accept this if they show her having the time of her life doing so.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

change my name posted:

The theories I like the most are:
1. Eren is currently controlling Reiner because the damage dealt to Reiner's brain has left him temporarily susceptible to the coordinate.
2. The damage to Reiner's brain has caused his "soldier" personality to reassert itself and he will fight the Colossal Titan to protect his friends.

I definitely don't think Reiner is his normal self and will resume the fight against the Survey Corps because, as someone else said, that's too hopeless a fight.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

In It For The Tank posted:

The theories I like the most are:
1. Eren is currently controlling Reiner because the damage dealt to Reiner's brain has left him temporarily susceptible to the coordinate.
2. The damage to Reiner's brain has caused his "soldier" personality to reassert itself and he will fight the Colossal Titan to protect his friends.

I definitely don't think Reiner is his normal self and will resume the fight against the Survey Corps because, as someone else said, that's too hopeless a fight.

I really like the 2nd theory. And then Reiner in his madness will show Eren and friends how to fight Bert's steam attack.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Sub Harrison posted:

Don't we all Erwin, don't we all.

Erwin will make it to the basement, be killed by a roof collapsing.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I seem to remember that during the very beginning of the series Eren dreams of Frieda Riese, but how could he have obtained memories of her if he didn't eat his father until after the attack is over?
I asked the same question and never really got a satisfying answer. :shrug:

Best someone could offer is Frieda visiting him as a kid, since his father was a friend (?) and then wiping his memory afterward

Jackard fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 9, 2016

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

When they finally reach the basement, the next chapter better be a Terrance and Phillip style gently caress you to the fans.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Evil Canadian posted:

When they finally reach the basement, the next chapter better be a Terrance and Phillip style gently caress you to the fans.

It's just empty

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

change my name posted:

It's just empty

the basement was inside us all along

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

logikv9 posted:

the basement was inside us all along

Inside us is also empty.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

change my name posted:

Would it even really matter if they were somehow. They would just get punted like Eren did.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Asuron posted:

Would it even really matter if they were somehow. They would just get punted like Eren did.

You ever step on a Lego?

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
And where did all the Survey Corps members riding with Erwin, weren't they all supposed to be killed by Monkey Trouble's oh-so-wonderful grapeshot baseball thing. Ha! I knew last chapter raised the stakes too high.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Monocled Falcon posted:

And where did all the Survey Corps members riding with Erwin, weren't they all supposed to be killed by Monkey Trouble's oh-so-wonderful grapeshot baseball thing. Ha! I knew last chapter raised the stakes too high.

There were two groups, the ones on the buildings fighting the titans who got decimated in the first rock barrage and the ones looking after the horses which were the recruits who were just outside of the range of the first barrage.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah they even mentioned that in the chapter, cmon son

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
But were there really that many recruits in the first place? Perhaps they did some more recruiting and I just missed it, but aren't we just dealing with whoever wasn't a main character in the 104th training corps.

Anyway, it's still like if on Voyager in the middle of episode, someone ran onto the bridge and yelled that all the redshirts are dead, and this chapter has Janeway leading all the goldshirts to their deaths. And I say Voyagers specifically because it isn't even possible for the Survey Corps to go to a starbase and get more recruits.

BUT, I actually getting a little excited now, it was a clever trap and this plan is a clever way out of it. It blows Leloch and Inaho'a overly complicated micromanagement away.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
They had a big recruitment drive prior to going on this suicide mission.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Monocled Falcon posted:

But were there really that many recruits in the first place? Perhaps they did some more recruiting and I just missed it, but aren't we just dealing with whoever wasn't a main character in the 104th training corps.

There actually was a big effort to get more recruits a few chapters ago. A significant focus of the post-revolution propaganda was encouraging people to sign up for the Survey Corp, and several members of the Military Police have also joined.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Has this series lost its edge? I just genuinely ask since reading this monthly without ever rereading it's a bit foggy keeping track of things. What I mean is I'm surprised to see people like "man, X probably won't die" and "huh, the odds of Y happening? No way, it'd be TOO hopeless!"
I guess it's naive of me but I honestly keep expecting a "basically most everyone dies, all your sacrifices were futile" ending to this battle
I mean if it feels like anyone has "plot armor" (as in it feels less likely for story purposes that this guy will die) it's Monkey Trouble, but maybe Attack on Titan isn't that series anymore? Or is it? Like I said I've never doubled back so a lot of stuff just becomes vague memory

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Has this series lost its edge? I just genuinely ask since reading this monthly without ever rereading it's a bit foggy keeping track of things. What I mean is I'm surprised to see people like "man, X probably won't die" and "huh, the odds of Y happening? No way, it'd be TOO hopeless!"
I guess it's naive of me but I honestly keep expecting a "basically most everyone dies, all your sacrifices were futile" ending to this battle
I mean if it feels like anyone has "plot armor" (as in it feels less likely for story purposes that this guy will die) it's Monkey Trouble, but maybe Attack on Titan isn't that series anymore? Or is it? Like I said I've never doubled back so a lot of stuff just becomes vague memory

I think at this point, many people are just thoroughly frustrated with the story and how it does things

I know I am

It's nothing new, though. We know this REALLY isn't a kill-em-all series from the start, and that's fine, but it's getting ridiculous next to the meatgrinder for redshirts. It gets especially awkward when a squad is led into an explicit suicide attack, and your FIRST thought is "I bet Erwin's gonna live". At this point, it feels like mockery. And seriously, does ANYONE buy that Hange is dead? No-one.

Now, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that the story hinges on how many actual main characters are butchered. That'd be a ridiculous thing to demand from a story. Nah, it just gets weird with how crazy lethal the setting is depicted. But I feel like it's high time there actually IS death that impacts the main cast (smart money's on Reiner and Erwin), so who knows. I'll keep reading.

Also, most characters are poo poo, the speeches suck and I hate how the eyes are drawn

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's true, the art is pretty bad. And I agree that most of the cast don't really get the chance to be, well, people. But I feel like the constant focus on how AoT is or isn't as hardcore as it's made out to be is missing the forest for the trees.

If this expedition ends in a failure with all sacrifices rendered futile, the net result would basically be the story spinning its wheels and nothing ever progressing. At which point attempts to solve the current running mystery would be even more of a self-parody than it already is. A lack of a real resolution would be even worse of a cop out than failing to kill any named characters because it would mean the author was too scared of losing this cash cow series to commit to actually resolving the story.

And even if they do reach the basement and it turns out to be a "princess in another castle situation" then it'd probably be safe to write this series off for good.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
The art is actually pretty decent now. When it started it was pretty awful but the artist has improved tremendously and the author has a real eye for character movement.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
honestly the annoying thing is that in the past 4 months or so only like 20 minutes have elapsed in the AoT world

4 months to see a continuation of no progress other than "hey guys I think it's actually hopeless this time"

"no wait guys this time it's actually hopeless"

"actually it's this time"

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

HoneyBoy posted:

honestly the annoying thing is that in the past 4 months or so only like 20 minutes have elapsed in the AoT world

4 months to see a continuation of no progress other than "hey guys I think it's actually hopeless this time"

"no wait guys this time it's actually hopeless"

"actually it's this time"

Are you actually reading the manga? Because if you're going to ignore everything besides them reaching the basement in the last four chapters ( which is a given once everything here is said and done, at the very least we're going to learn what Monkey Troubles deal is), then yeah you'd be right.

It'd be like if someone read One Piece and declared nothing was happening within the story because every chapter is not about making progress towards that goal. That's not the only important thing in the story and neither is the basement, especially with what's happening right now in AoT.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
gently caress the basement look at everything else

the coffee cups were discovered
reiner got hosed up by spears
bert fell on everyone
Eren got kicked and monkey trouble shotgunned everyone with rocks
recruits got killed and now we're here

that took like what, 4 months to cover?

and in those 4 months of issues that was only like 12 pages of those things actually happening, everything else was the characters reflecting about their decisions before actually deciding anything

poo poo is just not interesting to read

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

HoneyBoy posted:

bert fell on everyone

and in those 4 months of issues that was only like 12 pages of those things actually happening, everything else was the characters reflecting about their decisions before actually deciding anything

Not going to lie, I think Attack on Titan is less suspenseful and dramatic than the likes of Prison School, literally a gross-out sex comedy in the vein of American Pie or There's Something About Mary. A lot of that is in the skill of pacing and the art of establishing and refreshing of stakes and expectations, but it's telling that the mood of discussion in a major battle is kind of subdued. Almost disinterested, even.

If Levi fails to take out Magilla Gorilla next month I'll probably chuckle and maybe play a youtube of a sitcom 'womp womp.'

"That's our Attack on Titan!" *cue laugh track*

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

HoneyBoy posted:

bert fell on everyone

Once again, you're actually ignoring what's actually happening in the chapters by throwing out one liner sentences as if that's all that was happening. You ignore character moments like Armins nervous breakdown during a crucial period, the flow of the battle and the tense sequence of events where the characters are trying to both figure out what the oppositions plans are and trying to enact theirs, you ignore Berts character moments where he seems to finally shed his feelings towards his comrades and so on.

If you don't like that kind've stuff fine, but don't pretend things aren't happening, especially when you only seem to focus on the action parts as if that's all that mattered.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
80 chapters into the series it's loving dumb to be enthralled by "ooh maybe they're not the bad guys after all" for the 50th time

Maybe I'm just not into treading the same territory every other month but w/e

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Monocled Falcon posted:

Anyway, it's still like if on Voyager in the middle of episode, someone ran onto the bridge and yelled that all the redshirts are dead, and this chapter has Janeway leading all the goldshirts to their deaths. And I say Voyagers specifically because it isn't even possible for the Survey Corps to go to a starbase and get more recruits.

BUT, I actually getting a little excited now, it was a clever trap and this plan is a clever way out of it. It blows Leloch and Inaho'a overly complicated micromanagement away.

Yeah, the Survey Corps is completely out-gunned by the Ape Titan and the best that Erwin can come up is a suicide charge and hope that Levi is baller enough to do a Smokin Sick Style aerial combos all the way to the Ape Titan. If the government didn't suppressed technologies like the airship balloons, maybe the situation won't be completely lopsided for the regular non-Shifter humans.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

HoneyBoy posted:

bert fell on everyone

I have to agree with that. It reminds me of the worst endless fights in Dragon Ball, like when Freeza or someone else shot something at the planet so it was going to blow up in 15 minutes and those 15 minutes lasted for like 6 months

In last chapter for ex:
- our heroes tried an attack on Colossal, failed
- Armored goes up
- Erwin comes up with a plan

And that's it. 45 pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

HoneyBoy posted:

bert fell on everyone

Welcome to manga?

"4 months worth of issues" aren't two dozen of issues. It's just 4 issues. And they were more actiony chapters, so the plot advances more slowly, there are pages that are just kicking and hitting, and people dying. And manga in general more uses a more visual / cinematic style than western comics, so in the same number of pages they advance less story, usually.

So yeah, the publication advances slowly, but that doesn't mean the plot advances that slowly. If you don't like it, you can stop reading it and wait until it's finished and read the entire series in three days, then you will notice the characters were toppling the old regime not a long time ago. Just because we read it 18 months ago it doesn't mean it was 18 months ago for the characters.

It's what I do with 80% of the mangas I read, in fact. I have a long list of interesting-looking seinen to read, and every x months I look if any of them have finished.
Manga is produced very slowly, more this kind of seinen-action manga. 1 month for one chapter that you just read in 6 minutes.
I wish SnK could have more pages per month, true, it's a bit short in comparison with some other monthly mangas (which in exchange have a much better drawing!). But it also could be slow like Berserk or HxH, so I can't complain.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 11, 2016