Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
drat those dirty apes! drat them to hell! Kill them all! Side with the Adventuress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Pity vote for "Propose a fair deal"

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

ArchWizard posted:

What kind of key unlocks the door to revenge? A mon-key!

:golfclap: Well played. I'll toss my vote towards either the monkey, or fair deal, whichever's most profitable for us. Don't side with the adventuress, just because she's a filthy double crosser.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Goodbye, madam Adventuress.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
We have to go save Barnabas, and that starts with taking revenge. Side with the monkeys!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Go Ape.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Side with the Adventuress.

She's a friend of devils, as are we, and she's a mistress of an Unfinished, as were we. There but for the grace of the Bazaar, go we.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The monkeys are obviously the cavalry swooping in to save you at the last second. The Adventuress, fraud and morally-deprived rival that she is, is a classic adventure story villain archetype. The villain dies at the end.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Blemmingans in the Empire of Hands? Surely nothing bad can ever come of that.

Please give remaining and future Blemmingans to:

Friendly guy in trenchcoat in Fallen London who asks for Blemmingans
Mount Palmerston
Port Cecil
Chelonate
Kingeater's Castle
And that weirdly empty spot on the bottom left corner of the map

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

i81icu812 posted:

And that weirdly empty spot on the bottom left corner of the map

Heh, that will be entertaining.

There's at least one port that Black Wombat hasn't been to yet, I'm looking forward to seeing both how he handles visiting that port and how the thread reacts to what is going down there.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 24, 2015

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
WELP.

It turns out, if you save where I saved at the end of that update, it... Breaks everything. Because you get to that story through a series of other, automatically-linking stories, you wind up in a place where your progression doesn't let you initiate any stories, but also you don't get brought back into it automatically. So much for their update that was supposed to save story progress when you saved.

Anyway! I saved previously in Varchas. No real harm done.

As a non-canon aside, enjoy this alternate method of crossing the Hall of History, if you didn't want to get enough Wyldweald status to get the red honey chip -

I'mma level with you all, the fact that you can't get Barnabas as an officer is one of my biggest story-based disappointments with this game.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah it seems like such an obvious option for a Clay Man officer too. I was really surprised when I checked the wiki only to find that there is no way to finish the story and get Barnabas as an officer.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I think that a pirate poet clay woman was planned as an officer but it was cut from the game. She's a companion in Fallen London and I think I remember seeing her on a preview of all the officer portraits.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Tehan posted:

I think that a pirate poet clay woman was planned as an officer but it was cut from the game. She's a companion in Fallen London and I think I remember seeing her on a preview of all the officer portraits.

She's still supposed to be in, eventually.

She's a kickstarter backer reward. Last I saw on the page, they were trying to figure out how to get her to kickstarter backers, and not other people, because they don't really have the infrastructure built into the game to do that.

That said, I hadn't even realized she was clay. I didn't realize there were clay women, either - I thought they were a monogendered people. Learn something new every day.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

I believe you can see (Or at least hear about) more clay-folk if you visit Polythreme. If you do the comtessa case in Fallen London it's confirmed that there ARE clay women. Even if it was a REAL woman who was turned into clay. Other than that though, I think the only difference between the two is how they appear visually. After all, they're basically living mud sculptures; I'm sure they could look any way they please

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
I wonder why they can't just do a metaquality for the people who kickstarted at that level or higher. Most people who play sunless sea play fallen london I would think.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

ousire posted:

I believe you can see (Or at least hear about) more clay-folk if you visit Polythreme. If you do the comtessa case in Fallen London it's confirmed that there ARE clay women. Even if it was a REAL woman who was turned into clay. Other than that though, I think the only difference between the two is how they appear visually. After all, they're basically living mud sculptures; I'm sure they could look any way they please

Yeah the description of Polythreme makes me think that living clay beings probably come in all shapes and sizes, including houses, giant underwater faces and possibly the island itself.

So there's no particular reason why there can't be clay women, though I would imagine they aren't really any different from clay men except visually.

December Octopodes posted:

I wonder why they can't just do a metaquality for the people who kickstarted at that level or higher. Most people who play sunless sea play fallen london I would think.

I kickstarted Sunless Sea and I do not play Fallen London. I think it's a good game but I'm not a fan of browser games. So there :colbert:

The main issue I think is how to identify people who kickstarted vs people who didn't, like they can create a meta quality for people who kickstarted but how do you make sure only kickstarter backers get the quality?

Neruz fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 25, 2015

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Neruz posted:

Yeah the description of Polythreme makes me think that living clay beings probably come in all shapes and sizes, including houses, giant underwater faces and possibly the island itself.

So there's no particular reason why there can't be clay women, though I would imagine they aren't really any different from clay men except visually.

To my understanding, literally everything on Polythreme is alive. everything. Including the food, water, clothes, and buildings. I believe the term "clay man" only applies to the actual humanoid entities made of clay though.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

ousire posted:

To my understanding, literally everything on Polythreme is alive. everything. Including the food, water, clothes, and buildings. I believe the term "clay man" only applies to the actual humanoid entities made of clay though.

I don't know how far the 'livingness' goes (does it extend to the food and water? Possibly) but yeah definitely 'inanimate' stuff like stone and cloth is alive in Polythreme. Clay man does indeed refer specifically to clay men, but my point was with so many different forms of 'life' on Polythreme there's no particular reason why there can't be clay women.

e: Hell if a clay man felt like it he could probably re-sculpt himself into a clay woman.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Fine dining on Polythreme must be nightmarish. Even the imported utensils would protest, and the plates mumble muffled obscenities beneath your meal. The Elder Continent sounds still distressingly vital, but at least Adam's Way doesn't scream.

Well, not the river and land, at least..

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Anticheese posted:

Fine dining on Polythreme must be nightmarish. Even the imported utensils would protest, and the plates mumble muffled obscenities beneath your meal. The Elder Continent sounds still distressingly vital, but at least Adam's Way doesn't scream.

Well, not the river and land, at least..

Guess what happens if you try shore leave on Polythreme!

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
Well when even a cave is a wound, and the most minor possession is a slave, it's not going to make people happy.

Neruz posted:

I kickstarted Sunless Sea and I do not play Fallen London. I think it's a good game but I'm not a fan of browser games. So there :colbert:

The main issue I think is how to identify people who kickstarted vs people who didn't, like they can create a meta quality for people who kickstarted but how do you make sure only kickstarter backers get the quality?

Well that is a problem, but they manage to keep kickstarter stuff to backers only in Fallen London. Maybe a brute force solution would be best? Or else they could send out a limited number of one time codes or something. Eh, I'm glad it's not my issue.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Neruz posted:

I don't know how far the 'livingness' goes (does it extend to the food and water? Possibly) but yeah definitely 'inanimate' stuff like stone and cloth is alive in Polythreme. Clay man does indeed refer specifically to clay men, but my point was with so many different forms of 'life' on Polythreme there's no particular reason why there can't be clay women.

e: Hell if a clay man felt like it he could probably re-sculpt himself into a clay woman.

Actually, it DOES extend to food and water! One of the quotes of Polythreme you can find somewhere said something along the lines of "The water I drank begged me to stop"

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

ousire posted:

Actually, it DOES extend to food and water! One of the quotes of Polythreme you can find somewhere said something along the lines of "The water I drank begged me to stop"

And suddenly my decision to never bother with shore leave on Polytheme seems like a very good idea indeed.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

ousire posted:

Oh Christ.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

ousire posted:

quote:

IN POLYTHREME THE BED I SLEPT ON WAS A SLAVE. THE ROOM WHERE I SLEPT WAS HACKED FROM SCREAMING STONE. THE WATER I DRANK BEGGED ME TO STOP. THEY PAID ME IN COIN THAT PLOTTED MY DOWNFALL. THE MEMORIES ARE TROUBLING. THIS PLACE IS BETTER.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
:stonk:

Well that's a little unsettling.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Also awesomely evocative.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Yeah, Polythreme manages to be more hosed up than the Iron Republic. I imagine compassion fatigue is frequent on an island where you need to feel compassion for everything.

STOP EATING ME IT HURTS IT HURTS
Shut up, nobody cares. :munch:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
If my food and drink regularly screamed at me for mercy I would be quite a bit thinner.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Neruz posted:

If my food and drink regularly screamed at me for mercy I would be quite a bit thinner.

I would LEAVE VERY QUICKLY

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It does also explain why Clay Men tend to like it when it is quiet; I imagine quiet is a little hard to come by in Polythreme.

marwood
Jan 19, 2004

Risky challenges mean you learn more.
Hello! Dev here. Enjoying reading this!

I don't want to derail the thread, but as fuel to your fire, here are two cups of coffee for your Fallen London characters. Use one from your inventory to get ten actions.

Enjoy, and happy zailing. :)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

marwood posted:

I don't want to derail the thread, but as fuel to your fire, here are two cups of coffee for your Fallen London characters. Use one from your inventory to get ten actions.

holy poo poo

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Don't ask where the coffee came from.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I already sort of explained it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

marwood posted:

Awesome!

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

I had a clay man character attached to a twitter account once. But I've completely forgotten the account handle, so I have no way of getting the account back, haha. :v:
I think they also removed access to making a clay man character as well at this point, so it's not like I can make another one.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

marwood posted:

Oh wow, thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying it so far.

Neruz posted:

It does also explain why Clay Men tend to like it when it is quiet; I imagine quiet is a little hard to come by in Polythreme.

Polythreme is the worst place by its nature. I venture that there ARE worse places on the Zee, but those are because of people (or spiders) doing terrible things to other people. Polythreme is just awful by its nature.

Even in Fallen London, it's a terrible place. In order to get there, you have to make something called the Screaming Map. The name is, it turns out, quite literal, because someone tore it in half at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Journal entry 28 – That which came before

From The Journal of Captain Petra Blackwood,

continued from the previous entry.

It was there that I discovered the Adventuress in a standoff with the Mayor – I knew, immediately, what I was to do. I don't take being buried alive lightly. And I wasn't going to let her get away with the Legacy.

Fortunately, it seems like everyone present was in agreement in the matter.

The only remaining order of business, then, was determining what was to be done with the Legacy. It was certainly not about to be returned to the tomb. And while I could have made an argument for taking some with me, I was happy to let the monkeys keep the monkey souls for their flying machine crew.

With that matter settles, the Adventuress was taken off to await the terrible mockery of justice that is the law in the Empire of Hands. As my crew made preparations for departure – it took some time, as I had bargained with several of the local monkeys to provide us with a supply of food for the trip ahead – I decided to see just what they'd planned to do.

While I had, in the moment, been strongly in favor of killing her – and I admit, given the chance, I still just might be – What she's having to endure, in the form of wretched humiliation, is probably better. I'll spread the word around in London among the captains that she shouldn't be picked up. Bad luck, I'll say. Traded her soul to the monkeys.

I imagine she might be here for quite a while.

Sepember 2nd, 1888

Our arrival in the Chelonate was, as it often is, heralded by the passing of great rotting beasts and clouds of vile insects.

After I collected my information from my usual sources, I heard the sound of someone offering unusual services. He sought tales, and would record them for a small fee. I now posess a Bound-Shark tooth with images of the Unfinished firing upon a Lorn-Fluke; it's a moving rendition. However, he wanted something else, the story of the killing of the turtle they live in. His direction to find 'History's Shore', to me, sounds like one of two places – On the shores of Parabola, or the shores of Nuncio. I'll have a chance to check them both on the return home.

Sepember 2nd, 1888

Just as our supplies were running thin, Aestival comes out of the darkness like a beacon of hope.

We filled our hold with its bounty, but there was a price to be paid. Slush, old salt that he was, did not tolerate the sun well. We held a service for him – after we got off the island. We each said a few words about the man who might be one of the few in the 'neath lucky enough to have flowers grow out of him instead of mushrooms.

Which isn't to say it WON'T be mushrooms. I failed to secure the Blemmigans while we loaded the hold, figuring they would not be interested in the sunny island. I was, it turns out, incorrect. One of them braved the sun and seems to be intent on setting down roots here. Hopefully it doesn't burn.

Sepember 5th, 1888

We will have visited Irem.

Our arrival has been accompanied by the arrival of a Blemmigan. It will grow in the dark, among rose petals and warm snow. It has always been, but someday they will remove it. For now, though – Blemmigans.

I will have traded most of the Darkdrop Coffee for Linen, but saved one bag to offer to the House of Amber Sky and have been dreaming ever since.

On the far side of dreams I found the Waswood, a place that old stories go and can live evermore.

The place is made for things that are forgotten. I was sharp. I will be guided by the dead. My companions and my wits lead me deep.

But the going had been slow. I was not for this place. People knew me, remembered me – but perhaps the Waswood would change that? I will not ever be completely forgotten. I have abandoned the place for now, but feel I left much of me behind. I must rest and be remembered.

And so, Petra reired to her cabin and plotted a course back to London. On the way, there were stops at Wisdom, Nuncio, Khan's Shadow, Khan's Heart and Gaider's Mourn. A pirate steam-pinnacle was sunk and a giant eel was hunted. The treasures and artifacts gained from Varchas were sold off in Khan's Shadow. No new events were encountered for the whole of the trip, although she did help another man escape from the White-and-Golds in Khan's Heart and she ate some mysterious meat in Gaider's Mourn.

Black Wombat fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 26, 2015

• Locked thread