Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Well, the game is hosed but at least the tutorial is working...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WxUhBXNOKA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6503118/#Comment_6503118

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6503222/#Comment_6503222

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6503338/#Comment_6503338

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lime Tonics posted:

Star Marine was canceled because cryengine is to difficult to make a FPS in. Everyone knows that.

paaarp

As I read the tea leaves, Illfonic's product was not anywhere close to CR's standards so CIG was trying to get it up to snuff. (Still trying). Then the DS-shitstorm hit CIG, and backer's were beginning to ask for refunds. Suddenly CIG was facing an existential crisis of confidence. Backer's were losing faith that CIG could actually deliver load-screen free game play with 64-bit precision, and seamless movement between ships and EVA.
CIG had to show progress on the Large-world side. A StarMarine release was not going to be sufficient. So it was all-hands-on-deck bringing the Baby PU out, which was the only thing that could shut the nay-sayers up. It worked, the DS bugaboo has been slain. CR proved he can do the impossible, hallellujah.

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

eXXon posted:

So it was all-hands-on-deck bringing the Baby PU out, which was the only thing that could shut the nay-sayers up. It worked, the DS bugaboo has been slain. CR proved he can do the impossible, hallellujah.

god dammit he's right

close the thread guys

ps: man this is so much fun

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

D_Smart posted:

quote:

If one or more turn out to be on the "We're outta here!" list Derek and EightAce teased, then Katie bar the door.
It's worse.

Hmm, to speculate: it could be Erin telling CIG that Foundry 42 has to close for reason X.

X could be:
- Insufficient money to fund the studio for another month
- Mass leadership departure, because of unimaginable incompetence and threats to future income
- Investigation by gov't of England into CIG behavior

I can't think of anything worse than that.

Derek - I don't see how you think that CIG will fail slowly. The company depends upon it's reputation for crowd funding. If that reputation takes a permanent hit, then I think the company will lose crowd funding almost instantaneously. The income stream will collapse and employees will flee. Before the end of the month, CIG will be a hollow company. I don't know if there is a situation where CIG shows classic and visible signs of failure (missed pay checks, mass layoffs) and continues to get crowd funding for a medium time scale (order of months).

Also, LoL at the failed Starfarer numbers.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SomethingJones posted:

Star Traders on the other hand is designed by (I think) a couple of ex-CIG employees who have no problem ripping off amateur artists on Deviantart and copying ideas from other tabeltop/card games, and you probably shouldn't give them any money if you give a poo poo about that kind of thing.

Star-traders is a 30-year-old game which has not been published in a long-rear end time so the rights reverted back to the author, who is running the kickstarter. He could not use the original artwork so welp.

It is a loving boring roll-the-dice race game. Good for children, I guess.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
It seems to me that whatever happened to Ilfonic has happened or is in the process of happening to Foundry 42.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SALR/The Forums Mangled The Quote posted:

Could you elaborate on what you mean by that. As we worked out earlier I'm really poo poo at innuendo and insinuation.

Don't worry I wont make a habit of asking.

What customer list? LOL!!! Do you really thing ANY publisher/dev in their right minds values that "list" of mostly Shitizens?

Here's the names of a couple thousand people who revile game companies that don't feed their perception of providing valuable input on how to bloat your software with terrible ideas.

Do I hear $5.

Look, Bob, it will be easy to handle that crew cheap. Throw up a forum, get a couple of multi-ethnic cute girls (since those losers will generally chase anything with a pulse), and do an occasional podcast and they will keep coming back and handing us money! It's a gold mine!

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 27, 2016

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6503271/#Comment_6503271

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sperglord posted:

It's worse.

quote:

Hmm, to speculate: it could be Erin telling CIG that Foundry 42 has to close for reason X.

X could be:
- Insufficient money to fund the studio for another month
- Mass leadership departure, because of unimaginable incompetence and threats to future income
- Investigation by gov't of England into CIG behavior

I can't think of anything worse than that.

Derek - I don't see how you think that CIG will fail slowly. The company depends upon it's reputation for crowd funding. If that reputation takes a permanent hit, then I think the company will lose crowd funding almost instantaneously. The income stream will collapse and employees will flee. Before the end of the month, CIG will be a hollow company. I don't know if there is a situation where CIG shows classic and visible signs of failure (missed pay checks, mass layoffs) and continues to get crowd funding for a medium time scale (order of months).

Also, LoL at the failed Starfarer numbers.

My guess based on two events: Erin visiting the LA office, and Chris visiting the UK office. Something is wrong with SQ42. They hit some kind of critical blocker - something that deeply threatens their ability not only to reach a release date, but possibly release anything at all. Chris was in the UK to wave his hands around and think he's "directing" the project, and Erin was in the US getting with the team who knows anything at all about the janky code he's trying to build a game from, hoping to take back any information he can to help him move this shitshow along.

Mick Jaggoff
Sep 11, 2012
Did crobberts and pusher pay to be in this card game or not? Let's examine -

ex. a, Chris Roberts implies not:

"Ryan (Archer) was kind enough to render Sandi and I as Star Trader characters"

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15246-Note-From-The-Chairman
"They’ve (David Ladyman & Ryan Archer) also scattered some Star Citizen Easter eggs in the game itself… and even asked Sandi and I to appear as characters."

ex. b, David Ladyman seems to suggest so:

from fuctifino
David Ladyman: "Sandi and Chris are two of our biggest backers. Getting your face in the game is one of the pledge levels. They have approved their art."

ex c, pledge levels: (img from EminusSleepus)

$3,500

verdict::gary:

Mick Jaggoff fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 27, 2016

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

From the starfarer video, it's starcitizen dot jpg:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

fuctifino posted:

Waiting for Derek to catch up with the thread is like waiting for Star Marine to be released....

Seriously. We have to do this AGAIN?!?

Star Marine IS released! It's right there in the baby poo, erm, PU. How many times do we have to tell you this before it sinks in?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

hakimashou posted:

hail satan

I hope it fails. We need to invade that with truth and make sure it doesn't get the money.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I would just like to point out that none of this art theft stuff would ever have come to light, if Sandi hadn't insisted on toting around her stunt double all week and confused goons into trying to figure out just where the hell that short-legged bobble head design came from.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
So, thanks Sandi.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

hakimashou posted:

hail satan

That is a pretty sweet pentagram in the middle.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The "community" is still picking on this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc7o-uDmvio

Hey, person reading this thread, get a better "community manager".

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

hakimashou posted:

wait derek smart did you seriously not do the goondeyadda yet?

also what happened to beer and bootcha do they not post anymore in here?

Dunno about Beer, but bootcha got tired of the thread eating it's own and decided to take a vacation.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cosmic Owl posted:

Did crobberts and pusher pay to be in this card game or not? Let's examine -

ex. a, Chris Roberts implies not:

"Ryan (Archer) was kind enough to render Sandi and I as Star Trader characters"

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15246-Note-From-The-Chairman
"They’ve (David Ladyman & Ryan Archer) also scattered some Star Citizen Easter eggs in the game itself… and even asked Sandi and I to appear as characters."

ex. b, David Ladyman seems to suggest so:

David Ladyman: "Sandi and Chris are two of our biggest backers. Getting your face in the game is one of the pledge levels. They have approved their art."

ex c, pledge levels: (img from EminusSleepus)

$3,500

verdict::gary:

Dude the pledge level is named after them

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

My guess based on two events: Erin visiting the LA office, and Chris visiting the UK office. Something is wrong with SQ42. They hit some kind of critical blocker - something that deeply threatens their ability not only to reach a release date, but possibly release anything at all. Chris was in the UK to wave his hands around and think he's "directing" the project, and Erin was in the US getting with the team who knows anything at all about the janky code he's trying to build a game from, hoping to take back any information he can to help him move this shitshow along.

The counter argument is that we have no sign that LA was ever a center of Star Citizen code development. At least two years ago, Foundry 42 took over the role of SQ42 development, with dev support from Austin. When CIG Germany appeared, they took on a fundamental engine development role. Again, LA remained marketing and ship design HQ, but I don't know if LA was ever the center of code design.

If Erin was going to look at code blockers, he would have to gather the teams in Austin and Germany. I guess the big tell here is if there are other producers and developers in LA.

What LA does have is finances. LA would be able to tell Erin what money remained and what his projected budget will be. Erin would be in LA to synchronize the remaining projected development funds with the remaining Foundry 42 tasks, if he is still working on the project.

Of course, we are assuming that Erin has full visibility to CIG finances. He is Robert's brother, but he isn't a member of the Chris Roberts / Ortwin duopoly. I can see Chris Roberts not wanting to level with Erin about the true state of the company, especially if Chris brought in Erin using a misleading depiction of Erin's new role.

Do we think that Erin likes being on a failing project with a delusional megalomaniac as a boss? What are the odds that Chris brought in Erin with promises of Chris giving Erin a leadership role and then, when Erin arrives, Chris never ceding the required authority? Wouldn't that fit Chris's personality as we know it? In this hypothetical situation, we shouldn't expect Erin to have the full picture, less Erin feel totally betrayed by Chris.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Skellybones posted:

I would just like to point out that none of this art theft stuff would ever have come to light, if Sandi hadn't insisted on toting around her stunt double all week and confused goons into trying to figure out just where the hell that short-legged bobble head design came from.
I'm amazed at how you guys even discovered that. :psyduck:

eviljack
Feb 26, 2016

You're getting hungry

Scruffpuff posted:

Well, I guess if they just had 1 tightly coordinated office, it would have been much harder. Thank god they have 12000 offices spread across all timezones so they can be working all the time and be more efficient! Crobbers is a genius

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

You know you have a terrible argument when even Hiei can shoot it down easily.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6503354/#Comment_6503354

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

Omi-Polari posted:

I found it on reddit, but it was posted there by a mysterious commando who is no doubt also reading this thread

o9 ghost commando

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Skellybones posted:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Omi-Polari posted:

Look, WebDog posted like 2 pages ago. We could let him sniff a metaphorical sock and set him lose, but the unexpected consequences could be dire.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sperglord posted:

The counter argument is that we have no sign that LA was ever a center of Star Citizen code development. At least two years ago, Foundry 42 took over the role of SQ42 development, with dev support from Austin. When CIG Germany appeared, they took on a fundamental engine development role. Again, LA remained marketing and ship design HQ, but I don't know if LA was ever the center of code design.

If Erin was going to look at code blockers, he would have to gather the teams in Austin and Germany. I guess the big tell here is if there are other producers and developers in LA.

What LA does have is finances. LA would be able to tell Erin what money remained and what his projected budget will be. Erin would be in LA to synchronize the remaining projected development funds with the remaining Foundry 42 tasks, if he is still working on the project.

Of course, we are assuming that Erin has full visibility to CIG finances. He is Robert's brother, but he isn't a member of the Chris Roberts / Ortwin duopoly. I can see Chris Roberts not wanting to level with Erin about the true state of the company, especially if Chris brought in Erin using a misleading depiction of Erin's new role.

Do we think that Erin likes being on a failing project with a delusional megalomaniac as a boss? What are the odds that Chris brought in Erin with promises of Chris giving Erin a leadership role and then, when Erin arrives, Chris never ceding the required authority? Wouldn't that fit Chris's personality as we know it? In this hypothetical situation, we shouldn't expect Erin to have the full picture, less Erin feel totally betrayed by Chris.

I'm going by a recent video they released that had developers in LA talking about how much trouble they were having with ship physics and whatnot. They were changing numbers all over the place and the physics would work, then not work, then work again, and they had no idea why any of it was happening. So there is something going on in LA. I can't say what percentage of their work is making it into the code builds, though. With development this open, it's hard to tell anything that's going on.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lime Tonics posted:

The "community" is still picking on this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc7o-uDmvio

Hey, person reading this thread, get a better "community manager".

loving really? They're still doing this? What kind of loving mental disorder do you need to have to keep harrassing some old guy who makes videos no one watches because he had a problem with your favorite unfinished videogame? And how the gently caress has someone at CIG not by now said "This needs to stop. You're making us look bad, you're making Star Citizen look bad. Stop bothering old cancer patients"? I know Ben and Sandi have no goddamn clue what they're doing, but even they should be able to figure out that letting your community do this kind of poo poo might reflect badly on them.

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

fuctifino posted:

I posted the Sandi & Chris image to the Star Traders wall.

It was deleted within seconds, and David Ladyman got into PM contact with me.

I blocked him after my last PM to him

It's explained that the images used were plagiarized.

He's responding that Sandi, Chris and Richard all approved them.

/doublefacepalm

Why... Why is there so much stupid everywhere?

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

Sunswipe posted:

Does ANYONE at that company do their job properly? Or is even the cleaner dumping the contents of his hoover under people's desks and walking off thinking "It's not like they'll ever look there"?

He probably wheels their full dumpster over to the neighboring businsess's, and then takes their recently emptied one.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sunswipe posted:

loving really? They're still doing this? What kind of loving mental disorder do you need to have to keep harrassing some old guy who makes videos no one watches because he had a problem with your favorite unfinished videogame? And how the gently caress has someone at CIG not by now said "This needs to stop. You're making us look bad, you're making Star Citizen look bad. Stop bothering old cancer patients"? I know Ben and Sandi have no goddamn clue what they're doing, but even they should be able to figure out that letting your community do this kind of poo poo might reflect badly on them.

they seem to be making enough money just by encouraging this crazy zealotry all their fans have, maybe they just don't care what the rest of the world thinks of them so long as they can keep getting the whales giving them money with every paycheck

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm going by a recent video they released that had developers in LA talking about how much trouble they were having with ship physics and whatnot. They were changing numbers all over the place and the physics would work, then not work, then work again, and they had no idea why any of it was happening. So there is something going on in LA. I can't say what percentage of their work is making it into the code builds, though. With development this open, it's hard to tell anything that's going on.

I can see how your theory goes: LA is responsible for implementing ships into SQ42 and they would take the job of downgrading the ships to meet performance requirements. LA does first pass downgrades and implements the ships into the game, but fails completely. This issue is investigated and it is discovered that the physics engine, written by Germany, is completely inflexible and cannot handle new space ships reliably. CIG therefore cannot refactor the designs and implement them, much less run any sort of balance tests or component upgrades. The fix requires a total engine rework.

That would be a massive problem and would bring Erin over to the US.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

trucutru posted:

Dude the pledge level is named after them

I get that but who is to say it is not Croberts nor Maleficent who is the backer of that 3500?

or a more probable backer of $3500 is BLesnick since he want to immortalize his hero's thumb face

EminusSleepus fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 27, 2016

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pratt2112 posted:

He probably wheels their full dumpster over to the neighboring businsess's, and then takes their recently emptied one.

"Uh, Mr Roberts? My vaccuum cleaner's full and the guy who trained me never explained how to empty it before he ran screaming from the building."
"Uh, that is, you just, well buy a new one. Eeeh, the backers umm will never know. poo poo, I've knocked him out with my flailing arms. BEN! Send another memo warning employees not to stand too close to me."

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/239709734/star-traders/comments?cursor=12872478#comment-12872477

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sperglord posted:

I can see how your theory goes: LA is responsible for implementing ships into SQ42 and they would take the job of downgrading the ships to meet performance requirements. LA does first pass downgrades and implements the ships into the game, but fails completely. This issue is investigated and it is discovered that the physics engine, written by Germany, is completely inflexible and cannot handle new space ships reliably. CIG therefore cannot refactor the designs and implement them, much less run any sort of balance tests or component upgrades. The fix requires a total engine rework.

That would be a massive problem and would bring Erin over to the US.

It would also be awesome, and totally in line with the history of the project. Really, all theories that end in CIG failing are valid, when you get right down to it.

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

Lime Tonics posted:

Also, I learned how to kind of edit gifs thanks to this thread so I fixed one of the ships.

Now it's game ready

LMAO.
No seriously... I literally laughed out loud and applauded that. Too perfect.

Well played.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestonJew posted:

they seem to be making enough money just by encouraging this crazy zealotry all their fans have, maybe they just don't care what the rest of the world thinks of them so long as they can keep getting the whales giving them money with every paycheck

I guess it does support the idea they've given up on attracting new suckers at this point. Wonder if they'll stop doing free fly weekends now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

Sperglord posted:

The fix requires a total engine rework.

Or a completely different engine, and ER is the only one who could begin to approach the subject.

• Locked thread