Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

So Cassius went one on one with a dragon and walked away with its respect, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Now that Estelle has successfully tackled a loving dragon, the Guild is willing to admit she can go without a minder. For brief periods.

Choose two party members.

No, not three. Two. It'll make sense quite soon.

Hopefully.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Really Pants posted:

Choose two party members.

Zane and Schera.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Zane and Kloe because they didn't get much of a chance to play in Bose.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Olivier and Zane Team Drinking Buddies.

Agate demanding payment for the group's delivery services is great. Hopefully that Goldium won't ruin the local economy or anything.

And yeah, Cassius is basically a JRPG protagonist who grew up and had a family so of course he fought and befriended a legendary dragon at some point.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Schera and Kloe because they didn't get to do much in Bose.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Zane and Kloe because they didn't get much of a chance to play in Bose.

This guy knows what's up.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Chloe and Oliver

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm also going to vote for Kloe and Zane.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

AweStriker posted:

Zane and Schera.

I like this team.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Schera and Kloe because they didn't get to do much in Bose.
Nthing this.

And Schera's been on the bench awhile. She's probably getting quite antsy.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Gotta back Kloe and Zane.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I love how Estelle is now beyond the "There's no way dad could be buddies with a dragon"-stage of disbelief and now immediately moves to the "Yeah, of COURSE he's buddies with a dragon"-stage of sarcastic acceptance. How you've grown, Estelle.

I'd just go for the folks who are slightly underlevelled.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

-Dancing With The Wind-

Ooooh, I hope everyone's okay!
You don't suppose the tables got turned on 'em?
If that were to happen, Sieg would have returned to tell us that they're in danger.
For now, all we can do is trust in them and wait.
I hope so...
One hour until nightfall...Once that passes, we press our assault. Captain. Ready the men.
Sir.

quote:

That shall not be necessary.
Wh-Wh-What the hell was THAT?!
That wasn't just me?!
Where did that sound come from?!
Huh? It looks like something reeeeal big's coming up from below!
WHAT?!

quote:

Brave bannermen of Auslese. Hearken to my words. I am Ragnard, the dragon who has slumbered in these lands since time immemorial. My will was wrested from me, turned toward the machinations of the vile ones, but as surely as I speak to thee now, thy bracers have freed me. The full tale is theirs to tell...Till next we meet, I bid you fair skies.

Whoa! It's already out of sight!
Er...We gonna, uh, give chase?
We can't possibly chase him at that altitude. Even if the Arseille survived, we would suffocate.
Oh, Aidios...
Those bracers are going to have some explaining to do.

quote:

And thus, the incident of the dragon that had shaken the Bose region came to a close. Estelle and her group spent a long (long) time explaining everything that had happened to General Morgan. When they were finally let go, they delivered the goldia crystals entrusted to them by Ragnard to Maybelle and Reisen.

And so, one week later...

-In My Heart-

Ah!
You...

Never thought we'd meet here of all places. What brings you out here?
Oh...A little whimsy, I suppose.
You're here to make an offering to your sister, correct? Allow me to pardon myself.
Hey, hey, I didn't say you were in the way or anything.
And those flowers...They yours?
Yes, although...If I'd known the flowers would have company, I would have picked a different color.
I figured there was someone other than me settin' some flowers down here every year. Didn't think it was you, though.
Was it? An old man like me can hardly remember the things he's done over the years.
Heh, says the army general.
Heehee...!
Agate, could I place my flowers, too?
Oh...
Yeah, go on.

quote:

Agate and Tita stood for a moment in silent prayer.
*sigh*...
Sorry 'bout all this, Tita. Thanks for coming out here with me.
No, I wanted to give my respects to Mischa, too. So...thank you, Agate.
Whoa, there, that's enough of that. I should be thanking you. And hey, I promised I'd let you meet her once work had calmed down.
I guess you did, huh?
Haha...
The dragon apparently said as much already, but you've certainly changed, Mr. Crosner. You feel much calmer somehow.
Ah, cut that out. I've still got a ways to go.
But now I'm ready to actually do something about it. Everything really does start here.
Hmm...
The downsides of the army which you spoke of...Having thought them over again, I believe your argument had some merit.
Nah, that was just...you know, blowin' off some steam at people who didn't deserve it. It's not like I think the army did anything wrong.
No. Listen closely, now.
If there's anything I've learned from this, it's that we need both bracers and the army to properly function as a society. The organization and hierarchy of the army is certainly useful, but there are times when the bracers' swift actions lead to better results. Without both, we could never have stopped this crisis.
...True enough. It's thanks to your plan that we found the dragon at all.
Alan Richard had the right of it, in a way. The flow of information since orbments were developed has increased rapidly, to a point where no single group can capably manage it. The only way for us to process it all is to expand our numbers and allocate the work to progressively fragmented subdivisions.
The army's sure got that down. You've got the border garrison, airship crews, the Royal Guard, even the Intelligence Division...
Indeed.
It was a necessary evolution to keep pace with the times. Even if a multitude of issues have fallen through the cracks in the process...For us, there's no turning back.
That being said, you bracers are free to do as you will.
We as the army are limited, but you can--and by all accounts should--protect the people to the utmost of your abilities.
Come again?
That may cause our two factions to clash every so often, but we'll just as often come together in support for one another. Whatever the situation may call for, we've found a way to compensate for our flaws and keep from straying down the wrong path.
Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Heh...Kinda got a point there. All right, if it makes you happy, we'll keep buttin' into your business at every possible turn, General. Hope you're ready.
I could say the same to you. Keep in mind not to do anything TOO reckless.
Heehee...!
Young Man's Voice: Heh...Pardon me for disturbing such a peaceful moment.

-Silence-

Oh, no...
You are...

-Hamel-

I believe this is the first time we've met, General Morgan.
I am an Enforcer of Ouroboros. You may call me Leonhardt. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance.
What did you--

You...What the hell are you doing here?
This is a place where the dead rest. There's only one proper thing to do. Or do you intend to reenact our last meeting here, in a place like this?
Tch.
Agate...
I know.

quote:

Loewe offered silent prayer.
Leonhardt...'Loewe the Bladelord,' yes? I, too, do not wish to disturb the dead...But I have a question I would ask of you.
By all means.
Earlier, it seemed as though you kept the dragon from causing greater damage than it otherwise would have. And here you are now, offering prayers for the departed.
So why? Why would a man such as you bring chaos to our land? What sort of demons in your soul drive you to such acts?
The only reason I reined in the dragon's rampage was to conduct a proper experiment. I had no goal beyond that.
Surely--
General. I simply act as the hand of the society, as it orders. I am bound to the will of the society and no other.
Do not think to compare yourself to me. You, who are bound by force to silence over Hamel.
...!
Hamel? What's that place got to do with anything?
In any case...Agate Crosner.
Your resolve has clearly hardened, but that means nothing if you don't have the strength to support it. Should you fail to measure up the next time we meet, more than your sword will end up broken.
Oh, don't you worry about me. And the same goes for you, too, pal. Don't think you can just strut around all confident forever. I'll catch up to you real quick. Be ready.
Heh...I look forward to it.

He tries to be cold, but he was so sad when he was praying.
Hey. General. Hamel was a village just across the border in Erebonia, right?
You know the name, do you?
Us Ravennue folks occasionally had contact with them before the war.
Not anymore, though. Not sure why. Why would he bring that name up?
I'm afraid I am not free to speak on the subject. It connects to matters of international security.
To what...?!

I can, however, say this: If my suspicions about that man are true...
...then that man, Loewe, has stared into the pits of Gehenna with his own two eyes.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 29, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Aaaand motive by implication

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
That Leowe/Leon/Liono guy is trying real hard to be that honorable antagonist with a tragic past but has to fight the party anyway. Something about him just seems like he is full of it, though, like it is just all smug manipulation.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SweaterGear posted:

That Leowe/Leon/Liono guy is trying real hard to be that honorable antagonist with a tragic past but has to fight the party anyway. Something about him just seems like he is full of it, though, like it is just all smug manipulation.

It's the incessant "Heh." It might be the linchpin of the whole angsty swordmaster act, but it's not very personable.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

-Under the Moonlight-

...I can see the moon more clearly from here. And I can feel the breeze on my face.
Haha! Ooooh, you're being soooo mysterious, Joshua!

Okay, looks like you AREN'T just trying to be cool.
This is the sort of thing your job takes, isn't it?
The moonlight. The position of the clouds. The flow of the wind. Every detail is vital.
I wish to lower the possibility of failure as much as possible.
Lower the...
Lower the...! Don't say it like THAT, you idiot! If you 'fail,' you'll die, you know?!
Don't worry. The possibility of my failure is very remote. Back...in my previous life, I used to conduct missions like this every day.
The real danger will come if I succeed.
...Hey, Joshua? Do you really, absolutely need to do all this?
Hm?
You're Erebonian, same as us.
I mean, yeah, circumstances mean that none of us can really go home, but...
I just don't get it. Why do you feel like you owe this piddly little backwater anything? Just let these 'Ouroboros' idiots do whatever they want to it.
And, hey, it's still not too late, you know! You can come with us, away from Liberl! We can head out to some independent state and raise our flag there, y'know? And, hey, if you really don't like the whole 'Sky Bandit' gig, we can try and find something else to do!
I was talking to Kyle and Don, and we were thinking the Bobcat would make a good legit shipping vessel. You know, speed and all.
An airship delivery service? I could see it having some potential. Demand for that kind of service is certainly going up. It'd be a safer job than sky banditry, at any rate.
W-Well, then! Technically, we, uh, do have some berths open...
That you do...Once I've crushed the society's plan, and if I manage to survive, I'll think it over.
Ah, you needn't worry, this completes our contract.
As promised, your cooperation here means I'll consider the favor you owe me redeemed. You can depart whenever, I won't mind.
...orget it.
Mm?
YOU IDIOT! MORON! JERK! Who the hell was talking about DEBTS?!
Forget it! Who cares about you! Just go leap into danger and die, if that's all you wanna do!

Young Man's Voice: Aidios' mercy...Not easy playing dumb, is it?

Kyle.
I do wish she'd finally grow out of her more childish tendencies...Even so, I think you could've handled that better.
...It's true.
I cannot apologize, but I do feel sorry for what I've...done to her.
Man...you sure have an odd way of being nice, Astray.
You want to make it up to her, give that offer some serious thought. Assuming, of course, you won't be joining up with your nice, young bracer lady after this.
Haha...No, that won't be happening. In the end, the worlds we live in are too different. She and I should never meet again. It's for the best.
Hmmmmm...Well, if that's how you think.
In that case, Josette's offer does have some appeal, yeah?
It does...I am going to give it some thought.

:siren: *VRAMP* *VRAMP* *VRAMP* :siren:

Look who's decided to show themselves!

-Creeping Crisis-

Don, is that them?!
Yeah! It's just like the lad predicted! They're approaching from the northeast!
You heard the man. To the bridge.
Got it.

Sky Bandit Lonnie: The boss is on the bridge.
Sky Bandit Ryan: The Bobcat's in perfect condition. In other words, everything else is on you.

Sky Bandit Aaron: This sounds bad no matter how you look at it!

What's the situation?
Heh, just what you predicted it would be, lad. Look at the display.

Altitude of 1560 arge, entering Liberlian territory from the north-northeast at 2100 selge per hour. With that kind of altitude and speed, they aren't normal ships.
Looks like that special radar of yours is working, eh?
Don't congratulate me yet. We don't know who they are.
It's possible they're Erebonian scout ships or something.
Kyle, do we have any visual contact yet?
...Got them! Sending the image to your display!

Heheh. Well, that's the stage set, then. Now it gets exciting.
Let's do this, then!
Lad, you're ready for this, right?
Absolutely. Once I'm in place, begin immediately.

-Decision to Leave-

Don, Kyle...Josette...
Thank you for everything. Our relationship may have been based on a contract, but I'm glad I met you.
Wh...
What'n...
Huh?!
It would be a bit more appropriate to say it once the mission's over with. But...I may not get the opportunity. So let me say it now. Thank you.
Be well, everyone.

He just...
Heh. Dramatic till the very end.
Grr...!

Even at the very end, you manage to be SO UN-CUTE! What's all this 'thank you' business with a face like you're walking to your execution?!
You think hearing that'll make me happy?! You think...those are the words I want to hear?
Josette...
...Just, promise me. That you won't do anything too crazy. That you'll come back alive...
Given who I'm about to pick a war with, I can't guarantee anything.
But...
But...I will promise this. Even if I don't succeed at my goal...
I will come back alive and give you all my thanks.
Ah...!

Yeah...
Don't forget! I collect on my promises, buster!

-Engaged People in Secret Maneuvers-

Crimson Soldier Tom: Set course for Valleria Lake.
Crimson Soldier Dick: Roger. Doesn't look like the Liberlian airships noticed us. Stealth functionality...Nice little piece of tech they loaded us up with.
Crimson Soldier Harry: If we didn't have that doohickey we'd be causing a bit of a fuss right about now, y'know. I mean, forget us. Imagine what would happen if those Liberl hicks saw THAT monster comin' for them.
Crimson Soldier Dick: Haha, don't I wish I could see that.

*BLAM BLAM* *BOOM*

-Silence-

Crimson Soldier Harry: Wha...!
Crimson Soldier Dick: Are we under attack?!

-Recapture-

Crimson Soldier Tom: The hell are you idiots panicking for?! Check the drat radar!
Crimson Soldier Dick: Contact! One small ship approaching from four o'clock!
Crimson Soldier Harry: Database match...found! The Capua Sky Bandit airship 'Bobcat'! Reinford make!
Crimson Soldier Tom: SKY BANDITS?!

Now!

O-ho! So it did!
Time for us to beat it, then!

Crimson Soldier Harry: What do we do? Do we pursue?
Crimson Soldier Tom: No, leave 'em alone. If they were Royal Army we'd have to pike 'em all, but we don't have time to bother with small fries.
Crimson Soldier Harry: Understood.
Crimson Soldier Dick: Right now our only job is clearing the Glorious' flight path.
Crimson Soldier Tom: Let's head back to base for now. We should let Sir Campanella know about the bandits.

-Under the Moonlight-

Everything went exactly like the lad thought it would.
...Yeah.
Josette, don't worry.
It's Joshua Astray we're talking about. He'll come back safe.
Yeah...Yeah, he will.
He's got a promise to keep, after all.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Ahhh, this chapter is tied with 8(for very different reasons) as my favorite thing in all the trails games that are out in English right now.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

There is a somewhat annoying gimmick for one of the upcoming dungeons, but the payoff is more than worth it.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Josette's gonna be so disappointed if it turns out Joshua's being entirely literal.

Chapter 6 is short but a lot of great stuff happens in it. Looking forward to it!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I love this upcoming chapter SO MUCH.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Echoing the praise for this chapter. It's awesome. :allears:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
It is pretty good, even if it makes something Cassius said earlier completely wrong (in my opinon). We'll get to that eventually.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

-Crushed and Scarred-

The Bladelord is bold, if nothing else.
No kiddin'.
And I really screwed up in lettin' him get away...Sorry, guys. I've got no excuse.
No. You made the right choice in letting him go. A graveyard is no place for the living to settle their arguments.
Hamel, though...Why's that causing an itch in the back of m'skull?
Yeah, didn't Loewe mention that before?
Do you know anything, Kloe?
I don't, I'm sorry.
I imagine Grandmother would know something, but...Given that it seems to be some kind of state secret, she may not be willing to tell me until I'm older.
Argh. Good point.
How about you, Olivier? Hamel's in Erebonia, right?
It is, although...
Even we don't speak of it much, so it's always a surprise to hear it brought up in conversation.
Oh. Why's that?
Hamel was a village in the southernmost reaches of the Empire, near the Liberlian border. I say 'was,' for you will find it on no map of the Empire today.
Huh?!
It's not gone, is it?
The village was demolished in a landslide some time ago. A number of the residents lost their lives then. As I understand it, it is now little more than empty ruins and ghosts.
That's awful!
So that's it, huh?
B-But still, even if a lot of people died, that's no excuse for his actions.
I have...undersold the scale of the disaster, I think. Rumor says that VERY few of the villagers survived. Only rescue units saw precisely what happened. But few living these days can claim to know a Hamel resident.
It was that bad...?
It's not unheard of for landslides to swallow entire settlements.
They're sometimes called 'mountain tsunamis' because of how they create waves of pure rock and earth.
It's an odd thing to suddenly bring up in context, however.
I mean, what in the world could Hamel have to do with Her Majesty and General Morgan? Or Liberl at all?
Alas, at this point we don't know enough to confirm or deny anything.
Mmm. Let me poke my old nose around the various corners of the guild to see what I can find out.
And enough about Hamel for now. We've got other business! First of all, let me give you payment for all you've done.

quote:

Received payment for [Dragon Assault Case].
Payment in mira: 2000 (+0)
Gained BP: 3 (+3)
Received payment for [Dragon Pursuit].
Payment in mira: 8000 (+0)
Gained BP: 7 (+0)

Rank advancement to [Senior Bracer - C+ Rank].
Received Grail Locket accessory as a perk.
Immunity to every ailment, including deathblows. Yeah, Estelle's probably never taking this off.
You went through quite a lot with this dragon mess! You've done the name of the guild proud.
Ah-haha...You really think so?
We still didn't stop whatever experiment they were runnin'. Don't think we can claim much of a victory on this one.
This also means they've conducted experiments in all of Liberl's major regions. We have to figure out what the society plans to do next as soon as we can.
Yes, about that.
Why don't you all take a break for a little while?
Huh?
Rest? But Schera just said--
Oh, I heard, but I'm serious. You've been running around from Ruan to Grancel to here, solving case after case with barely so much as time to sleep. If you don't take at least a single moment to unwind, you'll snap your springs!
But we can't just take a break in the middle of something so important.
We need to be able to get out there if they pull something. I dunno if we can just slack off, but the old man does have a point.
The army's patrols have kicked into high gear thanks to all the dragon shenanigans. They should be able to handle any immediate danger, I think.
And I've been meaning to mention...It seems Kurt's team has found IT.
HUH? 'It'? Wait, like--
You mean they found Ouroboros' base?!
Yes. Kurt reported they got a solid lead a few days ago.
If they can pinpoint the base, you'll be busy again soon enough. So I really think it would be a good idea to rest while you can.
Yeah, I see...Hrm...
In that case, I'll take you up on that, Lugran. Remember, part of a bracer's duty is to ensure he can keep performing his duties. Getting rest is a part of that.
True enough.
Well, I guess the world ain't gonna end if we take a breather.

-Commercial City of Bose-

Bracer wisdom prevails again. Zane, you are a sage and a gentleman!
Still, Lugran, given that you're suggesting a break...I assume you have a destination in mind?
Heh heh! Sharp, Olivier.
Truth be told, I got a little something nice from Mayor Maybelle. She wanted it separate from your normal pay for the dragon business.
Huh? What else could she be paying us with?
Oh, just a reservation at the Kingfisher Inn on the lakefront to the south. She's paid for all of you to stay there for three days.
SERIOUSLY?! SWEET!

quote:

Received Overnight Ticket.
Ah! The hospitality of Bose's beautiful mayor once again shines like a beacon through the fog of weariness!
Haha. Yes, it's just like Maybelle to do something like this.
So we're going on a vacation, right? To the Kingfisher Inn?
Mmm-hmm! That's right.
It's a luxurious inn with a fantastic view of Valleria Lake. They're famous for their food, fine spirits, and they provide boats for going out onto the lake.
Hee, that sounds great!
This does sound like a nice little vacation.
Yeah, if we gotta take a load off, Kingfisher's close to the best place in Liberl to do it.
You got that right!
Let's not waste Maybelle's kindness, guys! C'mon!

You get an actual chance to swap out the whole team's equipment here, because the three characters you don't pick will be briefly unavailable until you meet them down at the Kingfisher Inn. I'm at a loss as to why they didn't just do this for the whole game.

Thanks for doing this, guys. Make sure we all get checked in!
Lugran called ahead of us, so I doubt we'll have TOO much trouble getting rooms for everyone.
Leave it to us, Estelle.

I mean, the whole dragon mess has died down, but it might've kicked up some other issues, and I'm still kinda worried...
Well, Lugran did have a point earlier, remember. There IS some wisdom in not overdoing it and simply going to enjoy the lakefront.
You have a point...
All right, let's just tie up the loose ends and head to Valleria Lake!
Let's.

There are a couple new jobs but SCREW THAT, WE'RE ON VACATION

Jacob: The flights and shipping's resumed, so everything is as it should be again. Hoho! Ah, what a tough old town Bose is.

WOOOOO VACATION

Butler Mayner: My only remaining concern is the young mistress' health. We shall take care to ensure she does not overwork herself.

You have my most sincere thanks for helping Miss Maybelle.
Uh, yeah...I kinda feel like YOU'RE the one who suffered the most in all this.
Are you sure you're okay?
I am fine. Please do not worry on my account. More importantly, I believe you are heading to the Kingfisher Inn on Miss Maybelle's invitation? You have been working very hard, between the dragon case and other things...
Please, enjoy this chance to relax. Miss Maybelle worries after you greatly.
Aww, thanks! We'll enjoy ourselves, trust me.

If you're wondering about the goldia crystal, don't worry; I'll use it very carefully.
By the way, has Lugran told you about the arrangements I made?
Yeah, he just told us. We'll be glad to, uh, abuse your hospitality, if you don't mind!
Abuse it to your heart's content. I know it isn't much of a holiday, but do try to get some rest.
Oh, we intend to.
Yeah! Don't worry, we'll take it easy.
Hmmhmm. They do say resting is part of a bracer's job. Have a good holiday, everyone.

Sting: I should be able to cover Bose now. Sorry you had to spend time filling in for me.
Oh jeez yeah try not to strain yourself after all that help you helped us with

Sting, more like Stink

Minuet: I've got top-class carpets from the Republic for just 500 mira! Just 500 mira! And you know what else?! As part of our return to business campaign...You get another one of the same carpet for freeeeee! What a deal!

Man, this is all old news.

-A Cat Relaxing in the Sun-

Wha...?!

Ooooh, it's a long and harrowing story!
We met Mr. Kevin on the road here. We invited him to come, too!
On the road? Why were you traveling again, Kevin?
To be honest, my goal was to investigate the Amberl Tower. After we said our goodbyes in Rolent I've been runnin' around looking into all the towers.
All the towers?
Have you already visited the other towers, Father Graham?
Yep, I've been busy with that, pretty much. That's why I was kinda AWOL during the whole dragon business...Sorry I couldn't give a hand with that.
I figured you guys might come out here for a break after that, so...
That makes sense.
Well, then! Should we have a sit-down right now?
Howsabout we do it over dinner? That'll help the, uh, information flow freely, y'know?
Oh, yeah!
...Er, so you're really staying here, Kevin?
Hahaha! Wellll, from what I hear, this is a pretty famous inn, right?
Like your friends said, I figured I'd join in the festivities...if you don't mind.
That's, uh, kind of out of the blue.
You have helped us out a LOT, though...What do you think, guys?
I ain't got a problem with it.
Hmmmm, it IS a nice way to settle our debt to the good Father.
Heehee...Yeah, I want him to stay too!
I see no reason to object.
Haha...I wonder if it's fate bringing us together?
Well, if he's here, let's have some fun!
Thank ya!
Ain't much in the way of thanks, but if you've still got stuff that needs doin', I'd be happy to tag along. Abuse me as much as you need!

Sure! Well, if you want to help with something, Kevin...

The Kingfisher is where you can switch out your team for the first part of this chapter.

Now I feel like doing something ZANY and RANDOM. Like making sure Father Kevin is leveled up as much as possible, and his orbment is fully upgraded.

SUCH WHIMSIES

With this group, Estelle gets to be the beatstick.

I could have replaced one of those Lucks with Petrify, Poison, or Mute to get Titanic Roar, if I'd been paying attention at all.

Okay good vacation everyone now get back to work

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 28, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 30, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I didn't know that you could swap Kevin into the party at the Kingfisher.

Generally speaking, people put an Action quartz into Kevin's mandatory Time slot and a cast into the short line, letting him fill the rest with quartz to pump up his magic. (This is also your last chance to go get an EP 4, Hit 4 and EP Cut 4's before the bit when they'll come in really handy. I think that a Wisdom monster might drop one of those? Or maybe that's just HP 4, which is also a thing you really want to have.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 28, 2016

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Wait... according to the news it's already been a whole WEEK since the dragon attack? Seriously? It feels like it only happened a couple of hours ago!

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Time passes weird in these games, like FC takes place over 2-3 months but pretty much the only time you get any perception of time flowing is the two weeks Estelle and Joshua spend at Jenis.

Maybe all the roads between cities are longer than they seem.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The Doomhammer posted:

I think this. How big is Liberl, exactly? Switzerland?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Doomhammer posted:

Road signs generally list distances to towns or borders somewhere between 100 and 300 selge. If we assume that's close to a kilometer, then they're definitely longer than they look.

Just think of how often you actually see Estelle and company get any food or sleep. That's not doing their time and distance perception any favors.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

an arge is a meter so i think a selge is supposed to be a km. it would make sense although it means the arseille has a max speed of like mach 3

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Cake Attack posted:

an arge is a meter so i think a selge is supposed to be a km. it would make sense although it means the arseille has a max speed of like mach 3

That seems a bit too high. Maybe a Selge is 100/200 m? I don't think the Arseille's frame could sustain mach 3 without going into pieces.

E: then again, it is a military vessel. It still feels too high, but it's fantasy, whatever.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Stephen9001 posted:

Wait... according to the news it's already been a whole WEEK since the dragon attack? Seriously? It feels like it only happened a couple of hours ago!

Maybe Agate really did need three days rest and it took some time before the military had their plan ready?

But yeah time is pretty odd since it only passes during story events, so sometimes the days are short like in Grancel during the tournament, and other times you can walk from Rolent to Bose to the Haken Gate back to Bose then to Ravennue village then to the mine all in one day.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Trails is at least not worse with time and distance than other JRPGs.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder who decided to anonymize the dragon's donation.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Glazius posted:

I'm willing to put money down on Agate being the "anonymous donor" who gave the dragon's donation to the townsfolk.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Glazius posted:

It might have been Nial himself. Note that at no point does the article mention that the dragon was a sentient creature who ended up briefly speaking to Morgan and Julia.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Corna: Of course, what is it?
Are you Corna? We're from the Bracer Guild.
Corna: Oh, my, yes! Thank you for coming. I've been waiting. This must be about my request.
Nice to meet you, then! I'm Estelle Bright, senior bracer.
Corna: My apologies for calling on you like this...But I fear I have no other resources left to me. This will take some time to explain...Can you hear me out?
Of course! Go ahead.
Standing will just tire us, I think. Why not take a seat before we begin?
Good idea! Lemme see if I can claim us a table.

Someone you haven't met in ten years.
Corna: Yes, I'm searching for my niece. Her name is Raini. If she's alive, she would be about twenty now.
Wait, 'if she's alive'? I don't quite--
Ten years...yes, I see.
Only one thing could have happened ten years ago in such a case...
...The Hundred Days War, isn't it?
Oh...
Corna: Yes, exactly. When hostilities broke out, my sister was staying in this city. She wasn't able to get out before the Imperial Army reached the city. Thanks to an acquaintance of my sister's, I soon learned of her and her husband's...passing. And while I never had word of exactly what happened to Raini...Well, it was easy to just assume. It's been ten long years...I'd completely given up, assuming Raini had long since joined the Goddess. But very recently, I learned something new. A source told me that Raini had not only survived, but had been adopted by someone here in Bose.
So then you think Raini's alive?
Corna: Honestly? I don't know. I barely dare to hope. And what's worse, my source was so vague. I have no idea WHO adopted her!
Oof, that makes things harder.
Corna: But...my heart tells me to believe. To believe the sweet little girl my sister loved is alive. I must believe, which is why I beg you, help me.
I don't think anyone here will doubt you, ma'am. This is certainly something worth looking into.
We don't have much in the way of clues, though. All we have is a name and an age, right?
Corna: I do have a photograph of Raini, as well.
A photo? That'd help!
Corna: Yes, it's not much, but...

Haha, she's adorable.
Haha! Seriously! So she'd be, what, ten in this?
Corna: Yes, it was taken right on her tenth birthday. Just before her family left on holiday.

Estelle, is something bothering you?
Oh, uh, it's nothing, really. I was just kinda...mad, I guess. An innocent kid like that, caught up in that stupid war...
Not unlike Estelle and her own parents, come to think of it.
It IS hard to find the words.
It falls to us, then, to make it right.
Ah...
Yeah...yeah!
Ma'am, we will take the photograph, if you don't mind.
Corna: Please, by all means.

quote:

Received Photograph of Raini.
Well, we know what she looks like now, but...How are we actually gonna do this? Raini could be anywhere. She might not even be IN Bose anymore!
Hmm. We do, at least, have the photograph. Someone may recognize her from that time. We should ask around.
Do you think that'll work?
In a way, ten years is not that long. Someone should at least remember her, even if they do not know precisely what became of her.
It is our best shot, I guess. Let's start asking around, then.
Corna: Please, you are my only hope. If you find anything out, come by here again.
We will!

Alright, now to find somebody who remembers this girl.

That one's going to be a challenge, I suspect, but do your best to solve it. That poor woman who submitted the request seems to be at the end of her rope.

Sting: I think your best clues will be hair and eye color. Other outward physical signs or mannerisms change as people grow older, and you're working on a decade here, right? Discard any expectations or biases you may have. Focus on the constants.
But do you have any idea just how many women with blue hair there are in Liberl?! That doesn't narrow it down at all!

Manager Lechter: Well, I don't recall seeing her back then during the war, but it's just...Those EYES. Those green eyes of hers, they jump out at me, and I don't just mean they're cute or something. I swear someone with eyes like hers has visited the Anterose. But who...?

Father Holstein: Forgive me--I'm afraid I have no recollection of her. Still, I'm sure you'll come to meet with her if you follow the Goddess' path. Do what you must, and may you never lose hope.

You recognize it?
Butler Mayner: I do not recall this photograph precisely, no. But...I distinctly remember seeing another picture of the girl shown here in the master's study. I do wonder who it was a picture of. Perhaps you could find something there.

I'm not sure what to do now. How are we ever going to resolve this if we can't find one person in this town who recognizes Lila?

Let's just ask her for a list of everyone she knows.

Th-Th-Tha-that p-picture...
Uh...yeah. You see--

quote:

Estelle explained that the group was looking for Corna's niece, who went missing in the Hundred Days War.
I...I see.
Do you have any idea who's in this photo?
Please bear with Estelle, she bumped her head on a dragon last week.
No...I'm afraid not.
...You're sure? You looked just a BIT surprised when you saw it.
Yes, I was struck by how much that girl resembles an acquaintance. I was a little unsure if it was her. I'm sorry, but I must get back to work. Pardon me. I am in the middle of cleaning. I am sincerely sorry, but if you have business with me, it will have to wait for another time.

Estelle, where in the world did you get this picture?
Uh, well...

quote:

Estelle explained that the group was looking for Corna's niece, who went missing in the Hundred Days War.
Is...that so...? Why has this come up now, of all times...
Why do I get the feeling you have some idea of what's up?
I...I may, at that.
Out of curiosity. Have you shown that photograph to Lila yet?
Yeah, actually, we showed it to her a bit ago.
Did you, now...? Did she say anything?
Yeah, she REALLY freaked out for a moment when she saw it. She didn't say much of anything, though.
Though it was SO obvious she was hiding something it almost hurt.
I see. Blast it, Lila, why...*sigh* I suppose it falls to me to explain.
Er, I think I'm a little lost. You know the girl in the picture?

-Silence-

Of course I do. I've known the girl in that picture for ages, and she's...very important to me. Because the girl in that picture...is Lila.

-In My Heart-

Say WHAT?!
Oh, my!
Certainly not what I expected!
Think even the Goddess'd be surprised at that one. And she's, y'know, omniscient.
This is no time for sarcasm you guys
Ummm...you're sure?
Completely and absolutely.
Lila came to our home on a certain day ten years ago. The day the army of Erebonia began its assault on the city of Bose.
No way...
When Father returned after assisting in the evacuation of much of the citizenry, he had a girl with him. Father would only say that she had been entrusted to him by strangers. That girl was Lila. Not that I look, she was even wearing the same clothes then, though they were bloody and torn.
It all matches Corna's testimony, and even explains some of the questions.
I believe we have found 'Raini.'
One thing, though: the names. We're looking for a girl named Raini, not Lila.
Raini? So that was Lila's old name?
Er, yeah, that's what Corna told us, at least. Hang on, you didn't know Lila's real name, Maybelle?
No, she never told us...
She did not name herself? I find it hard to believe she did not know her own name at that age.
I wish she could've given her name...or anything, in those days. When Lila came to live with us, she could barely say anything at all. How can I even describe it? It was as if she was in a state where she'd forgotten how to speak entirely.
How would that even...
Son of a...Medically, we call it temporary aphasia. It's when you lose the ability to speak. It can be caused by extreme mental trauma, like seeing your...A girl like her had to see something so horrible it took her ability to speak...
Yes, her soul was far more hurt than her body when she came to live with us. We all tried our best, but Lila always kept a little distance between herself and everyone else. So we never learned her true name.
So how'd she get the name 'Lila,' then?
Father gave it to her. It was inconvenient, to say the least, for her to remain nameless.
Hmm, I believe we understand now. We must ask Lila about this again, then.
Yes, there's only one thing to do...
Let me get Sarah to bring her here.

Thank you, Sarah. Would you leave us for a bit?
Sarah: Of course, pardon me.

Our bracer friends showed me this photograph. That's certainly a familiar face, isn't it?
Lila...this is you, isn't it?
I think I can guess why you're remaining quiet. You're concerned about Father, aren't you? I know you feel as though you owe Father a great debt.
But, Lila...I don't want that to be a burden on your life. And I know he wouldn't, either.
A burden...?
Yes, it's why you haven't said anything about this all this time, isn't it? You feel obligated to remain here out of debt to what Father did.
That is...well...
Father said it often, didn't he? 'Those trapped by the shackles of the past can never blaze a new trail.'
Lila, you've done more for our family than could ever have been expected or asked of you. You don't need to keep shackling yourself to the past. Go meet this Corna woman. Meet her and reclaim your life.
...Miss Maybelle...I understand what you're trying to say.
Unfortunately, however...The Raini you are searching for is no longer with us.
Huh?
What do you mean?
Raini was killed in the Hundred Days War, alongside her parents. She rests peacefully somewhere in this land. That is what I've told myself all these years.
Because...Because if I didn't, it would be too sad, too lonely to...to bear...
Oh, Lila...
Lila...
I can't believe this...I've been such an idiot. You've been bearing all this within you all this time. I should've...
Um, Lila? I don't think you need to lie to yourself any more. Don't you?
I'm sorry?
Maybelle, Sarah...Mayner, the people of the market, I bet a lot of others around town, too...Everyone thinks of you as part of their family, Lila. There's no way you're alone any more.
Estelle...!
I think so, as well.
Got that right! The bonds between people're stronger than you might think!
Yes, I agree! It may simply be my humble opinion, but you are hardly alone here.
Lila, are you listening? Do you see what they mean?
You're one of the most...No. With Father gone, you...you're THE most precious, important person in my life.
So saying you're alone like that...Please, please don't say something so terribly sad. You've NEVER been alone, Lila. Ever.
Miss Maybelle...
And, Lila...Lying to yourself to forget something painful? It's exactly what Father hated to see. Someone trapped by their past...
Father entrusted us both with such a valuable lesson...Please, don't let it go to waste. Lila, go meet Corna. Please. Or does what Father taught us mean so little to you?
I...
Very well...I'll accept defeat. *sigh* Miss Maybelle, you're terrible. How is anyone meant to say no to an argument like that?
That, my dear Lila, is the secret to driving a hard bargain.
All right! That's that!
*phew* Good to see that's all settled.
Yes, I'm glad.
Come on, then! Let's go meet her.
P-Pardon?!
Go meet...Er, you're coming, Maybelle?
It should be all right, I think. Her father has passed away, so she must represent him in spirit.
Yes, yes, precisely!
Come on, Lila, let's be off.
...All right. I'll accompany you, then.
Oh, no, you don't. I'M the one 'accompanying' YOU this time. Come on, get in front of me. Left, right, left, right, let's go!

But, but, but...
Hahaha. It's okay, Lila. After all, you're the star this time!
Precisely! See? Listen to the smart bracer lady. Coooome on, hurry now. I'll be right behind you.
Maybeeeeeelle...

Corna: I see. To think things got so complicated...Raini...I'm so, so sorry we didn't come looking for you. I wish we could have found you sooner.
No, Auntie, don't apologize. It wasn't anyone's fault, except maybe that of the times. And over the last ten years...I can honestly say I've been very happy.
Corna: Miss Maybelle...Thank you, so very much! I owe you and your father a debt that can never be repaid!
No, not at all. If anything, I should be grateful to you, and to your sister and her husband. Lila has been such an important part of my life...
Er, ahem! I should say Raini. I'm sorry.
Corna: No, please, call her as you have. That is the name she has here, after all. I am just glad to know she has been safe and happy...no matter her name. Miss Maybelle, I beg you. Please continue to take care of her.
Er, well. I would certainly love for her to remain with us, but...Do you not intend to take her home with you?
Corna: Oh, I planned to at first, of course. But...Seeing her now...I couldn't be so cruel. To continue living here, with the people she loves and all her friends...No one who loves her could take that away from her.
Auntie Corna...
Corna: Hmhm! Now, now, dumpling, don't make that face. Of course, I do hope you'll visit your uncle and me every once in a while. I know the distance will make it difficult, but we would both love it.
Why would distance be an issue?
Corna: Ah, I didn't mention, but our home is quite far away. You know where the Leman State is, I take it?
The Leman State? Of course I've heard of it! That's where the guild has its training ground and headquarters!
Any bracer worth his salt knows about it.
I see, so Lila's not from Liberl! (That does sort of explain the kinda unique feeling she's always given off.)
Corna: Even by airship, it is quite a trip. I do hope you will come and visit us some day. But even then, I will still keep in touch.
I will too. And I promise I'll find time to visit.
Corna: I'll be counting the days until then. Now, Raini...Let me get another good look at you. Ah, you really are the image of your mother...
I look like...Mother?
Corna: That you do. Not just in appearance, but even in the way you move, your speech...You really are so like your mother when she was your age.
Corna: I'm sure she has been watching over you. Your wonderful new friends and family...it's what she would have wanted. Live happily, my Raini...for your mother's sake as well.
I will, Auntie...I promise I will.

Yes, Miss Maybelle?
About what we were discussing earlier...When were you planning on doing it?
My trip back to Leman, you mean? I haven't quite decided yet.
Hmm, all right. Just be sure and let me know when you're going well in advance, okay? I'll need to adjust my schedule.
What do you mean, Miss Maybelle?
Well, I AM going with you, after all. I really want to see what your home was like. Besides...
Besides what?
I was thinking, it would be really nice to hear some stories from your childhood. I know you've heard all sorts of stories about me from before you came to live here. And I need to find some kind of embarrassing chink in that armor of yours, or I won't be able to do ANYTHING with you.
So you're after my naughtiest secrets? Haha...
Ahem, well, I'm afraid I shall have to disappoint you, Miss Maybelle. My early childhood was one of exquisite conduct. Unlike certain infamous tomboys who would be scandalized should their pasts be made public, I have nothing to fear.
Ohhh, reeeeeeeeally? I wouldn't underestimate my ability to sniff out the truth, if I were you.
Hahaha...Well, let's see what you can manage. I'll let you know as soon as I've made a decision.
Please do, Lila. Anyway, what's on the agenda for today?
You have your regularly scheduled meetings inside the manor from morning until teatime. Afterward, you will attend the review board for applicants to the market.
Wait, the review board? That's TODAY?! Oh, Aidios, just strike me dead. I have to read those applicant evaluations right away!
Lila, hurry! We've gotta move it!

Something tells me I won't be going to Leman for a while...

You went through so much trouble, simply on my account...
Just don't pop your eyes like that again. That was kinda scary.
It wasn't really any trouble. I'm glad we could help! After all...seeing two people who were once strangers, and were a little afraid to admit how close they'd become, accepting their feelings...That was something I think I needed to see, too.
Estelle...
I see. Estelle, you are one of a kind in your kindness. Thank you.
Speaking of finding people, when are you going to visit your family?
We have not yet set a date. It will depend on Miss Maybelle. It has been decided that she will accompany me, after all.
Hey, yeah, that sounds cool.
It is nice, but it means we will not be leaving immediately. Miss Maybelle tends to bury herself in her work. Getting her out of the house can be...difficult.
Oooooh, yeeeeeah, that might be a problem.
Well, even if it is not happening immediately, I do intend to visit. I will simply have to wait patiently for an opportunity.

And thank you again for your help with Lila.
That was kind of a surprise for everyone, wasn't it?
A surprise? Yeah, that's one way to put it.
It all really turned out for the best, though, so I'm super glad we could be a part of it.
Yes, you were a great help. Honestly, I feel guilty. It seems like I cause nothing but trouble for you whenever we meet. I hope you can get some rest at the Kingfisher Inn.
Heehee. Don't worry, I think we can call it even.
Haha. Please, enjoy yourselves. I hope you all have a nice holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
It's easy to forget that from Estelle and her group's POV, every single person they meet has a dialogue portrait, not just the ones the game's narrative deems worthy of one. It still strains the suspension of disbelief more than usual. Despite that, this is a really sweet little sidequest and surprisingly plot-relevant, seeing that Lila's defense mechanism, dissociating from a traumatic past event by pretending it happened to someone else, is also used by two other people in the game and I'd like to believe that Estelle takes what she learns from this sidequest and applies it at just the right moment during a memorable scene later on.

It also casts some light on Lila's character and actions. Since she mentally pushed her past life away in order to cope with her loss, from her own POV, her life literally started the moment she was taken in by Maybelle and her dad. No wonder she's so fiercely protective of her foster sister.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 29, 2016

• Locked thread