Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Azathoth posted:

Even talking about "gnosticism" as a single coherent set of beliefs is fraught. Aside from the teachings being secret or otherwise reserved for the initiated, it's really hard (and maybe impossible) to come up with a single definition of gnosticism that covers the range of groups labeled gnostic that doesn't also just straight up include early Christianity. A focus on an inner spiritual life isn't exactly a feature unique to gnostic groups.

Prurient Squid posted:

For Bird in particular.

I just realised that Plotinus' conception of the cosmos is ordered into 3. The One, The Intellect and The Soul. Also Hegel's philosophy was a series of nested triads.
9 = 3x3. So maybe there's some number mysticism going on.

these two conversation streams are working hard to describe the enduring influence of the neoplatonic demiurge w/o specifically mentioning it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Inspired by the last comment I dipped back into The Enneads.

There seems to be a distinction between divine intelligence which is spontaneous and apprehends everything immediately as what it is and human reason which is discoursive, wrestles with logic and doubt and tends to produce "doxa" which is doctrine, dogma and opinion. Very interesting.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I have only a passing familiarity with numerology / numerical associations within mysticism but three seems to have been considered an efficacious sacred number for basically ever. Triads and tripartite Deities are all over the place in pagan religions. Nine being three threes makes sense for also being a powerful number then, I guess.

Regarding the Enneads specifically, I actually read something recently which made me think of you / our conversation about them and the way Porphyry was possibly in part making an allusion to the Egyptian Enneads with that title. I didn't copy this into this thread at the time because it is long and would have been a bit out of the blue.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Drawing Down the Moon posted:

Iamblichus and his predecessors Porphyry and Plotinus represent the first set of Platonic thinkers who show an interest in what Iamblichus calls ‘theurgy.’ While the ideas of Middle Platonists such as Plutarch of Charoneia (46–120 CE), Apuleius of Madauros (c. 124–170 CE), and Numenius of Apamea (end of second century CE) provide parallels with the Chaldaean Oracles, the philosophy of Plotinus (205–269/270 CE) is generally taken to represent the shift from the understanding of Plato that characterized Middle Platonism to the complex systems of Neoplatonic thought. Plotinus shows an interest in ideas and techniques that resemble those of theurgy, although he never mentions the term, and modern scholars have debated whether he knew of the Chaldaean Oracles and theurgic practices.9 Plotinus’s pupil Porphyry (232–305 CE) wrote his master’s biography and arranged his works, but he also wrote a large number of treatises himself, including a study of Philosophy Drawn from Oracles, in which he apparently argued that (his brand of) Platonic philosophy was embedded in oracles that provide revelations from the gods themselves. This lost work survives in copious quotations by the Christian apologist Eusebius, who attacks the revelations from pagan gods and the whole system Porphyry derives from them. Another work of Porphyry’s, an attack on Christianity in fifteen books, was burned in 448 CE by order of Christian emperors, and almost nothing survives. Porphyry is said to have been the teacher of his younger contemporary Iamblichus (250–325 CE), and Iamblichus frames his de Mysteriis, the most important work on the theory of theurgy, as a response to Porphyry’s questions about theurgy.10

There's a bunch more if you want to follow the quote back through, it was a whole section on Greco-Roman theurgy and Neoplatonism.

Prurient Squid posted:

There seems to be a distinction between divine intelligence which is spontaneous and apprehends everything immediately as what it is and human reason which is discoursive, wrestles with logic and doubt and tends to produce "doxa" which is doctrine, dogma and opinion. Very interesting.

Anecdotally, last year I began to learn to read tarot cards and now that I have some familiarity and confidence with them your description here reminded me strongly of the way interpreting the cards now sometimes occurs for me. When I started I had to think about each individual card meaning every time and carefully build the communication I felt I was receiving through them, like putting letter tiles into place in a board game. I would reason through each one to try to understand what I felt was being said to me through them. Now, often, when I lay out cards I glance at them and as you say, I experience a moment of spontaneous understanding of the communication. I can then break down that spontaneous understanding by identifying each symbol and meaning independently, but when I do that it paradoxically becomes harder to correctly convey to others what I am seeing, now that my discursive mind is involved and is overanalyzing and reinterpreting and second guessing what had originally been delivered in a moment of seemingly perfect knowledge.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Nemo Somen posted:

Based on my understanding of Christian Gnosticism, my interpretation of one of the major issues the (what would become) Church would probably be that Gnosticism sort of sets up a (what sounds suspiciously polytheistic) system where only special people have access to God's Truth and can thus be saved. If the Gospel of Mark was any indication, that's the opposite of what the early Church believed (i.e. that God is available to all). So I can understand why the early Church would be aggressive with opposing Gnosticism, including the other challenges Christian Gnosticism would offer them.

Oh yeah, I was going to inquire after this post too. When you say "only special people have access to God's Truth and thus can be saved" are you referring to this line of thinking? Quote obtained from BRD's big post last page.

quote:

Man can be saved from the powers of the demiurge, of him who creates the world. But not all men are able to be saved. There are three classes of human beings: the pneumatikoi, i. e. , the Spirituals; the psychikoi, those who follow the soul; and the sarkikoi, those who follow the flesh. The sarkikoi are lost; the Spiritual ones are saved; but the middle group, the psychikoi, can go this way or that way. In order to reach the elevation, man must participate in the mysteries.

I ask because I think I would disagree with your analysis there, if so. If one wanted to look at this passage from a wholly Christian perspective, those three classes would be like, Christ's faithful disciples; and the people who wish to learn his teachings but have not yet had opportunity to learn them; and those who reject his teachings completely ("it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle," right?). What the Gnostic gospels like the Book of Thomas seemed intended to do was help a person advance upon the path of esoteric wisdom, again, that internal Divine, while Christianity today is much more exoteric and "the mysteries" have been excised and labeled magic, mysticism, and heresy.

e: lmao I just realized my copy of The Nag Hammadi Scriptures has an introduction by Pagels.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 30, 2024

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

, while Christianity today is much more exoteric and "the mysteries" have been excised and labeled magic, mysticism, and heresy.

Nominalism the reason for that, and only some Christian denominations are nominalist.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sure, but you know what they say about bad apples. A couple pages ago it was decided that Christianity doesn't actually proscribe divination, right? But if the prevailing perception is that it does, then functionally, for many many people, it does.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Sure, but you know what they say about bad apples. A couple pages ago it was decided that Christianity doesn't actually proscribe divination, right? But if the prevailing perception is that it does, then functionally, for many many people, it does.

I used to spend a lot of time arguing about it in D&D. Here’s the thing, there are a lot of nominalist evangelicals. Instead of ideas having reality, the things they believe in they consider them materially real. Many of these people leave Christianity and they’re still nominalists. They just have removed some things from the set they thought materially existed. Both the evangelical nominalist and the atheist nominalist are still going to look a divination in the same way.

It’s modernity. Though that’s arguably our fault as well.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I just remembered that Hegel considered Dialectic to be Negative Reason and Speculation to be Positive Reason. Now that I understand the definition of Reason as discursive that makes more sense.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Nominalism the reason for that, and only some Christian denominations are nominalist.

Wait, hang on. Surely almost every single Christian denomination has some level of discussion about what counts as mysticism and what is "bad ideas" as it were?

Also I am enjoying the Gnostic discussion, but one of the things I find most interesting about it is the idea that somehow it ends up in flipping Provence of all places having been exised from Christianity in the early years. Most likely something that looks a bit like Gnostic ideas takes hold and you end up with local clerics deciding "this is the same thing as PAST BAD THING".

That and, ultimately, the idea of the material as being made wrong on purpose by someone who is a bit of a dick seems to make more sense than the idea that it was made by an omnipotence who wants us all to be happy but [insert problems here] keeps happening because [insert which answer you want to the problem of evil you want here]

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 30, 2024

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Wait, hang on. Surely almost every single Christian denomination has some level of discussion about what counts as mysticism and what is "bad ideas" as it were?

It’s not about good or bad. It’s about what is thought to actually have existence and reality.

But then following that is an assertion is that belief in things unreal is bad.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Josef bugman posted:

That and, ultimately, the idea of the material as being made wrong on purpose by someone who is a bit of a dick seems to make more sense than the idea that it was made by an omnipotence who wants us all to be happy but [insert problems here] keeps happening because [insert which answer you want to the problem of evil you want here]
One major reason I'm attracted to poly/pantheism so much is that it is a much more compelling explanation of the problem of evil (and good) than any monotheist religion I've ever encountered. Parts of the world are good because some of the gods are nice. Other parts are bad because some of the gods are assholes. (Plus of course, all beings having free will.) That feels a lot better to me than "your omnibenevolent, omnipotent creator made you bad and wrong on purpose, to teach some lesson or as part of some grand plan for the universe". I don't need or want that stuff to give mythic resonance to my suffering.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I used to spend a lot of time arguing about it in D&D. Here’s the thing, there are a lot of nominalist evangelicals. Instead of ideas having reality, the things they believe in they consider them materially real. Many of these people leave Christianity and they’re still nominalists. They just have removed some things from the set they thought materially existed. Both the evangelical nominalist and the atheist nominalist are still going to look a divination in the same way.

It’s modernity. Though that’s arguably our fault as well.
Can you unpack a little more on nominalism here, because given the topic you're describing I think I get it but I want to kind of be sure.

I would certainly agree that there are plenty of people who grow up conservative American-style Christians, later snip out the 'Christian' part and even perhaps much of the 'conservative' part, but keep the other parts of the framework and get very mad when things go against them.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Alright I am getting baptized tonight. Any last minute preparations I should make at the recommendation of the religion thread, for goons?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

NomChompsky posted:

Alright I am getting baptized tonight. Any last minute preparations I should make at the recommendation of the religion thread, for goons?
Make sure you drive safely both TO and FROM the site. While you may have slightly less to worry about on the return trip, Bob will no doubt miss you.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

NomChompsky posted:

Don’t do what I did and become so overwhelmed at the realization that you are completely free of sin that you softly, but audibly, whisper “Holy poo poo!”

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
welcome to da club

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hey if jews don't do baptism then what was John up to

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Killingyouguy! posted:

Hey if jews don't do baptism then what was John up to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_baptism

quote:

Although the term "baptism" is not used to describe the Jewish rituals, the purification rites in Halakha, Jewish law and tradition, called tvilah, have some similarity to baptism, and the two have been linked. The tvilah is the act of immersion in naturally sourced water, called a mikva.[2][unreliable source?][3] In the past Hebrew Bible and other Jewish texts, immersion in water for ritual purification was established for restoration to a condition of "ritual purity" in specific circumstances. For example, Jews who (according to the Law of Moses) became ritually defiled by contact with a corpse had to use the mikvah before being allowed to participate in the Holy Temple. Immersion is required for converts to Judaism.[4] Immersion in the mikvah represents a change in status in regards to purification, restoration, and qualification for full religious participation in the life of the community, ensuring that the cleansed person will not impose uncleanness on property or its owners.[5][non-primary source needed][6] It did not become customary,[7] however, to immerse converts to Judaism until after the Babylonian Captivity (586–539 BCE).[8] This change of status by the mikvah could be obtained repeatedly, while Christian baptism, like circumcision, is, in the general view of Christians, unique and not repeatable.[9] Even the so-called rebaptism by some Christian denominations is not seen by them as a repetition of an earlier valid baptism and is viewed by them as not itself repeatable.[citation needed]

During the Second Temple period (c. 516 BCE–70 CE), the Greek noun baptmos was used to refer to ritual washing in Hellenistic Judaism.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It’s not about good or bad. It’s about what is thought to actually have existence and reality.

But then following that is an assertion is that belief in things unreal is bad.

Surely that is Materialism though, not nominalism? Nominalism implies that something named is true/not true?

Orbs posted:

One major reason I'm attracted to poly/pantheism so much is that it is a much more compelling explanation of the problem of evil (and good) than any monotheist religion I've ever encountered. Parts of the world are good because some of the gods are nice. Other parts are bad because some of the gods are assholes. (Plus of course, all beings having free will.) That feels a lot better to me than "your omnibenevolent, omnipotent creator made you bad and wrong on purpose, to teach some lesson or as part of some grand plan for the universe". I don't need or want that stuff to give mythic resonance to my suffering.

Some people do and want to know why the suffering is more personal and like the idea of the deity suffering with them. The problem is the idea that 1) This much and 2) But that doesn't explain X.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nessus posted:

Can you unpack a little more on nominalism here, because given the topic you're describing I think I get it but I want to kind of be sure.

I would certainly agree that there are plenty of people who grow up conservative American-style Christians, later snip out the 'Christian' part and even perhaps much of the 'conservative' part, but keep the other parts of the framework and get very mad when things go against them.

So ask a question like what are angels and demons? In a realist sense they can be abstracts or ideas or lesser powers of being or lower emanations, etc. In a nominalist sense these have to be things if they are real: "there is nothing general except names". They have to be phenomenon and not noumenon.

They just add the religious things to the not really a phenomenon thus not real category when they convert to atheism. An angel merely goes from being a thing one might observe to something not in reality that can’t be observed or encountered physically.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Surely that is Materialism though, not nominalism? Nominalism implies that something named is true/not true?

Nominalism there are no essences or universals. Basically the same conversation and sometimes it’s materialist / idealists. It just depends on the context of participants in the discussion.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Josef bugman posted:

Some people do and want to know why the suffering is more personal and like the idea of the deity suffering with them. The problem is the idea that 1) This much and 2) But that doesn't explain X.
I mean if it works for them, more power to them. But it seems to cause a whole lot of other people in the world quite a bit of distress.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I found a Marx quote that is relevant.

"Materialism is the born son of Britain. Even one of his great schoolmen, Duns Scotus, asked himself ‘whether matter cannot think.’ In performing this wonder, Duns had recourse to God’s omnipotence, that is, he made theology itself preach materialism. He was, moreover, Nominalist. Nominalism is one of the main elements of the English materialists, as it is indeed the first expression of materialism in Christian Europe."

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Nominalism there are no essences or universals. Basically the same conversation and sometimes it’s materialist / idealists. It just depends on the context of participants in the discussion.

I suspect that I'd plumb on the side of Materialism, if only because believing in a universal or essences seems to be none provable and only having an effect based on the belief in them.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Duns Scotus is a realist though.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Then either Marx was mistaken or there's some kind of nuance I'm not picking up on to do with what it means to consider universals "real".

By the way I'm really digging The Enneads. The problem is I haven't actually made it to the text! Having made it through a note by Mackenna on Plotinus' language I now have to read a note on Plotinus' role in history by some other guy. But I'm enjoying it all the same. I think it's time to switch from A Course in Miracles an focus on The Enneads for a while.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
i think Marxian historical materialism is different than the whole theological discussion here

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

So angels either have to be physically observable (if presumably very subtle) or totally imaginary, and imaginary concepts are not considered things of any kind? (Or are just neurological patterns rather than something exterior). Is that rightish?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

why does every thread i read eventually turn to the subject of gnostic marxism

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

i think Marxian historical materialism is different than the whole theological discussion here

I mean yes but it is still a Materialism. It rests on the existence of things as they are.

Squizzle posted:

I mean the Gnostics have a very strongly critical element to them. Bogomilists are at least part of it I suspect.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 30, 2024

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Don’t do what I did and become so overwhelmed at the realization that you are completely free of sin that you softly, but audibly, whisper “Holy poo poo!”

Well, gently caress.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Thirteen Orphans posted:

lmfao

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Squizzle posted:

the Monad is the base and the Demiurge is the superstructure

Josef bugman posted:

I mean yes but it is still a Materialism. It rests on the existence of things as they are.

I mean the Gnostics have a very strongly critical element to them. Bogomilists are at least part of it I suspect.

my understanding (which is poor, not a philosopher) is something like:
nominalism - only things in the physical/real world exist. universal concepts or abstract ideas exist only in the minds of humans, they're just names we give things and don't actually exist.
realism - universals and abstract things do exist outside of the mind of humans. Plato's forms are a good example.

Historical materialism seems related to nominalism but is pretty specifically a lens to understand human history: for Marx, social/political changes in society are driven by developments in the mode of production and exchange and the structures and class conflict that results.

edit: some googling suggests that Marx's thinking re: nominalism and realism is complex as gently caress and involves a lot of Hegel and other continental philosophy that is beyond me. so idk

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 30, 2024

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nessus posted:

So angels either have to be physically observable (if presumably very subtle) or totally imaginary, and imaginary concepts are not considered things of any kind? (Or are just neurological patterns rather than something exterior). Is that rightish?

Compare communion in Catholicism to communion in a Anabaptist denomination. It’s just a memorial or a remembrance for the Anabaptists. The bread is what it is materially. It’s species is it’s existence. Where in Catholicism it’s substance really is the body of Christ. What it is is ontologically independent of the physical bread loaf.

So when in early Christianity they are taking about angels and demons it has that context. Angel are abstracts or powers of being , ontologically independent, of the a material thing, and Origen’s cosmology is an example .

But if an Anabaptist talks about Angels, they don’t have that category, there aren’t ontologically independent abstracts, if it’s real for them it has to be a thing. That stays the same if they become an atheist. Most modern people think about it like the Anabapists example even if they aren’t Anabaptist or a similar denomination.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Because, ultimately, it makes more sense in terms of what needs doing/thinking about.

I think this might be one of the problems of Idealism in that it has to compete with things that effect the world in more immediate ways.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 30, 2024

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Because, ultimately, it makes more sense in terms of what needs doing/thinking about.

I think this might be one of the problems of Idealism in that it has to compete with things that effect the world in more immediate ways.

Well no it didn’t. And they’re not consistent about it.

It’s incredibly useful to think in terms of abstract universals that exist ontologically independent of material things. And you might even do it!

Does math have any objective truth ? If you say yes then you are treating math as an ontologically independent abstract that exists. No ,then it’s just a construction, an incredibly useful one, but not independently true. There’s also a middle roads where it’s a construction and but one that’s points to an ontologically independent abstract, and that’s what I think Marx is getting at with quote about Duns Scotus.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
https://twitter.com/_F_B_G_/status/1717140151804014641

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Does math have any objective truth ? If you say yes then you are treating math as an ontologically independent abstract that exists. No ,then it’s just a construction, an incredibly useful one, but not independently true. There’s also a middle roads where it’s a construction and but one that’s points to an ontologically independent abstract, and that’s what I think Marx is getting at with quote about Duns Scotus.

Eh, more thinking "is this practicable". Angels are not, and appear to not, have any impact on what occurs on the planet. Therefore it doesn't require you to believe in them because they are none material.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Let’s get very abstract.

One can look at a system of real objects. One can write down a statement about those objects as a system, that cannot be solved as it is written. Using a pattern one can turn that statement into another statement, that does not describe the physical system. From those second statement I can create controls that I can control what happens in the physical system with.

1) What am I describing?
2) Do the statements (either) have ontologically independent truth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Can you provide examples. Because it's 11 at night and I've had a beer to celebrate being off work for the next two and a half weeks and I don't think I quite get what you are aiming at.