Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cowcaster posted:

sorry but if it's any consolation it's because it winds up being a very minor spoiler in the big scheme of things and the reasons for why it came about are the real spoilers

in my experience having only played ace combat 7 and literally none of the others except for the one that showed up on a psx demo disc when i was ~10: the plots of ace combat 1-6 do not matter

Alright, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'd elaborate but to elaborate would only be revealing more! truly, a terrible burden to bear

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 2, 2020

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I’ve played ace combat since it was on ps2 and I guess almost all the games take place in the same universe and timeline but it doesn’t really matter. The plot wouldn’t make sense even if had played the others. It’s like Tom Clancy technowar thriller by way of Japan, with big gundam style “war is bad but check out these dope war machines”.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

FastestGunAlive posted:

I’ve played ace combat since it was on ps2 and I guess almost all the games take place in the same universe and timeline but it doesn’t really matter. The plot wouldn’t make sense even if had played the others. It’s like Tom Clancy technowar thriller by way of Japan, with big gundam style “war is bad but check out these dope war machines”.

the best way i can think of to describe it is "metal gear solid by way of people who are super into model fighter jets"

edit: also i should add the voice acting (in addition to the music) is way better than a game of its caliber deserves

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Yea that’s a good one. I typically watch all the cutscenes just to see what wild poo poo they have but anyone who wants to skip them, you aren’t missing anything.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If I have a Hotas stick, is it worth playing AC7 with one? I wanna feel like Maverick, or possibly Merlin.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DrNutt posted:

If I have a Hotas stick, is it worth playing AC7 with one? I wanna feel like Maverick, or possibly Merlin.

entirely overkill for a game like it, to be honest. it's starfox, not a flight sim. i will say you'll want a gamepad and not keyboard and mouse though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

the best way i can think of to describe it is "metal gear solid by way of people who are super into model fighter jets"

Top Gun as a JRPG

quote:

edit: also i should add the voice acting (in addition to the music) is way better than a game of its caliber deserves

they're exactly good enough, actually

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Oxxidation posted:

is ace combat 7 part of an actual series, do the events of ace combats 1-6 matter to it at all

It's a direct sequel to 5 mostly, but the main characters involved are different people so it doesn't matter if you haven't played the previous ones. There's absolutely a thread that goes throughout the big Zero -> AC5 -> AC7 trilogy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

It's a direct sequel to 5 mostly, but the main characters involved are different people so it doesn't matter if you haven't played the previous ones. There's absolutely a thread that goes throughout the big Zero -> AC5 -> AC7 trilogy.

I think it's kind of funny that because 7 is being so much fun so far that I might actually take my new skillset and go back and play the older ones - ironically this "finale" to a trilogy is setting me up for experiencing the whole thing.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Eastshade is so incredibly buggy and clunky and it feels like I'm playtesting a pre-1.0 elder scrolls game sans any combat. Definitely a case of the idea being better than the execution.

It's almost good but I feel like I've been fighting the game the whole time while playing it. I have about 50 screenshots of poo poo like this in about five hours of playing.

Sheep just walking around face deep in a lake.

This bear's legs just disappeared after a conversation.

Consider giving it a look if you want to play a budget elder scolls-like title that has no combat, off-putting animal people and is even clunkier, buggier and more unoptimized than your normal elder scrolls game.

It's the worst type of game, as in it's almost good and therefore compelling me to push through all the jank only to find myself walking through a wall someone forgot to put a bounding box on and have to reload a save from 20 minutes ago.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 2, 2020

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

StrixNebulosa posted:

I think it's kind of funny that because 7 is being so much fun so far that I might actually take my new skillset and go back and play the older ones - ironically this "finale" to a trilogy is setting me up for experiencing the whole thing.

unfortunately i think you're like me where you're a pc enthusiast first and foremost which means that unless you want to kick around some emulation stuff, ace combat 7's the only one you get

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Hwurmp posted:

Top Gun as a JRPG

eh, i think jrpg and i think turn based combat, doesn't cover it as well.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

anyway to make it a hat trick of posting i just replayed faceless soldier on easy to try and get myself into the swing of ace combat 7 again and i think i'm going to leverage it into powering through the end missions, thanks steam thread

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

unfortunately i think you're like me where you're a pc enthusiast first and foremost which means that unless you want to kick around some emulation stuff, ace combat 7's the only one you get

Yeah, that is my problem. Fortunately I'm willing to kick around at emulation stuff. But my ongoing lament: damnit Atlus (and everyone else), please port your stuff to PC it will sell like hotcakes and I will be happy as I'll recommend the games to everyone I know

Technically I could teach all of my friends how to work a PS2 emulator so they could play Nocturne but it is SO much easier to go "hey what's your steam ID" and slam a game at them

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Sivek posted:

Eastshade is so incredibly buggy and clunky and it feels like I'm playtesting a pre-1.0 elder scrolls game sans any combat. Definitely a case of the idea being better than the execution.

It's almost good but I feel like I've been fighting the game the whole time while playing it. I have about 50 screenshots of poo poo like this in about five hours of playing.

Consider giving it a look if you want to play a budget elder scolls-like title that has no combat, off-putting animal people and is even clunkier, buggier and more unoptimized than your normal elder scrolls game.

It's the worst type of game, as in it's almost good and therefore compelling me to push through all the jank only to find myself walking through a wall someone forgot to put a bounding box on and have to reload a save from 20 minutes ago.

I encountered none of these issues throughout the entire game, the worst I got were some weird collisions around rocks and some birds breaking their animations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah, that is my problem. Fortunately I'm willing to kick around at emulation stuff. But my ongoing lament: damnit Atlus (and everyone else), please port your stuff to PC it will sell like hotcakes and I will be happy as I'll recommend the games to everyone I know

Technically I could teach all of my friends how to work a PS2 emulator so they could play Nocturne but it is SO much easier to go "hey what's your steam ID" and slam a game at them

sorry again about the spoilers by the way, i feel bad about that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

sorry again about the spoilers by the way, i feel bad about that.

We're good, I'm not mad.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

A Sometimes Food posted:

...And Kiefer just being a markedly worse voice actor than Hayter...

I think you're right about a lot in your post but I have to stop you here... English speaking anime voice actors aside, David Hayter is the single cringiest voice actor in the business.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 2, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

eh, i think jrpg and i think turn based combat, doesn't cover it as well.

Tales of Topgunia

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Sivek posted:

Never encountered stuff like this either. You might just have bad RAM or something?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh no, nono, I had plenty of stuff like that in Eastshade too. Bad ram causes crashes, not buggy behavior.

Peaceful game though, I liked it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

GreatGreen posted:

I think you're right about a lot in your post but I have to stop you here... English speaking anime voice actors aside, David Hayter is the single cringiest voice actor in the business.

He’s really not. I’ll take Hayter’s worst over Sutherland’s apathetic check cashing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

anyway ace combat 7 needs an altitude ladder

edit: elevation ladder

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

So I'm pretty sold on Little Nightmares, are all the DLCs worth it for the extra $2.50?
Pages late but yes. Definitely grab the complete edition while it's on sale.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

ymgve posted:

Never encountered stuff like this either. You might just have bad RAM or something?

Nah, I've been playing like a million hours of games over the last month due to pandemic reasons and this is the only one that's like this, and from looking at the negative reviews for the game, they all seem to run into similar issues that I'm having. I can only speak from my own experience, but I've found multiple walls like this (ice cave quest area)

that you can 100% reproduce walking right through into a gaping void.

It's good that the bugs are not experienced by everyone, but they're a near game-breaker if you are having them.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Look Sir Droids posted:

He’s really not. I’ll take Hayter’s worst over Sutherland’s apathetic check cashing.

I agree that all 4 of Sutherland's lines in the game were totally phoned in, but I'd rather listen to the voice acting in Just Cause 2 than Hayter. I'd rather laugh than be embarrassed on behalf of someone.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

StrixNebulosa posted:

I recommend playing 4, 5 and 0 emulated, they're fantastic still. AC4 is the oldest of those, and the most primitive, but it's got a really good story told from 2 viewpoints. 5 is in my opinion the best Ace Combat game. 7 is trying very hard to emulate it (sometimes to a fault), but it never quite gets there. 0 is the latest one of those but chronologically the first - branching path campaign and a story that sets up everything else that happens in the other games. Last time I played it, emulators had the most problems with 0 and 5. And in the case of all 3, the game's ran MUCH better from no-cockpit first person view.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 2, 2020

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

GreatGreen posted:

I agree that all 4 of Sutherland's lines in the game were totally phoned in, but I'd rather listen to the voice acting in Just Cause 2 than Hayter. I'd rather laugh than be embarrassed on behalf of someone.

Why would David Hayter be embarrassed about having a fun time voicing his favorite role.

What is with goons and embarrassment.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

I really wanted to like Survive, but in my opinion it failed in two regards, both of them related to the postgame. One, while the campaign is fun enough, but after the ending there is nothing but endless tower defense missions and that gets old really fast. Two, the amount of weapons and gadgets you get is just laughable compared to MGS5. I seriously have no idea who took a look at that game, decided to reinforce the basebuilding aspect and take away 90% of the stuff you can build or interact with. There's what, four guns in the game? No weapon customization? No airstrikes, no fultoning, no weather gimmicks, no enemy AI to speak of... The postgame skills you unlock would be really fun if you could use them on something else than endless waves of slowly shambling zombies.

Again, I really liked the campaign even through its disappointing moments, but the postgame is just empty and going to that from the amazing sandbox that was MGSV just hurts.

I dunno, man. You can finish the campaign with blueprints for like six guns, a bunch of explosives, a bunch of traps, a bow with like 4 srrow types and like 20 melee weapons. And that's not counting the randomized guns you get as mission reward with perks and attachments. Then after that multiplayer unlocks a bunch more poo poo and you gear up to get the crossover equipment from all the themed events.

To me the postgame had far more structure than taking over another tiny outpost in MGS V in hopes of finding another S tier soldier to serve as a background stat bonus.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

god dammit the reason i stalled out on ace combat 7 is because i need to be sober enough to identify targets and take them down before things happen

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
drinking makes your brain rubbery and soft whereas my brain is always sober, and hard like a diamond, and very extremely broken

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Ace Combat owns, AC7 owns in particular, Strix please post in the AC7 thread where people will not ruin parts of the game for you jesus

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Holy poo poo apparently I installed AC7 a week ago and then just forgot??

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Funky Valentine posted:

What is with goons and embarrassment.

After witnessing some truly shameless posts on these hallowed forums you'd think they would not take issue with it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Ace Combat owns, AC7 owns in particular, Strix please post in the AC7 thread where people will not ruin parts of the game for you jesus

:shrug: I have the thread bookmarked but don't have much to say yet that isn't more useful here, where my commentary might convince someone to check it out.

Anyways I haven't played much today because of e/n bullshit but Katamari owns owns owns and it's lots of fun rolling around. I'm also now checking out Lego Star Wars because fuckit, what is stress if not an excuse to try new things.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

:shrug: I have the thread bookmarked but don't have much to say yet that isn't more useful here, where my commentary might convince someone to check it out.

Anyways I haven't played much today because of e/n bullshit but Katamari owns owns owns and it's lots of fun rolling around. I'm also now checking out Lego Star Wars because fuckit, what is stress if not an excuse to try new things.

I haven't told anyone to play Lego DC Super Villains in at least a week, so here I am again to beg everyone to play Lego DC Super Villains if you have any interest or affection for the DC universe at all. It's hilarious and so much fun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

HopperUK posted:

I haven't told anyone to play Lego DC Super Villains in at least a week, so here I am again to beg everyone to play Lego DC Super Villains if you have any interest or affection for the DC universe at all. It's hilarious and so much fun.

No sale and it's forty bucks so it's too rich for my blood, but it'll go on the wishlist. Thanks!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Huh, poo poo, Wonderful 101 Remastered comes out this month. I thought that was a few months out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

GreatGreen posted:

but solid snake is the greatest english-speaking anime role??