Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Comrade Fakename posted:

As much as I’m really hyped for this game, I do wonder how real of a criticism of capitalism it can be, considering that as an RPG, inevitably the numbers will go up. By gameplay necessity you will end up bootstrapping your way up to the higher echelons of society.

Like, I love the Witcher 3, but that game starts out with Geralt as a member of an underclass who gets spat at on the street, but by the end you have an ungodly amount of cash, the most valuable armour and weapons in the world, you’re pals with most of the crowned heads and power players in the region, your adopted daughter is next in line to become empress, you are gifted a beautiful villa with a farm and attendant staff, and you basically own a castle in Kaer Morhen.

comrade the underclass must seize the power of the upper classes in order to dismantle it

all the game needs at the end is a 'gently caress it all' option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Crappy Jack posted:

https://playgwent.com/en/news/18951/gwent-homecoming-see-whats-next-for-gwent

They're rebooting. Back in April, they were basically like "Yeah, this isn't working, you're right, we're gonna take about six months to do a full overhaul and try and get it right this time."

gently caress that sounds nice

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Here's the thing though, these complaints over animation literally don't matter to the combat system at all. You can play the game on the hardest difficulty without worrying in the slightest about getting hit errantly because of this poo poo. The game's loving easy very quickly and only even remotely difficult if you house rule stuff for yourself.

i'm not talking about animation, they are different attacks. You don't have control over which attack he does. Thats bad

i didn't say it was hard either, the combat is functional its just the basic sword attacks are fundamentally flawed in the way i described

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Subjunctive posted:

It’s not just the demo, they’ve said explicitly that those are the 3 PC roles.

My bad. That does suck.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The game's loving easy very quickly and only even remotely difficult if you house rule stuff for yourself.

well yes that's exactly what one of the most common complaints is. the combat is only interesting if you sort of handicap yourself especially because geralt becomes a nearly undefeatalbe god in most encounters due to the way the leveling works

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Video Game Aspie posted:

So, apparently the E3 floor demo only has 3 combat roles (Netrunner, Techie, Solo) instead of the 12 that the tabletop has. I'm beginning to think this is just going to be just a very combat centric first person shooter and I'm not gonna be able to make Spider Jerusalem or Johnny Silverhand. 5 years of hype down the drain :negative:

I'd love for RPGs to move away from combat-centric gameplay personally but I don't think it's gonna happen.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BULBASAUR posted:

comrade the underclass must seize the power of the upper classes in order to dismantle it

all the game needs at the end is a 'gently caress it all' option

Ah, the Vampire Bloodlines Ending

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Ragg posted:

I'd love for RPGs to move away from combat-centric gameplay personally but I don't think it's gonna happen.

Yeah RPGs where you could truly beat the game without having to be a combat class would be a dream

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HORMELCHILI posted:

Yeah RPGs where you could truly beat the game without having to be a combat class would be a dream

Deus Ex?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fallout

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

HORMELCHILI posted:

Age of Decadence

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ah, the Vampire Bloodlines Ending

One of my favorite aspects about that game's ending is that the same events happen no matter what, it's just a matter of where your character stands. There's enough distance between those points that you get different endings from it.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

GrossMurpel posted:

Age of Decadence

Yuup.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Ah man but I wanted to be a rockerboy

Edit: death stranding is supposedly moving away from combat as a central theme in gameplay and it's being shut on as a pretencious walking simulator so eh

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I've looked at that before it seemed interesting, didn't know you could be non combat. I'll definitely pick that up

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think they've said that there are elements of the other classes you can incorporate into your build.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

HORMELCHILI posted:

I've looked at that before it seemed interesting, didn't know you could be non combat. I'll definitely pick that up

Beware, it is of a rather grodnardy nature. Not for everyone.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Crappy Jack posted:

https://playgwent.com/en/news/18951/gwent-homecoming-see-whats-next-for-gwent

They're rebooting. Back in April, they were basically like "Yeah, this isn't working, you're right, we're gonna take about six months to do a full overhaul and try and get it right this time."

They won't get it right because Gwent's core gameplay of playing cards one at a time and seeing who has the most points at the end doesn't lead to interesting gameplay.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont care about stand alone gwent but i totally will play it once they release story mode

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Waffleman_ posted:

I think they've said that there are elements of the other classes you can incorporate into your build.
Yeah they said you can have some skills that come from the more social-focused classes.

This shouldn't really surprise anyone. Witcher always had 3 full combat trees (swords, magic, alchemy) and just about the only non-combat skill was the ability to force trick people in dialog occasionally. CDPR has always been on the "have NPCs react based on the player's words and actions, don't make them roll charisma/speech checks constantly" side of RPG design.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 14, 2018

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

W3's strengths (and CDPR's in general) are in storytelling and exploration. They've never really prioritised deep combat or role playing.

If you're expecting a recreation of the tabletop game you might want to brace yourself for disappointment.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Steve2911 posted:

If you're expecting a recreation of the tabletop game you might want to brace yourself for disappointment.

well they already cut most of these expectations considering you pretty much only play 3 of the roles

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I would assume that they have a slightly different a role-playing philosophy compared to The Witcher, considering that they have added character customization and choosing your character's backstory.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would assume that they have a slightly different a role-playing philosophy compared to The Witcher, considering that they have added character customization and choosing your character's backstory.

Oh for sure, but I can't see them going to the extremes people are expecting.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I'm assuming it will work like all the GTA games where you start in the cyberghetto and work your way up to working for the megacorps.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

nickmeister posted:

Ah man but I wanted to be a rockerboy

Edit: death stranding is supposedly moving away from combat as a central theme in gameplay and it's being shut on as a pretencious walking simulator so eh

I think the issue cdpr is facing is they want to give more customization, which I think is good, but they do not want to stray too far from having a protagonist that that player guides. They have an idea of who V is, regardless of gender, and they are picking the classes that they feel let's the player have good variety of choices without falling into the Bethesda trap of having such variable player characters that all of the dialogue feels generic and boring. Being a rockerboy is dope but might just be hard to integrate into the story they want to tell.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

GrossMurpel posted:

Age of Decadence

Mmm, yes, my first steam refund

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I think the issue cdpr is facing is they want to give more customization, which I think is good, but they do not want to stray too far from having a protagonist that that player guides. They have an idea of who V is, regardless of gender, and they are picking the classes that they feel let's the player have good variety of choices without falling into the Bethesda trap of having such variable player characters that all of the dialogue feels generic and boring. Being a rockerboy is dope but might just be hard to integrate into the story they want to tell.

They might expand classes in future dlc too. It would make sense.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If history has taught us anything about video games, it's that at this rate there's no way this game is going to live up to the hype generated by all the positive and gushing press from the E3 demo.

There will be hundreds of things casuals are expecting from it that it simply won't be able to fulfill.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

AndyElusive posted:

If history has taught us anything about video games, it's that at this rate there's no way this game is going to live up to the hype generated by all the positive and gushing press from the E3 demo.

There will be hundreds of things casuals are expecting from it that it simply won't be able to fulfill.

my personal belief is it will be the new deus ex type RPG with tons of depth and poo poo.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I think it'll be a real slam dunk!!!!

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

The Witcher 3 was incredible and pretty much justified all the hype leading up to it. (Combat could be stronger but nothing is perfect). If people doesn't forget that, at the end of the day, CP2077 is still a videogame with real limitations they will be fine. Only those who thinks this will be GTA 6 for some reason will be dissapointed.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my personal belief is it will be the new deus ex type RPG with tons of depth and poo poo.

This is my hope, which I don't think too far fetched.

On the note of Deus Ex, after Human Revolution (which I enjoyed) is it worth playing the other one to tide me over? I seem to remember being turned off by the fact that it had microtransactions or something.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Claes Oldenburger posted:

On the note of Deus Ex, after Human Revolution (which I enjoyed) is it worth playing the other one to tide me over? I seem to remember being turned off by the fact that it had microtransactions or something.

It's like 1/3 of an okay game. They decided to split the story into several games except the other part never started development.

Alex Otextin
Jan 24, 2010

Big Time Hockey Coach!
After taking a five month tolerance break, I decided to end it tonight. I also started playing the Witcher 3 for the first time, amazing!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rop6Z70u_4

Mike don't do this to me

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
hah wow a few more years see you all 2021 guys

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

"It will be ready when it is ready" looks like

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Claes Oldenburger posted:

This is my hope, which I don't think too far fetched.

It does stealth the same way DXHR did, which was a huge plus in my book because DXHR is a good stealth game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I think you can count on a 2020 release. It's too good to resist.

Deus Ex HR does a good job of aping the original's gameplay, but the writing is just awful. Lazy speculation on the future from the vantage point of 2013 or whenever it was released. No characters act like human beings. The world doesn't make sense as a prequel. Augmentation is elevated to a crazy level of prominence as a social issue. Basically everything in the Ross' Game Dungeon review is on point. Mankind Divided was more of the same which turned me off even though I got it for free. Just play the original Deus Ex with mods. Or Ruiner.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 15, 2018