Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Man, that episode was a sad note to end on. :( It was great, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Great episode, no doubt.

But if they hadn't decided to extend to a season 2, that would have been their farewell? I didn't expect there would actually be some alternate timeline / quantum physics meaning to the way the whole cast sometimes dies and comes back the next week, but they really wouldn't have elaborated on the whole Dr. Gel / evil empire stuff? It's all just a total non sequitur, there's no reason for them to be chasing after Dandy, even if it, fitting with the rest of the show, is a super silly reason?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They had been extended to a season 2 pretty much before the show began, so no, this probably wouldn't have been it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Great episode, no doubt.

But if they hadn't decided to extend to a season 2, that would have been their farewell? I didn't expect there would actually be some alternate timeline / quantum physics meaning to the way the whole cast sometimes dies and comes back the next week, but they really wouldn't have elaborated on the whole Dr. Gel / evil empire stuff? It's all just a total non sequitur, there's no reason for them to be chasing after Dandy, even if it, fitting with the rest of the show, is a super silly reason?

We already have our answer to all these questions, Dandy is Buddha.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Great episode, no doubt.

Considering the animator that complained about Honey's dialogue localization in episode one mentioned that (season 2 spoiler) she was actually a secret agent (which hasn't even been alluded to yet), I'm pretty sure they've had the whole thing planned out for quite a while.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
So uh... where can I find this soundtrack again?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Raku posted:

So uh... where can I find this soundtrack again?

http://www.yesasia.com/us/tv-anime-space-daddy-original-soundtrack-japan-version/1035110237-0-0-0-en/info.html

Maybe cheaper elsewhere, but yesasia is a solid source for imported goods.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I'd imagine Space Dandy season two will attempt to connect the dots a little bit. That should be interesting.

But not in a way that would take up most of the screen time and risk turning it into a linear narrative all of a sudden.

In other words, I fully expect the majority of the episodes will be more of the same: a crazy creator showcase.

And I'm absolutely fine with that. I don't know if this is really the best anime of the season, but it definitely turned out to be my personal favorite.

wielder fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 31, 2014

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

CD Japan is a little bit lower and I've never had a problem with them. Space Dandy Soundtrack

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
Really liked the latest episode, especially that brave little toaster.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only a couple of weeks late in getting around to watching the last episode, which is a shame because it was probably my favourite one of the show, only the zombie episode gives it a run for its money.

I liked the first season on the whole, though I do think that having a new writer and director for every episode seemed to make it lack cohesiveness, rather than a series is seemed more like a bunch of those 'Young Animator Training' projects strung together. That said, taken individually there wasn't a single episode I disliked, especially the ones with the crazier art and animation styles like the plant world one (which was probably most people's least favourite :v:).

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I finally caught up with the show and I have to give it serious credit for being way smarter and funnier than expected. I'm really shocked people think it's only TnA jokes because 95% of the time the setup and delivery are based around form and function of the narrative as opposed to playing a boob for laughs. It was also cool to see each different director flex their muscles. It was one of the most well animated shows of the entire season. Points to the soundtrack as well.

Episode 9 and 10 are great examples of that and probably my favorite of the whole show. Episode 13 has so many silly references (Like the loving A.I. references at the dance party and the Brave Little Toaster parody stuff). It definitely isn't a show that exists in a vacuum but it is genuinely enjoyable. The episode that made fun of Wacky Racers and Redline was also hilarious and wonderful.

Safe to say that I'm excited for it to come back.

Edit: It's also really clear that this show is a huge parody of western TV (not just animation) so it's not surprising that the "continuity" and overall connectedness of episodes isn't directly stated or cared about in the slightest.

laplace fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 12, 2014

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
So any word on how this show has done? Is it likely CN will consider this "worth it" or will they never sign off on something like this again?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Failboattootoot posted:

So any word on how this show has done? Is it likely CN will consider this "worth it" or will they never sign off on something like this again?

Seems like it did pretty well for itself:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-04-06/adult-swim-cartoon-network-are-no.1-in-quarterly-rankings-for-key-demographics

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Sakurazuka posted:

Only a couple of weeks late in getting around to watching the last episode, which is a shame because it was probably my favourite one of the show, only the zombie episode gives it a run for its money.

I liked the first season on the whole, though I do think that having a new writer and director for every episode seemed to make it lack cohesiveness, rather than a series is seemed more like a bunch of those 'Young Animator Training' projects strung together. That said, taken individually there wasn't a single episode I disliked, especially the ones with the crazier art and animation styles like the plant world one (which was probably most people's least favourite :v:).

I think the variation gives it a certain charm. It makes it less episodic, more like an anthology.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

This is as opposed to in Japan, where the Blu-ray sales have been fairly mediocre. Not Wizard Barristers bad, but if BR sales determined whether or not we'd get the other 13 episodes, the answer'd be NOPE.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

So I did a thing and AMVed that last episode fight. Which, I've never made an AMV and haven't edited video for like five years and couldn't be bothered to find a non hardcoded source, so it's kinda lovely but there it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gNJPN8wxk8&hd=1

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Magnus Condomus posted:

So I did a thing and AMVed that last episode fight. Which, I've never made an AMV and haven't edited video for like five years and couldn't be bothered to find a non hardcoded source, so it's kinda lovely but there it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gNJPN8wxk8&hd=1

Holy poo poo that was some good poo poo right there. Just as good as seeing it in its original form.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hey, did you want to see official art of the Dandy cast in designer clothes?

No?

Too bad.

Bea oh my god.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 15, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey, did you want to see official art of the Dandy cast in designer clothes?

No?

Too bad.

How do you link this and not post QT?

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
When's this come back?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

July.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

"Kept ya waiting, huh?"

combatfrog
Mar 26, 2007

psyduck
Are people watching this subbed or dubbed?
Usually I watch all my animes subbed, because I am afraid of bad voice actors and I usually like to see things in their original language.
I was forced to watch one episode (episode 3) dubbed and and found it to actually add to the humour, which was nice.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

combatfrog posted:

Are people watching this subbed or dubbed?
Usually I watch all my animes subbed, because I am afraid of bad voice actors and I usually like to see things in their original language.
I was forced to watch one episode (episode 3) dubbed and and found it to actually add to the humour, which was nice.

The dub is high quality enough that sub isn't worth it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only Watanabe show you should watch subbed in Kids on the Slope and that was already based on something.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The dub is fantastic. I've heard some criticisms of it missing some deep nuance from time to time but honestly that seems very nit-picky.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The dub is fantastic. I've heard some criticisms of it missing some deep nuance from time to time but honestly that seems very nit-picky.

Honestly the only complaint I heard was about a single line for a character that hasn't really done much at all.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Both are great, but I would suggest going with the dub. This way you could enjoy the animation that much more.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I saw some clips of the dub and I really hated how they seemed to really force the comedy by adding/altering lines to have unnecessary comedic stuff.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Slightly changing lines to make them flow better when spoken is a part of any good localization process. I'd rather have dialogue that sounds natural than having a 100% accurate translation that sounds stilted and clunky.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live

JetpackHowwy posted:

Both are great, but I would suggest going with the dub. This way you could enjoy the animation that much more.

I feel like the Adult Swim version really is superior, and I rarely prefer dubs, save for maybe Evangelion, Bebop, DBZ, and FMA. The narrator, QT, Dandy, all of them I feel work better in the dub.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Srice posted:

Slightly changing lines to make them flow better when spoken is a part of any good localization process. I'd rather have dialogue that sounds natural than having a 100% accurate translation that sounds stilted and clunky.

Yeah, I think they did a really fantastic job with it too. This is probably an anime I'd show someone who didn't like most of the other anime they've seen (just like Bebop and Champloo).

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I cannot accept a version of the show without an auto tuned QT. :colbert:

Last week I was waiting in line at the bank and I swear I heard a version of the song used in adult swim's credits playing in the lobby. Is it a unique piece of music for the show or did it originate elsewhere?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's a piece from the OST. You can hear it in episode 5 when Penguin Dandy is chasing the kidnappers.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Srice posted:

Totally with this. Especially when it comes to verbal comedy, the most accurate translation is never the best one.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Waffleman_ posted:

It's a piece from the OST. You can hear it in episode 5 when Penguin Dandy is chasing the kidnappers.

Are you sure that piece is in the OST? I listened through the OST repeatedly and I don't think it's any of the tracks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

sincx posted:

Are you sure that piece is in the OST? I listened through the OST repeatedly and I don't think it's any of the tracks.

I know for a fact that it was in the OST that was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Steve Jorbs posted:

I cannot accept a version of the show without an auto tuned QT. :colbert:

Totally. When I read a review of the show before watching it (I forget where), the reviewer said the auto-tuning was annoying and I was set to dislike it but I was not prepared for how much I love the effect. It just works, y'know?

• Locked thread