Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The witcher was pretty good on release day and then got a big patch that somehow increased visual quality AND increased performance.

Doom 2k16 was great right out of the gate

There is no excuse for the outer worlds and the bullshit performance it has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Anybody want a WiiU to mess with that already has Haxchi on it?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3925484&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post505264202

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

American McGay posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRWp5_FBvOs

I hope Nintendo is working on a Switch Pro.

All those unloaded textures on a solid state storage only game... :stare:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There is no excuse for the Unreal Engine 4 and the bullshit performance it has

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Nah, UE4 is loving amazing in the right hands. This port is just bad.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

404notfound posted:

Can't remember, what time do preloads typically unlock? I've been itching to play some Clubhouse Games again
Should be 12am EST but there's also a possibility it's something weird like the middle of the day tomorrow (I remember Cadence of Hyrule not being playable until like 2pm).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

ErrEff posted:

Nah, UE4 is loving amazing in the right hands. This port is just bad.

UE4 is consistently the worst performing engine you can use with low end hardware and even Nintendo had problems getting performance up to their usual standards with Yoshi's Crafted World.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Octopath Traveller used UE4 and it caused them slowdowns? Definitely looks like it takes a lot of massaging to get it to work on switch. Doom and Witcher 3 are different, they use their own proprietary engines.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

American McGay posted:

I wonder what the poker is like and how long it lasts. Would be pretty chill to just spend a few hours in a casual lobby with other randos playing some Texas Hold'em. I've got the feeling it's probably something way stupider than that like 5 hands and the player with the most money at the end of those 5 hands "wins" or something.

In single player there is a 5 hand or 10 hand option, online seems to be just 5 hands. Actually the lack of options for Texas Hold 'Em was surprising, I played one single player game and it gave me a pop up saying congratulations for mastering texas hold 'em because it doesn't even contain any different ai difficulty levels so by winning my first game I'd already hit 100% completion on it.

I’ve played Shogi + a bunch of other stuff so far and having a nice chill time with it, the videos that play before the games are terrible though

Centusin fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 4, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

American McGay posted:

Should be 12am EST but there's also a possibility it's something weird like the middle of the day tomorrow (I remember Cadence of Hyrule not being playable until like 2pm).

It’s a first party game so I expect it to unlock at midnight EST.

I’m really looking forward to Clubhouse Games too. It used to be my go to chill game that I’d play before going to sleep in the DS days. It’ll be nice to play bowling again without booting up my Wii U too.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

UE4 is consistently the worst performing engine you can use with low end hardware and even Nintendo had problems getting performance up to their usual standards with Yoshi's Crafted World.

Yes, UE has overhead but the performance is entirely due to Nintendo's hardware choices when designing the Switch. Epic removed video capture from the Switch version of Fortnite, citing memory and performance issues.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Is bomberman r worth it at that price?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Hedonist posted:

If you want some cheap back alley Bomberman you can get BRAWL. I picked it up for $1 on sale and I can safely say this: it is bomberman. Maybe not worth it at full price but it goes on sale quite often for super cheap:

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/brawl

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Happy Hedonist posted:

Yeah, it's a decent Bomberman game now

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

ShootaBoy posted:

How does Bomber Crew control on Switch? I've played a ton of it on pc, so I know the game itself is good, I just dunno how well it translates to buttons and sticks.

Got a bit lost in the chaos of bad port chat.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I've never played a witcher game. Should I get witcher 3 on switch? I'm not big into skyrim but I love shadow of mordor. Idk if that helps.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

ErrEff posted:

I love that it opens with the devs saying something like "We are now confident you can port any current-gen game to the Switch".. this is giving me Borderlands 2 on Vita flashbacks.

There was that one reddit video that was popular here and elsewhere the first year or two of the console's lifespan where zealots defended the Switch in the same way, so long as you're willing to accept horrible graphics and sub 30-fps anything is both possible and good! You don't see it much anymore because most of it was born of this "i need at least 2-3 years of use out of my Switch, and producing a Switch pro too early would make me feel bad for spending money on the regular Switch." No one really believes it, deep down or otherwise.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

I've never played a witcher game. Should I get witcher 3 on switch? I'm not big into skyrim but I love shadow of mordor. Idk if that helps.

it's really good. i liked it a lot more than skyrim. the main draw is the storytelling, almost every single little side quest has an interesting context and gives you a little glimpse into the lives of the normies. the central cast of characters is great too. you will spend a huge amount of time hitting things with swords so i hope you are into that

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wow this port is even worse than the DF video made it out to be (video starts at YouTube loading spinners before big chunks of geometry/NPCs pop in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ8i-X0FxTI&t=170s

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think the technology exists to make a better Switch that isn't either as expensive as an iPhone or with a much worse batter life. Moores law ain't what it used to be

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Happy Hedonist posted:

What price is it now? I got it when it was on sale on the eShop for $10 and it’s absolutely worth it for that price.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Fallom posted:

Wow this port is even worse than the DF video made it out to be (video starts at YouTube loading spinners before big chunks of geometry/NPCs pop in)

wait a second are those loading wheels in the game

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rutibex posted:

I don't think the technology exists to make a better Switch that isn't either as expensive as an iPhone or with a much worse batter life. Moores law ain't what it used to be

The Tegra chipset has had two additional generations since, if not three.

The Switch could've had the X2 if Nintendo had been willing to wait another year.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Rutibex posted:

If it’s a hundred more so be it? 400 isn’t much for a console

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fallom posted:

Holy gently caress

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I thought it was understood from the beginning that the Switch was never competing in the same realm as the other consoles.

I am never at a loss for awesome, technically sound experiences with my Switch. I don't see the point in making it more expensive when you'd still likely be getting compromised experiences when it comes to AAA games.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Also Outer Worlds isn't worth playing on any console so no major loss really.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shammypants posted:

If it’s a hundred more so be it? 400 isn’t much for a console

Yeah but I paid $250 for a Switch lite and I'm super not interested in paying more than that for a portable system. If they put out a Switch Pro it would obsolete the cheap Switch Lite, or at best it would split the market. Switch Lite is the best portable Nintendo ever made, because it gets all of the full size console game releases.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

why would a switch pro make the switch lite obsolete when it has neither of the switch lite's selling points (small, cheap)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Having a Switch pro and a Switch lite is literally just the same as having Gamecube + Gameboy, or Wii + 3DS.

It defeats the entire purpose of the Switch.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Weedle posted:

why would a switch pro make the switch lite obsolete when it has neither of the switch lite's selling points (small, cheap)

because devs will not make good games for it

Many barely put the effort in when there is only one. The whole multi-pillar thing never works if there is any overlap at all

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I’m just totally lost here, so we shouldn’t hope for a custom X2 chip switch with capabilities like allowing for true Bluetooth connectivity and an enhanced WiFi system because people want really cheap switch units to still matter?

I think the problem here is that Nintendo took so long to release the Switch lite. It creates this sense that it’s state of the art or current when it was just both of factory deficiencies.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

What price is it now? I got it when it was on sale on the eShop for $10 and it’s absolutely worth it for that price.

Whoops I should have specified. It’s $20 on amazon atm. I went ahead and bought it in hopes of it being a fun family game. Plus, I’ve always liked single player bomberman, so why not.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Shammypants posted:

I’m just totally lost here, so we shouldn’t hope for a custom X2 chip switch with capabilities like allowing for true Bluetooth connectivity and an enhanced WiFi system because people want really cheap switch units to still matter?

...yes? People want the thing they paid money for to run the same games in a comparable way.

Especially because it's been a cornerstone of the Switch marketing.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I mean, I don't think anyone would be opposed to better bluetooth and wifi, but that sounds more like a hardware revision than a mid-step.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Fallom posted:

One thing to note here is that this was apparently recorded before the 6GB release day patch hit. Here's what the patch notes said:

quote:

This patch will optimise gameplay, provide additional hi-res textures, and include other fixes to provide the employees of Halcyon with the best gameplay experience. Please ensure you have planned accordingly and have available space necessary for the patch.

I know that the DF review did have the patch applied.

Anyway, this is $60.

EDIT: I can't get over how the patch mentions "additional hi-res textures".

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

...yes? People want the thing they paid money for to run the same games in a comparable way.

Especially because it's been a cornerstone of the Switch marketing.

By the time a switch pro comes out you’ll have a library of like 5 years of games. How long should people expect to wait if the only limitation is making switch owners feel good about their purchase?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

People are really harsh on The Outer Worlds and I don't get why

that port looks really bad though, that's totally deserved

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Happy Hedonist posted:

Whoops I should have specified. It’s $20 on amazon atm. I went ahead and bought it in hopes of it being a fun family game. Plus, I’ve always liked single player bomberman, so why not.

It’s still definitely worth it. The single player is classic Bomberman with some charming cutscenes so you should enjoy it. There’s a ton of content to unlock but it can be kinda annoying to get everything. I recommend looking up a farming guide to get everything quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Lord Lambeth posted:

People are really harsh on The Outer Worlds and I don't get why

that port looks really bad though, that's totally deserved
As someone who liked New Vegas and didn't care for the other Fallouts I played it and enjoyed it but got a little tired of it towards the end. It was free* on Game Pass though. If I had paid full price for it I probably would have come away feeling pretty disappointed.