Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dauntasa posted:

To be honest, I was wondering why the game's final boss was Tifa throwing trains at you.
Dude, spoiler that poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dauntasa posted:

Hmm. And the trains that she's ridden have all mysteriously disappeared, and are never ridden by the party again. And the train to sector 5 freaked out and sounded the alarm because it thought it was next.

It all makes sense now.

To be honest, I was wondering why the game's final boss was Tifa throwing trains at you.

Cleaving them in two with a giant key during a quick-time event really is the best part of FFVII

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Next updates will come when my PC start working. My $120 10/1mbps ISP is being lovely and my video card is dying. Again. Third world problems.

Alternatively I can sign on Vivendi's ISP for about that same amount of money and gain a 10% discount on World of Warcraft :shepicide:.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Man what is it with the LP Curse? It seems every LP I read has a "Oh poo poo guys my hard drive shivved my GPU"

It's like computers know. "dude, I'm trying to do something here! For the internet!"

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My PC has already died 3 times since the LP started. Granted that's a long time at my slow pace (sorry!) but I'm just considering buying something new entirely instead of keeping this five-years old zombie alive.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elentor posted:

My PC has already died 3 times since the LP started. Granted that's a long time at my slow pace (sorry!) but I'm just considering buying something new entirely instead of keeping this five-years old zombie alive.

I nursed a computer along for 9 years with half-assed improvised repairs and a video card upgrade around 7 years in and kept it playing recent games despite the fact that it was a dinosaur that should have been put down long ago. If I'd had the money I would have bought a new one in a heartbeat because having the loving thing die on me every week got old fast. A computer isn't really gonna last more than a few years unless you put it on life support and doing that results in it begging for the sweet release of death.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

BioMe posted:

Don't mind the joke posts obviously, but it's really just one of those dumb nerdy debates that tends end up with people saying Aerith's death scene would have been more dramatically appropriate if they'd have stopped it for a minute to have Cloud yell "CURE, CURE, CURE! LIFE! LIFE 2!". And I don't trust the internet enough to buy that everyone was going down that road ironically.
?

People who actually like FFV claim that that scene was pretty dramatic. And TV dramas have "LIVE, DAMNIT! Why isn't CPR working on this knife wound?!" scenes for a reason.

AND it would stop "why didn't Cloud just use Phoenix Down lololol" from being a thing.

Videogame Stench
Feb 11, 2011

actually,, ignore this post

Videogame Stench fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 12, 2012

Rockdash
Jan 5, 2010

This thread posted:

Tifa and Sabin

I will create a train throwing GOD, at the tax payer's expense! Then, Beach Vacation!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Ak Gara posted:

Man what is it with the LP Curse? It seems every LP I read has a "Oh poo poo guys my hard drive shivved my GPU"

It's like computers know. "dude, I'm trying to do something here! For the internet!"

Sometimes it's the hard drive instead. It's terrible.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Xander77 posted:

?

People who actually like FFV claim that that scene was pretty dramatic. And TV dramas have "LIVE, DAMNIT! Why isn't CPR working on this knife wound?!" scenes for a reason.

AND it would stop "why didn't Cloud just use Phoenix Down lololol" from being a thing.
It was cheesy. It made perfect sense for FFV to lampshade it because it was never, ever attempting to have a serious story.
In virtually every other Final Fantasy game, it'd be terribly out-of-place.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Final Fantasies should do away with pheonix downs and just have permadeath. It would be more immersive and realistic and have more vissicitude, it would make the story make more sense and be deeper, and would make the game more hardcore and the battles have more tension and strategy and tactics.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Final Fantasies should do away with pheonix downs and just have permadeath. It would be more immersive and realistic and have more vissicitude, it would make the story make more sense and be deeper, and would make the game more hardcore and the battles have more tension and strategy and tactics.

So... if most of your party dies on a boss's last attack of a ten minute battle, oh well, time to load a save or go through the rest of the game without a healer and a summoner, and their associated plotlines?

That might work for Might and Magic, but it doesn't really work in a game with a character-driven plot.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Rockdash posted:

I will create a train throwing GOD, at the tax payer's expense! Then, Beach Vacation!

I can't see imgur pictures when reading threads at work, but I knew exactly what this was a picture of, well done.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Golbez posted:

So... if most of your party dies on a boss's last attack of a ten minute battle, oh well, time to load a save or go through the rest of the game without a healer and a summoner, and their associated plotlines?

That might work for Might and Magic, but it doesn't really work in a game with a character-driven plot.

Sounds like casual talk, it would be a great change for hardcore final fantasy players and fans of roguelikes.
And they could just add more characters, like Chrono Cross. Cloud dies? It's okay, you can just make Poshul your main character. No problem.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Pretty sure that's exactly what Fire Emblem does. All the characters are unique and have portraits and personalities and poo poo but if they take a crit lance to the face they are gone forever.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
...I'm not sure how facetiousness wasn't detected even when I mentioned replacing Cloud with Poshul.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Dauntasa posted:

Pretty sure that's exactly what Fire Emblem does. All the characters are unique and have portraits and personalities and poo poo but if they take a crit lance to the face they are gone forever.

Even the plot-critical characters?

And I detected it after Poshul. :golfclap:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I thought that's what they did in FFXII before release.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Golbez posted:

Even the plot-critical characters?

If the main character dies, you lose the battle and have to start over. Anyone else just dies forever. Sometimes there's one or two other guys who are also super-plot important so if they die then, in terms of plot, they are still alive but too badly wounded to ever fight again.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
You guys are thinking of Final Fantasy Tactics. That has permadeath for everyone aside from Ramza and NPCs.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Mogambo posted:

You guys are thinking of Final Fantasy Tactics. That has permadeath for everyone aside from Ramza and NPCs.

Nah, Fire Emblem does it too. Difference is that in Tactics you've got 3 turns to revive them before they're gone for good, but in Fire Emblem as soon as their HP hits zero they're toast.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

Dauntasa posted:

Nah, Fire Emblem does it too. Difference is that in Tactics you've got 3 turns to revive them before they're gone for good, but in Fire Emblem as soon as their HP hits zero they're toast.

Yeah, but Fire Emblem isn't a Final Fantasy game. :colbert:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Mogambo posted:

But you still have to let them lie on the ground for 3 [everyone's] turns. It's more like Tactics Ogre, instant permadeath. Still plot-escape-devices for main characters, though. Pity, I'd start with Vice and work my way from there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mogambo posted:

Yeah, but Fire Emblem isn't a Final Fantasy game. :colbert:

Valkyria Chronicles does this as well. If a unit goes down, you have three turns to reach them and the medic will then extract them from the battlefield (if an enemy unit touches them while they're down, they die). There's a total of three story-key characters (out of 50 usable units) that will just 'withdraw', the rest will actually die.

And after reading through this thread, I like to think Hojo has a massive slot machine stashed somewhere in his lab.

"What am I going to cross-breed today?..." *pulls lever* "A tonberry aaaand.... A Malboro! GENIUS!"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dauntasa posted:

I nursed a computer along for 9 years with half-assed improvised repairs and a video card upgrade around 7 years in and kept it playing recent games despite the fact that it was a dinosaur that should have been put down long ago. If I'd had the money I would have bought a new one in a heartbeat because having the loving thing die on me every week got old fast. A computer isn't really gonna last more than a few years unless you put it on life support and doing that results in it begging for the sweet release of death.

That's roughly the same thing that happened to mine. At its worst point, right before I ditched it for a laptop, it was taking 20 mins to load, and sounded like a jet engine taking off. And then the fucker would overheat, and I'd have to start all over again.

Elentor posted:

Would a phoenix down help
These things can't be helped. Don't worry.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Zinco posted:

The Hypello in Final Fantasy X are this exactly.
RIIIIIDE THE SHOOPUFF!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I think that was just FFX, which only had Poison and Slow not attached to a physical attack anyway and had the Scan tips to tell you things worked.
Nnnnnnnno I'm pretty sure FFIX had that as well actually, I certainly remember the word "immune" popping up in battle somewhere.

So I finally caught up and I am SO EXCITED to be here in this thread at last and up to date properly, right in the middle of my favourite part of the drat game. Can't wait for our visit to some places both old and new.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Yonic Symbolism posted:

If they did away with save points I might unironically get behind this. And of course self destruct should still be in as an enemy skill / blue magic.

Also, it's "phoenix", not "pheonix".

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
gently caress it, let's just call them Fenix Downs and be done with it. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Bravo posted:

gently caress it, let's just call them Fenix Downs and be done with it. :v:

I don't know whether to applaud or weep at this.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Try 'em both, multitask!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm surprised we had that entire conversation and no one said the plural of Phoenix Down is Phoenix Down.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Captain Bravo posted:

Try 'em both, multicast!

Fixed for thematic consistency and Red Mage supremacy. :colbert:

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm surprised we had that entire conversation and no one said the plural of Phoenix Down is Phoenix Down.
Phoenix :downs:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Bravo posted:

Try 'em both, multitask!

I would, but that would count as both Fury and Sadness, which would just make them cancel each other out.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
FFXII tells your when your poo poo is immune.

It also gives me a BJ every morning to wake me up.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Well, it has to make up for the gameplay somehow ;).

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
So if you summon Phoenix when it's molting do you get a large free supply of its down?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

IHatePugs posted:

So if you summon Phoenix when it's molting do you get a large free supply of its down?

Nah, the feathers have to be prepped in a certain way in order to work. Otherwise everybody would be trying to game the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

Brainamp posted:

Nah, the feathers have to be prepped in a certain way in order to work. Otherwise everybody would be trying to game the market.

So it's basically kosher salt.

• Locked thread