Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Requiem: Avenging Angel is free on GOG for a bit. It's a weird one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Crumble steam key from Fanatical

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/crumble

Physics platformer, looks alright.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1061180/Crumble

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

GyverMac posted:

For some reason my brain read "funky" as "kinky" and i was both intriuged and confused

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
This week's Epic free game: 911 Operator

Also one of the DLC's is free too.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Not available in Australia, so no freebie this week for us.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

JammyB posted:

This week's Epic free game: 911 Operator

Also one of the DLC's is free too.

I recommend this game pretty highly. some of the calls are based on real life events and some are legit chilling. the game's fun too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gromit posted:

Not available in Australia, so no freebie this week for us.

Yeah it's 000 Operator there

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I do the job irl and it was kinda funny to try. Seems like a decent game but saw the "all lives matter" dlc and uninstalled

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

acumen posted:

the "all lives matter" dlc

:dogstare:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

chairface posted:

I recommend this game pretty highly. some of the calls are based on real life events and some are legit chilling. the game's fun too.

See, when I played it a year or so back, most of the calls I got were based on memes. Including the five year old calling for help with math homework. I'm sure it's true to reality, but it was stark how many of the calls were line-for-line repeats of famous tumblr posts.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

acumen posted:

I do the job irl and it was kinda funny to try. Seems like a decent game but saw the "all lives matter" dlc and uninstalled

lmao gently caress off. maybe it's respectful but man calling it "Every Life Matters" and putting in a protest against the cops seems real loving sketchy.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 15, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
:catstare:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

acumen posted:

Wolfenstein: Both Sides Mode

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
reminder that egs pays these guys if its claimed, so thanks for posting that before i claimed it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i thought we found out from the apple lawsuit that the developers are paid a lump sum up front, not per copy redeemed

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Well I'm not risking it so thanks for the heads-up.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

repiv posted:

i thought we found out from the apple lawsuit that the developers are paid a lump sum up front, not per copy redeemed

i did not find that out from the lawsuit because i did not pay attention to the lawsuit or anything that came from it. my b if i was wrong

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It is a lump sum. Still not worth supporting the devs, attention is as much of a currency as money.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Was it made in Unity? because I could repeatedly install it come Jan 1st to cost them money.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

Was it made in Unity? because I could repeatedly install it come Jan 1st to cost them money.

That unity fee is lifetime, I believe. If you are hate installing, you can do it now

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Flair posted:

That unity fee is lifetime, I believe. If you are hate installing, you can do it now

It's per install starting Jan 1, but the 200,000 installs per year threshold would count installs made this year.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Dr. Stab posted:

It's per install starting Jan 1, but the 200,000 installs per year threshold would count installs made this year.

I decided to look at their website to check what I may have misread: https://unity.com/pricing-updates

The revenue threshold is on a yearly basis, while the install threshold is lifetime. Nevertheless, the fee is only for new install starting January 1st.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
for 1 to 1000

msiexec /i /quiet 911_Operator.msi

sleep 1000

msiexec /x /quiet 911_Operator.msi

endfor

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You can get the whole experience from let's game it out doing the sequel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1kENrcLKkQ

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Flair posted:

I decided to look at their website to check what I may have misread: https://unity.com/pricing-updates

The revenue threshold is on a yearly basis, while the install threshold is lifetime. Nevertheless, the fee is only for new install starting January 1st.

The whole thing seems either not thought through or designed to punish free to play games. Why can't they just do a portion of revenue since they already need you to report revenue anyways? It's not like they have any variable costs per install to recoup.

Unreal charges 5% on revenue past 1 million lifetime. No weird pricing incentives, no donut holes, just "the more money you make, the more money we make."

In any case, I doubt this game will hit the $200k/year threshold for 2024, unless epic paid them that much for the deal.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Dr. Stab posted:

The whole thing seems either not thought through or designed to punish free to play games. Why can't they just do a portion of revenue since they already need you to report revenue anyways? It's not like they have any variable costs per install to recoup.

Unreal charges 5% on revenue past 1 million lifetime. No weird pricing incentives, no donut holes, just "the more money you make, the more money we make."

In any case, I doubt this game will hit the $200k/year threshold for 2024, unless epic paid them that much for the deal.

The more that's come out about this and the general state of Unity, the more it sounds like this was a blatant attempt to force everyone onto their personal ad service and the only point of the fees is to be a big, scary cudgel. So yes, the people making decisions didn't think about all the games that would be affected that don't have ad-based hooks for them to slot into, but I doubt that they wanted to make money specifically from revenue fees with this.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
After looking at it more, it doesn't seem as bad. It's after the first 200k per year, and non monetized games are not subject to fees. Still dumb.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wolfenstein: Yeah but they had some good ideas too, you know

E: beaten

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

After looking at it more, it doesn't seem as bad. It's after the first 200k per year, and non monetized games are not subject to fees. Still dumb.

And if your game has a demo each of those counts as additional install for the base game. And if you have your demo as webgl then every page load counts as one install. And if I install the game on desktop and a laptop that's 2 installs.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

200k per year is... not very many. If your game costs 20 bucks i.e. is relatively cheap, that's only 10000 sales. This is going to affect a lot of companies.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Getting déjà vu from 4 days ago in the industry thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4023270

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Lol, looked at 911 operator, the epic version doesn't even work, you can't unload the medical vans on that version.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 17, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
To be fair, they didn't expect anyone to play it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Out of Line and The Forest Quartet are up on Epic

Model Builder and Soulstice next

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Night Of The Rabbit is free over at GOG to mark their fifteenth anniversary of being a website on the internet.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

The Kins posted:

The Night Of The Rabbit is free over at GOG to mark their fifteenth anniversary of being a website on the internet.

It's an okay adventure game. I think that I got it in a bundle and forgot about it until a couple of years ago.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Free Man Of Medan if you're in Europe, will only cost your immortal soul.

https://beta.bandainamcoent.eu/en/cb/man-of-medan-for-free

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Spectacle fighter Soulstice is free on Epic right now, which is cool, because I'd been eyeing that one something fierce

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/soulstice

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
Model Builder I'd the other free game on EGS: https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/model-builder-f9b456

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

quick finish all the free games you've claimed before epic runs out of money :supaburn: