Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

SL the Pyro posted:

What do you suppose April Fools' jokes are like in the city?

Messing with someone's watch. "What do you mean, it's a quarter past three?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SL the Pyro posted:

The same as in our world but with a significant body count attached to it.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

SL the Pyro posted:

Well, do you remember the Thousand Needles incident early in the story? :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SL the Pyro posted:

I swear to god, this thread never stops delivering. :allears:

Who says they remember what april is?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It's all Smarch these days.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
We actually saw what Project Moon considers an April Fool's joke yesterday, for whatever that's worth.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
And it was good enough that I consider it canon.

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022

KobunFan posted:

And it was good enough that I consider it canon.

Now we know who's the poster girl of Limbus Company, and Dante was forever traumatized by that discovery.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
There was never a post here.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 3, 2023

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
This is the Ruina LP thread, you want the games thread I think. :v:

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Ah so it is, whoops.

Looking forward to you punching a iPhone man in the face in any case.

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022

TeeQueue posted:

This is the Ruina LP thread, you want the games thread I think. :v:

Sorry.

Just felt like following up on the subject.

BTW, is there any Assistant with some confirmed ties to J, K or N Corp?

Arraxis
Jul 10, 2012

SL the Pyro posted:

Something to do with clowns, surely. Or maybe it's a day where everyone's nice to each other, because only a fool would be nice to another without expecting something else in return.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

SL the Pyro posted:

The Sweepers come out an hour early that day.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'd be more scared of whatever abomination comes out to play as Santa or the Easter bunny.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Omobono posted:

I'd be more scared of whatever abomination comes out to play as Santa or the Easter bunny.

Needless to say, if you find a strange brightly-coloured egg hidden away somewhere, do not touch it.

Meanwhile if a fat man can get into your house through the chimney you never had a chance in the first place.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 4, 2023

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Book 40: Cane Office—Chapter 2

Music: GuestBattle01

Since it's a 3-on-3, what're you going to be doing, Robin?

I'll be watching you guys from above with Yesod's team. It's a shame… I thought my build would compliment what you guys were doing.

I still don't see the point of this, old man.

We have new tools. We should test them out to ensure we fully understand them.

I get that…

I'm asking why you can't button up your shirt.

I've tried several times. The button simply refuses to stay set.

Wow. Cheap tailor.

Not necessarily. There are some clothes that are all about aesthetics instead of function. These probably came from someone who cared as much about style as substance.

There are those who place their faith in appearances. To them, branding can be every bit as important as life itself.

I guess that'd explain why they died in a place like this.

Today's reception is a simple 3v3 affair, with three of our members facing off against the Cane Office trio we met before. Unlike the largely homogenous Liu, each member of the Cane Office has very distinct abilities.

For instance, Nemo. At emotion level 2 or higher, whenever Nemo gains Charge they'll get a +1 Endurance and Strength on the next turn, in addition to a random +1 Strength from Unstable Charge and the +2 Power on single-die pages from Singular Strike. He's also quite difficult to defeat, both because of Deflect Assault to blunt a die from a one-sided attack and because of Emergency Resuscitation Protocol. This Nemo-unique passive completely negates the first attack that would kill them, then drains their Charge to 0 and recovers 5 HP per stack spent.

Martina, meanwhile, is based around dealing bonus Stagger damage. She gets a +1 Power to Pierce dice and the same Charge bonus power that Nemo does, but the most notable thing here is actually Lone Fixer. We don't want to leave her for last.

Lastly, there's Bada. Bada gains Protection after using Charge in addition to the +1 Endurance and Strength, and Margin will keep his Light up and his hand able to play more pages. He's focused on dealing lots of damage, and his tiny deck means he'll be whipping out his big pages much more often than normal.

The three of them fulfill different roles, have very different decktypes, and do a pretty ok job working as a coherent unit—and we're using an incomplete floor, so we can't fall back on E.G.O. This might actually be a fair fight.

Music: HokmaBattle01

Why hello there, friends! We're just here to take those books and shimmy on out of here.

We're aware of your circumstances. Unfortunately, we're not to let you leave alive.

There are always exceptions, aren't there? Perhaps if we greased those palms a bit…

We have no need for money in this place.

Hahah! Well, that puts us in a bind, doesn't it?!

I wasn't expecting to deal with all this hippie stuff, after all! First that poncy fop outside, and now you ancient beatnicks! Money is the only thing that matters, don't you know it?!

…He's gotten really angry again…

As long as he's focusing it on them, it's not our problem.

I'm going to show you clodpolls what money can really do! Crush them all!

Uncanny Strike is Martina's signature attack, and it's always a welcome sight when she doesn't have any Charge—the lead Pierce die is large, and if it hits us then she'll spend up to 6 Charge on dealing bonus Stagger Damage, 6 of it for each 2 Charge spent.

Her other page, Energy Shield, gives 3 Charge on use, and 1 more if the first Block die loses its Clash. If this page went off before her Uncanny Strike she would be able to use its effect, but since it's coming later in the turn we don't have to worry about it yet.

Bada is also throwing out an Energy Shield, but also has Absorb Impact on hand. This 2-cost gives 6 Charge, no questions asked. He'll be able to throw out whatever he likes next turn.

As for Nemo, they're leading with A Golden Opportunity!, a page which gives 5 Charge immediately and has an Evade die on the front with +2 more Charge per Clash win. If this die eats a 3-die offensive page Nemo can go from 0 to 10 instantly, but since it's only got one attack we can ignore it.

Their second attack, Energy Conversion, is a very good Light regeneration page for Charge decks. By using 4 Charge, Energy Conversion will restore 3 Light—and no matter if this is done or not, the first die is an On Hit draw effect. Because Nemo's first die is A Golden Opportunity!, they'll be able to activate the Light regeneration effect without a problem.

I've gotten the information you requested, Hokma.

Splendid. And?

Each one of their bodies is filled to the brim with top-of-the-line modifications. They're also armed with high-end weaponry. Expect unusual attack vectors.

So we're looking at more things like this leg I have, huh? Sounds interesting.

Just play it careful out there, kiddos.

Gotcha. I'll see if I can draw out what they're hiding.

…Aha. I knew you seemed a little off.

So you charged into a trap of your own accord?

I'll send you a proper greeting, then.

Geez… that packed a punch.

Not enough of one, clearly. You were supposed to be dead.

Seems like they weren't all they were cracked up to be, after all! The Liu, the Thumb, all of them were just unprepared bastards in the end!

You seem to know quite a bit.

Staying on top of current events is vital to make the big bucks! It gave me the foresight to bring countermeasures for each of those groups that became books here.

The groups by themselves, yeah… We go above and beyond around here!

The Index's skills, with the penetration of one of the Thumb's former subsidiaries. Martina, did you get that?

…Yeah…

The highest threat's probably… either her, or the old man…

Oh my, did you see how her suitcase is filled with disjointed spikes? I'll definitely have to write this down.

You still haven't put that book down?

It's an exercise in practicing human sentimentality. In a normal, human manner.

I've scratched her. We need to buy just a bit more time, you two.

The price on time is a lot higher than you can pay! But if you'd like to set aside some books as collateral, I wouldn't mind drawing up a nice contract for you!

Like I'd trust any contract a shyster like you'd write up.

I'm making a good offer here, you poo poo-for-brains! All the time in the world for prep, and we just need a little information in return!

Definitely not interested.

Prez's gotten even madder…

This entire affair's turned into a massive hassle.

Well… that was unpleasant, but we're ready to go.

Our entire build today relies on Lean, Bloody Wings to work. While Talow and Morgan provide support with Combat Preparation, Hokma will be using incredibly chunky Block dice to deal a lot of damage to the enemy while remaining relatively safe himself.

…Well. That's a problem.

What? That you noticed they were targeting me, and you're conveniently too slow to stop them?

Come on, old man… We both know I wouldn't do that on purpose. This is kismet.

You two are both going to be taking some lumps this turn… just do what you can.

Of the attacks coming our way this turn, the most important to block is Devastating Thrash. On top of having a trio of powerful dice, Bada can spend 4 Charge to give each of them a further +2 Power. Since he's also got a +1 Strength from Unstable Charge, this will put these dice at a +3 Power this turn, letting Bada output an absurd amount of damage very quickly.

Both of Nemo's attacks, meanwhile, are Ready Up! While the protection it provides could take the edge off of our attacks if Nemo had charge, they're stuck at 1 and so we don't have to worry about anything but the attack die.

Alright then! We ignore the useless one and focus down the real threats. I've got a fat bonus for you if you bring me their head without any casualties on our side.

Trying to avoid casualties? How unexpectedly caring of a money-grubber like yourself.

Training new fixers of our capacity is just too expensive for him.

Should you be bad-mouthing your boss like that?

I don't believe you have any room to talk, Talow.

Bad-mouthing him?

There's nothing wrong with it! I treat my crew right, because finding good help is so hard these days! It's much cheaper to just make sure the good folk I have are well-compensated!

…Actually, there was a new office chair I was saving up for anyways, so…

It's a win-win for us both. Wouldn't you say?

I'll do my best, Prez…

Not so fast, Martina. I've got things I'd like as well.

Taking it as a given that you've won, I see.

It was clear from the moment our weapons clashed. We're not in the same league.

And so, you look ahead to the future without a care in the world.

Your faith is misplaced, and your eyes can no longer contain what's right in front of you.

The hell are these spikes..?

Has that baseless trust you've grasped been shaken? Do you still believe us beneath you?

I do.

The third hit of Devastating Thrash is actually a combo, with Bada uppercutting his enemy into the air…

Before slamming them back to the earth.

This guy's got something like Martina's weapon. Be on the lookout for sneak attacks.

Hey, you thick-headed little beatnick… where do you think you're stabbing that thing?

Into you. You're really solid, you know?

Solid..? Solid?

Of course I'm solid! That one stab will cost more to fix than you make in five years! This is why I hate close combat!

Cheer up, sir. We've knocked this one off guard, at least…

Grand job! In that case, we'll table this old fart and return to negotiations from a position of strength!

I told you, we're not interested.

Small fry can stay out of it!

I don't have time for this… One of you two take care of this one!

Music: GuestBattle02

I've got him.

Hokma's in trouble.

Worry about yourself first. We're all in trouble if we can't pull something together fast.

Right. Let's knock these guys down a peg or two.

Gh… easier said than done, I think.

Again with that pathetic attack? It looks like it's supposed to be a Zwei tactic.

It is a Zwei tactic.

Must have been a dead-end section, then.

We're sorry to bother you when you're so busy, but things aren't going well. You should do something.

Yeah… I got it. Hokma's busted up, Talow's getting his face rolled…

But it doesn't matter, because I'm awesome!

drat… you just missed knocking her out.

Then I just won't miss next time.

Well, we're taking a few lumps but I'd say we've got this all sewn up! These numskulls couldn't hold a candle to us.

Heard that one before. That sort of talk never ends well…

You're talking like you know anything about it.

Fair enough. Maybe it works out for you.

That was my..!

Hah! I figured a good smack to the heart would make something skip somewhere. Seems like I was right!

That damned skeleton…

You've held up remarkably well while I was out.

You're about to fall over, old man. Just back off and leave the hard part to us, like always.

I shall not. I don't believe Ayin would have run away from such things. Besides… I wish to test how strong their faith in the material proves to be.

You care far too much about the thoughts of a dead man.

I could say the same of you and Carmen.

Just win.

Even while beaten half to death, you're still coming at me with the same ferocity? Do you have rocks where your brains should be or something?!

Time ticks ever onward for us all, dear guest. There is no time for hesitation or fear. Now… encompass my being in your sight. If you can.

I'll take care of him, Prez…

What the..?

Your attention alone wasn't enough. Sit there and wait for me.

Hey now, hey now! What's all this sudden competence?! Cut that poo poo out, now!

Deep in your bones, you feel it. The ever-rushing flow of time. Knowing that it may soon be up… it terrifies you.

Yes, obviously! This library is pants-shittingly terrifying! But it's not like we have any choice in the matter ourselves, you know?

Once I'm done here, I'm going to get even more money together, and make it so that blue bastard can't touch us again! T corp, that bastard, you all, the patent war to come… it'll be six or seven birds with one stone!

So get out of my way, you drat hippies!!

He's a real loudmouth, isn't he?

Ghh…ughh..!

Yeah, I feel that.

But hey, it looks like we've managed to turn things around.

You're ahead in terms of stamina, but don't get too cocky. I think they've still got some tricks up their sleeve.

Prez, Martina's probably…

I know already! What a crock of poo poo this has turned out to be after all. I can't believe the audacity of these people…

Don't they realize how costly this is all going to be to make up for afterwards? No, of course they don't. They've got poo poo for brains!

Energy Beam is Nemo's unique attack, a single massive Ranged die that can destroy an extra offensive die for 2 Charge if it wins a clash. In this situation, it's just a big stick that Nemo's Singular Strike makes hit a little bit harder than normal.

You sure you want to take so much heat, old man? You're already about to die.

Oh? Are you concerned with my well-being all of a sudden?

I think he's saying, "If you die we'd be in a tight spot… so maybe don't?"

Don't worry. I don't believe it's my time just yet in any case.

The hell it isn't, you old fart! Eat face laser!

I wonder if our goggles could do that?

Follow your dreams, kiddo.

This old body is still moving for a while longer. How about you two?

I've just finished up over here!

Drat it all, this is why you were supposed to be careful!

Tch… if I was only more competent.

There's no time to worry about that, Bada! What's done is done. We need to buck up, or we're all going to stay here forever.

Music: HokmaBattle02

And I am far too important to die in a backwater bookyard like this, understand?!

…Understood, Prez..

I shall make a gap for you all. Hammer through it.

You really are trying to get yourself killed out there.

Don't underestimate me, Talow. I've no intention of taking on more than I can carry.

Still, you're balancing on a knife edge here boss. Too much to either side…

I know the risks.

But I'm the only one who can take this shot head-on without issue.

What the bloody hell are you made of?! If I knew about a material that durable, I'd have upgraded years ago!

It's a Library special. I don't think you can buy it with money.

A place like this… What the hell were you after, you drat loony..?

Prez, I can't… anymore..!

And then there was one. Morgan, do you need any help cleaning him up?

Nah, I should have him—

The hell you do! I'm not giving the old man a single reason to complain to me later.

Well, I suppose you did contribute your fair share this time, Talow.

But?

But it's time to organize these new books. Robin, I'll see you promptly.

She headed out to join you other humans a minute or two ago.

Ultimately, the Cane Office is kind of a joke. They don't have any overpowered gimmicks, Charge requires a turn or two to set up, giving us time to focus them down, and even if she triggers Lone Fixer Martina doesn't have the offensive presence to actually down an entire floor.

I do love them, however. A+ guests, would slaughter again. :allears:

Music: Result

Ultimately… I expected more of our opponents than that.

It's best to accept victories when they come. Casualties are… unpleasant.

Still as sentimental as ever, I see.

Guess it's about time we move on as well, eh kiddos?

Coming!

In a minute, I'm writing down the part where that human's face shot a beam. It was truly something to behold!

It's really a shame that you didn't get to take the field too, Robin.

It's no big deal. I'm better as an advisor anyways.

VIDEO
Music: Lobby

Yeah. All in all, technology is the most reliable means of making money in this City. Patent wars are waged over those technologies, but in truth, neither side really benefits from them. It ends in a Pyrrhic victory at best.

If they don’t respond well, they might lose their rights to the technology by an imitation, or spend too much time and energy for the win to have been worthwhile… At the end of the day, people like the guests we just greeted profit the most from those conflicts.

Well, it’s entertaining to spectate as long as the trouble isn’t yours. I’ve got a bunch of interesting stories, wanna hear them?

Save the whole thing for a later time. It sounds like it’ll be a long tale.

…Has R Corp. participated in a patent war?

Dunno. I don’t think I heard any stories about that, at least. R Corp. is already exceptional among private military contractors.

How about the Singularity of another Wing? Has R Corp. tried to get a hold of any?

I bet every Wing thinks the same way about that matter. Few Wings use their Singularity on its own. R Corp. must be using a Singularity or two that doesn’t belong to them, you know what I mean? And they gotta pay the owners a fee whenever they use them.

If they uncovered the secrets of those Singularities owned by other Wings, they could save that expense, correct?

Spot on.

Beating Cane Office unlocks the second tier of the far right column, of course, alongside a new Abnormality Battle for Chesed. We're already at 45/48 levels required to advance in the plot; the Library's really coming along quite well at this point.

Next time, on Library of Ruina

This message cannot be displayed: ERR_MULTI_ABNO_FOUND

Angela reunites with someone she knows from outside.

An untrustworthy snake appears.

Getting back to that war we picked with the Liu.

The prescript did say 'no time limit,' but isn't this getting a little long?

Videos

Cane Office 2

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

Nemo Exclusive:

Bada Exclusive:

Martina Exclusive:

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 5, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Martina is straight up The Pale Fixer, huh?

Well, I guess the Pale Fixer wore a hat. But otherwise the aesthetic is right on.

Hope to see some of our nuggets shooting lasers out of their faces

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 4, 2023

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Someone Angela knows from the outside? That's a hard one to figure out.

I'm glad we'll see Myo again, but I'm not super happy that we'll probably turn her into a book.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Tenebrais posted:

Well, I guess the Pale Fixer wore a hat. But otherwise the aesthetic is right on.

She does have the funky-rear end briefcase attack, yeah. Yuna also had something similar with her cello case filled with knives. I wonder if it's the signature of some workshop or another to make weapons like that, or if it's just a weirdly specific archetype people use for... some reason.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
So, you notice how we haven't gotten any Offices coming in since Urban Plague? It's just been Associations. I'd say the Library's generally outside of the ability of a single Office to handle at this point. So the fact that Cane Office was even a reception at this point tells us they're a pretty big deal compared to your standard Office, I'd say. Nemo and Martina were both Grade 1, and Bada Grade 2. That's a higher average Grade than... Uh, any Reception? Yeah, no, even Liu was 1/2/3.

Wait, no, we got a Color. Okay, The Red Mist is higher than that.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Can we put a tv on a librarian

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

Slaan posted:

Can we put a tv on a librarian
Yes. You can obtain it as a Battle Symbol.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Lotta good Charge stuff here. What a shame.

New Key Pages

All three of these keypages have two passives in common - Energy Discharge and Charged Shield, which boost the strength of offensive and defensive dice when you spend or gain charge respectively. Exceptionally good passives, Discharge is basically a must-have passive for Charge keypages.

Emergency Resuscitation Protocol isn't as good as it appears. Unlike the very similar Unrelenting - which is cheaper at only 2 cost to this passive's 5 - it does not nullify damage after the lethal hit, so if you're staggered and getting smacked around like a ping-pong ball you're going to get healed up then drop straight back down again. But eh, it's better than nothing.

The only reason you'd ever use Nemo is for his unique card. Which is one hell of a reason since it's a really loving good card. Just know that you're going to be building a deck around using it.

A point of protection after you spend charge is a very nice passive to have, especially since at only 2 cost it's pretty cheap. It pairs nicely with Ready Up!, which spends charge to give everyone in the party a point of protection.

Bada's alright I guess, but I never used him.

Free stagger on winning clashes. Yum. Can't go wrong with sticking this on people.

Martina is really, really good at Staggering people. It's a real shame you get her now of all points in time.

New Combat Pages

Decent defensive card that builds a fair bit of charge. Shame you'll never ever use it.

Oooh baybee, love me some all-party buff cards. One of the best ways to stack protection in the game, this and Bada's Force Field make a very good case for some kind of charge-based Udjat team. The dice aren't half bad either - a leading block die is great for support cards like this.

Another in the vein of Absorb Impact that you will, again, never ever use.

Oooo, a very nice card. Two block dice up front - one of which is wimpy and meant to lose to build extra charge (as well as a free emotion coin!) and the other is reasonably beefy - with a cheeky little pierce die tagging along to smack someone after you block their first two attacks (and there aren't many worthwhile three-hit pages in the 0-2 cost range so it'll probably go through uncontested if you play it right). Generates a decent amount of Charge and goes very nicely in block decks, especially when paired with Charged Shield.

An absolutely incredible resource generator, four charge for two light and a card draw is a really drat good deal. There aren't many cards in the game that both generate light and draw and every one of them has some kind of caveat to their use (yes even that one, since by the time you get it most of the game is over), which makes this exceptional for a charge deck. Has a few flaws, though - charge is almost always gained or spent in multiples of 3 so using this will unbalance that (and it functionally costs 6 light due to this, with the next two uses only costing 3), and if you have four charge to spend it will burn your charge even if your Light is full.

Nemo Exclusive:
BEEEEEEEAMU! Exceptionally big number that, if it wins the clash (which it almost certainly will with those numbers) it'll give you a two for one deal and beat the next hit too. Very very good for dealing with troublesome cards, it's almost like Binah's Pillar but free to go onto any floor.

Bada Exclusive:
Exceptionally powerful when charged - three 6-10 hits for a mere 3 light is borderline unmatched so far. Has the same odd Charge cost issue as Energy Conversion, but perhaps that just means the two cards synergize with each other? Still, I never bothered with this - there's a bunch of cards that are of comparable power that don't require either building up charge beforehand or using a mediocre keypage like Bada.

Martina Exclusive:
Six charge for 18+1-2 stagger (about half of the average stagger bar when you factor in the stagger damage of the attached die) is a very good deal, especially for a card as cheap (and strong! That's a beefy first die) as this one. It's a real shame.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 4, 2023

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
I love Nemo so much, and the fact he has a freaking face laser is amazing

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
"My name is Leonard Church and you will fear my LASER FACE."

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I am going to have to disagree with Gilliam on at least one point: Absorb Impact, if for whatever reason you might be running Charge alongside Blockma, makes that leading block die super chunky. And that die being chunky to begin with means it may have a place to blunt really big leading dice, which aren't going to stop being a problem any time soon. It's a worthwhile thought for any Charge deck right now.

It's a shame.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.

GilliamYaeger posted:

New Combat Pages

Decent defensive card that builds a fair bit of charge. Shame you'll never ever use it.
HARD disagree. It's a good 2-dice card. Generally wins its clashes, provides enough Charge for anything you'd want to spend and more left over, generally good workhorse. Plus, the strong leading block die means it's great for blunting those single-die skills and smacking back harder than they wind up hitting you.

quote:

Oooh baybee, love me some all-party buff cards. One of the best ways to stack protection in the game, this and Bada's Force Field make a very good case for some kind of charge-based Udjat team. The dice aren't half bad either - a leading block die is great for support cards like this.
Eh. Weird ordering on the dice, spends charge for... *checks notes* one less damage next turn. Not worth it in your deck unless you want to pull a gimmick floor. If you want block and evade, just go with the next card.

Well. No. That's not quite being fair. The protection of a few of these stacked on top of each other could go well with Netzach. Again though, you'd have to build a floor around this one card.

quote:

Another in the vein of Absorb Impact that you will, again, never ever use.
Again, hard, hard disagree. It's real easy to stack defensive die power, especially with a few things we haven't seen yet. You can make the evade a pretty much certain win against most things and build a lot of charge while recovering your stagger resist.

quote:

An absolutely incredible resource generator, four charge for two light and a card draw is a really drat good deal. There aren't many cards in the game that both generate light and draw and every one of them has some kind of caveat to their use (yes even that one, since by the time you get it most of the game is over), which makes this exceptional for a charge deck. Has a few flaws, though - charge is almost always gained or spent in multiples of 3 so using this will unbalance that (and it functionally costs 6 light due to this, with the next two uses only costing 3), and if you have four charge to spend it will burn your charge even if your Light is full.
I'll mostly agree with this, but why would you use this at full Light? That is not when you use light-regen cards. There's no way this comes up enough to be an actual problem.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
These Cane Office cards came in real handy for me in the Burrowing Heaven and Red Mist fights.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Greenking77 posted:

I love Nemo so much, and the fact he has a freaking face laser is amazing

We met Laserface Jim and lived!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I hope one of the future guests has a skull gun.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Cane Office is a great entry point into Star of the City tier, especially since you can full-stop an enemy or two on turn 1 and focus on booking the survivor(s).

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Doobeedoo posted:

HARD disagree. It's a good 2-dice card. Generally wins its clashes, provides enough Charge for anything you'd want to spend and more left over, generally good workhorse. Plus, the strong leading block die means it's great for blunting those single-die skills and smacking back harder than they wind up hitting you.
I won't disagree. However, in normal play you'd use this card for exactly one fight, at most. Maybe two. I'm sure you can work out exactly why this gets rammed into the trash can if you think about it a little.

quote:

Eh. Weird ordering on the dice, spends charge for... *checks notes* one less damage next turn. Not worth it in your deck unless you want to pull a gimmick floor. If you want block and evade, just go with the next card.

Well. No. That's not quite being fair. The protection of a few of these stacked on top of each other could go well with Netzach. Again though, you'd have to build a floor around this one card.
While that's true, I can think of at least one use for this. Specifically having negative coin farmers survive until you can pull out Mountain of Corpses or other, more complicated red Abno card setups.

quote:

Again, hard, hard disagree. It's real easy to stack defensive die power, especially with a few things we haven't seen yet. You can make the evade a pretty much certain win against most things and build a lot of charge while recovering your stagger resist.
Same reasoning as Absorb Impact.

quote:

I'll mostly agree with this, but why would you use this at full Light? That is not when you use light-regen cards. There's no way this comes up enough to be an actual problem.
For the draw. It's just something to keep in mind, really.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

I won't disagree. However, in normal play you'd use this card for exactly one fight, at most. Maybe two. I'm sure you can work out exactly why this gets rammed into the trash can if you think about it a little.

While that's true, I can think of at least one use for this. Specifically having negative coin farmers survive until you can pull out Mountain of Corpses or other, more complicated red Abno card setups.

Same reasoning as Absorb Impact.

For the draw. It's just something to keep in mind, really.

Eh, I don't really know how to reply best without using spoilers to first and third points. Let's shelve it until then. Suffice to say, I think there's still reasons to use them.

Fair enough on the others.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Hmmm. A curious observation. One of the options was getting a single vote exactly each 30 seconds for at least several minutes, until it had same amount of votes as other option. And then it stopped. I wish I could see graph of voting history.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'd like to note something from way back that's relevant now. So, remember this small detail from Zwei?

TeeQueue posted:

That’s… That’s because this was the only place I could count on.

What about your younger brother?

My brother is… Never mind. Once again, I’m sorry for the trouble, and thanks again for the help.

So, Bada is actually San's younger brother, confirmed in the art book. The clue is the names-"Bada" is the Korean word for "sea", and "San" is the Korean word for "mountain".

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022

Tenebrais posted:

Hope to see some of our nuggets shooting lasers out of their faces

And Nemo's the Red Fixer, only his laser's in his face rather than his arm.

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022

Junpei posted:

I'd like to note something from way back that's relevant now. So, remember this small detail from Zwei?

So, Bada is actually San's younger brother, confirmed in the art book. The clue is the names-"Bada" is the Korean word for "sea", and "San" is the Korean word for "mountain".

OMG, I totally forgot about that detail.

Shame that no one brought one of his Combat Pages to this encounter. Would've been nice to see how Bada would've reacted to seeing one of his opponents use one of his brother's techniques.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

MiiNiPaa posted:

Hmmm. A curious observation. One of the options was getting a single vote exactly each 30 seconds for at least several minutes, until it had same amount of votes as other option. And then it stopped. I wish I could see graph of voting history.

Was it the Abno option? Because when I voted, that was way below old friend, but now it seems to be the top option voted for.
Do you think that kind of graph exists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
This chapter shows the flaws with Combat Preparation. While the effect is extremely strong, actually trying to clash with it will always end up with taking a hit. To mitigate it, I tend to clash it with an enemy card with a leading defensive die, or otherwise just use it on the highest speed die if the librarian in question is going before the attack that'd hit them to queue up the defensive dice for the clash.

The other problem is that it doesn't really work that well with a smaller team. The best part of it is the aoe effect after all. The power with only 3 active librarians is severely curtailed, both from the lack of targets and users.

The enemies kind of show that charge is really more of a player-based effect. The AI as shown will freely use cards that require charge without the actual charge. Plus their charge generating cards with two defensive dice are better in player hands, since when they're using it, you have the option to straight up ignore the attack.