Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
don't date teens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

don't date teens.

He isn't. Rose is 21, and they started dating when she was 20.

fatherdog fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 6, 2013

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
If you were a joyless person I could sort of understand disliking Barry on the basis that he acts like a big immature kid and you think athletes should all be serious respectful boring GSP/Cain Velasquez types. I would disagree but I could sort of see where you were coming from. But this thing Snowden wrote about Pat Barry's personality being fake and a marketing scheme... I can't think of how you could arrive at that conclusion. It makes no sense.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Johnathan Snowden seems to like trashing fighters for one reason or another. He used to have a column specifically for that very purpose called "Hater Aid", but after railing against Bonnar for a host of weird untrue reasons he later apologized and nixed the column altogether.

He just seems like an overly negative guy for personalities he doesn't really gel with.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
With the exception of being at the low end of your sports division and getting punched in the face, who wouldn't want Pat's life? Dude isn't poor, well liked, and has a pretty cool girlfriend that he really appears to love.

(go watch his post fight speech after icing Hardonk, it will make you cry)

Also, he went into the Hardonk fight only able to afford rice to eat. He put ketchup on it for flavor. When he won FOTN and KOTN bonuses he turned his life around. He told a great story, I can't find the source, about driving to the bank to cash the check in his broke rear end truck. The truck completely poo poo its pants and broke down in the parking lot of the bank. He went in to deposit his check and the teller went to get a manager. The manager came out, looked at him, and said something to the likes of, "This is going to take a little while to confirm." Pat apparently laughed and said, "No problem man, I can wait. My truck wont start!" and went to sit down.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

Bundt Cake posted:

1st AD posted:

I'm not sure why Rousey is getting so much bad rap
page views
Quite extremely this.

Jonathan Snowden posted:

"I won't be celebrating when and if Barry is released. That kind of over-the-top emotion is more Pat's thing. I'll give that moment the attention it deserves—a yawn and a click of the "next story" button."

Exactly how I feel about Jonathan Snowden :haw:

Also it's funny how he comes off as the biggest troll in MMA journalism, yet he's incredibly thin-skinned and would ban people from Bloody Elbow for simply disagreeing with him. He probably thinks Pat Barry is fake because he doesn't understand the concept of a confident dude who is genuinely a good guy.

In fact, I don't think Jonathan Snowden understands "confident", "being a good dude", "self-effacing", "happy", or "emotionally honest" as individual concepts even.

Chrom1um fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 7, 2013

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
There's always one.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mma/news/20131207/mark-hunt-antonio-silva-ufc-fight-night/

quote:

Jeff Wagenheim>INSIDE MMA

Hunt, Silva battle to brutal draw with little significance

Mark Hunt and Antonio Silva battled five rounds but left their heavyweight bout with a draw.

Some nights the fights are all about a shiny brass-and-leather belt. The stakes are high, and the level of pugilism measures up. The arena is buzzing such that the glitzy celebrities seated cageside are too transfixed by the championship wrangling to even text in their post fight dinner reservations.

Then there are evenings like Friday, when so much happens and doesn't happen, and some things that happen don't matter ... and you might not even see them happen. There are mixed martial arts fans who will wake up on Saturday morning, go to set their DVR for the weekend's fights ... and only then realize they already happened. Oh yeah, Saturday afternoon in Australia is Friday night in the United States.

Those who didn't check the world clock in time to catch this UFC Fight Night in Brisbane missed out on a spectacle -- actually, more than one -- but nothing that holds significance within the sport in the long run. With different results, there could have been consequences. But when the curtain closed on this one, the show was over.

The main event pitted Mark Hunt against Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva, and the storyline going in was that a victory by the "Super Samoan" might keep him at least marginally relevant to the title chase. After all, Hunt had won four fights in a row before running into Junior dos Santos back in May, and he nearly went the distance against the second-best heavyweight in the world. Silva, on the other hand, has lost twice in the last year and a half to Cain Velasquez, and both bouts were so brutally one-sided that there's no way the big Brazilian is getting another shot at the champ.

As it turned out, neither Hunt nor Silva showed himself to be a championship-level fighter. Each had his moments of brutalizing the other, and they conspired for extended spells of simultaneous assault in which either man could have fallen for good at any moment, no questions asked. But even when cage life was at its most wobbly, these two fighters shared a resiliency that was supernatural. They had the arena in an uproar and Twitter bursting with hyperbole -- "sickest HW fight ever!!" UFC president Dana White gushed, and he was not alone -- as they slobber knocked each other around the octagon for 25 bloody, exhausting and concussive minutes.

The judges rendered the fight a majority draw, and while that result typically would seem like dithering, in this case it was justice. No one lost. No one won (although at the post-fight press conference, both men were awarded a win bonus on top of a Fight of the Night check). No one takes a step up or down. Life goes on, and so does the heavyweight division.

If that description sounds callously dismissive of a fight many observers are deeming an instant classic, so be it.
Hunt vs. Silva was a spectacle of toughness, no question, and that's a necessary element of the fight game. But when a bout devolves into an artlessly staggering mess, its appeal gets stuck at stop-and-stare. There's nothing sustainable there. If Cain Velasquez was sitting home watching, he certainly wasn't shivering in fear and doubt.

Jon Jones wasn't, either, after watching the co-main event, in which Mauricio "Shogun" Rua rose from the left-for-dead with a quick pasting of James Te Huna. The 32-year-old former light heavyweight champ, whose reign was ended by "Bones" Jones nearly three years ago, was on a two-fight losing streak and it appeared like the game might have passed him by. But in sending Te Huna crashing to the mat with a one-punch KO just 1:03 into the bout, the Brazilian showed astonishing rejuvenation.

Make no mistake, though: Rua is still hanging by thread in the UFC's light heavyweight top 10. A loss would have been a more defining event, since it could be reasonably assumed that would have marked the end for "Shogun." But now? It depends on what the ego needs. Perhaps it will be a winnable fight in Brazil so he can bow out regally. Or maybe Rua can't get the title chase out of his head, and he'll embark on a slow build that could prove unwieldy for someone with so many miles on the tires.

So entertainment, even inspiration? Yes and yes. But a pivotal chapter in a consequential story? Not on this night.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mma/news/20131207/mark-hunt-antonio-silva-ufc-fight-night/#ixzz2mnhQ6SFH

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I am absolutely going to piss in everyone' corn flakes.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
If you're a professional MMA journalist and you didn't love Bigfoot-Hunt I have to question what you're doing with your life, because it represented what is exciting and compelling about the sport. Fights like that are why people watch MMA. Also it's only the day after and I'm already sick of everybody tossing in a qualifier about how the fight was exciting but "not technical." Both guys started out looking pretty sharp and got sloppier as they became progressively more exhausted and beat up. Rounds 4 and 5 were a brawl but 1 and 2 were pretty technically interesting.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Candidate for foty happened last night or whatever but let me remind you that life is utterly meaningless and someday we will all be forgotten

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I'm going to throw that guy in with Bryant Gumbel as "sports journalists who seemingly hate sports."

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
He showed up in the comments to defend himself

quote:

@ReymondoLeon All respect to them both for resiliency, not to mention an ability to dish out punishment, but the greatest heavyweight fight of all time? To me, that's the fans' piqued endorphins speaking. It was a thrill-a-second action flick, but forget about any Oscar nominations. And Turner Classic Movies won't be scheduling it alongside "Casablanca" in 40 years.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lid posted:

The only category for the fight Oscar equivalent is in thrill-a-second action you loving retard.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lid posted:

Compare it to all the MMA fights that have won Oscars and show up on Turner Classic movies. Doesn't stack up, now does it?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I actually saw that and thought about commenting on it but I had trouble articulating how dumb that comparison was. Two men get in a cage and batter each other for 25 minutes. Thrill-a-minute action movie is a pretty apt analogy, but as far as elevating that poo poo to the level of an Oscar-winning best picture, I'm not sure how you do that. What is the Casablanca of MMA fights? He didn't name it. All we know is that a fight has to be relevant to the rankings and title shot picture for this guy to give a poo poo.

I mean, for me the personal narratives, the story of Mark Hunt through K-1 and Pride and his UFC renaissance, the story of Antonio Silva debunking Fedor and Browne and Overeem, both men coming off punishing losses to the #2 and #1 heavyweights in the world respectively, the fact that they're friends and training partners... all that had me amped up for a fight that I was certain would end inside of three minutes. Then when the fight actually happened it subverted all my expectations in the most awesome and exciting way. Bigfoot outstriking Mark Hunt! Mark Hunt outgrappling Antonio Silva! A back and forth struggle where both guys gave it everything they had for all 25 minutes and each man came within a razor's edge of finishing more than once!

:colbert: : Fight didn't affect the division rankings. Thanks for wasting my time, scrubs.

Like,

quote:

If Cain Velasquez was sitting home watching, he certainly wasn't shivering in fear and doubt.

If Cain Velasquez was home watching, I bet he wasn't sitting, I bet he was on his feet like everybody else.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

EvanSchenck posted:

I actually saw that and thought about commenting on it but I had trouble articulating how dumb that comparison was. Two men get in a cage and batter each other for 25 minutes. Thrill-a-minute action movie is a pretty apt analogy, but as far as elevating that poo poo to the level of an Oscar-winning best picture, I'm not sure how you do that. What is the Casablanca of MMA fights? He didn't name it. All we know is that a fight has to be relevant to the rankings and title shot picture for this guy to give a poo poo.

I mean, for me the personal narratives, the story of Mark Hunt through K-1 and Pride and his UFC renaissance, the story of Antonio Silva debunking Fedor and Browne and Overeem, both men coming off punishing losses to the #2 and #1 heavyweights in the world respectively, the fact that they're friends and training partners... all that had me amped up for a fight that I was certain would end inside of three minutes. Then when the fight actually happened it subverted all my expectations in the most awesome and exciting way. Bigfoot outstriking Mark Hunt! Mark Hunt outgrappling Antonio Silva! A back and forth struggle where both guys gave it everything they had for all 25 minutes and each man came within a razor's edge of finishing more than once!

:colbert: : Fight didn't affect the division rankings. Thanks for wasting my time, scrubs.

Like,

If Cain Velasquez was home watching, I bet he wasn't sitting, I bet he was on his feet like everybody else.

a good post.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
It was the oscarr winner of fights because it had the best and most compelling story I've seen in a fight since randy v. tim with a notable mention to brock v. mir 2 and brock v. shane. I assume we've all watched enough b leagues and prelims to see sloppy gassed dudes hitting each other and hunt v. silva wasn't that at all, because them being gassed as gently caress and sloppy was earned in the course of the fight. It's not like they walked out there and gassed in two minutes and winged arm punches till a cut stoppage. it was literally a pro wrestling match where the guys show each other that they've scouted their moves and do all their stuff but nothing is working! this is a war! and you think its over but then its not and your emotions are reaching all kinds of levels of feeling. Except it wasn't pro wrestling, it literally actually happened in front of us some how, like when MJ did the big sport shot and everyone cheered. Basically if you legit watched that whole fight live and didn't like it then you like sports for the wrong reason or you're trolling for pageviews and either way I don't got time for quote unquote haters.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I agree 100% or maybe 150% and I think the two of us need to go to Hollywood to pitch Space Jam 2: the legend of Mark Hunt. The climax of the movie will be Mark Hunt fulfilling his destiny and beating Michael Jordon to death in front of all the looney tunes and then he walks through a glowing door with brains dripping from his fists into a white room where Dana White writes him a check that just says "all the money" in the blank space where you write the amount.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

It was the oscarr winner of fights because it had the best and most compelling story I've seen in a fight since randy v. tim with a notable mention to brock v. mir 2 and brock v. shane. I assume we've all watched enough b leagues and prelims to see sloppy gassed dudes hitting each other and hunt v. silva wasn't that at all, because them being gassed as gently caress and sloppy was earned in the course of the fight. It's not like they walked out there and gassed in two minutes and winged arm punches till a cut stoppage. it was literally a pro wrestling match where the guys show each other that they've scouted their moves and do all their stuff but nothing is working! this is a war! and you think its over but then its not and your emotions are reaching all kinds of levels of feeling. Except it wasn't pro wrestling, it literally actually happened in front of us some how, like when MJ did the big sport shot and everyone cheered. Basically if you legit watched that whole fight live and didn't like it then you like sports for the wrong reason or you're trolling for pageviews and either way I don't got time for quote unquote haters.

Word.

Seriously, word. This is pretty much a perfect summation.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Lid posted:

i too measure a fight's quality by it's chances of being shown on a channel that exists solely to air black and white movies starring bigots

i'm a pretty salty hater most of the time and i'm loving baffled the lengths to which people will go to try and be too cool for one of the best fights they could ever hope to witness. it's not like me blowing off something to stay home and watch mma on a friday night is all that unusual an occurrence but i would've been loving gutted if i didn't get to see that as it was happening. goddamn gently caress that author

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 8, 2013

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Care to step out of our insolated "being objective about MMA" bubble, PSP?

UFC a bloody disgrace

Phil Rothfield, Sports Editor-at-Large for The Daily Telegraph posted:

SINCE when is kicking, elbowing, kneeing, punching and stomping an opponent classified as sport?

On Saturday night on Fuel TV I witnessed the brutality and bloodshed of the UFC — apparently, and worryingly, the world’s fastest growing sport.
This was nothing but barbaric savagery that should be banned in this country.
The fact women were allowed to fight on the card was an even bigger disgrace.
The main event was between Aussie Mark Hunt and Brazilian Antonio “Bigfoot’’ Silva.
The commentators described it as one of the greatest fights in UFC history.
It made me feel sick.
Hunt started with blond hair that finished a blood-soaked red. Both fighters became barely recognisable from the blood and facial wounds of five sadistic rounds.
It scared me that the Brisbane Entertainment Centre was sold out with so many thousands of people (including families with young children) who were prepared to pay to watch it.
And all those who lapped it up and loved every cruel moment on pay-TV.
Almost defenceless men being held down on the ground and punched senseless.
What does it say about our society?
Why do we allow our kids to watch and cheer for something we teach them not to do?
And why are the competitors allowed to do all this inside a cage when it’s illegal on the streets?
People have been sent to jail for less than what happened inside a cage on Saturday night.
If you really want to make yourself sick, Google “UFC worst injuries”. The images are seriously disgusting and raise the question: why aren’t the fighters at least made to wear headgear?
Why aren’t fighters getting protection from blood diseases?
Why do the referees and doctors allow mismatches and lopsided fights to continue?
I know the UFC has statistics to prove there are no more serious injuries than in boxing, but that’s not the point.
The beauty of all sport is the toughness and determination of its competitors. The pain they put themselves through to become the best.
The injury risks they face in rugby league and all the footy codes. At least their sport involves a large degree of skill — and it’s not just a contest to ­violently bash another person into submission.
HYBRID TALKS
Dave Smith refuses to rule out the Kangaroos’ ­involvement in a hybrid game against the Wallabies.
Promoters are believed to have offered Smith $7.5 million earlier this year to play against the Wallabies.
He met with his ARU counterpart, Bill Pulver, and there was talk about Anzac Day this year at ANZ Stadium.
With Smith unwilling to commit, the promoters approached the English rugby league and got an agreement in principal.
Smith told me over the weekend it was something he may consider down the track.
“I’ve had a few people come and talk to me about hybrid games,” Smith said.
“It’s been a question of priorities for me. We’ve had so much to do this year with pathways, membership programs and all the integrity issues.
“Who knows, in the future it might be something interesting. I’m happy to talk to anybody who’s got a good idea. It just wasn’t a priority this year.”
Under the hybrid game rules, it’s a 13-a-side contest. The attacking team plays the ball in its own half and has a maul in the opposition half.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 8, 2013

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Is that guy from 1995?

Though to be fair I would also like to know why Bader/Perosh was allowed to continue.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

quote:

The fact women were allowed to fight on the card was an even bigger disgrace.
:goonsay:

e: posted a comment, but I have doubts that their moderators will allow it.

dsriggs fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 8, 2013

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

let's not get dragged down in 'statistics' and 'objectivity'

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

That stuck out to me as well

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

What's Dave Meltzer's reputation as a MMA reporter? Curious as a pro wrestling fan/casual MMA watcher.

Dangersim posted:

Is that guy from 1995?

Though to be fair I would also like to know why Bader/Perosh was allowed to continue.

Moving to 1995 would be a nice step forward for certain people that write for the Telegraph.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

quote:

And why are the competitors allowed to do all this inside a cage when it’s illegal on the streets?

That's like....every contact sport.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Detroit_Dogg posted:

That's like....every contact sport.

Playing golf in the street would be pretty dangerous too

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Thauros posted:

What's Dave Meltzer's reputation as a MMA reporter? Curious as a pro wrestling fan/casual MMA watcher.

Meltzer has been covering mma since the UFC started, so he's quite knowledgeable and good at putting things in historical context. As far as sources go, he has good contacts among ppv providers and ratings dudes for buyrate and ratings info; people often assume this means he has good contacts for other mma info despite him proving over and over again that this is not the case.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

-Atom- posted:

UFC a bloody disgrace

The Daily Telegraph and The Herald Sun where these were published are the two biggest right wing tabloid rags of the Murdoch media in Australia. They can easily and justly be told to "gently caress off".

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...i-1226770621803 if you want to see hypocrisy in action

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Your honor my accuser may call it assault outside of a bar but I call it a wicked 1-2.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

A disgrace? Ultimate Fighting Championship is a bloody amazing sport

Ben Harvy and Nathan Ryan
The Daily Telegraph
December 09, 2013 1:28PM

expand

Share on facebook

Your Friends' Activity

NEW! Discover news with your friends. Give it a try.
To get going, simply connect with your favourite social network:
Facebook

Play video

Autoplay

On
Off

Mark Hunt v Brazilian Antonio Silva in the UFC Heavyweight clash.

Mark Hunt v Brazilian Antonio Silva in the UFC Heavyweight clash. Source: News Limited
<>

UFC Honours even as Hunt & 'Bigfoot'...
Mark Hunt v Brazilian Antonio Silva in t...

ALMOST every day, I defend the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Colleagues, friends and family know I am a huge fan of the sport (yes, it is a sport ,folks) and constantly they barrage me with arguments as to why it should be banned full stop.

"It's way too brutal."

"There's blood."

"It would be illegal if it was held out on the street."

"You can't use a cage, fighters are trapped in there."

And don't even get me started on the people who have decided that women shouldn't be allowed to fight either.

But, to all of these people, I deliver the same response every time - don't watch it.

``But... but... but...'', but nothing. Don't watch what you don't like.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/m...994#mm-breached

A fight is brewin'.

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP

-Atom- posted:

UFC a bloody disgrace
shogun hoo-hah

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Buzz is a fool, one of my friends here passed the article on.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I watched that fight and it was indeed a bloody disgrace.
I can't recall a fight as bad as that in a long time.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

The brutality of the UFC is far better than gross mismatches in boxing, writes Nick Walshaw

Nick Walshaw
The Daily Telegraph
December 09, 2013 5:00PM

ANOTHER day, another attack on the UFC.

Ho hum.

As a staunch supporter of Mixed Martial Arts - a bone fide sport which, for the record, has been going since the 1920s - I've been asked to come out, err, swinging after the brutal UFC beatdown by colleague Phil Rothfield.

READ BUZZ ROTHFIELD'S EXPLOSIVE COLUMN

But you already know how this goes, right?

Understanding how, first, I'll deliver the UFC's extensive medical and safety program. Next, the incredible skill set of athletes.

Eventually explaining how a bloke called Joe Silva, the greatest matchmaker anywhere on the planet, actually helps maintain his company's zero fatality count by only pitting fighters of equal standing.

But why?

With the UFC - which, by the way, is not a sport but the leading MMA competition - you're either in or out. There is no grey.

Don't like it? No drama. Nothing written here will change that.

But, please, stop trying to classify as "thugs" those of us who believe there is more to combat sports than Anthony Mundine, Paul Gallen and Sonny Bill Williams.

For us, MMA rivals the 100m Olympic final for sporting purity. No, it's not legal on George Street. But neither is whacking golf balls with your three wood.

And as for questioning how long elbows and knees have been considered fair game? C'mon, Google the history of kickboxing or Muay Thai.

Another reason for supporting the UFC is that, when it comes to violent confrontation, I hate lopsided beatdowns. It's why I don't watch bullfighting, detest street violence and, where possible, avoid games involving my beloved Parramatta Eels.

It's also why I opted out of covering Mundine versus Shane Mosley - a fight night whose scarily mismatched undercard hovered somewhere between medically dangerous and immoral.

Indeed, during the UFC Brisbane card last Saturday, the bloodiest fight was a lopsided bout between Anthony Perosh and Ryan Bader - which was actually panned on Twitter by UFC fans the longer it went.

This is no criticism of Perosh. The Sydneysider is tougher than Chinese arithmetic.

But know that as he was being battered in the second round, then destroyed in the third, social media lit up with fans criticising the official for failing to stop it.

Thankfully, such UFC mismatches are a rarity, as proved by the main event between heavyweights Mark Hunt and Antonio Silva.

Here, truly, was five rounds of aggression, heart and skill. Athletic confrontation in its purest form. But, hey, that's just how I saw it.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/b...214#mm-breached

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I hope Joe Silva's office has a little placard that reads "Days since last fatality: 7335".

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Has there been a fatality in a sanctioned MMA event yet? The few I've heard of were all in unsanctioned fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Anime Reference posted:

Has there been a fatality in a sanctioned MMA event yet? The few I've heard of were all in unsanctioned fights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatalities_in_mixed_martial_arts_contests

Three sanctioned so far.

• Locked thread