Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

CCP screwed up by not making a game that would be impossible to build but very popular 13 years in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

ewe2 posted:

Hey MoMa, this is how a professional does it:

I tailor my responses to the audience.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Do more of this type of thing.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Notice I didn't come back to gloat or :smuggo: all over you guys.

:gary:

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

ftfy

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

ManofManyAliases posted:

boy, you great!

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Star Citizen: Kill players to improve framerate

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Optane technology is pretty drat impressive and really fast. But has a similar problem to a Lamborghini in Ecuador: other factors slow it down and it's expensive as gently caress

And yet, people do buy Lambos in Ecuador, because there are always guys who want to have the fastest poo poo even if it will self-destruct after the first pothole.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
http://i.imgur.com/ZqGt2sd.gifv

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Lladre posted:

I had a question to post but after slogging through the last twelve pages I completely forgot what it was.

If you want to know if Puigdemont will go to jail or not, we can not help you here, friend.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

:3:

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

"The upcoming 3.0 patch does allow players to explore the surface moons on foot and then go from ground to space to another moon surface without loading screens"

I still love that they think this is hard, or revolutionary.
Its not. It's actually pretty easy to do, just very few games would actually benefit from it.

Here's a free tech demo ( in fricking Unity no less) where you can move a camera from the surface of a Saturn sized world to an Earth sized moon. Its based on the Proland procedural world academic engine, which I also use myself in personal projects.
https://github.com/zameran/SpaceW

Edit: And heres some shots from my own piece of hot garbage which can also hop from planet to planet without loading screens.

Codezombie fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 31, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I don't understand why World of Warcraft spent so long as a hugely insanely popular MMO that literally printed money, it seems like if they'd focused their attention developing historical-themed first person shooters we'd all be playing that instead of CoD:WWII :smuggo:

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

wow missed that joke by a few pages m8

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

ZenMaster posted:

Thanks. I still wanted to be a part of the gang, but manage real life stuff too, you know?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ManofManyAliases posted:

Thanks. I still wanted to be a part of the gang, but manage real life stuff too, you know?

Well, if you're not able to keep up with the thread at all times you're probably not properly invested into this thread and do have a life.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

ZenMaster posted:

In MoMa's defense, that 'a few pages' is like, 4 hours at times.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Codezombie posted:

Edit: And heres some shots from my own piece of hot garbage which can also hop from planet to planet without loading screens.

U got simulated waves in there commando?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Golli posted:

Intel isn't interested in becoming a commodity hard-drive vendor catering to one segment of the consumer market. This is their fallback play till they can figure out how to leapfrog the competition in enterprise storage.

Yeah, exactly. It's all about being the toll booth.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ManofManyAliases posted:

So glad they were just predictions.

I believe in you, friend. Be nice and be chill and I think you’re an ok guy. :)

I’m glad you bring these views in, and can keep people nipping at your toes constantly. It’s magic.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Virtual Captain posted:

U got simulated waves in there commando?

Yeah, Archered from Eric Bruneton's ocean BRDF work.
(pic shows me trying to make my shader a little less poo poo, mostly by adding transparency to a substance famed for its transparency! ;) )

https://hal.inria.fr/inria-00443630/file/article-1.pdf

Codezombie fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 31, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Four years ago, backers knew (well, they thought they knew) the release date of SQ42, the overall scope of SC, and had a general idea of the gameplay involving professions.

Today, after thousands of days of development, they don't know anything for sure about those points, besides the fact that the game will be the best ever and has the most open development.

Just as they thought everything was going well, they learn Chris Roberts secretly funneled development time and energy into render to texture technology and Face Over IP. Two things nobody asked for, wanted, or expected.

They could have made actual progress, but this is loving Chris Roberts were talking about here. The guy who can’t focus on the end goal long enough to get a space ship flying good in his space game before he’s off building sand worms into an FPS game nobody wanted.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Goobs posted:

Are we taking bets on when CR will sell vials of his own blood to backers like Richard Garriot did?

He would, but that might mean taking a drug test first.

Can’t have none of that.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

The Titanic posted:

Just as they thought everything was going well, they learn Chris Roberts secretly funneled development time and energy into render to texture technology and Face Over IP. Two things nobody asked for, wanted, or expected.

They could have made actual progress, but this is loving Chris Roberts were talking about here. The guy who can’t focus on the end goal long enough to get a space ship flying good in his space game before he’s off building sand worms into an FPS game nobody wanted.

Adderall is for people who can't afford cocaine

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

The Titanic posted:

To be fair, if your engine for some reason does'nt support render to texture, it's probably REALLY worth getting it working, because, its a pretty fundamental corner stone of most render engines these days, and not having it is bad. (Boasting about getting it work however makes you look like an amateur.)

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Lladre posted:

At least when this all goes tits up he can shave his face and head and no one will recognize him.

Not anymore:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mne nravitsya posted:

Star Citizen: Kill players to improve framerate

It's like Space Invaders you see.

But without the invaders

Or space :v:

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Seamless movement between space and planets with no loading screens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_76tyhF1Sg4

Also, space combat and physically simulated thrusters with fly by wire.... if you download the right mods.

Nobody has yet written a local physics grid mod and managed to get kerbals walking on the ceiling though.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Please say this is true and CR was in a box like the much laughed at space rape man, waiting to jump out and show you the sickening and heartbreaking truth of the results of space piracy.

Are those urinals? There’s no walls between them? Gross.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Codezombie posted:

To be fair, if your engine for some reason does'nt support render to texture, it's probably REALLY worth getting it working, because, its a pretty fundamental corner stone of most render engines these days, and not having it is bad. (Boasting about getting it work however makes you look like an amateur.)

I’m not a game engine girl so I have no idea. If this is a thing that’s fine. But to me, it looks like CR is missing the tennis game and going to play on a boat half way during his match because why not.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Codezombie posted:

"The upcoming 3.0 patch does allow players to explore the surface moons on foot and then go from ground to space to another moon surface without loading screens"

I still love that they think this is hard, or revolutionary.
Its not. It's actually pretty easy to do, just very few games would actually benefit from it.

Here's a free tech demo ( in fricking Unity no less) where you can move a camera from the surface of a Saturn sized world to an Earth sized moon.

KSP is also done in unity.

illectro posted:

Nobody has yet written a local physics grid mod and managed to get kerbals walking on the ceiling though.

Didn't you make a landing upside-down clip? How did that work?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

The Titanic posted:

Please say this is true and CR was in a box like the much laughed at space rape man, waiting to jump out and show you the sickening and heartbreaking truth of the results of space piracy.

Chris was not in the box, sadly :(

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daztek posted:

Chris was not in the box, sadly :(

yea Sandi has been pissed ever since the movie premiere.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

SCtrumpHaters posted:

yea Sandi has been pissed ever since the movie premiere.

I dunno why. It's not like she had any presence in any recently released movie...

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SCtrumpHaters posted:

They willfuly deny the brilliance of Star Citizen, hide behind a wall of cynicsm and only criticize. But mark my words, when the game releases, even the most cynical won't be able to hide before it's brilliance. These haters will be the first in line wanting, no, begging to play. And we'll look down and whisper "No".

I will man your ball turret, cap’n!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The Titanic posted:

Hello my lady. This is how all men's bathrooms are laid out. It's considered bad form to line up next to another gentleman if a farther away portal is available.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

The Titanic posted:

That's the reason why there are almost never any queues in front of men bathrooms. Everyone wants to get out ASAP, before their dicks have been looked at!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Bring back recipes!

I remember there were some schnitzel tips in the thread. I don't remember what they were.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Tank Boy Ken posted:

That's the reason why there are almost never any queues in front of men bathrooms. Everyone wants to get out ASAP, before their dicks have been looked at!

Looking over at another dude while lined up at urinals is a great way to start problems in the men's bathroom.

Eyes ahead, gentlemen, look at the wall.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

SelenicMartian posted:

Bring back recipes!

I remember there were some schnitzel tips in the thread. I don't remember what they were.

1. Take meat
2. Light up grill
3. Put meat on grill
4. Once meat well done - put meat on plate
5. Grab! Eat!
6. push Big Benny machine through your living room
7. Get a refund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

XK posted:

I had children to be my spaceship crew, but the game's been delayed so long they've all gone off to college. My main turret gunner finished packing up all his belongings, mocked my Consolidated Outland Pioneer to my face, then said, "gently caress you dad.", before driving away.

Anyone want to join my org?

I’ll join but only if I can get the good uniform this time, not the French maid outfit like the last ship I had to crew on did. I’ll almost mop your floors clean every day, or hand load your 18,000,042 cubic tons of cargo in tiny 1’x1’ boxes for as long as it takes!