Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

magikid posted:

What a funny joke !

At this point no one really thinks of it as a joke. It's just a tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

Akratic Method posted:

At this point no one really thinks of it as a joke. It's just a tradition.

By now, I feel that "loving this poo poo" and "Drakengard" are intoned with a certain solemnity, like a Mason-style password or something.

"You who seek entry into the Inner Sanctum, are you... loving this poo poo?"
"Drakengard."
"You may pass."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

magikid posted:

Hey! Remember in that one Let's Play when The Dark Id said someone was "loving this poo poo?" Wasn't that hilarious? I think that was hilarious!

What a funny joke !

I actually don't remember that, what Let's Play is it originally from?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

magikid posted:

Hey! Remember in that one Let's Play when The Dark Id said someone was "loving this poo poo?" Wasn't that hilarious? I think that was hilarious!

What a funny joke !

goons

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Clock Tower 3, I believe.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

magikid posted:

What a funny joke !

:cripes:

But hey, at least we get to see a happy ending for once!

A really happy ending! :unsmigghh:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Waffleman_ posted:

Clock Tower 3, I believe.

Thank you! I'll read through it when I have some free time.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

magikid posted:

What a funny joke !

how do you feel about trains

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

bathroomrage posted:

:cripes:

But hey, at least we get to see a happy ending for once!

A really happy ending! :unsmigghh:

Maybe this is what the Nier 2 ending will be like.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Memories of the Intoners: Five

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Five is an economy of one.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

"Well, OK, he did 'reply' to that last messenger. His widow held a lovely service."

It's nice to know that, while Three and Four simply had deeper levels of their shittyness exposed, Five is simply as lovely as everyone expected. Though after DNA RNG experimenting and helium-huffer genoicde, I'm not sure where else Five could've gone. Debt repayment failure may have simply been all that was left.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Hey, you know what, let's give her props for making an effort at self improvement. She clearly recognized that being confused about subjects like "how to rule" and "what humanity is" are glaring defects in a ruler of humans.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Five seems like she's mostly good-intentioned. She just has absolutely no idea that not everyone wants what she wants.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bufuman posted:

"Well, OK, he did 'reply' to that last messenger. His widow held a lovely service."

It's nice to know that, while Three and Four simply had deeper levels of their shittyness exposed, Five is simply as lovely as everyone expected. Though after DNA RNG experimenting and helium-huffer genoicde, I'm not sure where else Five could've gone. Debt repayment failure may have simply been all that was left.

I think that debt repayment is post her getting murdered by Zero.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

ultrafilter posted:

Five seems like she's mostly good-intentioned. She just has absolutely no idea that not everyone wants what she wants.

Like, for example, preferences for not being tortured by her. "Huh!?!?"

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Bufuman posted:

Debt repayment failure may have simply been all that was left.

To be fair she was probably dead so we can't really blame her for that one. Karma is a bitch. Unfortunately, it is also Drakengard karma so sending food to poor children on your own bill is basically a death sentence.

Those were actually refreshingly positive memories.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ultrafilter posted:

If I'm interpreting the invoice orders right, she actually seemed to be starting to take her position seriously enough to put effort into improving herself and providing for her subjects. Like she was beginning to develop a rudimentary sense of responsibility after getting bored from having her every whim fulfilled for long enough.

Of course, knowing this series, that was just the early symptoms of grotesqurie queen-itis taking hold and she would go completely insane if left alone for a few more months.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Geostomp posted:

If I'm interpreting the invoice orders right, she actually seemed to be starting to take her position seriously enough to put effort into improving herself and providing for her subjects. Like she was beginning to develop a rudimentary sense of responsibility after getting bored from having her every whim fulfilled for long enough.

Of course, knowing this series, that was just the early symptoms of grotesqurie queen-itis taking hold and she would go completely insane if left alone for a few more months.

I'd imagine her own logic would be along the lines of if she has a wealthy kindom then she can live an even more luxurious life style without needing to do much else than just make sure everyone else is rich to get taxed.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Of course, we find out retroactively that at the end Five actually decided to try to be a good ruler and bought food for poor children before she died.

Also that her excess drove the economy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I actually kinda like the narrative presented by Five's intoner memories, even though it's about as subtle as, well, Five, who herself does pretty much nothing to reinforce this arc in the main game proper. Or in the DLC.

The game talks a lot about Five "Wanting" things more than actually "Having" things. When she gets what she wants, it quickly loses its luster, so she does away with it. One was aware of this, which is why she gave her the Land of the Seas to rule over in hopes that she would stimulate trade. A lot of people earlier in the thread also speculated that that was the reason why she and Dito were paired together - because he represented something she desired but could never truly have - which I agree with.

So here in her intoner memories we briefly entertain the idea that maybe Five was beginning to wake up to how hollow and superficial her life has been so far. "What is humanity? What is happiness?" Sounds like she's feeling a little lacking in both categories. Of course, in true Drakengard fashion, it's too little too late and she's the first intoner to get iced. Oh well.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Night10194 posted:

I think that debt repayment is post her getting murdered by Zero.

Ah, fair point. Didn't consider that. The ol' Superhero Reliance Rule: anything that relies entirely on one person goes straight to hell and gets hosed the instant that person inevitably dies, goes missing, or goes rogue.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

I actually kinda like the narrative presented by Five's intoner memories, even though it's about as subtle as, well, Five, who herself does pretty much nothing to reinforce this arc in the main game proper. Or in the DLC.

The game talks a lot about Five "Wanting" things more than actually "Having" things. When she gets what she wants, it quickly loses its luster, so she does away with it. One was aware of this, which is why she gave her the Land of the Seas to rule over in hopes that she would stimulate trade. A lot of people earlier in the thread also speculated that that was the reason why she and Dito were paired together - because he represented something she desired but could never truly have - which I agree with.

So here in her intoner memories we briefly entertain the idea that maybe Five was beginning to wake up to how hollow and superficial her life has been so far. "What is humanity? What is happiness?" Sounds like she's feeling a little lacking in both categories. Of course, in true Drakengard fashion, it's too little too late and she's the first intoner to get iced. Oh well.

Also note that apparently after looking up happiness and humanity, the very next thing she ordered was a substantial amount of food for starving children. And then she likely died before that ever went through.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ZCKaiser posted:

Also note that apparently after looking up happiness and humanity, the very next thing she ordered was a substantial amount of food for starving children. And then she likely died before that ever went through.

So basically she was murdered in the middle of trying to redeem herself and become someone decent.

DRAKENGARD!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, Five's Intoner Memories are the reason I can't really bring myself to hate her. It was weird to come out of Five's DLC with a higher opinion of her than I went into it with.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, Five's Intoner Memories are the reason I can't really bring myself to hate her. It was weird to come out of Five's DLC with a higher opinion of her than I went into it with.

Possibly due in part to the lack of screen time she gets in the rest of the game. First one to go and three scenes, most of which largely involve inuendo talk. You don't get to see her at her passion, which I suppose is what most of these DLCs have shown, really. Not so much One and Two, but the others got to do what they love.

The Dark Id posted:

I but it wasn't even juicy in-between all the wub-wub.

From the crab fight post. Not really sure what may have been intended.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I choose to believe that at some point Five decided she wanted something like "respect" or "admiration". She ordered the books about ruling so she could become a great ruler, purely so she'd be loved for it. From those she learned about Roman culture, and figured she also needs to look cultured, so she ordered a bunch of art pieces. The philosophy books are in the same vein, she just wanted to seem wise; and the reduced order size and getting rid of her vault is so she'd appear modest. Finally, the food for poor children is so she'd appear generous.

That's the only thing that makes sense to me considering who we're talking about here. And besides, she didn't seem any different from how she is in the DLC when Zero showed up.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

YeOldeButchere posted:

I choose to believe that at some point Five decided she wanted something like "respect" or "admiration". She ordered the books about ruling so she could become a great ruler, purely so she'd be loved for it. From those she learned about Roman culture, and figured she also needs to look cultured, so she ordered a bunch of art pieces. The philosophy books are in the same vein, she just wanted to seem wise; and the reduced order size and getting rid of her vault is so she'd appear modest. Finally, the food for poor children is so she'd appear generous.

That's the only thing that makes sense to me considering who we're talking about here. And besides, she didn't seem any different from how she is in the DLC when Zero showed up.

If you're doing nice things for people, does the base reason matter?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

YeOldeButchere posted:

She could just be playing it up. Her dialogue before and during dubstep crab almost sounded sarcastic. Not bubbly ditzy. Who knows, maybe she read some Moon-Uzt Art of War. She seemed ready to do something tactical before Dito back-cleaved her.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I'm impressed by the amount of character development achieved by simple delivery notices and past due notices.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I know it's official that Not-Spain was part of our world once but it's really weird seeing references to the Roman Empire.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The Dark Id posted:

Memories of the Intoners: Five

What is this symbol? Is it the Intoners? Five's? If so do the other intoners have symbols

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pierzak posted:

New avatar material? He's clearly loving this shrimp.

:colbert:.

Besides, the Taro Yoko one's too good :allears:.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

GunnerJ posted:

Like, for example, preferences for not being tortured by her. "Huh!?!?"

Well, considering her probable reaction to being tied up and whipped - as well as Ditos probable reactions to seeing his own wounds - I would not be surprised if she really didn't realize that not everyone enjoys being tortured.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Geostomp posted:

Even if they weren't, she probably is close to grotesquerie-ing anyways. Zero wants her AND her sisters dead, and she knows she's becoming less human, so they certainly are as well.

Zoe posted:

I know it's official that Not-Spain was part of our world once but it's really weird seeing references to the Roman Empire.

Up until what, 755AD, Drakenworld WAS ours, Roman Empire and all. Cathedral City plopped down in NotYetSpain with a whole host of future knowledge and dark magics.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
They stopped delivery services basically six months after the intoners' rule ended. I guess Brone really took the country into the dark ages.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ApplesandOranges posted:

They stopped delivery services basically six months after the intoners' rule ended. I guess Brone really took the country into the dark ages.

Thanks, Obroma. :jerkbag:

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

The Dark Id posted:

Maybe it's rotting?
Oh man, I bet it IS! It's probably collapsing into a big festering pile!
Let's finish this, already! I wanna see this thing's bloated, rotten corpse up close!

Oh, naaasty! It's all stringy and filled with little chunks!
Look! LOOK! Check out all the bugs wriggling around in the flesh! It's so gross! I LOVE IT! Aaaah ha ha ha ha!
Ohoho man, thiiiis is awesome! Ha ha ha ha ha ha! Hehahahaha!

(This did not work out as well as I thought it would.)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Tomero_the_Great posted:

(This did not work out as well as I thought it would.)
Good thing it worked out exactly as well as it needed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

It's important to enjoy a good, wholesome genocide.

• Locked thread