Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I'm not feeling this. The beach scene was genuinely well done. This just feels like they ran out of ideas. gently caress it put them into a boss rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You have two of the same image under "May as well move the morale bar some more."

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah I'm not feeling this. The beach scene was genuinely well done. This just feels like they ran out of ideas. gently caress it put them into a boss rush.

This is the kind of pacing issue which happens when doing an LP, unfortunately. This is a lot more fun and exciting playing through these one at a time, but less so when getting them once or twice a week.

Yeah, the Seven don't get a lot of characterization. That's an issue which is generally applicable to the whole game. A lot more emphasis is spent on the gameplay than plot, and having dozens of potential party members dilutes the characterization even further. It's just much more obvious when it comes to the bosses.

I'll table the discussion of "boss rush" for a later date.

Mraagvpeine posted:

You have two of the same image under "May as well move the morale bar some more."

Thanks for pointing it out. It seems like I saved the same image twice with a different name. I'm not sure what was supposed to be there, if anything ever was. I removed the extra.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Actually yeah I think this is where the Saga roots show themselves.
Underdeveloped characters or plot is a hallmark of all saga games.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Irina claims Hinnah’s Nightbloom Katana, switching her from the 2H staff to a 1H Katana style. You can deny her the Katana, at which point Emmy claims it, but there’s a really good reason why you want Irina to have it. Which you’ll see in 20-ish or so updates, depending on speed.
There's another good reason to give it to Irina that you can see right away, which is that it makes her look way cooler.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
So for this fight, is it better to weaken both of them evenly so that you can then kill both of them before Hinnah/Hannah goes into overdrive, or is the damage output from Twin Snowpetal too great to try doing that?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

GeneralYeti posted:

So for this fight, is it better to weaken both of them evenly so that you can then kill both of them before Hinnah/Hannah goes into overdrive, or is the damage output from Twin Snowpetal too great to try doing that?

I always just knocked them down one after the other. They don't last that long if you rush em and have good healing. Honestly if he wasn't trying to get the Arcana on Rush this fight would be much simpler.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
As you can see, even going into overdrive, they aren't dangerous on their own. Twin Snowpetal is their biggest threat, but once their minions are dead, that's a lot less threatening as long as you have decent healing.

Onmi posted:

I always just knocked them down one after the other. They don't last that long if you rush em and have good healing. Honestly if he wasn't trying to get the Arcana on Rush this fight would be much simpler.

Oh yeah, I am definitely increasing the challenge I'm facing by trying to trigger arcanas, but since I can afford to do that without losing, why not? Sometimes, I even deliberately ignore healing and send wounded units in to try and die, just so I can get the arcana conditions. Now, that's not all the time, though - some fights are just going to be too hard for be to play around like that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm betting Spire 6 is defended by forty unions. Since it's as many as four tens.

And that's terrible.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
:sigh: Well, I was HOPING to have an update ready today, but my internet connection is being super-slow, so that's probably not happening. Maybe tomorrow.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Feels like I aged fifty years waitin’ for ya!

Paris has taken over the “Learn Rejuvenating Water” slot. I swap Roberto back in for Allan, and for the sake of variety, make Gabriel the leader. I have forgotten to disable Gaou’s Hexes, though. Now, to Base 5!

Music: Clash of Opposites

Mission: Defeat the command squad and assault their base!

- Battlefield Video: Base 5

This time we start out right outside Base 5, with a wave of enemies in immediate range.

We’ll creep beside them – then charge!

Watch this.

Yeah, let’s kick some tail!

Crush is the ultimate 2H staff art. It is pretty unique among combat arts because it does not hit a single unit, but EVERY unit in the union. That makes it much more effective on multiple-unit unions, and less so on tough, single-unit unions.

Try this on for size!

It did about 6000 damage combined.

Yeah!

Fine! You’ll face me!

Even we can be worn down by grunts. Paris going down is not useful, because he’s the one I need alive to learn the art.

Torgal comes in though to wipe out the threatening union. That’s the last one of the first wave.

Yeah! This is our big chance!

They leave the door open so we can come in. They won’t come out. But I’m going to waste a couple of turns seeing if they will. There’s a reason for this, other than filling my AP reserves. The second turn Paris will heal himself.

The rest of the fight will take place here.

Watch this.

Gabriel finally upgrades that. It didn’t do much damage, though.

Torgal’s become a powerhouse with his intense focus on quad-wielding.

Maledict hits every unit in a union, and those attacks tend to do massive damage. It also has a chance to inflict curse, although anything which is likely to be vulnerable to curse is unlikely to survive the damage in the first place.

Nice hit!

This wasn’t enough to finish that union off, though.

But Darien’s got this.

The reinforcing wave appears here.

This one’ll leave a mark!

As it turned out, nope!

What? Why?!
Well done.

At the far end, A qsiti Beastmaster and Dragon appear. Unfortunately, they are so far away that it’s impossible to target them, and they won’t advance on their own. So it’s pretty much guaranteed that they’ll never join the fight. There’s only one or two things I can think of that can even hit them.

And the boss union has appeared, so while I have ordered all my unions to stay on their toes and avoid fighting, I can’t stall the fight forever.

More reinforcements show up as soon as the turn starts, the cheaters.

The boss union Raidlock’s Rush, adds a Bluff to move the morale meter in the wrong direction, but they take a lot of damage from the Confuse art.

Bring it!

Oh, this is neat. I think that once I mentioned that once you have learned an Arcana, all you need for that leader to cast it is two mystics-capable units in the union. Well, the great news is that since whenever a unit has asked to learn something, I’ve said yes, I have a lot of units who are mystic-capable. I could not get Paris’s Class to do a manual Fatal Eclipse (No Invocation user), but with max morale, he can do it on his own. An arcana (since it hits the entire battlefield) is one of the only things which can even hit the dragon at the far end. I just don’t know if it’ll be enough to kill it.

If I hadn’t ordered Rush’s Troop to Defend, they would have died.

And that does it! Paris clears the board in one swoop, including the Dragon. I’m pretty sure very few Arcanas could have done that. We don’t even get damage numbers. I reach BR 48.

learned:
  • Crush!
  • Revitalize III!
class changed to Master Druid!
learned Nimble Double Slash!

- BOSS Video: Young the Belligerent

Music: Slipping Through your Fingers

Finally. Feels like I aged fifty years waitin’ for ya!

At least you didn’t get pounded by the other guys, ‘cause Young the Belligerent’s the only one worthy enough

to beat the livin’ crap outa ya!

So get ready to enjoy some good old-fashioned lovin’ from Mr. Young!

I’ve been lookin’ forward to this moment for ages!

Hope you can put up a good fight, because I wanna savour this as long as I can!

Music: Press to Victory

Mission: Defeat Young!

Not really any gimmicks to speak of this time, just a big fight.

Stay strong!

That’s okay, as normal attacks go.

Paris didn’t quite finish them off.

But a dodge-counter from Violet does the trick. Normally, I try to miss those on purpose, but these fights can be tricky, so it’s better to not take chances.

Do you require assistance?

Oh good. Brawl is Young’s special, and fitting for someone who loves to fight, Young will always use it at the end of the turn. Always.

Ouch. Brawl can hit every union, but it’s not guaranteed to hit them all. But the bright side is that it happens at the end of a turn, so you can prepare healing to go off before it, and it doesn’t usually do enough damage to one-shot a union.

I won’t let bullies like you get in my way!
Niiice… this one looks loaded.

The goal is to heal and eliminate the remaining mooks. Once they are dead, Brawl should be a lot less of a threat. Paris’s Class is going to stand by and build up AP, because I still want to get him to learn Rejuvenating Water.

Boom!

Blocter and Darien team up to do 8882 damage.

You okay?

Luckily the silence didn’t take, or else Rush would have been in trouble.

Young dodged the Dispirit, but Pagus healed Kate’s Pack back to full.

I’ll slice you to ribbons!

We’re still in good shape. But to ensure that continues, everyone moderately injured will keep their HP up.

Every third turn (I’m guessing), Young gets a free turn to cast Victory Cry, lowering your morale.

For once, Torgal does not do freakishly insane amounts of damage, and this union can survive another turn.

Try this on for size!

With only one unit, you can see how the damage is drastically reduced.

Good!

I’ve chosen Kate to be the sacrificial union which gets resurrected to force-trigger the reassessment into the Rejuvenating Water Arcana. Looks like it’ll still be another turn or two before that comes up, though.

Well done.

Exactly as planned.

Don’t push yourself!
I am ready to fight!

NOT as planned. It turns out that this union configuration is a little faster than the others. If Paris’s union acts first, I can’t force-trigger the arcana. So that plan is out the window, it will have to wait until later, when I can change his union to make it slower.

Zuido was actually more threatening, because he used combat arts in addition to his special. Regular attacks just aren’t that damaging.

Don’t let a punk like that take you out!

Let us duel – to the DEATH!

Come on! COME ON!!

Oh, that made it more interesting.

He’s almost in critical now.

There we go.

Ohhhh!

It looks like Gabriel will be healing Kate, so he’s toast.

Nice, that saved his life.

Rain down destruction from their flank!

The union proceeds to heal everyone else.

I’ll slice you to ribbons!

It ain’t over yet… I still got plenty of rear end-kickin’ left in me. …Damnit, where did all my strength go? You weren’t… supposed to… be that strong... Ugh…

learned Smash IV!
learned Nimble Thunderclap II!
learned Hartshorn III!
learned Restorative Tincture II!

Roberto can get the Frostblade Sword, which also has a weapon art. Umm… Snowblind. Snowblind has the same obnoxious conditions as Zeal’s Virtue, which means we’re not likely to see it. Roberto is still kinda crappy.

Try something new!
You are right… I am far too old for pusillanimity!
Oh man, I’m sorry to hear that. I hope they find a cure for it soon!

Music: The Crumbling Fortress

If we cannot even control ourselves, how can we presume to control them?
I don’t know.

Humility… It is something that must not be forgotten. …Even if you lot are the only ones who remember it.

Before we move on to Base 6, I really want to get Rush into the Ninja class. He needs STR 59, and he has STR 57, so we’re doing a little dungeon crawling.

I came here hoping to find some Chimera things for Blocter or Torgal, and found this rare instead.

Note the morale bar. Robelia might be a low-level dungeon, but Caligula is a high-level rare monster. Unfortunately, while I did record this on video, he spent most of the fight missing or casting debuffs, and wasn’t that threatening. So it’s probably not worth watching.

When bosses get the question marks, it’s a special art. When we get them, it’s a new art or an upgrade.

He had a lot of HP, this took 5 turns to wear down.

learned Mighty Double Strike III!
learned Knee Splitter!
learned Wind Shear III!
learned Swift Resonance Edge III!
learned Nimble Double Slash II!
learned Mystic Missile III!

But where I really want to go is to a tough dungeon, and one of the toughest new dungeons around is the Second Path, near Fornstrand.

The second path is a maze of over-passing paths and one-way connections. Of note, a large chunk of the entire eastern side is inaccessible from this side.

Obtained Kardia Morsel! …or so you thought – Mr. Diggs ate it!
The Digs Count has increased by 1! The Digs count has been restored to max!

The door is sealed tightly with Remnant power. The appropriate Key Remnant is needed.

In the far northwest corner of the Second Path is this mysterious door. We won’t find the key here, I’ll tell you that. During this dungeon, I reach BR 49. I didn’t record much video, I only got a blooper, where I died after engaging too many enemies at once and not taking them seriously enough.

class changed to Legendary Cavalier!
learned Bluff II!
class changed to Ninja!
learned Vivification Herb III!
class changed to Lordly Bard!

Once I got Ninja, I thought that I was done and could now safely go to Base 6. If I had actually bothered to READ the description of the Ninja class, I would have learned that I was terribly mistaken.

New Arts Summary
learned:
  • Crush!
  • Revitalize III!
  • Mighty Double Strike III!
class changed to Master Druid!
learned:
  • Nimble Double Slash!
  • Restorative Tincture II!
  • Nimble Double Slash II!
learned:
  • Smash IV!
  • Vivification Herb III!
learned:
  • Poison Gas!
  • Hartshorn III!
class changed to Lordly Bard!
learned Spark!
learned Knee Splitter!
learned Wind Shear III!
learned Swift Resonance Edge III!
learned:
  • Mystic Missile III!
  • Bluff II!
class changed to Legendary Cavalier!

Battlefield: Base 5
BOSS: Young the Belligerent

Next Time: You are but poor, ignorant fools, to dare challenge someone with such sublime power!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I have completely forgotten what you need to do for Ninja.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Onmi posted:

I have completely forgotten what you need to do for Ninja.

The third post has that info. Admittedly, not everything in those posts on the first page may be up-to-date.

The Ninja class requires both Dual Wield (or Quad-wield) at 23 and Katanas at 19, and your STR or INT must be at 59+.

I'm still waiting on Gabriel to become an Assassin and Caedmon to become an Atarexeunpronouncablian so I can put him back into a goddamned combat union.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Still not following, what happened? Did Rush's item stat grow and prevent ninja from leveling?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

SSNeoman posted:

Still not following, what happened? Did Rush's item stat grow and prevent ninja from leveling?

You mean, what did I mean by the "I was terribly mistaken" part? Well, you'll just have to tune in next time to find out! It's called suspense. Work with me, people. :)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 19, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Out of curiosity, is there a minimum BR that you want to reach or a maximum that you don't want to pass?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Mraagvpeine posted:

Out of curiosity, is there a minimum BR that you want to reach or a maximum that you don't want to pass?

Those numbers depend on where you are in the game, because enemies have a minimum/maximum BR, which is shifting. It also depends on when additional party members become available, because they have a hidden "starting BR" stat, and if you recruit them before that point, they'll gain better stats through use than if you recruit them after you pass it.

For instance, my plan for this section was to do a huge dungeon sidequest before the Six Bases, and I did that, but the dungeon kicked my BR up 5 levels to 50, and I found that made the 6 Bases and bosses too easy. So I decided to do the Six Bases now, and save the big dungeon for much later.

Since the next round of unique party member recruits have a starting BR of 64 or 69, my goal is to finish up the next round of sidequests no later than BR 60. The last one is particularly troublesome, and I may actually end up grinding to hit 60.

I also would prefer not to engage the final boss much after BR 80, but it doesn't matter much for reasons I'll explain when it becomes important.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Okay. I've got screenshots and writing done for the next update. 151 images. Yes, really. My ISP will be undergoing scheduled maintenance tomorrow, so I can't guarantee it'll go up tomorrow. So it might be up on Thursday. Definitely no second update this week, since I haven't really finished recording the one which would come after this.

But tomorrow is the last of the Base battles, and we'll be moving on to more varied fare.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

How much of the game is left after that?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

ultrafilter posted:

How much of the game is left after that?

Not a huge amount. What happens at Koenigsdorf is what I consider the midpoint of "Disc 2", and the unofficial end of "Act III" (which started with Disc 2). In terms of sidequests, we're down to about a dozen of substantial length (counting the two we'll do before Koenigsdorf). A dozen left isn't that much considering there are like 60 sidequests in the entire game.

The end is in sight, albeit on the horizon. If you kinda squint a bit.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Woo, last base!

I liked this last one. Having a dude who's just all chuffed about fighting you (well, anyone, but you're someone) and gets periodic free morale boosts just makes sense.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

You are but poor, ignorant fools, to dare challenge someone with such sublime power!

Paris didn’t learn “Rejuvenating Water” because he was too fast, so he’s still in, but this time I’ve slowed his union down some more so he won’t act first. Roberto, with his new Remnant weapon is the leader. I have now disabled Gaou’s Hexes, though. Now, to Base 6!

- Battlefield Video: Base 6

Music: Clash of Opposites

Mission: Defeat the command squad and assault their base!

This is just a straightforward assault against wave after wave of enemies. A LOT of enemies. I’ll be looking for commands to boost morale, because even a lot of weak enemies can wear my unions down.

No critical chain, and a blocked attack means that this wasn’t enough to finish this union off.

I screwed up hitting the QTE’s twice, so Dispirit didn’t finish this union off. Pagus’s normal attacks remain useless. Everyone else was marching to different unions.

Come on, let’s bust some heads!
Niiice, this one looks loaded!

Roberto gets the option to use the Strength-boosting Red Potion, so why not?

Beautifully done!

I’m not going to complain about Kate getting a second use of Dispirit off on one union. I really want her Hexes to improve.

When you can usually one-shot unions anyway, it’s hard to know if the potions are doing anything at all. They just feel like wasted turns.

You’d better recognize!

They’ve circled us?!

This is the second flank attack, and it looks to be a nasty one.

Damnit… uhh…

When you only have three people in your union, it makes it more difficult to finish enemies off. And of course, I have Rush’s Troop in a formation which weakens the leader.

We can already see the effects of Ninja. Rush can now rear assault enemy union E, even though there aren’t two other unions already flanking. It won’t matter much here, since E is nearly dead already, but you get the idea. Paris hasn’t got enough AP to use Rejuvenating Water, but I’ll have Gaou bring Kate’s Pack back anyway, since we’re outnumbered by healthy enemy unions.

They got off a Paralyze Gas before Violet finished them. 5722 is a pretty good number for a normal attack. Gaou revives the mystic union successfully.

I’ll need to help Paris’s Class, because they’re not much good at all silenced and paralyzed.

Comin’ at ya!

Paris’s high INT and Rush’s penalty makes for a drastic contrast in the effectiveness of Maledict.

Forgive me…

Well, at least I won’t have to worry about curing their status effects. These troops are quite effective.

But we’re keeping pace, at least.

Watch this.

Most of that damage was from the shield bash.

Once again, being one unit short of a finishing blow will cost me.

Hang in there!

They are making us work for every meter of ground.

I’m trying to keep up.

But they’re not letting the pressure off. For some reason, Caedmon’s death cry plays here, even though no one here sounds like him.

I’m taking them seriously enough to not deliberately miss the dodge-counters.

Another one down.

Paris has enough AP, so everyone is ordered to break and revive.

Oh no! It’s that… thing… from Total Recall! And it’s got Paris’s head!

All right! Back in action!

There we go. And they could really use the healing, too.

This fight is far from over, though.

We have to waste a turn closing in.

You losers aren’t even a challenge!

Wow, does that formation really reduce Rush’s capabilities.

But in fairness, these guys are kinda tough.

Paris’s Maladict III weakens them enough for Irina to finish them off with a basic attack of about 1050 damage.

That leaves only one union left, so this is inflating our turn count.

Four more unions pop out, bringing us up to enemy union S. And no sign of the boss yet.

Torgal finishes them off.

Sometimes the AI makes some really smart choices. Rush’s Troop was in a full-on attack mode, which normally doesn’t include healing, but with the enemy union dead, Rush decided all on his own to heal Roberto’s union. Very helpful.

Aw, yeah!

Four more unions. Some of our unions are so far they have to march to reach them, wasting more time. This fight is starting to drag on, so Rush can go ahead and use his Omnistrike.

Keep it up!

Finally. This is the last wave. We have actually fought so many unions that it’s wrapped all the way back around to B. Twenty-eight unions, and this is just the battle before the boss. If you’re playing along at home, I sure hope you’ve been keeping up with your supplies of healing items.

That did about 15000 damage.

Well done!

Only the boss union left and this fight will finally be over.

Finally, it’s over. 14 turns, 28 unions, 70 enemies. Sheesh. And that was just the opening act.

learned:
  • Spring Squall II!
  • Revitalize V!
learned Rejuvenating Water II!
learned Mighty Dragon’s Flight!
learned Dragon’s Tail!

With Paris learning Rejuvenating Water in the battle outside, I decided to switch Glenys in for the leader so she could learn it as well. That’s not going to happen because I wasn’t paying attention. Glenys does not actually have the prerequisite of Revitalize II that she needs.

- Boss Video: Milton the True Disciple

Music: Slipping Through your Fingers

Ha ha ha! I am Milton, the True Disciple, a loyal servant of the Conqueror.

My duty is to stop those who are unworthy to step on this path. You are but poor, ignorant fools, to dare challenge someone with such sublime power!

The writing on the wall will be clear as day – once it is written with your blood!

Music: Press to Victory

Mission: Defeat Milton!

So, Milton. He is the only boss who we’ve had the chance to see in action before. It was an ugly fight, thanks to his bullshit instakill attack. First, we want to get rid of the other unions. I send Rush to keep Milton occupied, since Rush as a Ninja is immune to Instakill attacks… or so I thought.

Come on, let’s kick some A!

Until we get all his support unions down, Milton will ‘play nice’ and only use Traps to attack us.

Not quite able to finish them off.

Glenys and Violet have no such problems with the Moonset-Dragon Crush combo.

I’ll win this and show you what winning really looks like!

The enemy unions ganged up on Rush, but it wasn’t that big a deal.

Enemy union D dodged the first Dispirit, but not this one.

This isn’t even worth my time!

Violet’s really been doing better out of Rush’s shadow. Just two more unions left, and they’re at low HP.

Very nice!

And that’s the last of them. Just Milton. Now, things get hard.

This union combos for 20441 damage.

You do not play around with Milton, so I’m using Beowulf.

Return to the dust from whence you came!

So if you remember from the previous encounter, Milton could instakill with his attacks, but could only attack once. Not anymore. Iron Will is Milton’s special move.

RUSH!

Iron Will combines a high-level Miracle with Overdrive. It boosts Milton’s stats and gives him FIVE actions per turn. And his sword still does Instakill with normal attacks.

Do you remember me saying that Ninja grants Immunity to Instakill? Well, it does. But what I forgot to look up before was that the Instakill immunity is added once you reach the second rank of Ninja (Expert Ninja). Rush only has the first rank, so no immunity. Oops.

Hmmm… maybe it’s just an extremely high chance of Instakill? Or maybe Irina has some hidden immunity to it?

The only small upside to Iron Will is that the attacks still are blockable and dodgeable. It’s just that with five attacks per round, someone is going to fail, and it’s usually the leaders who go down first.

Don’t lose hope!

Whatever you say, Dave.

gently caress MILTON.

The only bright side is that he doesn’t cast Iron Will each turn. He didn’t this turn, AND missed, which is a thankful reprieve, because it means he’s stuck in deadlock for another turn.

Which is really good because I really have to bring back my dead unions.

Get up, we gotta win this!

The key to victory with Milton is to avoid having more than one union fight him at a time.

No Iron Will this time, either. When playing, though, it FEELS like he casts it every turn.

Ah, I believe that here is where I try to send everyone to bring Rush back, hoping to trigger Glenys to learn Rejuvenating Water. It’ll take me a few more fights to realize why that ain’t gonna work.

Wait, somebody took me out?!

The first problem is that Glenys’s Group is fast enough to go first. Unfortunately, now that there’s no one to bring back, all my remaining units are going to :black101: on Milton.

The hell did this happen?

Well, that strategy clearly worked so well last time that I should try it again!!!

Well fought…

YAAAAY. (But actually, I managed to get everyone back on their feet this turn anyway.)

With Milton, it’s better to be Raidlocked than to Multi-deadlock, as he can only attack one union at a time that way. And yet, for some dumb reason, I thought it was a Good Idea to have 4 of my unions charge at Milton and only leave one to stand by. Whyyyyyyyyyyy…

A strong one, huh?

That could have gone really badly if he had used Iron Will. Because he didn’t, I’m okay.

The AI is sometimes pretty smart. Blocter’s revive will go to waste as soon as Milton acts, but it means there’s no chance for Darien to botch. Darien’s revive will take care of Glenys, and some of the unions I sent to revive Glenys will in turn revive Rush after Milton kills us.

Goodbye!

Weakling!

That’s three direct hits Irina has taken from Milton’s sword without being KO’ed. I don’t know how, but I’m not complaining.

The bastard just keeps attacking even if you block him a couple of times. Blocking means so little even when it does happen.

Maybe one day I’ll learn what the hell I’m doing.

‘Twas barely a challenge!

Irina must be Immune to Instakill, because it was the damage that killed her. The damage numbers don’t even show up if it’s an Instakill attack.

Ideally, I’d like all my units alive when Milton dies, but I have no idea when Milton will die. I’ll just engage him with one union and send two others to revive.

This time, you’ll face me!

Thanks, Pagus for that very helpful reassessment. Milton didn’t use Iron Will this time.

Everyone is back on their feet now.

Spoke too soon.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha… You are weak. And you are horribly mistaken… to think that you can defy the greatness that is the Conqueror! Argh…

Fighting Milton is such a loving crapshoot who will be alive at the end. So for the only casualty to be Roberto, the bench-warming general? Hell yes, I’ll take that any day of the week, if it means everyone else will gain XP from the fight. This was a great result.

learned Nimble Acala’s Wrath V!
learned Restore III!

Blocter gets his reward from Milton’s fight. It’s a Blocter-specific accessory, which doesn’t grant him any special move, but it DOES give the awesome “Status Control” effect. That means that any non-KO statuses wear off at the end of the turn, which is pretty helpful.

Because we kept the Old Scabbard from the trading quest Emotions, we get the Serpent Star as a special drop. It’s a Katana, but unfortunately is a Large-sized one, which means that mitra like Rush cannot use it in dual-wielding. Pity. Its arts progression is also Strength, and not Speed, so it will work against Rush’s current arts progress. No, it’s not Milton’s instakill sword.

- Video: Unexpected Betrayal

We got ‘em all!
The flow of Remnant power has stopped.
All right. Now we can finally enter Koenigsdorf.

Music: Unexpected Betrayal

Augh… uh…

Gaah!

Unh!

What’s going on?
Please, stop!

Irina uses Marion’s Blessing and gets control back over her bound Remnants.

The Gae Bolg is… trying to free itself!

I can’t control it!

Rush!
drat! I guess we’ve gotta force them to stop!

Oh no! What’s going to happen? Guess you’ll have to find out next time.

New Arts Summary
learned:
  • Spring Squall II!
  • Revitalize V!
  • Nimble Acala’s Wrath V!
learned Rejuvenating Water II!
learned Mighty Dragon’s Flight!
learned Dragon’s Tail!
learned Restore III!

Battlefield Video: Base 6
Boss Video: Milton the True Disciple
Video: Unexpected Betrayal

Finally we are done with the base battles. They’re fun, but probably a lot less interesting to watch coming over the course of three-four weeks. We’ll be seeing some different stuff now that it’s all done, though.

Discussion: Is it kinda scary that Milton’s dying words are basically “haw, you guys still suck compared to the Conqueror”?

BONUS Discussion: What the heck just happened in that final scene?

Next Time: Are you simply choosing not to see the truth?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 23, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Not really. When you have a frequent proc instakill attack you're basically a one trick pony. So yeah, I sure hope the conqueror can put up a better display than that. Would Milton be all that deadly if Rush had that anti-OHKO ability?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The Conqueror doesn't need instant death to one shot people.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

SSNeoman posted:

Not really. When you have a frequent proc instakill attack you're basically a one trick pony. So yeah, I sure hope the conqueror can put up a better display than that. Would Milton be all that deadly if Rush had that anti-OHKO ability?

If only Rush had that ability? Yes. Presumably, Rush would take regular damage from the attacks, just like Irina, and those regular damage attacks are substantial. Ignoring that, all that the immune to Instakill means is that Rush's union would never be botched. Useful, since Rush knows Kiss of Life, but nothing is saving the other guys in his union, let alone the others.

wdarkk posted:

The Conqueror doesn't need instant death to one shot people.

Yes.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

If only Rush had that ability? Yes. Presumably, Rush would take regular damage from the attacks, just like Irina, and those regular damage attacks are substantial. Ignoring that, all that the immune to Instakill means is that Rush's union would never be botched. Useful, since Rush knows Kiss of Life, but nothing is saving the other guys in his union, let alone the others.

Plus that's two unions that take more effort for him to botch. Having two guaranteed suggestions is way better than one.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So Gae Bolg eyepatch confirmed to be Solid Eye?

Also yeah if the Gwayn couldn't kill the conqueror, not much else could.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Are you simply choosing not to see the truth?

- BOSS Video: Cyclops

Music: Out of Control

Out of Control is the “Remnant boss” music, and that title has never been more appropriate than now.

You’re dumped right into the fight after beating Milton, with no opportunity to change your unions. It’s quite possible that by now you’re desperately low on supplies, but you’ll have to manage. The good news is that compared to Milton, this is a fairly easy boss. But after Milton, anything seems like more fun. We’re behind on Morale, so I’ll try and pump that up if I get the chance.

Oh, the Cyclops is doing its special move before the first turn really starts.

Players who have seen the Gae Bolg’s effect on the enemy forces might be crapping themselves right now…

Steady, there!
Don’t let punks like that take you out!

But there’s no real need to worry. It’s a lot less dangerous in the hands of Cyclops. (Do you get the feeling that this boss was put in because one of the modelers/animators got it to crudely hold the Gae Bolg and someone thought “oh I’ve got a neat idea”?)

Come on, let’s kick some A!

I’m not sure that Paralyze will actually prevent Cyclops from using its arts.

This one’s putting up a fight!

I’ll win this and show you what winning really looks like!

I’m sending Rush’s union off to get killed in order to futilely try to get Glenys to learn the Arcana.

Wait… I still gotta…

Be careful!

Ouch, and that was with them defending. I should have healed them.

The Cyclops’s damage resistance is a pain.

Emmy gets blacked out, which is annoying because she was going to heal the union.

And here you are, some healing for you.

I thought that the reason why this didn’t trigger Rejuvenating Water was because I had 134 AP and needed more. I didn’t realize that the real reason is that Revitalize II is needed on Glenys, Revitalize I doesn’t work. It’ll take another battle before I figure it out.

Even though the Gae Bolg [Berserk] isn’t enough to wipe our party, I’d be really surprised if it didn’t kill Roberto on a direct hit.

Are you all right?

Okay, I’m surprised. But since that is the main threat from Cyclops, this battle is mostly just a check “do you have enough healing resources left after Base 6 and Milton”.

Cyclops even got a crack at Roberto in critical and didn’t finish him. But because I’m still mistaken about Glenys, I’m going to let him die.

My gratitude.

Sometimes the AI’s well-intentioned helpfulness can interfere with my plans. Still better than unhelpfulness.

Good, the sooner this fight is over the better.

Appropriately enough, the final battle of Base 6 gets me to an even BR 50.

learned Mighty Dragon Crush!
learned Restore III!
learned Nimble Double Strike IV!
learned Mighty Four Winds III!

Come on, Caedmon, when will you finally change classes? I’ve got a ton of Mystic users on the bench waiting for your melee rear end to finally graduate out of Scout! That’s the whole reason why I have to use people like Roberto and Allan.

A reminder - ages ago, when I switched Caedmon from combat to mystics, I was doing so because while his stats had met the prerequisites to get him into the Ataraxian class, he had not done so yet. My guess was that it was because that class is a Mystic/Item balance class, and Caedmon’s mystics were now far behind his item arts. So I’ve had him doing nothing but Mystics since to try to get him in balance. It’s taken longer than I thought.

- Video: Roeas is cryptic

David and Rush regain control of their Remnants.

Sure glad that’s over with.

He notices something.

What’s she doing here?

Don’t tell me you were behind what just happened.

Heh. You certainly do enjoy throwing around accusations.

The Conqueror. What does he want? What’s he planning to do?

Why do you ask questions which you already know the answers to?
What do you mean?

Or, are you simply choosing not to see the truth?

You’re scared, aren’t you?

No, I’m not!

Rush tries to hit Roeas with his katana, but she teleports away.

Heh heh heh heh heh… Nice try. Good luck, boy.

Roeas teleports away for good this time.

Sure, no prob.
For real? Appreciate it, man.

Again, Blocter specific, so there’s no reason to refuse this request at all. For hitting BR 50, a few of our leaders can learn new things.

Hmmm… Learn the new technique Shards? Or stick with what I’ve already been learning? What do you think, Rush?
Different is good.
Alright. Hopefully it will prove a good addition to our repertoire.

Hmm… Learn Wards? Or continue polishing what I know? I’m curious, Rush, what do you think?
Try something new!
Hmm! I always have loved learning.

Ought I learn Wards? Or continue my current studies? What do you think, Rush?
Sure! Try something new.
Alright. I shall do my best to master this new field.

Shards are the most powerful item art in the game. David is the first person who can learn them (not counting NG+ Rush), but there’s not a lot of point in getting deep into those now because until we beat Koenigsdorf, the vendor in Nagapur won’t even SELL the Shards for higher-level Shard arts. Shards are also jaw-droppingly expensive, and I never bothered using them at all on my first playthrough. They’re really more useful for a NG+ run when you come in with several million G. I might have David or Rush use them a little bit, but I might save most of that for later.

Both Paris and Pagus pick up Wards, which are defensive spells. They’re pretty useful, as the first two arts apply a one-hit immunity to mystic damage or physical damage to each unit in the targeted union They’re well worth using.

But for now I think that’s enough. I need to restock supplies and then, per thread request, do a couple of newly opened sidequests before I take on Koenigsdorf. They are both worthwhile, and interesting though.

New Arts Summary
learned Mighty Dragon Crush!
learned Restore III!
learned Nimble Double Strike IV!
learned Mighty Four Winds III!
learned Gravity Tempest!
learned Orphic Ward!
learned Orphic Ward!

BOSS: Cyclops
Roeas is cryptic

Discussion: Why is everyone so drat cryptic all the time?

Fun Poll: Next update, I have a video where I fight three special enemies. Just three, that’s all in the entire fight. Three. Not rares or bosses, I can see their health bars just fine. Guess how many turns it takes me to kill ONE of them (and this is with me TRYING to focus it down). Go on, guess. :shepicide:

Next Time: I eat danger for breakfast

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Maybe there's a bunch of assholes who know every time someone speaks their names or something.

Or more likely, because this is a Japanese game.

Also, I'm guessing 18.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I bet Roeas doesn't know either. She doesn't look like the sort the Conqueror would trust with his plans.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Cyclops picking up the Gae Bolg with its goofy claw hands is just precious. :allears:

No idea what that's about though. It's not like they showed our merry band walking into a remote remnant rejection trap

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
My guess (and this is just a guess), is that Dave and Rush experienced sort-of the same thing as what was happening to the lords of the cities. The darkness effect was kinda the same. I think that any differences might be attributed to the fact that they weren't Core Remnants, so losing them didn't make them sick in the same way.

Roeas probably did it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

My guess (and this is just a guess), is that Dave and Rush experienced sort-of the same thing as what was happening to the lords of the cities. The darkness effect was kinda the same. I think that any differences might be attributed to the fact that they weren't Core Remnants, so losing them didn't make them sick in the same way.

Roeas probably did it.

I also suspect that proximity to Irina may have helped, they may have lost control of the remnants but they weren't bound to them (This sounds silly, I think Irina may have severed their connections in some way). You know I don't remember the Cyclops fight at all? I'm sure it happened but I don't remember the event.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 26, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think Roeas is just going "no poo poo" because her answer to that question would be "he's gathering all the Remnants". Which should be self-evident after Cyclops popped free of Rush for a moment there.

And what is someone with all the Remnants going to do? Whatever he drat well pleases, that's what.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Glazius posted:

And what is someone with all the Remnants going to do? Whatever he drat well pleases, that's what.

It doesn't really seem like the Conqueror needs all the Remnants to do whatever he wants, though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

It doesn't really seem like the Conqueror needs all the Remnants to do whatever he wants, though.

Well if he wants to unite the world under him like his name suggests, then conquering the remnants would be a sure loving fire way to deny anyone the chance to deny him. He already has the leadership of the nation bowing at his feet under illness. His army may be decimated but he can still take the world whenever he wants.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
And I'm not even sure his army counts as "decimated". Well, at least not before we took out... hold on, let me count... a total of 145 unions and 345 troops (not counting the Seven), and those were just the guards. We don't know what's waiting at Koenigsdorf.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Sorry for no updates this week. It was partly me being busy, and partly be being tired and lazy. And partly me going uggghhhh at the thought of having to go through the very long battle video in the update to get screencaps.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Think there'll be an update soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Whoops, I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize this was the last post on the page. Update has now moved to the next page.

Chapter LXIX - I eat danger for breakfast -OR- Seeker of the Ancient Path, Part 1 (post)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 8, 2015

• Locked thread