Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

My 6S has 50% at the end of my work day.
Mine might be broken or something or maybe it's just my usage, but I'm lucky if I have 20%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Selane posted:

Here's my advice: choose either "small phone" or "big battery" because you can't have both.

Not these days, apparently. Modern life is rubbish.

If screen size contributes to battery drain, then in theory if I have a smaller phone then I might be able to get a good amount of life from a smaller battery?

I don't know how well that will work in reality, but let's prioritize the small phone. Are there any decent ones? I suppose now's the time to mention that I prefer Android.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Look for a phone that has a removable battery and then carry a spare.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Paperhouse posted:

Look for a phone that has a removable battery and then carry a spare.

You won't find really anything with a removable battery anymore. I guess the LG G5, but it got horrible reviews. For better or worse, get a Mophie case or battery pack.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Really? I was just looking at the Samsung Galaxy J phones and they all seem to have a removable battery, I assumed a lot of others still did

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Duckman2008 posted:

You won't find really anything with a removable battery anymore. I guess the LG G5, but it got horrible reviews. For better or worse, get a Mophie case or battery pack.
I just got the G4. Reasons include:

Replaceable battery
SD storage
Glowing reviews
Not interested in spending $600+ on current year phone models

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking about moving off of my Galaxy S5. Please recommend me a phone, thread!

Country/Provider: US, Straight Talk

Current contract status: Month to month on an existing T-Mobile compatible SIM

Budget (phone/plan): $250 absolute maximum (willing to buy used)

Features I know I want: MicroSD card support, 4G LTE on a SIM (any size is fine, if I gotta pay ten bucks for another card that's not a problem), comparable size to an S5 (no huge phablets please, I'm putting this in a cheapo Chinese kickstand case, whatever I get), no less than 2gb RAM (3gb would be aces), 32gb onboard storage, decent front and rear facing cameras. Needs to be rootable without too much difficulty.

Edit: thus far I'm liking the Zenfone 2 Laser.

MJP fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 1, 2016

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Paperhouse posted:

Really? I was just looking at the Samsung Galaxy J phones and they all seem to have a removable battery, I assumed a lot of others still did

Yeah, the J series is the cheapo Samsung phones. I would avoid them. I doubt Samsung will give them Lon term support.

MJP posted:

I'm thinking about moving off of my Galaxy S5. Please recommend me a phone, thread!

Features I know I want: MicroSD card support, 4G LTE on a SIM (any size is fine, if I gotta pay ten bucks for another card that's not a problem), comparable size to an S5 (no huge phablets please, I'm putting this in a cheapo Chinese kickstand case, whatever I get), no less than 2gb RAM (3gb would be aces), 32gb onboard storage, decent front and rear facing cameras. Needs to be rootable without too much difficulty.

No SD Card, but I think the Nexus 5x matches what you want otherwise.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

snackcakes posted:

Not these days, apparently. Modern life is rubbish.

If screen size contributes to battery drain, then in theory if I have a smaller phone then I might be able to get a good amount of life from a smaller battery?

I don't know how well that will work in reality, but let's prioritize the small phone. Are there any decent ones? I suppose now's the time to mention that I prefer Android.

Bigger phone = more space for battery. Depending on use, big display + big battery can get better life than small display + small battery. In any case, there are no good actually small Android phones. Something like the Galaxy S7 or Nexus 5X are about the smallest you can go and still have a pretty good phone. Anything smaller is junk bottom of the barrel budget line stuff. If you go iPhone, you can get the SE.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
So I've been on the TMob goon plan for a while but I'm getting bored topping up the measly 100 minutes talk when I inevitably go over (why does the US count incoming calls as my talk time? And voicemail?).

I see TMob is doing a $40/unlimited talk/ unlimited txt/3GB LTE) which I'm thinking to switch from my $30/100minutes/unlimited txt/5GB LTE.

Looks like the Goon Plan has been discontinued? What's the catch with the $40? Is the Goon Plan something I want to hold on to for reasons?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

MJP posted:

new moto g ticks all the boxes

T_ReV
Jun 2, 2013

Mr Funkface posted:

So I've been on the TMob goon plan for a while but I'm getting bored topping up the measly 100 minutes talk when I inevitably go over (why does the US count incoming calls as my talk time? And voicemail?).

I see TMob is doing a $40/unlimited talk/ unlimited txt/3GB LTE) which I'm thinking to switch from my $30/100minutes/unlimited txt/5GB LTE.

Looks like the Goon Plan has been discontinued? What's the catch with the $40? Is the Goon Plan something I want to hold on to for reasons?

I am also in a similar situation of wanting to switch plans. I think the catch is if you use more than 3GB of data month. In my experience tmobiles throttling is extremely harsh and makes even using google maps extremely slow to unusable.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So my wife and I are considering a new plan / phone.

We both have iPhones and you can pry her's from her cold dead hands; I couldnt care less. My phone has a shattered screen and battery issues, so I'm debating between repairing it and replacing it.
We're on AT&T now, on a family plan with 15gb/mo, but since she stopped working to stay home with the kids we use less than 5gb/mo.

What's our list of options look like? Both phones are paid off.

Looking at:
- Staying with AT&T, repairing my phone, and haggling them down.
- Alternate providers (straighttalk?) that we can just move our phones too and save some cash
- Google Fi; but I think that's a losing battle given the iphone thing.

Anything I'm missing?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Walked posted:

So my wife and I are considering a new plan / phone.

We both have iPhones and you can pry her's from her cold dead hands; I couldnt care less. My phone has a shattered screen and battery issues, so I'm debating between repairing it and replacing it.
We're on AT&T now, on a family plan with 15gb/mo, but since she stopped working to stay home with the kids we use less than 5gb/mo.

What's our list of options look like? Both phones are paid off.

Looking at:
- Staying with AT&T, repairing my phone, and haggling them down.
- Alternate providers (straighttalk?) that we can just move our phones too and save some cash
- Google Fi; but I think that's a losing battle given the iphone thing.

Anything I'm missing?

If the phone isn't unlocked, you're stuck with ATT or Cricket - ask ATT to unlock the phone first and you can switch to T-Mobile or other providers

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

If the phone isn't unlocked, you're stuck with ATT or Cricket - ask ATT to unlock the phone first and you can switch to T-Mobile or other providers

They're fully paid for, so I believe we can request the unlock. Thanks for mentioning it though, totally slipped my mind that we'd need to do so.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Walked posted:

They're fully paid for, so I believe we can request the unlock. Thanks for mentioning it though, totally slipped my mind that we'd need to do so.

Yeah, just check coverage wise if switching to another carrier, mileage always just varies based off of where you are.

Cricket would be a good option though. Only downside is you have to buy phones outright. Buy a cheap android or iPhone SE for you, let her either keep or phone or buy a new iPhone (new iPhones in Septemberish FYI). Same coverage as ATT.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

T_ReV posted:

I am also in a similar situation of wanting to switch plans. I think the catch is if you use more than 3GB of data month. In my experience tmobiles throttling is extremely harsh and makes even using google maps extremely slow to unusable.

You can always use Here and download the maps to save on bandwidth.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

RVProfootballer posted:

Bigger phone = more space for battery. Depending on use, big display + big battery can get better life than small display + small battery. In any case, there are no good actually small Android phones. Something like the Galaxy S7 or Nexus 5X are about the smallest you can go and still have a pretty good phone. Anything smaller is junk bottom of the barrel budget line stuff. If you go iPhone, you can get the SE.

Thanks everybody. I think the S7 is probably the way to go then. It's not that much bigger than my current phone.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I haven't been keeping up on phones and I need to get someone on Cricket a new phone. Had a Nexus 5, was satisfied with it other than lovely speakerphone until something cooked it. I would say the only things that really matter are having a good speakerphone experience, decent camera quality for phone/computer viewing, a hopefully decent support life, and then just not costing a ton.

So far I'm looking at the Moto X (for the hands free and gestures), perhaps one of the Moto Gs (I'm not sure which one has the most features), and the Nexus 5X. I'm kinda leaning toward the X since I love my 2014 one so much.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Moto X is a year old and Moto as a whole has really kinda gone to poo poo since Lenovo bought them. Just get the Nexus and be happy. Buy from Fi for $120 off ($150 off plus $30 for a month of service).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Looking at some videos it seems like the 5X has an absolutely garbage speaker, which would take it out of the running.

loving insane that 2 years later you apparently can't get a phone that has actually better quality of life than the one I already have, given that the 6P is too big to fit in normal sized pockets. I really don't want to play the used phone lotto for a third party, but apparently nothing new is even close to worth buying.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

K8.0 posted:

Looking at some videos it seems like the 5X has an absolutely garbage speaker, which would take it out of the running.

Mine is fine around the house, but garbage whenever I try to use it in the car.

Though I have one of these and, despite being cheap, sounds good when using for calls.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-SoundCore-Bluetooth-Dual-Driver-Distortion/dp/B016XTADG2/ref=sr_1_1

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have an original AT&T unlimited plan on a 2-year contract, ready to upgrade. When I log in to AT&T, I see an option to add DirecTV and lock in that rate for 24 months instead of 12 if I switch over to their "new" unlimited plan. This sounds good to me, as it looks like my historic usage is between 3-6 Gb of data/mo. I'd like to switch over to the Next plan that allows me to upgrade phones every year, though all things being equal, I'd rather do it through Apple as I trust them to gently caress me over less. Needless to say, I'm a little apprehensive. This all sounds like a win/win. Am I missing something that's going to screw me down the line?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

I have an original AT&T unlimited plan on a 2-year contract, ready to upgrade. When I log in to AT&T, I see an option to add DirecTV and lock in that rate for 24 months instead of 12 if I switch over to their "new" unlimited plan. This sounds good to me, as it looks like my historic usage is between 3-6 Gb of data/mo. I'd like to switch over to the Next plan that allows me to upgrade phones every year, though all things being equal, I'd rather do it through Apple as I trust them to gently caress me over less. Needless to say, I'm a little apprehensive. This all sounds like a win/win. Am I missing something that's going to screw me down the line?

The downside, if you look at it this way, is that you'll be under contract for DirecTV for 24 months. DirecTV, while being the best user experience in a television provider, does not come cheaply. It's worth it to AT&T to get you into that high-margin contract for two years.

As for the wireless portion of the agreement, it's what it says on the tin. Hopefully Duckman or someone equally knowledgable about plan specifics can elaborate if you're wondering exactly how Next works though it seems to me to just be your typical rolling subsidy plan.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
About time to upgrade my Verizon phone. I used to have a Samsung Galaxy S3, I currently have an LG G3. I love the G3 for being a simple android experience and how thin the phone feels thanks to no edge buttons. I also really like the sleek back, it's a beautiful phone in my opinion. But I am illegible for an upgrade and this phone is showing some wear. . .

Looking at the G5, I am not sure I like the idea of the LG modules, especially how it removes the battery to change the modules. I also really dislike the idea of not having an app drawer. I have considered going back to Samsung with the S7, but all I seem to remember about the Galaxy S3 was a ton of lovely Samsung bloatware. . . I simply refuse to buy any apps from the Samsung store and don't care for s-not and other Samsung shovel ware. I feel like if I did get a Samsung, I would have to spend at least an hour disabling poo poo on the phone before I could feel happy and then hope that each update does not load up more poo poo. Do I need to just bite the bullet and buy an iPhone? Hell no, I refuse to drink the iCool-aid

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

buy a nexus

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You should probably buy an iPhone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kobayashi posted:

Well, I don't work at ATT anymore, so I'm not going to have an exact answer on this one. Last I checked ATT doesn't offer discounted phones on two year contracts anymore, so I would read the fine print. Honestly unless your plan is changing, or you really need DTV, I would just stay on your plan.

Either way, you should be able to keep your current unlimited plan and get s phone on an installment plan via either ATT or Apple. Both allow you to trade in the phone yearly to upgrade, and Apple's may be cheaper to do that than ATT.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Crotch Fruit posted:

I am illegible for an upgrade

I lol'd.

Anyway you should either buy a Nexus or an iPhone and you can't use your subsidy to get the Nexus so...

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Since I'm in Europe, contract deals are not on the table. From what I've been reading, it seems Nexus 5X is pretty much my only plausible option. Looking for a preferably below $300/300€ phone, though something in the 250 mark would be preferred.

- WP ecosystem is horrible (Got a Lumia 630 which has barely been enough for my minimum needs)
- Most Android manufacturers are lagging behind in Android security updates and Android is a horrible mess in this regard. I follow some IT Security related podcasts/news and the rate of new vulnerabilities being discovered is horrifying. (Huawei according to some reports is decent in updating their phones though?) - Moto G is invalidated due to their recent statements about security updates.
- iPhone 5S (16 gb) is the cheapest iPhone alternative I can buy in Finland, and 16 gb is woefully inadequate as far as I know.

How is the headphone output loudness in the Nexus 5X in comparison to the 5? I have a 5 to compare to and my high impedance sound isolating IEMs are driven just about loudly enough at maximum volume (stock android with no tweaking done), so I might have to consider getting a portable amplifier, as far as I know. I mostly listen to podcasts while traveling/doing housework.

I don't do anything terribly demanding on my phone, but playing stuff on a SNES/GBA emulator occasionally for some trips would be nice.
How's Huawei's mid/budget phones and reputation and do they have anything comparable to the Nexus 5X?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Dessel posted:

Since I'm in Europe, contract deals are not on the table. From what I've been reading, it seems Nexus 5X is pretty much my only plausible option. Looking for a preferably below $300/300€ phone, though something in the 250 mark would be preferred.

- WP ecosystem is horrible (Got a Lumia 630 which has barely been enough for my minimum needs)
- Most Android manufacturers are lagging behind in Android security updates and Android is a horrible mess in this regard. I follow some IT Security related podcasts/news and the rate of new vulnerabilities being discovered is horrifying. (Huawei according to some reports is decent in updating their phones though?) - Moto G is invalidated due to their recent statements about security updates.
- iPhone 5S (16 gb) is the cheapest iPhone alternative I can buy in Finland, and 16 gb is woefully inadequate as far as I know.

How is the headphone output loudness in the Nexus 5X in comparison to the 5? I have a 5 to compare to and my high impedance sound isolating IEMs are driven just about loudly enough at maximum volume (stock android with no tweaking done), so I might have to consider getting a portable amplifier, as far as I know. I mostly listen to podcasts while traveling/doing housework.

I don't do anything terribly demanding on my phone, but playing stuff on a SNES/GBA emulator occasionally for some trips would be nice.
How's Huawei's mid/budget phones and reputation and do they have anything comparable to the Nexus 5X?

Nexus 5X in Euroland are a bit pricey still, and we don't get the Google Fi that makes them super cheap to get. Google is still trying to sell the 16GB version at 419€ at the Play Store in Europe, because lol google. If you want the 32GB cheaper and around your budget your best bet is probably amazon uk which after conversion you can usually buy one around 250-270€, but shipping may not agree with you. Probably look around some Finnish retailers if they have around the 300€ price tag.(I live in Portugal and the cheapest from trusted retailers are 319€, so maybe Finns are more friendly with pricing)

As for Huawei, comparable to the Nexus 5X would be the Honor 7, in terms of specs and price. You can only find it online, the main shop in Europe is vmall eu. It sells at 299€, but vmall has monthly promotions where you get flat discounts or free stuff(they currently have a 20€ discount voucher). I have friends that have the Honor 7, and they do get updates regularly, not Nexus regularly, but often enough that you don't feel like the phone was forgotten. The problem with it is that like a lot of these Chinese manufactures, the software they glue into Android is flat out bad. For every cool thing you find with EMUI, you find dumb poo poo like not being able to light the notification LED when you receive SMS or Whatsapp, a bug that has been around for almost 8 months now, and gets fixed only to get broken in the next update.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Electronico6 posted:

Nexus 5X in Euroland are a bit pricey still, and we don't get the Google Fi that makes them super cheap to get.

Pretty cheap in the UK, though. I bought one for £129 a couple weeks ago.

I think it's outstanding at that price.

Toddy
Apr 25, 2007
Needing to upgrade from a nexus 4. Budget is around £250-£300 and need something that will last me a while.
Was looking at nexus 5x, LG G4 and Honor 7.
What Im after is a decent enough camera and at least 32GB storage. I was leaning towards nexus 5x, however the expandable storage of the other models are perhaps a better option. Also although im used to stock android I dont think I would mind other Ui's.
Just looking for an opinion on these options.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I have T-Mobile and currently pay 100/mo for (as far as I can tell) honest to god unlimited data on two lines.

However I am getting fed the gently caress up with Tmo's spotty lovely coverage in my area and would like to find another provider IF I can find a comparable plan for the same or not much more money.

Since July 23rd I've used just over 2GB of data and my fiance has somehow used 7.3 gigs. I do a lot of driving and I'm constantly streaming either Pandora or podcasts, and in my downtime I'm browsing Facebook, forums, and playing games. I have no idea what she does to use so much data tbh.

I'm stuck with T-Mobile, aren't I? :( Seriously, if I drive 15 minutes to the next town over I lose all service. Not just data, but ALL service which IMO is unacceptable in 2016.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Previa_fun posted:

I have T-Mobile and currently pay 100/mo for (as far as I can tell) honest to god unlimited data on two lines.

However I am getting fed the gently caress up with Tmo's spotty lovely coverage in my area and would like to find another provider IF I can find a comparable plan for the same or not much more money.

Since July 23rd I've used just over 2GB of data and my fiance has somehow used 7.3 gigs. I do a lot of driving and I'm constantly streaming either Pandora or podcasts, and in my downtime I'm browsing Facebook, forums, and playing games. I have no idea what she does to use so much data tbh.

I'm stuck with T-Mobile, aren't I? :( Seriously, if I drive 15 minutes to the next town over I lose all service. Not just data, but ALL service which IMO is unacceptable in 2016.

Closet plan on postpaid is like $130 for 16GB on Verizon, or something around that on ATT

Maybe look at cricket? ATT coverage but cheaper.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Closet plan on postpaid is like $130 for 16GB on Verizon, or something around that on ATT

Maybe look at cricket? ATT coverage but cheaper.

I forgot about Cricket, it looks like their unlimited plan might be our best bet.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Electronico6 posted:

(... about Nexus 5X euro price & Huawei)

Yeah, Nexus 5X is actually available at something close to 280€-300€ in Finland, which seems pretty good relatively speaking. I doubt the prices will drop that much once the next Nexus is announced either, everything kind of lags here price/news-wise. More likely 5X will just run out of stock before the next model comes out.

Also it seems Huawei isn't that good on security updates on its Honor line either, so I'm most likely getting the Nexus 5X very soon.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
My Samsung S3 on Verizon finally gave up the ghost, so I need a new phone. I bought that phone used off of Amazon last time around and was plenty satisfied with it.

I'm tempted to buy another refurb S3 and call it a day, but should I go for an S4 or S5 or something else like that? I'm not looking for the newest and greatest, I don't play any games on the phone, and only stream media from time to time. I'm looking to buy something for $150.00 max.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tylertfb posted:

My Samsung S3 on Verizon finally gave up the ghost, so I need a new phone. I bought that phone used off of Amazon last time around and was plenty satisfied with it.

I'm tempted to buy another refurb S3 and call it a day, but should I go for an S4 or S5 or something else like that? I'm not looking for the newest and greatest, I don't play any games on the phone, and only stream media from time to time. I'm looking to buy something for $150.00 max.

At least get a S5. That was a good phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Endless Mike posted:

The Moto X is a year old and Moto as a whole has really kinda gone to poo poo since Lenovo bought them. Just get the Nexus and be happy. Buy from Fi for $120 off ($150 off plus $30 for a month of service).

Oooh, hang a moment. Do you actually have to pay for the month of service or can you just cancel immediately after activating?