Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

CampingCarl posted:

So you don't have evidence and just assume reddit came up with the ideas and Icefrog put them in a release patch without testing and it had nothing to do with pros saying they weren't picking chen as much because he couldn't move his creeps around in the time leading up to that.

the plural of anecdote is proof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pureauthor posted:

Are there any examples or evidence of him listening to Reddit for balance?

He listens to pros, which is one step removed at the best of times, so. :v:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

CampingCarl posted:

So you don't have evidence and just assume reddit came up with the ideas and Icefrog put them in a release patch without testing and it had nothing to do with pros saying they weren't picking chen as much because he couldn't move his creeps around in the time leading up to that.

What are you even talking about? I gave you evidence of the post as an example of pulling ideas directly from reddit. The ability works exactly how the poster wanted it to, it's not much of a stretch to say it came from there. Noone was saying anything about Chen other than he wasn't being picked because pros thought he was weak, noone was giving ideas.

I'm not saying Icefrog didn't test it, but it was added a few weeks after the suggestion ( probably after he tested its implementation), identical to how the change was described. There's also the fact that Valve actively say they read reddit for feedback and if a bug or problem makes the top of the page, chances are it's being fixed the next day. All of that points to what I'm suggesting. Unless you can prove otherwise, it's pretty safe to say they took the idea off reddit and value their feedback more than other places.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Weren't (aren't) all new heroes sourced from the community? IIRC that is how it went in Dota 1.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Boatswain posted:

Weren't (aren't) all new heroes sourced from the community? IIRC that is how it went in Dota 1.

Not really. Most heroes came from Icefrog himself. You had a Hero Creation forum and I think a few suggestions actually made it in the game but most were just overpowered bullshit in one way or another. Still want the hero I created in my youth to get in. Taking away your items for 3/4/5 seconds is not broken I swear :colbert:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

CVE posted:

Not really. Most heroes came from Icefrog himself. You had a Hero Creation forum and I think a few suggestions actually made it in the game but most were just overpowered bullshit in one way or another. Still want the hero I created in my youth to get in. Taking away your items for 3/4/5 seconds is not broken I swear :colbert:

That would rule

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I've always wanted loving around with enemy inventories but could not figure a way to make it fun and balanced.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

CVE posted:

Entire heroes never made it in but skill ideas were picked from there.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I hope there is some guy that e-mails icefrog all the time with loving weird rear end detailed lore he made up about for new heroes.

ELIASHKA The Time-Mage Toad began his life on in the swamps of the Eiasasfnvak River in the land of auhcnb

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Asuron posted:

What are you even talking about? I gave you evidence of the post as an example of pulling ideas directly from reddit. The ability works exactly how the poster wanted it to, it's not much of a stretch to say it came from there. Noone was saying anything about Chen other than he wasn't being picked because pros thought he was weak, noone was giving ideas.

I'm not saying Icefrog didn't test it, but it was added a few weeks after the suggestion ( probably after he tested its implementation), identical to how the change was described. There's also the fact that Valve actively say they read reddit for feedback and if a bug or problem makes the top of the page, chances are it's being fixed the next day. All of that points to what I'm suggesting. Unless you can prove otherwise, it's pretty safe to say they took the idea off reddit and value their feedback more than other places.
The post I found about "we did it reddit" and chen was only a couple days before the patch and not exactly the same. If there are others you can find them. I'm not saying he isn't aware of things or doesn't take ideas from reddit or other forums either, but assuming that a particular is was from a specific post on short notice is really silly. Pretty sure people tried to claim chen getting ancients as well even though it has been suggested for years. Valve does use reddit a lot for feedback, probably way more than they should since they ignore their own bug report forums, but that is very different than saying a patch is a "reddit patch" or that heroes will be buffed because reddit thinks they are weak.

Goetta posted:

I hope there is some guy that e-mails icefrog all the time with loving weird rear end detailed lore he made up about for new heroes.

ELIASHKA The Time-Mage Toad began his life on in the swamps of the Eiasasfnvak River in the land of auhcnb
I was amazed they kept the lore from dota 1 at all.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Asuron posted:

It's how we get poo poo like the comeback mechanics, sometimes he makes mistakes because he does cave to requests occasionally
The comeback mechanics exist because of how little Icefrog actually implements solutions from Reddit, et al. If he was Man Of The People, there would be a GG Surrender option in matchmaking, because that's what people wanted.

Instead, he just made early game irrelevant. It worked out for him because TI4 was an okay thing that got ruined by the game being able to be hopelessly lost early.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
C9 vs Asus on Starladder in 5 minutes. Given what we've seen lately we might get the usual drafts or some weird new thing given the Lifestealer draft from two days ago.
I have no idea who this caster is.

HGH fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 6, 2015

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Asus's draft sucks

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

RisqueBarber posted:

Asus's draft sucks

i saw that

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I feel like I'm watching a surfer.
The Icarus Dive/Last Word interaction is pretty dickish. Last thing I'd wanna be is Phoenix with -4 INT.

HGH fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 6, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I haven't seen a Beastmaster play that isn't bad this patch. gg fng, hero is just a really long stun and probably less useful than Bane.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Wasn't Fata (or maybe it was someone else on C9) playing him rather well as a pusher?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
:frogsiren:DREAMLEAGUE STARTING:frogsiren:
e;
Sheever: "Welcome to the ASUS R O G Drea-" *black screen*

caster lineup this time through:
Jorien “Sheever” van der Heijden (Host)
Shane “Shaneomad” Clarke – Co-host
Andy “Draskyl” Stiles (Caster)
Owen “ODpixel” Davies (Caster)

Luna Was Here fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 6, 2015

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

I haven't seen a Beastmaster play that isn't bad this patch. gg fng, hero is just a really long stun and probably less useful than Bane.
rofl :frogout:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
this Phoenix

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Luna Was Here posted:

e;

That's not that terrible.

Also holy crap ODpixel is young looking.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
goddamnit dreamleague just owns so much. 30 seconds into this and i don't know if I can look at a camera shot of the BTS caster desk ever again

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

TheQat posted:

goddamnit dreamleague just owns so much. 30 seconds into this and i don't know if I can look at a camera shot of the BTS caster desk ever again

pray for an E U H U B and never look back at NA Caster Dota

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
hahah that super-dramatic interstitial introducing the guest. who is this guy anyway

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Chessie was Alliance's mid then he broke his back and Alliance fell apart.

Luna Was Here posted:

e;

dramatic intro for GUEST OF THE WEEK
Sheever: And here is our guest of the week ChesBZRTT*static*

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
oh it's Chessie. I thought she was saying Jessie

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ahh yes a bunch of people who know almost nothing about dota and Draskyl, truly a great team of casters.

Fairly certain the only thing this thread looks for in casters is an accent. Gonna be interesting to see who gets blamed when this tourney is a shitshow just like seemingly every other tourney. Off to a great start with technical problems during the opening!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Bone7 is awful on this Phoenix.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What is it about e-sports that makes people feel so entitled? I've been watching "real" sports for 15+ years and I've never gave a poo poo about the "quality" of commentary on offer.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ramagamma posted:

What is it about e-sports that makes people feel so entitled? I've been watching "real" sports for 15+ years and I've never gave a poo poo about the "quality" of commentary on offer.

I've always thought it was a bit bizarre myself. Especially since a lot of these dudes are working on small budgets, and even giant broadcasters make the type of mistakes here that would cause pages of bitching.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

alansmithee posted:

Fairly certain the only thing this thread looks for in casters is an accent.

Being understandable and not being a rampant shitlord are pretty important, yes.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

alansmithee posted:

Ahh yes a bunch of people who know almost nothing about dota and Draskyl, truly a great team of casters.

Fairly certain the only thing this thread looks for in casters is an accent. Gonna be interesting to see who gets blamed when this tourney is a shitshow just like seemingly every other tourney. Off to a great start with technical problems during the opening!

lol jesus christ grandpa

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
expecting people casting dota2 as their job to put an acceptable foot forward does not equal entitlement lmao

also if you watch real sports and don't bitch to/with your friends/family about the broadcasters saying moronic things, you're really missing out on some catharsis

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah sports people bitch about broadcasters constantly

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
Does anyone here follow the chinese dotes scene these days?

If so, how are NewB looking these days?

Are they looking to take the next TI again or have they done a I.G and imploded after winning a big title?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
newbee was really awful for a while after the last TI, they seem to have gotten their poo poo together a bit lately. they are not favorites to win TI5 at all though

my idiot guess for TI5 top5 (in no order) is VG, EG, Secret, and two of C9/IG/Newbee

emdash fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 6, 2015

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
god bone7 is getting dunked on this game

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Ahahaha ODpixel is so young! It's adorable.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
lots of wasted screen space on this pick overlay :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Man EE made some real plays with Doppleganger in that last fight. Crazy how manoeuvrable it makes PL. You can just send 5+ illusions behind the enemy rax like it's nothing while your team is still lowground.

• Locked thread