Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I usually kind of like Salam's act on Real Time but he totally ruined that show. I really wanted to hear what Cuban had to say because Rich Sensible Republican is some sort of rare endangered species and he has a lot to say on the SuperPac stuff but he was stuck trying to work around the shrieking moron.

Bill should have told him to calm down in the first minute, it's the host's job to handle that stuff. I've said it before in this thread and I'll say it again now, watching this show is supposed to be fun. I don't want to be screamed at for an hour, I can watch Sean Hannity for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Overtime was much better than the show this week.

az
Dec 2, 2005

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I usually kind of like Salam's act on Real Time but he totally ruined that show. I really wanted to hear what Cuban had to say because Rich Sensible Republican is some sort of rare endangered species and he has a lot to say on the SuperPac stuff but he was stuck trying to work around the shrieking moron.

Is Kuban a republican? He always struck me as a democrat.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

az posted:

Is Kuban a republican? He always struck me as a democrat.

Mark Cuban plays the middle. He has donated to Orrin Hatch and admires Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Frot Lesnar posted:

Mark Cuban plays the middle. He has donated to Orrin Hatch and admires Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead.

And he generally comes out as a republican who can at least think and understand points instead of just being a parrot for the standard party line talking points.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Frot Lesnar posted:

The Fountainhead.

Oh my God.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

az posted:

Oh my God.

Yeah, I wish I could unsee that post. Cubes :smith:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
tbh, you could sorta read "The Fountainhead" and just get from it "hey there is this weird but sorta gifted loner rapist guy who violently resists selling out and eats poo poo and is broke for a long time and then finally gets his due" without reading into all the political garbage buried in it. That's really more how the movie version read it as well if I remember right.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Romney's advisor stooge bombed out especially bad in OT, though even on the show proper he was just terrible, even if not in the ultra-loud derailing way many others are.

Agreed that OT had more pep to it than the normal broadcast---which is weird really.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Everyone talking about global warming pissed me off too. Bill was hilariously bad at arguing his point. His main response was "No you're wrong!" without going into much of the science of WHY they were wrong. I wanted him to talk about the methane in Siberia, or the shrinking Artic ice. Or how we have a small chance of turning our planet in to loving Venus. He barely had any facts that you could get just browsing this here internet forum.

I didn't even like his speech at the end even though i agree with everything he said in it, he went like super Bill and raged for 5 minutes. The comparison to Hannity fits there for sure.

Overtime was ok though.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
It would have been better if they just had Aasif Mandvi acting in character as Romney's mouthpiece.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The Romney mouthpiece was worthless but I think the show is a lot better when there are two Republicans in the mix.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I guess no one was aware of this, but Todd Akin is on the House Committee for Science, Space and Technology. I'm sure he's joined by other like-minded members, but it's disturbing to think about. I would have loved to see Bill's reaction to this fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_Committee_on_Science,_Space_and_Technology

That being said, being on a committee has other implications for politicians. It's not necessarily about whether you're even interested in science or space or technology. It's just politics.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
I'm not sure if Bill is lazy or stupid, but he just seems really underprepared for a discussion most of the time. When the other side is spouting bullshit (and predictable bullshit at that), he should have facts and numbers ready to refute them.

His rebuttals often boil down to 'no, you!'.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Dudebro posted:

I guess no one was aware of this, but Todd Akin is on the House Committee for Science, Space and Technology.

Wait.......so I haven't seen the episode yet, but are you telling me the panel discussed Todd Akin and Bill DIDN'T bring up this fact? What in the gently caress? He seriously is loving asleep at the wheel right now. This was such obvious red meat for panel discussion especially from Bill.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Yeah, I'm really not sure which issues Maher has teeth on. I think the subjects of false equivalencies of democrats being used by republicans (and other contemporary republican talking points), separation of church and state, sexuality politics, and marijuana legalization can provoke a strong response from him, but I can't think of too many others he won't leave to the guests.
He needs a good economist who isn't also a frightened turtle to come on the show with some of these republican blowhards because he is just letting them control so much of those discussions on no merit.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

You would think he would have known that fact though. I mean poo poo the day the Akin stuff broke that was one of the first of several facts that caught my attention. Knowing that Maher loved pointing out that stupid Bush EPA guy who was like "whelp we don't know how long we'll be on the planet for so use it or lose it" I am kind of shocked this Akin science committee business didn't come up at all.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I liked D.L. Hughley's book title "I Want You to Shut the gently caress Up: How the Audacity of Dopes Is Ruining America." I read the excerpts at amazon.com and came across this (which was also touched on in the show about Romney/Ryan humorously earning a 0% with black voters):

Hughley: "What shocks me is when people think we’re a post-­racial society. Obama’s election was fueled by his race. The opposition to him is fueled by race—­and the deference to him by his own people is also fueled by race."

Which I agree with. Is that sentiment at all at odds with Touré's "post-blackness" book or are "post-racial" and "post-black" two completely different things?

PS Every other paragraph ends with a "Shut the gently caress up!"

ApexAftermath posted:

You would think he would have known that fact though. I mean poo poo the day the Akin stuff broke that was one of the first of several facts that caught my attention. Knowing that Maher loved pointing out that stupid Bush EPA guy who was like "whelp we don't know how long we'll be on the planet for so use it or lose it" I am kind of shocked this Akin science committee business didn't come up at all.

The last vestige of respect I had for holding most politicians to some minimum standard of competence was shattered after Michael Moore went around asking all those "ten commandment defenders/hawks" to name a few commandments and they bristled back " :lol: don't put me on the spot you jerk!"

So many of these guys are intellectually bankrupt actors that I can't even muster much care about this Akin fellow. Maybe Bill has arrived at this same sentiment.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3MSi3uf8GA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Is the clip if anyone wanted to watch it. Holy poo poo at how dumb he makes them look, it's better than the Palin when asked about the newspapers she reads "all of them response."

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

Holy poo poo at Bill burning this guy so bad.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Next week he's going to have Christine O'Donnell, David Simon and Steve Schmidt. That should be a hell of a show.

perplexed
Jun 30, 2005
i don't get it
Tonight's show...god drat. :stare:

Chair Guy
Feb 26, 2006
yoers
Bill was in a bad mood tonight and it was so great.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

perplexed posted:

Seriously, Bill was obviously pissed at something and just didn't take any poo poo from anyone. Dinesh D'Souza got his loving rear end handed to him, and I think Maher actually called him a rat at some point.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

perplexed posted:

The fact of the matter is...

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dinesh D'Souza and Ron Christie give me a headache.

Also, in that Ron Paul segment he said the "peace candidate always wins?" What happened to McGovern in 1972?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I have no idea who that first guest was but I enjoyed the poo poo out of it.

What in the everliving gently caress was he thinking when he agreed to be on the show? He picked a bad night.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Godinster posted:

I have no idea who that first guest was but I enjoyed the poo poo out of it.

What in the everliving gently caress was he thinking when he agreed to be on the show? He picked a bad night.

Bad for him, great for the audience.

Really enjoyed angry Bill tonight.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm glad Jason Alexander isn't right wing. I don't want George tainted by association. Big Stein would have been upset.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Cacator posted:

That guy drove me nuts. It's a terrible phrase and he used it to start almost every sentence.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

doctor thodt posted:

Next week he's going to have Christine O'Donnell, David Simon and Steve Schmidt. That should be a hell of a show.

Only 25 minutes into this week's show, but I already want to punch the Bush administration guy.

Also, I look forward to David Simon destroying Christine O'Donnell.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
This was the first time I pretty much expected Bill to produce a framing hammer from under his chair and unleash on the interview guest---the rage and indignation was palpable.

Christie was terrible though, and OT was ever worse for the interviewee being in the mix. Dead God how I wish Michael Moore would've somehow been on the panel this week if only for Overtime...it would've been a grand spectacle.

2nd interview guest just seemed largely lost, but that's an improvement to many.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
That was one of the best episodes I've seen in a long time.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Cacator posted:

A retarded coworker of mine uses that phrase all the time, also "you know when you think about it ....". I just know right after the word crutches comes a steaming pile of nonsense.

Awesome episode, I feel Bill was just channeling what many felt watching the GOP convention this week.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
That Christie guy is hilarious. He's so far gone that he'd be a comedic genius if he weren't completely serious about the stuff he says.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

I loved the part where he just flat out gave up with trying to reason with him.

My professor for one of my earth science classes told us that there wasn't any controversy between scientists on global warming but there was controversy at the rate at which it is happening.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Wow, Bill has wanted to do that for 11 years. Bet it felt good.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Steinuh posted:

I loved the part where he just flat out gave up with trying to reason with him.

My professor for one of my earth science classes told us that there wasn't any controversy between scientists on global warming but there was controversy at the rate at which it is happening.

Yeah but my gut tells me that east coast ivy league elites are just lying to me to try to....???? Leech gov't funding yeah that's the ticket.

And hey sometimes you just have to go with your heart, jury's still out on science afterall. :suicide:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dudebro posted:

That Christie guy is hilarious. He's so far gone that he'd be a comedic genius if he weren't completely serious about the stuff he says.

That's the same thing I was thinking. I want him to just be himself and go on a comedy tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Maher essentially turned into that overplayed, but classic, Ralph-with-his-head-down gif---it was equal parts funny/depressing. At this rate I'll be surprised it this season makes it without somebody taking a swing at somebody as it is just asking for one of these terrible guests to push the wrong buttons on somebody.