Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

colonp posted:

Why does it not at all sound like the digital FM i know from Operator etc when I put take Sine output into FM input and turn the FM CV knob? Sounds similar to what happens on VK-1.

Operator is phase distortion (PM) which is slightly different. Smarter people than me have already written entire papers about this so I recommend you search for linear vs exponential FM and FM vs PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!
thank you!

if any others are curious, Synthesizer Keith is a cool guy.

colonp fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 13, 2018

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Process the poo poo out of it fifty ways like it’s a sample of a washing machine or something.

that was a drat good album

i’m gonna try and do a submission and if i manage to it’ll be the first full track i’ve produced :dance:

Admiral Crackbar
Jan 4, 2012

colonp posted:

if any others are curious, Synthesizer Keith is a cool guy.

That beard is amazing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

yeah gently caress expedited shipping ill use my uh

what do you call that thing with the strings and the frets ? i 8 played mine in so long i 4got!

common brushtail possum?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

common brushtail possum?

March mixtape challenge: compose a song solely on a marsupial

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I think I'm in again. It's been too long.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Well you guys were right about getting weird gear on the plane. Being a normal looking white guy didn’t hurt I bet, and I had the stuff in a case looking fairly professional. It only took a swabbing to get through. I was a little worried that plain gray metal boxes covered in switches would be suspicious but I guess they’ve seen it all.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Your Computer posted:

Also, is there any easy way to take computer keyboard input because I still don't have the space to hook up my midi controller :eng99: The computer keyboard has been my keyboard for a while.

If you're on Windows, Cantabile Lite will play notes from the keyboard. Just use loopmidi to connect it to the VCVRack MIDI input.

VCV Rack also plays fine with jackd/jackrouter in Windows (if you're crazy enough to run jackd, that is). You need to place the x64 jackrouter dll manually and register it, but it works after that.

What's everyone using to route audio between processes in Windows?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I think to really get the full mileage out of that Arturia V6 I totally wasn't going to buy, I should probably go and buy a Komplete Kontrol Mk2 controller today. Otherwise I'm basically just wasting the money I've already spent, right?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
That's a prime cut of GAS justification right there. Live the dream.

Though if you want to work with the arturia collection, you also need a keylab. Buy both!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I haven't softsynthd in forever but yeah their Easel jeez.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Startyde posted:

I haven't softsynthd in forever but yeah their Easel jeez.

The Easel is really, really good. It encouraged me to get a 0-Coast and I've been delighted by that. Fingers crossed Behringer put out a $300 Buchla soon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If anyone's using Serum or a similar wavetable synth and want a TON of wavetables to use (including some from Omnisphere :ssh:) check it out:

https://www.xferrecords.com/forums/serum/the-wavetables-thread

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Plavski posted:

That's a prime cut of GAS justification right there. Live the dream.

Though if you want to work with the arturia collection, you also need a keylab. Buy both!

Somebody who knows nothing about MIDI keyboards is going to see this post one day and actually follow it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Somebody who knows nothing about MIDI keyboards is going to see this post one day and actually follow it.

then they'll have two really good midi keyboards and will be forever happy

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Plavski posted:

then they'll have two really good midi keyboards
sure why not

Plavski posted:

and will be forever happy
hahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahah

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

AnnoyBot posted:

What's everyone using to route audio between processes in Windows?

I have a really stupid setup. I have an Audigy 2 with the breakout box installed as well as a MOTU Ultralite MK3. The main outputs of the Ultralite are plugged into the Audigy 2 breakout RCA in.

I set my Ultralite returns to 7-8. So, let's say I am watching something on YouTube I want to sample. I set my main outputs to MOTU Analog 7-8 and then create an audio channel in Ableton to 11/12 (return input). I can then sample directly from there.

Like I said, I have a terrible setup and it's retarded as hell, but it works.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay here's a draft of my thing for the synth compilation. It's an instrumental version of a fingerpicky classical guitar/folk song I've been working on. The original has lyrics, but they're only half done at the moment. Kinda tempted to try them out through a vocoder on this version, if I get them finished in time.

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/sail-or-anchor-synth-instrumental

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

stillvisions posted:

Speaking of GAS, the lo-fi junkie arrived after having that on waiting list for months, and... the effect seems really underwhelming. Also, I don't know if I've got a bad one, but when sound starts in it there's a audible pop as the levels spike.

Late, but that's common. The compressor isn't quick enough. Add a tad of attack to your VCA to avoid it.

Also, it does a great echo if you feed a reverb into it. The compressor pulls up the reverb tail and it sounds amazing.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 14, 2018

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I just found out my Keystep can trigger the arp clock on on my Juno 6 perfectly. I was looking at buying a tr-626 specifically to trigger it so I’m stoked I don’t have to spend the money.

Is there a bigger version of the keystep? I would love if they’d put out a 61 full size key version that’s otherwise exactly the same feature set. It’s such a good little controller.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey, like 4 pages ago I asked for help on making string synth patches.

I got given a lot of good advice. I don't have anything post-worthy yet, but I've had a lot of fun and am learning a lot. So cheers for the pointers!

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Arturia's going a little modular-crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc7QCOe5lcw

e: haa, beat you by one minute :) VVV

Pondex fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 15, 2018

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The gently caress is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwOia0T-4jE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiBopJmgmkI

Minibrute 2 - 48 patch points

Yeesh, 575 Queens pounds, 650 euros... that's a decent chunk to pay for it.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 15, 2018

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Dumb question but I recently made some room for a dedicated setup rather than putting everything back in their boxes after I finished up, and I was thinking about tossing a sheet over it all (including some pedals and a practice head with cab) for a dust cover, but then I started worrying about maybe static electricity being a problem, especially since it's winter. Am I being an idiot?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Detective Thompson posted:

Dumb question but I recently made some room for a dedicated setup rather than putting everything back in their boxes after I finished up, and I was thinking about tossing a sheet over it all (including some pedals and a practice head with cab) for a dust cover, but then I started worrying about maybe static electricity being a problem, especially since it's winter. Am I being an idiot?

Probably. I put sheets/t-shirts/pants/whatever over my gear so it doesn't collect dust. Been doing this for years with 0 problems and it gets dry and static-y as hell in the winter where I live.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I have two dogs, should I start worrying about dust? poo poo, i don't really have an easy way to cover my setup.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

I have two dogs, should I start worrying about dust? poo poo, i don't really have an easy way to cover my setup.

buy a couple of sheets from a discount clothing store or something

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Plavski posted:

buy a couple of sheets from a discount clothing store or something

Thanks for the tip.

Idk, maybe synths are more susceptible to dust than other music gear, like amps.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Thanks, I was just being a little bit of a worrywart about that I guess.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

Thanks for the tip.

Idk, maybe synths are more susceptible to dust than other music gear, like amps.

Pro-tip: If you use your gear, it won't collect dust.

(j/k - never stop buying new gear)

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Oldstench posted:

corollary: keep selling your gear and it will never be around long enough to gather dust

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Oldstench posted:

Yeah i use em almost every day, i just dont move them much

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
If your synths get dusty, get an ostrich feather duster. They’re cheap and work fast.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

48 patch points

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Makeup brushes are great for dusting synth stuff without bumping knobs too bad.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Tayter Swift posted:

Makeup brushes are great for dusting synth stuff without bumping knobs too bad.

they're also great for giving an old synth a renewed self-confidence

#beautiful #sexysynth #junoimworthit #stillnotoberheim

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Plavski posted:

they're also great for giving an old synth a renewed self-confidence

#beautiful #sexysynth #junoimworthit #stillnotoberheim

#casiohlala #kawaiikawai #enmogue

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Startyde posted:

no input spring reverb plucking.w64

There's a dedicated piece of hardware for that: http://www.electrofaustus.com/ef110-blackfly/

There's also a eurorack version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

stillvisions posted:

There's a dedicated piece of hardware for that: http://www.electrofaustus.com/ef110-blackfly/

There's also a eurorack version.
oh nice somebody copied the ekdahl moisturizer