Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

rscott posted:

Uber took a bunch of VC and paid a Google executive to commit industrial espionage

I suspect it's either that or Uber knew Otto was built entirely on stolen tech and told their due diligence team to suppress sending any documents that would expose that fact.

Either way they are turbo-hosed. Good riddance.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

axeil posted:

And new updates roll in. Now Uber/that guy are claiming they can't disclose anything related to the acquisition on grounds of self-incrimination in criminal proceedings.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/ubers-levandowski-really-doesnt-want-to-talk-about-any-waymo-documents

What the gently caress did they do? :stare:

my_crimes.txt

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

This one made BBC tech news.

Garadget faces backlash after locking out irate user
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39502256

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Pro-tip: dont buy anything that has an app. Apps are made by programmers and programmers are terrible.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

9-Volt Assault posted:

Pro-tip: dont buy anything that has an app. Apps are made by programmers and programmers are terrible.

Don't buy anything. Things are made by people and people are terrible.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Tardigrade posted:

This one made BBC tech news.

Garadget faces backlash after locking out irate user
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39502256

quote:

The block has been reversed and founder Denis Grisak agreed his first reaction was not the "slickest PR move".
But he noted that Tesla's Elon Musk had once cancelled a customer's order after criticising the automaker online.

Which makes it perfectly alright.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

axeil posted:

And new updates roll in. Now Uber/that guy are claiming they can't disclose anything related to the acquisition on grounds of self-incrimination in criminal proceedings.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/ubers-levandowski-really-doesnt-want-to-talk-about-any-waymo-documents

What the gently caress did they do? :stare:

Dude almost def committed corporate espionage but please don't imply claiming the fifth means the person is guilty. It's become a really common fallacious assertion in the last decade which is noticeably eroding one of the basic protections of our legal system. The evidence appears damning enough on its own.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

pr0zac posted:

Dude almost def committed corporate espionage but please don't imply claiming the fifth means the person is guilty. It's become a really common fallacious assertion in the last decade which is noticeably eroding one of the basic protections of our legal system. The evidence appears damning enough on its own.

The actions taken thus far has been civil, and as such invoking the fifth meant that the case has now possibly escalated into the realm of criminal, which is what I believe axeil was trying to emphasize.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

outlier posted:

Which makes it perfectly alright.

Such thin-skinned babies.

Unsatisfied customers are an inevitability in the consumer products world and they're treating them like trolls on a message board where they have admin privileges.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

pr0zac posted:

There's a difference between pleading the fifth on the witness stand and pleading the fifth during the procedure of discovery, though.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

exploded mummy posted:

The actions taken thus far has been civil, and as such invoking the fifth meant that the case has now possibly escalated into the realm of criminal, which is what I believe axeil was trying to emphasize.

hey, invoking the fifth is not rude, uncivil, or uncouth. to suggest it's criminal is laughable

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

call to action posted:

There's a difference between pleading the fifth on the witness stand and pleading the fifth during the procedure of discovery, though.

What's the significance of that difference?

Is it like asking for a lawyer as soon as the cops show up, instead of talking with them a bit first?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

exploded mummy posted:

This is correct.

Claiming the 5th in a civil case is very unorthodox as far as I'm aware as it implies you/your attorneys believe there is criminal wrong-doing you need to be shielded from but IANAL so if an actual lawyer has better insight I defer to them.

At the very least, it implies there could be a criminal investigation which I don't think anyone really saw coming.

Subjunctive posted:

What's the significance of that difference?

Is it like asking for a lawyer as soon as the cops show up, instead of talking with them a bit first?

Again, IANAL but to my knowledge you can't refuse to hand over documents as evidence. You can't be compelled to verbally testify against yourself but if you wrote a document that said "it's me I did it" or had other physical pieces of evidence you can be compelled to turn those over.

axeil fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 5, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Is there a criminal investigation right now?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Claiming the fifth in a civil case like this, where if the allegations are true, there is criminal implications is pretty normal.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

http://www.twitter.com/samfbiddle/status/849656224882855936

e: I cannot get the embed to work. FML.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

call to action posted:

If you believe that, then you have no defense against turning over your encryption keys.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maybe as https?

https://www.twitter.com/samfbiddle/status/849656224882855936

E: nope!

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

https://twitter.com/samfbiddle/status/849656224882855936

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

quote:

this Kissinger (lol) quote painted on the floor of Uber’s office in SF has got to be one of the most accidentally hilarious things I’ve seen

efb

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

How did you type that in, for future reference?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

"The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer." - Uber

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Today in "Uber is hosed":

Uber unable to produce subpoenaed documents related to the Waymo/Google case. Judge smacks them down and says they're cruisin' for a preliminary injunction.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/judge-orders-uber-to-search-servers-work-harder-to-find-waymos-14000-files/

Ars posted:

Judge orders Uber to search servers, work harder to find Waymo’s 14,000 files

"In 42 years, I've never seen a record this strong. You are up against it."

SAN FRANCISCO—The federal judge overseeing the trade secret litigation between Google's Waymo division and Uber said today that he's likely to slap Uber with an injunction unless the company does more to produce the 14,000 documents allegedly stolen by its self-driving car chief, Anthony Levandowski.

"The court gave its order, a very clear order, as to what was supposed to be produced by March 31," said Google lawyer David Perlson at the beginning of an hour-long hearing in federal court. "They have not complied with the order, in numerous respects."

Perlson said no one from Uber came to look at the 14,000 documents that were allegedly stolen, even though Google made them available. "They haven't obtained anything from Mr. Levandowski personally."

"We’ve repeatedly asked them for a return of these 14k documents, and they basically ignored us," said Perlson. "A lot of that is due to the fact that Mr. Levandowski is not cooperating, on some baseless 5th Amendment privilege ground."

"We will demonstrate that those 14,000 files never made it to Uber," responded Uber lawyer Arturo Gonzalez. "Let me tell you what we've done to comply."

Gonzalez said that his law firm, together with forensic consultants, interviewed 85 people at Uber who used to work at Google, including 42 who worked in Google's automotive division. They also randomly searched computers and looked at the engineers' Git director but couldn't find any of the files.

"We searched 12 terabytes of data in two weeks," said Gonzalez. "That's the equivalent of 8.3 billion pages of text. So any suggestion that we’re not looking is extremely unfair."

"We found 3,100 hits," he continued. "But you know what? They're not substantive. Most of these 14,000 documents are not trade secrets at all."

That argument didn't find favor with US District Judge William Alsup,
who is overseeing the case. Whether the files are trade secrets or not, they were "important enough."

"Well, why did he take [them] then?" demanded Alsup. "He downloaded 14,000 files, he wiped clean the computer, and he took [them] with him. That's the record." He continued:

He’s not denying it. You're not denying it. No one on your side is denying he has the 14,000 files. Maybe you will. But if it's going to be denied, how can he take the 5th Amendment? This is an extraordinary case. In 42 years, I've never seen a record this strong. You are up against it. And you are looking at a preliminary injunction, even if what you tell me is true.

"We’re digging and we’re digging," said Gonzalez. "I firmly believe the reason we’re not finding this information is because it didn’t make it to Uber. The only thing the record shows so far is that 14,000 files may or may not have been taken. They have to show that we are using them."

"No, no, no," responded Alsup. "They made a showing that your lead person has 14,000 of their files. That could lead to a preliminary injunction that Mr. Levandowski cannot work on this project."

The hearing ended with Uber agreeing to a search of all relevant servers, using 15 search terms of Google's choice—and agreeing to Alsup's instruction that they search everyone at their company that has anything to do with LiDAR.

"Is that too hard?" Alsup asked rhetorically. "In a case this big? Where your company might get a prelim injunction?"

"I don’t know how long it will take," said Gonzalez. "But I agree. It's an enormous number of servers."

The parties will reconvene tomorrow for another hearing, which will focus on Levandowski's recent argument that the Fifth Amendment should protect him from speaking about the 14,000 missing files. Levandowski, who is not a defendant in the case, has separate counsel who was present at the hearing today but didn't speak.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

axeil posted:

Today in "Uber is hosed":

Uber unable to produce subpoenaed documents related to the Waymo/Google case. Judge smacks them down and says they're cruisin' for a preliminary injunction.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/judge-orders-uber-to-search-servers-work-harder-to-find-waymos-14000-files/

... wow. Also, if an ex-Googler wasn't able to set up an adequate internal search system on code, something you'd need for day-to-day work, he was pretty darn dumb. 12 terabytes of data is petty change.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Does wiping the files and hoping people don't find out become a good option at this point?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

call to action posted:

Does wiping the files and hoping people don't find out become a good option at this point?

*cough*backups*cough*

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I always wonder that about "discovery", if people ever (say) just rig and heavily document a search that looks legit but won't actually find the things they most want to hide and the lawyers tacitly agree to put their neck out there on that. Though even then there is no version of a legit-looking search that can't find copies of known documents unless they were deleted or actually kept off any drive they're searching.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Alsup is so good. Uber must have shat themselves when they drew him as judge.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

pangstrom posted:

I always wonder that about "discovery", if people ever (say) just rig and heavily document a search that looks legit but won't actually find the things they most want to hide and the lawyers tacitly agree to put their neck out there on that. Though even then there is no version of a legit-looking search that can't find copies of known documents unless they were deleted or actually kept off any drive they're searching.
Is there a software equivalent of a forensic accountant? IIRC in the Google/Oracle case, the Oracle side used Google Gmail document drafts to show that a senior engineer was considering legal aspects of their Java reimplementation.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

call to action posted:

I figured the more likely scenario was that they're stored on an external flash drive that is never connected to the overall Uber system.

That or Uber has some crazy system that masks files related to lawsuits. I mean it sounds nutty but then again they had a routine in their app that prevented cops from finding them operating in jurisdictions where they're not allowed.

pre-emptive puppy so i don't get probated again:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is there a software equivalent of a forensic accountant? IIRC in the Google/Oracle case, the Oracle side used Google Gmail document drafts to show that a senior engineer was considering legal aspects of their Java reimplementation.
There are, but basically I don't know how any of that stuff works legally or in practice. I'm wondering about it in the pure sense, basically.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

axeil posted:

I figured the more likely scenario was that they're stored on an external flash drive that is never connected to the overall Uber system.
Yeah that's what I was thinking, except then you've got a problem getting relevant information to your engineers etc., or outright telling them "hey these documents can't be on the system for uh reasons" which would be a bad idea even in the context of a man who apparently has a lot of bad ideas. Maybe he condensed crucial stuff in some summary documents, or maybe he just poured over them himself to give his folks "helpful design tips" or "avenues to explore"?

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 6, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

pangstrom posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, except then you've got a problem getting relevant information to your engineers etc., or outright telling them "hey these documents can't be on the system for uh reasons". Maybe he condensed crucial stuff in some summary documents or something.
You'd expect somebody to slip and copy something over, just because people are careless. "I need this on my local share because other reasons."

If Uber lose this one, their self-driving division is probably toast, but how much of a dent would it make on Uber proper? Would the punitive damages be big enough to make a dent?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You'd expect somebody to slip and copy something over, just because people are careless. "I need this on my local share because other reasons."

If Uber lose this one, their self-driving division is probably toast, but how much of a dent would it make on Uber proper? Would the punitive damages be big enough to make a dent?

I'm no expert, but Uber's future seems to be dependent on the success of its self-driving cars, and I can't imagine investors will be too happy about their losing the case and having to start all over. If investors lose confidence and start pulling out, they're toast.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

aware of dog posted:

I'm no expert, but Uber's future seems to be dependent on the success of its self-driving cars

this is totally a hail mary to keep the investors on the hook. even if uber could deploy a self driving car in time to save their business (they can't) it would be such a radical shift in their business model they'd collapse anyway

uber depends on enticing their not-employees to commit their time and capital in the form of a vehicle. uber doesn't own the cars. then suddenly they're going to own and maintain fleets of brand new robot cars? they absolutely do not have the infrastructure for this, which would be fabulously expensive... or if not, they're going to expect people to rent out their brand new robot cars? like the uber of the future is a world where i allow a corporation to take control of my shiny new privately owned vehicle for a few bucks and hour and return it to me at the end of the day, where i'm still responsible for fuel, maintenance, and cleaning the vehicle that i'm not even inside anymore to make sure teens aren't jerking each other off in my back seat? yeah sure

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 6, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't Uber's/Otto's tech the only real competitor to Google/Waymo?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

pangstrom posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, except then you've got a problem getting relevant information to your engineers etc., or outright telling them "hey these documents can't be on the system for uh reasons" which would be a bad idea even in the context of a man who apparently has a lot of bad ideas. Maybe he condensed crucial stuff in some summary documents, or maybe he just poured over them himself to give his folks "helpful design tips" or "avenues to explore"?

Yeah I figured he either summarized the documents, re-created them in a way that wouldn't trip searches for the same documents or somehow put the stuff on an air-gapped server that Uber isn't aware of. Of course this assumes that Uber is telling the truth that they searched and didn't find them. I find it much more likely they "searched" or have some sort of masking program for all their shady/unethical documents to prevent discovery.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Uber's business model straight up fails if they lack self-driving tech in the next 5 years. They're only getting 40% of the revenue needed to cover the cost of each ride with a human driver and are bleeding money. There's no chance of another round of venture capital funding given all the problems they have and an IPO would be a disaster. On top of that they're already having issues retaining drivers because the pay is so horrible. if they need to jack up rates they're going to hemorrhage customers and go into a death spiral.

It'd be like if Netflix lost money on every DVD they mailed you and were legally barred from making an online streaming service. It's potentially a death sentence.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

boner confessor posted:

this is totally a hail mary to keep the investors on the hook. even if uber could deploy a self driving car in time to save their business (they can't) it would be such a radical shift in their business model they'd collapse anyway

Oh no question. They're also looking past that to flying cars too :v: it's entirely investor story time.

call to action posted:

No? There's like at least a dozen companies working on self driving cars atm

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

call to action posted:

no, tesla and the other actual for real car makers are making quiet progress and will probably be the first to market with a fully automated vehicle

it's odd to me that people think software developers will be the bigger innovators in the car industry than car manufacturers themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm pretty sure Google found out about this whole thing through someone doing database forensics and discovering that Levandowski has downloaded 14,000 onto external media in a suspect way, just before leaving the company.