Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

And wacky engines without real throttle control that like to plunge the plane into the ground when you turn

And engines lubricated with (and thus constantly pissing) castor oil, in your face. So you, badass fighter jock, have constantly got the shits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

I believe it was Portsmouth. He didn't see combat, so far as I know, but he worked supply in the 8th Air Force and did a lot of TDY to forward areas to set up supply chains. Like this:

I think AAF 389 was in France. The gallery of his poo poo that I've scanned in is here:

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/phanatic/sets/72057594139739640/

I've posted this before in another thread, and it's loving hilarious:
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/phanatic/155807906/in/set-72057594139739640
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/phanatic/155809090/in/set-72057594139739640
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/phanatic/155811321/in/set-72057594139739640

I remember you posting those photos before. I especially remember the random hottie your grandpa had a picture of.

would.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

His grandpa probably did.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

holocaust bloopers posted:

I can write a list of the times that my mil job felt worthwhile:
--providing command and control for the rescue of 7 people on Haiti during the earthquake humanitarian efforts
--real world search and rescue of a bush pilot
--the time we intercepted a drug runner, handed the coordinates off to the Colombian AF, which promptly shot the plane down

That's all I got. About 20 hours of mission time out of 1100+. Yep.

I have failed to safe 5 lives, all of them where going to be dead by the time we lunched assets and we started the search. :smith:
I have saved 7 people in my 4 years in the coast guard by doing my job on the radio and coordinating the search efforts.

Also 3 and a half tons of the devil's weed (who cares) and 160 Haitian migrants that where returned to Haiti (and almost rioted on the ship too).

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

I have failed to safe 5 lives, all of them where going to be dead by the time we lunched assets and we started the search. :smith:

maybe if you stopped eating all the assets they wouldve lived you fat rear end in a top hat

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

maybe if you stopped eating all the assets they wouldve lived you fat rear end in a top hat

But I cant get enough of those deliciously cherry helos :fatsmith:

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

ded posted:

I heard the US mainland coastal batteries was pretty sweet place to be.

Being in a US tank in the Pacific theatre would probably be pretty cool, the Japanese tanks were more like armoured go-carts and their idea of an anti-tank weapon was a land mine on the end of a stick.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
What? No.

Edit: to clarify, yeah their tanks were pretty poo poo compared to what the US brought to the fight, mainly because Japan had an ill-advised hard on for indigenous design/production and the didn't have the resources to keep everything advancing. They basically didn't get past the mid-30s in design.

They had brutally effective antitank weapons and used them to great effect in places like Okinawa. Also they were pretty good at dialing field guns in on American tanks. There's a reason that almost every US tank you see in pictures has a number at the end of the nickname, like Blood & Guys II. The "II" etc shows up because the first one was destroyed. Lots of 3s and 4s.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 3, 2014

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
yea pretty sure islands and jungles are nightmare terrain for a tank, especially when youre facing off against fanatical japs who can jump out of a spiderhole with a satchel charge and ruin your loving day before you could even rip a fart

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Jonad posted:

Being in a US tank in the Pacific theatre would probably be pretty cool, the Japanese tanks were more like armoured go-carts and their idea of an anti-tank weapon was a land mine on the end of a stick.

I was talking to my wife's grandfather over Thanksgiving. I knew he was a truck driver state side during the war but I asked him about some stuff. Apparently he was training to be replacement infantry near the end of the war after being drafted. He told me he had been earmarked to be a flamethrower operator.

Well, he really didn't want to do that (I suspect he would have been sent to the Pacific) so he went and made friends with the Quartermaster at his training camp in Alabama. He somehow (conned?) got the Quartermaster to show him how to drive a semi-truck and he practiced like a motherfucker driving and backing that thing up. He was pretty good and could back the thing up to the dock in one go, which saw him receive a transfer to a QM Company and a posting to Fort Bragg running supplies. Luckiest SOB in his basic company I'm sure. He told me that the 82nd at Bragg always ran everywhere while he got to walk and drive with a smile. He drove concrete trucks until he retired in the 1980s sometime.

Godholio posted:

What? No.

Edit: to clarify, yeah their tanks were pretty poo poo compared to what the US brought to the fight, mainly because Japan had an ill-advised hard on for indigenous design/production and the didn't have the resources to keep everything advancing. They basically didn't get past the mid-30s in design.

They had brutally effective antitank weapons and used them to great effect in places like Okinawa. Also they were pretty good at dialing field guns in on American tanks. There's a reason that almost every US tank you see in pictures has a number at the end of the nickname, like Blood & Guys II. The "II" etc shows up because the first one was destroyed. Lots of 3s and 4s.

The Japanese were real assholes when it came to improvisation against US tanks. Their tanks were really lovely and I read about a engagement on either Iwo or Okinawa where four or five surrounded a Sherman and the Sherman took them out one by one as they kept firing. They also had no qualms about suicide bombing tanks. If you ever want to see a futile effort, read up on the Soviet invasion of Manchuria in August of 1945. The Japanese had no tanks or even effective AT guns so guys would stick explosives on the end of poles and charge the T-34s. They would almost always knock out the lead tank but then get obliterated by the rest of the column. The entire invasion is essentially the Manchurian units of the IJA buying time for people to evacuate back to Japan.

Burning Beard fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 3, 2014

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

ded posted:

I heard the US mainland coastal batteries was pretty sweet place to be.

Counterpoint: The Hawaii Garrison on Dec 7, 1941.

Pretty much any date after that would have been pretty chill to be in the Coastal Artillery.

E: RE: August Storm. The Soviets Encircled an area the size of Western Europe and attacked through terrain the Japanese thought was impassible. Whole Armoured Corps came out of mountains, swamps and deserts. The Soviets also finally got a chance to employ their airborne and amphibious troops, and caused total havoc all along the depth of the Japanese army. This was the ultimate fulfillment of the Soviet plan of Deep Battle - the lessons learned in 43-45 put to practice. There was nothing the Japanese could do on an Operational or Strategic level. It really is a sign of their determination that they held out as long as they did.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 3, 2014

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Pretty much any date after that would have been pretty chill to be in the Coastal Artillery.

E: RE: August Storm. The Soviets Encircled an area the size of Western Europe and attacked through terrain the Japanese thought was impassible. Whole Armoured Corps came out of mountains, swamps and deserts. There was nothing the Japanese could do on an Operational or Strategic level. It really is a sign of their determination that they held out as long as they did.

The coastal defense units were spread over the island. Only one was pearl harbor, another was at kaneohe. The other two coastal defense forts were in diamond head crater and right in the middle of waikiki.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a better place to spend the war than on coastal defense duty in waikiki.

There were casualties outside of pearl harbor and the other major military facilities, but they were orders of magnitude lower and mostly friendly fire, particularly AAA shells that missed the target and exploded on impacting the ground.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 3, 2014

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm pretty sure arriving as the FNG in the Hawaii coastal garrison on Dec 8th would suck in its own special way, too.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Frosted Flake posted:

You didn't notice how I said mainland right?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Jonad posted:

My wife's great uncle got a medal of honor by being a tanker in the pacific...

posthumous though.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

The Korean War was primarily an infantry slog I think, so being a US Tanker in a Pershing or something would probably have been pretty chill while still giving you the opportunity to mow down some hapless bastards.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Thump! posted:

The Korean War was primarily an infantry slog I think, so being a US Tanker in a Pershing or something would probably have been pretty chill while still giving you the opportunity to mow down some hapless bastards.

Unless you were a tank commander. I read an account from a New Zealand tanker that the North Korean signal corps guys would jump onto passing tanks and garrote the commanders until they added extra machine guns to clear the urban areas.

He also mentioned how his tank once shut down Seoul's entire electrified railway when their turret caught some overhead wires and dragged them for 200 yards before realizing.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Unless you were a tank commander. I read an account from a New Zealand tanker that the North Korean signal corps guys would jump onto passing tanks and garrote the commanders until they added extra machine guns to clear the urban areas.

He also mentioned how his tank once shut down Seoul's entire electrified railway when their turret caught some overhead wires and dragged them for 200 yards before realizing.

That.. wasn't NK signal corps, but allied. Us comms geeks like our long HF antenna wires, and we like to sling them from trees as high as we can throw the lead weights on the ends. Since we're weak rear end pussy REMFs that isn't very high, just high enough to clear a passing tank hauling rear end down the road is good enough. Clearing the neck of the tank commander is more optional.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
http://antipodeanarmour.blogspot.com/p/centurion-tanks-in-korea-report-by-lt-j.html

quote:

However, the fragmentation of the HE round is poor. It appears to fragment in strips the length of the shell. I have seen two Chows bisected nearly at the navel, it's true, but on the other hand I've also landed a shell about six ft from the heels of a fleeing Chow and he showed NO effect other than a surprising degree of acceleration.

quote:

During the Apr battle the need for a second MG was felt, as angry little men climbed on the top of the tks and beat on the hatches with fists and rifle butts. One answer was to charge through a mud house, but this was NOT thought to be the real answer, as it increased the shortage of houses already made obvious by zealous gunners. It was thought further that it was better to stop people getting on in the first place. Therefore .30 BROWNINGS were obtained, rumour has it at high cost (in gin), and mounted on the comds cupola. This has a dual advantage in that it solved the problem of the angry little men, and also prevented crew comds from being garrotted by signallers, with their customary homicidal tendencies towards tk men. The fury of the R. Sigs knew NO bounds as their now harmless tight wire traps were time and again swept serenely aside by the advancing tanks. Personally I cherished NO animosity towards the Sigs and contented myself with merely immobilising 3/4 of Seouls tram car service by laying claim, vi et armis, to some 200 yds of overhead wire, which I took with me for some four blocks. Fortunately for me someone preceding me had touched the same wire and blown the fuze, or I might have got summary justice. It was hanging low anyway.

The "April Battle" was specifically the Battle of the Imjin.

quote:

On one occasion, the Centurion tanks of the 8th were swamped by Chinese soldiers who were attempting to prise open the hatches to throw grenades inside. The response of the Irish Hussars was to turn the turrets of their tanks towards each other, and "hose" the enemy off with their Besa machine guns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqjp-WshC-4

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

That is the coolest loving thing I have read in weeks.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Zeris posted:

That is the coolest loving thing I have read in weeks.

I still use this as the best example of sarcasm in text.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

quote:

And there we stayed for some 55 days in all, with an occasional trip back to Sqn harbour for a clean up and a bottle of whisky. Amn and sups were brought up on de-turreted CENTURIONS called tugs. A most useful veh.

Occasionally, when we had made ourselves too obnoxious to him, Mr. Wu treated us-to some HV HE or some fd arty. This had little effect beyond making the Aussies tell us what we could do with our (horrid word) crab drawing tks. Mr. Wu put in 5 counter attacks, but the full force did NOT fall on us, and we were finally relieved by 7 RCT who took over our sector and whose PATTONS could NOT get to where the CENTURIONS had been until some days later.

That loving page.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's a section somewhere where they mention a little sport of sniping individual Chinese soldiers with their main gun.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Frosted Flake posted:

There was nothing the Japanese could do on an Operational or Strategic level. It really is a sign of their determination that they held out as long as they did.

If the Japanese had anything it was determination.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIC2lI2Exys :ussr:

Some footage from that incident in Grozny yesterday. These dudes are cops/militiamen right?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Dilettante. posted:

Some footage from that incident in Grozny yesterday. These dudes are cops/militiamen right?

Isn't chechnya run by a russian backed warlord? So it's probably that dudes guys wrecking poo poo

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

holocaust bloopers posted:

I can write a list of the times that my mil job felt worthwhile:
--providing command and control for the rescue of 7 people on Haiti during the earthquake humanitarian efforts

Was this the SOUTHCOM dudes there TDY whose hotel fell on them during the actual earthquake?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dilettante. posted:

I think the guys they're shooting AT are Islamic Chechens. There's so far been one confirmed civilian death; they attacked the press building last night and it unfortunately included some hotel rooms, so a civilian trapped inside died of smoke inhalation.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Dilettante. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIC2lI2Exys&t=166s:ussr:

lmao @ that dude running across the road eating poo poo.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
http://youtu.be/55_wtYx55FM?t=3m56s :captainpop:

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Jesus, make sure you stick around until at least the 5m mark.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

bitcoin bastard posted:

Jesus, make sure you stick around until at least the 5m mark.

Holy gently caress... glad to have never seen worse than halfassed mortars and 107s

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Heh a Russian dude condemning just wasting the gently caress out of civies in a hostile area.

:ironicat:

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

I wonder how they steer this thing. Can they steer it? Do they even really need to?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Noslo posted:

I wonder how they steer this thing. Can they steer it? Do they even really need to?

Steer by slowing one side down.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Just like any tracked vehicle, differential track rate (or the screws on that thing) give you a turn. One track moves while the other one is motionless or moving slower.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Mike-o posted:

Just like any tracked vehicle, differential track rate (or the screws on that thing) give you a turn. One track moves while the other one is motionless or moving slower.

Nerd

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afyp24oUGrA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

you posted the spanish version fucknuts