Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Andrast posted:

they are worse than microtransactions because if had wanted an in game thing I would have needed to buy a lovely toy to get it

they are better because that same price buys you the thing in multiple games instead of just one

Also, they are objectively not lovely, but it's OK if you don't like little statues of game things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Well, I'm glad Nintendo seems to have mostly abandoned that garbage

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
that's their MO, they're onto the next accessory/gimmick/toy as soon as their latest one is pushed out to stores.

No I don't have piles of Nintendo crap at my parent's house why do you ask

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You can also get around it using various sorts of tags or whatever.

Of course that means you go to Amiibo Jail like Dr Tim Whatley did when they used a pirated Amiibo. Legends say if you listen closely to the bottom of a Mario amiibo, you'll hear the words "Stardew when" echo through your skull.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Amiibo piracy is definitely for cool kids

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a lot of real amiibo that I wanted to physically own and also a deck of zelda cards :pirate:

I actually really want a toon zelda amiibo but alas

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If I were to ever pirate Amiibo I could never look my Mario Amiibo in the eye again.

It's bad enough that I can't look my Bowser and Peach Amiibo in the eye due to Bowsette.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

If I were to ever pirate Amiibo I could never look my Mario Amiibo in the eye again.

It's bad enough that I can't look my Bowser and Peach Amiibo in the eye due to Bowsette.

They released a Bowsette amiibo?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Andrast posted:

Amiibo piracy is definitely for cool kids

I would do it, but I do own a Link's Awakening amiibo. My first and last unnecessary video game paraphernalia aside from too many controllers. He's the perfect desk ornament, though it did get my partner to roll her eyes at me.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
if you think that's bad, I can only imagine the shame that one Destructoid writer feels after he ranked each amiibo for its but plug capabilities

Wario never had a chance

Mega64
May 23, 2008

KingSlime posted:

if you think that's bad, I can only imagine the shame that one Destructoid writer feels after he ranked each amiibo for its but plug capabilities

Wario never had a chance

True gamers feel no shame.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

True gamers feel no shame.

boy howdy

the most shameful people never feel any shame

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The only cool statues were the ones for smash bros because it was like a little pet bot you could train. In everything else it was just Swipe Daily for An Hat.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The Bloop posted:

I actually really want a toon zelda amiibo but alas

The toon pair cost me $50+shipping and it was worth it. My favorites besides the Bayos and mega man.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If Nintendo wanted me to change my mind about amiibos they would have made a Hollow Knight amiibo but they didn't

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Get this working Ultra Buff Pikachu amiibo on etsy today!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Not buff enough

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The Bloop posted:

God drat this horny thread.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Bloop posted:

they are better because that same price buys you the thing in multiple games instead of just one

Also, they are objectively not lovely, but it's OK if you don't like little statues of game things.

Those early smash Bros ones were pretty lovely but they've improved a lot

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

John Romero posted:

just finished florence. Worth a few bucks- you'll be charmed then devastated then charmed again

what's that one about again?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
whoops

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Mister Facetious posted:

what's that one about again?

asian girl is sad, gets in relationship, finds herself

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Paper Mario looks kind of neat. Think I'll wait for reviews, but the battle system looks more engaging than Sticker Star's or Color Splash's at least.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Posting from a page or two back but it's really not actually that creative because they've played the paper gimmick to death at this point and this is just more of that

The former wrestling champ who was secretly draining the energy of everybody he signed up for example was loads more creative

I like the rubber band boss since it has a unique design, but that's about it. The rest are literally just office supplies.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Araxxor posted:

Paper Mario looks kind of neat. Think I'll wait for reviews, but the battle system looks more engaging than Sticker Star's or Color Splash's at least.

I like the rubber band boss since it has a unique design, but that's about it. The rest are literally just office supplies.

"Excuse me Mr. Bowser, I believe you have my stapler..."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

I think I've asked this thread before, but are you guys unable to parse if you'd enjoy a game and its mechanics from gameplay clips? Like most of us, I've been playing video games for over 20 years now (this is not something to be proud of) so it's not exactly a difficult mental ask. My interpretations when looking up new games to play are usually pretty spot on for myself. Being surprised to find out otherwise is nice but this is pretty rare.

What I'm saying is turn on your monitor

If you look at 20 seconds of game footage and instantly assume you know everything about how the game plays you are wrong. A lot of gameplay does not show either good or bad elements of a game in pre-release material, nor does it actually express how it feels in context.

Most likely you are not buying games you think suck and thus are more likely to play things you think look good or because you've decided something is bad you will be more negative to it after spending $60 on it to... I don't know, be snarky on the internet?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

If you look at 20 seconds of game footage and instantly assume you know everything about how the game plays you are wrong. A lot of gameplay does not show either good or bad elements of a game in pre-release material, nor does it actually express how it feels in context.

Most likely you are not buying games you think suck and thus are more likely to play things you think look good or because you've decided something is bad you will be more negative to it after spending $60 on it to... I don't know, be snarky on the internet?

i can tell if a game is good or bad from a single screenshot. if there is a viable hex grid my mind if made up.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Hell I’ve bought games where I’ve watched several hours of actual game footage from let’s plays thinking I’d like them only to find out was wrong.

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe
I was all but ready to preorder the new Paper Mario until it was pointed out that weapon degradation was a thing. That may have (debatably) worked in Breath of the Wild, but that doesn't mean it needs to be in every game, and in fact, that sort of thing is part of what eventually put me off of the newest Animal Crossing. As far as Origami King is considered, I'm just gonna wait for reviews. It still looks better than the last couple, though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmjL9ZBbZl0

As it turns out, there are boss battles against things that are not office supplies.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Araxxor posted:

As it turns out, there are boss battles against things that are not office supplies.

I want more office supplies

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Araxxor posted:

No poo poo.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Andrast posted:

Nintendo Switch: I want more office supplies

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

I saw a big Pokey in that trailer somewhere and i'll be damned if that's not a boss fight.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is there an office supply tier list?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Phantasm posted:

Thumb tacks are God Tier

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

S+ Paperclip

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Laminator is the king of stationery, at the very least.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Even Nintendo can't make Clippy charming

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006