Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think he was talking about the campaign AI rather than the combat AI. Combat AI has been more or less the same across the series with a few incremental changes (I think Warhammer included more substantial stuff but it's still kind of hard to tell). Campaign AI on the other hand has been all over the place and often includes a ton of cheats even on the easiest difficulty level just to cover for them.

The post I quoted was explicitly talking about campaign AI, as was my response. The battle AI has been basically the same across all the games with the notable exception of the Rome 2 battle AI at launch being something very special indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is Warhammer the first TW game to use the army stances of march/ambush/encamp/etc? I started a Shogun 2 campaign and am really missing it

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Away all Goats posted:

Is Warhammer the first TW game to use the army stances of march/ambush/encamp/etc? I started a Shogun 2 campaign and am really missing it

Rome 2 did it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shalcar posted:

The post I quoted was explicitly talking about campaign AI, as was my response. The battle AI has been basically the same across all the games with the notable exception of the Rome 2 battle AI at launch being something very special indeed.

fair enough, shouldn't post at 3 am.

Yeah, Rome's AI really likes to fast travel all over the place, including your territory, parks their armies in the water and declares war on you while sending their armies the opposite direction. Smart it was not.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

My little sister wanted to play original Rome as her first Total War and I have no loving clue how that game plays anymore.

On a weird note: is original Medieval a pain in the rear end to play or is it worth getting? The granular province thing always sounded interesting, and I couldn't really get into M2 (see above). Also, do you ever get guns?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's slower in general. Often times you need to get to the second level of a building to train troops out of it, and some troops requires multiple buildings(To train proper cavalry, you need both a horse breeder at level 2 and a spearmaker, for instance). It's worthy enough.

Do you get guns? Yes, eventually. You need to wait for them to be invented by event first, then build the proper buildings to build such-Gunsmiths. You start with Hand Guns, then proceed to Arquebusiers.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

StashAugustine posted:

On a weird note: is original Medieval a pain in the rear end to play or is it worth getting? The granular province thing always sounded interesting, and I couldn't really get into M2 (see above). Also, do you ever get guns?

The campaign map is still good and fun, the battles are kind of a pain due to the extremely outdated interface, camera controls, etc.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think you are better off playing the original shogun, really.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Original Rome remains best total war if only because of the way the guy's voice cracks when he announces "victory is ours!" following a successful battle.
Been awaiting his return for years.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

popewiles posted:

Original Rome remains best total war if only because of the way the guy's voice cracks when he announces "victory is ours!" following a successful battle.
Been awaiting his return for years.

ROOOMMEE DEMANDS VICTORY FROM HER GENERALS

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

John Charity Spring posted:

The campaign map is still good and fun, the battles are kind of a pain due to the extremely outdated interface, camera controls, etc.

It's really hard to play older TW titles just because of the growth in interfaces as the series progresses. Medieval II just ha so many quirks that hold it back. Shogun II is the 'oldest' TW title not to be held back

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Whorelord posted:

ROOOMMEE DEMANDS VICTORY FROM HER GENERALS

TRIARII

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

One thing I really miss in Warhammer is the old growth system where city income increased as the city grew, I don't think that's a thing anymore. It was a pain in the rear end in ME2 because some cities would basically be worthless for 100 turns but I just like the concept. Feels good.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
In Shogun 2 I liked it, but in the older games it was kind of one of those systems that just did poo poo in the background and you didn't have enough of an impact on it to really appreciate it. And it was slow enough that by the time it had a big impact, you'd probably be in a victory lap anyways.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Jeoh posted:

TRIARII

TRIARI EYE

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

nopantsjack posted:

One thing I really miss in Warhammer is the old growth system where city income increased as the city grew, I don't think that's a thing anymore. It was a pain in the rear end in ME2 because some cities would basically be worthless for 100 turns but I just like the concept. Feels good.

The really cool thing about that system was that you could kickstart a small town by recruiting mobs of peasants from more populous cities in the empire and settle them. Recruiting military units pulled from the population pool and disbanding placed them into the towns population. Especially for Rome 1 it's a historical and thematically approptiate thing you can do.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

nopantsjack posted:

I really, really disliked it. It was a terribly opaque system and led to a ton of newbie traps.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I never really felt like it trapped me, considering I won a ton of campaigns before I ever realised it was a mechanic.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I still have no loving clue how to build cities in Rome/Med2.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
build farms and trade stuff for money/growth. then build, uh, everything else you'd want.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, farms, roads, ports and markets and now you have infinite money.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

In Shogun 2 I liked it, but in the older games it was kind of one of those systems that just did poo poo in the background and you didn't have enough of an impact on it to really appreciate it. And it was slow enough that by the time it had a big impact, you'd probably be in a victory lap anyways.

Food production in Shogun 2 is great because it prioritizes planning your territory layout. Plus, none of that squalor poo poo to deal with, and each farm had a flat 1/2/3/4 to food, none of this "+23 to food, unless its winter in which case -3453985738 to food and your entire empire is now starving because nobody knows how to stockpile."

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the best part about rome 1's city planning is how you had no way to reduce squalor beyond a level so if the cities grew too much you'd have to let them revolt and exterminate the population

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

I still have no loving clue how to build cities in Rome/Med2.

More cities, more money. Don't build brothels or else your generals will turn into sex addicts. Low taxes so your generals become chivalrous, and let their chivalry inspire your peasantryto gently caress more and grow your city.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Mans posted:

the best part about rome 1's city planning is how you had no way to reduce squalor beyond a level so if the cities grew too much you'd have to let them revolt and exterminate the population

Yup, especially in Egypt, goddam that was ridiculous.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I just assumed that was a historical representation of the time considering all the crusades and poo poo in the area :v:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Mans posted:

It's thematic

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

So what's the deal with Total War Arena? I got an invite for the upcoming free weekend and I was wondering what it was supposed to be. Is there a specific thread for it?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

KazigluBey posted:

So what's the deal with Total War Arena? I got an invite for the upcoming free weekend and I was wondering what it was supposed to be. Is there a specific thread for it?

Free to play Total War game where you control 3 units in a 10v10 Total War battle. Was really, really quite solid when it was last open and now its a Wargaming joint I'm sure they ruined it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's fun as long as you follow the Wargaming golden rule of playing with friends

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The ongoing RTW1 Carthage LP has got me hankering for some classical age action again. Should I try out DarthMod for RTW1 since it actually looks pretty good in the LP, dive into what looks like an absolute spergfest in MTW2's Europa Barbarorum II, or get back to RTW2's Divide et Impera and see how much has changed?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

toasterwarrior posted:

The ongoing RTW1 Carthage LP has got me hankering for some classical age action again. Should I try out DarthMod for RTW1 since it actually looks pretty good in the LP, dive into what looks like an absolute spergfest in MTW2's Europa Barbarorum II, or get back to RTW2's Divide et Impera and see how much has changed?

Roma Surectum and EB for RTW are the best. EB 2 is a mess that I won't recommend while Divide et Impera is okay. I personally don't like it because it doesn't feel right with Rome 2 but that's a personal opinion. Dresden did one hell of a job with that mod so try it out.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mans posted:

Roma Surectum and EB for RTW are the best. EB 2 is a mess that I won't recommend while Divide et Impera is okay. I personally don't like it because it doesn't feel right with Rome 2 but that's a personal opinion. Dresden did one hell of a job with that mod so try it out.

Thanks for the recs, Mans!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I learned about it here and think some other people voiced their interest, so I figure I should bring it up- I picked up Oriental Empires.

Turns out it's not remotely like Total War. The battles are totally automated, sorta like a really stripped down Gratuitous Space Battles if any of you played that; you get a few options for stance for each unit, and can decide your composition and so on, and then they just duke it out with some extra visual flare (although not much, the animations are pretty basic) if you make them cross paths with an enemy. Beyond that, it's much more like Civ. Hex based map, settlers and city improvements and so on.

But it's still kind of distinct from Civ, even beyond the change in setting. If any of you wanted a game with an emphasis on internal state development, this is it. Passing edicts and laws, developing cities and working out your trade routes, watching your little peasants work the land to remove swamps and forests, and slowly swallowing the map with farmland and building shrines on every mountain. It's in kind of a strange spot, still very much abstracted but not nearly as much as something like Civ, to the point it's actually really immersive. It's using hexes but the map is large enough and in a narrow enough scope that you feel like it's China rather than generic board game land. The graphics are definitely a cut below triple A, but they're put an emphasis on little details that help it along and make things honestly more appealing to look at than I find most modern strategy games. All the techs and units and so on are themed on specific and minute stuff from Chinese history and development, and there are tiers to buildings with the blurbs and visuals (every building has a model that goes on-map) that you see a pretty stark difference between your starting little town and your sprawling empire as it progresses, and so on. I personally find it all extremely gratifying and this game scratches that itch way better than anything else I've played.

On the other hand I can see how it would be extremely boring to a ton of you, because beyond that specific aspect isn't so much to it (although hopefully that'll change). I've only played one faction and only on normal (I'd recommend going higher for your first game, even though there's no tutorial) but other than the nomads (and even them) I don't think there's much variety between factions, although since the map is pre-scripted maybe location has a significant impact. Also, while I've only played on normal, I get the sense the game is gonna be easy as balls no matter what difficulty you play on, although that might change as it develops more, and the AI at the start before I massively outpaced it was pretty aggressive to be fair.

Anyway, if you're particularly interested in watching your little state grow like I am, it's got something going for it now. Otherwise I'd probably hold off for now, although it definitely shows potential. I think with a slightly better AI things would get a lot more dynamic and interesting, so while it's never gonna be a 10/10 without a bit more variety, I think it might well be a pretty decent game with a bit more work, and it is in early access.

Oh yeah, also the simultaneous turns thing is worth mentioning. It works really well. So does the whole battle system- it's nothing like Total War, like I've seen some people compare it to, but as a progression point for a franchise like Civ I think it'd be perfect. Pretty unobtrusive but still visually appealing, and with a little bit of depth to it.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 2, 2017

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That seems like a fascinating game although I think it would really shine in a multiplayer context. Will definitely keep a lookout.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Time for my annual "loving MARATHA BLOB" complaint in Empire, this time they've steamrollered India inside 40 turns and at turn 65 have just wiped out Persia. I, as the mighty and brave British Empire, have scoured the remaining native American tribes from their ancestral lands and carved a red swathe from Florida through Kentucky and Michigan to Northern Canada. The prospect of an endless land war in India isn't pleasing though. I think the Maratha's have three times the army strength in the prestige meter than I do, but I also only have two full stack armies running riot through America.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I never understood why CA didn't have the trading company factions suddenly appear in India after 1710, Maratha doom blob unless you are playing them is an incredible irritation. Especially when they somehow absorb Russia.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

SeanBeansShako posted:

I never understood why CA didn't have the trading company factions suddenly appear in India after 1710, Maratha doom blob unless you are playing them is an incredible irritation. Especially when they somehow absorb Russia.

As far as I can tell they have no navy whatsoever, and no presence in any of the trade regions - for the record I have trade ships on 17 of the 20 available nodes. I can quite easily raise another two max stack armies and take them on no sweat but I'd probably like to have some decent navies in the trade hubs to counter any potential reprisals

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
How is it occurring, for the uninitiated? Is it some quirk of their army or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Bloodly posted:

How is it occurring, for the uninitiated? Is it some quirk of their army or something?

India is split between the Maratha Confederacy and the Mughal Empire and the Marathas are almost sure to win since they're the playable faction with the better roster. Then they face no serious competition in their home territory (unless the player intervenes) and can launch world conquest from there. Empire: Total War went from AI nations being unable to transport armies from one theatre to the next, to the Maratha Confederacy semi-reliably mounting full-scale naval invasions of Britain in some reversal of history. Which is pretty funny but also a definitely unintended bit of balancing.