Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

I cannot get the "x or y" thing to work with mine. We tried it yesterday for something, and it was pretty hilarious:

"X or Y?"
Kid: "No!"
"You need to pick one. X or Y?'
Kid: Looks around... points at third item, which is not available to pick. "That!"
"No, pick X... or Y?" Items held up one a time.
Kid: Puts fingers out and points at X AND Y. "Yah!"

The "Do you want to do it, or should I do it for you?" style works pretty well though. He loves doing things himself when possible, and even if it's not something he wants to do he'd rather do it himself than let someone else do it for him.

In other news... I have been getting increasingly frustrated with... basically everyone that isn't me and interacts with my kid. His grandmother especially though. Do you guys have to deal with someone that is constantly teaching your child lovely behaviour and reinforcing it? On top of that she constantly complains about it saying "He must be picking it up from those kids at daycare, they are a bad influence on him!" and I just want to yell at her "I literally just watched you teach him to do it ten minutes ago, and then watched you reinforce his doing it as you were complaining about it!"

It's got me pulling my hair out. And we absolutely needed to rely on her to manage things while my wife was recovering from surgery (she is almost fully recovered now by the way, things are going great on that front) so now he has all sorts of bad habits and I know exactly where he got them from. How can people who have had multiple kids of their own have so little understanding of the consequences of their own actions? Sometimes I wonder if she does it intentionally to make my life more difficult.

Every aspect of this post is 100 percent of what my daughter is doing (choices) and the rest I'm experiencing too. My wife's parents are horrible racists and incredibly negative towards everyone and watch our daughter all day who loves them and they love, but for me specifically my wife is 100% unwilling to consider an alternative caregiver no matter how much I say we can't rely on 70+ year old grandparents. The same grandparents who are otherwise really good with our daughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
We've had no luck with choices either. Probably she's a bit too young still. "If X then Y" (aka bribery) works decently right now. I've taken to always keeping a flashlight with me so I can let her play with it in exchange for putting on her boots or whatever... I'm sure this is Bad Momming but whatcha gonna do.

OTOH this age is so freakin rad and fun, I'd choose 10 almost-twos over a single baby any day! Lately she gives compliments: "wotta lovely mommy! Wotta loooovely kitty!" *pats the sink* "wotta lovely drain!"

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Public Serpent posted:

OTOH this age is so freakin rad and fun, I'd choose 10 almost-twos over a single baby any day! Lately she gives compliments: "wotta lovely mommy! Wotta loooovely kitty!" *pats the sink* "wotta lovely drain!"

It's a hell of a lot of fun to watch a toddler working toward making an increasing amount of sense of the world they find themselves in. Just the other day the almost-three-year-old was running around with two ornamental Christmas angels and shouting "Hello birds! They are on their way to Spain!".

So apparently angels are a species of migratory bird. Which is a concept he's picked up somewhere or other.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
"Would you like to do x, or do you want me to do x?" has worked absolute wonders for me and gets used a hundred times a day, often with a three two one go countdown. Almost twos love to do things themselves.

dpspolice
Oct 25, 2007

hookerbot 5000 posted:

My daughter has been potty trained for a year now and still wears nappy pants at night. She's absolutely fine during the day - accidents will happen but it's once a month if that. But as soon as she has a nappy pant on for bedtime she will pee in it no matter how awake she is, it's like as soon as it's on it's open season to pee where ever she wants. I've actually seen her go take a nappy pant out the box, put it on and pee in it (maybe because she couldn't be bothered going upstairs? god knows). So in my experience straight to proper pants is the easiest most effective way, even with the extra washing and carpet cleaning etc.

Kids are hilarious! I would love to know what's going on in their heads.

And I've said it before but I'll say it again - thank god for hardwood floors!

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Question on infant food transitions and damned child independence.

Our 8 mo old has been eating solids(purée) since 4 mo. He got two bottom teeth at 6 mos. We made all our own baby foods w our vitamix and froze cubes. We were starting on chunkier or different textures and/or spices/herbs. He had a great appetite.....until Thanksgiving. We ended up sittIng him on our lap during dinner and gave him small pieces of various foods. Little did we know the Pandora's box we opened.

He's been on a crash course of "I'm a big boy!" With foods since. He absolutely refuses to eat off his infant utensils. It's not the food as if you give it to him on a normal person spoon or fork he'll eat it. More recently he has refused to eat off any utensil a majority of the time. We need to get foods and cut them into pieces so he can clumsily pick them up and try to jam it in his own mouth. Like egg. LOVES egg but now won't eat it off utensils. It has to be cut into fourths and put on his highchair so he can pick up. This kind of upended our food plan and how we hoped to transition to toddler like foods in the future, but "kids :/" right?

Does anyone have suggestions on this based on how young he is, lack of teeth, and jamming his mouth full like a drat chipmunk? He starts daycare next week and trying to figure out a plan for him to eat while there. (Were those crazy parents who have so far said no to hot dogs, frozen chicken nuggets, and pizza etc that they serve at the daycare - we have time and money to cook and do healthy options so we're running with it for now)
My wife and I plan out all our weekly breakfast/lunch/dinner meals so it's less stressful and I've taken to finding recipes he can eat and adapting them into family meals for us. Is this just the reality we've entered or ?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Will he eat of baby utensils if he's the one holding them? Our was like that for a while.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Duxwig posted:

Our 8 mo old has been eating solids(purée) since 4 mo. He got two bottom teeth at 6 mos. We made all our own baby foods w our vitamix and froze cubes. We were starting on chunkier or different textures and/or spices/herbs. He had a great appetite.....until Thanksgiving. We ended up sittIng him on our lap during dinner and gave him small pieces of various foods. Little did we know the Pandora's box we opened.

He's been on a crash course of "I'm a big boy!" With foods since. He absolutely refuses to eat off his infant utensils. It's not the food as if you give it to him on a normal person spoon or fork he'll eat it. More recently he has refused to eat off any utensil a majority of the time. We need to get foods and cut them into pieces so he can clumsily pick them up and try to jam it in his own mouth. Like egg. LOVES egg but now won't eat it off utensils. It has to be cut into fourths and put on his highchair so he can pick up. This kind of upended our food plan and how we hoped to transition to toddler like foods in the future, but "kids :/" right?

Does anyone have suggestions on this based on how young he is, lack of teeth, and jamming his mouth full like a drat chipmunk? He starts daycare next week and trying to figure out a plan for him to eat while there. (Were those crazy parents who have so far said no to hot dogs, frozen chicken nuggets, and pizza etc that they serve at the daycare - we have time and money to cook and do healthy options so we're running with it for now)
My wife and I plan out all our weekly breakfast/lunch/dinner meals so it's less stressful and I've taken to finding recipes he can eat and adapting them into family meals for us. Is this just the reality we've entered or ?

That's how we did it. He can pretty much eat whatever you are eating - there's not a ton you should do to adapt, honestly. My daughter didn't have teeth until nearly a year and she managed pretty much every food we ate (including meat) well before then.

Like, if you're eating rice and meat and chicken for a meal, just cut it up and put a small amount on his plate and let him go to town. He'll figure out how much to get in his mouth and how to manage it in short order. You can probably also put leftovers in a container and send it to daycare for him.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My kid ate everything we ate, aside from honey and choking hazards, from 6 months on. He didn't get his first tooth until after 9 months.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Sounds good on adult foods. Tries to grab utensils if we use them to "guide" food into his mouth but obviously has little coordination to anything but grab and throw if allowed on his own. Haven't done rice yet or saucey foods since we figured it would make a giant mess.....or is that the point?

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Duxwig posted:

We skipped the purees and went straight to solids, making stick sized pieces so he could hold them in his hand (before pincer grip fully developed. I also bought tasting spoons and forks that are just like regular grown up utensils but are small enough for their hands. https://www.amazon.com/Libbey-Tasting-Appetizer-Spoon-12-Piece/dp/B008HHRK6U
https://www.amazon.com/Libbey-Just-...SRR8GK66M99W372
At this point, I would encourage the use of the fork or spoon by him, but let him use his hands too. It will help him further develop his pincer grip which will make handling the fork and spoon easier and lead to lots of other great developmental achievements. Also, they don't have to have teeth to be able to chew. Those gums are hard and tough! As far as putting too much food in, that's pretty normal. Just watch him like a hawk and let him experiment. He needs to be able to play around with it to figure it out on his own.

I applaud you for not going the hot dog/chicken nugget route. Having worked in daycare, I can say that he will be just fine and they won't expect him to eat properly with a fork and spoon, just provide it so he can try/practice with it. Make sure that all of his food is cut up though, because daycare workers do not have time for that. You can give him whatever you eat as long as it doesn't have salt. That's the big thing to worry about. At this age my kid loved every kind of fruit, plain puffed wheat cereal (forget the sugar laden corn/rice puffs that they market to babies), plain yogurt with berries mixed in, eggs, black beans, salmon patties, chicken, chili, lentils, etc. Chili was a big favorite. I just make it with cumin and tiny bit of paprika to give it chili flavor without the spice then I spice my own to my liking. You can also add yogurt to take away the spice. Don't be afraid to let your kiddo try different things. Mine loved Indian food at that age!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

And don't assume your kid won't like spice! Mine loved bold flavors as a tiny little

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Duxwig posted:

Sounds good on adult foods. Tries to grab utensils if we use them to "guide" food into his mouth but obviously has little coordination to anything but grab and throw if allowed on his own. Haven't done rice yet or saucey foods since we figured it would make a giant mess.....or is that the point?

Yes, mess is the point. They are going to get messy in the process. Just remind them that food stays on the plate/bowl or in the mouth. I found dipping sticks were the best for saucey foods. Toast, crackers, pita/naan, carrots (they can't actually eat uncooked baby carrots but just lick the dip off and gnaw a little). Try to make the foods a little thicker to start while he's learning. You can thicken up any liquidy food with a little baby cereal.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

We are working the potty train right now. It's been introduced for over a year now and so he knows the whole process and is fine with "trying," but he never got motivated to keep the underwear dry and actually go in the potty. Picked up this book https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KOQ5KFU/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
and are trying to follow the methods. Our kid marches to his own beat and first day of training resulted in accidents and no success in peeing on the potty. Today was our second attempt and we followed the method a little more strictly and added in videos about pottying (daniel tiger, peg plus cat and bear in the big blue house). He's had great success today! So far he went pee twice and has had zero accidents. We did not make it through the whole process though...hopefully day 3 will be the last day of "training."

The book is really interesting. It was written in the 70's so there are some politically incorrect statements, but it is an all positive method and I could see it actually working in its stated time frame for most kids. I was impressed that it was researched and the authors had conducted trials.

I really hope this works...he's so big and diapering is becoming a challenge. At 2 1/2 he's over 40" tall! Everyone always thinks he's 4.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Spoon at 8 months?

I just try to feed our kid things that won't make a huge mess. Microwaved frozen veggies seem like a good option for healthy stuff. I also recently purchased a dust buster which really helps with the clean up. I'd just let the daycare feed your kid whatever - why make life hard on yourself? If you want a daycare with better food maybe you just have to pay for that?

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

We also do baby led weaning and started with solid foods at 6 months. We've introduced utensils recently (almost 11 months) but he mostly just plays with them. He's very adept at eating with his fingers and knows how to move food around his mouth. If a piece is too big to swallow he spits it out. If it's something very messy that I want to spoon feed him I give him a spoon to hold and that distracts him enough for me to get a different spoon into his mouth.

Honestly I wouldn't be so hard on your kid for "being independent" and ruining your food transition plans. He's just made things easier for you by feeding himself and eating what you eat! We've loved baby led weaning and get complimented on how great of a eater our baby is, and on how good his hand-eye coordination is. I try to offer a variety of foods and it's fun watching him pick and choose what he wants, and he's great at knowing when he's full (usually when he starts throwing food instead of eating it)

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Yeah, my 6 month old does purees, but insists on "helping" where you can't feed him unless he's holding on to your hand guiding the spoon to his mouth.

Anyone have suggestions for good baby gates? We just moved into a new apartment and he's starting to roll, so I wanna get some up ASAP before he goes headfirst down the entry way or gets into the laundry room.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AA is for Quitters posted:

Yeah, my 6 month old does purees, but insists on "helping" where you can't feed him unless he's holding on to your hand guiding the spoon to his mouth.

Anyone have suggestions for good baby gates? We just moved into a new apartment and he's starting to roll, so I wanna get some up ASAP before he goes headfirst down the entry way or gets into the laundry room.

Get one that mounts on and has a 'door' mechanism rather than one unit that you put up/take down entirely. Otherwise you might find yourself tripping and breaking your face at some point.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

AA is for Quitters posted:

We have a few different gates and this one's my favorite both for ease of installation and daily operation.
https://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Easy-Install-Walk/dp/B01BTUNHSQ
There's also a version that is taller/wider. Measure your space before ordering.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
On the topic of gates. Does anyone have one that has bars or a single space wide enough for a not overweight cat to slip through? We will need one at the top of our raised ranch, but the cats need to be able to get through it to reach the litter box.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

SpaceCadetBob posted:

On the topic of gates. Does anyone have one that has bars or a single space wide enough for a not overweight cat to slip through? We will need one at the top of our raised ranch, but the cats need to be able to get through it to reach the litter box.

There are gates that have pet doors
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JJDI0G/

You could also get a gate without a threshold and install it a little off the ground so the cat can slip under. We have this one for top of stairs and it works well: https://www.amazon.com/Cardinal-Gates-Stairway-Special-White/dp/B002CGRT1S
It's especially good if you have baseboards to work around because the hinges are higher than the bottom of the gate.

dpspolice
Oct 25, 2007

Hi_Bears posted:

We have a few different gates and this one's my favorite both for ease of installation and daily operation.
https://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Easy-Install-Walk/dp/B01BTUNHSQ
There's also a version that is taller/wider. Measure your space before ordering.

We have this one too. It's held up really well after nearly 2 years of daily use. We've moved it a few times too.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
We use http://www.munchkin.com/it-fits-safety-gate.html

It's pressure based and our cat can get through the side.

On the food thing, our son would rather feed himself at 10 months. He does have an issue understanding his limits though. He tried to shove a whole dinner roll in his mouth at Thanksgiving. :mmmhmm:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

If no one wants to listen to randon stories let me know, because I am gonna keep telling em otherwise.

so my almost two year old just keeps getting better and more adorable all the time. yesterday was particularly notable:

I had taken down a silver hanging baby swing, since there was a red one next to it and my wife wanted to try moving the silver one to the basement. The baby this morning begs to go outside, and beelines for the where the swing used to be, and tells me he wants to swing.

I go over and ask him if he wants to use the red swing, and points to where the silver swing was, and mimes sitting down in it and says again that he wants to swing. He is not upset that its gone, he just wants to swing in the invisible swing!

so i pick him and pretend to put him in the swing and then just put him through the motions of swinging with my arms, and he is genuinely ecstatic. Laughing up a storm, saying yay and clapping.

so damned adorable and funny, he hasnt paid any attention to those swings in weeks and weeks but the moment its gone.... hahah.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
So my son has developed a real liking for the show Peppa Pig, which for me is probably one of the most pleasant children's shows to have on TV. Just a bunch of not-so-yelly British people talking about your basic toddler show fare. Now here's what's interesting. Looking up some info on the show I came across the reviews on IMDB and TV.com

The show is generally pretty low rated, which surprised the Hell out of me, so I looked at the reviews:

http://www.tv.com/shows/peppa-pig/reviews/

WTF? Are these adults actually trying to watch this show themselves for entertainment? "The animation is bad! It looks like it was done by a 4 year old!" well no poo poo, it's a stylistic choice to make the show look like it was done by a 4 year old. "Peppa is rude!" this is a British show, and I guess British parents aren't so thin skinned as to get offended by their kid saying "Daddy has a big tummy" especially if daddy does indeed have a big tummy.

I could understand people getting all bent out of shape by say, Dinosaur Train, but Peppa Pig? Really?

Here's a great example:

quote:

This show is just plain bad. First of all is the animating. WHAT THE HECK?!?!?!? It is like watching a 4 year old drawing and painting it! Next is that they make the adults so freaking stupid. They the children idiots and make the little kids cry over nothing. Like eating vegtables! Also its has the worst story plots ever. You always know that it is lauging and falling on the ground. They even let the kids disrespect the adults like calling mommy and daddy pig fat. They also are super rude. I just want to grab peppas face and burn it into a incineratior untill she cries and dies in hell. She it the bitch of the show she makes fun of her brother. AND the biggest hypricrate in the world. She says to not to do this and she does it. She is a follower and the worst person is not even saying words correctly like airplane. They are saying it WRONG they say areoplane WTF?!?!??!?? DONT WHATCH OR LET YOUR KIDS WHATCH THIS SHOW AND MAKE IT SO THEY CANCEL THE SHOW!

WTF BEES fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 31, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Peppa pig is one of the most popular and well loved childrens television shows currently airing, internet reviews or not

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

WTF BEES posted:

So my son has developed a real liking for the show Peppa Pig, which for me is probably one of the most pleasant children's shows to have on TV. Just a bunch of not-so-yelly British people talking about your basic toddler show fare. Now here's what's interesting. Looking up some info on the show I came across the reviews on IMDB and TV.com

The show is generally pretty low rated, which surprised the Hell out of me, so I looked at the reviews:

http://www.tv.com/shows/peppa-pig/reviews/

WTF? Are these adults actually trying to watch this show themselves for entertainment? "The animation is bad! It looks like it was done by a 4 year old!" well no poo poo, it's a stylistic choice to make the show look like it was done by a 4 year old. "Peppa is rude!" this is a British show, and I guess British parents aren't so thin skinned as to get offended by their kid saying "Daddy has a big tummy" especially if daddy does indeed have a big tummy.

I could understand people getting all bent out of shape by say, Dinosaur Train, but Peppa Pig? Really?

Here's a great example:

I'm going to go ahead and assume that 80% of the people posting fan reviews are insane (I certainly don't remember an episode where George has a gun), or at the very least far too invested in preschool TV. Saying that Mike the Knight can work me up into quite a rant... Peppa is a bit rude - she has a strident tone sometimes which grates. I'm thinking of the episode where she goes to meet the queen and then yells at her for walking round a puddle rather than jumping in it. But it's a cartoon, the kids loved it and it's a lot better than some of the stuff I've sat through in the last 20 years of parenting.

If you like Peppa Pig look out for Ben and Hollys Magical Kingdom too - it's by the same people.

edit: also in that review - aeroplane? That's how people in the UK say it - it'd be like complaining that she says mum rather than mom.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 31, 2016

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Peppa is a bit rude - she has a strident tone sometimes which grates. I'm thinking of the episode where she goes to meet the queen and then yells at her for walking round a puddle rather than jumping in it.

I'm willing to bet this is just a cultural difference between the US and UK. I don't think they consider quite so many things "rude" when coming from children as we seem to over here.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

WTF BEES posted:

I'm willing to bet this is just a cultural difference between the US and UK. I don't think they consider quite so many things "rude" when coming from children as we seem to over here.

I'm in the UK, I'd definitely not like my kids talking to adults in that tone of voice.

It doesn't really bother me and certainly not to the extent that I'd write an internet screed decrying it but if asked I would agree that on occasion Peppa is a cheeky little madam. But then that's probably part of the charm.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 31, 2016

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I'm in the UK, I'd definitely not like my kids talking to adults in that tone of voice.

It doesn't really bother me and certainly not to the extent that I'd write an internet screed decrying it but if asked I would agree that on occasion Peppa is a cheeky little madam. But then that's probably part of the charm.

I'm willing to concede this point. We just started watching the show about a week ago and I've yet to come across anything I'd consider sass from Peppa, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. But yeah I would think the move would be to explain to your child during or after the show that certain tones aren't appropriate when talking to adults in lieu of writing a scathing review online.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

WTF BEES posted:

Hey what's wrong with dinosaur train? >: (

;)

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I love Peppa and company. I probably love it more than my son. Daddy Pig explaining how mirrors work, and the Jurassic Park ripoff are some of my favorite television. Guess I am 4 years old.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

This is so topical; my daughter has been insisting on watching a particular episode of Peppa on repeat for about a week now. At least it's the one about stars and outer space.

On the topic of British cartoons, Charlie and Lola is another incredibly sweet show.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

amethystbliss posted:

On the topic of British cartoons, Charlie and Lola is another incredibly sweet show.

It's good. In the Norwegian version, for some reason they gave the dog a normal boy's name, which happens also to be #1 son's name. My kids find this hilarious.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Hmmm my kids don't really watch the TV, they don't seem to like normal kids shows, it has to be music, pop music, childrens rhymes about alphabets, shapes and numbers. They seem really crazy about anything musical. Don't think I've seen them give a toss about any children's programs we've tried to put on for them so far... Instead of talking about characters they're talking about rectangles, hexagons! PENTAGONS! (david loves pentagons) and counting and doing the alphabet and signing songs, I think they know half a dozen by now.

Also one of them has gone into a donald duck phase where he only wears either pants, or a shirt, but not both at the same time.

Also I made them a workbench:

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

hookerbot 5000 posted:

If you like Peppa Pig look out for Ben and Hollys Magical Kingdom too - it's by the same people.

Another nod for Ben and Holly's little kingdom. It's probably my favourite kid show. Nanny plum is hilarious.

I didn't think Peppa Pig was too bad. It got all after a while, but they all do. I will agree that Peppa is a bit rude, but she got my kids to say please and thank you all the time so meh. Also, everyone I know with kids under 5 know all of the Peppa Pig episodes by heart. So I thought Peppa Pig on repeat for weeks was a kid stage that all parents had to put up with.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Every time pepa pig is "rude", from what I've seen, it's because she is reminding an adult of a rule that's supposed to be followed.

Which makes sense - if you really want a rule to sink in for a kid, wouldn't letting them know that the rule applies to adults (and that they can and should remind adults to follow the rule!) be a great way to get them to remember and follow the rule themselves?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

WTF BEES posted:

Steady on there chap, Brian Blessed is one of the voice actors.

We sometimes put it on but ours doesn't have much preference about what's on TV (although in the earlier months the Baby crack TV channel was a bloody godsend), after awhile me and the missus noticed a few things and concepts that would go over the head of kiddies. Like Mrs. Rabbit is a massive hustler, Daddy Pig being in an abusive relationship, and that holiday to Italy episode depicting the typical ignorant brit abroad which was hilarious.

In any case music videos go down better as watching Guns n' Roses or anything with loud electric guitars gets lots of wild laughs, I did get a lot of mileage out of playing the intro and segments from My Neighbor Totoro but I think he's bored of that now.

Super Slash fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 1, 2017

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Super Slash posted:

after awhile me and the missus noticed a few things and concepts that would go over the head of kiddies

Sesame Street does this ALL THE TIME in the more recent episodes and it's hilarious. Recent example that comes to mind was a skit they did talking about the importance of trying new, healthy foods. It was titled "Orange Is the New Snack" and was a direct parody of the Netflix show. What toddler is going to get that reference?

Not that I'm complaining. I love the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) nods at the parents in these shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Super Slash posted:

Like Mrs. Rabbit is a massive hustler, Daddy Pig being in an abusive relationship, and that holiday to Italy episode depicting the typical ignorant brit abroad which was hilarious.
They are so mean to Daddy Pig :(.