Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
So, I went by Cycle Gear after getting completely soaked and picked up a set of Frogg Toggs and some new waterproof gloves. I didn't know that Cycle Gear had "Bilt" branded Frogg Toggs, are they the same as the official ones?

It doesn't rain here much, but I'm planning to take some trips this coming year and I wanted some decent gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philanthropy!
Nov 8, 2012

RIDE A NEW BIKE, BECAUSE MORE HORSEPOWER EQUALS SAFER THAN
[quote="MetaJew" post="410681551"]

[/quote

Oh my days. What do you ride? Have you got an absolutely colossal high-viz yellow one-piece as well?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

So, I went by Cycle Gear after getting completely soaked and picked up a set of Frogg Toggs and some new waterproof gloves. I didn't know that Cycle Gear had "Bilt" branded Frogg Toggs, are they the same as the official ones?
Yeah, those are one of the few BiLT things that are safe to buy. They come off the same assembly line as normal Frogg Toggs, just with a BiLT logo slapped on.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Philanthropy! posted:

[quote="MetaJew" post="410681551"]

[/quote

Oh my days. What do you ride? Have you got an absolutely colossal high-viz yellow one-piece as well?

No, just a KTM that the PO removed all the reflectors from.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Attention skinny fucks who own Kriega bags:

I'm a skinny gently caress who owns a Kriega bag and I couldn't get the waist straps up tight enough to be as snug as I'd really like for them to do their job properly. It's taken me a couple of years to get around to it but I finally got that sorted this week by having an auto trimmer mate of mine fold the strap over on itself and then sew over it all to hold it all together, effectively making the straps a few inches shorter on each side:

Now the correct adjustment point for me has the adjustment sliders pretty much in the middle of their range, so it works a treat and I can get that waist strap nice and snug now.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008
I'm assuming the same thing could be accomplished with the shoulder straps as well and I may have to try that if so as those are the straps I struggle with.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I'm currently considering purchasing a Scorpion EXO-750 online. I've owned one in the past and wore a size L without issue. However, I tried on an EXO-400 at a bike shop recently and found the XL fit better. It's possible my head grew, but they didn't have a 750 and I wondered if you guys might know if the 750 is sized any differently than the 400.

Anyone have experience between the two? I doubt the manufacturer changes sizes that much but wanted to be sure.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

AngryGuy posted:

I'm assuming the same thing could be accomplished with the shoulder straps as well and I may have to try that if so as those are the straps I struggle with.

I don't see why not but to be honest I haven't looked at them to check as the shoulder straps are fine for me. How tall are you?

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I don't see why not but to be honest I haven't looked at them to check as the shoulder straps are fine for me. How tall are you?

5'6"

It's fine with my jacket on but I'd like to be able to get it a lot tighter for when I wear it without my jacket.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

AngryGuy posted:

5'6"

It's fine with my jacket on but I'd like to be able to get it a lot tighter for when I wear it without my jacket.

Ahh, that makes sense.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor
Oh mighty hive of motorcycle omniscience, I approach you this day that I might beseech your wisdom, that you might shine your favor upon your humble servant!

I needeth a new helmet, one of the modular variety with integrated sunglasses that it might blocketh the sun's harsh rays from your servant's eyes. I beg of thee that it might cost less than $200, that thine servant's wallet might not wail in despair.

Seriously, thanks in advance guys. :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I rather like my LS2 flip face helmet, but it might be pricier than what you're wanting. They roll off of the same assembly line as Fulmer helmets, I understand.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Safety Dance posted:

I rather like my LS2 flip face helmet, but it might be pricier than what you're wanting. They roll off of the same assembly line as Fulmer helmets, I understand.

My helmet (which may or may not be busted) is an LS2. I liked it OK; I just want to run through all my options before I commit to getting another one.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Wulframn posted:

My helmet (which may or may not be busted) is an LS2. I liked it OK; I just want to run through all my options before I commit to getting another one.

I picked up a Bell Revolver for about $200 from a local shop. It's a solid helmet, but a bit noisy.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Whatever you get do yourself a favor and look at http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/ and similar sites. Get last year's model and save yourself $100.

Never again will I buy a non-closeout special helmet.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Halo_4am posted:

Whatever you get do yourself a favor and look at http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/ and similar sites. Get last year's model and save yourself $100.

Never again will I buy a non-closeout special helmet.

...but...but you will get last year's outdated graphics!

In all seriousness never pay full price for a helmet.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Halo_4am posted:

Yeah, I was pretty happy about snagging an Evoline 2 for $250 this month.

tkahike
Jan 2, 2012

Vehicular hypochondriac.
I just began building my track racing outfit one at a time and I've just moved on to boots. I'm having difficulty finding strict track boots that aren't over $350. I don't want to skimp out on safety just because I have a budget, but the ones I have found in my range ($250 or so) are street. I tried playing the waiting game on craiglist, but 38 is hard to come by.

I've been looking at mostly these brands:
Alpinestars
Dainese
Spidi
Sidi

I guess my questions are:
Are street boots equal to track?
Are my expectations too high for my budget?
What time is best for deals to buy gear?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I found great condition Sidi Vertigo Airs for $80 on CL last month, keep your eyes open.
What are your street boots? I'd say $250 is far more than enough buying used.

tkahike
Jan 2, 2012

Vehicular hypochondriac.
I don't have street boots because I'm not allowed to ride on the road quite yet. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

tkahike posted:

I just began building my track racing outfit one at a time and I've just moved on to boots. I'm having difficulty finding strict track boots that aren't over $350. I don't want to skimp out on safety just because I have a budget, but the ones I have found in my range ($250 or so) are street. I tried playing the waiting game on craiglist, but 38 is hard to come by.

I've been looking at mostly these brands:
Alpinestars
Dainese
Spidi
Sidi

I guess my questions are:
Are street boots equal to track?
Are my expectations too high for my budget?
What time is best for deals to buy gear?

Things get really muddy when you start looking at the divide between "street boots" and "race boots". The biggest thing you're looking for in a track boot is replaceable toe sliders (not too difficult to find even on "street boots") and some kind of internal or external skeleton structure that will help both distribute impact if your bike lands on your foot, and stop twisting and folding injuries. The easiest test to do is to attempt to bend the ankle of the boot in half. If it can fold over on itself, the protection will be limited to just abrasion resistance, if you can't, the structure should help avoid twisting or snapping injuries. Look at the boots and thing about the way that your feet can bend and the way they can't bend and see if the boot helps prevent travel in the bad directions.

I find that most "street boots", even the most aggressive looking ones, tend to lack any sort of real internal structure to stop twisting or snapping injuries. I'd also look for a solid heel cup, as I've shattered one of those in an accident, and had a severely bruised heel (bad enough to make it impossible to walk normally) but no permanent damage thanks to the boot taking the impact and shattering internally rather than passing that force through to my foot.

tkahike
Jan 2, 2012

Vehicular hypochondriac.
It's hard to test and try out a boot because I have no motorcycle shops in my area (besides Harley and Cycle Gear). I've been to the local Cycle Gear, but they seem to stock only Bilt now. I assumed that reviews and descriptions of the product would help me out with not being able to physically hold a boot.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Z3n posted:

The easiest test to do is to attempt to bend the ankle of the boot in half. If it can fold over on itself, the protection will be limited to just abrasion resistance, if you can't, the structure should help avoid twisting or snapping injuries.

I disagree with this. I can fold my boot in half (with a pretty good amount of effort), but when my foot is inside and I twist my ankle around, plastic bits on the boot limit the movement. The boot provides support, but less support than an armored exoskeleton might.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Safety Dance posted:

I disagree with this. I can fold my boot in half (with a pretty good amount of effort), but when my foot is inside and I twist my ankle around, plastic bits on the boot limit the movement. The boot provides support, but less support than an armored exoskeleton might.

Well, a tightly laced set of workboots provide some support as well. But I'm not convinced that anything that can be bent in half with your hands is going to stand up to the sort of impact you'd take when you're in a situation where your ankle would break, and to be quite honest, I would much rather have my lower leg break in an accident vs. my ankle...it's easier to fix.

tkahike posted:

It's hard to test and try out a boot because I have no motorcycle shops in my area (besides Harley and Cycle Gear). I've been to the local Cycle Gear, but they seem to stock only Bilt now. I assumed that reviews and descriptions of the product would help me out with not being able to physically hold a boot.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...CFUjZQgod8gcA4A
Those are what my friend who just started riding is using as an everyday boot. He's really happy with them, they're comfortable enough to walk the ~5 blocks from his parking garage to his work. He bought his at cycle gear, so they might have a pair floating around that you can at least hold and see how they're different from the other ones.

All of the Puma boots with teh Ghost Doctor system are good:
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=3128
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4149
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=11695
The wife has a set of V3s on order for street boots.

Alpinestar SM-X Plus is another good option, I got a pair cheap on CL and used them for years.
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=2240

I daily/track a set of Daytona Security Evos:
https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=78
Only downside is they're loving expensive and no toe protection. But they're all day comfortable (I forgot a different pair of shoes sometimes when I worked retail and they were fine even when I was on my feet all day).

I haven't had hands on a set of Sidis in ages (they're very narrow and don't tend to fit me well), so I don't recall which ones have an internal protective skeleton and which ones don't.

I will also freely admit that I've got high standards for my gear - I don't care what it costs, I care that it's comfortable, protective, and will last. I've had my Daytonas for 6 years now, and I use them basically every time I'm on a motorcycle, so the daily cost is relatively low. I'm totally willing to spend an absurd amount of money up front if I'll be measuring the lifespan of some gear in 10+ years. If price is a concern, definitely plug those terms into CL and see what comes up. Keep an eye out on closeouts on sportbiketrackgear.com, motorcycle-superstore.com, and ebay.

tkahike
Jan 2, 2012

Vehicular hypochondriac.
Wow, thank you so much for the references, I completely forgot about sportbiketrackgear.
My brother has a pair of Sidis, not sure which, but I know he loves them. I've heard fantastic reviews about the puma boots. Would it be okay to order something before trying them on?

Edit: Sidi Vertigo

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Just be prepared to spend some money on return shipping in case they dont fit.

I think the Vertigos are good but I honestly dont recall.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I forget the names but in your budget the $200 and $250 Sidis are good entry-track boots. You don't get much internal skeleton with Sidi until the $400 price point, though. They are still quite popular. The Dainese I forgets around the 300 range have better ankle protection maybe but aren't as nice otherwise. Also, if you're buying for the track, probably best of with the vented/air variant.

If you buy online, read the reviews first for sizing info and buy from a place that will lot you swap sizes hassle-free (Revzilla is great for both of these.) IIRC Sidi sizing is wonky and you always have to get a size up(?) from what you expect, but don't quote me on it.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Z3n posted:

Just be prepared to spend some money on return shipping in case they dont fit.

I think the Vertigos are good but I honestly dont recall.

Don't diss my boots :mad:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AncientTV posted:

Don't diss my boots :mad:

Judging by your record with bikes, if you own them they must be terrible :v:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
:buddy: Does that still count if the bikes are no longer terrible by the time I'm done with them?

If not, then I'd say your ratio isn't much better than mine :parrot:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My parents got me a pair of Alpinestars Scout WP boots for Christmas. They're even the right size :stare:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
That's a great Christmas present Pope Mobile. My latest boot purchase was the Forma Adventure Boot from Whitehorse Gear:

So far, I like them quite a bit. They have a roomier toe box than my old Oxtar Infinity's (now TCX). I've tested the waterproofness in a mild rain, but not in an all-day torrential downpour.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 26, 2012

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I just picked up the Alpinestars Net Air boots from Revzilla. They seem to be the right size but are a bit wide. When walking around the top ankle part folds up a bit too much.

I cinched them down tight on my skinny calves and that makes it better.

How are your Alpinestars fitting you?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
They fit really well and don't feel wide with normal socks on. I'm usually a 9(.5) but they're nice and snug at a 10. I haven't ridden in them yet, but I might ride out to Tacoma tomorrow, so that'll be a good gauge of them.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Anyone got a decent Balaclava recommendation? I have one of the Freeze-out things from Cycle Gear, but it sucks. My neck beard just isn't cutting it when It's below 39f in the morning.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
I use the cyclone buff, it turns into a balaclava and has goretex and fleece on the neck part

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I have a Schampa and like it plenty.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

xd posted:

I use the cyclone buff, it turns into a balaclava and has goretex and fleece on the neck part

How do you like it? I picked one up recently and haven't had time to use it yet.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Pope Mobile posted:

I have a Schampa and like it plenty.

I just ordered this, looking forward to trying it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Local SF guys: Anyone want to buy my pair of AlpineStars GP Plus gloves? Brand new, I just decided to go with the extra large size instead. They're black and white, size large - $105. If not, I'm going to return them.