Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I bought that Yoji Shinkawa PR poster (the one that's in Metal Gear style) a while back and it finally got here today. Looks pretty awesome and it's definitely going up on my wall next to the IMAX Pacific Rim poster that I got from opening night. Now I just need to gather up all of the Godzilla 2014 posters :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Junkie Disease posted:

Well that and Toro has been on Its always sunny and I'm sure he had a blast with the cast. Hes been pitching a spinoff.

The Stars are Always Right in Ry'leh? :haw:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

The Stars are Always Right in Ry'leh? :haw:

I'd watch it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

McSpanky posted:

Good news, fans of Nazi cockbots!

http://www.avclub.com/article/pacific-rim-2-could-still-happen-202480

The long and short: movie's grossed $411 million in box office (about 75% of that international) and it's doing way better merch and home video than expected, so Legendary's CEO is pretty open to a sequel. Basically the only missing component is Guillermo himself with an idea to start developing into PacRim2, since he's a bit busy with another movie due out next year. Thomas Tull sounds like a pretty decent guy, too.

Update on this, in case anyone hasn't seen yet:

quote:

However, while speaking to BuzzFeed this weekend at the Austin Television Festival del Toro said that he, along with The Incredible Hulk screenwriter Zak Penn, have been writing a follow up to the monster epic.

del Toro told Buzzfeed, “I don’t have the money, but I’m proceeding like it is happening” and went on to clarify that the movie would not be a prequel as some had speculated. He explained, “Some people were wondering if we were going to do the prequel. I was never interested in doing that first wave of invasion. I’m going for very new, very crazy ideas on the second one, which are very different from the first one — but you will get really great spectacle.”
I hope there's even more fascism this time! Can never get enough fascism, man, I tell you.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Fascism was never the problem. Pacific Rim needed to be like... ten, twelve times as anime.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Fascism was never the problem. Pacific Rim needed to be like... ten, twelve times as anime.

How many fascisms go into every anime unit?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
This thread got me incredibly excited to see this movie. I think SomethingAwful hyped the movie for me far more than any marketing did. It was a fun movie that really channeled the manchild goony nerd in me. Saw it in theaters, saw it on Blu-Ray (actually enjoyed it more because I could freeze frame and rewind to catch all the little bits I missed before 0.5 seconds of footage of Romeo Blue, Karloff, etc.

Anyway, since then, I've been daydreaming of how they might do a sequel in the most over the top and rediculously derivative manner possible. Do we need to still bother with spoilers at this point?
(just in case)

Okay, so my idea is to have Marshall Herc Hansen in charge now. Initially the PPDC is now restructured to focus on rebuilding efforts. Being a former Ranger, Hansen convinces the various governments to take some of the destroyed Jaegers from Oblivion Bay and maintain a 'skeleton crew' of Jaegers just in case the Kaiju ever come back. Nearly two decades of war with the Kaiju makes the pacific rim countries war-weary, and the PPDC has to cast a wider net for both resources and pilots.

Raleigh and Mako are working on a prototype Pons system that would allow a pair of pilots to interlink with other pilots. Much like how the Kaiju operate telepathically, this technology is designed to allow Jaegers to operate as a team to coordinate their efforts. Its believed if the Kaiju ome back, they will be even stronger than ever, so the strategy is to cooridnate multiple Jaegers against each Kaiju. This is complicated by peacetime rebuilding efforts more focused on restoring various cities/infrastructure previously destroyed.

Hannibal finds a Precursor 'foreman' that had traveled through the portal with Slattern unbenownst to the PPDC. He captures the alien and reverse engineers the technology to communicate with the Precursors. It turns out that Operation Pitfall only destroyed one of their staging areas. Sensing a genuine threat the Precursors have launched an all-out war and are prepared to open up portals all over Earth. Hannibal (somehow) seeks to profit from all this and tries to blackmail the aliens by bluffing and telling them the Earthlings have developed coutnermeasures against the Kaiju and portals and without his help the Precursors will never be able to conquer the planet. Its not revealed at the time but it turns out the Foreman Hannibal captured is some important individual in the Precursor heirarchy and they go along with his gambit in an effort to get their lost 'prince' back. Hannibal also sends his goons to kidnap Gottleib and Geizler.

The precursors deploy multiple breaches specifically targeting PPDC facilities. PPDC's rag-tag team of Rangers, coordinated by Raleigh and Mako in the brand new "Legacy:Pentecost" and lead by Herc Hansen organize a new corps of Rangers and Jaegers:
Cherno Omega: Rebuilt from the remains of Cherno Alpha, and piloted by the twin daughters of Sasha and Alexsis (obviously)
Thunder Child: England's Jaeger built from salvaged battleship parts. Pip pip!
Matador Fury: Mexico's Jaeger project had been previously scrapped; an imprisoned cartel member and his goddaughter(played by Danny Trejo and Michelle Rodriguez)fight for freedom :mexico:
A Scandanavian and Indian Jaeger I haven't thought of elaborate backstories for. The Indian Jaeger has six arms and the main pilot is an old lady with no legs. :colbert:

Hannibal forces the two scientists to help him develop hybrid Jaegers of his own. They eventually turn on him of course. Hannibal and the captured precursor Foreman pilot an immense Kaiju/Jaeger hybrid which requires all of the PPDC to take down.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

:stare:

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Are we posting fanfiction in the thread now?

Polkergeist
Sep 2, 2011
Who cares, that was so :black101:

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

To reiterate: It's not a rocket punch if the fist doesn't fly off, punch the kaiju from afar, and then fly back.

Zero stars. Hopefully Del Toro fixes this grave indecency for the sequel.

e: Oh, my last essay I wrote for my degree was all about Pacific Rim. I mostly wanted to see how many pictures of that giant Mazinger Z statue in spain I could get included into academic writing. I think it's my third time.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Hbomberguy posted:

e: Oh, my last essay I wrote for my degree was all about Pacific Rim. I mostly wanted to see how many pictures of that giant Mazinger Z statue in spain I could get included into academic writing. I think it's my third time.

You're doing God's work, friend.

E: bonus points for said rocket punch being used to knock the kaiju into some larger (perhaps "super") combination attack.

Arrowsmith fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 9, 2014

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Sorry, guess I got a little carried away with my idea :ohdear: I guess I was just thinking about ways they could make a sequel work, based on Herc Hansen is now Marshall, Hannibal Chau is still alive, we have no idea if the aliens are willing to take another crack at Earth (for all we know we merely kicked in their interdimensional 'doggy door' to our planet). Then there's the Jaegers and Kaiju themselves. In the 'making of' reels, Del Toro mentions how they had all these robot and monster designs, but for the sake of budget had to 'narrow down' the ones they would actually use. They had come up with a ton of initial designs, and making a sequel could mean pulling some of the unused designs out of a bin and retcon them as 'brand new' Jaegers.

The subject matter also would've been great fodder for those 'movie motion' rides like at Universal Studios/Disneyland (Star Tours, Back to the Future, Days of Thunder, etc) but I guess since its not really a well-known IP people would get confused. Too bad, it would've been pretty fun to have a ride where you are strapped standing up to a similar 'rig' as the Conn Pods, while you and your buddy flail your arms around like retards (along with 50 other goony goons on the ride) acting like you are fighting a Kaiju. ROCKET PUNCH!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Pacific Rim is one of my favorite films but I have no desire for a sequel. I mean, who the heck can replace Chuck Hansen?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Okay okay okay. So here's my idea for a sequel. Gipsy Danger is turned into a hip and happening pizza joint, the last pizza joint in the future, that is under risk for being shut down by the evil Hannibal so he can open up his Kaiju Juice shops. The only way to raise enough money to save Gipsy Danger is to have a dance off, with other Jaegers around the world, like in Step Up 3D. Until the Kaiju Cheer Squad "bring it on." then poo poo gets real.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Flocks of antifa birds* descend on the Jaeger pilots and peck at them relentlessly.

*descendants of the dinosaurs. -ed.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 10, 2014

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

There is nothing in this world that ever needs to be more anime than 0 anime.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

*ancestors of the dinosaurs. -ed

Um, actually...

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Um, actually...

**correction: bats are not bugs. -ed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Milky Moor posted:

Pacific Rim is one of my favorite films but I have no desire for a sequel. I mean, who the heck can replace Chuck Hansen?
Frank Reynolds.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

CelticPredator posted:

Frank Reynolds.

Okay, I'm in.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.
I would watch the gently caress out of a pacific rim sequel with a UK Jaeger (Royal Robot Force?) named Thunderchild.

It would naturally have to defend the Southern English Coast from a triple Kaiju attack; killing them all but dying in the attempt.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

zVxTeflon posted:

There is nothing in this world that ever needs to be more anime than 0 anime.

It's the fault of people like you that PR's protagonist was a lovely Call of Duty character!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

**correction: bats are not bugs. -ed.

You've made a powerful enemy this day

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 10, 2014

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I finally got around to watching this. I thought it was a lot of fun. Nothing spectacular, but I enjoyed Charlie Day in it a lot, and the monsters/robots fights were cool looking.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

It's the fault of people like you that PR's protagonist was a lovely Call of Duty character!

Not wanting one flavor of turd isn't an endorsement of another flavor of turd.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Joe_Richter posted:

I would watch the gently caress out of a pacific rim sequel with a UK Jaeger (Royal Robot Force?) named Thunderchild.

It would naturally have to defend the Southern English Coast from a triple Kaiju attack; killing them all but dying in the attempt.

Pacific Rim 2
music by Jeff Wayne

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

zVxTeflon posted:

Not wanting one flavor of turd isn't an endorsement of another flavor of turd.

Too late, Pacific Rim 2 is now Wolfenstein

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Joe_Richter posted:

It's final contribution being to rugby tackle the remaining Kaiju poised to threaten a flotilla of refugees, blowing its boilers Fusion Reactor in the process.

:britain: Stiff upper lip, gents :britain:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Hbomberguy posted:

Too late, Pacific Rim 2 is now Wolfenstein

Hm, that's a good start, but could we add more fascism?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Chronojam posted:

Introducing the first post-rift Mark-6 Jaeger, MAGNUM PINOCHET

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

That's the first four-armed jaeger, isn't it?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Chronojam posted:

That's the first four-armed jaeger, isn't it?

Post PR, the defense force will turn to international corporations for financial sponsorship, so the first four armed jaegar will actually be the Audi Quattro.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Six limbs / Two Pilots = Danger Zone

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Frank Reynolds.

Piloting Mantis Toboggan

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Chronojam posted:

We learn that all of the Kaiju were cloned from Hitler. Somehow.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

You're a goddamn genius.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
My favorite parts of this thread were SMG's posts. I thought they were interesting and thought provoking.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Introducing the first post-rift Mark-6 Jaeger, MAGNUM PINOCHET

Pinochet is not a fascist, he's one of the flag bearers of 20th century neoliberalism along side Reagan, thatcher and deng. Get it right please

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SHISHKABOB posted:

My favorite parts of this thread were SMG's posts. I thought they were interesting and thought provoking.
They jumped the shark after the 30th page dedicated to discussing that aspect though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Nah not really.

Well maybe, but tbh that was because of some other particularly dumb posters.

• Locked thread