Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

NikkolasKing posted:

I loving love the new battle music.
"For Achieve(Brass Remix)" is a rearrangement of the SO1 battle music and it's one of my favorite normal battle themes in a JRPG.

It doesn't sound like battle music to me. It sounds like... I guess particularly intense world map music? Which is why I initially thought the battle music was being overridden. Battle music really needs a good beat under it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

wateyad posted:

It doesn't sound like battle music to me. It sounds like... I guess particularly intense world map music? Which is why I initially thought the battle music was being overridden. Battle music really needs a good beat under it.

It's only the battle music when you're on Roak; it'll shift once you leave.
...Have you left, wherever you are in terms of recording?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

FractalSandwich posted:

We usually call the northeast Astralian continent "Queensland".

Don't you mean "Qeensland?"

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Don't you mean "Qeensland?"
poo poo, that's way better

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
For reference, this is the Star Ocean 1 track this is a remix of, which sounds much more like a battle theme if you ask me.

I mean, I appreciate that they actually bothered changing the battle track, but yeah, I agree that it's not a particularly good choice for a battle track.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
An episode late, but I feel like that wasn't a very accurate representation of an anti-matter explosion. I feel like it would be less purpley and swirly.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Matter is solid and brown, so anti-matter is swirly and purple. It checks out.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wouldn't Edge's actual superiors be more interested in contacting him than whatever Welch is supposed to be other than terrible attempted comic relief?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wouldn't Edge's actual superiors be more interested in contacting him than whatever Welch is supposed to be other than terrible attempted comic relief?

Welch IS his point of contact with Earth. As awful as that sounds, it makes perfect sense she'd be the one reaching them.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 20, 2016

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Glad to see SamRaimi do what you've been doing all game, being the leader we need. Too bad Wet is the leader we deserve.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
So a while back, Wateyad mentioned that the fan theory is that Welch is actually a hacker sorta just messing around in the star Ocean world because apparently reality is a huge MMO. Do I have that right? If so, this probably means that on the other end of the video calls and stuff there's probably a very greasy neckbeard. I'm not sure if this makes Welch better or worse.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think the idea is more that Welch isn't a character. She is the person who would normally be in control of the Welch character, if Welch was a normal part of their world. I never played 3 though, so I might be wrong.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
After the fifth game I decided that Welch is simply an elder god created horror that wanders the planes and dimensions, an incredibly demented Q that is everywhere and always, but never aware of anything outside of her own mind.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Matter is solid and brown, so anti-matter is swirly and purple. It checks out.

No, see, antimatter is black, and you should never mix black and brown... but since space is already black they had to go for the stand in Bad Dark Stuff color: purple.

That's science.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That mysterious ship was so black, even the white bits were black.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

BioEnchanted posted:

That mysterious ship was so black, even the white bits were black.

It were always raining on Planet Skyrim... cept when it were fine.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Let's Play Star Ocean 4: The Testing of Eric Maverick

Inferior fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 21, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Star Ocean: Confusing Americans with obscure British 70s humour since 2016!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I appreciate the fact that Raimi was more competent in that one segment where she took command than Edge has been in the whole game

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Director Mustache was right to keep yelling at Edge. He knows a planet destroyer when he sees one.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I appreciate the fact that Raimi was more competent in that one segment where she took command than Edge has been in the whole game
Not that that's saying much.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

So the nazi scientists needed the magic crystals to power their thing right? But they already had one that MeowMix was wearing. She was captured even before the gang got to alt-earth, and she got that from that guy on alt-earth. Where did they even get that? Also, the fact that every spaceship is apparently one catastrophic failure from being a planet-nuke feels kinda off.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Everything honestly makes more sense when you read it all as raid quests written by overworked and underpaid interns in the fourth dimension. Star Ocean 4 is just some artificially "intelligent" NPCs exploring a test server running beta quest lines and placeholder assets to see what breaks.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Episode 40: Wet Maverick Is Not Very Happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8sIwOPrB4M

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

One thing I'll say about Welch is that I like that the characters are all as terrified of her as we are and that she appears to be calling in from a different setting entirely.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Nah, the way everyone else reacts to Welch continues to be the most forced and awkward thing. This thoroughly dumb anime game pointing and going "isn't anime dumb?" in a super direct way like that is just so insincere and weird. It's like they found a level of failing at parody beyond even just doing the thing and then pointing it out.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Is the Music Box maybe a reference to SO3? Just a thought.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

You're probably right, yeah!

Fuckin Niklas

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So hey, I stopped watching this thread for a while and caught up today.
I just want to say that Pork Lift should sing way more often. Your voice get's about 30% more British whenever you do. I also appreciate those recording dates Wateyad. They add some nice context. For example you may reach November 9th soon.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just found a screenshot - the Pattern is slightly different (but that may just be low resolution texturing at work) but the shape is almost identical. May be the same box.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Is the Music Box maybe a reference to SO3? Just a thought.

The music box is an item you repair for a quest. It has no other purpose. There's one or two other recipes like this.

E: Though the quest itself could be a SO3 reference.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
10 easy tips to beat the summer heat

1. Blow up earth

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Those bee recolours are a little overpowered for where they are, with them being ranged, hitting fairly hard, and coming in groups you can easily get overwhelmed. At least you only get one or two of them at a time on Aeos.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
So out of curiosity, why don't the remnants of humanity move off of Earth and to Kaixa's planet, or Backup's? Like, I get that humanity wants its own planet so it can stay up as late as it wants and throw parties and not worry about Elfdad and Robotmom, but you'd think that people would be happier living on an alien planet that isn't a nuclear wasteland while the space forces look for a new world. Is there a reason I missed, or is just just this game's writing?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm probably wrong, but I always assumed that the point of the mission was to find a new Earth. Then when they needed to finally move out of post-Earth or whatever, they'd send Wet to decimate it ahead of time know where to go. I don't think the crew in the game has really made it clear what the point of finding the planets they don't ruin is supposed to be though.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Hrist posted:

I'm probably wrong, but I always assumed that the point of the mission was to find a new Earth. Then when they needed to finally move out of post-Earth or whatever, they'd send Wet to decimate it ahead of time know where to go. I don't think the crew in the game has really made it clear what the point of finding the planets they don't ruin is supposed to be though.

I brought it up because of the SamReimi said at the end of the last episode, about how if they don't find a new Earth the rest of humanity will dwindle away, or words to that effect. So I was wondering, why not move people to planets where they can expand a bit? If nothing else it's probably a lot easier to live on Tungus or Skyrim or EN2 than the blasted post-WW3 Earth, I'm sure the civilians would prefer it. :shrug:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Shoeless posted:

So out of curiosity, why don't the remnants of humanity move off of Earth and to Kaixa's planet, or Backup's? Like, I get that humanity wants its own planet so it can stay up as late as it wants and throw parties and not worry about Elfdad and Robotmom, but you'd think that people would be happier living on an alien planet that isn't a nuclear wasteland while the space forces look for a new world. Is there a reason I missed, or is just just this game's writing?

As far as Kaixa's planet, there was a dialogue option in an early PA we didn't take the explains the situation there: the sun in their solar system is about 260 years from going red giant and exploding, everyone there gets genetically modified just to live on the planet, and in 50 or so years even that won't be enough. His people are looking for a new planet just like Earth is, but they kind of have a lead; see, a scouting mission went off to look for a planet, they sent back a garbled message about "Lemuria" and "paradise" and disappeared, but the space elfs have been trying to find this paradise ever since.

You will never, ever in a billion years guess what planet Lemuria is.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Melomane Mallet posted:

As far as Kaixa's planet, there was a dialogue option in an early PA we didn't take the explains the situation there: the sun in their solar system is about 260 years from going red giant and exploding, everyone there gets genetically modified just to live on the planet, and in 50 or so years even that won't be enough. His people are looking for a new planet just like Earth is, but they kind of have a lead; see, a scouting mission went off to look for a planet, they sent back a garbled message about "Lemuria" and "paradise" and disappeared, but the space elfs have been trying to find this paradise ever since.

Namek?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I hope it's the Earth that Giant Crybaby Edge Maverick blew up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Melomane Mallet posted:

Is it Earth? Kaixa's species actually thrive in environments with extremely high background radiation?

• Locked thread