Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bogart posted:

crushing my workshops and child centers.

Eh, more food for the rest of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

How replayable is the game with the Endless Mode?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Mystic Stylez posted:

How replayable is the game with the Endless Mode?

Well, I know I'm not going to be judged at the end by the timelapse screen so there's no reason NOT to go full on frost fascist.

The random events keep it interesting, and can be a challenge early game. (I had one where I hadn't gone down the hothouse tech tree - then my hunters suddenly were only 10% effective and I had no food and no way to get it without my scouts finding steam cores ASAP)

But I think it suffers from the "New Home" issue where, once you get things stable then you start snowballing (lol) hard on the resources, and any event they throw at you is easily managed. It's not long before you're sitting on maxxed out everything, automatons working everywhere and you have nothing to do but toggle the overdrive every once in a while while you play sim city with streetlights and gardens.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I agree with that assessment, if you can make it through the first storm in Endless mode you have dealt with most of the challenge, and if you make it past the second storm it basically becomes an aquarium/snow globe game. I kept going to day 100 for the achievement but I hardly needed to do anything for the last 60 days except toggle overdrive during the height of the storms and keep speeding up time.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

This game reminds a lot of plantebase, and is therefore very good.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
"Chicago" mode out today

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

"Chicago" mode out today

What's Chicago mode

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

i think it's a joke about how Chicago is suffering from extremely cold weather. Tomorrow night they're expected to hit -50 F (-45 C)

As a safety warning NWS in Des Moines said, “to protect your lungs from severely cold air, avoid taking deep breaths; minimize talking.”

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

QuarkJets posted:

i think it's a joke about how Chicago is suffering from extremely cold weather. Tomorrow night they're expected to hit -50 F (-45 C)

As a safety warning NWS in Des Moines said, “to protect your lungs from severely cold air, avoid taking deep breaths; minimize talking.”

Pffft. Overcharge the genny, you silly midwesterners... :rolleyes:

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
Hey folks! We've been here for what, a few weeks? Anyway, I'm the Pope now, and God is angry.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Say what you like about the eternal God-Captain, but the screams of the heretics burning on the generator make a great wake-up call.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Soho Joe posted:

Hey folks! We've been here for what, a few weeks? Anyway, I'm the Pope now, and God is angry.

All I know is that since we built a coal mine and also I became pope and we executed all my political opponents, we've had enough coal. Draw your own conclusions, but as it stands, my popedom is a good thing and you have plenty of coal.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

jokes posted:

All I know is that since we built a coal mine and also I became pope and we executed all my political opponents, we've had enough coal. Draw your own conclusions, but as it stands, my popedom is a good thing and you have plenty of coal.

why is there a mitten and a retainer in my coal ration

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Soho Joe posted:

iirc aren't the generators basically in the UK? So at least there's precedent for the leader saying "hey I'm the pope now" and everyone going along with it

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

QuarkJets posted:

iirc aren't the generators basically in the UK? So at least there's precedent for the leader saying "hey I'm the pope now" and everyone going along with it

:golfclap:

:dawkins101:

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Frostpunk: Brexit Simulator 2018

Became pope for the first time yesterday, I don't think faiths bonuses really rate beside the order ones. Though I could be mistaken.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Faith is better for not-crossing-the-line runs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The differences between Faith and Order are:

- Faith has more hope-boosters, Order more discontent-reducers
- Faith's buildings mostly don't need to be manned or heated, but they take slightly more space
- Faith's version of "guards" (faith keepers) come a little later, for the purpose of events
- Faith's version of agitators (shrines) come a lot earlier
- Faith provides soup kitchens (structures that consume food to provide a +1 heat radius), vs Foremen (food-consuming ability that boosts efficiency)
- Faith's House of Healing is practically an infirmary, with a worse healing rate but can employ anyone and doesn't consume a steam core. Order's equivalent is the Prison, which is a last-resort means of reducing discontent since it takes people out of the labor pool.
- They both have an ability that turns some people into "informants" who will occasionally find small amounts of resources for you

On average I think that Faith is strictly better; the House of Healing is insane, since it requires no steam cores and can be manned by anyone while providing nearly all of the benefits of an Infirmary, but just a little less efficiently. And the basic structures not requiring heating or manpower is a big big deal, you can just drop churches slightly outside of the radius of your steam hubs in order to maximize housing density. While Foremen are usually much better than Soup Kitchens, Soup Kitchens can still be really good on the harder difficulties. And while having more ways to reduce discontent can be nice, the Adaptation tree is already full of those, and the Moonshine ability should make discontent a total non-issue in most games, whereas Faith has a ton of abilities that dump a ton of hope on you, the harder resource to get.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Faith pays for its abilites with food. Order pays with people.

I personally tend to overbuild food production, so I take faith in almost all situations.
But from what I saw of other people playing, a lot of people like it when people start starving when the cook is late for work one day. For those playstyles order is probably better.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

My first run-through of the first scenario, I went Order and had huge numbers of sick people from taking in every refugee. I got executed about three hours before I'd have won the scenario.

My second run-through of the first scenario, I went Faith and spammed Houses of Healing everywhere. I had no problems at all (though probably I'd have been OK going Order as well because I knew the game and scenario much better by then).

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Order's discontent reduction is there on top of the adaptation discontent reduction so you can spam longer shifts and overnight shifts everywhere with little consequence

Hope is harder to raise than discontent, but low discontent can be traded for resources, while having high hope does nothing for you besides having high hope

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
High Hope is useful for dunking on Londoners.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

ok interesting, I've always faced more material problems than hope or discontent so I guess I was biassing towards STEMlordy resource efficiency.

Frostpunks really good atmospheres great I think its kinda light weight for a city management sim but I could see it getting expanded considerably.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Ephemeron posted:

High Hope is useful for dunking on Londoners.

Jackhammer
Jul 10, 2008
Just throw all londoners in jail for graffiti crimes.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
And there's an update for the vid game. Adding photo mode and saying 'mac version's out the 13th'.

AND they added LARGE RESOURCE DEPOTS fuckin a

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

What law decisions do people regard as no-brainers? So far I've got:

* Emergency shift (to be used exactly once)
* 14-hour workday (to be used everywhere that's bottlenecking development)
* Overcrowding instead of extra rations for the sick (overcrowding is automatic and free except for discontent which I've not found to be much of an issue)
* Fighting arena, public house, moonshine

How does child labour stack up versus apprentices? Or burials versus organ transplant? I haven't used them enough to know yet.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Soup and cemeteries are unarguable. The more radical laws should only be used when poo poo is already bad. Amputees can be kept in care houses until a factory shows up, so I’d rather not use triage or any of that because there’s still a workforce accessible.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Gort posted:

What law decisions do people regard as no-brainers? So far I've got:

* Emergency shift (to be used exactly once)
* 14-hour workday (to be used everywhere that's bottlenecking development)
* Overcrowding instead of extra rations for the sick (overcrowding is automatic and free except for discontent which I've not found to be much of an issue)
* Fighting arena, public house, moonshine

How does child labour stack up versus apprentices? Or burials versus organ transplant? I haven't used them enough to know yet.

Child labour helps in the early game and tails off the bigger your city gets, I really like engineer apprentices for the long run. The highest difficulty settings make the early game crunch bad enough that child labour is almost essential though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bogart posted:

Soup and cemeteries are unarguable. The more radical laws should only be used when poo poo is already bad. Amputees can be kept in care houses until a factory shows up, so I’d rather not use triage or any of that because there’s still a workforce accessible.

Cemeteries are arguable. The hit you get for building a snow pit instead of a cemetery is small and temporary but organ transplants are a permanent boost to health efficiency, which is way good. Even if you have no corpses, which is ideally your goal anyway

Triage is a crappy thing that I never use but radical treatment is what I usually go for, I can live with a few amputees that will get prosthetics later anyway. And overcrowding is generally fine, on Survivor mode it's practically essential, you simply don't have enough engineers a lot of the time so to hell with it.

I think that child labor isn't very good and I only use it when it's forced upon me by the scenario, medic apprentices are insanely good just because having efficient healthcare is so strong

Always get soup, always get emergency and extended shifts, always go all the way up to moonshine

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Child labor seems good but it fucks with your hope and discontent when the lil rascals get their widdle paws all smushed up in the megalithic machinery. To me that's always more of a problem than resource management especially because I don't like the Jesus gestapo.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
My thought is that the bonuses to engineering or hospitals is more worthwhile than the extra labor, especially in the mid- to late-game. Child labor is really only useful in the first week or so, and I feel like I get a lot more out of apprentices in the long scenarios or endless mode. In the scenarios, I always send them to the engineers, but they may be more useful in hospitals in endless mode.
:shrug:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

How much of a speed boost do organ transplants and medic apprentices actually give to medical recovery time? And how much of a boost do you get from engineer apprentices? Does it scale with the number of children in shelters, or will a single shelter do as well for this as lots of shelters will?

I feel like the game is very forthcoming on most of its information but the book of laws stuff is obfuscated for some reason.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gort posted:

How much of a speed boost do organ transplants and medic apprentices actually give to medical recovery time? And how much of a boost do you get from engineer apprentices? Does it scale with the number of children in shelters, or will a single shelter do as well for this as lots of shelters will?

I feel like the game is very forthcoming on most of its information but the book of laws stuff is obfuscated for some reason.

Child apprentices provide up to a 20% boost to efficiency. A fully-occupied child shelter provides that bonus to 2 of the relevant buildings, e.g. if you have 1 full child shelter then two of your medical posts, infirmaries, workshops, etc will get a 20% efficiency boost. That's basically 2 additional doctors on-staff.

Organ transplants are also a 20% boost to efficiency, even when there are no corpses in your snow pit.

Medical efficiency translates directly into healing time, a 120% efficient medical post will heal people 20% faster. You can actually click around and see these numbers in-game, they're just not well-advertised

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Cool, thanks for the information.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Personally, I prefer using kids as engineering apprentices and rely on doubling rations for the ill to rush recovery time when I need to. If your infirmaries are even partially empty, medical apprentices seem like a waste, whereas there will always be something to research. My assumption here is that long-term gains through technology and efficiency outweigh any momentary marginal benefit you get by being able to send sick citizens back to work sooner. And remember that some technologies like insulation, heaters, and automatons can keep workers from getting sick in the first place, and infirmary upgrades can eventually make up for medical apprentices.

Disclaimer: I am a babby who plays on easy and who usually has a labor surplus and food to burn, but I feel like what I say might still be true at higher difficulties.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The, "Everyone is sick and dying and now they've banished me" spiral is the only way I've ever lost a scenario in the game so far, so I tend to prioritise anything that gives me an edge in the medical department. I also try to go full employment whenever possible - it feels like having unemployed people is inefficient since they could be generating research or resources.

I like overcrowding rather than extra rations since overcrowding just works automatically and costs effectively nothing.

I play on normal, haven't finished Winterhome yet.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Bogart posted:

Cemeteries are pointless. Very few people die anyway, and the organ transplant boost is great regardless of the number of dead people. Child-labor is an early crutch that is completely un-needed and child apprentices for engineering is the way to get to the end of the tech-tree asap. Soup is ok if you are struggling with food, but generally I don't need it. Moonshine is awesome. Radical Treatment is good, triage is ok in the refuge scenario where you have like 200 injured people that arrive at a time otherwise, it's not necessary.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Alright, I didn't know that about organ transplants not actually... requiring dead people. But when you're in a bad way on people dying, cemeteries and ceremonial cemetaries are huge for mitigating that hit to hope. Still, I'm a little leery of the health effects of snow pits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Unless you're playing on hardest difficulty, it's fairly easy to never get a dead person in which case pits aren't an issue :v: