Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Leperflesh posted:

Your characters can (could? Haven't planed a modern version) die during character creation in Traveler. To some extent, creating a character in that system was a standalone game, with an endpoint that usually gave you the option of playing a different game.

You can get horrifically injured but not die, unless you use an optional hardcore rule. Then you can go into massive medical debt which you then have to pay off when play starts.

The mongoose version has some neat inter character synergy mechanics, and you really want to make your team of intracosmic fuckups as a group.

You also want to play pirates of drinax because it slaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The traveller character gen will generally give you some kind of backstory, though you won't necessarily get what you want in terms of what your character can do skill-wise.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The 2d20 star trek life path is neat because it walks you through your character's life history assigning stats and then ends with "here's a bunch of extra points to just jam whereever"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
more on Solasta:

* the Fighter leveled to 2, and gained Action Surge

* the Paladin leveled to 2, and:
- gained Divine Smite
- gained a Fighting Style; I chose Protection
- gained Paladin spellcasting; I prepared Bless, Cure Wounds, Divine Favor, and Shield of Faith

* the Sorcerer leveled to 2, and:
- gained one 1st-level spell slot
- gained the Sorcery Points ability
- gained the Flexible Casting ability
- gained the Rift Deflection ability (I think this one isn't in the SRD - it lets the Sorc use their Bonus Action to spend 1 Sorcery Point to increase AC and saves for one turn)
- learned one new spell; I chose Jump

* the Cleric leveled to 2, and:
- gained one 1st-level spell slot
- gained the Channel Divinity ability
- since she's a Life Cleric, Channel Ability uses are Turn Undead and Preserve Life

* clever little framing device to use the intro to get the party to level 2 so you never have the problems of adventuring as level 1 characters

* my first real combat is a random encounter with bandits, with the party having been Surprised while camping out in the wilderness

- the game helpfully tells you that you're going to take a Long Rest right after this anyway, so might as well let loose with all your spells; I bring this up because it's a nice "fourth-wall breaking" thing to say as if the game was a generous DM

- when the Paladin's Protection Fighting Style is triggered by a bandit attacking the Cleric that the Paladin is adjacent to, you get a dialog box that interrupts the AI's turn to ask you if you want to use it or not. This seems like a decent way to handle such mechanics.

- I tried looking for the Divine Smite button, and couldn't find it, and just made a regular attack instead. As it turns out, the game rolls the attack first, then, if it's a hit, gives you an interrupting dialog box to ask if you want to Smite. It even tells you how many spell slots you have left to Smite with.

- besides Smite and Protection, I got to play around with using Action Surge, and having the Sorcerer cast Guiding Bolt, and then the Fighter taking... advantage... of the Advantage granted by Guiding Bolt. That the rolling animation shows two green dice on Advantage and two red dice on Disadvantage is a nice touch.

Question: either I missed the part where it explains how to handle spellcasting components, or the tutorial didn't cover it. I was not able to cast spells with the Cleric because she didn't have a free hand because she had a mace and shield equipped. I did get to cast Healing Word, because that doesn't need a free hand. How do I deal with this in the future? Set-up a weapon-swap slot that's a mace and [nothing]?

* at the conclusion of the bandit fight, the game tells you that this was a rigged, scripted event that always happens, for the purposes of setting up the tutorial. It does this because there's one particular class ability that's supposed to prevent ever getting surprised, and they presumably want to reassure the player that this is not a bug. Again, I find that kind of honesty from the game's interface refreshing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Question: either I missed the part where it explains how to handle spellcasting components, or the tutorial didn't cover it. I was not able to cast spells with the Cleric because she didn't have a free hand because she had a mace and shield equipped. I did get to cast Healing Word, because that doesn't need a free hand. How do I deal with this in the future? Set-up a weapon-swap slot that's a mace and [nothing]?

I asked a friend who's big into Solasta. His response:

"There are two options
One - Keep one of your weapon sets with a free hand. I THINK that two handed weapons still count as "One free hand", so you should be able to cast with a crossbow equipped (I am not certain though)
Two - Go to Difficulty settings, one of the options let's you specify whether your casters need a free hand or not for Somatic component spells."

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The last DM I played with enforced that same rule of clerics having a hand free and I hate it; really seems to be at odds with how a cleric is intended to be played, both mechanically and thematically.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Jack B Nimble posted:

[rule] seems to be at odds with how [game] is intended to be played, both mechanically and thematically.
Mmm, yes, 5th Edition.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

You can swap weapon sets once per turn, so you can either have one set without a weapon/shield, or you can change needing a free hand in the difficulty settings. Note that removing the free hand requirement makes the game much easier.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I thiiink I actually ran into in Pathfinder? I could be wrong but I think it's an implied problem all the way back into, what, second edition? Because spells have somatic components, and how can you touch someone if your hands are free, etc etc. I think it just got (along with everything else) a lot more codified and inarguable in third edition and later.

But then you play Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and Pathfinder Kingmaker, and your weapons just conveniently don't matter for spells, and it's fine.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the reply, Arivia and ninjoatse.cx

Jack B Nimble posted:

Pathfinder Kingmaker

I'm playing this one on the playstation and it is gobsmackingly accurate to PF. I'm doing much closer coverage of Solasta because "how do you make 5e work in a PC game when the rulebook has so many holes in it?" is an interesting question, and I assume PF Kingmaker is much more well-known.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Solasta is a charming little game that I haven't had time to finish but whose implementation really impresses me. Besides fiddly inventory stuff like having a free hand for somatic components it also pays a lot of attention to elevation and lighting, such that you really start caring about having torches or environmental light sources going to stop all your attacks from having disadvantage.

I think Solasta actually stands as proof that 5e IS written with a lot of rigor, because while they've had to invent their own subclasses they haven't had to invent their own combat rules in pretty much any case. The actual problems with the game are matters of ideology more so than craft.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Jack B Nimble posted:

I thiiink I actually ran into in Pathfinder? I could be wrong but I think it's an implied problem all the way back into, what, second edition? Because spells have somatic components, and how can you touch someone if your hands are free, etc etc. I think it just got (along with everything else) a lot more codified and inarguable in third edition and later.

This kind of thing is forgotten in a ton of places. I think 5e had a magical item for Bards that actually only affected one spell in the game, because it was the only one with a component that actually required the item. Meanwhile in Pathfinder 2e there's creatures who can't cast half their spells because they don't have the limbs to do so.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Many of the spells that just have holes in them aren't in the game.

I love the game, but one of the early fights is just a fight you may have to play several times/change the diffciulty/add custom rules because the RNG can just outright slaughter you.

If you can't beat a fight and think it's total horse poo poo. You may not be doing anything wrong, and may just be suffering from 5e being a game of chance. Don't feel bad if you have to tone down the difficulty for a single fight, then turn it back up. I think it's level 4 or 5 where everyone can pretty much hold their own.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

But then you play Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and Pathfinder Kingmaker, and your weapons just conveniently don't matter for spells, and it's fine.

in pathfinder and i believe in 3e, there's items you can buy to add a holy symbol to your shield, so you can cast with both hands full

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ferrinus posted:

Solasta is a charming little game that I haven't had time to finish but whose implementation really impresses me. Besides fiddly inventory stuff like having a free hand for somatic components it also pays a lot of attention to elevation and lighting, such that you really start caring about having torches or environmental light sources going to stop all your attacks from having disadvantage.

I think Solasta actually stands as proof that 5e IS written with a lot of rigor, because while they've had to invent their own subclasses they haven't had to invent their own combat rules in pretty much any case. The actual problems with the game are matters of ideology more so than craft.

Only play Dwarves. All problems solved :black101:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Solasta's a wonderful illustration of how annoying it would be if your DM actually implemented the rules for darkness and low light levels

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Only play Dwarves. All problems solved :black101:

I think I ended up with like half-elf, halfling (the subrace with darkvision), elf (wisdom), elf (int) for this reason. But there's that big fight that gives you some human NPCs to control alongside your party so you gotta have a care anyway.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is there an RPG that's just character creation? That seems like a thing that would exist.

There's a pretty fun board game that is. It's just called Roll Player. It's basically a dice-gathering deck builder but the thing you're doing is assembling a not-D&D character, and you win by achieving character goals, like hitting exact stat goals and stuff.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

theironjef posted:

There's a pretty fun board game that is. It's just called Roll Player. It's basically a dice-gathering deck builder but the thing you're doing is assembling a not-D&D character, and you win by achieving character goals, like hitting exact stat goals and stuff.

That looks fun!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

theironjef posted:

I got this as a gift and really need to bust it out to play sometime.

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021
D&D's whole thing of making death gods and the death domain almost universally evil is an interestingly odd tic considering how death gods in most religions in human history were both very important and very positively portrayed. Funeral rites are like, half the job of a priesthood but apparently in D&D land that makes you a moustache twirling villain.

MarsPearl fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 2, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MarsPearl posted:

D&D's whole thing of making death gods and the death domain almost universally evil is an interestingly odd tic considering how death gods in most religions in human history were both very important and very positively portrayed. Funeral rites are like, half the job of of a priesthood but apparently in D&D land that makes you a moustache twirling villain.

This isn’t quite true. The god of the dead in the Forgotten Realms has been LN since mid 2e, and other settings have non-evil death gods as well. The problem is usually that there’s a big impetus to have an evil necromancer cleric build since that’s a classic archetype, and that gets given the game mechanic called “Death Domain.” (To oppose a standard PC healing and light cleric) It becomes really obvious that there needs to be a non-evil cleric of the dead option (usually called “Repose Domain”) and this sticks out more now because 3.0 realized this problem and fixed it in less than a year after the release of the core rulebooks, so 5e of course made the same mistake and took longer to fix it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
In 3e and after its more to reflect that death clerics get all the murder spells and less the passage into the next realm.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Should've been Death vs. Undeath

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nessus posted:

Should've been Death vs. Undeath
Was about to say, this isn't hard. Undeath bad, resurrection good.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

Was about to say, this isn't hard. Undeath bad, resurrection good.

Death still bad, experience points good

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
4e has the archlich, which is basically undeath good as long as you don’t take shortcuts

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
cleric of undeath (dasharez0ne)

e: just walk out. YOU CAN LEAVE!

work
outer planes
dungeon
too fancy wizard store
wall of the faithless
being dead
Inevitables if your quick

IF IT SUCKS... HIT DA BRICKS

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 2, 2022

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

cleric of undeath (dasharez0ne)

e: just walk out. YOU CAN LEAVE!

work
outer planes
dungeon
too fancy wizard store
wall of the faithless
being dead
Inevitables if your quick

IF IT SUCKS... HIT DA BRICKS

:hmmyes:

And in fairness I think this is a fantasy trope that extends somewhat beyond DnD though DnD may be something of a start point. Nerds often have a cultural fear of death that is unusual and outstanding compared to broader society, and unsurprisingly this means that like Hades is just portrayed as a flat out villain fairly frequently. Dominions 5 practically feels refreshing and exciting just because it treats Death magic as "something a society would use in a pragmatic way" and the Nature magic is not just uwu safe and nice but often kind of terrifying and dangerous (which, remember kids, fertility cults can be murderous as hell).

I think in general the anthropology of having access to magic is not thought through very much. I don't really blame authors for this, but I do like it when they do think it through. One that I've used in RPGs I just fully lifted from Caine Black Knife - the solar-law paladin types have access to some very potent healing magic, and they incorporate this into their rituals. Which of course means that you have to injure people in the course of the rituals in order to have wounds to heal, right? So some of their rituals involve stuff like ripping open a person's abdomen and sticking your hand right in, because once you can heal major wounds in seconds you get loving weird about it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i think being terrified of death is the norm for most people in most eras and contexts and being ambivalent to it is, at least in the context of English-speaking western countries, a weird loving Victorian affectation that we haven't managed to get over yet

e: although we might be describing slightly different things since i would say the same thing about the origins of our extremely romanticized ideas about nature, and treating proximity to death as wrong or unclean vs. death itself don't necessarily go hand in hand

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 2, 2022

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think the decision making process was "What domains should the Cleric of the Death Cult have?" and not much more than that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

it might not be conscious but i think it absolutely has a great deal to do with christianity casting ghosts and the spirits of the dead as a violation of the natural order rather than a part of it. the key thing isn't death itself, but the extreme and absolute separation of the living and the dead.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The geek social fallacy of dying or messing with corpses being bad

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
In Eberron there's the Undying Court of Aerenal.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i think being terrified of death is the norm for most people in most eras and contexts and being ambivalent to it is, at least in the context of English-speaking western countries, a weird loving Victorian affectation that we haven't managed to get over yet

e: although we might be describing slightly different things since i would say the same thing about the origins of our extremely romanticized ideas about nature, and treating proximity to death as wrong or unclean vs. death itself don't necessarily go hand in hand

Nah, having some sort of comfort around death is definitely not a Victorian-specific thing. Victorians were weird in a lot of ways but their death stuff was some of the least weird things about them.

I agree that pretty much everybody has some fear of dying which is why pretty much every culture develops methods for having some way of being comfortable with death. Funerary rites are older than writing for a reason and have a staggering array of expressions. Of course there are all sorts of oddities, like castes that work with death (leatherworkers, executioners) being forbidden from living inside the walls of German cities. Anthropology is cool.

In any event from when I was looking at this stuff for class, it seemed like most cultures tended to either treat death as a one-way street or to treat it as a kind of altered state. Either you die and go somewhere else never to interact with the living again, or you die and there's some element of you that stays in the world. Both of these have reasons why you'd find one or the other comforting and there's quite a few different expressions of them. Christianity tends to be the one-way street kind, and so a lot of the anger around ghosts is that ghosts are not compatible with the basic rules of the Christian afterlife, so they're tricks or illusions or lies.

Geeks do seem odd in that they seem to think that never ever dying in a physical sense is a reasonable thing to invest in and desire, which is not unique (some parts of Daoism operate on a "eternal life is a matter of alchemy" standing; this has gotten a lot of people killed), but it does feel unusual and outstanding as a cultural thing. Esp since the way DnD is written it sometimes feels like Paladins would burn down funeral homes.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Specifically in the context of D&D-like fantasy, I think we can define a spectrum between natural/eusocial death priesthood ("we must preserve life and prevent death whenever possible, but everyone dies eventually, so it's important that we provide end-of-life/post-life services as well") and unnatural/antisocial death priesthood (the usual array of murder, undead-creating, soul-tormenting, etc.), and ideally you can present individual cultural decisions based on this spectrum. Is it respectful to contact the spirits of the dead for advice or information, or are you disturbing their rest? If creating mindless undead doesn't interact with the dead soul at all, is it all right to turn your ancestors' skeletons into free farm labor, if that means surviving a harsh winter? What about raising freshly dead soldiers as zombies, if that would save the lives of others? Or win an invasion?

The problem here, as usual, is that D&D conflates the ethical and cultural questions of "how do we cope with the inevitability and massive psychic weight of death?" with the Big Absolute Cosmological Realities of stuff like positive and negative energy, so it ends up providing facile and uninteresting answers. "Look, you know it's evil because it uses the Black Lasers and it has the [Evil] tag in the spell description, okay?!"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tulip posted:

Nah, having some sort of comfort around death is definitely not a Victorian-specific thing. Victorians were weird in a lot of ways but their death stuff was some of the least weird things about them.

I agree that pretty much everybody has some fear of dying which is why pretty much every culture develops methods for having some way of being comfortable with death. Funerary rites are older than writing for a reason and have a staggering array of expressions. Of course there are all sorts of oddities, like castes that work with death (leatherworkers, executioners) being forbidden from living inside the walls of German cities. Anthropology is cool.

In any event from when I was looking at this stuff for class, it seemed like most cultures tended to either treat death as a one-way street or to treat it as a kind of altered state. Either you die and go somewhere else never to interact with the living again, or you die and there's some element of you that stays in the world. Both of these have reasons why you'd find one or the other comforting and there's quite a few different expressions of them. Christianity tends to be the one-way street kind, and so a lot of the anger around ghosts is that ghosts are not compatible with the basic rules of the Christian afterlife, so they're tricks or illusions or lies.

Geeks do seem odd in that they seem to think that never ever dying in a physical sense is a reasonable thing to invest in and desire, which is not unique (some parts of Daoism operate on a "eternal life is a matter of alchemy" standing; this has gotten a lot of people killed), but it does feel unusual and outstanding as a cultural thing. Esp since the way DnD is written it sometimes feels like Paladins would burn down funeral homes.
Geeks aren't "uniquely" weird about it, they just have a pretty high proportion of atheists. All afterlife stuff is about people being scared of dying but the solution of many religions is just saying death isn't really the end of it all. After you die you go on to heaven/reincarnate/become a ghost or whatever. So if you're religious and don't want to not exist any more then good news, your belief system says that doesn't happen! If you don't believe any of that but also don't want to not exist anymore then the only solution is not dying.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it might not be conscious but i think it absolutely has a great deal to do with christianity casting ghosts and the spirits of the dead as a violation of the natural order rather than a part of it. the key thing isn't death itself, but the extreme and absolute separation of the living and the dead.

Not just Christianity, Judaism also had specific laws against it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And in D&D world, there's lots of proof that death is not the end, so people "should be" a lot less scared about death anyway. Especially if they can afford resurrection. Although maybe they're a lot scared about being stuck as ghosts, or going to one of the many hells that are also definitely real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Leperflesh posted:

And in D&D world, there's lots of proof that death is not the end, so people "should be" a lot less scared about death anyway. Especially if they can afford resurrection. Although maybe they're a lot scared about being stuck as ghosts, or going to one of the many hells that are also definitely real.

Yeah, I honestly feel like D&D-world attitudes towards a lot of spiritual topics should be much different from (and weirder than) real-world ones, given how many metaphysical issues are just verified physical law. I think I've been thinking about "how do I roleplay a cleric in FR when her god is an actual guy whose existence and general desires are completely known? What form does religion even take in this world?" since I was about 15.