Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Impermanent posted:

Mayday games' Click Clack Woodsman kickstarter is now 3 months behind schedule for shipping. The last communication we got from Seth Hiatt is that shipping would "begin next week" two weeks ago, and zilch since. Meanwhile, Mayday games is filling up my inbox with lovely cyber monday deals.

Yeah I've been bitching about it on the kickstarter page. It's ridiculous that a whole company can't update ever, but they have someone manning the emails to respond to people one by one? Just copy and paste that email into an update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

It's a pastiche of a genre mash-up best exemplified by a 15 year old Owen Wilson/Jackie Chan action-comedy illustrated with photoshop filters over stolen art. This from a guy who's crowning achievement was a game with mechanics that were literally "IDK flip some coins or something systems are hard" that basically filed the serial numbers off of a Neil Gaiman BBC series from the 90's for a setting. So make your own judgements.

Hey, you never know. It could be the next Secret Hitler.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

This game is going to be completely underwhelming when it comes out, isn't it?

It's literally a classless d20 game with Fate's aspects bolted on.

e: Think about that. It's taken him four and a half years to write a d20 based game.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Kai Tave posted:

You know, say whatever you want about Secret Hitler, if nothing else I bet you a dollar it actually delivers the promised product without any district attorneys needing to get involved.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

You know, say whatever you want about Secret Hitler, if nothing else I bet you a dollar it actually delivers the promised product without any district attorneys needing to get involved.

Oh, for sure. That's why I said it could be the next Secret Hitler, because there's no loving way Far West is actually coming out first.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It's 1am here, so... if I'm in the same time zone...

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
In a very surprising and welcome antidote to the Far West debacle, I had an update from Kickstarter omnishambles Nova Cry the other day informing me that despite the guy apparently losing all his money due to being defrauded he has raised another round of capital and I will be getting my game.

I'll believe it when I see it, but if someone can recover from their business failing due to fraud and still honour kickstarter pledges from about 4 years ago, that's setting a high bar for other people.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kai Tave posted:

It's certainly secret.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
So, after 1,5 year slip-up, Will Hindmarch's Project: Dark finally reached its release date!

Except, you know, the stretch goal extra settings won't be separate booklets with new rules and poo poo, just a bunch of adventures and poo poo. To be done eventually.

Also the release day saw him bitching all day on twitter about water heater repairmen and not releasing the game.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
4 years seems to be the turnaround time for Will Hindmarch Kickstarters. That's about how long Always/Never/Now took.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Echophonic posted:

4 years seems to be the turnaround time for Will Hindmarch Kickstarters. That's about how long Always/Never/Now took.

By a strange coincidence, Always Never/Now is the realistic and projected schedule for Far West.

Cloak Gaming
May 27, 2014

Our official stuff

CloakGaming.com

Discounts for Goons

Our SAMart thread
The Kickstarter for Budding Heroes officially launched!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cloakgaming/budding-heroes-streamlined-rpg-and-skirmish-board

To copy the initial blurb, Budding Heroes is a hybrid between rules-lite systems and the more daunting traditional games. It embraces map-based tactical combat, and it has a new set of streamlined rules that makes combat a breeze. Combat is balanced with accurate predictions on battle length and difficulty, characters can change their combat proficiencies at any time outside of battle, there's no to-hit roll, every character regenerates health based on how they act during battle, and the entire game can be played with only a single set of standard RPG dice!

You can get a free sample of the system at http://www.buddingheroes.com/pdf/guidebook.pdf and the FAQ at http://buddingheroes.com/faq/ has tons of information. Enjoy!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lichtenstein posted:

So, after 1,5 year slip-up, Will Hindmarch's Project: Dark finally reached its release date!

Except, you know, the stretch goal extra settings won't be separate booklets with new rules and poo poo, just a bunch of adventures and poo poo. To be done eventually.

Also the release day saw him bitching all day on twitter about water heater repairmen and not releasing the game.

So wait, is Project: Dark out or not? I'd practically forgotten it even exists.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/224590870/runequest-classic-edition/description

Don't think I've seen this posted yet, but there's a KS going on for a reprint of the classic Runequest 2nd Edition book.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Kai Tave posted:

Chapter 7 is out for backers.

I'm not even joking.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Kai Tave posted:

The PDF was supposed to be out yesterday, but he only posted one chapter so far.

No timeline whatsoever for the print version yet; he's primarily blaming art delays for that.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So I only found about the Banner Saga Warbands Kickstarter and I was excited until I realise it was by Megacon. Myth was awful and reading through the PDF rulebook they have for Warbands if looks just as poorly written as Myth.

Has anyone actually backed this with confidence?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ijyt posted:

So I only found about the Banner Saga Warbands Kickstarter and I was excited until I realise it was by Megacon. Myth was awful and reading through the PDF rulebook they have for Warbands if looks just as poorly written as Myth.

Has anyone actually backed this with confidence?

I loving love banner saga (the pc/ios game) and I didn't back it for precisely those reasons. I mean it seems like the basic gameplay could have ported almost directly to a physical board game, but definitely something I would rather wait until retail to see if a) it ever comes out b) if the ruleset is playable c) if the miniatures are poo poo.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

Me too. I wonder if this will go all Far West.

I'm not even that keen on this one anymore. Blades in the Dark seems more interesting and lives in the same space.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'm still super hyped about cards-as-resource in Project: Dark and wish hindmarch would just release the goddamn ruleset instead of doing whatever the gently caress. Honestly it's that mechanic even more than the concept of playing Thief: The Tabletop Roleplaying Game, that I'm interested in. He could have released a barebones PDF to backers literally years ago instead of blaming all of his woes on printers and I could have actually played this thing.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Am I supposed to back the Arcadia Quest KS? I assume you could always make your money back or more from just the exclusives.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Just got the shipping notification for Fall of Magic - estimated Oct 2015, so not bad at all.

Really looking forward to this.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

Chapter 7 is out for backers.

I'm not even joking.

The comments section really has a lot of people absolutely pulling their hair out at will, which is nice.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of comments, GMS is pulling his "I don't have customers" song and dance in the Far West comments again.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of comments, GMS is pulling his "I don't have customers" song and dance in the Far West comments again.

Well, it's true on at least one level.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kiranamos posted:

Am I supposed to back the Arcadia Quest KS? I assume you could always make your money back or more from just the exclusives.

I missed the first kickstarter so I won't be buying the product because it is about making teams of cool heroes and 90% of the heroes are exclusive only so NOPE.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
The Banner Saga was beautiful but the story made no sense, and more unforgivably, the combat in that game was so painfully un-fun I couldn't bring myself to finish the game. When I think Banner Saga, I think of the worst implementation of a turn based strategy game possible.

Joining forces with the makers of Myth and Mercs only exacerbates that. Basically nothing except the art is compelling. I would not trust any game design that either their studio or MERCs attempts, and certainly not for a kickstarter. If it turns out to be good, theres no reason to take the risk now, but the risk of it being a steaming pile is just too great.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LordAba posted:

I missed the first kickstarter so I won't be buying the product because it is about making teams of cool heroes and 90% of the heroes are exclusive only so NOPE.
While that is annoying, only the minis are exclusive, so you could proxy the characters if you have other models.
They give all the character cards for free on the site to print out:
http://arcadiaquest.com/en/promo-heroes

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

While that is annoying, only the minis are exclusive, so you could proxy the characters if you have other models.
They give all the character cards for free on the site to print out:
http://arcadiaquest.com/en/promo-heroes

Yeah, a set of them just sold on BGG for $350. That's kinda stupid.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cloak Gaming posted:

The Kickstarter for Budding Heroes officially launched!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cloakgaming/budding-heroes-streamlined-rpg-and-skirmish-board

To copy the initial blurb, Budding Heroes is a hybrid between rules-lite systems and the more daunting traditional games. It embraces map-based tactical combat, and it has a new set of streamlined rules that makes combat a breeze. Combat is balanced with accurate predictions on battle length and difficulty, characters can change their combat proficiencies at any time outside of battle, there's no to-hit roll, every character regenerates health based on how they act during battle, and the entire game can be played with only a single set of standard RPG dice!

You can get a free sample of the system at http://www.buddingheroes.com/pdf/guidebook.pdf and the FAQ at http://buddingheroes.com/faq/ has tons of information. Enjoy!

Hey guys, so after posting in this thread a long time ago and receiving quite a lot of criticism, including from me, Cloak Gaming got in touch with me over PMs and I've done a couple rounds of feedback. Budding Heroes is not for everyone, including me, and I don't know how well it'll do generally; but I can say with confidence that this goon is a responsive person with a thick skin who is willing to listen to honest feedback and make changes based on it. Being even-tempered is a good attribute to have when you're trying to wrestle your way into the overcroweded small-press RPG marketplace.

The kickstarter is worth a look. I can't vouch any further than what I've said above, caveat emptor etc; but it's worth a click.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Evil Mastermind posted:

I was listening to a Radiolab last night about surrogacy in Israel (well, it's more complicated than that, but anyway) and the agencies all disclaim that no live baby is guaranteed, "you're paying for the process, not a baby."

I thought of Far West, now in it's 12th trimester.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Here are two more Kickstarters.

Fifty Fantastic Functions for the D50: This thread's favorite company Goodman Games and Lou Zocchi are making a book of goofy charts (including visual and drop charts) for yet another silly die, the d50. They have a limited tier where for $30, you get the book and a die before Christmas. If you're into weird dice it seems like a good deal. I'm curious to see how this thing rolls myself. They should have demonstrated that in the video. No announced stretch goals on this one, it's just low-key and quick. Also, you can only get the d50 in white.

Calidar Beyond the Skies: Bruce Heard is putting together an expansion book for his system neutral setting inspired by his work on Mystara/Known World and the Dragon magazine Princess Ark stories. It has the same fun fantasy kitchen sink high weirdness feel of Mystara and like the Princess Ark tales, focused on the adventures of a skyship crew. This particular book is focused on religion and gods. Looks like the $60 Captain tier is the best bet, you get a hard copy of the Beyond the Skies book and PDFs of companion books of adventures and short fiction. You can add extra money for copies of the original Calidar in Strange Skies book. The only announced stretch goal so far is for additional art per pantheon described.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 3, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Here's a kickstarter. It's for a sort of card draft-based RPG.

quote:

Tales of Arcana™ is designed for one-time, single-session campaigns where players randomly generate their character from cards. I found that once I graduated college, despite my willingness as the game master or the willingness of other players, things always came up – overtime, babies, illness, etc. Talking with other gamers I've heard similar frustrations, where a month goes by between sessions or gamers impulse buy expensive reference books they've never been able to use. Tales of Arcana™ is designed to be set up in a matter of minutes, and it’s quick to pick up the basics. Of course, if desired, players can use the same character multiple times or use Tales of Arcana™ for a prolonged, multisession campaign

Huh, that sounds kinda neat, I've always wanted a decent card-based

quote:

There already are dozens of awesome systems out there, but they derive primarily from Gary Gygax's original game
...dozens? Don't you mean "hundreds"?

quote:

Managing numbers, referencing books and measuring unit movement are great for the people that use those systems. These elements have become synonymous with the act of roleplaying for gamers and non-gamers alike (which can sometimes be a bad thing). For those of us that use roleplaying for socializing and imagination, we know how awesome a tool it can be, but the intricacies of the other systems can turn off potential new players. Tales of Arcana™ is meant to be a casual, less rule-intensive roleplaying game that has enough structure and randomness to give players the tools to socialize and utilize their imaginations.
Uh...

quote:

There are thousands of card combinations that can be used to recreate traditional RPG classes, or to create wacky and unique characters where you can determine their backstory and lore. You'll never play the same character twice (unless you want to). And any race can be any class.
Whaaaaaa?! Any race can be any class?! Holy poo poo mind blown!

quote:

I've played fantasy games for years and there's no way a Paladin would use Shadow magic.
Well, that's not a question, but I know where you're coming from. Many video games borrow from the Tolkien/Gygax tradition, but that has led to a lot of repetition when it comes to the implementation of fantasy races, classes and magic in those games. I love tropes, but I do think subverting or challenging them is more fun from time to time. And when it comes to imagination, the only real limiting factor is one's own lack of imagination. I think the cool thing to do is to create a backstory that explains why a Paladin would use Shadow magic, or why a Bard doesn't carry a Lute.
"There's no way a paladin would use shadow magic" said the person who's only ever played D&D.

Oh well thank god he clarified I'm not going to kill myself via dehydration by casting this!

This is from a guy who worked on D&D for Wizards.

Yeah.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I am gonna get a twitch behind one eye from reading "I have no idea what 'market research' is" kickstarter copy, I swear.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I guess there's probably a market for people who think "I think the cool thing to do is to create a backstory that explains why a Paladin would use Shadow magic, or why a Bard doesn't carry a Lute." is super daring but also intriguing, maybe these storygamers are on to something after all (but don't tell anyone in my group I said that).

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Tales of Arcana™ is meant to be a casual, less rule-intensive roleplaying game that has enough structure and randomness to give players the tools to socialize and utilize their imaginations.

I read the blurb for a ton of trad games Kickstarters - and there's a few very clear signals that you should stop reading. For RPG material (often a new universal RPG system), it's pretty much exactly the above: "Our system isn't about numbers or rules, it's about THE STORY IN YOUR IMAGINATION". Now obviously it's not bad to have a RPG that's story focused, but presenting that as your key differentiator suggests that you haven't tried many systems, and that what you're actually going to produce is going to be a small, misguided tweak to a bad game from 15 years ago. The other bad-RPG-KS trope is "this system can handle ANY scenario, from a traditional fantasy dungeon crawl to a BALLS OUT SCIENCE with ALIEN STEAMPUNKS! Western?".

For board games, the most common alert signal is some equivalent of "minutes to learn, years to master!" or "absolutely no randomness to ruin your brain-measurement strategic multiplayer game". These are - pretty much without exception - people who've made a fairly abstract game that basically functions as a game, and they tried it with their friends who agreed it basically worked as a game, so they're done. The flip-side trope is equally terrible - these don't have a specific text blurb but they have the common design plan of "what are all the things that could happen in this setting?"/"let's write each of those things on a card along with how it affects your HP" games. You see some variation of "Bear Attacks! Discard a Bear Repellent or Lose 2 HP", and you can usually safely move on. The other obvious one to run away from with board games is any variation on "did you ever wish you didn't have to ______ in Magic: the Gathering?".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The best part is that the core system is "to do something, play a relevant card from your hand and roll a d6; on a 1=fail/2-3=minor success/4-5=solid success/6=crit", but that means that you have a 1 in 6 chance of failing at a task.

You also don't get cards back into your hand until you play all the cards in your hand.

unseenlibrarian posted:

I am gonna get a twitch behind one eye from reading "I have no idea what 'market research' is" kickstarter copy, I swear.
Again, this guy worked on eithe r3e or 4e. He knows that stuff like "any race can be any class" hasn't been a new concept for decades.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Fantasy heart breakers never change.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Evil Mastermind posted:

Again, this guy worked on eithe r3e or 4e. He knows that stuff like "any race can be any class" hasn't been a new concept for decades.

Are you sure? He seems to have been mostly a creative writer on Magic. Maybe he did a little bit of similar writing for D&D and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

Are you sure? He seems to have been mostly a creative writer on Magic. Maybe he did a little bit of similar writing for D&D and that's it.
He does say he worked on D&D. Not how much he worked on D&D, but regardless you'd think he'd have a rough idea of how it worked.

To me, the best part is that like a week ago Evil Hat released this instant-one-shot deck of cards, which is kind of the same setup as Realms except that a) it's got focused design instead of just a bunch of abilities and items that "sound cool", and b) has a system that isn't loving stupid.

• Locked thread