Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Felime
Jul 10, 2009

The Merry Marauder posted:

/\ Depends whether you believe the infantry creation rulebooks or Field Manual: ComStar, which has it at 28 man platoons. I prefer the fluff, because absent the creation of ComStar-sized APCs, changing organization for numerical fetishism doesn't make any sense.

What is?

6000 infantrymen

The us standing army is somewhere around half a million men strong.

A real life regiment is somewhere in the area of 5000 men.

The successor states and comstar really don't do infantry.

The entire comguard, if composed entirely of infantry, would be somewhere around 200k soldiers. Which isn't really so bad for comstar, as the comguard is supposed to an elite secret force/security guards prior to the clans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
/\Each Davion-style RCT has 5 infantry regiments (by TO&E, whether or not they can actually field that many is an open question. Staying well away from real-world comparisons, Inner Sphere forces don't overdo the infantry because they're a logistical pain in the rear end in a Drop/JumpShip setting, and the raiding doctrines pre-3028 straight-up discourage offensive use of infantry.

goatface posted:

Operating on a 36:1 Infantry:Mech ratio. They should be able to throw around troops by the tens of thousands without thinking about it.

Well, I figure that the ComGuard was never designed to be what it was on Tukayyid. It's meant to be a garrison and protection force, and one designed to be relatively low profile. Protecting an HPG, you don't really need or want thousands of infantry - just makes you look aggressive and the logistics suck. Better to have a company or so for base security or urban defense and make use of the far more efficient Mechs and armor for actual fighting.

Apropos of nothing, if I had to pick a realistic ideal Level III for HPG defense (although 'against what' is a valid question), I'd say 6 aerofighters, 12 Mechs, 12 vehicles, and 6 infantry platoons. Flexible and fun.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 24, 2011

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

/\ Depends whether you believe the infantry creation rulebooks or Field Manual: ComStar, which has it at 28 man platoons. I prefer the fluff, because absent the creation of ComStar-sized APCs, changing organization for numerical fetishism doesn't make any sense.

What is?

The infantry creation rulebooks (check TechManual) say ComStar uses 36 man squads. The recent ones. And as for numerical fetishism, there's actually a reason for going down to 6: the extra heavy weapons. In a 36 man ComStar platoon, you have 12 heavy weapons, while in a 28 man IS platoon, you get a mere 8. ComStar soldiers are better trained and more professional as a combined-arms force, while the houses tend to use conscripts, so they have more people capable of operating said heavy weapons and also need fewer leaders to beat/inspire/etc the soldiers under them.

Basically, they sacrifice some degree of casualty soak for additional firepower and versatility. It's a worthwhile tradeoff because ComStar has better body armor, better trained men, and more advanced support weapons, as well as being able to draw from a very educated populace (Terra and the Hidden Worlds) who are likely to become proficient with advanced support weapons more rapidly.

And yes, support weapons do tend to require more training on them than rifles, if only because they're more vital to a platoon's effectiveness.

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 24, 2011

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You have to figure its because of the transport capabilities, at least vis a vis bringing them along with your 'mech regiments. Your average Merchant class Jumpship carries three dropships. Are you going to lug around 'mechs or footsloggers in your three ships? Odds are you're bringing 'mechs and fighters first, vehicles second, and whatever space you have left is for the PBI.

Now why planets aren't defended by thousands and thousands of infantry, is a better question. Though I seem to recall that House Liao, at least, tended to do just that.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

MJ12 posted:

The infantry creation rulebooks (check TechManual) say ComStar uses 36 man squads. The recent ones. And as for numerical fetishism, there's actually a reason for going down to 6: the extra heavy weapons. In a 36 man ComStar platoon, you have 12 heavy weapons, while in a 28 man IS platoon, you get a mere 8. ComStar soldiers are better trained and more professional as a combined-arms force, while the houses tend to use conscripts, so they have more people capable of operating said heavy weapons and also need fewer leaders to beat/inspire/etc the soldiers under them.

Those heavy weapon rules only came into play at TechManual, but I suppose it makes sense in the context of them as primarily defensive troops. I prefer the less idiosyncratic organization that doesn't require a platoon to use two Maxims or the like.

Battletech is sufficiently full of retcons and discons that I've taken to just deciding what I like/makes most sense and going with that, given a print source. YMMV, obviously.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They are. But most of that infantry are loyal to the planetary governor. Most of the rulers on the border worlds don't give a poo poo who they pay taxes to as long as they get left alone. You'll only see local conventional troops getting involved if you go after civilians, upset the status quo, or the ruler has strong ties to the nation.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Simply put that infantry platoon? they are not grunts, they are trained anti battlemech commandos, your normal grunt will piss himself and run at the sight of an urbie, these guys will charge an atlas, scramble up it and plant bombs in the joints. So yeah, not a lot of them. Actually, the piloting for infantry is replaced with ANTI-BATTLEMECH skill. How good they are at loving up mechs.

In truth you use infantry inside a city where they have the most advantages at the risk of dropping a building on them.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 24, 2011

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Those heavy weapon rules only came into play at TechManual, but I suppose it makes sense in the context of them as primarily defensive troops. I prefer the less idiosyncratic organization that doesn't require a platoon to use two Maxims or the like.

Battletech is sufficiently full of retcons and discons that I've taken to just deciding what I like/makes most sense and going with that, given a print source. YMMV, obviously.

To put it into comparison, the US military uses, I believe, 8 man squads, with 4 support weapons each, like so:

Squad Leader
Assistant Squad Leader
Rifleman
Rifleman
Grenadier
Grenadier
Machine Gunner
Machine Gunner

So 6 man squads with 2 heavy weapons apiece aren't all that odd, especially since Battletech heavy weapons tend to be things the size of modern anti-armor rocket launchers (infantry SRM/LRMs) heavy machine guns (most support MGs) and so on.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Not to be forgotten are jumppack infantry squads. 28 dudes with jumpjets coming at you maggot.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

It doesn't make any sense except when you're talking about ComStar, the Most Revered Order of the Most Holy Cellphone. Numerical fetishism has always, historically, been an enormous part of religious and religion-themed organizational structures, and using it for the most comprehensively religious institution in Battletech makes perfect sense to me, at least. In such matters, faith tends to trump practicality.

(Your point about the APCs is an excellent one, but gently caress, it's ComStar. Just figure they made room for nine extra guys by pulling out all the safety harnesses and crash webbing and seats and other assorted 'safety-and-comfort-miscellanea' and replacing them with a motivational poster featuring a Blake epigram. Zealots will stand for the twelve hour car ride! Only heathens demand seats!)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
They compare very well to US army formations actually, which only have anything that would qualify as a battletech heavy weapon at the platoon level. iirc a standard 42 man infantry platoon will have one weapons squad with 2 machineguns and 2 antitank weapons.

You can fit a lot more than 2 MGs and an SRM2 in that many battletech infantry

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 24, 2011

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

And the regiment, which is three battalions; 9 companies; 27 lances; 108 combat units. Regiments will usually have a command lance or command company, though those are frequently uninvolved in actual combat. Regiments usually have other lesser regiments attached to them - a mech regiment will usually have 1-3 regiments of vehicles, 2-5 infantry regiments and 1-2 aerospace regiments attached to it, at least in terms of logistics.

That's a practice currently only done regularily by the FedSuns, though, with the unit type getting designated as a Regimental Combat Team. 1 Mech regiment, 3 armor regiments, 5 infantry regiments (2 light/motorised, 2 mechanised and one jumptroops), an independent artillery battalion and a wing of aerospace fighters, though there's some variance involved, the largest being the March Militia formations that have only 2 armor and 3 infantry regiments and no ASF contingent.

The other Houses might attach units to a Mech regiment, but only temporarily. The Feddies are the only ones with permanent RCT formations. (Also, going by the 4th SW NAIS atlas, many regiments have their own organic assets like artillery, scout helicopters, combat engineers etc. in addition to their 3 line battalions, plus there's a certain level of combined arms where for example a tank regiment might have two tank battalions and a mechanised infantry battalion.)

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It doesn't make any sense except when you're talking about ComStar, the Most Revered Order of the Most Holy Cellphone. Numerical fetishism has always, historically, been an enormous part of religious and religion-themed organizational structures, and using it for the most comprehensively religious institution in Battletech makes perfect sense to me, at least. In such matters, faith tends to trump practicality.

(Your point about the APCs is an excellent one, but gently caress, it's ComStar. Just figure they made room for nine extra guys by pulling out all the safety harnesses and crash webbing and seats and other assorted 'safety-and-comfort-miscellanea' and replacing them with a motivational poster featuring a Blake epigram. Zealots will stand for the twelve hour car ride! Only heathens demand seats!)

Touché. "Stand together! The Embrace of your Brothers in Blake's Love is the only shock absorber you will need!"

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So does anyone know what the total force sizes for the various factions are at this point?

I'm not expecting exact numbers for obvious reasons, but is there any indication of what's out there at all?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

We have extremely accurate figures for the five Great Houses in 3025, and ComStar up until Tukayyid.

Assuming force sizes stayed pretty static we can assume they were pretty close prior to the Clan invasion. I believe most of the House armies hovered between 65-90 regiments, and the Com Guard have exactly 147 regiments (the 72 divisions that make up the 12 armies, plus the one division of the Terran Security Force and the one merc regiment they employ, Brion's Legion).

There's really only a few time periods we have exact numbers for: 3025, 3049, and now 3080. Also kind of 3067, but Field Manual: Updates was written in committee and the different parts do not mesh up well together.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Speaking of infantry:

The best part of infantry is that if you have 2 support weapons or more per squad, you use the range brackets of the support weapons due to abstraction.

Vibro-axes are a primary weapon. So if you take a squad with say, 5 vibroaxes and 2 ER Laser rifles, you can axe people in the face at 9 hexes.

There's some serious throwing arms on these infantry.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

paragon1 posted:

So does anyone know what the total force sizes for the various factions are at this point?

I'm not expecting exact numbers for obvious reasons, but is there any indication of what's out there at all?

Well, that's complicated, because the closest numbers for the Inner Sphere are from 3025, and we're in 3032. Still, since there doesn't seem to have been a Fourth Succession War, the numbers from 3025 are probably still good. If they're no longer exact, they're probably in the neighborhood, anyway.

House Kurita - 80 Regiments
House Marik - 60 Regiments
House Liao - 54 Regiments
House Steiner - 75 Regiments
House Davion - 110 Regiments

Now that's only 'mech forces, of course. House Marik, for instance, is listed as having some 700 armor, air, and infantry regiments as well. So figure about a 10:1 to 12:1 ratio of other stuff to 'mechs to get the conventional stuff. House Liao, for instance, uses a lot more of their non-mech stuff to delay invaders until their mobile 'mech forces arrive, so they probably have a 12:1 or better, while House Davion has the whole RCT thing where each 'mech regiment has its own collection of attached armor and air and infantry, so they may be fewer. That's just guesswork, though, since they don't go out of their way to count the non-mech stuff very much.

Now the Clans? God (or PTN) only knows. The earliest numbers we have from the Clans are from 3050 or so, and Clan history is much different in this universe. Whole Clans that were wiped out in the "real" history are still around in the game here, so even the 3050 numbers can't be considered even close.

Likewise, the ComGuards didn't start deploying in large numbers until after the War of 3039, and it's not until 3050 that we get any concrete deployment numbers. ComStar has access to vast amounts Star League material, but how much of it they've managed to get manned with trained mechwarriors? Again, only PTN has those numbers.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 24, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, the 147 regiments are mostly theoretical. As far as things we know can actually lay a beat-down on someone, the only units that have been shown to have teeth are the Terran guard division, Brion's Legion, and the Com Guard 1st Division.

1st Division, though? I feel bad for anyone who tangles with them. They're not just good, they're batshit. 1st Division is made up mostly of ROM operatives who find that they need a BattleMech to get through their daily murders more quickly.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 24, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

paragon1 posted:

It depends a LOT on which sourcebook you take from. Unfortunately a lot of the earlier (FASA-era) stuff was not well edited for consistency.

The best canon gauge for this period is probably the 20 Year Update, which covers the IS in 3050 - almost literally just before the arrival of the Clans. As of that point?

Davion has ~92 mech regiments.
Steiner has ~107 (skewed a bit since most of the newly created Fed-Com regiments are in Steiner space).
Kurita has ~99 regiments.
Marik has ~55.
Liao has ~23.

Of the minor powers, St. Ives has ~5, the FRR has ~14, ComStar has ~24 (officially), the Taurians ~12, the Magistracy ~4, the OA ~3... and roughly ~115 mech regiments worth of mercenaries spread between the whole IS.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tempest_56 posted:

It depends a LOT on which sourcebook you take from. Unfortunately a lot of the earlier (FASA-era) stuff was not well edited for consistency.

The best canon gauge for this period is probably the 20 Year Update, which covers the IS in 3050 - almost literally just before the arrival of the Clans. As of that point?

Davion has ~92 mech regiments.
Steiner has ~107 (skewed a bit since most of the newly created Fed-Com regiments are in Steiner space).
Kurita has ~99 regiments.
Marik has ~55.
Liao has ~23.

Of the minor powers, St. Ives has ~5, the FRR has ~14, ComStar has ~24 (officially), the Taurians ~12, the Magistracy ~4, the OA ~3... and roughly ~115 mech regiments worth of mercenaries spread between the whole IS.

Eh, can't really take anything that takes place after the 4th War to have much relevance. The 4th War gutted the CapCon's industry after all, giving the FedCom a huge leg up and destroying over half the CCAF and crippling their ability to rebuild.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Also in regards to infantry and its numbers you have to remember that this is a fictional universe where big loving robots with cannons strapped to them are scientifically viable and awesome. It's called the suspension of disbelief. :colbert:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
^^ arguing is fun.

jng2058 posted:

You have to figure its because of the transport capabilities, at least vis a vis bringing them along with your 'mech regiments. Your average Merchant class Jumpship carries three dropships. Are you going to lug around 'mechs or footsloggers in your three ships? Odds are you're bringing 'mechs and fighters first, vehicles second, and whatever space you have left is for the PBI.

But you shouldn't ever HAVE to transport infantry. You keep a fraction of a percent of the population on a given world trained as effective infantry, you've got a poo poo load of troops to play with whenever you need to. Even if it's one in a thousand, a planet with a population of 10 million (i.e. barely populated) gives you 10,000 troops to play with.

Infantry should be CHEAP.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

goatface posted:

^^ arguing is fun.

But you shouldn't ever HAVE to transport infantry. You keep a fraction of a percent of the population on a given world trained as effective infantry, you've got a poo poo load of troops to play with whenever you need to. Even if it's one in a thousand, a planet with a population of 10 million (i.e. barely populated) gives you 10,000 troops to play with.

Sure, on defense. When you're defending a planet, you can try and do that.

But when you're on offense? Not so much. You have limited lift and jump capability, so every PBI you bring is a little less ammo for your 'mech, less spare parts, fewer techs, fewer mechwarriors, and so on. When you're invading someone you have to factor in the transport costs to get them there.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

goatface posted:

^^ arguing is fun.

just gonna quote this

Defiance Industries posted:

They are. But most of that infantry are loyal to the planetary governor. Most of the rulers on the border worlds don't give a poo poo who they pay taxes to as long as they get left alone. You'll only see local conventional troops getting involved if you go after civilians, upset the status quo, or the ruler has strong ties to the nation.

Local troops getting involved risks turning a quick takeover into an occupation. Nobody wants that.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
And, as was said earlier, while those infantry may be willing to defend infrastructure and civilians, they're not usually going to be willing to charge the enemy's bases. They're there to defend their poo poo. If you tried to wreck their poo poo scorched earth style, they'd shoot you too.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

goatface posted:

^^ arguing is fun.

They probably were in the First and Second Succession Wars. But you have to remember, until the Jihad, everyone was suffering from, well, the fact that the way of total warfare pioneered in WWII and adopted until everyone lost 500 years or so of technological sophistication, is extremely intensive.

At this point, every Successor State is deathly afraid of what happens when the total war machine starts up. Because they can still build nuclear weapons. Nobody wants to restart total war because it can still happen and the end result will doom everyone to horrific death.

What happens when/if a Successor State becomes too weak and decides to throw it all out the window, though? Now that's an interesting question.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What you guys have to remember is that refrigeration is obviously lostech. That means that transporting infantry means you have to bring along fresh food and keep it preserved somehow. (Vacuum packing and canned food and I guess drying meat and fruit is also lostech). And attacking a planet with hordes of infantry means coming up with massive amounts of food from somewhere. That might work on a farm world where you can raid their stocks but most other places it's too risky and difficult.

So, mechs are better because you have more firepower per mouth-to-feed.

In other words, <blah blah blah> and therefore, mechs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Magni posted:

That's a practice currently only done regularily by the FedSuns, though

Not entirely true. The Free Worlds League has been using combined-arms 'Mech and Infantry since the succession wars started; they just never managed to accomplish anything with them the way Hanse Davion did.

Leperflesh posted:

What you guys have to remember is that refrigeration is obviously lostech.

It's not, canning is just easier so all military rations are canned. Victor Davion makes jokes about it with Kai Allard-Liao and Hohiro Kurita in the second book of the Blood of Kerensky trilogy.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

MJ12 posted:

What happens when/if a Successor State becomes too weak and decides to throw it all out the window, though? Now that's an interesting question.

They would be literally committing suicide, either in the inevitable nuclear retaliation that would follow, or in front of a firing squad if the other houses are feeling a lot of restraint. What would WE do to a small state with short range nuclear capability who obliterated a couple percent of the globe? They can't ICBM the rest of the inner sphere like a superpower can the world.

It's not mutually assured destruction, It's personally assured destruction, and the other guy gets a bloody nose. Hell. Their own people might lynch them before the other states can.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
One of the big reasons the Free Worlds League continued to produce 'Mechs and upgrade kits for the Federated Suns and Draconis Combine was because they were convinced the Clans had nuked the city of Edo on Turtle Bay. The Clans hadn't, but a bombardment by a Naval Gauss Rifle pretty much gets the same results with less fallout.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Combat Theater Vote 5 Results:

The ComGuards win with 42 votes!
The Marik Militia could only muster nine troopers before the arrival of their honored guests!
The Goliath Scorpions sent three seekers out for votes, but only one and a half of them returned!

A Precentor in white robes stood in silence, running a bare palm over the foot actuator of his beloved Grasshopper. He quietly lamented the poor machine’s fate—the white and gold looked so wrong, so unfamiliar.

The things he had done in that ‘Mech. The things he’d done for Gunzburg. The things he had lost for Gunzburg.

Tor Miraborg turned away, his long white robes trailing behind him. When the Smiling One had finally, inevitably put out the death warrant for Miraborg and his family for their ‘subversion,’ he’d turned to the only bastion capable of sheltering a Rasalhague Separatist.

ComStar had taken him in, gladly; and had sheltered his beloved daughter. It was his greatest joy that she would grow up on Gunzburg… and his greatest lament that she would grow up without him. He’d wanted to give her the world—his world, free of the Draconis Combine’s mindless oppression. Instead, he’d cost her a life with her father.

With the careless confidence of a man who knew he was absolutely in charge, Miraborg stepped onto the bridge of the Sword of Damocles. The Overlord-class Dropship was finishing its final preparations landing while its sister ships, the Gordian Knot and the Quality of Mercy did likewise. The engines changed pitch as they found and fought the first traces of planetary atmosphere.

Below his feet, the world of Richmond—a stark desert of great mesas and interminable dust storms—spun silently through the darkness. He regarded it on the holoscreen in the center of the bridge.

“What’s the status of the Blake’s Blessing?” he demanded.

“They’ve begun deceleration, Precentor. They’ll be at the Nadir point in less than twenty four hours.”

He nodded quietly—the Blake’s Blessing had been the one concession he’d been willing to allow Precentor Mori. A single ship, dispatched to the Nadir Jump Point, to look for traces of Myndo Waterley’s passing. Miraborg wasn’t sure whether he hoped she’d passed from the system, or from this world entirely.

He regarded the tiny white dot on the sensors: the Blake’s Blessing was a Union-class vessel, carrying only two Level IIs. The first consisted entirely of vacuum-trained jump troopers: an assault force, should the unthinkable happen and Myndo’s jumpship be found still in-system. The second was a group of six Battlemechs he was already regretting conceding to Mori’s plan. Fighters would have been better—but they simply didn’t have any to spare. At least, he thought, the ‘Mechs could stand on the hull and be ablative armor if the Clans had any real force at the jump point.

Captain Njangu White stared into his holoscreens with the intensity of a man trying to unhear whatever joke the universe’s sick sense of humor had just made him the punch line of. The usual hum of activity had died in uncomfortable, nervous silence. Njangu jumped as someone coughed—it was as loud as a gunshot. He shot the rating a dark glare.

Finally, he asked the question, “Well? Can we abort?”

“N-no sir.”

“Sensors?”

Another crewman replied, mechanically. “Diagnostics are fine, sir. The readings are accurate. It’s a Lola-Three.”

He’d have killed for a glass of water, his throat so dry his response came out a croak, “I see.”

“Sir!” another officer called, “Mass readings have shifted. They’ve cut their sail, they’re launching dropships! Sir, the Lola is accelerating!”

Njangu ran a hand over his bald head. “Blake’s Will be done,” he whispered under his breath. He was about to order them to ram—even though they’d simply never survive to get close enough—when his communications officer reported a hail from the enemy commander.

His holoscreen was filled with the image of nightmares, a man-beast straight out of Kuritan mythology—a demon with a horse’s head and massive, fang-like teeth. The mask was so lifelike, it took Njangu a few moments to realize its nature.

“Unidentified Dropship,” the enemy commander announced, “you are trespassing in sovereign territory of Clan Hell’s Horses. If you attempt to run, we will destroy you. If you attempt to hide, we will destroy you. If you attempt to fight, we will destroy you. With what forces will you defend your dropship?”

ComGuards:
CLNT-1-2LT Clint – Jim Westwood (g3 p5) (Shiva Asori)
WTH-1S Whitworth – Ruput Marsden (g4 p4) (Uberjew)
WVE-5N Wyvern – Gwenhwyfar Kerwyn (g4 p4) (Gothsheep)
CRB-27 Crab – Cassandra Przymus (g3 p5) (Mr. Despair)
KTO-19 Kintaro – Kei Katou (g4 p4) (W.T. Fits)
CHP-1N Champion – Tyr Vandal (g4 p4) (DatonKallandor)

Alternates, please stand by:
Revenant Threshold
Renaissance Spam
Xmas Future
Mary Annette
Others (as-needed, but hopefully won't be)

Mission Objectives
Win the Hell’s Horses “Trial of Possession”

New House Rules:
Mystery Box: LeperFlesh got to decide whether the Goon portion of this mission took place on the ground or in Space. He chose space. You should all thank him. Profusely (possibly violently).

Microgravity: LRMs may not be fired indirectly.

Hard Vacuum? I have an app for that! Myomer needs oxygen to function. Like water, Hard Vacuum will render exposed myomer bundles effectively inert. An armor breach (the destruction of all armor covering a part of a ‘Mech) normally results in the total destruction the segment where the armor breach occurred, destroying all weapons and equipment in that section and rendering attached segments (arms, typically) inert. Precentor Mori anticipated the potential of a fight in vacuum and has had each ‘Mech’s myomer muscles coated with a substance to keep them oxygenated. Only an armor breach which also does at least one point of internal structure damage will result in a segment’s destruction, however any through-armor critical roll of 10, 11, or 12 will automatically cause a breach.

Harjel: Regardless of the state of their armor, a Clan ‘Mech will only suffer a breach on a critical result of 10, 11, or 12.

Battledome: The battlefield is the hull of the Union-class dropship “Blake’s Blessing.” Any enemy target 4-5 hexes away automatically benefits from partial cover. Any target six or more hexes away may not be targeted at all. Battlemechs will wrap from one half of the dropship to the other (the “dark side” has been mirrored for convenience / annoyance); and ‘Mechs may cross over at any point save the Dropship’s engines (i.e., the ‘bottom’ of the ‘map’).

Light- and Darksiders: A ‘Mech on the “light side” of the Dropship will gain an additional 2 heat each turn. A ‘Mech on the “dark side” of the Dropship will dissipate an additional 2 heat each turn. A ‘Mech in one of the border hexes generates heat normally.

Fuckin’ Magnets: Your ‘Mechs are equipped with magnetic feet that stick to the dropship and allow them to maneuver almost normally. Losing a leg or failing a piloting test will never result in a fall. Battlemechs will remain standing and attached to the dropship unless that ‘Mech has made a ‘run’ move. Any ‘Mech that runs must make a piloting test to avoid accidentally propelling itself into space. If a ‘Mech runs and fails a piloting test caused by a different source (due to damage or for any other reason) or loses a leg on the same turn in which it ran, it will also drift into space.

Self-Propelled: A ‘drifting’ ‘Mech with jump jets will return to the dropship two turns after it broke loose. It will always return to the hex it left, with the same facing. A ‘Mechwarrior may not use his or her jump jets to intentionally leave the dropship.

Jet-Assisted Recovery: A ‘Mech without jump jets may be recovered by a ‘Mech with Jump Jets, provided the recovery ‘Mech leaves the same (or an adjacent) hex within two turns. Those ‘Mechs return to the battlefield in two turns.

Ring Out: If a ‘Mech (equipped with Jump Jets or otherwise) is the last ComGuard unit engaged in the fight drifts away from the Dropship (due to any of the above reasons, including recovering an ally), the Hell’s Horses will win by default.

Armed and Dangerous: ComGuard ‘Mechs with LRMs may opt to enter battle with those LRMs armed. This renders them more vulnerable to overheating-based ammunition explosions, but removes the normal minimum range penalty altogether.

Finally, the map, in advance:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 26, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
This is going to be awesome.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
A SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE mission!

Precentor Miraborg!

Spaaaaaaace!

Flashbacks to that GODDAMNED ICE SHIP IN MW2MERCS

...spaace...

This is going to be wonderful. Make Blake proud, Acolytes.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Does Ring Out apply to Hell's Horses as well?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
this is prolly going to be the most brutal battle of the thread right here.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Does Ring Out apply to Hell's Horses as well?

Yes, it does.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

alright, boys arm those loving lrms and get to pounding on the clanners, GODDAMN HARJEL. don't run, and blow the everloving poo poo out of them, aim for the ACE first and wipe his smug rear end into the ground.

Good news, almost no chance of <Redacted> they don't fare to well out in space by themselves, and the dropship isn't being bored into.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Hellllll yeah. One thing I noticed though, is that you have me on the master list twice, once as for email and one thinking I have pm's, so hopefully you have my email address there.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh daaaaaaamn.

This is definitely going to be something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

PoptartsNinja posted:

Harjel: Regardless of the state of their armor, a Clan ‘Mech will only suffer a breach on a critical result of 10, 11, or 12.

That means through armor crits, right, not the normal ablative damage? So if you hit with 2 damage with only 1 armor left, then it will still destroy the section? Or do the goons have to roll 10-12 for even that?

• Locked thread