Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

piL posted:

A Telltale series was a mistake. "Sid Meier's Expanse!" was the optimal play.

You! Don't create dreams I cannot taste of!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I wish I had a TV guide of thread approved good shows for the way you all talk about this season as though it's barely above unwatchable dreck

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Eej posted:

I wish I had a TV guide of thread approved good shows for the way you all talk about this season as though it's barely above unwatchable dreck

The internet was created so you could convince other people to be as miserable as you are yourself.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

They are all terrible shows OP.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
The only good television is anime

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

tokin opposition posted:

The only good television is anime

That's why they're so coy about the Laconia stuff. It's going to be an anime, obviously. Just get everyone back to do voice acting and you don't have to worry about up-aging everyone for it or whatever.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Show not so bad. Sure the show takes plenty of short cuts so that it could hit kind of arbitrary moments from the books (the PDC trick, like, does it even come off as cool or skillful in the show?) but overall? It's okay. It's not as good as season 1 and 2 but then again the books aren't either.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Zebulon posted:

That's why they're so coy about the Laconia stuff. It's going to be an anime, obviously. Just get everyone back to do voice acting and you don't have to worry about up-aging everyone for it or whatever.

Alcon execs frantically trying to reach the French studio that did Arcane

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Zebulon posted:

This isn't the spoiler thread lol

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

piL posted:

A Telltale series was a mistake. "Sid Meier's Expanse!" was the optimal play.

This is called Starsector and it is pretty close.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Nexus: The Jupiter incident already exists

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They could re-skin that FTL game to be a Naomi Survival Simulator (NSS)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Eej posted:

Read thread criticisms with a salt shaker of salt.

My personal rule of thumb is to take seriously posters who point to specific problems and ignore anyone who doesn't like a show but packages that as "show is bad" without substantiation.

I'd characterize the overall thread position on S6 as frustrated that the show's only 6 episodes but seems to be slow-playing a lot of the plots, mostly happy with what's actually happening, but with a few vocal people who don't like the effects, hate how much screen-time Marco is getting, and just generally don't like what they're seeing.

I have my suspicions (as a non-book reader) that the show's constant and clunky reminders about the weird ship-disappearing gate thing are actually going to be a big plot-point--like, how they deal with what we saw Marco pleased about at the end of the last episode--and that we're seeing a distillation and refinement of the book plot to wrap the series. Since much more must happen in Book 6, I wonder if some series fans are disliking S6 because most of what they liked in Book 6 has been dropped in favor of plot elements that they don't think can sustain 6 episodes, plus a scattering of things that only matter if there's some continuation of this story.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
your suspicions are way off because book 6 is easily the worst book in the series and a big red flag for this tv season so far is how closely they're sticking to it. if they stick to the ending of book 6 then lmfao this thread is going to get INCREDIBLE.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Beef posted:

Nexus: The Jupiter incident already exists

Every so often I feel the urge to replay that game and I have to remind myself that for every awesome Expanse style tense battle mission, there's a 'capture a space bee so that it we can use it to beat the ai nanoships sent by god to kill us' mission.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
For what it's worth, the Ty And That Guy Aftershow all but confirmed that Marco's slow chair slide out of frame to reveal Fillip was absolutely an intentional move from Marco. And Fillip leaning into frame to see the face of his enemy is just as realistic as Holden not wanting their crew to be responsible for the love of his life's son dying? Every single character beat was earned, it was just narratively very unsatisfying.

Re: the show is bad now, I take it that the drama is worth taking seriously, and there's enough effort put into Cool Space poo poo that the show is better than 96% of television, but it's still flawed and worthy of criticism. It's definitely above the TV average, but below its potential.

Horizon Burning posted:

your suspicions are way off because book 6 is easily the worst book in the series and a big red flag for this tv season so far is how closely they're sticking to it. if they stick to the ending of book 6 then lmfao this thread is going to get INCREDIBLE.
Is 6 considered worse than 4? I have very fuzzy memories of 5/6, to be fair.

I'm just finishing book 8 at the moment and I'm too scared to venture into the Spoiler thread because of the 9th and final book - so I hope it's okay if I say - I'm very curious how people reacted to the BIG BOOK 8 TIAMAT'S WRATH SPOILERS pretty casual deaths of our two Strongest Faves.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It might have been intended to be deliberate, but it absolutely does not come out in the final viewing as anything other than silly and forced.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

VagueRant posted:

Is 6 considered worse than 4? I have very fuzzy memories of 5/6, to be fair.

6 was my least favorite. I barely remember what happens in it besides the ending.

Narsham posted:

I have my suspicions (as a non-book reader) that the show's constant and clunky reminders about the weird ship-disappearing gate thing are actually going to be a big plot-point--like, how they deal with what we saw Marco pleased about at the end of the last episode--and that we're seeing a distillation and refinement of the book plot to wrap the series.

The disappearing ship thing is introduced much earlier and more subtly, which ends up being (intentionally) confusing when Marco is revealed as the apparent perpetrator and you forget about it.

The Barkeith is kind of an "oh poo poo it wasn't just him" moment.

I'm guessing they moved this around because it was too confusing for the show.

quote:

Since much more must happen in Book 6

No.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Book six was by far the low point for me, all I remember are Dawes doing cool stuff he won't be doing here because he's dead, the 360 noscope, and another scene that was in the season trailer. Other than that I was just loving sick of Marco and Filip, just like here. It's no coincidence that many people are frustrated with the season since they're sticking so closely to what happened in arguably the worst book, after taking lots of good creative differences with previous seasons. It's really confusing.

I also just don't see how in the hell they're going to make the Laconia segments matter for the Marco plot but I guess we'll see in a couple weeks.

I hope I'm proven wrong but I kind of doubt they're gonna really stick this.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
There just has to be something coming after the series ends. Otherwise the cold opens and all the talk of ships disappearing in the gates is going to be a really weird dead end. Like if nothing else comes, then it was absolutely planned when they filmed this and then cancelled.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

In the last episode Riker and Troi switch off the holodeck.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

smooth jazz posted:

In the last episode Riker and Troi switch off the holodeck.

It's Tommy Westphall. It's always Tommy Westphall.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

I have liked this season just fine, but I agree that putting the short story stuff in seems like a waste of time. I remember when they did the short story about the invention of the Epstein drive I felt the same way. Still one of my favorite shows but they have made some questionable decisions with the storytelling at times

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Jakabite posted:

There just has to be something coming after the series ends. Otherwise the cold opens and all the talk of ships disappearing in the gates is going to be a really weird dead end. Like if nothing else comes, then it was absolutely planned when they filmed this and then cancelled.

seems pretty clear to me that the show basically got altered and then canned as a result of the anvar debacle, unfortunately.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

fartknocker posted:

It's Tommy Westphall. It's always Tommy Westphall.

In the last episode Drummer is docking the Tynan at Ceres, while Holden and Naomi are deciding what to order at the noodle bar then the screen cuts to black.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Do you think Bobbie is gonna bring up Amos 'updating' the Martian flag on the Roci again? I bet this happens immediately before they bang.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Amos would blow a load like a shotgun through her back in 1G

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Mu Zeta posted:

Amos would blow a load like a shotgun through her back in 1G

that's not what happened to Chandra though

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm not a book reader, but could they telegraph what's going to happen with that space dog on Laconia any harder? There's no way it isn't some standard necromancy plot from a low budget 80s horror film.

Also, Filip

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mu Zeta posted:

They could re-skin that FTL game to be a Naomi Survival Simulator (NSS)

Maybe Tharsis would be more apt

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
As a book reader, it hit me when I was starting up Ep 3 last night who the kids featured in the Laconia cold opens are, and now I am equal parts "cool!" and "what in the gently caress are they gonna do with that??"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I finally watched the X-Rays and yea, Bobbie vs Amos was great.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I finally watched the X-Rays and yea, Bobbie vs Amos was great.
It is completely insane to me to bury this, of ALL of the things, into an easily missed dvd extra.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Where can I see this x-ray stuff? It's somewhere on Amazon prime right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When you pause the show, it will pop up who is in the scene and little trivia things. That's x-ray, and there would be a category somewhere that has bonus content which is where these videos are.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Avasculous posted:

The disappearing ship thing is introduced much earlier and more subtly, which ends up being (intentionally) confusing when Marco is revealed as the apparent perpetrator and you forget about it.

The Barkeith is kind of an "oh poo poo it wasn't just him" moment.

Given how they handled the visual effects, this is one of those misdirects that doesn't work on-screen. Kind of like how Tolkien can describe Gimli, Aragorn, and Legolas meeting a wizard wearing white in Fangorn forest and conceal that it's Gandalf through selective description, but the movie couldn't pull that off even with visual effects to hide his face and an audio mix between Lee and McKellan saying the same lines. I suppose they could have opted not to show it; the choice to do so seems to be pretty heavily setting up for the stories they may or may not end up telling.

Tighclops posted:

You have to pause while viewing on the correct device, though. If you watch through your TV, you can't see the extra content.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
the reason they're x-rays instead of end credits scenes is to gently caress with pirates

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Narsham posted:

Given how they handled the visual effects, this is one of those misdirects that doesn't work on-screen. Kind of like how Tolkien can describe Gimli, Aragorn, and Legolas meeting a wizard wearing white in Fangorn forest and conceal that it's Gandalf through selective description, but the movie couldn't pull that off even with visual effects to hide his face and an audio mix between Lee and McKellan saying the same lines. I suppose they could have opted not to show it; the choice to do so seems to be pretty heavily setting up for the stories they may or may not end up telling.

There's actually something else exactly like this that they also dropped. Book Clarissa looks so much like Julie that when Holden first sees her, he thinks he's being haunted by Proto-Julie because he stole her Proto-Man or something.

That one's kind of silly, but I do kind of wish the show found a way to use Proto-Julie.

tokin opposition posted:

the reason they're x-rays instead of end credits scenes is to gently caress with pirates

Can't they just pirate the x-ray?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

tokin opposition posted:

but also half the viewer base

also the pirates can just dl the additional vid and tack it on the end lol, hiding the link in xray doesn't prevent you from ripping it same as the main thing

edit: figure i'll also complain about prime having the most dogshit encodes for non-blessed devices of any service. poo poo's nigh-unwatchable if you run linux. that'd be... maybe expected in like 2009 but idk, netflix and hbo manage to stream proper HD to linux nowadays fine, idk why amazon can't. naturally this does nothing to stop the rippers, who have hacked HDCP keys and just decrypt the stream on trusted devices fine.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tighclops posted:

The extra "One Ship" extra videos are under the bonus content tab: