Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JustAnotherNobody
Jun 20, 2015

Sordas Volantyr posted:

I could've made this better, but honestly, this was a spur of the moment thing.

(yes yes i know this is the original doom's boxart, not doom 2 shut up)

Not complaining in the slightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
And now I'm wondering how a meeting between the Doomguy and Caim would go... one killed death, the other destroyed Hell.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Between them, they'll obliterate Heaven as well!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mokinokaro posted:

Similar to what was mentioned before: there will be a trophy for beating the game twice.
The trophies will be reversed and the game will be earning them for forcing you to ragequit or repeat the same sections over and over again.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sage Grimm posted:

Between them, they'll obliterate Heaven as well!

Caim, Doom Guy, Bayonetta crossover sounds amazing.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Who What Now posted:

Caim, Doom Guy, Bayonetta crossover sounds amazing.

The single weirdest retelling of the Divine Comedy to date.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Aurain posted:

"Otacon... why does this AK-47 have a piece of paper taped to it?"
"What? Snake, read it."
"The rifle belonged to an african warlord in former Rhodesia, it had claimed the
lives of 400 child soldiers and the warlord's wife. The rifle still hung-"
"Snake, that's enough."

And then Taro would pop up on the screen and he'd say "It's never enough :unsmigghh:"
MGS4 had the rather long Beauty and Beast squad stories (after you'd killed them of course)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ewww, don't remind me.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Oh yeah he did kill Death, my bad. The Divine Comedy by Taro wouldn't really have to change much. The setting's pretty much 'watch all these people I didn't like get horribly tortured in ironic ways' until Dante learns to not be so vitriolic during the Purgatorio and Paridiso parts.

Petronel
May 18, 2015

Chokes McGee posted:

Man, the Thirteenth Doctor's stories go to some really dark places. Lovin' the case, though. The Doctor's always more dangerous with a prop! :v:

When I saw Accord's case, I wondered what it would be like if she gave us Pandora to play with (spoilered for those not up to date on AccountingNightmare's DMC4 LP).

Gedankenexperiment: If you could replace any MGS character/entity with any Drakengard character/entity, who would you replace with whom? And what effect would it have? e.g. if you replaced the Mk. II with Mikhail, or Rose with Gabriella? (Some changes might not make a whole lot of difference, e.g. replacing Raikov with Nowe.)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Petronel posted:

When I saw Accord's case, I wondered what it would be like if she gave us Pandora to play with (spoilered for those not up to date on AccountingNightmare's DMC4 LP).

Gedankenexperiment: If you could replace any MGS character/entity with any Drakengard character/entity, who would you replace with whom? And what effect would it have? e.g. if you replaced the Mk. II with Mikhail, or Rose with Gabriella? (Some changes might not make a whole lot of difference, e.g. replacing Raikov with Nowe.)

Solid Snake with Caim. It would make the story a lot more fun if the protagonist would shut up occasionally.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wish you could get Pandora in this game, Pandora should be in every game. (Sorry I'm not spoiling a weapon name in a different game for a different thread, that's sort of silly).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Alavaria posted:

MGS4 had the rather long Beauty and Beast squad stories (after you'd killed them of course)

THE BIRDS ARE PECKING AT MY SOUL! :byodame:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Petronel posted:

Wait, has that started up again?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
It's been finished today.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720448

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

WAAAAAAAAAAHT

Totally took me by surprise.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Your surprise is similar to how I didn't discover the Shenmue 2 thread until a few days ago.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXX: In Which We Find Some Old Author's Notes About an Ill-Conceived Aborted Subplot

The Lost Verses might be some strange detached side stories grafted onto the already existing and completed previous storylines we've already experienced. But that doesn't mean they cannot hold the last couple of arms listings in Accord's weapon shop. The second to last weapon for sale in our narrator's goods collection is unlocked after completing the first Lost Verse and sells for a hefty 73,500 gold.

Feral King's Wildblade posted:

A blade from a far-off, cursed land.
Weapon Size: Large

Ah! You have an eye for quality, sir. This sword comes from
a far-off land. Know you the tale? A young man slew a horrid
beast, and grew so renowned, the king became mad with envy.

The king sent him on an impossible quest, and the young man
fell to the very monsters he was meant to slay. His sister
pleaded for his remains, but all she received was his sword.

The sister became the king's mistress, and she used the
sword to murder him before turning it on herself. And now
the blade is used to exact revenge on... Sir? Are you okay?

What's with that sword in your hand? ...Revenge, you say?
B-but I'm just a weapons merchant! My sword didn't kill
your family! It's just a blade! Just a... No! Stop! Wai--

Look, I'm not going to tell you your job or anything guy. I know Weapon History stories really add to the value of weapons on the free market. But maybe you should have put down your pen around the time a man was attempting to stab you with the very blade you're writing about, eh?

Music: Strumble

All right, next up... we've got this recording from Branch B.

No, not that one—that's Branch C!

And THAT'S Branch A! Come on!

There we go. That's Branch B! Finally...

Okay then! Let's have a look at recording M2410_E0005_FL...

Lost Verse 2: Accord's Song
Music: Wilderblades – Battleground

...but after obtaining a vital piece of info from Cent, we decided to head back into the mountains...

So remember that really pointless mission back in Branch B where all the faeries were killed by the poison fog and there was a My Little Pony reference? Well, that same day Zero and the gang decided to gently caress off for the afternoon back to the Land of Mountains for a bit on Cent's recommendation. So at least they weren't wandering around a poison filled forest for 22 days. Just 21 and a half.

So what piece of vital information did Cent possess important enough to derail the entire pursuit of Three and One a good two week and change into the whole affair?

Cent had a line on some really tasty fruit growing out in the mountains, of course. What? You couldn't eat any of the crap in the Land of Forests. It was covered in poisoned vapors! It ruined the taste. To make no mention of what weird poo poo the faeries, Three, or god forbid Octa might have done with anything growing there beforehand. No, this Cent line on some dank rear end eats out in the snowfields sounds legit.

You better not be wrong about this, Cent.
Me? Wrong? Ha! How absurd. The most spectacularly delicious fruit in the world is juuuuuust ahead!
No fruit is worth trompin' through all this ice and poo poo. If I'd know it would be this cold, I'd have stayed in the forest and tracked down Z's sisters.
<shiver> Well, you can't fight on an empty stomach or... whatever.
Yaaay! Whatever! Whatever is my favorite!
But this better be the best drat fruit I ever tasted.
Don't you worry. It is delicious beyond compare! The fruit is called a mendesian. Heh. Delightful, no? Eaten alone, it has a clean, crisp taste redolent of spring. But you can also make it into a rich jam to spread on bread or meat! And nutritious? Oho myyy heavens, yes! Far more so than your typical fruit, I might add.
Tell me, is it any good for the old trouser snake?
Good? It's nothing short of spectacular!
Oh ho ho! Well, there's a piece of fine news. I can already feel my mem—er, emotions stirring at the thought!

Zero's here... She's invading!
Back me up, I'm going in.
I've got your back!
Oh no, the medics!
Can we really kill an Intoner?
Ohhhh... Such a dreadful sight!

Surviving soldiers from Zero's first exploits through the mountain immediately begin making GBS threads themselves at her unexpected return. At least we can thank them for repairing the bridge and the severely damaged 4th wall in the weeks since our last visit to the region, before slicing them to ribbons just like their predecessors. It's the least we can do to thank for their services rendered.

Our reverse course, from the stone tablet pointing to Mt. Whatever toward wherever the precious fruit Cent is leading us toward, holds a few obstacles down its path. First up, another gray cerberus. I'm fairly certain there's no sign of those beasts by the time Drakengard 1 or 2 roll around. Gotta continue to make sure they're completely wiped out to maintain continuity. That's how prequels work, right?

Hey, you think he tastes any good?
Who can say? I doubt many ever had the chance to sample one.
I ate one once. Not bad. Lots of gristle.
The gristle was the best part!
Nnngh... Lady Zero, your diet is a bewildering thing.

Alright, everyone. Let's stay on point. You can trip over a cerberus these days if we ever want to chow down on one. Okay... well maybe there are only like maybe five left in the entire game, tops. But still. Cent has promised us this wonderful fruit named after a tributary to the Nile river in Egypt in these frozen mountaintop snowfields in Drakengard Scandinavia and dammit, we're gonna find it!

Oh, we're close! Heh. Ever so close.
I'm going to turn it into jam and eat it by the spoonful!
I'm gonna rub it all over my... uh... self!
I can't believe we're actually trusting this idiot...

Show 'em what we mortals are made of!
There she is! Chaaarge!
Raaaaaah! The only way to overcome your fear is to charge forward! Do it!

This fruit must be highly valued if all these unemployed soldiers are willing to throw away their lives to protect its secrets. That or word never made it all the way up here that Four got gutted and tossed overboard from her own airship half a month back. I'm kind of doubting communication lines were high on the Intoner priority list when they weren't out gallivanting about or committing crimes against humanity or running on platforms of ethnic purity in the name of justice.

That treasure chest there!

Oh, well there you have it. That's simple enough. Let's just crack that sucker open and...

...Oh dear.

Ah... Ah ha ha! Yeaaah, I'm thinking I may have been a little off on this... Oh, I just remembered! It's actually in the chest up ahead!

I wonder if Drakengard 3 has the huge arrow pointing directly from the player character in the direction of the next objective in response to idiots who couldn't find the right fishing spot in Nier. Since the giant red omnipresent X on the mini-map was far too vague and mystifying.

Anyway, the next chest Cent double plus swears contains the fabled fruit is only a bit of a ways down the path. I do hope this Egyptian fruit holds up well to freezing.

...Reminder this Branch B is the timeline where Cent takes a huge heel turn and gets most of the party murdered by the end...

Um... Maybe the next mountain over? Orrrr maybe the next nation over?
...Cent?
Yeees?
You're just making this poo poo up, aren't you?
Me? No, no! Never! No! ...No. It's definitely, probably, somewhere on this continent.
That's it! I'm gonna pull your heart out your rear end in a top hat!
Oh, hey! Now I remember! It's right over there!

Get over here, demon, so I can kill you!
Watch what you wish for, fool! Remember, she's an Intoner!
...A dark Intoner bent on destroying the world.
I'll kill you... I swear I'll kill you!
S-She's too drat strong!
We knew that when we took this job.
That's right. We knew we were fighting an Intoner.

Great, alright. Well there are only three chests allowed in a stage. So this had drat well better be the fruit in this last box that's past these idiots, Cent.

Jesus Christ, Cent. There are three possessed sand ogres in the way up here! That's one of the hardest match ups you can have in the entire game, Cent. There had goddamn well better be a payoff to all this, Cent or we're turning you back into a bird and having you as a makeshift meal. I'm not sure if that counts as cannibalism. I don't care!

Well, this is the end of the map if I'm remembering my recycled geography correctly. So you'd best be right on this one.

Next time we see a cerberus, we're gonna feed it Cent.

...we were forced to take shelter on a snowy mountainside.

Music: Aethernox

Welp. Thanks for nothing, Cent. You've got a stranglehold on that biggest gently caress-up of Drakengard 3 championship belt. :argh:

As the situation stands, everyone but Zero has checked out for the evening. But the party is evidently full of people that mumble in their sleep. So we can do a quick pass around the campfire to see what they're dreaming about.

Oh ho ho... Behold my... massive trunk... Zzzzzz... Oh... You haven't... seen anything yet... Zzzzz...

<groan> Can't... take this anymore... Zzz... Mmmm... Stew... So nice and warm... Zzz...

Zzz... Mmmngh... H-Huh? Oh, my! Zzz... Unnngh... Jam... all over... mmm... face...

Zzz... Mrrmm... Yum... my... <smacks lips> Zzz... Mrrmm... Zero... Zero...

That all sounds about right. Speaking with Cent as he sleeps standing up like a Metal Gear Solid guard will bring this campfire scene to a close. So...

How... strange... Zzz...
I'd better get some rest, too...

Sure, you could do that, Zero. But first there's just a small matter to take care of...

Music: Ends

Hey, Accord. Didn't see you there. What with the teleportation and all.

I know I've said it before, but if you don't change course soon, things are not going to end well.

That what your little book says?

Indeed.

<snatch attempt>
Nuh-uh!

<grab fail>
Nope!

<whiff>
Sorry!

Accord giggles at Zero's piss poor performance at the simple task of dunking a nerd's books. This, of course, doesn't sit well with our heroine.

Not that going against some jerk standing in her way has ever stopped Zero from getting what she wants. Even if the person in question has teleportation and full access to the game's script.

If nothing, Zero gets an A for Effort.

Seeing this is clearly not going to let up anytime soon, Accord switches to another method of clowning on Zero's headstrong curiosity.

Alright, Zero. Go play catch. You can jump like ten feet in-game. And several stories if the plot demands it in the Cutscene Zone. Go for broke!

Zero begins her leap for Accord's Drakengard 3 script signed by Taro Yoko aaaaand...

Welp...

Accord, if you could please stop abusing your Zero Shift abilities to fondle the main character's tits, that'd be great. This is a family production LP we're trying to put on.

At the very least stop clowning on Zero. It's bad enough she gets turned into a child or something at the end of this timeline or whatever the hell that ending was about.

...So you're not gonna show it to me?
I've been instructed not to interfere with the world.
Liar!
No, it's true! But... well, nobody said I couldn't give little bits of advice, at least?
What the hell are you, anyway?
We're Recorders.
Recorders?
Right. It's our job to record world events, from the ancient past to the distant future... You know the “Old World” you people are always going on about? Well, I was sent by folks from there.
Listen, I don't know jack about the Old World.

But if you're following me just to make recordings or whatever, you can knock it the gently caress off.
Well, sure, that's all I'm supposed to be doing...

Slams book shut...

But after all these bad endings you keep encountering, I'm really tempted to help.

Accord grabs her oversized suitcase and walks off...

Now, let's try and wrap things up in a way that benefits all of us, hmm?
Like I need you to tell me. I can wrap things up myself!

Nah, I've seen the end of this timeline too, Zero. And you done goofed. But, we'll worry about that another time. Our bizarre second encounter between Zero and Accord ends the second of the three Lost Verses. Tune in next time where we fill in a few more blanks in this story... that may raise more questions than answers. As well as when I complete the Cavia mandated, even after its death, 100% weapon collection for a fourth time for the Internet.

I'm glad Nier 2 has little more than a minute long credits, concept art, and 15 second of CGI trailer and they've already put out in front “Yep, weapon collection poo poo will be back get ready to do that again, motherfucker!” Cuz of course! Of course... Drakengard!

Video: Lost Verse 2 Highlight Reel

Skip to End of Mission Cutscene (You should at least watch this.)

Accord Concept Art

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 30, 2015

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Seriously the best verse in the entire game.

From that first "Oh dear" and on it cemented my love of Cent's idiocy.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 29, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So that answers that question, Accord is a Recorder.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Up until now Accord has been presented as a very dry and detached narrator. I guess having her grope Zero is an effective way to break away from that characterization.

(Drakengard!)

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
edit: he fixed it, ignore these words

Sordas Volantyr fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 30, 2015

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

After what he went through in Five's Prologue I'm surprised Dito didn't have more to say about finding himself in a situtation where he is murdering hundreds of soldiers in order to fail at finding one particular food item.

: Sup, soldier dudes. Some weather we're havin', huh? Sorry to kill you because of my boss's crazy food obsession. Again.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure I know what the design document for this game was. Just one simple word.

"What?"

Everything that happens must be an answer to that question.

Wait, I got it backwards, its like Jeopardy! Everything that happens must be answered with "what?"

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I wonder if Accord is anything like Devola/Popola. I don't think they were called Recorders, but that was basically Popola's job and they were called <something>-ers.

EDIT: Also the 'coming from the "old World"' bit.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Every time I think I have a handle on what's going on, the next update makes me realize I was completely wrong.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
goddamn omnescient timeless teleporting narrators

How is Zero supposed to get her narratorkilling out of her system now?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Don't be a creep, Accord.

(Interesting that she said "We're recorders." rather than "I'm a recorder," come to think of it.)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Well that was stupid and anime.

I agree with the title, chunks of a subplot cut for time is the only way these Verses make sense.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AfroSquirrel posted:

I wonder if Accord is anything like Devola/Popola. I don't think they were called Recorders, but that was basically Popola's job and they were called <something>-ers.

EDIT: Also the 'coming from the "old World"' bit.

Oh.

Oh God no.

This isn't a prequel to Drakengard. it's a sequel to Nier.

That means Nier 2 is actually going to be the Drakengard sequel :ohdear:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Danaru posted:

Every time I think I have a handle on what's going on

I'm pretty sure Accord has a handle on what's going on :heysexy:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Dark Id posted:

Yaaay! Whatever! Whatever is my favorite!

:3: I bet Zero actually feeds Mikhail "Whatever."

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kavak posted:

Well that was stupid and anime.

I agree with the title, chunks of a subplot cut for time is the only way these Verses make sense.
This game in general has been running out of steam since Ending A.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I feel like it's kind of weird that Accord says that all the endings experienced so far have been bad. Didn't branch A accomplish exactly what Zero was hoping for? She killed all of her sisters and Brone killed her. And Brone wasn't actually an Intoner so all Intoners were successfully offed. Especially now that we've learned that Zero's flower won't allow for self-termination, that Brone-murder thing seems like a best-case-scenario until/unless we find out more about the flower or something that turns things on their head.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Dick Burglar posted:

I feel like it's kind of weird that Accord says that all the endings experienced so far have been bad. Didn't branch A accomplish exactly what Zero was hoping for? She killed all of her sisters and Brone killed her. And Brone wasn't actually an Intoner so all Intoners were successfully offed. Especially now that we've learned that Zero's flower won't allow for self-termination, that Brone-murder thing seems like a best-case-scenario until/unless we find out more about the flower or something that turns things on their head.

She might also be talking about Mikhail. Zero's preferred endgame seems to be killing the other Intoners, having Mikhail kill her to finish the job, and Mikhail actually surviving the entire ordeal and getting to live his own life. Branch A is best for the world, but not by Zero's reckoning.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Groping Zero seems like a very bad idea

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Dick Burglar posted:

Branch A leads to Drakengard.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Branch A leads to Drakengard 1.3.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dick Burglar posted:

Ending A basically ends with Bro-One setting up the Cult of the Watchers, which is not going to end well. He may have accomplished Zero's plan of killing all the intoners, (and her), but inadvertently created something that's gonna blow up into a massive poo poo-fest in a century or so, if Accord's looking at the long-game. And if the really garbage manga is to be believed, he's a sorta pseudo-Intoner, so might be susceptible to whatever Zero's murdering the Intoners for.

Also our baby Dragon is dead. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Don't forget Drakengard ends in death for two entire worlds.

Or, if it goes Ending A, it ends in *Nowe*, which is arguably worse.

• Locked thread