Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Wait, so next level, they've transplanted you and Sherwood to Ireland? That's some feat, man! Still, this is basically THUG 2, but with BMXes instead of boards, Dixon Von Blass instead of Bam Margera, and no explosions. We demand explosions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
Oh ho ho just you wait, son. You will NOT be disappointed!*

*(you will be disappointed)

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
I found a copy of Johnny Mosely Mad Trix in a Cash Converters today, I don't recall the price, but I don't think it was more than £2. If I got it would I be in for Rad Times?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

JamieTheD posted:

Wait, so next level, they've transplanted you and Sherwood to Ireland? That's some feat, man! Still, this is basically THUG 2, but with BMXes instead of boards, Dixon Von Blass instead of Bam Margera, and no explosions. We demand explosions!

Vifs and zackcat confirmed new special guests 20XX hype.

I only wish it was THUG 2. That's right, I said it, I wish I could ride around, swap characters and do extremely stupid things, instead of riding around and incompetently doing mildly stupid things. But there are some (weak) explosions next level. We take out a bunch of cameras by shooting them with cannons. So maybe that sounds cool, I guess?

Six Of Spades posted:

I found a copy of Johnny Mosely Mad Trix in a Cash Converters today, I don't recall the price, but I don't think it was more than £2. If I got it would I be in for Rad Times?

It will be sexsational.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 20, 2013

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Time flies. Next up on Toxic Grind, we get a little jiggy and run through some medieval deathtraps in this actually-alright level.

Toxic Grind Part 6: It has nothing to do with Robin Hood

Text Link

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

At least it has, er... Trees, possibly made of actual wood? Also, I would like to bet that lady who helps us (y'know, the one I don't care about enough to remember her name) gets captured by the next ep, and at some point in the future we have to (GOSH! DRAMA! EXCLAMATION POINTS AND CAPS!) fight her, due to brainwashing or her actually being a douche or something.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
That looked like a fairly decent level, though the constant cutaway to cannons shooting got rather grating. Also, I'm mightily disappointed that Animal wasn't some mutant animal-man like a shark or a bear to live up to his name. I mean, if they can make time travel work, why not do some horrible genetic experiments on the side?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

JamieTheD posted:

At least it has, er... Trees, possibly made of actual wood? Also, I would like to bet that lady who helps us (y'know, the one I don't care about enough to remember her name) gets captured by the next ep, and at some point in the future we have to (GOSH! DRAMA! EXCLAMATION POINTS AND CAPS!) fight her, due to brainwashing or her actually being a douche or something.

It would actually be kind of funny if Arianna joined up with the bad guy just because she was a complete rear end in a top hat. All I can say is that if this game hasn't even tried to get anyone emotionally invested in it, it's probably not going to start now.

Daigerus posted:

That looked like a fairly decent level, though the constant cutaway to cannons shooting got rather grating. Also, I'm mightily disappointed that Animal wasn't some mutant animal-man like a shark or a bear to live up to his name. I mean, if they can make time travel work, why not do some horrible genetic experiments on the side?

I have a feeling that pink hair was 'natural', if you know what I'm saying.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You weren't thinking of Hard Truck Apocalypse as the post-apocalyptic cargo-hauling game, were you? It certainly fits.

Anyway, this new sports joint is pretty ludicrous, but it looks like it might be fun with a better engine. It seems to be a little more... honest about its extremity, I suppose? Dystopian game show is a little more buyable than whatever the justification for, say, Freekstyle is supposed to be.

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

Ovues posted:

"wtf how am I supposed to get anywhere in here?"

By train, evidently.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

blanktester posted:

By train, evidently.

As is evident in the next part of TOXIIIIIC GRIIIIIIND where apparently real-life trains are running through the fake set of the next level. Did they not have enough budget to make more sets and just stuck halfpipes n poo poo in a public place for us to trick off? Who knows. Either way, this next level is pretty cool, but it's again way too big for its own good. In this thread, have I ever complained of a level being too small? It always seems to be the other way around.

Toxic Grind Part 7: Of course the trains run on time

Text Link

*if you can't hear the director guy because of his lovely audio, he's just saying "ratings are down, better kill this kid soon or there will be problems"*

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

I love how one of the tracks you played during that episode was "The Logical Song". Because, y'know, this game is renowned for its clear logic. Also, my optometrist thanks the developers of this game for making that level.

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

Ovues posted:

"ratings are down, better kill this kid soon or there will be problems"

Why do they care about ratings in the first place? BMX is illegal in the future anyways, so if Toxic Grind is being run on the state's dime anyways then who cares?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

blanktester posted:

Why do they care about ratings in the first place? BMX is illegal in the future anyways, so if Toxic Grind is being run on the state's dime anyways then who cares?

Ratings are down because Jason is still alive. The audience isn't getting their death quotient or whatever.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

blanktester posted:

It's like the Running Man, even down to "Well, gently caress, he isn't dying, maybe this barbaric system is horrible after all!"

Bonus headbob points if they have someone voting for Jason instead of one of the bad guys in an event.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
On the next episode, our bald-headed bad guy just straight up jumps the rails and doesn't look back.

Toxic Grind Part 8: Dixon-sama, you're looking pretty uguu there

Text Link

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

So yeah... That was our single explosion? That was IT?

And, as you've just mentioned, Ariana gets no more screen time, and presumably lives or dies offscreen, and... Yeah, it's not really surprising so few people care about this game.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

JamieTheD posted:

So yeah... That was our single explosion? That was IT?

And, as you've just mentioned, Ariana gets no more screen time, and presumably lives or dies offscreen, and... Yeah, it's not really surprising so few people care about this game.

There's another two levels, and a few more cutscenes. I said this was the last 'boss battle' but there's still some more to get through.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

That explosion was amazing. It literally looked like an animated gif they pasted into the scene.

Also 'Technical difficulties Be back soon! ^_^'. Outstanding.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I like to think they didn't mute the sound so everyone watching at home could hear the massacre.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Croccers posted:

I like to think they didn't mute the sound so everyone watching at home could hear the massacre.

That brings up an interesting point - there's nothing that really indicates whether what the 'bad guy' is saying is being heard by the studio audience / tv audience / the player / etc.

Christ I think I'm putting more thought into this fictional world than the developers.

Gaiza
Aug 19, 2013

You talk about redefining my identity. I want a guarantee that I can still be myself.
I remember seeing Toxic Grind back in 2001 in a gaming magazine and was uninterested in it, but seeing how clunky this game is and how stupid this story is, I've just been watching this LP seeing how far it would go.

Also, Dixon Von Blass breaking out the anime face. Amazing.

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Ovues posted:

Ratings are down because Jason is still alive. The audience isn't getting their death quotient or whatever.

JamieTheD posted:

It's like the Running Man, even down to "Well, gently caress, he isn't dying, maybe this barbaric system is horrible after all!"

Bonus headbob points if they have someone voting for Jason instead of one of the bad guys in an event.

You both missed my point. I didn't ask why ratings are down, we all know why. I asked why they, the show's creators, care about ratings. They're performing a public service, and if they don't do it then they'll just have to go back to executing BMX riders. It doesn't make a difference either way because the government is paying for the drat thing anyways.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

blanktester posted:

You both missed my point. I didn't ask why ratings are down, we all know why. I asked why they, the show's creators, care about ratings. They're performing a public service, and if they don't do it then they'll just have to go back to executing BMX riders. It doesn't make a difference either way because the government is paying for the drat thing anyways.

You, uh, never saw the Running Man? Keep in mind, this thing is pretty much "The Running Man", but with less awesome actresses as love interests, and an rear end in a top hat played by Jon St. John (quelle surprise) instead of the "likable" Killian. Also with BMXs. The whole system depends on the populace thinking it's a good idea, and this guy is loving it up by showing people the powarrr of BMX, or some bollocks like that. It doesn't make sense, but then, nor does systematic murder of anyone who dares to try any sport where they might eventually top themselves anyways...

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

JamieTheD posted:

You, uh, never saw the Running Man? Keep in mind, this thing is pretty much "The Running Man", but with less awesome actresses as love interests, and an rear end in a top hat played by Jon St. John (quelle surprise) instead of the "likable" Killian. Also with BMXs. The whole system depends on the populace thinking it's a good idea, and this guy is loving it up by showing people the powarrr of BMX, or some bollocks like that. It doesn't make sense, but then, nor does systematic murder of anyone who dares to try any sport where they might eventually top themselves anyways...

I haven't seen the movie, no, but what you said

quote:

The whole system depends on the populace thinking it's a good idea, and this guy is loving it up by showing people the powarrr of BMX,
is exactly what I'm NOT saying.

The state is controlling and paying for the show Toxic Grind. Why would they give half a poo poo about the viewers? It's clearly some kind of totalitarian society, the ratings and the viewers shouldn't matter at all.

Anyways, I'm really curious how this game ends if that was the last boss...

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

blanktester posted:

The state is controlling and paying for the show Toxic Grind. Why would they give half a poo poo about the viewers? It's clearly some kind of totalitarian society, the ratings and the viewers shouldn't matter at all.

The same reason governments like their constituents as docile as possible. The mass riots here in Britain last year? Those got triggered by a single shooting, sure, but the actual causes were much deeper. Either way, the result was a lot of poo poo broken, a lot of poo poo stolen, a lot of injured police officers, a fair few more civilians injured... The list goes on, but when people rise up en masse, it's a god-drat scary thing.

And only two things in this totalitarian state keep people quiet: The heavy (and militarised) police presence, and shows like Toxic Grind. Toxic Grind is the highest rated show, so it's got the widest audience. If even half that audience suddenly decide that an uprising is a really good idea, said totalitarian government is in deep poo poo.

Hehe, of course, we're debating the politics of an extremely janky extreme sports game, but seriously, not for nothing is civil insurrection over stupid poo poo on pretty much every police force and military's response procedure programme.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I actually don't get why ratings are down. I mean, apparently everyone dies on this show and here's this dude, unlocking never-before-seen stages to go bicycle crazy on.

Maybe everyone's just forgotten what bike riding looks like.

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Glazius posted:

I actually don't get why ratings are down. I mean, apparently everyone dies on this show and here's this dude, unlocking never-before-seen stages to go bicycle crazy on.

Maybe everyone's just forgotten what bike riding looks like.

Hm. That's true. On the other hand, maybe the people genuinely hate BMX riders, and they watch the show to watch them die.

quote:

And only two things in this totalitarian state keep people quiet: The heavy (and militarised) police presence, and shows like Toxic Grind.

And my whole point is that they probably have enough of the former to make the latter largely un-necessary. I mean, at some point they must have, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to start up the show at all.

And yes, we're going pretty deep into this nonsense story... but we have to go DEEPER.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

blanktester posted:

And my whole point is that they probably have enough of the former to make the latter largely un-necessary. I mean, at some point they must have, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to start up the show at all.

And yes, we're going pretty deep into this nonsense story... but we have to go DEEPER.

Y'know what? What the hell, it passes the time...

Essentially, things like this always start small. Why do you think some of us brits dropped a brick when the news started reporting on the Tea Party? Because all it takes is one group of nutjobs in power to really gently caress things up. But totalitarian states, unless the leader(s) are really on the ball, tend to have a self-destruct switch embedded in the system: Corruption becomes endemic, it fucks with the budget, and you end up relying more and more on the appearance of things, bread and circuses, if you will. It's not actually shown in the game whether it truly has a large military force (from the sounds of it, ten, maybe fifteen guys came in and shot the whole crowd stone dead), but you can only have a small proportion of your population in the military, or police, or whatnot, for budgetary reasons (training, equipment, the like, they're all hideously expensive, when it all adds up, not to mention wages), and besides, why would you want a large military that could then install itself in power?

No, you run it by fear of getting put up against that wall, and by pacifying the masses with bread and circuses. Unfortunately, circuses have a way of going horribly wrong in this context. Popular gladiators who refuse to fight the enemy they've come to respect, slave uprisings, all that fun bollocks. But the main thing is that you can only have a military so large, you can only have a police so large, and you're generally going to have a ratio of at least ten civilians to one authority type, probably more if it's as polluted and overpopulated as these dystopias often are.

Dystopias like this, basically, have the seeds of their own destruction within them, because there are limits, and even totalitarian governments have to toe the line somewhere. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have watched Running Man either, and haven't realised that the option of giving our hero a "victory" and a nice, extended holiday (IE - Take him out back and shoot him) is an option. Well, unfortunately for them.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
drat, man, I can't wait to get to the rest of the games with plot now. Imagine all the dissertations you could write about Dark Summit or whatever. Either way, on the next episode of Toxic Grind, we make our way through a floating city and get Arianna back.

Toxic Grind Part 9: Embracing defeat is not on the menu

Text Link

*alternative titles*
Part 9: Skeletons from Jason's closet
Part 9: MAN am I deaf!
Part 9: drat, Dixon-sama, you are so uguu it hurts

Insetik fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 7, 2013

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

So, what you're basically saying is hrmmuh grmfuthuuu derpuherpumuhhh? Got it, that's drat good advice for dealing with both life, and that terrible, terrible level (with one awesome feature.)

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

JamieTheD posted:

So, what you're basically saying is hrmmuh grmfuthuuu derpuherpumuhhh? Got it, that's drat good advice for dealing with both life, and that terrible, terrible level (with one awesome feature.)

As blanktester just told me in real life, never before has there been a debate where both sides agreed so much on the main issue and then disagreed slightly on some smaller things.

Keep it up you two :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
She had blond hair because rescuing blondes makes for better ratings. I mean, duh.

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Ovues posted:

Keep it up you two :allears:

Just to spite you, no, I refuse to continue. I concede, you win, Jamie.

But when the plot block comes... OH FUCKS you guys better be ready. I'm gonna write whole essays and poo poo. And then you guys will be saying hrm hrmble hrmblbe hhherhr.

blanktester fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 10, 2013

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
On the final episode of Toxic Grind, we have one final moment of hope and desperation, but not before riding around on a boat and some docks and other stuff. Why is the last level so absolutely boring? I don't know, skip to the plot if you want.

Toxic Grind Part 10: Time is on my side

Text Link

Alternate title: Toxic Grind Part 10: What do you mean the words are actually "YOUNG HEARTS be free tonight"?

So that about wraps up Toxic Grind. There's a bonus video for the single event mode and the level we unlocked but that's about it. I really should have been recording whatever the next game is, but college this year has been pretty tough at the start and is looking to stay the same. If blanktester and I can't film a few things we want to do, I might just do the Plot Block next and just pretend Toxic grind was the start of it. Whatever I do, I hope Toxic Grind was an experience, because it was one for me.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
It seems appropriate that this game ends in Nickelodeon gunge. It's a goofy-as-gently caress game show after all.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I don't recall if the ticker brought it up in other levels, but did you being good at BMX bankrupt Future America?

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Croccers posted:

I don't recall if the ticker brought it up in other levels, but did you being good at BMX bankrupt Future America?

Jason Hayes: Paragon of Justice.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

This was the most teh-sunder-uh game I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If I thought the Toxic Grind people were doing terrible explosion GIFs and throwing Gak at the camera on purpose I'd actually be kind of amused by it.

• Locked thread