Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FAUXTON posted:

He was a pretty big rear end in a top hat, from basically ordering his men occupying New Orleans to consider any woman who wasn't polite a whore, to blatant war profiteering, to being a bad general.

It's important to remember that those "women who weren't polite" were dumping buckets of poo poo on Union troops and basically doing everything they could to sabotage the Union occupation, then hiding behind the Victorian era gender norms. His orders did give the South a handy propaganda coup, I will say that.

Also, he invented the concept of declaring slaves to be "contraband" as a deliberate gently caress you to the Virginia slaveholders who were demanding he return all the escaped slaves who had taken refuge at Fort Monroe (many of them having escaped while being forced to build fortifications for the local Confederate forces). "Oh, so you want me to return your "property"? :lol: no!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

Another good flag was a hedgehog with the motto I AM ENFOLDED IN MY VIRTUE. All the company flags in that regiment had symbolic animals, but the hedgehog in particular is an old symbol of the landsknechts/reiselaeufer, and that may have been what they were going for.

Thats a pretty cute hedgehog, but I'm having problems getting over that fantastic cat(??) with a little pike or halberd or whatever that is next to the grumpy owl(?). Is this all supposed to be some symbolic stuff or is it just a funny doodle by someone in their journal?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Synnr posted:

Thats a pretty cute hedgehog, but I'm having problems getting over that fantastic cat(??) with a little pike or halberd or whatever that is next to the grumpy owl(?). Is this all supposed to be some symbolic stuff or is it just a funny doodle by someone in their journal?
This is the work of Urs Graf, goldsmith, painter, maker of the oldest etching with a signature on it, maker of the only two pieces of art from the early 1500s that portray war in a negative light (one of them's called Schrecken des Krieges by moderns, and is my favorite art), and Reiselaufer. It's almost certainly symbolic (like the Grossmesser and the empty purse means our job doesn't pay what they said it would), but Graf also has a pretty distinctive sense of humor so it was probably also intended to be funny.

:nws: http://bibliodyssey.blogspot.de/2007/01/graphic-mercenary.html :nws: unless you have a job like his.

Check out his Scourging of Christ--in the Germanosphere at the time it's customary for all soldiers in art relating to the Bible to be depicted as Landsknechts/Reiselaeufer (and for St. Paul before his conversion to be depicted as a mercenary colonel), but what does that mean when the artist drawing mercenaries torturing his God is also a mercenary himself?

On another note, check out the naked woman on the heart toward which all possible weapons are being thrown. Being in love hurts a lot guys (also there is nothing I enjoy more than drawing banners and squiggles)

Edit: The thing I linked said he had a "mysterious disappearance from Basel"--that's bunk. The last time any historian can pin him down is '28/'29, but his final date of death is unknown because he was a mercenary soldier.

Edit 2: The cavalry knows many tricks, the pike square knows one big one. :keke:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 9, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
That series of effort posts about WWI, which then turned into a blog (I regularly read it now), made me think of a similar project, but with a favourite thing of mine, the history and aftermath of the battle in Teutoburg forest.

Now my question is, since it's ancient history and to make this entire ordeal understandable and myth-free, I'd have to explain a lot about what the Romans did before and after the battle, should I post here, or in the Roman history thread, or in both places?

Mind you, there's a lot of war going on, which is why I was inclined to post here, but there's also a lot of Roman and ancient Germanic poo poo going on, which made me think of the other thread.

Right now I'm still reading through my source, so it's not really pressing, but well I would still like to hear your thoughts.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Libluini posted:

That series of effort posts about WWI, which then turned into a blog (I regularly read it now), made me think of a similar project, but with a favourite thing of mine, the history and aftermath of the battle in Teutoburg forest.

Now my question is, since it's ancient history and to make this entire ordeal understandable and myth-free, I'd have to explain a lot about what the Romans did before and after the battle, should I post here, or in the Roman history thread, or in both places?

Mind you, there's a lot of war going on, which is why I was inclined to post here, but there's also a lot of Roman and ancient Germanic poo poo going on, which made me think of the other thread.

Right now I'm still reading through my source, so it's not really pressing, but well I would still like to hear your thoughts.

Just crosspost it, no one will mind.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Libluini posted:

First off, I'd argue for the Ancient History thread as there are more people there who would be able to comment intelligently on the context of the military confrontation rather than just the battle itself.

If you're using a single source why don't you list that here so that others can read it as well and discuss the actual work as well? If you're making a synthetic argument based on a number of sources writing out a big effort post makes sense, but otherwise it just kind of seems like a let's read style summary. Those can be fun, but in that case we should be able to follow along in the original text.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

First off, I'd argue for the Ancient History thread as there are more people there who would be able to comment intelligently on the context of the military confrontation rather than just the battle itself.

If you're using a single source why don't you list that here so that others can read it as well and discuss the actual work as well? If you're making a synthetic argument based on a number of sources writing out a big effort post makes sense, but otherwise it just kind of seems like a let's read style summary. Those can be fun, but in that case we should be able to follow along in the original text.

As it often happens when I'm interested in history, my sources tend to be hard to find/understand for non-Germans. In this case, my source is a book full of sources written by the famous German historian and numismatist Reinhard Wolters. He wrote the book I'm using mostly to show the current stand of research, which is quite different today then just a few years ago. (The book, called "Die Schlacht im Teutoburger Wald", was published in 2008 and 2009 (second edition) and it mentions how most of what we know today about this battle and the Roman history between Elbe and Rhine, was excavated after 2000, which is pretty drat new in my opinion.)

And as always with new stuff coming from Germany, I couldn't find a English translation. I did find the book on amazon.com, if that helps.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Just crosspost it, no one will mind.

Yeah, crossposting does make the most sense, it seems.

Edit:

As a funny aside, I made my final decision to buy this book by looking at the 1-star reviews it collected on Amazon.de: Those reviews were, to a man, from people claiming Reinhard Wolters besmirched the honor of the great Aryan hero, Herrmann the Cherusker. So I thought to myself: "If those crazies are flipping their poo poo like Vogelsang reborn, Wolters must be doing something right." :v:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 9, 2014

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Mein Gott, it's a busy day. The headline news is that somebody finally caught up with the Emden, at the Cocos Islands, but there's more than just that. We've also got British Indian troops preparing to march on Basra (the more things change, the more they stay the same!), French colonial troops preparing to do something dim in Morocco, the Germans attack the French north of Ypres for a change, the Bergmann Offensive in the Caucasus runs out of steam, and the Russians renew the siege of Przemysl.

All that and this too: the Daily Telegraph gets in a hilarious patriotic snit about how it can possibly be that the recent "raid" on Yarmouth isn't prompting a flood of men to the recruiting-offices.

(Anyone who's reading the paper (and I know that some of you are) will also have seen that they're still obsessed with the London Scottish's exploits at Messines; when news of Emden breaks, the two stories will appear on the news-stands together. "Emden Sunk! London Scottish in Action! Read all about it!" Leading to a semi-popular wartime joke. "Who sunk the Emden?" "Don't know." "The London Scottish!")

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Libluini posted:

And as always with new stuff coming from Germany, I couldn't find a English translation. I did find the book on amazon.com, if that helps.

loving awesome. See, this right here is why you need to tell us what you're reading, because as it happens I've been searching loving high and low for good texts on classical/early medieval (pre-Carolingian) Germany. I've scrounged up a few but didn't really want to spend a huge chunk of time slogging through the German-language stuff unless they were synthetic texts that would tl;dr the last 60 years of German academics yelling at each other.

This looks to be a pretty perfect plug for one particularly pernicious gap in my knowledge. Thanks for the link, and I mean that sincerely.

quote:

"If those crazies are flipping their poo poo like Vogelsang reborn, Wolters must be doing something right." :v:

This logic is unassailable.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Kemper Boyd posted:

Pro-Conferates hated Butler because he was a radical abolitionist, and his stint as military governor in New Orleans made him extremely hated in the South. So he gets a bad rep. As a military commander, he was somewhat mediocre but he managed to organize the occupation of New Orleans better than anyone else could have.

Yeah, it should be stressed that the locals were giddy with anticipation of the Union garrison being decimated by yellow fever and other tropical disease, but Butler managed to organize sanitation in the city more effectively than anyone else ever had and thus keep his troops perfectly healthy. He was bad about pressing up the Mississippi, but his management of New Orleans itself was pretty effective, all things considered.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

dublish posted:

Joe Johnston was the South's McClellan analogue
I'd disagree strongly with this. Johnston understood that the Union had the edge in manpower and material, and unlike McClellan, wasn't just being fed bullshit. His withdrawal up the Peninsula was well conducted, and his campaign in Georgia slowed down Sherman and inflicted considerable casualties while generally minimizing Confederate losses. Admittedly, he didn't have considerable success when on the offensive, but his plans were sound if over-complicated. Seven Pines and Bentonville both demonstrated Johnston finding an opportunity to concentrate his smaller forces and achieve a local advantage against a numerically superior enemy, and Johnston seized the initiative with relish. Both Sherman and Grant respected the guy, and Grant apparently figured that Johnston was going for a Fabian sort of deal, hoping to draw out the war long enough to completely exhaust the North. Johnston was, I think, an excellent general whose caution was based on a clear understanding that the Union armies he faced legitimately outnumbered him be a large margin and who would take the chance to go on the offensive if he could achieve it without risking too much.

Johnston's big problem was that he was sort of a drama queen and couldn't play politics nicely with Davis or other Generals, which led to things like Hood writing Davis to complain about the lack of aggressiveness of the army, and then Hood getting the job when Davis gets fed up with Johnston and removes him from command in Georgia. Which, uh, did not go well for the Confederacy.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Trin Tragula posted:

(Anyone who's reading the paper (and I know that some of you are) will also have seen that they're still obsessed with the London Scottish's exploits at Messines; when news of Emden breaks, the two stories will appear on the news-stands together. "Emden Sunk! London Scottish in Action! Read all about it!" Leading to a semi-popular wartime joke. "Who sunk the Emden?" "Don't know." "The London Scottish!")

If the Calcutta Light Horse can sink ships, I see no reason why the London Scottish can't :colbert:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
So it's the 1500s and you're a barber-surgeon, perhaps following the wars to learn your trade. Your patient might have a fractured skull. How can you tell? If he does, where is the fracture? Even if you scalp him, it can be hard to see, if the fracture's small or, you know, if there's blood everywhere because you just loving scalped a guy. So the thing you do (according to a bunch of people who are not our author, but he sets it down here because early modern authors never shut up), is you take a lute-string...

SCIENCE

Edit:
http://earlymodernmedicine.com/wounded-at-war/
http://www.medhistorian.com/2014/08/surgeons-at-war.html?spref=tw

Edit 2:
I know way more about early modern medicine than I do about modern medicine, which makes doctor's visits a little bit of a surprise each time. A pleasant surprise, usually.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 10, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

HEY GAL posted:

So it's the 1500s and you're a barber-surgeon, perhaps following the wars to learn your trade. Your patient might have a fractured skull. How can you tell? If he does, where is the fracture? Even if you scalp him, it can be hard to see, if the fracture's small or, you know, if there's blood everywhere because you just loving scalped a guy. So the thing you do (according to a bunch of people who are not our author, but he sets it down here because early modern authors never shut up), is you take a lute-string...

SCIENCE

Edit:
http://earlymodernmedicine.com/wounded-at-war/
http://www.medhistorian.com/2014/08/surgeons-at-war.html?spref=tw

Jesus. I love non-peer-reviewed medicine. Has that ever been found to work, or is it just something a person thought up that sounded plausible at the time?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Chamale posted:

Jesus. I love non-peer-reviewed medicine. Has that ever been found to work, or is it just something a person thought up that sounded plausible at the time?
Ah, but Pare is their peer, and he is reviewing it. He's very careful to mention in his writings whether or not he tried something himself and if it worked.

quote:

…. as for burns caused by gunpowder, I have never found anything special that distinguishes their treatment from that of other burns.

I then told him [Sylvius] this story about a kitchen boy of monsieur le Marshal de Montejan who fell into a cauldron of almost boiling oil. When this happened I was sent for and at once went to ask an apothecary for the refrigerant medicines that one was accustomed to apply to burns. A good old village woman, hearing that I was speaking of this burn, advised me to apply, for the first dressing, (for fear that pustules or blisters would result), raw onions crushed with a little salt; I asked the old woman if she had used this in the past and she answered, in her dialect, ‘Yes, sir, by God’s faith’. Then I was agreeable to trying the experiment on this kitchen scullion; and, truly, the next day, the places where the onions had been had no blisters or pustules, and where they had not been all was blistered.

Some time later a German of the guard of the said seigneur de Montejan was very drunk and his flask caught fire and caused great damage to his hands and face, and I was called to dress him. I applied onions to one half of his face and the usual remedies to the other. At the second dressing I found the side where I had applied the onions to have no blisters nor scarring and the other side to be all blistered; and so I planned to write about the effects of these onions.
http://www.jameslindlibrary.org/illustrating/articles/ambroise-pares-accounts-of-new-methods-for-treating-gunshot-wou

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
So... what was in the boiled puppies that made them so good against gunshot wounds?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

So... what was in the boiled puppies that made them so good against gunshot wounds?
No idea.

Here's what to do if you find a weird fissure in the patient's skull and want to know whether it's a fracture or not:

the early modern owns

(Think about it though. Until antisepsis, anaesthesia, antibiotics, and imaging, what we have from earliest antiquity onward is the accrual of knowledge and refinement of technique. As Rodrigo Diaz keeps saying, while this is "archaic," "crude" is probably the wrong word. Monsieur Pare is just as smart as we are, but he can't use technology to look through his patients' bodies.)

(It's like that one Apollo 13 scene where they dump the stuff onto the table, but with medicine. "You do not have X rays or MRI. You do have a flask of ink, a lute string, and a scalping knife/chisel set.")

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 10, 2014

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

I know way more about early modern medicine than I do about modern medicine, which makes doctor's visits a little bit of a surprise each time. A pleasant surprise, usually.

"You know, the leech comes to us on the highest authority!"
"Yes, I'd heard. Dr Hoffman of Stuttgart, isn't it?"
"That's right. The great Hoffman."
"Owner of the largest leech farm in Europe."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I love how cavalier he is about experimenting on his patients. Dude with a burned face? Try the old lady's anti-scarring remedy on one half, leave the other alone. Let's just ignore the fact that the dude looking like loving twoface is going to be a successful result for this test.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

I love how cavalier he is about experimenting on his patients. Dude with a burned face? Try the old lady's anti-scarring remedy on one half, leave the other alone. Let's just ignore the fact that the dude looking like loving twoface is going to be a successful result for this test.
He's a German, there's like thousands of them over here and they go for cheap

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle
I have a feeling scars and binge-drinking induced explosions are both considered pretty cool at the time. Hell, they're pretty cool now in the right milieu.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm surprised nobody pointed out the guy's flask caught fire while he was drinking.

How drunk do you have to be to catch a flask on fire

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 10, 2014

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FAUXTON posted:

I'm surprised nobody pointed out the guy's flask caught fire while he was drinking.

Powder flask

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GAL posted:

Powder flask

:suicide:

Here I am thinking whiskey flask and envisioning some goony-looking guy trying to blow fireballs at his buddies around a brazier suddenly igniting the stuff.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ArchangeI posted:

Germany only paid of the last of the outstanding reparations for WWI in the early 2000s.
2010 actually. They had... reasons for it though.

FAUXTON posted:

More importantly, what are you drinking and do they still make it?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Arquinsiel posted:

I've personally solved a wasp nest problem with fireballs blown from Bacardi 151, but I was using the bottle and what I considered appropriate safety precautions (closing the bottle before lighting the flame) though I would assume soldiers in a 16th century war would be drinking whatever they could find, and raiding the local pharmacist for their medicinal distillations does not seem a bad place to start on such a path.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arquinsiel posted:

Wine and poor life decisions are both still in ready supply.

(This reminds me of some war in which the King of Spain hired Italian, Spanish, and German mercenaries, and the Spanish ended up watering down the Germans' wine in secret because they believed Germans could not be trusted not to drink themselves retarded. I don't know if the French have the same low opinions of German/Bohemian drinking culture--they probably come into less contact with Germans tho.)

FAUXTON posted:

:suicide:

Here I am thinking whiskey flask and envisioning some goony-looking guy trying to blow fireballs at his buddies around a brazier suddenly igniting the stuff.
That's why Pare wrote both of the incidents down--he already knew onions were efficacious for burns that weren't caused by gunpowder, and he wanted to make sure they worked for burns that were. (The open question at the time was whether or not gunpowder poisoned wounds. He used to think it did, later he changed his mind.)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 10, 2014

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GAL posted:

Wine and poor life decisions are both still in ready supply.

(This reminds me of some war in which the King of Spain hired Italian, Spanish, and German mercenaries, and the Spanish ended up watering down the Germans' wine in secret because they believed Germans could not be trusted not to drink themselves retarded. I don't know if the French have the same low opinions of German/Bohemian drinking culture--they probably come into less contact with Germans tho.)
Out of curiosity, was the Irish reputation for drinking and fighting established at this point or is that question outside your experience?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arquinsiel posted:

Out of curiosity, was the Irish reputation for drinking and fighting established at this point or is that question outside your experience?
No idea, sorry. Ask Rabadh I guess

I'm honestly not sure whether the people I study even know the Irish exist.

Edit: Wait, wasn't one of Wallenstein's assassins Irish? OK, they probably know that the Irish are a thing. Do they know what Ireland is, or how the Irish are different from everyone else from that end of the world?

(These are Scots in the service of Gustavus Adolphus, the inscription says "Irish." You know, people from...there...ish. Could a Scot tell the difference between a Saxon and a Bavarian?)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 10, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HEY GAL posted:

Edit: Wait, wasn't one of Wallenstein's assassins Irish? OK, they probably know that the Irish are a thing. Do they know what Ireland is, or how the Irish are different from everyone else from that end of the world?

(These are Scots in the service of Gustavus Adolphus, the inscription says "Irish." You know, people from...there...ish. Could a Scot tell the difference between a Saxon and a Bavarian?)

As soon as the Saxon opens his mouth, I would guess.

But how nice of our ancestors to make the Irish from Ireland indistinguishable from the Insane from Insaneland. :v:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

How common were archers in the 30YW? I think that these are the first that I've seen.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Not drinking so much but the fighting reputation was well established though the Spanish. In 1638 Cardinal Richelieu actually sent 2 secret agents (a pair of Irish Franciscan monks) to Spain to attempt to get the 2 oldest Irish regiments, Tyrone's (O'Neill) and Tyrconnel's (O'Donnell), to switch sides. They didn't switch, but all except 1 of the Irish regiments in French service returned to Ireland for the rebellion of 1641 and the aforementioned Tyrone's and Tyrconnel's regiments stayed in Spain. I'll mention that Irish soldiers also served in non-Irish regiments, as we have mentions of Irish officers on both sides at Rocroi.

Irish and Scottish guys get mixed up a lot partly because the Latin name for the Irish is the Scoti. The other reason is because until the kilt becomes a thing, Irish and Highland Scots were culturally very similar. The saffron leine was a common garment up to about 1600, when the Irish begin to adopt more continental fashions and the Scots get their kilts. While a lot of the native soldiers operation in Ireland in 1600 look outlandish to their English opponents and Spanish allies, by 1641 they're largely indistinguishable from British.

As for drinking, the 19th century really did a number on our drinking reputation.

HEY GAL posted:

Edit: Wait, wasn't one of Wallenstein's assassins Irish?

Yep Wallenstein was killed by Irish and Scottish officers.

edit:

Hogge Wild posted:

How common were archers in the 30YW? I think that these are the first that I've seen.

Bows were a very common Highland weapon and it wouldn't be out of place for a guy to bring along his bow. I'd imagine he'd probably ditch it once he got his gun though. The usual use of the bow in Highland warfare (bows were used less in Ireland) was ambush or to deploy them with the swordsmen and take full part in the charge.

Rabhadh fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 10, 2014

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Did they ever develop a way to somehow retrieve scouting aircraft that used the catapult system after launch?

Or were the lost planes simply just written off and replaced then everyone moved to Aircraft Carriers?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
The HMS Arc Royal for example could carry seaplanes that could be hoisted back onboard or "terrestrial" aircraft that would return to land. These were sometimes ditched in the water, though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SeanBeansShako posted:

Did they ever develop a way to somehow retrieve scouting aircraft that used the catapult system after launch?

Or were the lost planes simply just written off and replaced then everyone moved to Aircraft Carriers?

The typical method was to just winch them out of the water with a crane.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I think (think) those kinds of planes were usually floatplanes. So you'd launch it, it'd land in the water, and then you'd use a small crane to get it back on board.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Neat, never knew.

For some reason, I was imagining a system with airbags under the wings. Like floaties, but for planes!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jos mulle annettaisiin ase, ruumiita tulisi ihan lähijunassakin, you see.

FAUXTON posted:

The typical method was to just winch them out of the water with a crane.

It must have been frustrating and even dangerous if the sea was anything but calm.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nenonen posted:

It must have been frustrating and even dangerous if the sea was anything but calm.

Yep. It didn't help that many planes were still fabric-skinned on major components at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Nenonen posted:

Very. But there were a few things the ships would do to help, such as turning just before recovery to let the wake smooth the water, and landing/hooking onto a canvas drogue that could be winched close aboard, where the crane would do its work.

Here, though:

are recovered aircrew clinging to a floatplane, that will have to taxi across the water back to its ship.

• Locked thread