Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
I'm hoping to have an update tomorrow, but I'm really unwell and if it continues I don't know that I'll be feeling up to it. I'll let you know which way when it's time to make the call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'll sidestep the argument about how hella dumb it is, but if the 7th dimension is "our real world", What are the 5th and 6th dimensions?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

There might actually be an answer to that question but seeing as I would have been jailed along with everyone but Sarly for not understanding Wave Physics I'm going to say you'll be happier just not questioning the Star Trek level technobabble stuff.

My cold's getting a bit better, I might not feel like I want to die tomorrow and am somewhat confident you'll get the Cass/Kanon Dive tomorrow. It's actually a pretty good one because among other things it actually addresses one of the things about Cass that has been noted by people.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So uh you can look at this if you want to :psyboom:

quote:

Seventh Axis - World
The seventh and final dimension established by the Qualia Dimension Theory is the W-Axis, called gin-wa-fen (gin-wa-fen) in Emotional Song Pact, and it corresponds to the World itself. To put it simply, it comprises everything that gives form to an entire world: it space, time, and all versions of their possibilities and Qualia interactions are all contained within a point in the Seventh Axis, while the other points correspond to entirely different worlds unrelated to the Universe of EXA_PICO itself, of which there is no knowledge available.

This also means that all universes are constantly interacting with each other, like the Big Bang Universe (Earth) and the EXA_PICO Universe (Ar Ciel and Ra Ciela), but given the magnitude of their interactions is so large in scale, we have no way of comprehending them with our Third-Dimensional viewpoint. Likewise, while theoretically there is an infinite number of higher dimensions existing over the Seventh one due to the fact that the universe is fractal-shaped, the Qualia Dimension Theory doesn't consider them due to our lack of understanding on the matter.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

wdarkk posted:

So uh you can look at this if you want to :psyboom:

If I understand the technobabble correctly:
-a single universe is a standard 4-dimensional thing
-a multiversal set of connected universes (parallel words) with the same set of physical laws can be described by two extra dimensions (5th and 6th)
-if you want to access poo poo with different physical laws (e.g. the EXA_PICO universe which explicitly has a different underlying structure at the subatomic level) you need the 7th dimension.
-there are still some similarities between ours and EXA_PICO that can only go away on theoretical 8th + dimensions.

:techno::hf::psyduck:

Omobono fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 31, 2015

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'll sidestep the argument about how hella dumb it is, but if the 7th dimension is "our real world", What are the 5th and 6th dimensions?

Apparently this is the localization being spotty. Calling it the 7th dimension implies some sort of separate physical plane, but what they're actually talking about is the concept of seven dimensions, which in this game amounts to a simplified variant of Superstring theory in quantum physics. So under the setting established in these games, the "real world" we live on still exists the same way we all think it does, but it also runs parallel to the universe of the games. Kind of, it's still pretty weird to think about.

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?

The fifth dimensional axis is the axis of possibility. Timelines where different choices were made are located at different points on this axis.

The sixth dimensional axis is consciousness. Essentially, movement across the sixth axis is changing your soul: what you think, feel, or remember.

They're kind of intertwined, since doing different things generally means feeling different things and vice versa.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Omobono posted:

If I understand the technobabble correctly:
-a single universe is a standard 4-dimensional thing
-a multiversal set of connected universes (parallel words) with the same set of physical laws can be described by two extra dimensions (5th and 6th)
-if you want to access poo poo with different physical laws (e.g. the EXA_PICO universe which explicitly has a different underlying structure at the subatomic level) you need the 7th dimension.
-there are still some similarities between ours and EXA_PICO that can only go away on theoretical 8th + dimensions.

:techno::hf::psyduck:

I think so.

Also I prefer to think of Oversight as the "GameFAQs" superpower.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

wdarkk posted:

I think so.

Also I prefer to think of Oversight as the "GameFAQs" superpower.

I figure it's analogous to a 3D person interacting with a 2D world. They'd interact on a 2D level while retaining their perspective.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

In practice Oversight seems to manifest a lot like clairsentience. What Zill's trying to pull off, if successfully completed, will involve a whole lot of words beginning in 'om' and then probably the destruction of all things.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Auraboks posted:

The fifth dimensional axis is the axis of possibility. Timelines where different choices were made are located at different points on this axis.

So, like a multiple universes, anything-possible-which-can-happen-will-happen-somewhere type thing? ...Huh.

...You know, I like the idea that somewhere out there, in all the infinite possibility space of the multiverse, is a universe where all the characters in this game get stung to death by angry bees. ;)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 1, 2015

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014

So, like a multiple universes, anything-possible-which-can-happen-will-happen-somewhere type thing? ...Huh.

...You know, I like the idea that somewhere out there, in all the infinite possibility space of the multiverse, is a universe where all the characters in this game get stung to death by angry bees. ;)
Yeah the 4th dimension is time itself and the 5th dimension is like lots of different singular 'time's. Think a 2 dimensional graph. If you want a film that is basically an exploration of the 4th/5th and 6th there is Mr. Nobody. Which is also a pretty good film if not a bit confusing.

The dimensions also come in threes, and loop forever. Because that is how the equations work. So there are 10 dimensions, 0th 1st/2nd/3rd, 4th/5th/6th and 7th/8th/9th and 10th. The 10th or 0th dimension are basically the same thing. Which is why you can say there are either 9, 10 or 11 dimensions. But different 'dimensions' just have different versions of the 1-9 dimensions, the 0th or 10th dimensions are the same I think.
The upper 7th/8th/9th change how the universe is fundamentally made up and how the fundamental forces interact with one another.

It basically came about due to the idea of String Theory, as there needs to be an infinite number of ways the strings can do their thing. It is an attempt to unite a large amount of physics together. So it is the multidimensional String Theory.
String Theory quickly:(and probably very simple and wrong.) The entirety of space is made up of very small strings, they are basically the smallest thing anything can ever be, and how the strings can move reflects one of the 4 fundamental forces. (Gravity, electromagnetism, weak nuclear force and strong nuclear force) It is one of those things, like most of quantum mechanics, that makes way more sense looking at the equations though.

Also Fractals are neat. And we need to separate the word dimension into 2 different words, for clarity's sake.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, uh, that's how random encounters work? You fight 20 waves of dudes and that's all your random encounters for the zone, instead of having 20 individual ones?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yes. Also if you only defeat like 10 of them or run out of turns the rest of the waves are still up for encounters.

Late game areas have 50+ waves. It gets tiring, fast.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

It should also be noted that normal fights end when you use Song Magic whether or not you clear all the Waves with it. Conceptually I think the idea is you blew away enough enemies to be able to disengage for the moment.

Bosses of course have to actually be killed, and if you were to use Song Magic early on them you would get an opportunity to start a new Song.

It's sort of bizarre because Song Magic as a mechanic keeps getting less deep. Like AT2 at least still had Blue Magic but original AT was really the high water mark for actively switching around songs and using lots of Red Magic that you didn't expect would blow the enemy sky-high in a single shot.

Like honestly if you were there at a sane level without some really beardy grathnode crystals and such Mir would loving body you if you didn't have a good understanding of your Blue Magics.

I'd say she was unambiguously the hardest of the final bosses in the series but Ar Nosurge's is pretty rude too.

Actual best final boss is harder because that takes into account things a bunch of other things and realistically is Mir or InfelxNenesha in a toss up.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 1, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I'm still kind of under the weather and the next Dive is ~500 screens, so I'm thinking of just splitting it into two updates. So, half one of Cass/Kanon later on today.

EDIT: I'm feeling a bit better now actually and if my stamina keeps up I might try and get it all into one update.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 1, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I told you not to go out in the rain like that, you know. Now get to bed, you’ll feel better. What about the story? Okay, okay, you’re sick, I’ll humor you. Last time we finished up with Ion for a while, so now it’s time to head back to Delta and Cass for a while. If you remember Kanon had just given them access to her Genometrics, so let’s see that.

Things were somewhat different than the world Ion and Earthes had encountered.

Now, this is an interesting world, isn’t it…? Though, I suppose we should’ve expected as much from Kanon.
Please… Try to sympathize with me, the guy who has to do things here…
There’s no need to be so gloomy about it. I’m sure this world is filled with hopes and dreams.
You don’t have a care in the world… So, I take it Cass is somewhere else, AGAIN?
It appears so. But as I’ve said before, it’s stranger that you can’t seem to assimilate with the host.
But, there is a conclusion we can draw, since this has happened 3 times now.
…What’s that?
The fact that you’re viewing the world objectively, from a 3rd perspective makes everything go smoothly.
Huh… You really think so?
Yes. Normally it takes a very long time to receive any power from friends’ Soulscapes.
I’m sure you could tell from the other floors that friends support each other in a way that doesn’t help growth…
Each side becomes content with where they are, and neither will take action to make the bond deeper.
Their state of mind may be in balance, but they can neither move forward, nor go back…
I see…
So! I look forward to watching you do your thing in this world, too! Good luck! Their growth depends on it!
I think you’re really starting to enjoy this…

Of course some things remained the same no matter what, like the ominously peaceful village.

Is Cass really around here…?

Oh, hey! Sarly! Say, did you see Cass anywhere?
Sarly!? Who’s that… My name is Garibena.
…Sure.
You’ve got the wrong person. I also don’t know who this “Cass” person is, either.
More importantly, where have you come from? Your attire is… Quite fascinating.
Um, that’s actually a really difficult question… I guess, from outside the world?
You cannot even say where you’re from? Have you really studied language and geography?
Huh? Oh, no…
Ah, this just simply won’t do… If I waste any more time talking to you, I won’t make my annual tribute…
Tribute!? You need any help with that? I’m actually pretty strong, you know.
Really? Although, I find it hard to believe you’re stronger than me…
Well, you seem pretty confident. Why don’t you give me one of the tasks you find difficult?

As it happened, though, the tasks she had were perhaps not Delta’s forte.

Applied physics? What the heck is this!?
You bury all of these in the earth, and offer it to the shrine as tribute, obviously!
Huh!? Umm… You’re not burying like… You know, rice? Or veggies?
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Tribute Drills!]!
What the hell are you talking about!? If you say that before our savior, you will be smote!
We must finish our mathematics, physics, geography and biology to offer it as tribute!
If tribute is not made, then grave punishment awaits…
Ugh, my head’s starting to hurt… I can feel nightmares from my student days coming back to haunt me. Oww…
But, if you study too hard, you’ll collapse from fatigue. A little play’s also important, don’t you think?
H-Hey! Don’t you ever utter the words “play” in front of—
Play!? Did someone just say “play”?
Eek!
Who dared utter the words I have forbidden!?
It’s me. …What the-? Kanon!
…W-Who is this?
…Never mind. So? What’s your name?

He had at least managed to find Kanon, for what good it was doing him.

Yeah. What’s wrong with that?
Play is strictly forbidden. Even holding objects that do not pertain to studying is grounds for punishment.
Your Highness, I’m terribly sorry! I’m a virtuous citizen. I study from dawn ‘til dusk, I assure you!
See? I’ve even prepared my tribute, but this man shows up out of nowhere and talks about playing…
I understand. You. What do you call yourself?
…Delta.
Well, Delta… You must accompany me to Shaaru Castle immediately. I must deliver you your punishment.
And you. I expect you to keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing your tribute.
Yes! Enlightened Sovereign!
Now, let us go.
Yes…

Cass!?
Whew, that was a close one. Now, I need to finish the rest of these problems…
You best go to the castle, right away… You don’t want to see Her Highness angry.
On her inauguration, she assassinated the country’s toy-makers and seized their toys. Good luck…
R-Right…
So, Cass is Kanon’s pawn in this world…?
Oh well, I guess I gotta go to the castle and find out.

Delta headed to the castle as requested.

Delta… The Enlightened Sovereign awaits you. Please, come this way…
Cass, what the heck are you doing here!?
Don’t speak to me in that manner! If she finds out I was chit-chatting I’ll be chastised!
O-Okay, sure…
Welcome, Delta.
I assume you are aware of what you’ve done… The punishment for uttering the word “play” is quite severe.
Um, I’m really not sure why that’s so wrong…
Toy Installer!
…Eek!
…Wh-What’s that?

Kanon called a super cute toy dragon thing.

Toy… Installer…!?
Yes, this guy’s the Toy Installer… It recycles unnecessary toys, and keeps balance in this world.
…!?
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Recycled Dragon]!
Normally, your actions would be met with a purge from this dragon, the Toy Installer…
Nevertheless, there is but one reason I can’t do that. There’s a shortage of men in this world, you see…
If you swear to re-think your ways and study, I shall grant you a house and a drill…
…I’ll pass.

More importantly, how exactly are you related to Cass in this world? Cass is my partner, and I need her back…
…!?
…Why you… Do you have any idea of your current situation? You’re calling this woman your partner!?
This woman is my property… She can’t even solve problems sufficiently. I’m training her for her own good.
Do not be distracted by this lowborn woman.
Don’t call Cass lowborn!/I’ll do what you want.

Anyway Delta didn’t appreciate how Cass was being spoken of.

…!?
Oh no… This isn’t good!
Besides, who made you so high ‘n mighty, you can call others lowborns?
But of course… I suffer the most out of all the citizens, and am closest to achieving the truth.
Who the hell needs that!? Sounds like a boring life to me…
Oh Delta… We’re completely done for… She’s going to kill us!
…Very well, I shall determine if you’re worthy of your bark.
Huuh!?
Choose one of the following…
One, become my partner in pilgrimage, and perform an act that would surprise even me…
Two, make that lowborn solve all the problems in a drill book. Today.
If you choose to follow me, you accompany me to the Egg Shrine. Choose the latter, and you remain here.
If you choose neither, then you will become quick prey for the Toy Installer. That I would not recommend.
That is all from me.

Cass meanwhile was just surprised they were still alive.

Is it really that surprising?
Of course it is! No one’s ever resisted the Enlightened Sovereign and survived! You know that, right?
Well, she just gave me a ton of work, didn’t she…?
That doesn’t even count as punishment. So, which is it going to be…?
…Well, whatever you decide, we can’t be caught talking like this. I’m going back to the village.
Whew… This world is pretty irritating…
But this is Kanon we’re talking about, so, I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised…
Now… Which way should I go…?

Feinne’s Notes:
You only have to do one of the two possible paths here. You can do both, however, and we will in fact do that.

Delta headed to meet with Kanon and see what she wanted.

You are the only source of relief in this world, colored in gray…
My Chun, come closer to me…
Hey, I’m here.
!? Y-You’re late! I’ve been waiting here for 3 minutes!
You can’t even wait 3 minutes? Besides, it seemed like I was interrupting something.
Y-You did not interrupt anything! I was simply studying it for science!
Moreover, do not think 3 minutes is easily forgivable. Tardiness sends a bad impression to the other party.
yeah, yeah, okay. I won’t even bother talking back. So… Why am I here again?
First, I will have you learn the important conventions of this world. After that, it’s time for a tour.
Okay…
First. This world is about devotion. Aside from the time spent sleeping or dining, one must study with dedication.

Second. One must have a sense of time. Even 1 minute late, is still a minute late.
And third! Do not speak to the opposite sex without prior written consent!
Are you serious…? What is this, kindergarten?
Those who disobey will be reprimanded. Do keep that in mind.

For not being that bright, Delta was good at picking apart the flaws in these.

…There is an exception for master-student relationships…
When did you become my master!?
Anyway! You will follow the rules that govern this world, and dedicate yourself to academics from today!
I got it/No way
I appreciate your honesty.
Now, to Shaaru Village.

They moved on to the tour.

Your Highness, good afternoon! I finished 3 assignments today!
I appreciate your dedication. Tomorrow, try to finish 4.
Your words are wasted upon me. I shall continue until I collapse!
An exemplary citizen. I suggest you learn from her example.
…Okay…
Hmm hm hm hmm.
Hmm!? Saborina, you’re slacking off again, aren’t you…!?
Saborina! Have you finished your assignments for today!?
Oh, crap!
B-But of course, Your Highness!
Like as you may, I shall soon find out during the tribute, if you’ve met your quota or not.
O-Of course I know… Oh, would you ever doubt me? I’m about to study like there’s no tomorrow… Ahahaha.
Hmph. You can never let your guard down with this one.
Hey, I just noticed, but is this classroom full of women?
…It seems, at the very least, you’re observant. As you have pointed out, this country lacks men.
How did that happen, exactly?
All the men were irresponsible, rough, and refused to study. So, I had them executed.
Whoa whoa whoa! So… How many men do you have left, exactly?
There was not a single one left… Which means, you’re the only man in this country.
Are you kidding me!? That’s why you said men were valuable…

Feinne’s Notes:
So, if you take the expensive choice at this point you will get an Event Still later on. However, it ALSO makes several scenes MUCH more expensive to get through. I don’t actually have enough DP to even do it right now, I’ll show it off in a later update.

There was rather a large problem in the country.

Well that’s a problem…
Yes, well… I have a plan in place to solve that problem. You need not worry about it.
Enlightened Sovereign, it’s a disaster!
What’s the matter, Garibena?
Saborina was looking under her desk smirking, so I was curious what she was doing. This is what I found!
This is…? “The Action-Shooting Game that Places the World at your Fingertips, Tone Arlico?”
B-But this is… One of those electronic entertainment devices I’ve banned last year!
Why you-! Garibena, give that back!!
…Saborina.
U-Uwaaaaaaaaaah! I-I’m so sorry! I’m so sorry! That’s Garibena’s!
Enough excuses! You know the consequences, do you not?
W-Wait a second, please! Can we please just talk about this! I’m sure we can come to an understanding!
No, I will not understand… I think the only way to resolve this is through discipline.
Toy Installer! I summon you!
Noooooooo!
U-Um, I think I’m going to excuse myself!
Ahhh… I’m sorry, I’m sorry…

Okay, being fair, there were really nothing BUT problems.

Eeeeeeeeeeek!! Please, have mercy!
Saborina!
Another troubled child. Why force me to take a toy away to install it… When will the problems go away?
“When will the problems go away?” my foot! YOU’RE the biggest problem right now!
…I do not follow…
Just look around you! Everyone’s run along home because they’re afraid of you!
They went home to continue the drills!
This world is completely upside-down! People need some rest and a change of pace or they’ll go crazy!
Rest? Change of pace…? Hah! That is the source of depravity. This is how I was raised and how I raise my country!
There are those who can’t conform, the ones that bring down the others. Without them, everyone studies.
Heh, if no one knows what candy tastes like, they won’t crave it… Some logic.
Precisely.

Anyway, that game you took earlier, Tone Arlico, was it? Is it really that bad?
Tone Arlico is a game where the hero, who lives in a strategically important city, succeeds in his quest.
In order to accomplish this, the hero buys and sells various items, and shoots oncoming hordes periodically…
Or foul creatures will attack the hero, so with action-like game-play, one must slash them down!
And, gathering the 3 Sacred Artifacts from a land far to the East will greatly speed up the process.
These three items are, the magatama, ancient mirror, and sacred sword…

For someone opposed to games, she was very well informed.

…Huh? Well, I had to understand how these toys might hinder one’s productivity. I was doing research!
Yeah, that’s a stretch.
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Inconvenient Justification]!
One cannot win wars without understanding their enemy. This is the basics of the basics!
Your insolence would normally be met with swift justice, but I shall show mercy today.
Now, it’s time to return.
R-Right…
Hmm, could she have…
She’s afraid of play most?/She seized it to play herself?
…I guess it really doesn’t matter.

Feinne’s Notes:
As noted, we could just get on with the Dive here, but what we’ll really do is head to Cass’ section instead.

But maybe that’s not what he did. Maybe he decided to help Cass instead.

Of course I did.
Thanks, but… Can you really solve these problems?
I’m not gonna do that… C’mon let’s go play outside.
H-Hey! What are you saying!?
If she comes back and my problems aren’t solved, I’ll be in deep trouble!
Don’t worry about it, I won’t let her.
…B-But…
Force her out/Study together
Argh, stop fidgeting around, and let’s go!
Whoa! H-hey, Delta!?
Hey Cass, why don’t we go over to that shore over there?
…Oh, don’t blame me for whatever happens, okay!?

Delta continued his philosophy of just sort of barging around doing whatever he felt like with total disregard for the situation. Which is actually not that bad of a strategy in some Dives.

It’s called an ocean. O-C-E-A-N. Don’t you understand the basics of this world? Is it because you don’t study?
Who cares about that!? Anyway, let’s go swimming! C’mon, get into your bathing suit.
No! Absolutely not!!
Why not!? There’s such a huge lake here, it’d be a crime not to swim!
The Enlightened Sovereign does not allow one to show more skin than necessary…
Wha-!? Who pries into people’s lives that much!?
Yes, well… It’s all for the betterment of this country. She says we’ll see the results in a few years.
This is studying how to swim/Just change and go swim
Now listen, Cass… This is studying. Studying how to swim. We’re not playing.
…Studying how to swim…?
Exactly! Imagine how bad it would be if you fell into a lake and didn’t know how to swim. That’s why we study.
Hmm… I see, well… I suppose in that case…
Alright! That’s the spirit!
…No, I can’t!
Wha-!?
If I can swim with my clothes on, then yeah…
Um, that’s actually a LOT harder than it looks. What am I talked about!? You’re too afraid of the Sovereign!
Of course I’m afraid! If I’m thrown away by the Sovereign, I couldn’t possibly live on my own.
Alright, how about we do this… H’raah!
Eeeeeeeeek! H-Hey, what’re you doing!?
Heh heh heh… Try and catch me if you’re sad!
Wait up!

Feinne’s Notes:
This next scene is actually optional, though you shouldn’t skip it because seriously.

They ran down towards the nearby cliffs.

* Pant pant *
You really don’t have a lot of stamina, do you? That’s what happens when you study all day.
Wha-!? You’re just a monster, that’s all…
So? Where are we…?
Dunno? I just started running, and, well… We ended up here!
I’ve never been here before… It’s so pretty…
Alright, it’s decided! This is going to be our secret base, starting today. OUR castle.
Our… Castle?
No one else can come here, no one will get in our way. A secret for you and me.
…Hehe, a secret base…? That actually sounds really lovely.
System Message: Obtained the thought gem [Secret Base for Two]!
Right!? Let’s come here every day! Without telling anyone…
…Yes, well… It seems a little scary, but if we keep it a secret, no one will find out, right?
Of course! It’ll be great! We’re pretty far in, and no one knows about it.
I don’t think they do… No one really leaves their village, so…
Even if they do, generally the Enlightened Sovereign is watching them.

Speaking of, Delta decided to try and get some idea what was even going on in this world.

She doesn’t trust us… Which is why she’s always monitoring, trying to find mistakes.
Heh, she really has some issues.
The Enlightened Sovereign believes that this lifestyle will help govern us.
There has to be other ways to do that, though.
…I think so, too.
Then, why don’t we tell her!? We can’t give up now, we have to see this through!
…It’s impossible. I’ve decided the best thing for me is to stay quiet and obey her.
Besides, now that we have a secret base, if we ever get stressed, we can come here and unwind, right?
…Cass…
We’re here, so we should swim!/Want to go back?
C’mon, we’re already here. Why don’t we go for a swim? Not like anyone’s gonna find out.
Y-Yeah… I’d love to swim, too, but… I can’t today!
What? If you wanna swim, go ahead and swim!
I-I can’t!
I need to go on a diet first…
Whaaa-!? Don’t even worry about that. You look plenty cute the way you are.
…!? B-But I can’t, really!
W-Why don’t we go back? The Enlightened Sovereign could come back any time.
Say, Delta…
Hm?
I want to come here tomorrow, too.
What’re you talking about? Of course we’re coming here tomorrow. We promised, right?
Yeah!

They returned to the castle to meet Kanon.

Yes, Enlightened Sovereign!
Now what…?
I have given the subject much thought, and have come to the realization, I must think of this nation’s future.
But in order to do that, I must solve the problem of a lack of an heir.
Hence, we will perform the ritual to summon the next ruler.
Let us go to the ritual grounds immediately. You two, accompany me.
That was sudden… I hope she’s not thinking of something reaaaaally bizarre again.
C’mon, she won’t forgive us again if we’re late. Let’s hurry!

Feinne’s Notes:
This next scene is where you’d get an Event Still if you’d agreed to be the father earlier. It’s also one of the scenes that gets MUCH more expensive, because Cass gets super pissed at you.

At first they thought they’d actually beaten her to the shrine.

…She’s not here.
Oh, but I am.

But as it turned out, she was just preparing for something.

It’s as I’ve said. We are now going to summon the next king.
No, I remember you saying that, but… What’s that have to do with the way you’re dressed right now?
It has everything to do with it. I must now take your DNA.
Huuuuh!?
Your DNA is adequate for the production of our next ruler… I have seen it.
Your strong character, and guts to resist my rule. How you do not waver in the face of confrontation…
I currently possess none of those qualities, and hence, the reason I need them in my heir.
When my diligent and honest DNA fuses with your strong genes…
The heir to this nation is sure to lead our citizens to enlightenment, maintaining balance in the world.
H-Huh…!? What!?
Cass …
Now, give in.
How the hell am I supposed to give in, just like that!?
Whaa!? What do you think you’re doing!?
That’s my line!? I’m not going to become your sacrificial lamb!
Cass! Let’s get out of here!
…Huh?
Don’t “Huh?” me! We’re running!
We can’t! Delta, you need to summon the next heir with the Enlightened Sovereign…
Are you seriously suggesting that…!?
…That’s…
Never mind! You’re coming!
Eeeeeeek!

They fled to the hidden area on the beach, which gave Delta a chance to discuss the situation with Cass.

They can’t chase us if we’ve come this far…
Cass, why didn’t you try to run away earlier!?
What the Enlightened Sovereign is trying to do, is clearly wrong…!
…Well, even if that’s the case, what she’s saying is true, so…
I think what YOU’RE saying is illogical!
Say, Cass… Do you really think it’s in your best interest to follow the Enlightened Sovereign?
…Th-That’s…
You really don’t believe in that, do you?
But, it’s okay! Because… It’s easier this way.
…Easier…?
Yes, it’s difficult, and at times, it’s painful, but… I’m never in so much pain that it’s unbearable…
The Enlightened Sovereign is a wise person. As long as we follow her, nothing unexpected will happen…
Resisting will only result in getting locked up. Thinking for ourselves would result in something worse…
So, we’re just better off, listening to her orders, and keeping this peaceful life intact.
Even that ritual, earlier…
I understand that the Enlightened Sovereign simply took a liking to you, but…
But, if it’s something she decided, we shouldn’t resist…
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Abandoned Life]!
Cass… Are you…?

And, frankly, to get pretty mad at her.

That’s the Cass that I like…
Delta…
Sorry… But I don’t know what else I can do. I’m just so used to this style of life…

When I was younger, this is how my father educated me…
I wasn’t allowed to talk back. I had to follow father’s orders, and nothing bad would happen to me.
That’s why, I think I still can’t break free of that way of thinking.
When there’s a lot of pressure, you start to think… “Oh, oh well, this person will decide for me.”
As long as you obey, you can’t make a mistake, and you don’t have to take responsibility, either. It’s easy.
But… What’s fun about a life like that?
Yeah, that’s what I’ve come to realize… When you invited me here.
A secret base. Isn’t it wonderful? It makes my heart race. I think that hasn’t changed, then and now.
At the same time, I can’t muster up the courage… Because no matter what I do. I’m pushed back. I’m afraid…
Don’t worry. You’re not alone. I’m by your side…
Let’s go talk to the Enlightened Sovereign. That we’re going to live how we want. Play when we want.
Okay!
It’s decided, then! This is making me happy, too… Now, I’ve got my first companion in this world!
Delta!
…Hm? What’s wrong? Still afraid?
No, it’s not that, I… I think I realized something very important from all this…
I can’t really say what it is just yet, but…
…Delta, thank you. For giving me so much courage.

They headed to the beach to confront Kanon.

Hey, I’m right here. Sovereign.

Casty! What is the meaning of this!? Why are you dressed so!?
And which mouth is this coming from!?
Silence! My garb is of tradition! It is for the ritual of the holy rite of succession!
But her! That lowborn is showing skin for the sake of it!
Delta… I hope you understand what a grave crime it is to escape during the ritual.

You shall be executed, but only after the ritual is complete…
Huh!? What the hell are you saying!? Sorry, but I’m not going through with this. Maybe if you were Cass…!
W-Wha? How dare you…!
H-Hey, Delta!!
Well, it’s not like you actually like me, right? Sovereign?
Th-That’s-!!
Oh? You mean you do?
…No, this is but a ritual. I perform it because it’s necessary… Not because my heart tells me so.
All the more reason I’d rather do it with Cass, then.
Impossible! Do you really think I would allow that to happen!?

It’s funny how Cass sees Kanon, given how similar some of their problems really are.

Toy Installer!
Here it comes… drat monster made of toys!
I will no longer hold back. Install everyone you see before you!!
Why…!? How can you still be alive!?
Easy. This is just a materialization of your thoughts, right? I guess my thoughts were just… Stronger?
That’s… Impossible!!
Hey, Cass…
Let’s play with Toy Installer!/Let’s run!
Let’s play with the Toy Installer!
…Huuh? W-Wait a second!!
…!?
This thing really is made up of toys!
Whoa! This is the love simulation game I wanted to check out, “Hyper-Armored Fleet: Gargan”!
MINE!
Wha-!? Delta… What do you think you’re doing!
Cass, this is amazing! This thing is made out of everything I’ve always wanted! Let’s take ‘em!
Huuuh!? But…
…Oh my gosh! This is the Tech-ma Compact Wave Beam Deluxe!
I’ve always wanted this!

Making a weapon out of toys does have this potential flaw.

Hey, it’s the Galaxy Stick. I wanted to try using thing once…
…!? Wha…?
This is the Nyurokian Family House! And, it’s even got all the furniture, too!
Hey, it’s a Buckle-ball!
It’s the little talking bird, Chunbi!
Look, Atelier Sarly!
Bearadon!
Cease this! Immediately!
Aww, you wanna play too? Sovereign?
That’s not true! How dare you mock my weapon of punishment!!
Why don’t you just be honest with yourself, Miss Sovereign?
I figured it out… The reason you can’t accept all these toys. Why you want to destroy them.
…!?
In reality, YOU’RE the one who wants to play with these toys the most, aren’t you!?
But to you, that’s unacceptable. That’s why you tried to eliminate “playing” all together! To forget…
I’m sure the same goes for killing the men, and why you don’t let people show their skin…

Anyway, Delta got rather to the point.

…That’s not… True!
Really? Then, you have no objections to me playing with Cass, right? Cass, let’s play Atelier Sarly together!
O-Okay.

Whoa, this sure is fun… Let’s start by crafting this item…
Oh, you idiot! You’ve got to make this one first, or you’re not gonna finish before the assignment’s deadline!
O-Oh, yeah… Whoa! Check it out! Rare event!
W-Why…
…Why YOU!
What?

…L-Let me join, too. Please.
System Message: Obtained the thought gem [Cute True Feelings]!
Hah, why didn’t you just say so from the beginning! Here, come take a seat. Let’s play together.
This is REALLY fun! Though, I think it’s a little too difficult for Delta…
Not true!
…I finally said it… Was this really the right thing…?

Fortunately for him, Kanon kind of likes people to be huge jerks to her.

Delta… You’re more sadistic than I thought. You were enjoying that conversation more than you should.
Doesn’t it just set your heart on fire? Pulling the truth out of someone with pride?
* Sigh * I suppose nothing can be done about this personality… Thankfully, it came in handy this time, but…
Hey, the Embrace Role! That’s great.
Yes, yes, you seem quite satisfied. Now, please go finish this world.

And that about wrapped up another Dive.

This all seems rather formal…
But I owe everyone, for making me realize other aspects in life that matter so much.
I’ve been raised in a very stern and rigid system. Even now, I strive for perfection with the Sharl…
Which is exactly why I was so afraid of falling victim to corruption.
True, it may still take some time to change, completely… But the seeds have been planted.
From now on, I want to take a step back, and rest when we can rest.
That’s a great idea! You should try living once in a while!
And, you should try being serious for once in your life, too, Delta.
Whoa there! I think it’s time you two opened that door. Don’t you think so? Of course you do!
Wait…! I wish to give this to you…
It may look like a collection of toys, but the thoughts within it are quite strong. I’m sure it will be of use.
Thank you.
Now, let’s open this door!
Yes.
I give the two of you…

Just about done here.

Whew, I guess that settles that.
…Have you noticed something?
Whoa!? Where did you come from!?
It seems like Cass has undergone quite the transformation on the inside.
…!?

There, now it’s really time to go to sleep. You’re never going to feel better if you stay up all night.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: The Eighth Dimensional

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Poor Kanon is just so repressed. This is another in the long line of "hey don't make people to be tools, assholes" things that we've seen. It's a good thing that Kanon didn't go crazy and try to blow up the planet... wait, poo poo.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tone Arlico. Atelier Sarlie.
:frogout:

Poor Kanon got a secular redwood tree surgically implanted by the Chimon, didn't she?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Been awhile since we had some trivia, let's kick some up:

Mute Tier:

He was the leader of the Grand Bell.

Reyvateil Origins wear this elaborate piece of clothing.

This sort of monster patrolled the Grathnode Inferia between Platina and the lower portions of Ar Tonelico.

This character sang EXEC_Z.

Mir was sealed in this part of Ar Tonelico.

Misha Tier:

Aurica was from this village. What happened to it, by the way?

Shurelia likes these animals.

Akane had a cute little companion in Ar Tonelico Qoga. What was its name, and what sort of thing was it?

Mir Tier:

Once again, here is a section of hymmnos. What song is it from? And what album was it actually on? Fair warning, this one is pretty rough. And remember, ________ means a reference to the song's name is being made.

Was yea ra melanas/melenas nyanyas nyanyas/ Pe! Pe! _______!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Feinne posted:

Mute Tier:

What is Linkage?

Feinne posted:

Mir Tier:

Once again, here is a section of hymmnos. What song is it from? And what album was it actually on? Fair warning, this one is pretty rough. And remember, ________ means a reference to the song's name is being made.

Isn't this Cloche's Pepen Song Magic?

e: quoteblockfix

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Mute Tier:

He was the leader of the Grand Bell. Alfman

Misha Tier:

Aurica was from this village. What happened to it, by the way? Skuwat Village, it was destroyed in a battle between Tenba and the Teru

Mir Tier:

Pepen's song, I'm pretty sure the expanded version isn't in the game proper and was released separately.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Mute Tier:
He was the leader of the Grand Bell.
That guy with the lolipop gun.

Linkage

This sort of monster patrolled the Grathnode Inferia between Platina and the lower portions of Ar Tonelico.
Some sort of dragon

Reisha

Mir was sealed in this part of Ar Tonelico.
Altar of Apostles

Misha Tier:

Aurica was from this village. What happened to it, by the way?
Skuwaat Village, it got burnt to the ground by one Bourne Raide

Shurelia likes these animals.
Rude! Maid-Bots are not animals!

Akane had a cute little companion in Ar Tonelico Qoga. What was its name, and what sort of thing was it?
I don't remember its name but it was an antibody and strongly reminded me of Mieu from Tales of the Abyss for some reason.

Mir Tier:

Cloche's penguin red magic from the Blue Hymnnos collection

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

All three of you are right as to what the song is, but it's not on AT2 Side Blue. As a hint, it was on an album showcasing a rather unusual musical instrument.

I think the hint is warranted because I can't imagine I'm in very numerous company with respect to owning a copy of it.

Also if you are interested in the Vita version of this game and like having actual physical copies of things make sure you head over to NISA's store and order one, because apparently it's otherwise PSN only.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 2, 2015

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Feinne posted:

All three of you are right as to what the song is, but it's not on AT2 Side Blue. As a hint, it was on an album showcasing a rather unusual musical instrument.

The Hymmnos Orgel Collection?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yes indeed, it's on Kara*Cola.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Feinne posted:

Richa. Or Richaryosha, if we're being fancy.

quote:

wow, it's pretty rude to refer to Finnel as "it"

It was named Kukuro, and it was an Antibody: judging by its appearance, it's presumably related to the Doll-type antibodies.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

You all feeling better? Good, then let’s get back to the story proper. Delta and Cass had just heard the Sharl had reawakened. Before they rushed back to Felion, they informed Sarly of what was going on.

Seriously?
They don’t sound like they’re joking. It sounds like Felion is about to be attacked.
Do you know anything about this, Doctor?
Doctor Leolm: Hm… I do not.
So there are things the Doctor doesn’t know.
Doctor Leolm: Of course. I’m only human, after all.
Even so, trouble certainly seems to follow you. I will help in whatever way I can.
The Doctor and I will see what information we can turn up. You two head back to Felion.
Got it.
You be careful too, Sarly!
Yeah.

The Barrier was open when they arrived.

No… How?!
We have to hurry!
Yeah!

It looks like the Sharl really did wake up… Why?
Maybe Nay knows something.
yeah, we should hurry to PLASMA headquarters.

Things were rather chaotic at headquarters.

Woman: Why are the Sharl attacking us again!? I thought you took care of them!
PLASMA Troop: Please, calm down! It’s dangerous here! You need to return to your homes! Don’t go outside!
Man: Are you insane?! The Sharl are inside the city! How are we supposed to get home?!
PLASMA Troop: P-Please, calm down!
They’re losing it!
Is Nay alright?!
PLAMSA Troop: Please, try to stay calm!
Man: How can we stay calm?! Don’t you see what’s going on!?

Things got even worse just about then, as the whole room began to shake.

Man: Aaah! We’re all going to die!
What was that?!
PLASMA Troop: Ms. Casty, Mr. Delta!
You’re from PLASMA! What happened?!
PLASMA Troop: I-It was a monster!
A monster…?
PLASMA Troop: It attacked Felion, then headed toward the Residential District… Then the Sharl appeared!
Why would… What’s in the Residential District?!
…Isn’t that where Prim’s locked up?
No way… Did she do this?!
PLASMA Troop: The Prime Minister headed that way with the Genomis, but we’ve lost contact!
Delta!
Right! Let’s go!

A nightmare awaited them.

Delta Lantanoil…!
Are you okay?
Yes… But the situation is hardly favorable. Look…
What is that…?
Is that…a human?
It’s an early prototype of the being that will return me to my world.
I suppose you could call it an 8th Dimensional. It’s still incomplete, though.
8th Dimensional…?
One who can Overlook this world, the 7th Dimension, to guide me to my rightful place.
…That’s why they’re called 8th Dimensionals.
What the hell are you talking about…?
I don’t like explaining things to idiots. Maybe you’ll understand it better this way…
They are the updated version of humanity, with much greater souls than yours.
A…new humanity?

Since nobody would ever accuse me of being a hero, let me give some free advice on this subject. Once someone’s started talking like this, stop holding back like you’re going to just convince them to stop being crazy.

PLASMA Troop A: Prime Minister! The Sharl are attacking!
Hold them back!
Nelo! Please, stop this!
No. After all, it’s not like you’d step aside if our positions were reversed, would you?
That’s…
Delta Lantanoil, go secure the Master Sharl!
Right! On it!
I won’t let you.
Play with them for a little while.
Cass, be careful!

They were forced to engage the 8th Dimensional.

Boss Battle: The 8th Dimensional

Video- “Eighth Dimensional”

Watch

Okay, this thing is an rear end in a top hat, and a big part of why I’d suggest doing Ion’s side first (as we get the ability to synthesize a lot of really useful equipment and healing items there). On Hard it gets to hold three attacks even if you Break it (and gets even more if you don’t) and even if you Defend them all depending on which ones it chooses to use you can easily lose a whole Barrier. Barrier Heal items are a must, either from Sarly or ideally again Kanon (she has several that are both a large regular heal and a small Barrier heal, meaning they can push you back up to the top of the prior Barrier). It’s also helpful to synthesize one of the new items that Sarly had available in Quanturv, an RNA which gives you an extra Item usage every turn. As long as you can keep your health stable she’ll eventually fall, she’s just really mean if you’re not ready to rush right into a boss fight. She can summon some weak enemies to assist her at lower health, but they’re not really a threat.

Defying all odds, they defeated it.

She’ll visit you again soon. I hope you’re more accepting this time.
poo poo! Stop!
PLASMA Troop B: Prime Minister, there’re just too many Sharl! We can’t hold them much longer!
Rrrgh…
I doubt we’ll meet again, so I’ll say this now.
Farewell.
Prim! Nelo!

With no way to pursue Nelo, they withdrew to headquarters to discuss their next move.

Delta… Know your place.
I do not know. I have never seen such a thing before.
Nelo called it an 8th Dimensional. They might have come from another world, like Ion and Nelo.
There was something really weird about it. It didn’t even seem like it could talk.
8th Dimensionals…
Do you know something?
No…
PLASMA Troop: Your Majesty, I apologize for interrupting, but what should we do about the Master Sharl?
Since she escaped, Sharl activity has been on the rise.
With the Barrier like it is, we couldn’t hold them off if they attack en masse.
Your Majesty, could you control them again with your song?
We do not possess any reserve ampoules of their Genetic Spectrum.
Also… That song cannot be sung multiple times.
…What?

Things were, needless to say, not looking good.

PLASMA Troop: …We’re very sorry.
If it had only been the 8th Dimensional, we could have fought it off…
But now that the Master Sharl has escaped, it probably wouldn’t attack us alone…
…Things are looking pretty bad, aren’t they.

Dammit… If we’d just killed it when it was alone!
PLASMA Troop B: How did it enter the confinement room so easily?
I don’t know. We just don’t have enough information.

The Prime Minister seemed to know a bit more about the 8th Dimensional than he’d initially revealed.

What?
Speak.
…The monster, the 8th Dimensional, was originally a being called a “Seer.”
It is a human that has surpassed humanity. The Genomirai Church researched them some time ago.
It has supernatural abilities, and is greater than us both mentally and physically.
Tearing open the Barrier would be a simple thing for a creature like that.
How do you know all this…?
While investigating the Church we were able to decrypt a Church document containing this information.
Did you learn anything else?
Apparently it is created through Song Magic.
So…if we can stop the song that made it, we can stop that thing?
Yes…that seems likely.
Then I’ll stop it. Do you know where it’s being sung right now?

He even had an idea where they could find it again.

The Isolation District…
Yes. Supposedly it’s been abandoned since a horrible accident.
Why do you think it’s there?
Records show the Genomirai Church spent a good deal of time in the Isolation District.
I fear it’s likely they were conducting research on the Seer in that area.
…There may be merit to further investigation.
However, it would be far more dangerous than searching the Church’s Inner Sanctum.
It would be best to deploy a large force to conduct the investigation.
I trust I can leave the selection of personnel to you?
Of course.
But…if you dispatch PLASMA, then Felion’s defenses…
Will be undermanned, yes, but any defense would be pointless against this “Seer.”
You saw this in the Residential District, did you not?
…Yeah, you’re right.
Then gather the troops and stop the Seer’s song in the Isolation District. Return as soon as you’re finished.
Delta. Casty. We will be counting on you.
Understood!
Very well, I shall choose the Genomis for the mission at once.

Cass decided to consider a very important question with Delta afterwards.

About what?
About this Seer. If he had decrypted a document, shouldn’t he have told us about it right away?
Instead he kept it quiet until now. That seems a little suspicious…
…Really?
Yes, really. But we’ve got more important things to do at the moment. Let’s go.
We need to stop the Seer’s song, and bring Prim and Nelo back with us!

…Delta?

Delta, for his part, was acting a bit odd.

Are you worried about Nelo?
Huh? Un, no, not really. I mean, I know who she is…
She’s always wanted to go home. I thought we’d gotten to be friends, but I guess I was wrong…
Nelo…

Hey, Delta?

Hey! Are you even listening to me?!
Huh? O-Oh, sorry. Did you say something?
Did I what…? You were the one who asked me a question!
I did…? S-Sorry, I guess I was kind of spacing out there.
Pull yourself together… Look, we don’t have a lot of time. Let’s get moving.
R-Right, yeah. To the Isolation District.

That’s where we’re going to stop tonight I think. Get some rest, kids.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: Interlude: The Gale and the Memories

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Next update will be a quick wrapup of the couple of Nay and Sarly scenes we can get right now, they should all fit in one update. There will also be a couple of syntheses with Sarly that are relevant to the proceedings, because they are for items to try and restore Delta's memory.

Also fun trivia if you didn't watch the video, despite what Delta says the 8th Dimensional absolutely does talk during the fight.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That choice window looks very suspicious.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Earthes is secretly also Delta.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah poo poo's about to get weird on the Delta side.

EDIT: I was considering trying to get the update out tonight, but I don't actually have the full next plot update recorded yet so I probably won't. I'm still a bit sick.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 4, 2015

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Prims is being unusually quite. Usually she loves to talk to her mommy and daddy.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Slight update in the cast, since I totally misremembered which character actually sings Noriko Mitose's song. Speaking of we've got two new performances coming in the next two plot updates, which I just got in the can. Since I've got a bit ahead again, if I can work the time we might well have an update every day this weekend.

My update schedule might become less regular for a while after Wednesday next week depending on how much actual paying work materializes from a meeting I've got coming up.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Hey kids! Oh, look how big you’ve all gotten! What? Spica? Oh, well, she said she was supposed to babysit but had something come up at the last minute and asked if I could swing by. And, well, she is funding my tour and all. Plus, I get to hang out with my very favorite fans! So, your mom left some kind of story? Oh, hah, this one. Yeah, I’ve heard this one too. So, Delta and Cass dropped in on Nay after their fight with that orange spiky lady.

N-Nay, why are you here!?
What do you mean? This is my restaurant.
…What?
Anyway, I’ll be here running things, so let me know if you need anything.
Just don’t stay too long. You don’t have time to be slacking off right now.
The fate of Felion is in your hands. We’re all counting on you!
Just leave it to us.
Uh, Nay, why are you working here while all of…this is going on?
Don’t you know it’s not safe in the city anymore?
Yes, and that’s exactly why I want to stay open.
Most of the citizens have taken shelter, but there are still a few left out.
Don’t you think there should still be at least one place where they can relax?
Right now I think this city needs at least a little glimmer of hope.
Although… I never knew when I’ll be serving my last dish.
Devotion and service, down to every last person.
That’s the motto for Nay au Francais.
Nay…
…You remember this is still MY restaurant, right?

Alright, so, what’s next? Hmm, okay, so note here says the rest of this happened at some indistinct time, because they probably didn’t just kill a bunch of time right when there was something urgent to take care of. I don’t really know about that, I seem to recall that happened quite a bit back in the day.

Oh, it's just you guys.
Well, that wasn't very nice. Here we are to help you and everything.
Ahaha, sorry. I was just finishing up, so go ahead and make yourselves at home.
How's that helping, exactly?
I'll go find some customers outside. I wouldn't want all this prep to go to waste.
You don't have to try TOO hard, you know? I want you to relax once in a while, too.
Whew... I think that should do it.
Great work. Let me get something nice and cold to drink.
Let's wait 'til Cass gets back. We wouldn't want to jump the gun on her.
Aww, what a little gentleman, waiting for her... I guess you're maturing a little every day, hm?
Uhh, I think I've matured quite a while ago...
But you don't seem to be getting any closer to Cass.
Why is that so important? That has nothing to do with my maturity.
Well, you're an adult, and she's one... Um, despite how she looks.
So, it's a little frustrating watching the two of you dance around each other.
...Why not give in and get married? Cut the crap.

Funny story, as I recall those were the exact words your mother used when she got so sick of us bugging her about it that she insisted she and your father actually get married.

Hey, it might do us all a little good.
Just imagine it. You of all people, kneeling down in front of her... Hahaha!
"Cass, let's just cut the crap and get married. What do you say?"
I'm sure a massive slap would not be far behind.
I wonder about that... Well, then, how do you imagine it?
Well, I would get right down to business... And I wouldn't use words like "cutting crap" either.
...Isn't that boring?
Well, it's not really about being interesting, is it?
Of course it is! If it's not memorable, it'll just be another day.
What would you do with a memory like that!?
...So, after your discussion, you completed a recipe... RIGHT?
You know, it's the strangest thing. I don't know how that conversation led to making a recipe...
Hmm, well, while we were talking, it made me realize how difficult love really is.
But, I'm sure it's not just me who feels that way.
So, I've decided to create a menu to cheer on children.
Cheer? How?
Well, you'll just have to wait and find out. I mean, I made this on a whim, after all.
The recipe for romance, as written by Nay, the one who suggested getting married to cut the crap...
...I don't think we should get our hopes up.
Romance recipes are all about feeling!
I think it's a problem if that's ALL you have.
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Romance is not Easy]!

We never did convince her to actually wear white, though. Not that black doesn’t look good on her.

Alright! Leave this part to me!
It's been a while since I've worked on the floor.
Whew... Finally, time for a breather.
Hehe, you seem pretty tired.
What, you mean you're okay, Cass?
Remember I used to take the floor when it was still your restaurant?
Compared to peak hours then, this is nothing...
You're pretty tough. At any rate, great work, guys.
Yeah, you too, Delta.
Welp, I guess that should do it... We should be on our-
On second thought, I'm kinda tired. Maybe we can swing by the inn for some shut-eye?
It's way too early for that.
Oh, just once in a while! It's important to relax, too, you know.
Hmm... Well, how about after we get a room, you go shopping with me?
It's not every day I get to shop for cute clothes.

Nay kind of did have a point, those kids really should have cut the crap. All that dancing around each other stuff is super tiresome.

C'mon, it's no skin off your back. And, when you get the shop back, I promise I'll help you... Please?
Heh, so it's an investment? You're on.
Then we have a plan.
Um, great work today, guys?
Hey Nay. Did you finish washing the dishes already?
Finally... But with that many customers, it's a pain to cook and clean up.
But, that's what you enjoy, right?
Heh, you're catching on fast.
At any rate, I think I can take care of the rest... You two can get outta here.
Alright. I'll catch you later.
Buh-bye, Nay.
You be careful...
They can't deny they're enjoying themselves...

You know it occurs to me I owe you all a present or two since I was by last.

Um, NOT my birthday.
In that case, I'll settle for Cass. Happy birthday! For your present, I'm giving you my smile.
It's not mine, either.
Argh, isn't there anything we can celebrate? I've got an awesome recipe I want to share!
What? Does it make a birthday cake or something?
Pfft, that's so pedestrian. Who would want to eat something like that?
What I've made today will turn a party into a par-tay!
And, why are you NOT trying to hone your cooking?
What are you talking about? What restaurant survives on the food alone? That is SO last decade.
First of all, we're not one of those uptight restaurants. I'm trying to have fun and also serve good food!
And, that's the restaurant motto.
This is the first time I'm hearing it...
I thought you would notice, even without me telling you, but... I guess it was too much for you, Delta.

I know, how about you all swing by the concert later? Maybe I can even bug your mom into singing her song with me.

Well, that doesn't really matter. Here, take this recipe.
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [How to Throw a Party]!
How to throw a party... Hmm, this might actually be a really great idea.
How, exactly!?
You don't get it? Think about the parents who bring in children for their birthdays.
If you don't have party-specific items, or extra service, there's not much incentive for your restaurant.
You can also use this for New Year's parties, or weddings... There are options for room rentals, too!
I see... That's actually a really good service.
Nay, that's a great idea! With this, we can rake in even more revenue! I'm sure of it.
Ahahaha! More praise! MORE!
...P-Parties? Are those really that frequent?

Only don’t tell her that beforehand or she won’t show.

What's the matter? You seem down...
Y-You're here!?
Well, yeah... I guess you're finally giving in to the exhaustion, eh?
Want me to go get Cass? She's out getting customers, but I think you could use a hand here...
No, I'm fine. It's not that I'm tired or anything...
Really? Because it sure seems like you are...
Wait, don't tell me you're tired of this restaurant or something. Am I right?
Impossible. I'm finally getting used to operating it, so why would I get bored?
But maybe... Maybe it's because I'm used to it, that I've begun to think...
I wouldn't mind listening.
Hm? Well...
Heh, I suppose there's no point in bottling it up. Maybe it'll help me if I told you everything...
But you have to promise to keep this a secret from Cass.
I know, I know. So, what's up?
Running the restaurant is really fun, I admit.
Then again, I wonder sometimes... Would it have been more fun to go with you guys...
You? With us?

This part’s kind of bringing back some bad memories of when I had to stay behind for a bit back during our big adventure. It’s not exactly fun times.

The store's fun, too, but don't you think it's reasonable for me to want to fight enemies outside of town?
...Yeah, considering your personality, I think you're incapable of staying in one place for too long.
Besides, this is a hunch, but you really don't like the responsibilities of being an Empress, do you?
It's not something I can really say I like or don't like...
But, frankly, it's a little uptight for me. I've wanted to shout into a pillow "I WANNA QUIT!" Hehe.
...But, you haven't, right?
It's the end of the world if the person on top says something like that. I couldn't, even if I wanted to.
The most I can do is tell you what's on my mind... Like this.
Escaping from headquarters in disguise and playing around Felion is about the most I can get away with.
...I see.
I suppose it would be difficult for you to leave Felion in the event an emergency...
You've always gotta be within running distance of PLASMA HQ.
Exactly...
...That said, there's no need for me to go to HQ every day anymore, so that's such a relief...
Really?
Yeah, thanks to this restaurant.
Man: Hello, Nay... Give me something to pick me up!
Welcome, welcome! Heh, comin' right up, boss. This packs a huge kick, you won't know what hit you!
...Um, you should really listen to your customers.

Anyway, we’re almost done with Nay’s section of this here.

Well, if it were, I don't think anyone would have a hard time opening a restaurant.
But, cooking is really just combining certain ingredients in a certain order, right?
Which means, there should be almost infinite possibilities... Don't you think I'd be able to come up with one?
When you put it that way... I suppose it makes sense.
Right? You think so, too?
But, the fact that I can't come up with anything...
This isn't good...
...Wait a sec-
That's right... I've got it!
What? What? You thought of something?
Yeah, I was eating at a food cart the other day, and the old man said...
I think you know the answer to this, too, Nay...
"What do you deal when you're in trouble?"
Umm, what do I deal...?
Oh, I think you're right! I've got it!

Though we’ve still got a lot to go.

Awesome. New recipe complete!
That's great! I didn't think you'd finish it so soon!
U-Uhh, you guys seem to be having a great time... Are you sure you're inventing new menu items?
Heh heh heh... When you're in trouble, what else are you gonna do?
??
Oh, you don't know...? It's obvious...
Flour!!
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [The Power of Sham Flour]!
...Oh yeah, I think the old man who runs the skewer cart said something like that...
Wha-!? A skewer cart!? But that has nothing to do with flour...
I'm sure he's had to rely on flour in the past... Making baked goods, or okonomiyaki...
He said he's been in business for 40 years...
Then, he was probably in trouble 41 years ago... Probably...
Argh, who cares about that old man!
More importantly, I've whipped up a recipe I'm pretty proud of. You can stay excited for the final product.

Wow, we still have a lot to go. How about we go make a snack real quick, then get back to this?

Feinne's Notes:
This update ended up being more than slightly too long, so I split it into one for Nay and one for Sarly. The second part is longer, and follows directly after this.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Alright, let's get back to it. So it says here Sarly’s section needs to start with a story about one way they tried to bring Delta’s memories back.

Okay, installation of the device is finished. Delta, wake up.
Hm, o-oh... How long was I sleeping?
About three hours... Isn't it a problem that it takes that long to install?
I'm trying to restore someone's memories here. It's only natural that it would take a long time.
Anyway, let's go over what we're going to do one more time.
This is a machine called the Memory Unlocker. First, it searches for places where memories are sealed.
Yeah, I remember. After it finds them, it breaks those seals and restores memories, right?
That's right. The sealed memories show up on the monitor here.
In other words, it also lets you check your memories with your own eyes.
That's a considerate design...
So this will finally bring Delta's memories back.
I can't guarantee that. The human brain is extremely complicated, and much is still unknown about it.
Still, this is worth trying. Alright, start it up!
Are you really sure about this? It's possible that memories you don't want to remember will surface.
Further, the memories will be displayed on this monitor, so we'll see them as well. Still okay?
Yeah, you're both working really hard to bring back my memories, after all.
I trust both of you. I won't regret it, no matter what you see.
Delta...
I understand... Then I'll start it up.

I can tell you what I’d have killed for something like this back in the day.

..So how long will this take?
It already found one.
That seems a little too quick!
That's probably because the number of sealed memories is quite large in your case, Delta.
It's easy to find one because they're countless in number. Anyway... I'll break the seal.
...Woah!?
Did you remember something!?
Gah!? W-wait a second!! I'm remembering a pretty dangerous memory...
Sarly, is there something on the monitor!?
S-stop, don't look!!
...E-eek!!
This is... You're looking up at Cass from below as she walks up stairs.
And this is a recent memory... I see, so Cass still wears Nyuroki panties.
I-I wasn't peeking, okay!? Cass was walking ahead of me, and I just happened to...
You pervert!!
OWWW!!
It seems this was the wrong memory. I'll try breaking the next seal.
GAH!?
...S-stop, stop stop stop, wait a second! Sarly, cut the power, hurry!!
Wait, i-is that my underwear!? Why do you have my underwear, Delta!?
Because you left it lying around at the inn! I picked it up wondering what it was, and they were your...
GAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!
This is... I see what's going on. I'll try it just one more time.
W-wait a minute! You seem to be doing this for another reason now...

I’m just saying, at least Delta actually had a reason for losing his memories. Oh, right, she hasn’t gotten that far yet. Just forget I said anything.

!?
W-w-w-w-w-wha... W-what is this...
It seems to be a memory of Cass holding Delta as he's sleeping...
I guess you two have gone a lot further than I thought?
That's wrong!! When we were staying at the inn, Cass got in my bed while half asleep and...
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Forget that, FORGET IT NOW!!
I-I didn't do anything! I just picked you up carefully so you wouldn't wake up, and put you back in your bed...
GYAAAH!!
O-ouch... I hit you so much, my hand is starting to hurt...
And I... Can't feel anything in my face.
It's just as I thought. I understand why memories of the past aren't being found.
In the human brain, there are countless memories that we wish to keep secret. More than we realize.
Secrets become sealed memories. In order to open them, we need to start with the most recent memories.
So you mean it's impossible to reach memories of the distant past?
It could be possible if we repeat this hundreds, thousands, or possibly tens of thousands of times...
Look what happened with only three times. That would be a death sentence for me...
That's just how it is... It appears I need to improve this somehow.
She was enjoying that a bit too much, I think.

They're still fragments, really... I can't remember anything too far back.
I see... Well, I was hoping the effects of the memory unlocker would begin to show.
The fact that you're asking that, though... Does this mean you have a new recipe to help his memory?
At first, I was thinking of making that, but I changed my mind and made something else.
Anyway, let's continue this conversation after we talk about the recipe.
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Let's Invent Something in our Heads]!
Invent something... In your head? That sounds dangerous.
Well, the resulting items do, in fact, tinker with the brain, so I can't guarantee its safety.
Of course, if I determine it's too dangerous upon inception, I will review the products.
We're really counting on you here. I mean, since there's no way for US to tell if something's dangerous...
But all that aside, do you think you could explain something...?
How did a device to regain Delta's memory turn into ways to invent things in your head?
Hmm... As you two are aware, there's still a lot we don't know about the human brain.

Always need to watch out for science types, they can be a bit weird.

True, but that's all we know... What it does.
As Delta has proven to us, there's no solution for people who have lost their memories.
Even if we know where the memories are stored, we can't recall or seal memories on demand.
Try to remember when you used the memory unlocker.
Yeah... That was horrible...
S-Sorry! Maybe I hit you a few too many times...
So, with experiences like those, I thought it best we revisit the memory unlocker after I understand the brain.
Maybe you lost some faith in me due to the previous mistake, but I do put a lot of thought into my inventions.
I know that... Otherwise, I wouldn't trust you with my memories.
Really, I've got high hopes for you. And, if you need anything, all you have to do is ask.
Oh? I just have to ask...? Well, would you be willing to let me expose your brain, and examine the insides of...
Whoooooa there! That, I can't do...
Haha, I was kidding.
It doesn't sound like a joke when you say it, Sarly.

This is assuming they’re not just straight up crazy and evil. Also gotta watch for that.

I told you. If you're thinking that hard about it, you should just buy it.
I can't buy things impulsively like that. Besides, look at our lifestyle... It'd become more baggage.
Why don't you just leave it at home every time you buy something?
Why would I do something like that?
I'm not entirely sure what it is you two are discussing... But do you have to have that conversation here?
No, not really... I just thought of it right now. What are you going to do!?
I have no idea what you're regretting, so it's hard to be convinced.
Clothes! New clothes! Oh, it was so cute...
Was it really that lovely? Did they take measures to increase its defenses with tightly woven textiles?
Why is that the first thing you think of!? No, it was a cute dress, alright?
It had a really nice silhouette, so just wearing it made you feel more mature.
Is that really how this works?
Yes. Yes, it is... Don't you ever wear clothing like that?
I personally don't wear items that don't suit me.
Have you ever tried one on?
Nope.
Then, how will you know it doesn't suit you!?
Easy. The moment she said silhouette, I knew it wasn't a fit for me.
Before I adopted my humanoid form, I was rather weak, and quite skinny...
Ah, that's right...

Man this story is hitting all the wrong points, isn’t it? Did I ever show you pictures of what I looked like for a while after my Song was stolen? I made Sarly look practically ancient.

Huh... So you actually HAVE given it some thought, then.
But, you do want to try it on, right?
What!? You do!?
If you don't wear things that don't suit you... By that logic, you'd wear something that you find cute, right?
And, if you really don't want to try something on, I'm sure you would've said so by now.
...Well, yes... I suppose I would like to try it on...
In the latest issue of that magazine you gave me, I saw a photo of a woman wearing a black dress.
And it, um... I thought I'd look pretty good if I wore something like that.
Wait a sec-! You mean you bought the latest issue!? Wow... I didn't think you'd like the magazine that much...
I already told you before that I did!
Well, yes, but... You also mentioned it would help you in your research, right?
That still hasn't changed.
Maybe it's because it's not my first time anymore... That I'm actually thinking about other clothes.
And, accessories?
I still do not understand those. It seems they would just get in my way...
Yes, well... I suppose it's a step in the right direction that you're even interested in clothes.
I wonder what exactly happened inside that brain of yours...
...I'm an adult, too, you know? I thought I should learn a thing about how adults dress. Just in case...
In case of what!?
Well, you know... In case... Um, a friend you thought was dead suddenly appears on your doorstep...

…And then this. Okay, some real advice. It’s never good to just wait for someone else to show up to start living your life.

Who said anything about Shirotaka!? He's dead as a doornail! I've got other friends besides him, you know!
Yes yes, of course you do. But... I do hope Shirotaka is still alive, too...
Don't worry! We managed to survive somehow, so I'm sure this Shirotaka is...!
...The odds are not in our favor, however... Since we still haven't found him.
...A-Anyway! If you're preparing for that chance, then all the more reason you can't hesitate!
But, I don't think it's good practice to decide if something suits or doesn't suit you before trying it on.
No, but... This is something that's obviously not going to fit me...
Even if you think so! It's not too late to say that AFTER you've tried it on, right?
Besides... For all you know, it could really really suit you, too! That's why you HAVE to try things on.
I don't really trust your judgment, so how about we go to a boutique together next time, yes?
...D-Do you really think it'll suit me?
That's what we're going to find out, right?
Besides... Just finding clothes that suit you is a part of the enjoyment.
I see... Okay, I think I understand.
I wonder if this day will ever come...

You can’t seize the future if you’re stuck waiting for the past to show up and change things.

Oh? Did something happen?
I just finished a new recipe to bring back Delta's memories.
Whoa! You've completed a version 2.0?
I thought it was going to take you a little while longer, but... Stranger things have happened, I guess.
Yeah, anyway... Here's the recipe.
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Operation Delta: Pt.2]!
Hmm... It looks a lot simpler than the recipe you gave us last time?
That's a good point. It lacks that high-tech-y vibe the last one had...
There's no point in repeating what you know doesn't work... So I took a different approach this time.
But you've never built this before, right?
I'm sure it'll make something different.
Now, I need to go back to my shopping cart-
Huh? What's that?
Oh, no... Nothing.
Anyway, just remember it'll produce something completely different from last time, okay?
I get that part, but why am I suddenly overcome with a sense of fear?
Don't worry, I don't think it will kill you or anything...
You don't think!?

Hah, look how serious I’m getting. So, they came up with another way to try and bring back Delta’s memories.

...Please, stop.
We haven't even started yet, why do you want to stop?
Would you be okay if you were strapped to a shopping cart with a jet engine attached to it?
Of course I wouldn't be okay with that. I'd definitely refuse.
Then let me go!!
Okay Delta, prepare for departure. Have a pleasant trip.
Hey! Please, sto-.... DWAAAAAAAAH!?
Wow, that's really fast... I can't even see him anymore.
You can't hold back anything with shock therapy. You need to be thorough if you're going to do it.
I know, but... Is that thing really safe? If it tipped over or something, you could get really hurt.
You shouldn't think that's just an ordinary shopping cart with a jet engine attached.
That cart contains systems to maintain balance so it doesn't tip over, and runs along a predefined course.
In other words, that shopping cart delivers shock to the passenger both safely and reliably.

This one worked out for him just as well as the first.

I set it to go through a rocky riverbed, along the edge of a cliff, and jump across the roofs of houses.
I investigated the most shocking course possible around here, and that was really the best option.
I-is that really okay? Delta isn't going to die, is he!?
You worry too much... Look, he's already back, go check on him yourself.
Huh... Oh, you're right! Wait, he looks really beat...
D-Delta, are you okay? Did you remember anything?
S-Sarly!! Delta's unconscious!
It appears so... It seems the shock administered was too great, and exceeded his limits.
...And? Delta's memories should be back now, right?
I don't think they're back. This likely just ended up being a frightening ride.
...So that means shock therapy beyond a certain degree is just torture.

She then shocked them with something a bit different.

What's that smell?
Hey, what's wrong you two? Why the twisted faces?
Why the...!? You're joking... Sarly, don't tell me this stench is...
...Are you wearing perfume?
P-Perfume!? THIS!?
...I thought I'd try it out.
Remember that perfume you were wearing the other time, Cass? The one that smells like soap?
I couldn't get it out of my mind, so I broke down and got some.
Th-This is the same fragrance!? It smelled nothing like this...
Is it that strong? It doesn't seem that way to me...
I think I know what's going on here...
Sarly, how did you use that perfume?
...Cass. Are you mocking me? I pointed it at myself and sprayed, obviously.
Well, there really isn't any other way to use it, I suppose.
How many times?
Hmm... About thirteen? I think?
What!?
Evidently, this perfume has a very soft smell. I couldn't really smell it after a few sprays.
I knew it... You see, Sarly, I hate to tell you, but you're doing it wrong.

Nobody ever really considers that they’re too used to their smell to know what others may be experiencing.

No, it's wrong...
You see, perfume is meant to be sprayed once or twice at yourself. That's all...
Or, you spray it in front of you a couple times, and walk through. That's all you need.
N-No, but it said, that this scent was a weak one, so...
Perfume is strange, in that the people wearing it actually don't notice its smell.
R-Really...?
Well, try to remember how we reacted when we walked in.
Now, no need to look so depressed... Cheer up.
I don't need your pity.
How is this possible? How could I not know how to do something as simple as apply perfume!?
W-Well, I kind of understand what you mea...
Hmph!
OW!
Delta, you stay out of this!
You could've just said that...!
Sarly, there's no need for you to feel so depressed. There are quite a few people who don't understand perfume.

Not going to name names, but a certain airship engineer’s nose is dead to the odor of machine oil and she won’t admit that fact.

...You did, Cass?
Of course! And this particular fragrance smelled like citrus, not soap. It was quite a disaster.
Everyone around me had disturbed looks on their faces... Or they'd walk by me holding their nose.
S-Shouldn't you be a little more worried about that...?
Yes! It was SO embarrassing! Oh, I don't even want to think about it...
Well, anyway... Just know that most beginners make that mistake, so you shouldn't worry about it too much.
In fact, you should feel lucky that it wasn't citrus scented or anything.
Hehe, I suppose I should consider it a blessing in disguise that I've only offended you two...
Exactly...
...So, I only have to spray myself once or twice, then?
Yeah. Or you can spray it in the air in front of you, and twirl through it. I think I like that style better.
Seems like there are lots of different ways... I need to study more, myself.

Don’t know how he stands being cooped up with her in that thing, but I think I’m getting a bit off topic.

Wow, it's rare for you to bring me any gifts... Did something good happen?
Not exactly, but I found a great bakery, and thought you might enjoy it.
The rare cheese tart was absolutely delicious! Let's hurry up and have some.
In that case, let me get the tea really quick. Please, have a seat anywhere you like.
Wow, that was delicious.
Delta... What did I tell you about manners?
Thank you very much. That was delicious, Cass.
I'm glad you like it.
But, I wasn't expecting you to savor the experience that much.
Yeah, you sure took your time with each bite.
Oh, that...?
It was quite delicious, so I was trying to understand what was used to cook it.
What was used to... Wait, you mean you know how to cook!?
Haha, can you honestly see me standing in a kitchen?
I just thought that if I knew the ingredients, I might be able to make a recipe of my own take on it.
Well, if you make a recipe for it... And you decide to make it, if it's for a tart, don't you NEED a kitchen?
Once I've created a recipe, it's no longer considered cooking, but rather synthesizing. No kitchen required.
...Something is very wrong with this picture.

I’ve actually considered that same problem, Lyner used to just make all sorts of things that didn’t make much sense in the back room of the inn while we were traveling, no matter what equipment was there. I mean I was there and I still don’t know how any of it worked.

Here, let me give you this, as thanks for the tart.
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Snacks for Geniuses]!
Geniuses...? Who are you referring to here?
Oh, that...? That was inspired by my professor, Clackett.
The research Professor Clackett did to further interdimensional travel was unprecedented.
And these snacks were inspired by the professor's tastes.
I see... But, some of these items in the recipe don't look that great.
You think so, too? But the professor loved junk food, you know.
Like jelly that was pure red and nothing but sweet. I couldn't believe it, honestly.
Wait a second... If the snacks were so bad you couldn't believe it... Why bother making a recipe!?
...I guess I just felt nostalgic.

Anyway Sarly, being a genius, did manage to get the whole perfume thing right on the second try.

Hehehe... You noticed?
You've become a lot better at applying perfume.
I just tried the method you taught me.
Honestly, I couldn't really smell the scent, which was worrying, but I guess it's hard to tell on your own.
Exactly.
But... When you get started down this road, it makes you want to try a lot of other things, too, doesn't it?
What do you mean?
I mean, here you are, using perfume now, but... The rest of you is still the same as before.
We'll save the trip to the boutique for next time, but I'd like to change your hairstyle or put makeup on you.
M-Makeup...?
Then, at the very least, let me try something with your hair... Right now you're just letting it grow, right?
I cut it, occasionally...? I keep the front and back the same length.
Um... For the record, you do this yourself?
Yeah... It's easy if you just have a pair of scissors. You just grip the part you want to cut, and shing!
You've got to be kidding me! Just like that...? You should give it more thought!
Not to mention taking care of it... I wonder if it's because of this environment? Or your lifestyle...
Take one close look, and you can see the hair's pretty damaged. You probably can't get a comb through it.

Though this still left other serious problems.

Then... How about we just take it all off in one fell swoop. Maybe one of those "bowl-shaped" cuts, huh?
Hmm, short could be good. It would certainly not get in my way... Where were my scissors...?
Wait wait wait!! You've got this long hair, so it would be a waste to cut it all.
I think first things first, we need to take good care of this damaged hair.
Is it that easy to fix damaged hair? Personally, I thought this was beyond saving...
Don't underestimate recent haircare products. We'll have your hair shining in no time.
Looks like you're not even using treatment... You need to take good care of long hair, or it gets damaged.
Having long hair sounds like a real pain...
It gets fun when you get used to it. Anyway, I'll write down what you have to do. You're starting tomorrow...
I don't think it'll make that much of a difference...

Still, she was actually doing a good job of figuring them out on her own.

Oh!?
My-!
Why it is that every time you walk through those doors, you look surprised?
You're the reason we're surprised, you know.
I see you're taking my haircare advice pretty seriously. I could tell with just one glance.
Huh...!? H-How can you tell?
When you turned around, I could see your hair wasn't tangled, and was very flowing... Right?
Yes. I was afraid you wouldn't give it a chance, but... I stand corrected.
I'd never done it before, so I admit I was a little confused at first...
But, I remember there was an article in the latest issue of that magazine about taking care of your hair.
That's right! It came out today... I completely forgot to buy it.
The hair oil in the latest issue smells great and does wonders...
You should give it a shot, too, Cass.
Y-Yeah, I'll do that...
Wait-! Are YOU really giving me advice on hair care? Who would've thought this day would come...
I just read it in a magazine.
Still, it's surprising!
...Well, I suppose it would be hard to imagine me doing it a little while ago.
But, I've been developing new recipes, as usual. Here, take a look...
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Schrodinger's Theory]!
...What could this be?

Impressive work, balancing that with creating baffling recipes.

It's Schrodinger. Not Schri... Anyway, to briefly explain his theory...
...Perhaps I better not.
Why!? I'm curious!
To fully understand this recipe, I'd start with some very difficult physics lessons. Still interested?
Well... maybe I'll pass. I probably wouldn't understand it, anyway.
Similar to how I'm slowly beginning to understand femininity, if you apply yourself, Cass, you can learn this...
In fact, you could probably even become a female scientist.
I'll leave that one to you, Sarly. I think I'm more of the social sciences type, anyway.
But once you get a hang of it, hard sciences are much easier to understand...
I'm getting a headache just thinking about hard sciences and "easy" in the same sentence.
Ahahaha... I see. Well, in that case, maybe you ARE hopeless.
Delta, what's the matter?
N-No, it's nothing...
I thought this is what I wanted to see all along, but... Now it just all seems so wrong!

Anyway Delta didn’t seem to be getting what he was hoping for when he’d asked for them to do more girl talk.

What's gotten into you so suddenly?
Certain items take a long time to craft, right?
I thought you all might be exhausted from your travels and could use some rest while waiting...
Well, thank you very much for the hospitality.
If it wasn't so hot and dusty here, we might give it some thought.
The dustiness, I can solve with a little cleaning, but I'm afraid I can't do anything about the heat.
Hehe, it's okay, don't worry about it.
Besides, if you're able to worry about us, why not take a little care of yourself?
What do you mean?
Well, I mentioned this last time I was here, but... Why not try on some makeup?
...You're really pushing that agenda, aren't you?
I've no doubt in my mind, you would enjoy it right now.
Enjoy? ...Makeup?
...I see. So, this is why some people spend hours on their makeup.
Y-Yeah... Although, I think those people aren't necessarily enjoying it, as much as they're confused.
A-Anyway! Applying makeup can be really fun, when done correctly!
I'm sure you'll have fun, once you see your own before and after.
I find it hard to believe such a massive change... Unless you apply powder or something...
Even a little application can go a long way, you know?
That's what makes it so fun... So, you interested in trying it yet?
...I don't think I'm ready yet... Could you give me a little time to think?
Hmm... I don't think it requires THAT much thought...

I mean the outcome was pretty obvious if you consider the people involved.

Eek!
Um, I understand how you feel, but now you just sound pathetic.
Then, why don't you try riding on it, too! Yeah, it's called "Shocking Cart" but it's way more than shocking.
Well, it was designed as a type of shock therapy, so it would be meaningless if it didn't shock you...
Have you heard of people being shocked to death?
I know about CPR to bring people back, if that's what you mean...
I see, well, then there's nothing to worry about... WAIT, OF COURSE THERE IS!
Okay, okay, we get it. Now, let's get the recipe already, yes?
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Operation Delta Pt.3]!
As you can tell, I'm not using a shopping cart anymore.
Not only that, we won't be using shock therapy. So don't worry...
Yeah, and it's doubtful you can find ANYTHING more shocking than what he's been through.
I try not to think about it.
But... This is strange. I can't even begin to imagine what kind of item this recipe's going to make.
It's a rather complicated piece of machinery, so... Just looking at the recipe won't tell you anything.
So, I recommend you wait and see what kind of items you get.
Yeah... It sure builds the suspense that way, too.
You are too carefree about this issue. You know this is to get YOUR memory back, right?
Well, I understand that part, but... We might as well have some fun while doing it, right?
You are a strange, strange man.
But that's what you like about him, right?
Sh-Shut up!
Hehe...

Looks like she didn’t include what happened with this one, I guess she wants that to be a cliffhanger or something. Fair enough.

Huh? Why?
I wanted to see what skin feels like after applying makeup.
Oh, I get it now... Sure, but don't pull on it or anything, okay?
I know, I know...
...Hmm, I thought it would be stickier, but it's actually pretty smooth.
If it was sticky, no one would use it!
I mean, maybe if you applied WAY too much or something, but... Putting on a little won't do that.
I see...
Here, I'll let you have some of mine. Why don't you try applying it yourself?
Wh-Wh-!? Me? On my own...!?
You're asking the impossible. I haven't the faintest idea how to use anything.
You only get that feeling in the beginning.
So, you might not really understand it, but it's fun to try out different things and see what happens.
...You have this strange way of making people want to do things... Tickling my curiosity.
Have you considered becoming a pre- school teacher?

It’s always worth it to try new things. Um, within reason. Don’t try anything Spica suggests.

Okay, I'll try it out.
It's decided, then! I'll go get my set, so just wait here.
Thanks for the backup on the whole her calling me a kid thing.
*Yawn* it sure takes time for girls to put makeup on, doesn't it...
It's her first time, so go easy on her. Besides, you're a guy. Why not just go over there and be quiet?
I've been sitting here for almost an hour...!
Alright! I did it!
The moment we've been waiting for!
So, how do you think you did?
Yes, well, it took a little longer than expected, but I do believe this is perfect.
Pffffff.
U-Umm, Sarly?
What do you think? I'm pretty proud of the result...
It's like when a little girl finds their mother's makeup bag and experiments.
I'm actually amazed... I didn't think you could make-up a face like this with what I had...
...No good, huh?
Well, it's your first time. You can't blame yourself. It's just... You've exceeded our expectations, that's all.
Anyway, let's take off this makeup for now. Next time, I'll try applying it on you.

Like seriously. Nothing.

I told you, you only get one shot at your "first time". You have to enjoy it.
Anyway... You had your chance to experience putting on makeup. Now, I'll show you how to do it properly.
Let's go into the back, yes?
Huh? We can't do it here?
Not with Delta around. In reality, you shouldn't apply makeup in front of others... It's not proper etiquette.
I don't mind?
Well, girls do. Now, Sarly, let's go.
First, let's go ahead and take off all this makeup... Huh? What's this little bag over here?
Oh-! No...! D-Don't do it, Cass! Don't open that!

Some more advice, never let anyone convince you that you’re not beautiful in your own way.

...Yes. I couldn't take it anymore, so I...
...I broke my promise to go shopping together. I apologize.
That's nothing to apologize for. In fact, I'm actually rather impressed.
I know. Why don't we try putting on your makeup in a way that goes well with these clothes?
...Sounds like they're having a lot of fun.
*Sigh* it's taking them quite a while, isn't it...
Thanks for waiting!
Wow, it's about time.
Hey, where's Sarly?
She's on her way... Boy are you in for a surprise.
You're exaggerating... Oh well, hurry up and show me what she looks like.
...Do you promise not to laugh?
I don't think it can be much worse than your makeup from earlier. So, don't worry.
...Okay. In that case...
Hehe...

Everyone can be, one way or the other.

Oh, you're so pretty right now. You should stand up straight! C'mon, be proud of your work!
I- umm... I'd like to, but...
It's just so embarrassing, I...
There's nothing to be ashamed about. Right, Delta?
Hey, are you listening to me?
Huh? What? O-Oh, right... Yeah, I think so, too.
That doesn't even answer my question! Wow, were you not listening?
Sorry, I was just... Dazzled.
!!
I think you look beautiful, Sarly. I can hardly believe my own eyes.
S-Stop right there...! I know you're complimenting me, which I'm thankful for, but I'm just so embarrassed...
You've got nothing to be shy about... I mean... Seriously. How should I put this...
Heh, yup. You're beautiful!
Argh! There were a million ways to say that. Is that really the best you've got!?
I'm not used to this sorta thing, I didn't know how to compliment her...
But this isn't flattery. I think you really do look good... Not just your clothes, but... You seem more mature.
I know! It's the lipstick!
Yeah, I put on just a little bit. It's a light color, too...
Wow, I didn't think lipstick could change a person this much...

I think that’s just about it for things.

Hahaha, I'm telling you. Absolutely no flattery here. Right, Cass?
Yeah, honestly... I almost started feeling regret when I was applying the makeup.
Hahaha, I kinda understand how you feel. I mean, she's much prettier than you, now...
Wha-!?
Now, it won't just be Shirotaka. All the guys around the world will come to you.
I-I have no comment on the Shirotaka thing, but... I'm honored you think that way about the other men.
I-If this is all I have to do, then, maybe not every day, but... I could do it once in a while?
Yeah, it would certainly make me a happy camper!
Hmph!
Owwww! What the heck was that for!?
It's your fault for acting like a pig!
I was NOT!
Hehe.
I wonder if he'll compliment me, too...?

Alright, now I think it’s time for you all to have a nap. Oh, and your mother says here things will pick up again next time.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: Class::EXSPHERE_NOSURGE;

Feinne fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 5, 2015

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Hi, I'm Delta Lantanoil and welcome to Jackass

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Sarly's got a future in carnival attractions if this whole 'scienceing random things for money' deal falls through.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's really weird that Sarly and Cass seem to be such good friends in these talks because from that dive they had, despite them understanding each other really well and still being close Sarly didn't want to open up too much to Cass or even really become her friend. Which is kind of at odds with all these talks. I mean, i'm sure the end game of Sarly's dives are her and Cass becoming best friends again and all that, but these talks don't really seem to take into account that they're still apparently working through some problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

So it's best not to take that Dive as 'Sarly seriously doesn't consider Cass a friend'. The real conflict Sarly's having is that she's not really sure she wants to have friends at all, because she never really had a lot of them and took losing Shirotaka quite hard. We didn't actually resolve that, because she's incredibly stubborn, but we did make some headway.

One interesting thing to look back on now that we know more about her is Nelo's cameo in that Dive. It does kind of suggest that even knowing Nelo really hosed them over, part of Cass still does really think of her as a friend. Nelo in general ends up being a bit more interesting as we get a better idea what's going on with her.

• Locked thread