Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Okay, no, I have it. Hookshot behind Armos 2, pendant Argas gives Boots, Mire medallion on the GT torch, Red Cane in pendant Mire and Vitreous has the Turtle Rock medallion, GT big key locked behind the Cane switch, Ice Rod behind Moldorm 2, and the Sword upgrades at green pendant Trinex, Sahasrala, and the pedestal. It’s a mandatory triple-dip to GT, all dungeons are mandatory with no sword upgrades, and you can’t go straight to Ganon after Aganim 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

abraxas posted:

I mean, realistically you're probably not gonna miss out on a terrible lot of things if you wait until week 3 or 4 to start watching more regularly. That's probably about the time when we'll focus more on getting the better players restreamed (aka the people with more wins rather than the guys who are 0-4 or something). There's still been quite a few close or awesome races, but I won't deny there's also been a few horrible blowouts with like 45+ minute differences in finishing times.

e: also my first tournament match had the bow in GT Tile Room (both PoD/EP Pendants) so if you're interested in watching me lose by literally full clearing everything I could, then forfeiting before checking tile room (because gently caress tile room) and then finishing the seed anyway, go look for that race I guess :v:

Is your stream/game name abraxas?

Also anyone else that is competing please post your stream name I’d enjoy cheering goons on.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The one thought I've had for these randomizer runs is; is there a good chance that you can simply get stuck by not having certain items drop early enough to proceed? It's been years since I've played the game but iirc you're basically getting items through the whole game to get you past points you previously could not.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

cage-free egghead posted:

The one thought I've had for these randomizer runs is; is there a good chance that you can simply get stuck by not having certain items drop early enough to proceed? It's been years since I've played the game but iirc you're basically getting items through the whole game to get you past points you previously could not.

No, there's logic behind the randomizing

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The way they built the randomizer means you can always beat everything, though almost never in the intended order. This mostly works because ALLTP requires dungeon items very rarely outside the dungeon they're mandatory for, and a lot of overworld upgrades unlock alternate paths.

So, for example, in vanilla you have to beat Aghanim to get access to the 'mainland' of the Dark World the first time. There are several portals in the Light World to the Dark World that are locked behind items you can only get in the Dark World (gloves, hammer etc)

In randomizer since you can get the gloves and hammer right away you can go to the Dark World without beating Aghanim and go to, say, Thieves Town which literally only requires a sword and bombs to beat before any other dungeon.

A lot of the reason LTTP rando works is because there are so many paths and shortcuts that open up late in the main game that let you skip around weirdly if you're able to get items in a different sequence.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Thanks for the explanations! How fun is it for people who aren't too well versed in the game?

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Someone post the link to the hookshot in GT race, please.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Thanks for the explanations! How fun is it for people who aren't too well versed in the game?

It's pretty fun because you can see a lot of good tech, glitches, and routing. The commentators usually do a great job explaining what happened and what that opens up, and provide some insight as to what a runner might do.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've been having fun watching it. It's true that some races are bad but then I just turn it off or switch to a different one, depending on how many are going at once.

There was a race where one of the runners started using hover glitch out of nowhere and the commentators lost their mind and I was confused because I thought it was a pretty standard trick but I guess not a lot of people can reliably do it. They did a good job of explaining how it works and why it's hard, as well.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

The only thing that irks me about the rando streams is a few of the commentators think the only way to get excited and express anything is to YELL REALLY LOUD. which if they had a compressor running would be fine but I don't think any of them do.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

If you're actually playing it, it's a lot more fun if you've played and beaten the original game first (ideally 100%, so you at least have a good idea of where everything is); if you haven't played it before, there are a lot of catches and gotchas that you might not know about, though recently I think they've added in a few hints like telling you Bombos technically lets you go through Ice Palace.

You can sort of get an idea of how things work if you have good commentators during a run, as they'll usually explain what might be going through a runner's head (or sometimes what should be, when people forget somewhere important).

That being said, I really wish they would lighten up on the "nothing but game audio for a stream" thing; it would be nice to have a feed of what a player is actually thinking sometimes.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

TheTofuShop posted:

The only thing that irks me about the rando streams is a few of the commentators think the only way to get excited and express anything is to YELL REALLY LOUD. which if they had a compressor running would be fine but I don't think any of them do.

For every 1 person who understands recording voices on twitch 300 people have no clue.

Love to hear exactly how bad the acoustics in everyone's bedroom is over their expensive recording hardware used to stream on twitch with its 160kbps cap on audio

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

synthetik posted:

Someone post the link to the hookshot in GT race, please.

I believe it was Vitasia vs Crrool.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/251042115

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

hanales posted:

Also anyone else that is competing please post your stream name I’d enjoy cheering goons on.

twitch.tv/sa_gtg

My stream is the most no-frills thing most of the time. Layout is just the game and a little timer in the corner, no mic, so not very exciting if I'm not being restreamed.

My next match is Thursday 8PM EDT against JohnRossums. He seems to be on about the same level as I am execution wise so unless chokes happen I think this will probably come down to who makes the best/luckiest decisions.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

SeXReX posted:

For every 1 person who understands recording voices on twitch 300 people have no clue.

Love to hear exactly how bad the acoustics in everyone's bedroom is over their expensive recording hardware used to stream on twitch with its 160kbps cap on audio

yeah, I get it. the stream always has the commentators listed so it's easy to avoid at any rate. I love getting more rando though.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

hanales posted:

twitch.tv/kariohki here. My next match is Friday 5pm eastern. I’m not too good at the game (still need to use dungeon maps for example) but it’s a fun time. I’ve also put in to do commentary on some races later this week, and I promise I don’t get too loud.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
twitch.tv/OysterSA

My next match is Saturday at noon eastern. I play to have fun, which usually means using bombos on Aga 1 when he goes to use lightning or quaking the validation chest because it killed my family or something.

If I'm not randoing I'm usually streaming Star Fox 2 and will begin streaming X7 pretty soon.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

sincx posted:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Mount Wario, 200cc, without ever pressing gas/reverse or having auto-accelerate on in 5m 26s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=p8TrUmOpLaw

This is pretty good

willwc
Jan 1, 2006

Who's got the ball?
Yo shawty, it's the B-back

Nep-Nep posted:

twitch.tv/sa_gtg

My stream is the most no-frills thing most of the time. Layout is just the game and a little timer in the corner, no mic, so not very exciting if I'm not being restreamed.

My next match is Thursday 8PM EDT against JohnRossums. He seems to be on about the same level as I am execution wise so unless chokes happen I think this will probably come down to who makes the best/luckiest decisions.

https://www.twitch.tv/willwc

I'm a super-lurker in this thread, but yeah, pretty much identical deal for me. I've got a race tonight at 7p EDT in the 1-0 pool, so if anyone's bored feel free to come emoji-heckle me in chat or whatever. I think the match ought to be reasonably competitive based on watching the VOD of my opponent's (myoky) first round match, as long as you don't mind some wacky routing and sloppy execution. :v:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

willwc posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/willwc

I'm a super-lurker in this thread, but yeah, pretty much identical deal for me. I've got a race tonight at 7p EDT in the 1-0 pool, so if anyone's bored feel free to come emoji-heckle me in chat or whatever. I think the match ought to be reasonably competitive based on watching the VOD of my opponent's (myoky) first round match, as long as you don't mind some wacky routing and sloppy execution. :v:

I'm playing an exhibition match with a friend at 8 but I'll watch the first part! Good luck!

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Double Punctuation posted:

Okay, no, I have it. Hookshot behind Armos 2, pendant Argas gives Boots, Mire medallion on the GT torch, Red Cane in pendant Mire and Vitreous has the Turtle Rock medallion, GT big key locked behind the Cane switch, Ice Rod behind Moldorm 2, and the Sword upgrades at green pendant Trinex, Sahasrala, and the pedestal. It’s a mandatory triple-dip to GT, all dungeons are mandatory with no sword upgrades, and you can’t go straight to Ganon after Aganim 2.

There are 2 super trolls that can happen that (fortunately) can't both happen at the same time: hammer at pyramid fairy (requiring sudden aga to progress) and mirror on Trinexx with required progression in mimic cave. Work one of those into there.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lurking not allowed

posting only

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Someone should do a "best of" playlist for this season like this one that I think Captian Invictus did.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

eonwe posted:

lurking not allowed

posting only

heya eonwe

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hi i'm lurking because i never have anything to contribute

unless you want to see a speedrun of losing overwatch games the fastest

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

I was rooting for you before but now I see you also understand the importance of being Pink Link. Good!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Kaubocks posted:

hi i'm lurking because i never have anything to contribute

unless you want to see a speedrun of losing overwatch games the fastest

The overwatch page on speedrun.com is a thing of beauty

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I made a thread for the rando tournament so we can cheer on goons without derailing this thread every time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thank you but im also gonna derail this one to spite punchy

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cool but since they are speedrunning and this is the speedrunning thread is that really a derail?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

I will enjoy this.

eonwe posted:

thank you but im also gonna derail this one to spite punchy

But also this.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Honestly I still think it's less that this thread needs to have the rando stuff taken out of it but rather that there's enough rando discussion, information, and livechat that it's probably worth it having its own thread to have one altogether resource for it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh its a good thread i just want to spite punchy

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

eonwe posted:

oh its a good thread i just want to spite punchy

I think he said he stopped reading the thread so be sure to @ him on Twitter with rando posting

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
@punchi

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Takoluka posted:

I believe it was Vitasia vs Crrool.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/251042115

The first hour of this beating desert with bombs and the cane is insane.

Youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KGtgnnYwHc

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

flatluigi posted:

Honestly I still think it's less that this thread needs to have the rando stuff taken out of it but rather that there's enough rando discussion, information, and livechat that it's probably worth it having its own thread to have one altogether resource for it

I did this mostly so I and others could have a space to make low effort yell posts during goon matches without breaking the flow of other discussion in here. But also eonwe please know you are doing good work.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
sgdq isn't for another 2 months, who cares

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
There’s more to speed running than events (:thejoke:?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

What other discussion :sun:

I'd prefer rando chat here, its not as if there's a ton of other activity outside of events. Or join up the speedgoons discord for live chatting. Someone could make another channel in there for rando spam if punchy's record for lines of chat in a row gets threatened.